Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 10:53 AM   #661
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jaded62
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/1/14
Trigger, I have had 3 back fractures,one from making a bed.I have 2 bulging disc,sciatica,nerve damage,pinched nerves(well),triple D and the least little thing causes me to pull my lower back muscles.It is pure heck !!! I feel for him. I KNOW what he is going through. I am scared of surgery.IF it continues to get worse, I will have to look into it,though.

Hope everyone is having a great day. Mine is going okay. I am on plan and in ketosis. Hope to get to walk today. IF my back will let me. See you later.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #662
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Nanner
Stats: 253/229.5/200
WOE: low carb my way
Start Date: This time - 03/18/2013/JUDDD 04/29/2013
Sorry about the back problems - I have great sympathy for those who have chronic back pain!

Still on track but still bouncing my 2 lb around. I may be getting TOM, which, though I usually curse it, would maybe be my solution, so I'm hoping. I've been cramping for 3 weeks and should have gotten it 3 weeks ago but perimenopause is a mysterious thing. If that doesn't cure my problem, then I'm switching to JUDDD for a month or two to see if that will break my "stall".

How long do you go without losing before you are considered stalled?

Bye-bye 240's - 04/05/2013
230's - 05/12/2013
220's -
210's -
200!! -
Old 04-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #663
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Well, I was right about the PMS. TOM arrived last night and scale was down a bit this morning. Hopefully I was just retaining a bit of water and it will keep moving down through the weekend.

Today
B - Atkins Advantage Shake
L - Atkins Crustless Chicken Pot Pie meal
D - ??? no idea.....
Old 04-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #664
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanner View Post
Sorry about the back problems - I have great sympathy for those who have chronic back pain!

Still on track but still bouncing my 2 lb around. I may be getting TOM, which, though I usually curse it, would maybe be my solution, so I'm hoping. I've been cramping for 3 weeks and should have gotten it 3 weeks ago but perimenopause is a mysterious thing. If that doesn't cure my problem, then I'm switching to JUDDD for a month or two to see if that will break my "stall".

How long do you go without losing before you are considered stalled?
LOL sounds like we have the same problem! I think 6 or 8 weeks with no pounds or inches lost is a stall? But I'm not 100% sure.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #665
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
wow Jaded you got nailed for sure with those problems.

I guess one can only do what they can to help themselves. I told hubby to lose 10-15 lbs. he isn't overweight but has the 'tummy a bit' so I told him to take off the gut and help the back he said he would try and I applaud him for that.

MAN GUYS---I am snacky today. just want to nibble. I gotta go outside and do something. out of the house for sure. scale the same. down .2, will take it tho and be happy with it

everyone hang in there!!!!!!!!
Old 04-25-2013, 07:28 PM   #666
Major LCF Poster!

Thank`s for the sympathy,folks.I appreciate it.I can relate to the perimenopause problem,it stinks.I do the exact same thing, Nanner.It is hard to deal with.
My day has been pretty good. I stayed on plan. I did not get to walk. I cleaned my house and after I did that my back would not let me do anything else.I will tomorrow.I might have to try walking every other day untill I can build up some stamina backwise.It will all work out.I will weigh tomorrow morning I hope I am down a pound or two.Everyone have a good night.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:54 PM   #667
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/174/165 - 5'11"
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Hi guys.

Sorry to hear about the back problems here. And although I understand the fear of surgery, I will say I've had a few friends who have done it, regarding disc/nerve problems, and it's a lot better than it used to be, and every one of them came out of it much better, without a huge amt of down time, and wish they'd done it long ago. Something to consider and ask around about.

I had a pretty good LC day. I ate super clean for most of the day because I knew I was meeting a pal for dinner and suspected dessert might be on the agenda. I had green beans and a salad and split a rib eye w/her. Then we split a creme brûlée, my all time fave dessert and the only one that really tempts me. And this place makes it w/a chocolate bottom!

Dear Lord, it was glorious and I enjoyed every bite, and I won't spoil it with an ounce of guilt. Turns out creme brulee is about 18-20 grams of carbs per serving, and who knows exactly what they consider a serving. So even though we split it, I added the whole 20 grams to my daily carb log to account for the chocolate. And I still ended up at 35 grams, for the day, not so bad.

Tomorrow I will be a very good brownie, and that means not eating one, lol. I've had my treat for this week, and that actually inspires me to stay clean and mean for days to come, knowing there'll always be a time when another treat will come my way. NOT living a life without the occasional treat, nope just not going to do it.

