Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Challenges! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-challenges/)
-   -   The 2-4-6-8-10 Week Challenge (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-challenges/792702-2-4-6-8-10-week-challenge.html)

michelle204 01-03-2013 07:35 AM

The 2-4-6-8-10 Week Challenge

Happy New Year everyone! Now that all the merriment is over it is time to get down to business. When I originally lost my 100 lbs I did so two weeks at a time. I found mini goals and mini time frames were more achievable. So I have started this 2 week at a time challenge. It will be good for those who only have a little weight to lose and may only need 2 or 4 weeks to do it in or good for those who have more weight to lose or lose slower and need longer.

Any plan is welcome here. Personally once I detox from Christmas I will be doing Atkins induction then just low carb after that.

So who's ready to jump on board for 2-4-6-8-or 10 weeks of support and advice and butt kicking ?

I'm Michelle...I'm a carb addict....and I say 2013 is MY year to set things right!

zipp2play 01-03-2013 07:51 AM

I'm continuing on JUDDD! I had my first solid DD yesterday and it went really well.

My new goal for 2013 is to get to 154! To break that down smaller, I would like to first get to 164 within the 10 weeks. My mini-goal in 2 weeks is to get on the scale and see where I am at. No need to right now, it would just make me sad! ;)

jbatchelor 01-03-2013 01:08 PM

well-I started the New Year at 177--didn't shock me but I am not happy at all when I was close to 150 at one point last year--I don't need to be losing and gaining and losing and gaining the same pounds year after year-so I am hoping to reach goal and even beyond if that is possible in order to give me some leeway? I am hoping to reach 148 as that has been my goal all these years but would actually prefer 140 or 138 as my final weight! I am hoping to make this a lifestyle instead of thinking of this as a diet--I have never gotten that ingrained in my thinking and that is where I fail I think--it must be a totally different way of looking at this to be healthy and stay that way--carbs are my addiction and downfall and I have to stay away from them..

Monica--loved the pic of Haven and Dennis parasailing--I might be able to do that as a team but doubtful! Your sister looks a lot like you if she would cut her hair... thanks for sharing your cruise with us--did you have underwater cameras for the snorkeling? The fish are always so pretty--I went snorkeling in the Bahamas years ago and it was amazing!

Michelle-thanks for setting us up once again-I think I can do this at two week intervals--surely I can do anything for two weeks? On another note--I have Vanessa Romero working on my recipe for the Italian coconut cream cake-she has a blog that I can't link to but she was willing to try and rework it for me--I am anxious to see what she comes up with.. will share when she does.

michelle204 01-03-2013 02:59 PM

My intentions are to lose 1 lb per week for the ten weeks, but I am concentrating on the first two weeks only.

jbatchelor 01-03-2013 04:24 PM

I don't think I will put the pressure on myself by setting a number limit--I want to do well but I am afraid of those numbers making me nuts--then again maybe I need the pressure to keep me honest? I am afraid if I do the number thing I will equate this way of eating again with dieting and I really want to just make it eating healthy for life...not the diet mindset! does that make sense to anybody but me? I sometimes think I am floundering?

Michelle--Your goal is very realistic-how are you doing? I am surprisingly doing well at getting back in gear..this is the third day of eating correctly and I am doing well so far--notice I said correctly instead of eating on plan! trying to psych myself into the healthy way of eating for me!! no dieting!

