Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 07:47 AM   #1
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Anyone want to join me in an Egg Fast Challenge?

I know this has been done lots of times here on the forum, but the most recent thread I could find took place in 2011? There's a meat & egg fast thread in the 'other plans' section, but I'm interested in doing an egg only fast and thought I'd start a new thread here

What is an egg fast challenge? You just eat eggs for 1-5 days (a week seems to be the limit on how many days people have done it for at a time). From what I've been reading on old threads, it's also a good idea to add some fats like cooking eggs in butter, using mayo etc. But besides that, just a whole lot of eggs

I'm starting today and don't know how many days I'm going to do it for-probably until I can't stand to look at another egg lol.

breafast-4 small/medium eggs scrambled with 1tbsp butter, crazy salt and then doused in hot sauce

lunch-3 eggs with mayo (deviled egg style)

supper-?? hb eggs, or maybe more deviled eggs

I'd like to get in a dozen today, but I don't know if I'll be able to hit that number.

Drinks-lots and lots of water (this is super important when doing an egg fast, from what I've read)
and then several cans of diet coke.

My starting weight: 147lbs

Last edited by mom23kids; 01-08-2013 at 07:48 AM..
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
Established

Changed my menu plan-

for lunch I ate three more eggs-hard boiled them and mashed them with mayo, mustard, 1/2 pkt of splenda, crazy salt and a pinch of paprika. Pretty much egg salad, but without the bread It tasted really good and I actually wanted more after it was gone-I'm going to boil some more eggs and make it for tonight and then have some leftover for tomorrow!

Last edited by mom23kids; 01-08-2013 at 11:20 AM..
Old 01-08-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I'd like to try this with you, mom23 kids, but do the egg fast on my JUDDD down days only (which means I'll be starting on Thursday). I'd like to stay with my JUDDD rotations but shake things up a bit on my DDs. Is that enough in the spirit of this challenge for you? I could try playing around with my tracker and see if I could manage to hit my calorie targets on an up day, if I added enough fat to do just egg and fat up days. I think I'm in a bit of a rut and need to shake things up; I seem to lose better when I do that.

I have been dipping my hard-boiled eggs in garlic gomesio, which is a mix of sea salt, garlic powder, and sesame seeds--way less boring than just salt. If you don't think that will break the spirit of your egg fast, you might give that a try--look for it in the Asian food section.

I'll check out my egg-based recipes at home and see if I find other things that might fit, and share them tomorrow or the next day.

I'd better go pick up some more free-range duck eggs from the food co-op tonight or tomorrow morning ...
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I'd like to try this with you, mom23 kids, but do the egg fast on my JUDDD down days only (which means I'll be starting on Thursday). I'd like to stay with my JUDDD rotations but shake things up a bit on my DDs. Is that enough in the spirit of this challenge for you? I could try playing around with my tracker and see if I could manage to hit my calorie targets on an up day, if I added enough fat to do just egg and fat up days. I think I'm in a bit of a rut and need to shake things up; I seem to lose better when I do that.

I have been dipping my hard-boiled eggs in garlic gomesio, which is a mix of sea salt, garlic powder, and sesame seeds--way less boring than just salt. If you don't think that will break the spirit of your egg fast, you might give that a try--look for it in the Asian food section.

I'll check out my egg-based recipes at home and see if I find other things that might fit, and share them tomorrow or the next day.

I'd better go pick up some more free-range duck eggs from the food co-op tonight or tomorrow morning ...
You can do it however you want to do it-welcome to the challenge

I'll have to look into the garlic gemesio-that sounds
Old 01-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
You can do it however you want to do it-welcome to the challenge

I'll have to look into the garlic gemesio-that sounds
Thanks! I just ran a sample up day menu through my tracker and see that I can do NK on an up day with an egg and fat fast if I: scramble eggs with HWC and cook in butter, use a generous amount of mayo in egg salad, and get the rest of my calories from HWC in coffee and coconut butter. So, tomorrow will be a JUDDD egg-and-fat-fast up day! Thanks for the encouragement to get out of my rut!
Old 01-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #6
Established

Quote:
Thanks! I just ran a sample up day menu through my tracker and see that I can do NK on an up day with an egg and fat fast if I: scramble eggs with HWC and cook in butter, use a generous amount of mayo in egg salad, and get the rest of my calories from HWC in coffee and coconut butter. So, tomorrow will be a JUDDD egg-and-fat-fast up day! Thanks for the encouragement to get out of my rut!
I hope you see positive results from your egg/fat day
Old 01-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #7
Established

Went off a strict egg plan just a bit-I made three scrambled eggs for my afternoon snack and added 1tbsp bacon bits to it. They had 25 calories, 1.5 fat and 0 carbs, so I don't think it will make that much of a difference I also added 2tbsp sour cream and hot sauce. It was a really good combo!