Oh, and can't believe I didn't mention this first, I whooshed this AM, 3 more lbs gone. It was good to see as I waited a bit for this one.

I know many cannot or feel they cannot allow themselves a treat---which imo leads to having a treat anyway, when you least expect to give in, and often that kind of treat is a binge.

I did not binge tonight, knew I'd probably have dessert and planned for it. This is the kind of woe I think I have a chance to stick to.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #668
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Nanner
Stats: 253/229.5/200
WOE: low carb my way
Start Date: This time - 03/18/2013/JUDDD 04/29/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
Hi guys.

Sorry to hear about the back problems here. And although I understand the fear of surgery, I will say I've had a few friends who have done it, regarding disc/nerve problems, and it's a lot better than it used to be, and every one of them came out of it much better, without a huge amt of down time, and wish they'd done it long ago. Something to consider and ask around about.

I had a pretty good LC day. I ate super clean for most of the day because I knew I was meeting a pal for dinner and suspected dessert might be on the agenda. I had green beans and a salad and split a rib eye w/her. Then we split a creme brûlée, my all time fave dessert and the only one that really tempts me. And this place makes it w/a chocolate bottom!

Dear Lord, it was glorious and I enjoyed every bite, and I won't spoil it with an ounce of guilt. Turns out creme brulee is about 18-20 grams of carbs per serving, and who knows exactly what they consider a serving. So even though we split it, I added the whole 20 grams to my daily carb log to account for the chocolate. And I still ended up at 35 grams, for the day, not so bad.

Tomorrow I will be a very good brownie, and that means not eating one, lol. I've had my treat for this week, and that actually inspires me to stay clean and mean for days to come, knowing there'll always be a time when another treat will come my way. NOT living a life without the occasional treat, nope just not going to do it.

Oh, and can't believe I didn't mention this first, I whooshed this AM, 3 more lbs gone. It was good to see as I waited a bit for this one.

I know many cannot or feel they cannot allow themselves a treat---which imo leads to having a treat anyway, when you least expect to give in, and often that kind of treat is a binge.

I did not binge tonight, knew I'd probably have dessert and planned for it. This is the kind of woe I think I have a chance to stick to.
To me, though, this is why we call it low carb my way, because if I'm going to change for life, I have to be realistic and consider the fact that I will never be able to say no to special events, holidays, birthdays, occasional pizza, etc, but if we plan for it and get right back to it, then it is doable. I could never get away from every single treat for the rest of my life but to just consider them "a treat" and not my every day food anymore. You had a plan and you did great in working it in to your day.

I finally had 2 pieces of sugar free Russell Stover chocolate, caramel, pecan candies for 2 g of carbs today. First chocolate in 5-1/2 weeks and it was delicious!
Old 04-25-2013, 10:19 PM   #669
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanner View Post
To me, though, this is why we call it low carb my way, because if I'm going to change for life, I have to be realistic and consider the fact that I will never be able to say no to special events, holidays, birthdays, occasional pizza, etc, but if we plan for it and get right back to it, then it is doable. I could never get away from every single treat for the rest of my life but to just consider them "a treat" and not my every day food anymore. You had a plan and you did great in working it in to your day.

I finally had 2 pieces of sugar free Russell Stover chocolate, caramel, pecan candies for 2 g of carbs today. First chocolate in 5-1/2 weeks and it was delicious!
Yes Nanner, this is the way I see it too. And I really like what you said about "just considering it a treat" is a gain. Many of us used to consider such indulgences a part of our daily lifestyle. Sometimes I think we don't appreciate these parameter changes we are making, and instead dwell on the occasional bad carb that crosses our lips. And yes, this is why I know I'm really home on this Low Carb our way thread.

Glad you enjoyed your chocolate, caramel pecan candies. And 2 grams?!?!? Meh. Nothing to worry about, and oh the pleasure. Sweet dreams dear, back to it tomorrow and onward.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:53 AM   #670
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

up a little bit.

bloated out.

had a small bag of micro popcorn last night. bored watching tv late at night. could have been far worse

everyone hang in there and keep the faith !!
Old 04-26-2013, 07:55 AM   #671
Major LCF Poster!

I guess I was right about TOM bloat. I am down to 252.2 today. There is still hope for me to reach 250 in April!
Old 04-26-2013, 08:50 AM   #672
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WickedStitch
Start Date: Restart ever on going
Jaded,
My body lets me know when I can walk and when I cannot. So far it seems to be okay with 3x/week. Last week I started out with a mile a day, this week I bumped it up to two miles a day.

