Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #91
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/174.5 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
I think we should share if we try something new or find a new lowcarb item-earlier this week I picked up a couple of small squash at walmart--sweet dumpling and golden nugget-little small squash-I cooked them in the microwave and they were really pretty good--a good substitute while the hubs has a potato--I did put a sprinkle of splenda on them after a hunk of butter--the carbs I found were not bad either--for a cup they were 9 for one and 8 for the other-can't remember which-that is a lot of squash! I saved the seeds and they are drying-I am going to try and plant them this summer and see if I can grow them--it's worth a try? anyway--I keep forgetting to share and you guys may already have tried these--they were just new to me.
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: michelle204
Stats: 262/187/170
WOE: LowCarbing my way
Start Date: July 9, 2007
Thanks for sharing Jeanne. I have never heard of those type of squash. I'll check our markets here.
Tonight for dinner I am having shepperds pie with a celeriac mash topping instead of mashed potatoes. It sounds good in my head.
My rash and swelling is lessening but not gone. I haven't changed any soaps or such. I think, but not sure it is a reaction to a new cold/hot pack thing I bought awhile back. It is filled with some sort of husk. It is called "magic bag". I used it last night as my neck was killing me. I had it on for 30 minutes or so. This morning I wake up to this rash and swelling on my neck that the bag was resting on. I'm guessing it was that.

I need to finish this journey once and for all!
I know somewhere inside of me I have the strength and commitment...I just need to find it.

Michelle
michelle204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:15 PM   #93
Major LCF Poster!

Michelle--I bet you are right about the magic bag! I wonder what is in it? I have never had sheppards pie--or celeriac? what does that taste like? How do you cook it? is the sheppards pie like a pot pie except with mashed potatoes on top? I think I have heard of it at least--I have to cook tomorrow--its a pain trying to come up with ideas everyday-my printer isn't working since my router is out-so I am handicapped looking for recipes--I can't bare to not print! I print out many recipes and then I can't find them-wish I had a could way to keep them.

cya tomorrow ladies
Old 01-19-2013, 05:56 AM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinisme
Stats: 180/170/140
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 12/12/2012
I guess whining burns fat! down 2 whole pounds today! went on two walks yesterday. One pushing the stroller, the other walking next to my 3 yr old daughter, so not exactly getting the heartrate up. hope to finally be below 170 next week. and officially too small for size 14 soon.
\
erinisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:35 AM   #95
Major LCF Poster!

woohoo on the loss Erin--hanging in there is the only way to lose--and walking apparently--you will be in the 160s soon!

my computer is still off and on-unable to get hooked back to my own router-and even the son's is intermittent--the ISP must still be having issues-I thought we were headed to the amish community today to get dog and cat food but not sure-the hubs took my car to get the tires rotated and balanced-last week they were aligned and had struts-that was expensive-It is and old car-2002 but I still need to keep it running well-I have to hang onto it for awhile! the gas mileage in it is horrible though--I will be glad when I can trade and do better in that dept! in a couple of years I hope...

have a great weekend everyone
Old 01-19-2013, 08:22 AM   #96
Major LCF Poster!

Way to go Erin. You hung in and it paid off.

I however did not hang in there and it cost me. I gained 5 lbs.Hopefully seeing 187 on the scale prompts me back o eating better.

Jeanne----Shepperds pie is indeed apot pie with mashed potatoes on top. The one I made was just cooked ground beef on the bottom. Thena layer of cooked green beans. Then a layer of mashed celeriac with cream cheese and parsley. Then a layer of shredded cheese. Put under broiler til gold and bubbly. It was delish!

Celeriac is the root bulb end of a celery plant.It makes a great mashed potatoe substitue or fantastic fries or chips and even a great coleslaw. However it is very hard to find. When I do find it, I stock up and eat it every way I can. It has a very delicate celery taste. Not too strong at all. And replaces potatoes in every way. YUMMO!
Old 01-19-2013, 06:53 PM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the explanation of celeriac Michelle-I will look for it--I wonder if I could grow it? I like rutabagas too-for a potato sub--have you tried those? walmart doesn't have them all the time here either-of course we are mayberry-I am going to look for seeds this year for some of these things!

sorry about the weight gain-I feel for you--and I understand-you know I do--been there and been there and will be there again-just not today--hang in there my friend-you will find the way-we all have to be able finally hit the right place in our minds to keep this going--I think talking about it everyday may help--maybe that is what we need to do to reinforce eating healthy and making it a lifestyle? I mean-that is why we are here anyway--to lift each other up-so we need to increase the encouragement and talk about why falling off hurts us... maybe that will help us--post things that re inforce lowcarb? just a thought? never give up!

