Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 04:14 AM   #691
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Trinigirl
Stats: 160/158/145/139/132
WOE: Moderate Carbs.
Start Date: April 1st 2013
Hi Guys,
Thanks for keeping up with the post, don't have much time in the spring to fall to post but I do read...love the tips on the sweet things..Yummy.
I'm holding on to my 5lb loss but stuck at this time..
So I think for May I'm going back to induction.
Hope everyone is doing well.
Enjoy your Sunday and have a wonderful week.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2013, 04:46 AM   #692
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/205/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Holding steady at 252.2. I started supplementing with Bragg's apple cider vinegar (ACV) yesterday. I think I'll keep it up. It's good for you and helps me get in more water which I usually need. Hope everyone has a good Sunday, and a great week. Here's to ending April strong!
Old 04-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #693
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Nanner
Stats: 253/229.5/200
WOE: low carb my way
Start Date: This time - 03/18/2013/JUDDD 04/29/2013
Sticking right now at 135 - should have a whoosh in a couple of days when TOM ends, I hope.

I enjoy the "creamsicles" also - I use Fruit Water, orange mango, and cream. It is delicious!
Old 04-28-2013, 09:45 AM   #694
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/178/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedStitch View Post
WOAH! This sounds like an amazing treat that I could get on board with!!!Thanks for this little tid bit of joy!
You're very welcome. Someone else here shared it with me a couple of months ago and I'm still thanking her every time I have one. They totally feel like dessert to me, and really satisfy the need for something "ice creamy." Enjoy.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #695
Major LCF Poster!

Yesterday was a good day on the woe, but it was a big eating day. I did well all day and then went to the neighbors for dinner. She used to do low carb and is thinking about starting again. She knows the program and kindly made a low carb dinner. And, she's an excellent cook.

Gorgeous ginger salmon, asparagus w/hollandaise and cauliflower mashed potatoes. Plus I brought a very rich low carb appetizer. It was the first time in months I had seconds. Of
everything. Despite the low carb of everything, it still shot my count up for the day, but it was so worth it. It is good to feast now and then.

Today will be a much lighter day. Breakfast sausages and a bit of cheese for brunch. A spinach salad w/caramelized bacon and onions for dinner.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:57 PM   #696
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jaded62
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/1/14
HI, I am getting over my weekend. I slipped up yesterday.I did jump right back on this morning.Hope everyone has had a great weekend.Mine was okay, I am tired,though.See you all later.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:31 PM   #697
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WickedStitch
Stats: 244/206/180
Start Date: Restart March 2013
I ate slightly high carb counts this weekend than I did during the week, but I also ate more often. I am not overly concerned about it. We'll see what the scale says tomorrow!
Old 04-29-2013, 06:01 AM   #698
Major LCF Poster!

Through some combination of ACV, fat bombs, flax, magnesium and a subsequent visit from the poop fairy I am down to 250.6 this morning! So I still have some hope to reach 250 in April. If not, it will be soon! But for some reason my work pants are feeling tighter this morning (I wore stretchy yoga pants all weekend). I think this must correspond to the inch I somehow gained in my hips in the past 3 weeks. I've lost at least 7 lbs. in that time and lost half an inch in my waist. Not sure what to make of that. I DO NOT need anything else on my hips!
Old 04-29-2013, 12:17 PM   #699

Well, I've officially switched over to JUDDD. Today is my down day, so I've had a 0-calorie fruit water for breakfast, 60-calorie soup and 45-calorie bread with 2 pieces of 15-calorie ham for lunch, grand total so far of 135 calories. I have to stay under 500, so I have 365 left for the day. Yesterday was my up day, and it was very strange to eat some carbs. I had a few potato chips with dip and a taco in a bag at my daughter's volleyball game. Spaghetti for supper last night. I didn't overdo it, though, and I think I reined my portions in really well - didn't even count up the calories because I don't think I came close to the 2000 I could have. One of these up days, I'm going to have pizza - haven't had it in 6 weeks, and that's a new record for me! We'll see if I finally get below 234 by next Monday.

Bye-bye 240's - 04/05/2013
230's - 05/12/2013
220's -
210's -
200!! -
Old 04-29-2013, 12:50 PM   #700
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
wow Nanner.....I am definitely interested in your progress and how JUDDD goes for you.

I looked into it but decided to stay with my low carb plan my way right now.