I got a lot of paperwork done today--I do have more to do--I need to do some cleaning tomorrow and finish my straightening and disposing of paperwork and I should be good for awhile--I let crap pile up too easily! supposed to have a visit for the day this weekend from my Indy son and his family--we will be celebrating the hubs and Cassidy's birthday--she will be 16--sweet 16 --hard to believe she is so grown up! I think we will all head out to dinner--Mexican I hope! Can't wait to see the baby!!

time to watch some tv!

michelle204 01-03-2013 05:06 PM

Wow Jeanne I applaud your views. You are so right. You have certainly gained much wisdom for such a young woman. I think I will try and adopt some of your insights. But I also agree that a little pressure is in order. It is always hard choosing between what is easy and what is right, hopefully we get it soon.
As for me....I have been choosing better, but still not great.

jbatchelor 01-04-2013 04:49 AM

Hahaha--you have that part about the young woman wrong--I am a few months shy of 64! I am hoping to be healthier this year and get to feeling younger instead of my age-I think carrying this extra weight I put on in the month of December has made a difference even in my knees! I can tell how that much weight makes a big difference!! How did I ever weigh 248? It is a good thing that big part of the weight is gone--it would be so easy to let myself slip back into eating that way again tho--way too easy! I am starting my 4th day of eating well and treating my body well--I am not sure what I am cooking tonite but I am cooking healthier for me and the hubs--no amish buffets this week!! and no donuts for him or me! he is still eating candy but I can't make him stop some things-I just need to be strong enough to resist it for me--I do have some fat bombs I made that I have been eating--they satisfy that need for chocolate!

Michelle--you keep trying--and you will get it right--the key is preparation I believe and to never give up...if I have things ready to eat then I can stay the healthy way---I am going to concentrate on healthy!

Monica--are you back to work and back to the grind? I forgot to tell you--you looked tan and beautiful in your pics!! how is your weather there in Kansas? we still have lots of snow but it is supposed to warm up next week--I have two days of doc appts so I hope the weather stays good--plus my car finally gets aligned!..I have been a hermit since the snow fell.. time to get out..

zipp2play 01-04-2013 07:08 AM

Quote:

supposed to have a visit for the day this weekend from my Indy son and his family--we will be celebrating the hubs and Cassidy's birthday--she will be 16--sweet 16 --hard to believe she is so grown up! I think we will all head out to dinner--Mexican I hope! Can't wait to see the baby!!
Oh sweet 16! How awesome! Enjoy the celebrating this weekend!

Michelle , big plans for the weekend???

Jeanne - yes I went back to work on 12/31...worked 10 hours straight. Then I worked another 10 on 01/02. Yesterday was easing up a bit and then today, I think I may be getting to the bottom of some of the piles! I did get a tan over Chistmas. We all did! It will quickly fade as we have snow on the ground here too! Next week is supposed to get us out of the 30*'s, so I am happy about that.

This weekend, Haven has her first Volleyball tournament! She is very excited. We have to be in Topeka (45 minute drive) by 7:00 a.m.! That stinks, so early alarm for us ON A SATURDAY! It's like softball all over again. So tonight, we will go to bed early. Sunday is back to Sunday School and church! Then we have the afternoon to REST! :lol:

michelle204 01-04-2013 08:02 AM

No big plans here. Life is boring as usual for me.

I'm doing well at my food choices. Just have to get the portions down to a good size. I still have a big appetite from all the christmas indulging. But at least my food choices are on point. Weigh in is tomorrow and that is the weight I will record for the beginning of this challenge.

Have to go banking and a little bit of grocery shopping now. I'll check in later. Have a great day girls.

jbatchelor 01-04-2013 08:39 AM

Yeah Michelle for being on track!! I just looked at my blood sugar record--I quit recording on the 10th of December--that's when I fell off the wagon-my brothers birthday was the 12th so it hit me hard this year without him--I figure this will be the hardest year and I survived it by eating--not a good choice! but I will need better coping methods next year-I think I will be better prepared for it if it hits me like a brick wall like this year! I appreciate being able to come here and talk about--it is very hard to talk to Mom--she hurts also..

It seems good to have Volleyball to have something to focus on during the dreary winter months I think? I used to enjoy going to Cassidy's games--that was another thing she tried and didn't excel in--she tried everything and wanted to "make it" but she is a runner thru and thru--so glad she kept trying and didn't give up--I am so proud of her for not giving up at sports!

