Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 07:01 AM   #61
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sueshe
Stats: 226.5/207.0/135 5'4 1/2
WOE: Kinda counting calories/fat
Start Date: Feb 10 2014
I got one heck of a bombshell yesterday. My boss told us he is leaving and going to another hospital. I have worked with him for 14 years. So many bad things about it. There are only three of us in our department, so that only leaves two. The other one was just hired 8 months ago, so is just a baby. We are in the middle of a huge project. So many things he does that I don't know. I am not sure now if I will be able to take my vacation in May. If they don't hire anyone between now and then, I can't leave the new guy here to fend for himself for a week. They would eat him alive. Still can't believe he is leaving. I had my usual anxiety dream last night of being at school and night being able to find my classes or get anyone to help me. I have had the same dream since I was in Junior high school when I get anxious about something.

So anyway, I'm on my day two. I DID walk last night, aren't you guys proud of me First time I've walked in ages and ages. I started at 20 minutes, watched Bold and the Beautiful while I walked I had to keep it on Warm Up for a while, then gradually got it up to 2 miles per hour. I know I'll get there! Going to walk every night that I am able and hoping in the next week will be increasing the speed and time. I wasn't sore this morning, but did feel pretty good (hot), but good after I walked. Cheat free yesterday. I made these chicken packets for supper and they were so good. Spray some Pam on aluminum foil, put a chicken breast on it, season top and bottom then slice mushrooms and zucchini and green onions, spray a little on the top and make a loose sealed packet out of them. Bake at 425 for about 35-40 mins. YUMMO! The fam even liked them! You could certainly tweak them anyway you wanted with different seasonings and lc veggies!

01/23 216.5
01/24 216.0
01/25 214.5 (: back to where I was yipee

Today's menu:

B: bacon (hubby has been making me bacon before I leave )
L: salad with golden italian dressing
D: Emerald Isle soup (finally )

Today's goal: 64oz water, 20 mins on the treadmill, may up to 25

My dgd is coming this evening for a while, making them all grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup, but I'm going to make me Emerald Isle soup, that way I will have something to warm up this weekend also. Can't wait to see what it tastes like.

226.5 215 210 200 190 180 170 160
sueshe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2013, 07:22 AM   #62
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Cherylg
Stats: 214/186/165
Start Date: Every Monday
Tasha - so sorry about your job! When is he leaving? Any chance you could get his job and a nice big raise?

That chicken sounds really good -

Michelle - hi, glad you are here! You sound like you are doing great!

BBL-
Cherylg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:27 AM   #63
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

His last day is Feb 21. No, I had his job once and stepped down. Entirely too much stress for me. Maybe if I was about 20 years younger, but I'm not sure I would even want it then. Since we have been taken over by a corporate employer, way way too much stress. I like that I can go home and breathe easy. The stress is one of the reasons he is leaving, so....Just hope we get someone good and nice in here. We've had a streak in other departments of them hiring someone that seems nice at first and then turns out to be overbearing and a little psycho. I've been lucky, have been here 22 years, had 4 bosses and two were great, the other two nice, bearable, but lazy(which is why they are no longer here!) With hospitals being under so much government red tape, you cannot have someone that is lazy here. Too much to do and way too understaffed.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:41 AM   #64
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

DON'T LET THE STRESS MAKE YOU EAT - that is a big part of my problem. If something happens at work and I get pissed off and stressed - I go home, have so me wine and then eat whatever I want.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:32 AM   #65
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I know....I'm a big stress and boredom eater. I was ok last night, just dreamed a lot. Hoping it doesn't get worse as the time draws near.... I'm sticking with this come hell or high water.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #66
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I read something once, just think INO - It is not an option!!
Old 01-25-2013, 08:54 AM   #67
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I saw something on Pinterest the other day too that kept going through my head... "When you are tempted to cheat, remember why you started in the first place" So, I keep picturing the pictures I hate of me over Christmas in my head. I also keep trying to think of the benefits of this long run!!
Old 01-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #68
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I know - Ashley took a side shot of me at Christmas that was so horrible. I look at it and think, how the hell did I let myself go like this?
Old 01-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Micmac
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 28, 2012
Good Morning Tasha and Cheryl I went on a morning walk with a couple ladies in my neighborhood. (They walk EVERY morning at 7am until the Summer heat hits and then they go at 5am) I have walked on and off with them the past 3 years, but I don't like to go in the summer. It's just tooo HOT and 5 am is toooo early for me to be up and walking. After the summer heat, I had all those puppies I was raising for about 2 months and since then, I have just felt so out of shape, that I kept making excuses. BUT, I finally got out there this morning, we all take our dogs and we walk around a 40 acre alfalfa field near our area that the dogs can run and play and get exercise too. It's about 2-1/2 miles. After that making breakfast of eggs and sausage for my dh and myself and now and heading to the gym. I'm going to have to write down everything I'm eating. All of the sudden, I'm really stagnating. I'm still feeling lots better than I did when eating all those carbs, but NEED to get this weight off!