Last edited by jbatchelor; 01-19-2013 at 06:55 PM..
Old 01-20-2013, 06:46 AM   #98
Major LCF Poster!

This is what I mean: this is from Robert Lustig book-Fat Chance

eye-opening statistics:

Until 1980, 15% of the adult population had a BMI above the 85th percentile indicating either overweight or obesity. Currently the statistic is 55%, and by 2030, it’s expected to be 65%.
The majority of obese kids will be diabetic and cardiac cripples by the time they are 50.
80% of obese people are suffering metabolically.
According to the USDA the total consumption of protein and fat remained constant as the obesity pandemic accelerated. The intake of carbohydrates increased.
The consumption of fructose has doubled in the last thirty years and increased six times in the last ten.

Just little tidbits of info that will keep us motivated enough to stay on track-when I read stuff like this it helps me and motivates me to stay the healthy road-not sure about the rest of you?
Old 01-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Not weighing or peeing on a stick today. I do both way too much. Kielbasa today. Yum! The temp here is going down to single digits tomorrow. I'll walk and play outside until about the 20s. Yuck!
Old 01-21-2013, 03:30 AM   #100
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning girls--I made a big pot of chili yesterday-our temps are supposed to be in the lows about 2 tomorrow-with wind chills in the neg 12 --thought chili sounded good-however I am sure this will throw me out of ketosis-the beans and all-I am eating one bowl a nite for a few days and will pay the price! I did lose 2 pounds this week-so I am heading in the right direction and staying the course-that is three weeks with a loss now! hoping to keep my mind on the healthy and not the diet focus-I think its working!

I am up and getting ready to take the grands to school again this morning-their dad didn't fare as well Saturday and Sunday-he had more difficulty after his local numbing in his knee wore off--he is really beginning to feel it now! I think he is doing fine however--you know how men are! I keep encouraging him to get up and move more to work out the stiffness! He is supposed to return to work tomorrow--he has a very sedentary job so if he makes it to work he would do fine! we will see!

How is everyone else?
Old 01-21-2013, 05:40 AM   #101
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Jeanne - chili is always good on cold days. Warms from the inside out. Glad to hear your son is continuing to progress. MEN do tend to be big ole babies! I know my SON will be just like that as he gets older.

Erin - that sounds like a good plan. Congrats on the loss. Temps here are dipping low too, I think by the weekend it is supposed to be back in the 50's, so I really don't have a lot of room to complain, it is still January!

Michelle - I have never heard of that root. Glad you founds some and that it works really well for you. SOrry about the weight gain. Believe, I KNOW! Stay on plan and those pesky pounds will be GONE!

Had a good weekend. Haven is still coughing although I think, yesterday finally, she was feeling some relief. Poor girl has been coughing since 01/03! They say this "bug" is just one that tends to linger. SHe really feels good most of the day, it is sleeping that causes her to spiral into a coughing frenzy! We did the volleyball thing on Saturday then yesterday we did SS/church then NOTHING really. Haven and I watched several episodes of Vampire Diaries (it's our thing and we watch it on netflix), watched Rock of Ages Saturday night and last night we watched The Odd Life of Timothy Green. Both movies were really good. I recommend them both. Haven feels like The odd life is her all time favorite children's movie. I wouldn't go that far, but she truly loved it!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...rt-2-a-24.html
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:43 AM   #102

Bunco is tonight and our remodeler was NO WHERE to be found all freaking weekend! Our job is just 80% done. I have gotten over it. THe girls tonight will just have to see the partial mess. I am not sure what his deal is. Supposedly he is sick. If that is the case, he has been "sick" now twice in the 4 weeks he has been working on this AND add in his supposed "fall" he was been down more than working. I hate to have this attitude as he goes to our church, but I think something is fishy here. He had promised everything would be completed by 01/18 and honestly, he hasn't really worked at our house much since last Wednesday! GRRRRRRR Oh well. BUNCO tonight and I am pretty much ready. When I get home tonight I will clean the bathrooms and Dennis will clean up the kitchen floor the best we can (with the construction materials still sitting around).
Old 01-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #103
Major LCF Poster!

Well ladies it is negative 45 today. Even with our thick blood we are complaining. And with the storm this weekend we have snow out our wazoo. We have about 5 feet of snow everywhere. Marcel says there is no where to put anymore snow when he shovels. We still have 4 more months of winter to go. HELP!!!!!!!

Jeanne- I want that chili. Hope your son continues to improve. Men can be a little childish when it comes to things like this. But any surgery doesn't sound good to me.