I wasn't 'mentally' there to tackle every other day at 500 cals. I am really interested to see how this goes for you.

track your weight loss and keep tabs on it. I will be asking you about it in a bit and see how you are doing because I might jump into a JUDDD type situation also.

-----------in general everyone, for me, I am floundering again.

I am leaning way too much toward protein only. I am a meat hound. Love it. but man it is getting tiresome.

So now I am adjusting up to 35 net carb for the day. See what it gets me. I ate 5 melba toast with melted american and tuna/mayo for lunch. WOW to even eat those melba toast in a way freaked me out. I gave up all breads, crackers etc. but realized I gotta be real here when I get TOO strict with my menu, I stray.

time to make a good meal plan for the day and see what it gets me.

so today will be 1450 calories with 35 nc.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger828 View Post
wow Nanner.....I am definitely interested in your progress and how JUDDD goes for you.

I looked into it but decided to stay with my low carb plan my way right now.

I wasn't 'mentally' there to tackle every other day at 500 cals. I am really interested to see how this goes for you.

track your weight loss and keep tabs on it. I will be asking you about it in a bit and see how you are doing because I might jump into a JUDDD type situation also.

-----------in general everyone, for me, I am floundering again.

I am leaning way too much toward protein only. I am a meat hound. Love it. but man it is getting tiresome.

So now I am adjusting up to 35 net carb for the day. See what it gets me. I ate 5 melba toast with melted american and tuna/mayo for lunch. WOW to even eat those melba toast in a way freaked me out. I gave up all breads, crackers etc. but realized I gotta be real here when I get TOO strict with my menu, I stray.

time to make a good meal plan for the day and see what it gets me.

so today will be 1450 calories with 35 nc.
I'll be sticking around here because I like the group and keeping tabs. I was a bit worried about doing it also, but I'm sick of being at the same 2 lb for 4 weeks now. I hope this works. Today hasn't been too bad, actually. I just had a bag of popcorn for 100 calories, so I'm at 235 now and will be having a repeat of what I ate for lunch for supper, so I may even get in a 70-calorie fudgesicle. I also bought sugar-free Jello, which is 10 calories for a little carton. In between, I'm alternating my water with my 0 calorie fruit water.

There is a gal on the JUDDD board who started at about the same weight as me but started about 3 weeks later than me, and she's already 5 lb lighter than me, so it must be working for her!
Old 04-29-2013, 03:49 PM   #702
Major LCF Poster!

Tigger. Absolutely, when most of us get too strict with ourselves a binge of small or large nature is right around the corner. I think 35 nc and 1450 calories a day sounds good. It will give you the variety of foods you need to stay on the wagon.

Good luck with JUDD, Nanner. Hope it gets you there. My question is how do you do maintenance on JUDD? Or do you just keep alternating fasting with eat days? And yeah, I bet it was strange to eat carbs w/out guilt! Do tell us how it goes for you.

I'm on a slower weight loss plan, averaging around 30 grams of carbs a day, w/the occasional treat dinner that shoots me up to 50. I try never to go over 50. The weight loss has been slow but sure, which is good, but I've done this for my health this time, as I got a pre-diabetes II diagnosis.

I keep a daily carb log and today I decided to add calories to it. This is a decision that has evolved from "no way am I counting calories too," to wouldn't it be good to know how many a day I'm eating. I have not done this with a goal to limit calories to any specific number, but to be aware.

I have been reading some articles by people who "fatted" up to 2500 to 3000 calories a day without being aware of it, and wondering why they weren't losing weight. With all the mayo, cream, butter and oils this can get away from you. Although I must say that I know my caloric intake is down simply because my appetite has decreased so much.

My priority remains Low Carb as opposed to Low Calorie. One of my trepidations about counting calories is getting obsessive about it. These things tend to have their own momentum, and just keeping track can lead to yet another regimen. But as I strive to get healthier, losing weight is part of that, and if what I'm doing stops working, slow as it is working, then it will be good to know more about where to tweak, and calories are an issue.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:33 PM   #703
Major LCF Poster!

ok Nanner with a 100 cal. bag of popcorn on a down day, I have to say that is not hard to handle at all that would suit me wonderful actually.

thanks for sharing your info as you do this plan.

that is interesting also that the gal who was later than you, has dropped 5 more than you doing JUDDD. that is an eye opener. huh
Old 04-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #704
Major LCF Poster!