Monica--have a good weekend--even though it is busy--these weekends with the kids will be all too short--trust me--I really miss having things to do on weekends--especially in the winter

Michelle--I have a boring life too--only when the kids include me do I actually have a life--and usually their lifes go on without me--they are all so busy doing other things without old mom and dad! which is how it should be! I am just glad to be included now and then!

back to cleaning

zipp2play 01-04-2013 11:25 AM

Jeanne - I am sure you are right. I will tell myself that on Saturday at 4:45 a.m. when the alarm goes off!!!!!! Just wrong to use an alarm on the weekend! SUCH IS! I am excited to watch her play! BTW I am NEVER to busy for my MOM! Problem is, she / Dad aren't able to drive her like they used to just on a whim. Now it has to be more planned.

Michelle - if we had as much snow as you, I think I would stay inside ALL WINTER LONG!

jbatchelor 01-04-2013 03:02 PM

guess what I got in the mail today??? the nicest Christmas Cruise/ New Years Day card from a dear friend--how in the world she had time to do that I will never know? I went over all the pics with the hubs so he would be included in the loop--he doesn't get having close cyber friends! I think it is a wonderful way to continue friendships and make more!! Thanks Monica for the card and like I said--how do you find time to do it all??? love the card!!

I tried to change my avatar--it may stay there for awhile--nothing I do works! I don't know what I am doing wrong but I may have to put up with seeing Dolly in her Christmas garb for along time the way this is working out! duh!

jbatchelor 01-04-2013 04:14 PM

finally!!! nothing like wasting a couple of hours playing on the computer when I could be getting more things ready for the son and family--they might be staying overnite--yippee--it is supposed to snow tomorrow--that might work in my favor! an extra day with the baby!!! but I didn't get everything done I wanted to--I will have to work like a banshee in the morning now!

Made on of LindaSue's casserole's tonite-the hubs liked it--

HAMBURGER-BROCCOLI ALFREDO CASSEROLE - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

it was easy and good--my type of recipe--I doubled the broccoli and the cheeses because I thought that was a lot of hamburger otherwise--and put it in a 9x13 pan--it worked out well...

time to watch some tv--have a great weekend girls! this is my fourth day back on plan--feeling better and glad to be back in control!

Happy2be 01-04-2013 10:34 PM

I love this idea. So I have been doing Atkins for a year now with success. Had a little derailment but I'm back at it now. I had done an average a little while ago. I will go back and look at that and figure out my goals for the challenge. I want it to be a challenge...but not so far fetched that I set myself up for failure.

Ok... So I went back and looked. I average 11 lbs a month. I am going to put it at 8 Lbs a month. 2 lbs a week, so.....
My first 2 week challenge I would like to make it through induction and lose 4 lbs.

So for the 10 week challenge I would like to see 20 lbs total lost.
10 weeks will put me at March 15.

jbatchelor 01-05-2013 05:27 AM

Hi Melanie--welcome to the challenge and to our group--we are small but great!! you are my neighbor in Ohio!! I think your goal of 2lb a week is definitely doable--sounds like you have been doing great already--please share how you do and what your hints are-we love sharing whatever is going on in our lives too--I have been bad the last 20 days of December--really bad so I am going to try my hardest to make this a woe and not a diet this year--that is my main goal--I want it to be a lifestyle as I have some pre-diabetes issues and also other reasons to eat this way--again--welcome to our group--we are glad to have you here--

Jeanne

hey--now we have 3 M's---Melanie, Monica, and Michelle!!!

michelle204 01-05-2013 07:21 AM

Welcome Melanie! I think you are going to have great success with your plan and we can't wait to see you in onederland!

Jeanne--- I am adopting your philosophy of good food choices and eating for health and not calling it a diet. There is too much pressure with the words diet and cheat and such.