Monica--- Don't sweat then reno. It will get done and be gorgeous I'm sure. Hope Haven keeps getting better. Enjoy your Bunco tonight.

Erin--- I agree sometimes enough is enough and you just have to move on.

I am back at work today. The swelling and rash went away yesterday. I still think it was that ice pak, but not sure. Get to work today and someone broke a window here throwing a beer bottle at it. So it is extra chilly in here. Marcel is trying to boardm it up but it is so coldhis fingers are frezzing. We are under an advisory not to have any skin exposed for more than 5 minutes or risk frostbite.

I think I'm rambling. I better get back to work. Check in later.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #104
Major LCF Poster!

Wow Michelle--I think with temps like that things would shut down here--and just the shivering would make a person lose some weight? those are crazy temps--I know 5 feet of snow would shut things down here-we are not prepared for things like that! breaking a window would make me go home for sure! I couldn't stand it--do you wear long johns or thermal underwear out in temps like this in case you get stranded? I would hope so? but then again that wouldn't be comfortable in an office? glad the rash is gone..stay warm if you can!
Old 01-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #105

Michelle - be careful both of you. Those temps sound just dangerous. Do you have to drive far to work??? Are the roads even clear enough for that??? I wouldn't use that ice pack again either. NO reason to chance it!

Jeanne - I agree. Heck, we have 24 inches of snow a couple years ago and it shut down the street we live on for 2 solid days.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #106
Major LCF Poster!

2 pics from my office window
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM2074[1].jpg (90.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM2076[1].jpg (25.3 KB, 2 views)
Old 01-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #107
Major LCF Poster!

We live and work in the city so no scary driving. But the bldg. we work in is not insulated so it is quite chilly. And yes I wear thermal underwear all day even inside.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #108
Major LCF Poster!

Gee--it looks like business as usual-it would be deserted down here-we just don't have the equipment to clear snow that fast-good thing you are bundled up warm-makes me cold just thinking about you though! No wonder you want something warm-make some chili and get toasty tonite-I seriously want a real fireplace and wish I could have one-when it gets this cold--I may turn the gas logs on tomorrow nite but the tv watching is impossible for the noise! I hope you survive these temps Michelle--I know you are more prepared but it just seems horrible--how does Sadie handle going outside in temps like this? how is she doing lately-we haven't had a Sadie update lately? thanks for the pics
Old 01-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #109
Senior LCF Member

down .2 today. I'll take it. It's in the 20s here with flurries and terrible wind. low of 7 tonite. yuck. needless to say, did not take a walk. need to start doing videos but my house is small and everyone was off today. (husband, son and daughter) actually, should do some now in my room! Netflix has the Muppet Movie finally so I turned it on for the kiddos.. This is a BIG deal because I don't let them watch TV this early and this long. usually 1/2 hour i morning and 1/2 hour at night. was having terrible cravings about an hour ago. just wanted to strap on a feed bag. Looked up "fat bombs" and made my own, don't have any coconut oil, version. chocolate and pb. going to get some better all natural peanut butter, mine has some sugar in it. but I was careful. Made a turkey breast for dinner :P. should have slathered it in butter. I think I'm gonna make it to bedtime now. whew.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:03 AM   #110
Major LCF Poster!

Erin I love fat bombs-I need to make some more--they really are so much better than buying those Russel Stover chocolates for my chocolate fix--I was buying way too many of those and they have so much sugar alcohols! may make some today!

I try going to bed early too when I know I am going to eat something wrong! wtg!

Cold here this morning 4 degrees--could be worse-right Michelle--wind chill in the negative and some schools delayed for that reason! see even that delays us!

Monica-how was Bunco? I could never make it through all those treats--I am still thinking about them-I am so weak -I have to stay away from things I know will call my name!

I need to bake today-not sure what--we are still eating chili-need to go to amish country tonite or this week one evening for sure-we buy our cat and dog food there--going to try and find a grain free food for Dolly-I think she is getting too heavy-I want her on a lowcarb diet-and I hope to break the hubs of feeding her --he feeds her a bite of everything he eats! makes me furious but he does it anyway! no wonder she is fat! I am hoping to help her with a change in kibble anyway..
Old 01-22-2013, 09:08 AM   #111
Senior LCF Member

Down a bit this am! I'm going to choose the lower of the 2 weights and say I am almost out of 170. Probably both 5 lbs before my pants start to fit again. I quit wearing some pants last year and didn't try them on again til I had lost a few lbs. so they were still tight. Bought coconut butter this am and all natural PB. Made some more fat bomb. Coconut adds nice little bit. Wow you can't eat a ton of those!
It's about 8 degrees here, kid had delayed school. Which makes for a PITA for me re: driving kids to school. Wonder if lovely neighbor would let me use her treadmill?
Old 01-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #112
Major LCF Poster!