BlueSk
I agree about the 'fatted' up. I did that a few times. the oils, butter and chicken skin from meals etc. can easily get away from you. you can make huge calorie days if not careful. at some point I do have to rein myself in with all the fats.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:38 PM   #705
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jaded62
Start Date: 1/1/14
Hi Gang, Hope everyone had a good day.Mine was busy. I had many errands to do and grocery shopping. Let me ask a question.Has pork turned into gold?? I could not believe how much bacon had gone up.Is it because of all the attention it is getting in the media?? I can`t get over it. I will just have to stop having it more than once or twice per month.
I will be curious to know how JUDDD works for you,Nanner.I hope well. I think I have wayyy too much weight to lose to try it,yet.I did well today,stayed on my plan.Have any of you tried the sugar free pudding cups?? I bought some,only 5 carbs per cup.I will use it as a once in a while treat.I like the carbmaster yogurt, but had to go another grocery store and couldn`t get it.See you all later.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:45 PM   #706

In speaking about counting calories, I had found a calculator in the lobby that tells you how many fat calories, protein calories you should be having in relation to how many carbs. It was a bit complicated, and I wasn't even sure I did it right, but it was interesting to see what I should be eating in terms of fat and protein.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...carb-diet.html
Old 04-29-2013, 09:27 PM   #707
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanner View Post
In speaking about counting calories, I had found a calculator in the lobby that tells you how many fat calories, protein calories you should be having in relation to how many carbs. It was a bit complicated, and I wasn't even sure I did it right, but it was interesting to see what I should be eating in terms of fat and protein.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...carb-diet.html
Nanner dear, now I have at least two things to thank you for! Sara Lee's 7 carb a slice bread, AND now this calculator. This told me how many calories I should shoot for to lose weight at my age, height, weight and activity level.

And interestingly, on this my first day of logging calories, I came in at almost exactly what I should be, according to this calculator.

I think after the first and easiest whoosh of Low Carb dieting, the biggest favor this woe does you is decreasing your appetite so that you can come in at the necessary calorie limit with relatively little pain. I am really evolving in how to tweak this thing, with the help of folks like you.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #708

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
Nanner dear, now I have at least two things to thank you for! Sara Lee's 7 carb a slice bread, AND now this calculator. This told me how many calories I should shoot for to lose weight at my age, height, weight and activity level.

And interestingly, on this my first day of logging calories, I came in at almost exactly what I should be, according to this calculator.

I think after the first and easiest whoosh of Low Carb dieting, the biggest favor this woe does you is decreasing your appetite so that you can come in at the necessary calorie limit with relatively little pain. I am really evolving in how to tweak this thing, with the help of folks like you.
Glad to have helped!
Old 04-30-2013, 06:00 AM   #709
Major LCF Poster!

Woo hoo! I did it, I got down to 250 in April! That's 50 lbs. lost in 5.5 months!

I swear this Bragg's apple cider vinegar I am drinking (diluted) twice a day is some miracle potion! I have lost weight every day since starting it a few days ago. I have also been eating fat bombs, so I think those may have helped as well.

Nanner - good luck on JUDDD! Let us know how it works for you! My MIL is doing a modified type - 2 days a week of 500 cal. It's working for her. She doesn't have too much to lose.

Jaded - I posted in another thread about bacon prices but it seems to have disappeared. I think it got political after the OP asked for it not to be. I read last summer when we were having a drought in the midwest that bacon prices(specifically for some reason) would increase in a few months and apparently they have. I have been buying the pre-cooked Hormel at Costco mostly. It's fast and easy but you don't get all the good bacon drippings. My DH usually eats 6 slices for breakfast (I think that's all he eats for breakfast) so we go through it fast.

Blue Skies - great job on keeping your calories where you want them to be! I don't track every day but think most days I am between 1300-1500. I just don't get that hungry eating LC.

Trigger and WickedStitch - hope you both had a good day yesterday. Just stick with it!
Old 04-30-2013, 07:32 AM   #710
Major LCF Poster!

WAY to go Misti

you are rocking it so good! I am super happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you are in the zone. stay there and make the most of it and keep on trucking down that scale!

a while ago I read abuot the vinegar in a person's diet and the great benefits. I forgot most of the info but it is a great edition for your body. I have to hit the health food store tomorrow. I will be picking up a bottle and doing the same. hey, any help I can get

Last edited by Trigger828; 04-30-2013 at 07:33 AM..
Old 04-30-2013, 08:45 AM   #711

Congratulations, Misti!!! You must feel wonderful!

