Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #421
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
Stats: 230 / 199 / 165
WOE: lower/mod. carb my way!
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
welcome shrinkingviolet.

YUP. I too rebel against the carb ladder. pffft. not for me.

I am losing my way also. using principles from a few plans out there and doing this my way is what is working best for me.

stay strong and jump in and chat. we got each other's backs here great people on this thread.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2013, 12:34 AM   #422
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shrinkingviolet
Stats: 230/226/140
WOE: Atkins tweaked my way :)
Start Date: Oct 2010, restarting Mar 2013
Thank you it's quite liberating to do it our own way I think, especially when you still see darn good results. The rebel in me makes it hard to imagine following someone else's woe for life. My own way though, that's different xx
Old 03-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #423
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
YAY! I think I found my kind of thread!

I started LCing 2 weeks ago with no idea of what was involved I just knew I needed to get rid of suplus belly and be able to sit down in jeans without my circulation getting cut off!

My big dietry changes are: no more potatoes, bread, wheat flour based foods, rice, pasta, processed foods, and sugar. I do take a little honey occasionally but try to stick to stevia. Oh, and I gave up wine.

There was no attempt at 'induction'. In 2 weeks my DD and I have lost stacks of weight - 4kg for me as of this mornings weigh in, and 2.5 for her. I exercise and she doesnt, hence the difference.

Success for us apart from weight loss is:

2 inches off the waist,
we're not constantly hungry
the food is so good!
We have more energy
we're sleeping so good (why is that?)
Just more driven to accomplish daily stuff...

I have made mistakes in the 2 weeks - I am still learning. We dont have a hard core LC attitude to food so we have more carbs than is legal from other foods.

Yesterdays menu was:
Breakfast
Coconut flour spice apple muffin (3 carbs-ish)
1/2c yougurt
1T blueberries
1T pumpkin seeds
Lunch
25gm hamburger patties fried in bacon grease with 2T onion and 3T mushrooms on lettuce, with slice tomato and feta cheese and 1T salsa
Dinner
100gm Swede chips cook in bacon grease and pizza's made from grilled eggplant slices and traditional pizze toppings.
Snack
1 peach
3 cashew nuts (just because I was in the cuboard and saw them lol)

The bacon grease was left over from grilling 1kg bacon the other day for snacking and cooking purposes - cooked ready bacon is so convieniant!

As you can see, not exactly no carb, but compared to 3 weeks ago VERY low carb.

I will fine tune it as I go, but am just going to ease into it.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #424
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: focus83
Stats: 316.5/292.25/285
WOE: 30g carbs or less
Start Date: 01/01/2013
Welcome lilbeetle!! Well done on your great loss so far. This thread is so friendly and helpful, make sure to post often, it does help believe me.

Was 100% on track today. Did a clean atkins induction day even if i am not following the plan lol. I just really want to cut back on high carbs food and stay under 30g of carbs for awhile to kick start my weightloss again. Success today at just under 20g.

Where is everyone on this thread? hope you are all keeping up with the low carbing x
Old 03-27-2013, 12:58 AM   #425
Senior LCF Member

Exciting day, I live in NZ so find it a bit hard to find some of the ingrediants, but today I found LSA flour and.... Atkins Endulge bars at my local supermarket. So good to have a sweet treat for the first time in weeks!

I was good, I gave half to DD, so .5g sugar, and 1 carb.

DD is super excited, today she went under 80kg for the first time since she turned 12.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #426
Senior LCF Member

B: 3 carb muffin with yougurt and berries. Forgit my pumpkin seeds which was a bad move. By lunch time i was ravenous!

L: Salad made up of ham, chicken, roasted cashew nuts, lettuce, tomato and feta cheese with a ligh dressing sice I figured there was enough fat in it already

D: Will be our annual nod towards Passover - lamb chops, green salad and this year I guess one of the eggy bread reciepes since i cant make a normal loaf.

On another note, why do we sleep better on LC? And why do we - or is it just I - sweat so much more profusly since starting LC?
Old 03-28-2013, 06:37 AM   #427
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WickedStitch
Stats: 244/210/180
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart March 2013
I much prefer doing LC my way. This way I don't have to deal with the rule police jumping on me for not following 'the plan'. It really gets old after a while. Do this, don't do that and whatever you do...if you are a retsarter you are a failure. BAH! No thanks! They don't live my life and have no clue what is going on with me.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:55 AM   #428
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Adoug4ho
Stats: 222/198/175?
Start Date: October 29, 2012; restart 1/14/13 (carb creep!)
Lilbeetle I feel like I sweat so much more too during my workouts!
Old 03-28-2013, 08:24 AM   #429
Senior LCF Member

Trigger how's is going?
Old 03-28-2013, 09:01 AM   #430
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Nanner
Stats: 253/229.5/200
WOE: low carb my way
Start Date: This time - 03/18/2013/JUDDD 04/29/2013
Hey guys, mind if I join? I'm also doing LC my way, started almost 2 weeks ago though I've done it many times in the past - hopefully this one will stick! Can only keep trying right, only fail if you don't try!

