Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Dakini
Thanks for the info on the potatoes. I'm going to have to try that on an UD, might help to keep me on the straight and narrow for a while.

I hope your buck lives, he sounds like a sweetie. I'm grateful too that my skin has tightened up on my arms and legs, now if only it would tighten up on my neck.
Dakini is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: krittermom
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: January 9th, 2012
Aww that poor little buck. You have to keep him after all of that. I don't know how you don't get attached to all of them. I'm attached to the squirrels in my yard lol.

Mmm, if I put bacon on meatloaf I might be able to eat the meatloaf. I really dislike meatloaf or any ground beef. I used to love it. Not sure what happened.

I had salmon for breakfast, lunch and last night's dinner. Sure wish I had cooked up some chicken thighs yesterday so I'd have something ready for dinner.
krittermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #33
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
kritter - We have so much ground meat in the freezer I have to start using it for something. Last week it was chili and this week meatloaf. I found some more ground meat recipes in an old school cookbook that sounded good so I will use one of those for next week.Got to whittle the ground meat down some. The ork is under all of it so I have a mission.
Little buck and his brother seemed in pretty good shape this evening. I left them in the milkroom all day and locked them in the dog crate for tonight. Don't need the weak one to get cold. I love all of my babies but when they get older and develop some bad habits or don't make the show string, then it is easier to let them go. Little buckie stilll has a hitch in his gitalong and I have no idea if he will ever be "normal." But he can get around so that is good. Dh kind of has a soft spot for him too. I said we might have to put him down last week and DH said just give him some more time and we will see.
I still can't develop a taste for salmon. I have tried. I even tried salmon patties since I like mackeral patties. Hmmm. I have a can of mackeral and that sure sounds good for tomorrow night.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:51 AM   #34
Big Yapper!!!!

I am 138.4 this morning so I can see that higher calorie potato DD's will really work in maintenance which I am thrilled to see. It was an easy day and I ate cold boiled potatoes exxcept a small baked one with some lowfat cottage cheese. Off to do chores and plans for a GREAT UD without going wild.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:37 PM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dak, I'm so glad the little guy is doing okay. So cute that DH is getting attached too.

I think I read sardines are really high in Omega 3s. I can't bring myself to try them.

I went to a Mexican place tonight with my friend and tried a beef brisket enchilada. OMG it was good. So I stopped and picked up a brisket and am cooking it in the crock pot overnight. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #36
Big Yapper!!!!

I like brisket slow cooked at about 250 degrees for a LONG time in the oven. I have tried sardines. They aren't bad but they are smelly in my opinion.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Aren't sardines what gives ceasar salad dressing it's flavor? I think that's the only way I like sardines.

DH is sick, poor guy. When I came home from work yesterday we were both in our office at the same time, and I swear, I could feel his fever radiating off of him. I talked him into going to bed. I hope he gets better and that I don't catch it.

My seedlings are getting big, I'm going to have to rethink my plant out date.

1/20

2/14
Old 02-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #38
Big Yapper!!!!

WOW Dak - You have a mega green thumb. I am so jealous. Sorry DH is sick and hope you don't catch it.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow Dak, those seedlings are amazing! It's such a wonderful feeling to plant a seed and watch it grow.

Your poor DH. I'm glad he's taking your advice and resting.

I think it's anchovies that are used in caesar dressing. I can't imagine eating one by itself but I do like them in the dressing.

Gotta run. Contractor is coming to talk to us about finishing our attic. I want one of the rooms to be an exercise room.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:08 PM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Using a heat mat really made a difference in getting the seeds started and using fluorescent lights instead of the windowsill... Still I want to start hardening them off soon, maybe put them in the ground in a couple of weeks. I don't like trying to transplant large plants, they're easier when they're smaller.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:34 PM   #41
Big Yapper!!!!