I have armed myself with some reading material for the month. Wheat Belly, Wheat Belly the Cookbook, and the Carb Sensitivity Program by Natasha Turner. My intentions are good but lately when ever I start reading I fall asleep, so I am hoping I can get through these books without nodding off.

Weigh in today was good. Already down 3 lbs, but I know that is just the water retention from all the bingeing. But still it's amove in the right direction. So I hope to lose 2 more lbs by the 19th. My b-day is the 23rd and I don't want to use that as an excuse to eat poorly. I'm worth it!Now if only I could believe what I say.
Have a wonderful Saturday everyone.

jbatchelor 01-05-2013 07:36 AM

Glad to have you aboard the health train Michelle--I am really hoping to change my mindset this time--If you read anything great -please share--I have heard reading Wheat Belly will wake up regarding gluten! I don't think I have gluten issues but who knows? I really just want to focus on getting rid of the carbs-not sure I can focus on getting rid of the wheat too? but then again I actually bake with almond and coconut flour anyway-so maybe I do? I do use flax tho? I am not sure what all has wheat actually!

Congrats on the three pounds--whether it is water weight or not--it is 3 pounds and it makes you feel better--I know the first few pounds is always fluid but even getting that off sure does help--I went back and looked--I started eating on the 10th of December--I figured I gained 19 lbs in 20 days! I did it all to myself--no one to blame but me-I really had to shovel it in to do that and I did! I was shameless as the song goes! the addict totally came out! good thing I restarted but now I have to pay the piper-need to learn to live life differently-that's why I must think of eating differently too--to stop this madness of overeating when I fall--I have to change and quit doing this to my body--it can't be good...

What are you planning for your birthday--any big celebrations?? I think you can totally stay on plan--just bake something lowcarb--there are so many things out there now that are good --just go to one of the good lowcarb sites and bake bake bake--I need to start doing the same--I know Chicken Lady has a great carrot cake and a chocolate cake that has great reviews here on LCF..

I will weigh in on Mondays--it just seems to keep me honest over the weekend...the son hasn't arrived yet--so I had a few--later if I can be back--baby time usually doesn't allow-lol

jbatchelor 01-06-2013 07:15 AM

duh-just went and posted on the thanksgiving thread again--must be totally wiped out with baby time? I will pull it together later maybe?

Happy2be 01-06-2013 08:21 AM

:lol: jbatchelor. Get some sleep. :)

Today is going good so far. Turkey is cooking in roaster for later. So far I have had sausage and eggs for breakfast and cup of coffee with Splenda and a little half and half. My stomach is a little upset and has been since yesterday. I'm not sure what's going on.

michelle204 01-06-2013 10:12 AM

Melanie....Sorry to hear you're not well. I hope you feel better soon.
I love turkey. We just finished 3 days of it ourselves. I bought a fresh turkey this year and it seems so much juicier then a frozen one, but way too much money.

Jeanne.... Enjoy your family and congrats on being a grandma again. Fingers are crossed for a healthy baby girl.

I ate pretty well yesterday. Just a few too many nuts.Today is too early to tell. I had scrambled eggs for breakfast and I know we are having bunless hamburgers for supper, but Im a little clueless for lunch and any snacks.

I read quite a bit of Wheat Belly yesterday, but my retention is not what it use to be. I seem to have forgotten most of what I read ahhh!

jbatchelor 01-07-2013 03:00 AM

Melanie and Michelle--that turkey sounds good-I didn't have a chance to get tired of it since we went to the son's for Christmas--I may look at a turkey breast today--I have to take Mom to the doctor today and me tomorrow so will be gone to days in row!

I lost 3.5 lbs this first week-was hoping for more the first week--like you Michelle but I will take it! I was not starving and not dieting--making it a lifestyle! having my lowcarb ice cream still--and enjoying it--my blood sugars are good this week--back into the 80s--yeah!

I love nuts--I eat too many of them--I am going to have to try and stay away from the salt a little more I think--I feel swollen today.! lots to do the next couple of days so will be here late.