Tasha I'm sorry to hear about your boss leaving and the added stress and workload. Hopefully they'll get a new boss in there soon and it won't ruin your May vacation plans. Stress is a big reason for my going off-plan way too often. But I'm trying to think of it in terms of my long-term goal too! Congrats on your weight loss! I'm still trying to break through to my next lb. I'm kind of losing 2/10 -4/10 or nothing each day I've weighed since Monday. Slow and steady is OK, barely budging is not what I have planned.
Micmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #70
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Michelle, I find that if I stay at the same weight for a while, it's usually too many low carb foods or I'm not drinking enough water or something.You're doing well though, if I do that, that seems to be my breaking point and I get discouraged and say, Oh well, I'm not moving anyway, I'll just cheat today and then go back on tomorrow, and it doesn't happen that way.

I wish I didn't have to be at work so early, would much rather walking in the morning outside(when it is warm enough), but I already get up at 5:15, I think my body would fight back if I got up any earlier.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:42 AM   #71
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I just wanted to say have a nice weekend! I am going to a seafood fest along the water tomorrow with my nephew's wife. It is suppose to be high
70's and sunny

I will really try to be good!
Old 01-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #72
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, so jealous! I love seafood, love the water...love the high 70's Is sunny here, but it did make it up to 41 degrees today, lots better than the 26 degrees yesterday! They are saying we are supposed to be close to 70 by next Tuesday with thunderstorms. I guess we'll see.... Have a great time and you have a nice weekend too! BEHAVE!!!
Old 01-25-2013, 10:35 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Seafood buffet sounds Delicious! Hopefully lots of good low carb choices there~
You know Tasha you mentioned when you stagnate, that too many low carb foods might be the reason I think I just had an epiphany moment. I've been trying to figure what I've eaten that was wrong; maybe it's not 'what' but rather, 'how much'! hmmmmmmm.....
It's supposed to rain here this weekend, so not planning too much outside activities even though the temperature is perfect. Hope you have a great weekend!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:02 AM   #74
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

01/23 216.5
01/24 216.0
01/28 211.0

Good Monday morning...

so dreary here. Warm for a change, but dreary. I think it is supposed to be in the 60's today, but very damp and gray.

Hope you guys had a good weekend! Saturday I cleaned house and piddled, then we went and picked up our granddaughter and went to eat( I had salad and steak at Ryan's), then we went to Wal-Mart and Aldi's for groceries. Yesterday I painted dgd's toes for Valentines() and cleaned a little more, did laundry and cleaned on my closet some. I also sat and watched the first two Lord of the Ring's and worked on a baby afghan I'm making for one of my daughter's childhood friends. I made homemade ranch dressing and banana pudding for the fam, ds made them lasagna. I ended up having a pretty good sized salad.

Today's menu:

B: bacon and eggs
L: salad with golden italian dressing, hamburger patty
D: Emerald Isle soup(yes, am finally making it tonight lol)

Will be really crazy weird here at work for a long time to come, so many questions and worrying we will get someone that doesn't mesh with us, you know? Has happened one too many times with new Directors from other departments. I guess we'll see.

Have a good day!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:35 AM   #75
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning!

I did not do good at all this weekend Back on wagon today!
I went to the Seafood Fest on Saturday and had lots of fun but ate and drank too much - Love those rum runners! It was a gorgeous day, right on the Manteee Pocket which is beatuiful.

Sunday, I did better. I made turkey sausage and peppers. and then bbq's some chicken.

Oh, I bought two Atkins Frozen meals - they just about ran out of them at Walmart so not much choices - I got the Beef Merlot. I will let you know.