I refuse to over do it and have my body retaliate. Do what you are able to, when you are able to.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:34 AM   #673
Major LCF Poster!

Thank You, WickedStitch. I am going to have to do it this way. At one time I was walking 2 hours per day,5 days per week. I would LOVE to get back to that. Maybe,one day. Right now, I am doing well to do 20 minutes every other day. It is hard to get back into it after being on no exercise for so long.
CONGRATS to all those that have lost weight this week !!!! I am down 2 pounds, myself. NOT much, I will claim it,though.
I am with all of you on an occasional treat. That is why I am doing this my way.
We are having company this weekend.I hope I can stay on my plan and not fall too far. Wish me luck. Hope everyone has a great day.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:48 AM   #674
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wicked you are so right about that.

never overdo. you will hurt yourself. you will then stop any activity cause it hurt ya, etc.

take it slow and easy. work around what you can do. don't give yourself any hurts to make it stop.

the stupid old saying....slow and steady wins the race. It does
Old 04-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #675
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

up a bit still

it is ok. I am eating lighter today.

ceasar salad for lunch

cup of berries for snack

dinner is a big old pork chop and asparagus wtih garlic butter tonight

I thought about the scale. A bunch of weeks ago I would jump back up to like 207-208.

Now when I bloat back up from, say a bit of popcorn late at night, I am hitting 200.8-201.8

So I remember saying....OMG NOT 208 AGAIN!!

now I am saying---darn, 200-201 again

well.....at least one thing is good. the stinking number IS MOVING down.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #676
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger828 View Post

I thought about the scale. A bunch of weeks ago I would jump back up to like 207-208.

Now when I bloat back up from, say a bit of popcorn late at night, I am hitting 200.8-201.8

So I remember saying....OMG NOT 208 AGAIN!!

now I am saying---darn, 200-201 again

well.....at least one thing is good. the stinking number IS MOVING down.
I know this exact feeling. And it IS moving down. It WILL move down!
Old 04-26-2013, 03:31 PM   #677
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOl

yup, it IS MOVING DOWN
and that really is all that matters in the long run. down is good

but man it seems like forever but hey, I don't have anywhere to go, ya know

just keep doing what we are doing and let the magic happen
Old 04-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #678
Major LCF Poster!

Trigger---this is the way I always lose weight. I know the first time the scale drops 2 or 3 pounds, it will bounce up again with any excuse it can think up. But if I stay on plan for the better part I know that within a week it will stick. Then a week or so later it starts all over again. But once that number goes down the first time, I know I'm on my way down again, even if it bounces a few times. I think of it as the bounce spectrum, and you are so right, all that matters is that we'er bouncing at a lower and lower weight.

Well, spring has finally decided it might show up here, that's the good news. The bad news is with the sunshine and higher temps the food trucks are back downtown. I work a couple of days a week with clients and colleagues downtown, and they all love to lunch from the food trucks. And who can blame them, so many trucks, so many delicious things, all carbilicious. During the winter we all grab a salad on the skyways, which worked great for me on my woe.

So today I went to a Thai food truck with them and got a chicken curry burrito bowl without the burrito and the rice. Sometimes that works and is good, not today. It was edible, but without either the burrito or the rice it was just a mushy salad. Glad I stayed on plan, but it wasn't a good lunch, so looks like I'm going to have to go my own way for lunch in the future.

To make up for the crappy lunch, I have a fabulous dinner to look forward to. A strip steak w/my FAVE, so easy, so yummy sauce recipe from this site and a slice of Linda Sue's Texas Sweet onion pie---which is so delicious with a steak, it leaves a baked potato or fries in the dust. One or two squares of Trader Joes dark chocolate and almond bar for dessert. Then a dark cherry cream soda for a snack later. Lucky me.

All in all I'll come in at about 20 grams for today, and that's as low as I go, so it's a good day.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #679
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ok---this caught my eye

dark cherry cream soda?

that sounds great

is it a certain brand? or are you making it with a combination of things?

bounce spectrum. I like that term. You named it....we gotta have that stick now
Old 04-26-2013, 06:13 PM   #680
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger828 View Post
ok---this caught my eye

dark cherry cream soda?

that sounds great

is it a certain brand? or are you making it with a combination of things?

bounce spectrum. I like that term. You named it....we gotta have that stick now
Cream sodas---one of the happiest things about a LC woe to me. Take a tall glass and fill it w/ice. (The colder this drink is, the better) Pour in HWC till it hits a third of the glass (which is not really a third, because of the ice). Pour in any one of a variety of diet soda flavors. That's it, two ingredients.