So far, I've lost 10 lb as of this morning, so I'm pretty happy with that. I know that it will slow way down now, already has started to as I lost 8.5 the first week. I still have until Monday for my official 2-week weigh-in, and I'd love to be down 3 more by then, but will be okay if I'm not.

My way of eating is low carb, trying to keep them under 40. I'm trying to follow the protein/fat/carb equation I found on the main board as I've never done that before and will see if it works. I'm not a LC fanatic and don't think of sugar as the devil, so I occasionally will still use sugar in some of my foods as I cannot use artificial sweeteners. I think a tsp of sugar here and there will not kill me, so I use it. I also am not so worried about HFCS, flour, etc, so if I find what I consider to be a low carb product, I'm not so worried about it's ingredients, just the counts. For example, found a low carb "cracker" called World Table Bruschetta Rounds which is like a dried Italian bread, 8 crackers for 6 carbs, which I eat with a wedge of LC cheese occasionally for a snack. Some may say it's bread, but I don't care - it's good and LC for me.

Anyhow, would love to join and share support and ideas for low carbing our way!

Bye-bye 240's - 04/05/2013
230's - 05/12/2013
220's -
210's -
200!! -
Old 03-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #431
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedStitch View Post
I much prefer doing LC my way. This way I don't have to deal with the rule police jumping on me for not following 'the plan'. It really gets old after a while. Do this, don't do that and whatever you do...if you are a retsarter you are a failure. BAH! No thanks! They don't live my life and have no clue what is going on with me.
WOW I sure agree with that. the 'rule police' are quite unforgiving alot of times and who wants to contend with that? I sure don't LC our way
Old 03-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #432
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoug4ho View Post
Trigger how's is going?
HI Adou

Hope you are doing well so far.

I am good. eating just a tad too much on LC food. like wings and pizza last night. scraped one too many tops of the small slices. ate one too many wings. up .6 ---but I gotta tell ya the .6 was well worth the food I ate

today was almost 2 mile walk this morning with the dog. Up and down grades. nice road route I found. Will be doing it every single day. took 1 1/2 hrs. (alot of that was stopping for the dog to check out stuff ) but next walk I will speed up and move the doggie faster and I gotta say my legs feel great and the walk wasn't that hard.

199 is in my view. just gotta pick those 2-3 days to eat light to hit it. today was lighter eating so maybe the scale will move some for me. i am so close and I know you are so close ---lol---we gotta get this done.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #433
Senior LCF Member

LOL, thats so funny about the rule police. I've had a couple of scoldings here since starting

I have to admit I am not great at counting carbs. I ended up finding a vege carb list yesterday because I wasnt considering them at all in my daily count.At best guess my daily carbs range between 10-40. Still losing so Im still ok with what I am doing.

147.5 this morning, down from 165 at the beginning of the month!
Old 03-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #434

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeetle View Post
LOL, thats so funny about the rule police. I've had a couple of scoldings here since starting

I have to admit I am not great at counting carbs. I ended up finding a vege carb list yesterday because I wasnt considering them at all in my daily count.At best guess my daily carbs range between 10-40. Still losing so Im still ok with what I am doing.

147.5 this morning, down from 165 at the beginning of the month!
Wow! You've had an amazing loss, and you just started this month??

I would love to have your loss in a month!
Old 03-28-2013, 05:16 PM   #435
Senior LCF Member

its only 5kg

I did about a 2 day 'induction', mostly caused by not knowing what was involved in low carbing. So I just stoped eating obvious carbs and ate meat and vege - no sauce because I didnt know how to make LC sauces. Over time I have improved the menu, and bought more things to pad it out. I do work out most days, and I was eating LOTS of bread and pasta/rice/spuds every day. I am and always have been a big eater. I eat about as much as most men. So a typical day would be 14 cups of tea, 8 slices of bread with marg and peanut butter, cheese ab lib, 2c mashed spuds, 2 cups of meat and a cup of veges. Everything lavished in sauces or dressings.

I work in the resturant industry for 8 years, Im a good cook and faithful to my creativity

One of the things I am loving about LCing is new reciepes to expereiment with. Today I am going to make my weeks breakfast muffins with LSA flour and raspberries.