Having my up day today. I made it yesterday with 370 calories, less than I had planned.

Today, so far, I have had a sausage, egg, and cheese croissant from Burger King, 2 miniature monster cookies, a small glass of nonfat milk, and a big cup of coffee with CoffeeMate and sugar. Have to check my calories so far, but I can have up to 2100, I think, so I might still have my pizza for supper, we'll see.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:15 AM   #712
Major LCF Poster!

AFTER ALOT of CONSIDERATION I also am joining JUDDD.

I started with atkins. it was so super strict and anytime I tried to even add 4-5-6 net carbs up to 30-35 nc I would stall or gain. I mean come on really? atkins food was so restrictive.

it helped me lose 30 lbs but of course that was the big drops at the start. lately I floundered on atkins so I switched to low carb MY WAY.

but I haven't seemed to make a good commitment on it. Now it is going to be LOW CARB MY WAY ON JUDDD. I think I need the down day to control my calories.

Nanner, I am right there with ya

my down day is today. first day. I had a 240 calorie salad. It was wild whipping out the food scale again to measure my 4 oz of chicken breast (cals 120). I tracked everything and measured everything. Not a calorie got by me on that salad LOL

tonight is 210 calories worth of chicken/broccoli and bit of alfredo sauce.

then done for the day coming in at 500.

tomorrow is UP day but not for one minute am I considering it a free day. It will be low carbish, healthy foods etc. I have no desire to start to eat the junk that got me to this point again so I am not letting myself off the hook----but I know a real sandwich on real bread is in my future.

OK---JUDDD start today and I will track my foods, track my progress etc. and let ya all know what happens. new experiment for me. I hope I do well.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:32 AM   #713
Major LCF Poster!

Bravo, Misti! Wow, what an accomplishment. 50 pounds in 5 months. Fantastic!

The vinegar thing is interesting. Found this on WebMD.

"Diabetes. The effect of vinegar on blood sugar levels is perhaps the best researched and the most promising of apple cider vinegar's possible health benefits. Several studies have found that vinegar may help lower glucose levels. For instance, a 2007 study of 11 people with type 2 diabetes found that taking two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar before bed lowered glucose levels in the morning by 4%-6%."

I struggle w/my blood pressure and many say ACV lowers it. But when I tried it years ago, it actually shot my blood pressure up! So I won't be trying this, but I love vinegarettes on my salads, and this is good reason to have more of them.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:39 AM   #714

Quote:
AFTER ALOT of CONSIDERATION I also am joining JUDDD.

I started with atkins. it was so super strict and anytime I tried to even add 4-5-6 net carbs up to 30-35 nc I would stall or gain. I mean come on really? atkins food was so restrictive.

it helped me lose 30 lbs but of course that was the big drops at the start. lately I floundered on atkins so I switched to low carb MY WAY.

but I haven't seemed to make a good commitment on it. Now it is going to be LOW CARB MY WAY ON JUDDD. I think I need the down day to control my calories.

Nanner, I am right there with ya

my down day is today. first day. I had a 240 calorie salad. It was wild whipping out the food scale again to measure my 4 oz of chicken breast (cals 120). I tracked everything and measured everything. Not a calorie got by me on that salad LOL

tonight is 210 calories worth of chicken/broccoli and bit of alfredo sauce.

then done for the day coming in at 500.

tomorrow is UP day but not for one minute am I considering it a free day. It will be low carbish, healthy foods etc. I have no desire to start to eat the junk that got me to this point again so I am not letting myself off the hook----but I know a real sandwich on real bread is in my future.

OK---JUDDD start today and I will track my foods, track my progress etc. and let ya all know what happens. new experiment for me. I hope I do well.
Good luck, Trigger - you've got a good plan going! I went out and bought more light Progresso soups today and some juice popsicles that are 45 calories a pop, so I think that will help me get through the down days. Of course, the 45 calorie bread is a great down day staple, and I'm going to top it with either Cheez Whiz or Laughing Cow cheese wedges.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:10 AM   #715
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
AFTER ALOT of CONSIDERATION I also am joining JUDDD. OK---JUDDD start today and I will track my foods, track my progress etc. and let ya all know what happens. new experiment for me. I hope I do well.
Good luck Trigger! It will be interesting to hear about how you and Nanner do this, and what the new challenges are.

Is there a maintenance level on JUDD that you climb to, or do you just do it for awhile to drop pounds?

