Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 08:55 AM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bethr
Stats: 289.5/224/? by ?
WOE: FMD
Start Date: First Time 4/01 Restart 4/28/14
Good morning all!

This cold is really kicking my behind. I am going to go out today to do a few errands (I haven't left the house since Sunday). Time to send in the taxes and ship the quilt that Stepmother #1 made me to her sister. SM#1 died of breast cancer 25 years ago. Its a beautiful quilt, a pink dutch doll pattern and I only used it briefly since it didn't fit my bed, and was more suited for a young girl. I kept it, hoping that someday there would be a young girl in our family to use it, but alas that is not going to happen. So I've decided to give it to her sister--who had a severe house fire a few years ago and lost everything. It is better that the quilt is in that family. The sister has had such a tough time. She has buried two of her sons, one 18 and one in his 30s/40s. Its in beautiful condition.

I am very sad today since I learned that a former colleague died yesterday. He lived in TX and was a great mentor to me. The last few years have been really tough for him, he had a mental breakdown (he was dx as bipolar and his wife had him committed), lost his job, got divorced and was estranged from his son. He just seemed to be getting back on track, was involved in a new business venture. He was only 55, and I learned had congestive heart failure. At least he is at peace and not suffering anymore.

Charlene--how exciting that your dd's team is going to regionals. Its a shame that you won't be able to use the tickets. Have you tried listing them on Craigslist or Stubhub?

Diane--loved your painting. Very beautiful. How are you doing?

Rachel--I love the pix of your dd with the donkey. It was so precious. Make sure you take a few days for some down time, you need it.

OK, on with the day. Have a good one!

See my blog www.bethrado.blogspot.com

One step, one hour, one day at a time.
bethr is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #62
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Shehopper
Stats: 240/235/175
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: February 18, 2013
Is it too late to join?
Shehopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Never too late! Join us please. Jump on in!
Old 02-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #64
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Shehopper
Stats: 240/235/175
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: February 18, 2013
I was just looking for a place to connect and be encouraged. Just starting back the low carb thing again. It has always shown me the best results. I have a few things coming up that I need to be ready for....
1. Leading 46 people (mainly 7th graders) to DC and NYC over spring break.
2. My first 5K at the end of April.

Looking forward to getting to know you ladies.
Shehopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:22 AM   #65
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sports_mom
Stats: 253.6/203.4/175
WOE: Low Carb
Shehopper! I hope you stick around. hhhmom74 and I do 5Ks. I've run 6 in the past year. She is training for one in April as well, I believe. I haven't found my next one yet.

Beth - so sorry to hear about your colleague. I am also sorry you are sick again. I know you are "sick" of it.

Rachel - how did the petting zoo work out? Was it a hit?

Diane - how are you doing today? Staying out of those cookies?

Tonight is the game at Sam Houston State! My dd14 is SO EXCITED she can hardly contain herself. She packed yesterday afternoon and went to bed early. She had to read the scouting report on the team we will be playing. They leave at noon today and have a full two day itinerary. We play tonight at 8:00 p.m. and if we win, we play tomorrow at 1:15. I have been baking cookies for the team to eat after games, so now that I'm all superstitious, I have been up making them for this weekend too. LOL Had Pokeno last night and ate wrong. I've gotta get my mind set back to where it was when I wouldn't touch stuff that sent me over the edge. *sigh*

Hope you all have a great weekend!!!

Charlene
Old 02-22-2013, 05:17 AM   #66
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: hhhmom74
Stats: 199.5/127/120 5'4"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6/22/02 restarted more than once
TGIF Slimmers!

We have a snow day here and I am off today! This is just what I needed today. So plans for today...............being lazy, doing some baking with DD14, make DD18 a Delta Zeta sweatshirt, go out for supper with DH and DS.

charlene: I sure wish you lived closer because I would love to do a 5K with you!!

shehopper: My next 5K is April 27th. It is the Color Run in St. Louis.

beth: Hope you are feeling better today. Sorry to hear about you colleague.

diane: Glad your knee is feeling better but still be careful!
hhhmom74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:14 AM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning all!