Last edited by lilbeetle; 03-28-2013 at 05:18 PM..
Old 03-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #436

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeetle View Post
its only 5kg

I did about a 2 day 'induction', mostly caused by not knowing what was involved in low carbing. So I just stoped eating obvious carbs and ate meat and vege - no sauce because I didnt know how to make LC sauces. Over time I have improved the menu, and bought more things to pad it out. I do work out most days, and I was eating LOTS of bread and pasta/rice/spuds every day. I am and always have been a big eater. I eat about as much as most men. So a typical day would be 14 cups of tea, 8 slices of bread with marg and peanut butter, cheese ab lib, 2c mashed spuds, 2 cups of meat and a cup of veges. Everything lavished in sauces or dressings.

I work in the resturant industry for 8 years, Im a good cook and faithful to my creativity

One of the things I am loving about LCing is new reciepes to expereiment with. Today I am going to make my weeks breakfast muffins with LSA flour and raspberries.
Well, 5 kg is great also - I thought it was 18 lb (said something in earlier post like 165 to 147, but I see your stats say 154) - anyhow, still great!!

I like to experiment also - tried rutabaga "fries" with cheese and bacon tonight. First time I'd had rutabaga, and, while it was good, I found it a bit sweet, which was off-putting to me - was better if they were more crispy than soft. Not sure if I will try it again.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:11 PM   #437
Senior LCF Member

I make those a lot! I slice them and then nuke them for about 5 mins to soften. Then I get the oven REALLY hot, put some bacon grese in a shallow dish and lay them out. Bake about 7-10 mins, turn over, and do the same. Really cook with sour cream, cheese and crispy bacon bits sprinkled on top.

Swedes (rutabega) is sweet, not as much as kumera (NZ sweet potato) so I didnt find them too bad. helps that I've always liked them, especially mashed with butter and a really rich LC gravy poured over the top. Comfort food at its best
Old 03-29-2013, 12:34 AM   #438
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: focus83
Stats: 316.5/292.25/285
WOE: 30g carbs or less
Start Date: 01/01/2013
Welcome wickedstitch and Nanner

Posted a long post yesterday but when i pressed entered it disappeared

Been trackin as much as i can the last couple of days to keep the carb count to below 30g a day its so doable. Im slowly losin the weight i regained last week. Shocked by how high in carbs some things are. Like scallops only had 3 the other night and found out that was over 5g of carbs for thatm.

I agree with what you guys say about low carb police thats why this thread has been so helpful. Ive been able to stick with low carbing even when ive gone off plan because feel like you guys wont jump on me the minute i post again which is exactly what i need.

Last edited by focus83; 03-29-2013 at 12:36 AM..
Old 03-29-2013, 01:00 AM   #439
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shrinkingviolet
Stats: 230/226/140
WOE: Atkins tweaked my way :)
Start Date: Oct 2010, restarting Mar 2013
Right, so I've decided to start using my WW online account which I've been paying for but not using, lol! My biggest problem with LC is that I eat too much, and obv then I stall so I have to watch calories. So I'm going to try a reduced carb modification of WW, that way I will know I'm not overeating. I'm quite excited, it's good to change things up a bit
Old 03-29-2013, 04:14 AM   #440
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger828 View Post
199 is in my view. just gotta pick those 2-3 days to eat light to hit it. today was lighter eating so maybe the scale will move some for me. i am so close and I know you are so close ---lol---we gotta get this done.
Hey Trigger, yes we're BOTH so close! 201..that's less than 2 pounds to get us under that 200 mark!! Eek!
Old 03-29-2013, 04:56 AM   #441
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by focus83 View Post
Ive been able to stick with low carbing even when ive gone off plan because feel like you guys wont jump on me the minute i post again which is exactly what i need.
that is key. stay on plan. don't let anyone get under your nerves to quit the plan. I like this thread also because of the support and not the negativity about every morsel that goes into my mouth

some can jump on plan and stick to it like white on rice and not vary in their eating. I am the type that has to sway around a plan. I can not stick to 'eat X, eat Y only without this and that, eat NO bread ever while losing, eat no X again in your life. that just isn't me. but if I do it my way it works.

I think one of the most important messages in an eating change is KNOW THYSELF. truly. and don't lie or pretend to yourself even though you know the truth face it. realize a change is needed and slowly move in that direction and learn more as we go along.

If you face reality then you can fix it really.