Today, I am doing cardio tonite and my menu will be:

B - 2 hb eggs, turkey bacon
L - leftover chicken
D - More chicklen with veggies

S - Activie Light yogurt - only 10 carbs and I mix flaxseed in it -

BBL

Cheryl
Old 01-28-2013, 07:37 AM   #76
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tasha - I am sorry - just noticed. CONGRATS ON YOUR LOSS
Old 01-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #77
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

thanks Cheryl I didn't know Atkins made frozen meals? How many carbs do they generally run?

I have a whole container of flax seed and need it badly for the fiber, but don't know what to do with it
Old 01-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #78
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tasha - they are about 8-10 carbs each, and I think only Walmart is carrying them right now. Flax seed is suppose to be wonderful for you but I am not crazy about taste - you can put it in oatmeal, yogurt, shakes???
Old 01-28-2013, 09:44 AM   #79
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I may look on the recipe board and see what I can find. Seems like I saw a thing on there once about flax crackers. I don't eat oatmeal or yogurt and don't drink shakes until way later on. I have been thinking about substituting one of my meals with an Atkins Shake, have you ever tried them, any thoughts? I've always steered away from anything from Atkins because the couple of times I tried them I stalled.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #80
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Anything ready made is bound not to be 100% low carb. Even those dinners have too much salt.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #81
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

yea, that's what I was afraid of. I also don't buy into their 'net' carbs. Usually if I had a shake, it would be cream, a few frozen strawberries and splenda. I'm not quite in the strawberry stage though yet. May see if I can find some induction friendly shakes that I could maybe sprinkle some flax in.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Wow!!! Congrats on dropping those pounds Tasha!!

About Ground Flax Seed, I really like it and have found several recipes using it, plus I like to add it to protein shakes that I make with strawberries or blueberries, cream, ice, water, protein powder and Stevia. Here is a link to some recipes making a flax "bread". There are LOTS of variations to it. I've made it using basically the original version to begin with because I like to know how things are supposed to turn out before I start tweaking them. Since then I substituted a little Stevia in the liquid part of the sweetener, but am planning on buying xylitol to try that so I can get rid of the Splenda portion. I thought it was really good though and was a nice change of pace to have that with my eggs at breakfast sometimes. If interested read through some of the thread and tell me what you think. Although the carbs vary with the various changes, I believe Flax is a wash because its 3 gms fiber and 3 gms carb per 1/4 cup....I think.

FLAX MUFFIN/BREAD - all my research! :)

And while looking at that I also saw this recipe using flax, although I haven't tried it yet.

Description: Muffin in a Minute (suitable for Induction)
Serving Size: 1
***I leave out the splenda, add 1/4 cup canned pumpkin and nuke it for 3 minutes. You can experiment with herbs and seasonings.....others have suggested mashed cauliflower and feta cheese for example....so good! They aren't kidding about soaking the cooking container right away cause it will turn to concrete.
INGREDIENTS:
1/4 cup flax meal
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 packet splenda packet
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 large egg
1 teaspoon butter
How To Prepare: Put the dry ingredients in a coffee mug. Or a bowl for a different shape.
Stir.
Then add the egg and the butter. Mix.
Microwave 1 minute (or more). Take out. slice, butter, eat. Set mug to soak immediately.

Cream cheese would go nicely, too.
Number of Servings: 1
Carbs per serving - include all nutritional information if known: Notes: 1.5 net carbs. Per serving: 235 Calories; 18g Fat (63% calories from fat); 12g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 9.5 g. fiber; 223mg Cholesterol; 284mg Sodium
----------------
So on Saturday, I woke up and noticed that I just felt less "swollen", less "bloated". Noticed this in my hands and in my face. Then I wore a pair of dress slacks that evening that about 3-4 weeks ago when I tried them on, I couldn't button. This evening, they buttoned and were actually comfortable. Feeling confidant, I weighed the next morning, and MUCH TO MY DISMAY, I actually gained 1#!!!!! OMG! CLothes fitting better, I'm feeling better and then this!!! It really bummed me out. I talked to my ds who was home from College for the weekend and he said that since I've been working out and started using weights too, that I am building muscle. I guess so....I figured that.... and, I hope so....but I sure know that I got A LOT OF WEIGHT TO LOSE. I don't want my clothes to just fit better, I want to wear a different size! This morning though, I weighed and 6/10# of the 1# had come off. So I'm thankful for that.
On Friday, I'm going to try my first attempt at ZUMBA! There are lots of people in that class at the gym, I'm hoping that I can kind of be in the back while I attempt to learn the steps! I'm excited though and hope that the increase in aerobics (something besides the treadmill and the elliptical) will help with the weight loss too! I still want to keep doing my workouts though because I am in this for the long haul and really wish to get healthy AND thin!