So today I've had 10 eggs (wow, it doesn't seem like I've eaten that many!), 2tbsp butter, 2tbsp sour cream, 1tbsp bacon bits, hot sauce, a glop of mayo and mustard (didn't measure-just eye balled it lol), tons of water and way too much diet coke

eggs-700ish calories (smalls/mediums)
butter-200 calories
sour cream-60 calories
hot sauce and mustard x
mayo 100ish calories
1tbsp bacon bits 25 calories

total so far-1,085ish calories

Tonight I'm planning on having another serving of 'egg salad' so that's four more eggs and more mayo and mustard. Will end the day right around 1,500 calories (give or take a few). That's actually pretty close to my normal UD calorie allotment (1,734), so I'm curious to see if there's a difference on the scale tomorrow, from a normal post UD weigh in (where I usually weigh in 1-2lbs higher than my post DD weigh ins).

Last edited by mom23kids; 01-08-2013 at 01:15 PM..
Old 01-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Went off a strict egg plan just a bit-I made three scrambled eggs for my afternoon snack and added 1tbsp bacon bits to it. They had 25 calories, 1.5 fat and 0 carbs, so I don't think it will make that much of a difference I also added 2tbsp sour cream and hot sauce. It was a really good combo!

So today I've had 10 eggs (wow, it doesn't seem like I've eaten that many!), 2tbsp butter, 2tbsp sour cream, 1tbsp bacon bits, hot sauce, a glop of mayo and mustard (didn't measure-just eye balled it lol), tons of water and way too much diet coke

eggs-700ish calories (smalls/mediums)
butter-200 calories
sour cream-60 calories
hot sauce and mustard x
mayo 100ish calories
1tbsp bacon bits 25 calories

total so far-1,085ish calories

Tonight I'm planning on having another serving of 'egg salad' so that's four more eggs and more mayo and mustard. Will end the day right around 1,500 calories (give or take a few). That's actually pretty close to my normal UD calorie allotment (1,734), so I'm curious to see if there's a difference on the scale tomorrow, from a normal post UD weigh in (where I usually weigh in 1-2lbs higher than my post DD weigh ins).
Isn't any form of bacon just another form of fat? That's how I tend to count it, and I've noticed Dana Carpenter reporting using bacon on her fat fast days. So I think you've been right on plan. I hope it pays off on the scale! Have you decided how long to stay with the egg fast?

Two hard-boiled eggs and some coffee with half and half for me so-far, plus some "off plan radishes" before I started doing this. I see quite a bit of drinking fluids in my future today, and probably an early bedtime to sleep through feelings of some DD hunger.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #9
Established

Well, my egg day fast has officially ended-brushed my teeth so I wouldn't be tempted to eat anything else tonight I think I ended up eating around 12 eggs (oh my!), and feel kind of bloated/overfull (a dozen eggs will do that to ya ). I feel like I went overboard with all the 'extras' I ate today (mayo etc), and part of me wonders if the scale will actually be higher tomorrow Calorie wise I was pretty high, so we'll see! I think I'm just going to do the one day for now and then maybe do another one in a couple weeks. But, feel free to still join in-some people have done with for up to a week with great results! I'll be watching this thread and rooting everyone on It would be fun if we could keep this thread going throughout 2013 and people can join in whenever they want!

Last edited by mom23kids; 01-08-2013 at 02:54 PM..
Old 01-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Sara. I think I'll try an egg and fat-based UD tomorrow, and see how it goes; I may try for 2 up days and 2 down days on egg/fat, which would get me up to the weekend, when I normally do my grocery shopping and cooking for the week ahead. I'd appreciate it if you'd stop in while I'm doing it, or otherwise I'll just be doing a challenge by myself, for now.