Be sure to mix very well as the cream wants to hang out at the bottom. As I drink it, I add more soda and stir again, as you'll find you barely use half a can to begin with. A half a cup of cream equals about 3 grams of carbs, so if you need to add more cream you can. But I do just swell with a third of the glass.

I love to do this with Diet Rite Tangerine, and Hanson's or Zevia's Black cherry soda, (I wrongly said dark cherry, when it's black cherry) and Hanson's strawberry/kiwi. All of these do not use aspertame, if that's a problem for you, as it is for some. I have also done this with A&W root beer---a brown cow of sorts. I have a cream soda almost every night. It's a great way to end the day, so delish and satisfying to me.

And yes ma'm---here's to a "bounce spectrum" that just keeps going down!
Old 04-26-2013, 06:51 PM   #681
Major LCF Poster!

I thought I did well today, but we went to KFC for supper and I just realized that 1 serving of cole slaw has 19 g carbs and 14 g sugar!!! OMG. I am never eating it again. Totally not worth it. I thought it tasted sweet but not that sweet!

B - Atkins Advantage shake
L - Atkins Chicken Broccoli Alfredo meal
S - 1 oz. salted peanuts
D - 1 KFC grilled wing, 1 KFC grilled breast, 1 serving cole slaw, 1 serving green beans
S - Arizona Diet Arnold Palmer (2 g carb)

Totals for the day so far:
Calories 1165
Carbs 45 g
Fiber 14 g
Fat 65 g
Protein 100 g
Sodium 2805 mg

At least I'm under 50 g carb total and only 31 net. I think I'll have a fat bomb later to up my calories a bit for the day.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #682
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, and one more thing about dinner tonight. When I make sweet onion pie, we always have a half or more of the pie left---one generous slice is always enough for me. It refrigerates very well, and heats up in the microwave very well.

So tomorrow for lunch or brunch---the combination of breakfast and lunch---I will warm up another slice of onion pie and have it with breakfast sausages drizzled with sugar free syrup. Believe me, this is d-freaking-relish.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:23 PM   #683
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
I thought I did well today, but we went to KFC for supper and I just realized that 1 serving of cole slaw has 19 g carbs and 14 g sugar!!! OMG. I am never eating it again. Totally not worth it. I thought it tasted sweet but not that sweet!

B - Atkins Advantage shake
L - Atkins Chicken Broccoli Alfredo meal
S - 1 oz. salted peanuts
D - 1 KFC grilled wing, 1 KFC grilled breast, 1 serving cole slaw, 1 serving green beans
S - Arizona Diet Arnold Palmer (2 g carb)

Totals for the day so far:
Calories 1165
Carbs 45 g
Fiber 14 g
Fat 65 g
Protein 100 g
Sodium 2805 mg

At least I'm under 50 g carb total and only 31 net. I think I'll have a fat bomb later to up my calories a bit for the day.
Misti---kudos to you for keeping track of all of this! I only track the carbs, but this works for me as after being on my share of cutting calorie diets, I have an overall idea of the range of calories I'm eating in. And I don't know if I'm in ketosis or not, but my appetite is way down, and I just can't eat LC like I used to eat. I only ate 2/3 of my delishy dinner tonight. Quit when I was satisfied, and our darlin' doggie reaped the benefits of my decreased appetite once again.

(Yeah, we feed our doggie human leftovers without shame or guilt. We don't overdo it, and she's one of the happiest dogs on the planet. AND, if I could be as svelte as she remains, I'd be thrilled.)

Your calorie total is very low, so I'd say you did great today!
Old 04-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #684
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Misti---kudos to you for keeping track of all of this! I only track the carbs, but this works for me as after being on my share of cutting calorie diets, I have an overall idea of the range of calories I'm eating in. And I don't know if I'm in ketosis or not, but my appetite is way down, and I just can't eat LC like I used to eat. I only ate 2/3 of my delishy dinner tonight. Quit when I was satisfied, and our darlin' doggie reaped the benefits of my decreased appetite once again.

(Yeah, we feed our doggie human leftovers without shame or guilt. We don't overdo it, and she's one of the happiest dogs on the planet. AND, if I could be as svelte as she remains, I'd be thrilled.)

Your calorie total is very low, so I'd say you did great today!
I don't keep track everyday, since I ate pretty much all processed food today (eek!!) I was able to easily plug what I ate into an online tracker and it spit out the numbers for me.