I am actually feeling a little bit better today. Not go to the gym better, but I do have a little bit of energy and I will try to make it out to the grocery store and to Costco this morning. I made some superb shish kabobs last night and I did bake the not legal brownies recipe from my aunt. I haven't had those in decades and they are as wonderful as I remember. Now to cut them up and give them away. I managed to get my hair done yesterday and that was about all I had in me. Tomorrow is a big gig at a winery in Napa.

Shehopper! We hope you will be a regular with us. Please tell us a bit about yourself. This challenge has been ongoing. Its been here for well over 10 years. Every quarter we change the name slightly to reflect the season. A new thread is created monthly. You choose your goal for the challenge (or month) and it can be whatever you wish it to be--pounds lost, exercise, drinking more water, whatever. This is a great group of ladies (and the occassional male will pop in). I know for myself that checking in daily helps keep me on track, even when I am not on track, the connection is very important. Not to mention that each of the ladies here are important people in my life.

Charlene--how wonderful for your dd! Fingers crossed that her team wins this weekend. When I was in HS, our boys team (this was before we had girls teams) went to State. I was dating one of the players at the time. I still have the t-shirt! It was magical. We lost the semi-final but took third in the state. I remember riding that nasty school bus for 3 hours down to Champaign for the games. No overnighters for us. Up and back--played Friday night and won, played Saturday morning and lost, played Saturday night and won. Have a great time and take legal foods with you so you can stay on track. I swear that the mental beating we give ourselves when we fall down if far worse than what the scale does.

Rachel--ahh, Snow Days. I so remember them. And am glad I don't have to deal with them. Enjoy staying at home and having some down time, you really need it. I hear that Illinois was hit pretty hard. How much snow do you have. Today is going to be 63 and sunny here.

Diane--where are you girl? What's up with you?

Have a good one all!
Old 02-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #68
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Annie64
Stats: 245/175.6/ ? 5'8"
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 6/2/08
Scale hanging around 192-93. Ugh. I think if I'm going to lose any significant weight before my trip I'm going to have to do super strict lowcarb. It's only for a week.. I have to think of the yummy things I have to look forward to in SD. I'm going to do my best not to gain anything while I'm there, but I know my mom will make her famous taco's.. and I have GOT to get a carne asada burrito while I'm there (it's tradition) For the most part I plan to eat my normal way (when I'm being good that is) I'm freaking out because I know a lot of pictures will be be taken at the anniversary party.. at least its the next day after the night I get there, so if I lose a chunk before I go, I won't have gained more by then.

I've been spending hours thinking about my next painting, Googling, researching.... The problem is the subject is wide open! The only thing is we have to incorporate text into it. I have an idea.. it's kinda dark, but it will be fun.. inspired by Tim Burton! The week I'm gone I get to do whatever I want in place of what the class will be doing.. I can't do the same as them because there is a guest artist coming. I may do a dog or something similar to the lion.

Beth: So sorry to hear about your colleague.. so sad. Speaking of brownies.. I have been battling a batch of brownies here at work the past two days. Today they won a little bit I think brownies (good ones) are harder for me than cookies! Glad you are feeling better!

Rachel: I know the kids here were all hoping for a snow day (or rather, an ice day).. we got a coating of ice, but my mid-morning it was slush, and now it's heading towards 50 degrees! Crazy weather! Kids got a delay at least.

Charlene: Yep! Staying out of the cookies, but the freakin brownies lured me in! Not a whole box worth I swear! Hmmm... did you say you were baking... cookies???

Shehopper: Welcome to the group! We are small but consistent and supportive. Even when we are bad and off plan we still check in. This group has been around for many years although many have come and gone, the Slimmer thread lives on!
Old 02-25-2013, 09:33 AM   #69
Blabbermouth!!!

Where is everyone? I'm hearing crickets!

I am doing very well.. Saturday not so great, but yesterday was perfect. I'm back down to 191.6. Lowest I've weighed in two weeks! Finally the trip is feeling real, and I'm on track. I stayed busy most of the day yesterday painting.. good thing is I think I will be done ahead of time this week! I had a lot of fun with this one!