I'll be cheering you gals on from the sidelines---don't think I could face the low cal days. When I went Low Carb here's how I felt when I said good bye to skinless, boneless chicken breasts:

BTW, there was a real sandwich in my life today. Thanks to Nanner's tip on Sara Lee 7 grams a slice bread, I had a braunschweiger on toast w/tomato slices and onions. It was d-freaking-licious. I was getting stricter w/carbs and the kind of carbs than is good for me and my ability to maintain. So there will be the more occasional sandy in my life!

It's all good for today though. Have a very low carb dinner planned, strip steak and butter and lemon green beans, so I should do just fine on my carb count.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #716
Major LCF Poster!

smart move on the soups Nanner. I also will hit the store and find some appropriate ones. good thing soup fills me up. should help us alot.

I bought 40 calorie sugar free FUDGE pops. Oh yea. I will be eating a few of those on my down days

I think right now the difference for switching plans is breaking from the old routine. Like at 11:30 I ate my salad. Well befoer around now I would have a bite of something. So my mind is thinking this...but of course I won't til dinner.

a few days to make that switch over and I should be fine. Funny thing is I can come up with many 150-250 meals that I can easily make and enjoy. JUDDD might work well for me.

One thing tho----I kinda now see myself switching from my 'full fat atkins type' foods back to ''low fat'' variations? I guess I kinda gotta do that in a way right?
Old 04-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #717
Major LCF Poster!

BlueS

maintenance for JUDDD is more like 5:2
eat 5 days reasonable of course but as you like, and then 2 days during the week you have down days of say, 500-700 calories.

maintenance is kinda a way to find what works for you so nothing really is set in stone. but you have to keep some down days to balance out the others. most people can do 2 days on lower cals for 5 days worth of more normal eating.

---I think I got that right from what I read ---
Old 04-30-2013, 10:59 AM   #718

Quote:
Good luck Trigger! It will be interesting to hear about how you and Nanner do this, and what the new challenges are.

Is there a maintenance level on JUDD that you climb to, or do you just do it for awhile to drop pounds?

I'll be cheering you gals on from the sidelines---don't think I could face the low cal days. When I went Low Carb here's how I felt when I said good bye to skinless, boneless chicken breasts:

BTW, there was a real sandwich in my life today. Thanks to Nanner's tip on Sara Lee 7 grams a slice bread, I had a braunschweiger on toast w/tomato slices and onions. It was d-freaking-licious. I was getting stricter w/carbs and the kind of carbs than is good for me and my ability to maintain. So there will be the more occasional sandy in my life!

It's all good for today though. Have a very low carb dinner planned, strip steak and butter and lemon green beans, so I should do just fine on my carb count.
There is a maintenance - I think it is a 5:2 ratio - five up days and 2 down days, if I'm not mistaken. Something like that. I think you have to kind of tweak to see what works best for you.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #719

Quote:
smart move on the soups Nanner. I also will hit the store and find some appropriate ones. good thing soup fills me up. should help us alot.

I bought 40 calorie sugar free FUDGE pops. Oh yea. I will be eating a few of those on my down days

I think right now the difference for switching plans is breaking from the old routine. Like at 11:30 I ate my salad. Well befoer around now I would have a bite of something. So my mind is thinking this...but of course I won't til dinner.

a few days to make that switch over and I should be fine. Funny thing is I can come up with many 150-250 meals that I can easily make and enjoy. JUDDD might work well for me.

One thing tho----I kinda now see myself switching from my 'full fat atkins type' foods back to ''low fat'' variations? I guess I kinda gotta do that in a way right?
I imagine the low fat will need to come in on the down days, but you can still enjoy the full-fat foods on the up days. I used to use I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray a lot back in my low fat days and I could make a lot of low fat meals that were really good. I wish JUDDD was low fat instead of low calorie - I was an expert at low fat for a while there and lost 30 lb on it pre-children.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #720
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WickedStitch
Stats: 244/206/180
Start Date: Restart March 2013
Quote:

I have been reading some articles by people who "fatted" up to 2500 to 3000 calories a day without being aware of it, and wondering why they weren't losing weight. With all the mayo, cream, butter and oils this can get away from you. Although I must say that I know my caloric intake is down simply because my appetite has decreased so much.
I could see this as being an issue for many moving to JUDDD from LC. On LC you get used to eating all those high calorie foods; butter, real mayo etc
Closed Thread