Monica--how you doing getting back into the groove? I bet last week was hard--it was for my hubs--he hated going back to work-this week will be better for him--too many days off and messed up weeks.

have a great day ladies

zipp2play 01-07-2013 07:22 AM

Melanie - :welcome: to our small WONDERFUL group!!!! SOunds like you are all set to make your goals happen! Keep it up girl. My name is Monica, I follow JUDDD and have since 04/18/12. I was down 20 pounds, not sure what damage my 7 day cruise and Christmas did.....I plan to weigh in again next week. I, unlike most, stay away from the scale as much as possible.

Jeanne - you are so welcome for the card. Honestly, Sunday the 30th when we got back, I uploaded pictures. I knew when we came into work on 12/31 Dennis would have time to do some stuff. But he is NOT the berst picking out that kind of stuff. I took 20 minutes and threw it together and had it printed up at Walgreens. They were all done in less than 30 minutes. Dennis picked them up and got the envelopes all ready and out! It was a team effort! ;) Dennis is good like that, as you know! The hardest part was picking out the pictures!

Michelle - 3 pounds gone already, that is GREAT!

So far, I have MONDAY all over me. Last night at 8:00 we realized my car was DEAD! SO by 7:00 a.m. this morning we had a tow truck over to take it to the dealership. I brought Dennis into work then went home and was going to run errands for the office....we are small here and 2 of our dispatchers (one of which is our boss) didn't come in today. Dennis called me frantic at 7:30 and told me to come in STAT.

WELLLLLLL long story short, our boss is in JAIL! I am praying it is a mix up or something. This day has to improve. I had trouble sleeping last night. I woke at 3:00 a.m. and that was before I knew there were MAJOR reasons to LOSE SLEEP!!!!!!!!!! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

It can only go up from here, right ladies???????

zipp2play 01-07-2013 11:37 AM

Monday is getting better...I think! ;)

michelle204 01-07-2013 11:40 AM

WOW Monica! Have you found out anything about your boss yet? You say it's getting better, so I'm anxious to hear!

Happy2be 01-07-2013 10:20 PM

Wow what a crazy day Monica. Glad to hear it was getting better.

Michelle I hear you on the nuts. Dh and I are trying to stay away from them for the first two weeks. It's hard but we r trying. I just told dh tonight I was missing nuts and the snacky ness of them. Lol

zipp2play 01-08-2013 05:25 AM

Boss was arrested and spent Sunday night and all day Monday in jail. It was a domestic disturbance charge. He has an interesting girl friend (putting it mildly) so who knows what happened. It is his first offense so bail was only $500. WE got him out of there around 4:45 yesterday. He is here today. He can't go to his own house because she is there. Until the charges are determined, he is not allowed in his house at all. He is staying with his son that also works here.

Yesterday was a perfect up Day. Under control and considering what all was going on, I call that a HUGE victory! Hoping that today is a great DD! I would use a really good one!

zipp2play 01-08-2013 05:26 AM

Jeanne - how are you girl????

michelle204 01-08-2013 08:38 AM

melanie... I caved in on the nutsn again yesterday. I just couldn't stay away. Other than that I am eating really well.

Monica--- Your life is always so exciting. I hope things work out with your boss. If he is at all abusive though...I have no use for those people.
Sounds like you have your eating plan on track. Way to GO!!!!!

zipp2play 01-08-2013 11:17 AM

Michelle, I do firmly believe that he is not physically abusive at all. His girlfriend has a major drinking problem and (while she was drunk) he basically told her he was cutting her off. She has no job, no money so I think, when she tripped and fell, in her drunken state....she thought. THen I will show you!

I too have NO, ZERO tolerance for abuse. I honestly don't think that is the case at all here.

zipp2play 01-08-2013 11:18 AM

My blood sugar is very unstable today not sure what I did, but I am all shakey and a mess. Calories will be closer to 800c ++ today. I need to get it back in check.