I skipped the gym yesterday.. not sure why.. I was either tired or lazy or both. I should have gone. I did go today and gave it a little more effort so I would burn a few more evil calories. I picked up my 4 boxes of cookies last night and I did NOT open any of them! I don't even feel like eating them. No WAY am I opening them before the trip! Knee felt pretty good, just very slightly funky. They didn't do ANY lunges today which is unusual, but I'm ok with that because I am avoiding those at least for a while.

Well, I will check back in later...
Annie64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:19 AM   #70
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning all!

Where has everyone been? I've been having a tough week emotionally. Not quite sure why, but I'm sure being sick hasn't helped. The gig on Saturday was really funky. While it was in a cool place (the barrel room of a winery) the drama within the band was crazed. DH was in a really bad mood, everyone was ******ing about everything. I've decided that I will no longer do the sound for the band. They have a short gig on Friday but the sound system is already set up and then one on March 22nd. I think that will be the last for me. They want a professional (but don't want to pay one). I still haven't received payment in full from one band member. So I'm done. I do the best I can, I take a careful and professional attitude, but there is no way they will ever be happy so let them find someone else. I'm done with the diva like attitude. I will still go and be the roadie for dh, but I'm not hauling any PA crap for the singers (dh is the drummer, he doesn't sing, but he provides and hauls the monitors, mixing board and snake (an extension to the mixing board). I'm going to wait until the end of the week before I say anything to the band. And once I go back to work, my availability will be limited anyway.

I'm starting to get over this cold finally, but still don't feel great. I plan on heading back to the gym by Friday. My downstairs neighbor called me yesterday to let me know they've leased the unit. It sounds likes they have found a good tenant. (at least I know one has a job). We have a liitle less than three weeks before they move in. I'm going to get the deck sealed by the end of the week (its going to be in the 70s) to minimize the distruption of when we seal it. I'm hoping this will be a good situation. I don't think its possible to be much worse.

Charlene--how did the second game go--did the girls win? And how are you feeling?

Rachel--was the plunge your dd was doing for special olympics? I know they had a polar plunge into the bay this weeked for that charity?

Diane--so when exactly do you leave for San Diego? What part of SD is your family. DH's bff lives in Rancho Bernardo. I spent a lot of time working down there at UCSF Thornton in La Jolla.

Must try to accomplish something today.

Have a good day.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #71
Major LCF Poster!

Afternoon! What a weekend! We won the first game and made it to the finals of the regional tournament. Of all people, we met one of our own district opponents again! That shows you how good our district is - we split games with them all year - they beat us twice and we beat them twice, but in the end, they won by 4 points and get to advance to state. Very emotional game. So many things influenced the score - including we missed a ton of freethrows and several under the basket shots. But we are very proud of the team.

We watched 4 movies this weekend. My son came in yesterday to spend the night so it would be closer for him to drive to Dallas to take a placement exam for the Dallas Firefighters. He is interested in that as a career but it's a long process and thousands apply each year for only a few spots. So we will see how that plays out. He really wants to do this.

I didn't do too badly this weekend on eating but TOM came along so I haven't weighed yet. Got up and worked out this morning before cooking breakfast for my boy before he left.

Diane - sounds you are back on track. Yay for you! Just in time for this trip! Yes I baked and baked and baked for that basketball team and they pretty much demolished them all. I took a half day off Friday and finished up our packing and all my baking. I was one busy bee before we left for the game.

Beth - so sorry for all the turmoil with the band. I don't blame you one bit for not wanting to continue especially after hearing the stories of the drama and of band members not paying their part. I sure hope the new tenant is a good one!

Rachel - what a nice unplanned day off! Much deserved! Glad you got to enjoy it.

No rest for the weary here. Track starts this week - dd12 has a meet tomorrow and dd14 has one Thursday - which mean late nights during the school week and COOL weather in the evenings. I'll be dreaming of the weekend.