Dak - I still haven't gotten my plant starter thing from tRACTOR sUPPLY SO YOUr MENTION OF FLOURESCENT LIGHTS MADE ME REALIZE i CAN START MY SEEDS IN MY METAL BUILDING WHERE i HAVE MY SINK AND FRIG FOR MY MILK. I can just leave the lights on all day. I have a stainless steel table in front of the window with a light over it. Will give me something to do SUnday since I have a craft show on Saturday.
Little crippled buck is drinking well and staggers arolund pretty good. His left front and left rear leg is crooked. They bow in but he is doing well otherwise.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:55 AM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Adi, to germinate seedlings you really don't even need light at all. I bought a germination dome to improve humidity, but you can lightly cover with saran wrap and get the same effect. I do keep my plants fairly close to the lights, like about 2 inches away. DH hung an old 48" on a frame he put together for me, the lights hang down from a chain that I can raise (easier to just take a picture, LOL)

Old 02-15-2013, 07:37 AM   #43
Big Yapper!!!!

Love your adjustable light. Of course mine are fastened to the ceiling but there is a lot of light even if I don't need it.
I have a dome so maybe I can get mine going this weekend. I will have to look around. I think I have an old rubber coated heating pad that was designed to use with wet foam for moist heat. I can jerryrig something up.

Last edited by adillenal; 02-15-2013 at 07:38 AM..
Old 02-15-2013, 07:42 AM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Compared to buying this stuff from gardening catalogs, jerryrigging is the way to go. I waited too long to start seeds last year, I'm sure that's why I didn't get as many tomatoes as the year before.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I love your homemade ideas!

Dak, I just saw your post about your neck skin. I can't believe how bad mine is looking. Seems like everything kind of started sagging at the same time and looks awful.

I'm thinking of volunteering at a no-kill animal shelter but I'm worried that I'll fall in love with all of the animals. I'm hoping that since it's a no-kill, I won't feel like I have to rescue them all.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #46
Big Yapper!!!!

kritter - you can foster. I can't because I already have too many dogs but it would be fun I think.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:12 AM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

adi, foster wouldn't really be an option for me right now. The reason I don't have any pets now is because I agreed that I'd go 2 years pet-free to give DH a break and to give us some time to travel without having to worry about getting pet sitters, etc.

I have 1 year and 8 months to go

I made this vegan dish(Cosmic Cashew Kale and Chickpeas with Confetti Quinoa | recipe from FatFree Vegan Kitchen) yesterday that uses cashew cream. OMG was it delish. It was as creamy and rich as alfredo sauce. I added a little olive oil but I don't think it needed it because it was already so creamy. If I make it again, I'll carmelize the onions first.

It is going to be really cold here today. Hi of 31 but with windchill it'll feel like 10
Old 02-17-2013, 06:00 AM   #48
Big Yapper!!!!

Kritter - Sorry you made a vow to be pet free so I guess volunteering is as close as you can get to the animals. But they always need volunteers to help out at the shelters. You could do some good and enjoy it at the same time. And if you don';t like it you can quit since you are a volunteer.

It was cold yesterday at the craft show. So glad I was inside. I went outside under the pavilion to check out the other vendors and got so cold I could not even shop the herb lady's booth so I didn't get any plants. I meant to go back and grab a lavender thyme but got busy and didn't.

I also ate some things that I should not have and my face is really puffed up today, I have a headache and since I had not been to a craft show in awhile, I am sore from unloading, setting up, selling all day and tearing down and loading up the vehickle again. DH did my home chores thank goodness. BUT I did very well. The morning was great then dead and I was disappointed then I had a late rush and did better than last year.
I have already had my coffee and forgot to weigh so I will get a good DD today snd try again next week to keep it even.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:01 AM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Morning,

Sounds like you're getting some good projects done, Kritter! Do you and you DH have any trips planned? I know you just got back from Las Vegas. It is easier traveling without having to cover pet care. We are petless right now, at least if you don't count our birds. My neighbors keep getting more and more dogs, 4 on one side, 3 on the other. I'm afraid if we did get a dog that they'd do nothing but bark at us all day.

Glad your craft show was a success! Great that you got a booth inside. DH has been making hints about me ordering more soaps, he really likes the Dragon Blood scent, do you have any of your facial soaps in stock?