HANG IN THERE EVERYONE! We can accomplish alot!
Old 03-29-2013, 04:59 AM   #442
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoug4ho View Post
Hey Trigger, yes we're BOTH so close! 201..that's less than 2 pounds to get us under that 200 mark!! Eek!
Man, I am the same. which is better than any gain so that is good

I ate a ton of broccoli and garlic butter with my ribeye on the grill last night.
I cooked too much. instead of putting it up for today I ate it lol

stuffed to the max but at 10:30 I wanted to munch. eat the whole kitchen. fought it for like 1/2 hr. then I decided I better go to bed cause I was going to eat, and eat big

whew. dodged a bullet on that one lol

Adou, we are so close. YUP. Lets rock it now. for me I gotta cut portion sizes. I know that and better just do it.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:51 AM   #443

My goal, once I get to goal, is to be a weekday low carber and then eat what I want on the weekends. I've seen so many people who do that as their way of life, and that's how I want to be. If I can maintain my weight by doing that, once I get to goal, I would consider that a pretty good life.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:33 AM   #444
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger828 View Post
Man, I am the same. which is better than any gain so that is good

I ate a ton of broccoli and garlic butter with my ribeye on the grill last night.
I cooked too much. instead of putting it up for today I ate it lol

stuffed to the max but at 10:30 I wanted to munch. eat the whole kitchen. fought it for like 1/2 hr. then I decided I better go to bed cause I was going to eat, and eat big

whew. dodged a bullet on that one lol

Adou, we are so close. YUP. Lets rock it now. for me I gotta cut portion sizes. I know that and better just do it.
Ugh, Trigger, I was the same too on my trainer's scale this AM! Well, down .2, but still.... I was so disappointed because my home scale said 202.0 and it always weighs more than hers. Guess not today :/. At least I know when I finally do see 199 on MY scale, that I'm definitely there!
Old 03-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #445
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanner View Post
My goal, once I get to goal, is to be a weekday low carber and then eat what I want on the weekends. I've seen so many people who do that as their way of life, and that's how I want to be. If I can maintain my weight by doing that, once I get to goal, I would consider that a pretty good life.

Ditto. I dont miss bread so much now as I miss pies and beer.

Another small daily loss. It certainly has slowed down from the first heady week were the scales looked like I was melting. My experiemntal breakfast muffins are delish! Havent worked out the carbs on them, but changing applesauce to frozen raspberries, honey for stevia and coconut flour ofr LSA must make them lower carb than my 3 carb ones.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #446
Major LCF Poster!

AAhhh that stinks Adou. that trainer scale I know you were counting on

don't worry. we are getting there. 199 is a huge change for our bodies. it is not giving up wtihout a small fight. WE WILL get there!!!!! Out of the 2s forever will be a dream come true
Old 03-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #447
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanner View Post
Yup. a maintenance plan like that would be a bonus of a good life to hold off the weight loss.

I do know tho I have some trigger foods I will never eat again in my life. And I don't ever plan on reintroducing them because they cause all kinds of eating problems once I have them. I am really learning what I can eat and not eat.

a bit of vigilence for us all goes a long way
Old 03-29-2013, 07:11 PM   #448
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/206/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Hello everyone! I am back from my cruise! It was harder to stay LC on the cruise than I thought it would be. I didn't go hog wild or anything, but I did eat a pretezel roll or two, a few potato chips, a fried banana and lots of fruit...and I inadvertenly ate half a slice of pizza when I only meant to eat the toppings. And quite a few no-sugar added desserts. So the scale was not pretty when I got home on Monday afternoon...Tuesday morning it was 267.2, up almost 8 pounds! But I have lost 6 lbs. already in 3 days, so thankfully it was all (or almost all) water weight from kicking myself out of ketosis. I am back on track and plan to stay there!

DH, DS (age 10) and I went to a pediatric nutritionist this morning to talk about healthy eating for DS. DH and I are now on track so it is time to work on DS's eating habits. He weighs too much for his age/height, but the goal is to keep him the same weight and have him grow into it. We're planning on doing more "low gylemic index" for him rather than strictly low carb. Now if I could only get him to eat some vegetables.

to all the new members!

Last edited by Mistizoom; 03-29-2013 at 07:14 PM..
Old 03-30-2013, 07:27 AM   #449
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/206/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Weighed in this morning at 260 or less (scale is being wonky again). Wii Fit says I weigh the same as I did the last time I weighed 20 days ago, which is also under 260. I'll take it. Hopefully April will be a great month for me and all of us!

Last edited by Mistizoom; 03-30-2013 at 07:29 AM..
Old 03-30-2013, 08:00 AM   #450
Major LCF Poster!

Misti that trip sounds like so much fun.

alot of added weight but you sure dropped it fast. yea those foods nail ya, but they can also be gotten rid of fast which is a good thing

glad you had a blast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Closed Thread