Hope everyone has a great evening!
sports_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #72

Morning Slimmers!

Scale is stuck at 135 lbs!

It's a cold, rainy, icy, snowy day here in central Illinois. It's making me feel so blah!!! It really makes me just want to go in bed and sleep all day.

beth: yes DD18 did the polar plunge for Special Olympics. This was her 3rd year in a row doing it. Sorry to hear you aren't feeling so great.

charlene: What movies did ya watch this weekend? I think I hear a movie night calling my name. LOL

diane: WTG on not opening the cookies!!
Old 02-26-2013, 10:14 AM   #73
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm glad it was my day off at the gym today because I woke up with THE worst migraine I have had in YEARS. It woke me up around 6am.. I took 3 Excedrine Migraine which helped SOME, but it took a little more sleep, a shower and a frappucino to feel better. I could feel my pulse in my head.. ugh. Horrrrrible. I still feel kind of sick from it, but I did get to work.

TOM ended today and the scale was down to 190.4! By tomorrow I should be back in the 80s. I will be happy if I can at least get a few lbs into the 80s before I go. I still have 3 days before I leave, so it is possible! I still have not opened the cookie boxes, and I even forgot they were there! I was sooo busy on that painting that I thought of little else. I actually got it done 2 days early for once! I don't expect to get as many likes on this one, it is pretty different than what people are used to seeing from me I had SOOO much fun painting it though! I am thinking of doing a series of Burton inspired paintings.. taking a quote from a movie or song and building a painting around it! Em wants me to paint her an Alice in Wonderland painting.

Beth: Sorry you are having a hard time. And if the band is that ungrateful for what you do and you aren't happy doing it, then yeah, get out of it! === I leave Friday at 12:30 pm! Three hour flight to New York of all places, a 3 hour layover there, then a 6 hour flight to SD. UGH. I am going to buy a new laptop battery for the flight to help keep me busy. I hate flying and need something to keep me busy. Wait.. can you get online on a plane? Anyway, my battery doesn't stay charged long at all, so I think i need a new one. My parents live in Lemon Grove, and my brothers and sisters live in the La Mesa and El Cajon areas. I love La Jollla! La Jolla cove is one of my fav places! I love how you can almost always see sea lions out there

Charlene: Wow! Thats awesome! Good luck to your DS! === yeah, I hate how TOM messing with our weight so much. Guys don't have to worry about that.. then again, they don't seem to worry about their weight nearly as much as us girls do! I don't think their weight fluctuates as much either!

Rachel: A movie night does sound good.. I still haven't seen the last Twilight movie. That is really great that DD does that for Special Olympics! What an awesome thing to be involved in! Yep, I haven't opened the cookies, but it made me laugh when I got to work yesterday and lo-and-behold, I walk in to several dozen of my very favorite chocolate cupcakes on the counter! Baked from scrach.. they taste like my moms chocolate cake she always made when I was a kid. I DID NOT EAT ONE!
Old 02-26-2013, 06:02 PM   #74
Major LCF Poster!

Good afternoon
Hope you are all doing well back east with the snow and ice. It was beautiful here today, in the upper 60s, expecting 70 tomorrow. Dh didn't have much on his schedule today so he went with me to do a few errands and then we had lunch out. It was a really nice day. I'm still not feeling great. Just tough grief stuff. I just don't feel like putting myself out there.

Diane--I loved your Tim Burton inspired art. Wow-only 3 days till you head out here. And it should be nice and warm for you! Good job on leaving the GS cookies alone. What airline are flying? Some do have wifi on board but you do have to pay for it.

Rachel--bad scale, bad scale! Spring is not that far away!

Charlene--sorry to hear that the team lost. But at least your dd got the experience of playoffs so she'll be even more ready next year. Good for you for getting your workout in. I hope to get to the gym by Friday.

Making chicken and dumplings tonight and man does it smell good!

See ya tomorrow.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:49 PM   #75
Blabbermouth!!!