Rant: Skip if you'd like, LOL. My neighbor imported a truckload of fresh horse manure and has spread it out, roughly 60'x40'. They're going to use it as the foundation for the garden. It's been there about a month and it stinks. I wish they would till it in or that we'd get some rain to soak it in. I've created a sitting area in my garden and between the stink of the manure and the tremendous amount of lighter fluid they use EVERY night to barbeque, I'm beginning to rethink my sitting/reading area. I've gotten used to their 3 year old sounds, I don't want to be that old woman that can't deal with the sounds of children, but guess I'm that old woman that can't deal with smells.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #50
Big Yapper!!!!

Dak - I am totally out of facial soap. I really need to get some made soon as I only have a few Dragon's Blood left. Hopefully I can do a few batches this coming weekend since kidding has slowed down until march.
AND I don't blame you about the manure. Goats are less smelly but our neighbor has two donkeys and I swear I can smell them over everything at our house including cows, chickens, dogs and goats. I used to use horse manure on some gardening areas and I think it is just smellier than other manures for some reason. I started using cow pattie tea to water some of my plants. Just collect dried cow manure and soak in a five gallon bucket of water and pour out and keep adding water.

New babies. Both huge bucks. Bummer but I decided to keep one as a backup and I have him on a bottle. It was cold yesterday with a high wind. Today is better but it is cloudy and damp feeling. Hoping for a good UD. Brought veggies to cook for lunch to go with my potato and cottage cheese.
Something is bothering DH because he is starting the mindless eating. I usually buy him a bag of chips everyweek. He goes throught them a few at a time. But this weekend he ate two bags of chips and didn't even realize it. Along with the bags of popcorn. Not sure what is going on. Probably has to do with his brother or his daughter. He will tell me eventually. Hope he doesn't gain 20 pounds with all of the junk. I am not buying any more chips though.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yikes Dak, how do the neighbor's stand the odor? It's really sad when you can't enjoy sitting out on your own property because of inconsiderate neighbors.

DH is getting one of his knees replaced at the end of this month. We figure he'll be ready for some travel by June. We're thinking of doing a road trip up through New York and New England, to Quebec. I wanted to the the Keys or Grand Canyon but he's afraid he still won't be able to do a lot of walking by then. That's okay because I've always wanted to see New England and a road trip should be fun. Then we're planning on Paris on the fall, probably mid-October. At that point, I'll be one year pet-free and will have one more year to go.

I have such plans for when I can finally get a dog. I plan on getting another lab, plus a small dog - maybe a yorkie or shitzu, and I as thinking maybe a really large dog, like a great dane. Thing is, I really would love a puppy since I've never had one, so I'd like to have at least one once in my life. It always saddened me that I didn't get to know Meg as a sweet, pudgy little puppy.

adi, how's the little lame buck doing? I hope your DH is okay!
Old 02-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #52
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: lil miss
WOE: LCMW
Start Date: 1/1/13
Gosh I miss you guys, sorry I have been MIA so much!

Adi, I love that you are nursing that dear handicapped buck!

Krit- I had NO idea you had agreed to be pet free for TWO years! Doesn't seem like you!

Hi Dak! I too am VERY envious of your seedlings! I truly need to get myself in gear with gardening!

Nothing new here to repeat. Am in book fair - he77. Feel very taken advantage of, other co chairs dumping on me what they cant/dont want to do. I cant figure out what I am doing that I end up in these positions but I definitely play a role and I know that.

Boys had off of school today and we played 9 holes of golf and walked. Even with a little electric cart carrying our clubs, we were EXHAUSTED afterwards!

Krit, trip sounds lovely, so happy your DH is getting his knees done....My dad didnt for YEARS and we truly think that led to his fall.... How about Mystic Seaport? Aaahhh so lovely! PARIS? SOOOOOO jealous! That will be amazing!
Old 02-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

lil miss, I can't believe I agreed to 2 years pet free! DH had been very stressed with his parents, dealing with Meg, the move and his job, so I wanted to give him a break. And it'll give me time to get him used to the idea of getting a puppy. I want to rescue 1 or 2 older dogs, too, but I would like 1 puppy as well.