Tasha, do you eat anything in between your meals? If yes, what do you have? If not, then you are very disciplined.

Got to get going on supper!....Something with broccoli???

Michele
Old 01-29-2013, 06:23 AM   #83
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ok - TODAY IS IT! I had a nice long talk with myself and I have had it.
I am tired of feeling sorry for myself and then go on an eating binge - I am going on induction today - I want to go into ketosis so bad and lose this enormous appetite!!

Please come on here and motivate me - I need help!! I could tell you 100 different reasons why I need to get rid of this big gut yet I keep eating bread, etc.................

I am working out with personal trainer today and I am sticking to this - I KNOW I CAN, I KNOW I CAN....................

B - 2 hb eggs with turkey bacon
L - chicken
S - low carb protein shake
D - not sure
Old 01-29-2013, 07:00 AM   #84
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

01/23 216.5
01/24 216.0
01/28 211.0
01/29 211.0 TOM

Wow, thanks Michelle, appreciate all the info on flax!!! No, I don't eat between meals, mainly during the day because I'm really busy at work and don't think about food until it's lunch time, I used to have a horrible habit of eating before supper and then I would be extremely full. Since I've started back on induction, I don't do that anymore. I walk. I have a Zumba game for my Xbox Connect, tried it a few times, but am just not coordinated enough to do that. I wish I was. My daughter does very well at it and it does work your butt out!!

Cheryl-YOU CAN DO THIS!!! I know you can, have so much faith in you! We can all get this done together and then we'll be talking about maintaining You are the only one that can break the cycle. I realized that several times and I have said it before, something has to get right in your head for you to be able to do this way of eating, but once it clicks....you're golden!!!

I got home yesterday and was unsure if dgd was coming or not, dsil brings her if he has to be at his second job on some days before my dd gets off work. Well, sure enough, I had only been walking about 10 minutes when he brought her, so I took her in the office with me and sat her down in her little beanbag chair with a magazine and a sucker and started walking again....very very very hard to entertain a 2 year old while on a treadmill. She was trying to imitate me walking by scooting her feet back and forth, was so funny, but I finally got finished. I didn't get to make my soup last night, started it and realized I had thrown out my cream because it had expired(I cleaned the fridge Saturday). SOOO... I cooked some cole slaw mix in butter and had a ham/creamcheese/pickle roll up. Weird combination I know, but I was full and that's all that mattered. The rest of them had lasagna and chili leftovers.

SO, on my day 6 now.

Goals for today, walk 30 minutes, drink 64+ oz water, stay on plan!

Today's menu:

B: bacon and eggs
L: salad I brought from home and homemade ranch
D: baked pork chop, spinach
S: boiled egg and slice of cheese

Hope you all have a great day!
Old 01-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #85
Senior LCF Member

Hey Cheryl, Great job starting over today, You CAN do this!!!
I saw a "Quatable Quote" a few months ago and thought it would be my mantra this year: "A Year From Now You Will Wish You Had Started Today"!!!
The first few days of denying ourselves is always the hardest, but even by tomorrow, you will be happy that you started today and are 1 step closer to where you want to be!
Tasha, good job walking on your treadmill despite the surprise visit by you dgd! That IS dedication!
I weighed this morning and lost that pound that re-found me plus another 1/2 lb. Thank Goodness
It's my B-day today and we (my dh and myself) celebrated over the weekend with our ds (our youngest who came home from College for the weekend) and our oldest ds and dil with our 2 sweet grand babies. Today, my dh is traveling but when he comes home after being in NH, he is bringing Lobster! Soooo, we'll kind of be celebrating again with a super delicious meal of lobster and steamers tomorrow eve! Can't wait! That'll all be low carb, so should be a legal indulgence!
Have a Super Day!
Michele †
Old 01-29-2013, 10:55 AM   #86
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mel K
Stats: 170/160/135
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: January 22, 2013
Hi ladies! I know I am a bit late, but would you mind if I join you?