Whew.. got through the day.. actually it was no problem being that I just wasn't feeling well. I felt bad all day because of the migraine, and it started to come back after work. I took my prescription meds when I got home and it is helping, but this is one stubborn migraine! Still not gone..

No cupcakes, no cookies, and yay! Kroger has those Atkins entrees now! They were over 4 bucks, but they had the pot pie and it sounded really good, so I just got one of those and had it tonight.. yum!

Beth: Im flying on AA... I was just looking into WiFi on the flight.. it doesn't look like the cost is too bad. I just wonder how long my battery will work. Im tempted to buy a new one, but really don't want to spend the money right now. I am assuming there isn't a way to plug it in on the plane!
Old 02-27-2013, 07:21 AM   #76
Blabbermouth!!!

Super cool! I am officially back into the 80's at 189.6!!! I tried on some of my shorts and clothes for the trip to see what fits.. shorts are slightly snug and there was a little bit of muffin, but if I'm good the next few days hopefully they will fit even better. I am going to REAAALLLY try not to gain it all back while I'm there. We are probably going to Disneyland on Sunday, so I will get a lot of walking done that day. I'll still try to post on here while I'm gone.

Painting class tonight! I have no idea what this weeks painting is going to be, but I think it has to do with layers and texture maybe. I don't know when I'll have time to work on it since I will be gone..

Went to step class and got a good workout.. I was even able to do about half of the jumping jacks (they don't always do them, and I'm not always able.. depends on the week.. some weeks, like before TOM there is NO WAY I can do them!)

Well, have a good day.. I'll try to check in again later..
Old 02-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #77
Major LCF Poster!

Home for lunch. Made a nice big salad with all the fixins' - yum! DD12's first track meet was last night. It was so funny because dh thought it would be a major fail because dd12 has never shown much interest in athletics. He didn't even time her 400 race and she ended up being 1st in her heat! We were pleasantly surprised! She was a happy camper. There were several heats but we think she may have placed. We will find out today. Late night though and pretty cold. We will do it again tomorrow night with dd14 who made the varsity track team in hurdles!

Diane - I loved your painting! So cool! yay for you for being back in the 80's! A little strictness and hard work always does the trick! Bet you are getting excited about your trip!

Beth - hope you can get picked back up and moving along. I know it's a hard time for you.

Rachel - that kind of weather makes me want to stay in bed too!!! Yikes!

Going to finish my lunch time with my feet propped up and relaxing. I'm tired today. Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 02-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #78
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning everyone!

Its going to be a beautiful day again. I'm headed out to meet with my grief counselor in a few minutes. I just had a telephone conversation with someone about a potential job. Not sure that its exactly what I want to do, but just talking to someone is helpful in reminding me that I still have something to sell.

Diane--Yea! for being back down into the 80s. Most airplanes do not have power in the seats unless its in first class and then it requires a strange adapter and half of them don't work. I hear the Santa Anas are blowing in San Diego and its going to hit 80. We are supposed to hit 70.

Charlene--kids sure can surprise us, huh? Did your DD place?

Rachel--what's it like down your way today? Still snowing?

Must go donate my mom's walker to an organization and there are only 3 hours a week they accept donations. Working on getting that garage cleaned out.

Anyway have a good day all.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:48 AM   #79
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning! Got in a 30 min treadmill workout and ab ripper x. About to head out for work and then off to dd14's track meet this evening. Gonna be cold!

Beth - how did counseling go? Is it helpful? What was the job you had a conversation about? Anything like what you were doing before? Have you mentioned to the band you are no longer going to be helping?

Diane and Rachel - Hope y'all are having a good day!
Old 02-28-2013, 06:36 AM   #80

Good Morning Slimmers!

I have been busy this week w/planning a weekend in Chicago for show choir. We have a competition up that way next Saturday then will head into the city for 2 days of fun. I am really looking forward to it as I will be a chaperone.