I've never heard of electric carts just for the clubs. Did the whole family play? That's a great way to spend time with the kids.

Yanno, I stopped volunteering for things like that because the other people always drive me crazy. There are always people who show up for the fun stuff, but are never available for the not-so-fun stuff.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #54
Big Yapper!!!!

Lilmiss - good to hear from you. Glad you are enjoying golfing and Book Fairs are always a hassle. Too many chiefs usually.
kritter - Your trips sound wonderful. My only trip planned is to St. Paul MN for the national Goat Show and then to SD to visit DH's family with the goats in tow. The girls will have a scenic tour of the US. And I think you need a puppy too. I love puppies although my last two dachshunds were grown when I got them. I had several that I raised from little bitty puppies.
Little crippled buck is doing well. He still has a hunched back but he is getting around quite well and he is eating as much as his much larger brother who is very kind to him. But not so much with the new baby I put in with them so I took him out and he is staying in the milkroom dog crate until he is stronger. He is already bigger but is just a day old now.
Dh was babling today so I know he has somehting gnawing on him and he will spill it pretty soon. Still think it has to do with his brother or daughter. I am betting brother. With my luck he will show up to live in our camper or something. Who knows.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:13 AM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Adi, you seem to have it so together with your animals. I've started listening to a podcast called, WhiteFlintFarms, it's on iTunes, from a guy that is homesteading in Virginia. I like listening to his gardening philosophy and hearing his stories, (did you know that in Virginia it's still legal to release packs of dogs on private property to flush out deer and then shoot them from their cars?) Hearing some of his stories on his pregnant goats giving birth unexpectedly, had me thinking, Adi checks on her girls when they're due, like every couple of hours.

Kritter, your upcoming trips sound fantastic. LOL though, the longer you wait, the more dogs you might end up with. I do think it would be easier having more than one, I have a friend with Boxers, she says they pile up at night to keep warm, literally a "three dog night."

Adi, do the little goatlings do that too?

Lil Miss, do you have sunny spot for veggies? It really is pretty easy. This year I had soil tests done and am making my own mineral Rx's for the soil. So much fun, I'm digging them into my beds this weekend.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:34 AM   #56
Big Yapper!!!!

Dak - the little goaties have Igloo type doghouses and they all pile in. The two little boys have a dogcrate too and they alternate between the two depending on the weather. never know which one they will be in. Sami my house dog loves my coat that I leave on the back of the couch when I come in from outside. She almost wraps herself up in it.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #57
Big Yapper!!!!

Hi All!!!!!!!!!

WOW Dak, soil tests! So very cool! I need to think seriously about growing some veggies this summer.

I signed up for a 3 month trial of ww today. I just cant wrap my mind around JUDDD and I think due to my food allergies I rebel against LC. Am trying to do a clean ww, no gluten free stuff etc. Plus been obsessing about apples and potatoes and so I can have those. Please wish me luck! [I need it! - FIL sent me a pic from Sunday and it was HORRIFYING]
lil miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good luck, Lil Miss! WW works for a lot of people, classic WL.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #59
Big Yapper!!!!

Thx dak.... Feel so desperate...
lil miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:55 PM   #60
Big Yapper!!!!

lilmiss - you can do it. Just use whole foods. I have found a big difference just eliminating the processed foods. Plain jane everything works well.
Dh has a track meet today/tonight and another one tomorrow. Guess he will be tired.
I bought a ramp for the truck for the goats to trot up to ride in the carrier that goes in the back of the truck. I think I am taking the old truck to the Houston Livestock Show with the goat carrier. just easier than hauling a trailer unless I can't pack that many animals into the carrier.
Was going to take off today and tomorrow but we had a meeting with lawyers and I had to go to the staffing at 7:30 and at 12:30 I was still sitting there. I hate those long stressful meetings. Not too much longer though. Four more months. YEA!!!