Since you are much better at shaking things up and trying out new things than I am, consider me as a possible challenge partner is you want to try a fat fast one of these days. I've been thinking I'd like to try that sometime.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lindawell8
Stats: 198/198/160
WOE: EFGT
Start Date: Jan. 2012
Hell-o, I would like to try this meat and fat WOE. But I was wondering if you can eat fat bombs with the eggs and meat. And CO also. I'm trying to do the 80% 15% 5%. but would like to try the eggs and meat fast. Thanks for the help.
lindawell8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:00 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lindawell8
Stats: 198/198/160
WOE: EFGT
Start Date: Jan. 2012
Sorry, didn't realize it was only eggs. I'm old and slow. LOL. So, can you eat fat bombs with just eggs and CO.
lindawell8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:15 AM   #13
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindawell8 View Post
Sorry, didn't realize it was only eggs. I'm old and slow. LOL. So, can you eat fat bombs with just eggs and CO.
The other threads I read through all recommended getting fat in, so I think fat bombs would be fine The main thing is to have eggs be the majority of what you eat!

Well, I'm down 1.5lbs this morning That after just doing one day of an egg fast-I'll definitely be doing it again, maybe at the end of the month
Old 01-09-2013, 04:53 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome, Linda! I'm very glad that you'll be joining me. I'm eating plenty of fat, along with eggs, since I need to get up to my up day calories on JUDDD. So fat bombs, CO, and eggs would be very consistent with what I'm doing.

Shaking things up with an egg day yesterday convinced the scale to finally drop, so I had a 2 pound whoosh overnight, and am now in the 170's! Woohoo!!

Today I'm having:
Egg salad made with plenty of mayo
Eggs mixed with HWC and scrambled in butter
Hard-boiled egg dipped in Gomasio (salt, garlic, and sesame seeds)
Coffee with HWC
Coconut butter
to get up to between 1500 and 1800 calories.

Congratulations, Sara, on your 1.5 pound whoosh after a daylong egg (and fat) fast! I'm going to try for a few more days of this, myself, and will go back to this or just a fat fast when the scale stops moving for a couple of weeks again, as I know it eventually will.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #15
Established

Quote:
Welcome, Linda! I'm very glad that you'll be joining me. I'm eating plenty of fat, along with eggs, since I need to get up to my up day calories on JUDDD. So fat bombs, CO, and eggs would be very consistent with what I'm doing.

Shaking things up with an egg day yesterday convinced the scale to finally drop, so I had a 2 pound whoosh overnight, and am now in the 170's! Woohoo!!

Today I'm having:
Egg salad made with plenty of mayo
Eggs mixed with HWC and scrambled in butter
Hard-boiled egg dipped in Gomasio (salt, garlic, and sesame seeds)
Coffee with HWC
Coconut butter
to get up to between 1500 and 1800 calories.

Congratulations, Sara, on your 1.5 pound whoosh after a daylong egg (and fat) fast! I'm going to try for a few more days of this, myself, and will go back to this or just a fat fast when the scale stops moving for a couple of weeks again, as I know it eventually will.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Well, my up day egg day came to an abrupt end when I found myself having to work late tonight and no eggs at hand for dinner. (I had thought I could go home and cook scrambled eggs with butter and cream, but that's not going to happen.) Anyway, I broke my egg fast with homemade saag paneer with cream, so at least I'm still eating according to my broader plan.

Maybe I can do another down day egg fast tomorrow, since I only eat about 3 hard-boiled eggs plus some coffee with half and half on a down day.

How did things go for you, Linda?
Old 01-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #17
Established

Quote:
Well, my up day egg day came to an abrupt end when I found myself having to work late tonight and no eggs at hand for dinner. (I had thought I could go home and cook scrambled eggs with butter and cream, but that's not going to happen.) Anyway, I broke my egg fast with homemade saag paneer with cream, so at least I'm still eating according to my broader plan.

Maybe I can do another down day egg fast tomorrow, since I only eat about 3 hard-boiled eggs plus some coffee with half and half on a down day.

How did things go for you, Linda?
What's saag paneer?
Old 01-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
What's saag paneer?
Indian way of preparing spinach with tomato, soft cheese, cream, and spices. I make mine from scratch (but buy the paneer cheese ready made at an Asian grocery store), but it's often on the menu at Indian restaurants and sold as a microwave meal by some Indian companies.

I ended up pulling a near all-nighter last night, trying to get through a bunch of work before I have to train and divide up assignments for new student employees starting soon. I stayed low carb, but did some frustration eating.

I'll be stocking up on duck eggs and coming in to work more prepared next time--maybe even this weekend. I'm having dinner at a Malaysian restaurant with a friend before a concert (curry with veggies on the side, hold the rice), on Saturday, but I'm going to try another egg and fat day on Sunday, if possible.