I am heading up tomorrow morning to get DD18. She is coming home for the weekend. I need to take her shopping to get stuff for her Mission trip and she needs help getting packed.

charlene: Yikes you guys start track early. We don't have any meets here until the end of March.

beth: It flurried all day yesterday but it didn't stick. We got a couple inches of rain the other day here so that is making it a soupy mess. I am so jealous to hear you say it is suppose to be 70* there. Can I please come live with you??

diane: Enjoy your trip to SD!!
Old 02-28-2013, 07:42 AM   #81
Blabbermouth!!!

Well I was a little disappointed with the scale this morning, it was down some more, but I was really hoping to see 188.anything! I was 192.2. I am still fighting that migraine.. it's wanting to come back. I don't know if it's worse because of the concussion or what.. it could be caused by dropping 7 lbs in 10 days! I have certainly been eating, just not as much. I'm already feeling more "normal" body-wise.. at least until I try on something that doesn't fit me!

I still have to pack for tomorrow. I have to touch up my roots, go to work, do psych homework and take a quiz, and a ton of other things. I went to pilates this morning, but I'll have to skip step tomorrow... I was going to try to squeeze it in before the airport, but I think it would be pushing it!

I didn't turn in that painting.. the professor really liked the "plants" in the bottom left corner and wanted them to stand out a little more, so I am adding some highlights to them.. plus she wants to be able to see Luna's shoes... lol.. I was trying to avoid them so I hid them in the grass, lol.

Rachel: Loved the family photos on facebook! I always wanted to get some done, but when my kids were younger and I was so overweight, I just didn't want to be in a picture like that. There were a LOT of things I didn't do because of the weight!

Charlene: Ahhh good ol Ab Ripper X.. I forgot all about that workout! I am excited about the trip for sure, but also very stressed (trying not to be).. just want everything to go as planned. One more day in the 30s, then it's warmth and sunshine! Woo hoo!

Beth: Yes! 80 on Saturday.. that is going to feel amazing! I think its supposed to be in the 70s on Sunday, then the 60s. I'll take the 60s over the 30s any day! I didn't hear back from the furniture store about the office job.. dang! I really wanted that one too. I haven't been looking as hard because of the trip, but when I get back I have GOT to find something. By June my ex will no longer have to pay my rent.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #82
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning all!

Its another beautiful day here in the Bay Area. My orchids are starting to bloom. Its actually a little early (like 6 weeks). Its going to be really warm this week. And its so nice and quiet here. Yesterday I donated my mom's walker to a place that has durable medical equipment for people that can't afford to buy it. And I also cleaned out more boxes in the garage. I am taking four boxes in for shredding which includes checks from my first checking account in the 70s! Time to get rid of that stuff. I had a long telephone conversation with my BFF yesterday. Her mom is improving and seems to be adjusting to the nursing home. She will be transferred to assisted living in a few weeks. I knew her mom would probably adjust pretty well-she is very social and there is a lot of interaction for her there, rather than home alone. She and her siblings are now cleaning out the house so that they can sell it but it will take a while. My counseling session was intense. I find it to be very helpful because it provides a space to focus on the loss and the issues that come with that loss. I've been such a hot mess the last few weeks and I was thinking I was farther down the path than I was. I've discharged a lot of emotion this week and I'm really tired. Am heading back to the gym tomorrow. The job is different from what I've done before-it doing consultation (interpretation) and business development for a tech company focused in healthcare. We're going to continue the conversation.

Charlene--hope the track meet is great tonight. WTG on getting on the treadmill. I've not said anything to the band yet. I'm going to wait a while. There is a gig on Friday night but I don't have to do sound since its at a studio that is already set up. And they are only playing for an hour. And there is already a drum kit so the only thing we have to bring is dh's stick bag. We can be last in, first out.

Rachel--where in Chicago are you going? Sounds like a lot of fun!

Diane--bet you can't wait to be on your way. Get some GREAT family photos while you are there. It will be so worth it.

OK--gotta go. Have a good one.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #83

beth: We are going to Ed Debevic's for lunch, shopping on Michigan Ave and dinner/show at Tommy Gun's Garage.

diane: Hope your migraine goes away!!
Old 02-28-2013, 09:59 PM   #84
Major LCF Poster!

See the new thread for March