A little about myself...I have been married for 13 years and I am the mom of two - an 8 year old son and a 5 year old daughter. I have never been thin, but I have been slowly watching my weight creep up over the past few years and I know I'm at the point where I have to do something! I work part-time (while the kids are in school) and my husband works out of town a lot (he is gone more than he's home). My kids are picky eaters, so I spend a lot of time stressing about food. I tend to be an emotional eater, so with dh gone...well, I do way to much snacking at night after the kids are in bed.

I have read a lot about low carb diets and I really believe they are the healthiest way to go. I would eventually like to follow a paleo diet, but I need some structure to start out with, which is why I'm doing Atkins. I am one week in and have lost 6lbs. I always lose a good bit of weight during the first week of any diet I'm on, so I'm trying not to get too excited.

Let's see...I forgot to say that I'm 37 years old. I would love to be fit and healthy before I hit my 40s!!!
Mel K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:36 AM   #87
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WTG MIchelle on the loss!!! and Hope you have an awesome day with your family! Lobster makes me drool....

Mel!!!! Great job on the loss!!! I'll have to read up on the paleo woe, have never heard of it. Glad you're with us!!! I always think the more support you have the better off you are!!!
Old 01-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Hi Mel and glad you're here!
I know just a little bit about the Paleo way of eating. I know its even more restrictive than Atkins but I think it allows some of the alternative grains etc. I've made some Paleo recipes and they've been very good. My trigger for "cheating" is definitely carbs. But, I have found that if I make sure I get my protein in during my meals, then I'm not near as tempted not near as hungry as otherwise. I have read the book Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis (a preventative cardiologist). Long term for me, I'd like to stay off of Wheat permanently. It means saying good-bye to lots of old standby's and traditions, but I'd much rather say hello to being in-shape and healthy! And besides, I'm looking forward to experimenting with his advise on some of the alternative flours that won't spike blood sugar and converting some of my old (traditional) recipes. (That will probably be a bit down the road though, cause I don't want to eat those extra carbs now).

Thanks for the birthday wishes Tasha! Off to a hair appointment now!

Michele †
Old 01-30-2013, 06:51 AM   #89
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

01/23 216.5
01/24 216.0
01/28 211.0
01/29 211.0 TOM
01/30 210.0 TOM

Good morning all....down another pound. YIPEE I'm already down a pound from my goal I had set for myself this Friday.

Walked as soon as I got home yesterday, increased my time to 30 mins. I get bored so easy, even with the tv on, I caught myself checking the time like every two minutes. Wish I enjoyed it more.

Have a dr appt today. My EGD showed esophageal reflux, which I knew, and Gastritis. I didn't know what that was, he did a biopsy on the lining of my stomach too. I looked it up and said a list of the causes, one of which was overuse of aspirin or ibuprofen which causes inflammation in the lining. I have horrible headaches, sometimes every day so I am an avid Advil user. I am going to talk to her today and find out if there is something else I can take for them instead of that....thinking that is what is causing my problems.

Goals for today: walk 30 mins, 64+ oz of water

Today's menu:

B: eggs, bacon
L: not sure....maybe run to Sonic and get a salad after dr appt
D: tuna melt, green beans

Everyone have a great day!
Old 01-30-2013, 07:04 AM   #90
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I did good yesterday! Worked out with trainer and she killed me. Got my new scale in mail but did not open it yet!

My stomach still feels huge and I am afraid to get on scale. I know I gained like 5 lbs over the holidays and I am not sure if they are gone. I think I will just do really good, try to get into ketosis and then get on scale. It is all a mind game with me. Good news is my bookkeeper has just started Atkins so now I have company. She has been eating Atkins frozen meals and says they are really good.

Tasha - Yeah for your loss!! Sorry for you illness Hopefully the doc will have some good news for you!

Mel - We are a small but great group. I have been coming here over 10 years. (and I am still fat) - Snacking at night is a big issue with me so hopefully we can all help each other!!

Mel - Hope you had a nice birthday!! Lobster and steamers - I will be right there!! I had a bunch of steamers last Sat and boy were they good! (so were the rum runners