Sounds like you have lucky dogs!
Old 04-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #685
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Cream sodas---one of the happiest things about a LC woe to me. Take a tall glass and fill it w/ice. (The colder this drink is, the better) Pour in HWC till it hits a third of the glass (which is not really a third, because of the ice). Pour in any one of a variety of diet soda flavors. That's it, two ingredients.

Be sure to mix very well as the cream wants to hang out at the bottom. As I drink it, I add more soda and stir again, as you'll find you barely use half a can to begin with. A half a cup of cream equals about 3 grams of carbs, so if you need to add more cream you can. But I do just swell with a third of the glass.

I love to do this with Diet Rite Tangerine, and Hanson's or Zevia's Black cherry soda, (I wrongly said dark cherry, when it's black cherry) and Hanson's strawberry/kiwi. All of these do not use aspertame, if that's a problem for you, as it is for some. I have also done this with A&W root beer---a brown cow of sorts. I have a cream soda almost every night. It's a great way to end the day, so delish and satisfying to me.

I just discovered Hansen's diet soda last week. I have had the diet ginger ale and my husband bought some diet root beer today. I haven't bought any diet sodas for home because I do try to avoid aspartame if possible (though I drink diet sodas when out sometimes that contain it, and I have bought the "Sparkling ICE" brand that are more fruity and not quite the same as a real soda. I told my DH about adding the heavy whipping cream for a root beer float. I don't think I'll try it with the ginger ale (I don't like root beer myself) but I'll look for the orange flavor to try it with.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 04-26-2013 at 07:34 PM..
Old 04-26-2013, 07:36 PM   #686
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Oh, and one more thing about dinner tonight. When I make sweet onion pie, we always have a half or more of the pie left---one generous slice is always enough for me. It refrigerates very well, and heats up in the microwave very well.

So tomorrow for lunch or brunch---the combination of breakfast and lunch---I will warm up another slice of onion pie and have it with breakfast sausages drizzled with sugar free syrup. Believe me, this is d-freaking-relish.
I'll have to try the sweet onion pie recipe. DH loves onions. Will either have to be a side dish or I'll need to feed something else to DS as he doesn't really like onions very much.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #687
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I'll have to try the sweet onion pie recipe. DH loves onions. Will either have to be a side dish or I'll need to feed something else to DS as he doesn't really like onions very much.
Do try it, Misti. It's SO EASY.---Believe me, I'm NO cook, have relied on the hubby to do the cooking for our entire marriage, and he's a very good cook. But when I hopped back on the LC woe with an aim to explore all the possibilities this time, instead of eating the same things over and over again like I did last time, wowza, I started to cook.

And even if DS doesn't like it, I'm pretty sure you and DH will make up the difference. And remember, you WILL have leftovers, both you and DH can feed off of for a day or two. You can grab a slice of for breakfast, he can crab a slice for a snack.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:57 PM   #688
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I just discovered Hansen's diet soda last week. I have had the diet ginger ale and my husband bought some diet root beer today. I haven't bought any diet sodas for home because I do try to avoid aspartame if possible (though I drink diet sodas when out sometimes that contain it, and I have bought the "Sparkling ICE" brand that are more fruity and not quite the same as a real soda. I told my DH about adding the heavy whipping cream for a root beer float. I don't think I'll try it with the ginger ale (I don't like root beer myself) but I'll look for the orange flavor to try it with.
And that's the great thing about Hanson's! No aspartame. These creme sodas are best with some kind of fruity flavor, IMO, kind of like a liquid dreamsicle.
And Hansons has 3 or 4 great fruity flavors. Diet Rite offers the tangerine which is just fantastic. Again, neither uses aspertame. I like the diet root beer cream sodas too---although haven't been able to find one that doesn't use aspertame yet---but the fruity ones are the best, imo.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #689
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Sounds like you have lucky dogs!
We only have one, but yes, she'd tell you she likes it here quite well. Frankly, I think there's plenty of myths about dog nutrition too---and most of them cost a whole lot in the form of dried pellets.

As my husband would say---"what do you think dogs lived on before Purina?" Not to mention Iams and other pricey variations of everything humans think is good for dogs, minus the ingredient of any flavor.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:53 PM   #690
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WickedStitch
Start Date: Restart ever on going
Quote:

WOAH! This sounds like an amazing treat that I could get on board with!!!Thanks for this little tid bit of joy!
Closed Thread