Down is down erin wtg! You are doing great!

Jeanne---what did you end up baking? I have been looking at all kinds of low carb sites for a new bday cake idea. do you have a good one? I'm looking for induction friendly and easy. It's my bday tomorrow and I want CAKE. But I don't want to blow it.

Dolly is lucky to have such a caring mom. She doesn't look overweight in her pictures, but it's never good on their joints if they are even a little over weight. You were asking about Sadie...well she does not like this cold snap and is having way more accidents in the house, but we can't blame her. We don't want to go out either. The cold seems to cause confusion in her and she loses her way and gets scared and collapses. So we aren't putting her out much. My poor baby!

Time to watch hockey. Talk to you all tomorrow. Let's keep up the good work.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #113
Major LCF Poster!

Michelle!! I know you said it was the 23rd so I am here a little early!! did you find a cake to bake? I didn't get anything baked today-got busy with other things and never made it-maybe tomorrow--I have heard the chicken lady's carrot cake is good and I keep thinking I should try it next-I have carrots! and I love anything with cream cheese icing sooo that would be a good fit!

Poor Sadie-don't you hate it when they get old and feeble? breaks your heart.. Dolly has the pug body--wide and broad across the back-and she is getting wider all the time!! I don't want her to get any heavier and she needs more exercise too. I need to walk and take her with me--I have good intentions! but that doesn't seem to get it done.. we still haven't made it up into amish country-I think Bill wants to go Thursday--I know why--that is senior nite at the amish buffet-we drive right past it going to get the dog and cat food--he isn't fooling me!

Monica--did I miss you checking in today? hope everything is ok??

Erin--all ounces make up pounds--small steps equal miles--keep it going and you will see the rewards.. WTG!!!

Time for me and Dolly to head towards bed--cya all tomorrow

Last edited by jbatchelor; 01-22-2013 at 08:01 PM..
Old 01-23-2013, 06:20 AM   #114
Major LCF Poster!

MICHELLE!!! Hope your day is as wonderful as YOU!!!! How many years young are you? I know I am the oldster here but your avatar looks young!! hope you plan something super on your day!!!

What kind of cake did you decide to do? I hope you share the recipe--you always make something delish!

Here is something I read last nite on Jimmy's site--there is a doc-I forget his name-that has a test about gluten -he believes that if your pinkie finger is shorter than the last joint on the next finger(the fourth finger) that shows you are gluten intolerant! my pinkie finger is longer-Jimmy says his is shorter-well-I just checked my left hand-my pinkie finger on my left hand just comes TO the joint on the left hand-weird that my hands would be so different-it is a lot longer on the right hand! I keep thinking about trying gluten free to see if I could lose more weight but in actuality-I don't eat a whole lot of gluten now! but probably more than I realize!
Old 01-23-2013, 06:33 AM   #115

Was majorly busy with work yesterday. I worked a total of 12 hours. Haven came in to work with me. Poor girls nose was running nonstop! I think she if sinally starting to feel better!!!!!!! once I left the office, I went home and worked there till 8:30! It will make today go much more smoothly!

Eirn - way to go girl! Your numbers are going down nicely! I walk outside most days. This morning it was 9*. I bundled up and thankfully there was no wind. I actually got warm under all my layers!

Michelle - Happy birthday girl! I hope you do something FUN and ALL FOR YOU TODAY!!!! You deserve it. Bundle up and stay warm too! I love the snow, just looking at your pictures makes me smile!

Jeanne - BUNCO was great. I won 1st price (not most buncos but most point) so I won $8. Since I bought the prizes, I gave the prize (popcorn tub with microwave popcorn and candy in it) to one of the girls that didn't win! Everyone enjoyed all my GF stuff. I skipped dinner and just ate while playing! It was really fun, I love my BUNCO group.

Remodel is STILL NOT DONE! Supposedly the guy is sick, AGAIN! I think he is a typical MAN / BABY , if he doesn't feel 100%, he doesn't push himself to DO ANYTHING! Hopefully it is done by Friday night. My parents are coming for the weekend. They want to watch Haven play Volleyball, watch Tristan with his Archery and Mom wanted to attend my 31 party! I love all that stuff. I am sure we will play games and such inbetween it all!!!! Bring on the weekend!!!!
Old 01-23-2013, 06:34 AM   #116

Jeanne - both my pinkies are just a shade shorter than my knuckle! Interesting!!!!!!!!! Not sure the correlation, but interesting. One is right close, the other is a shade under.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:09 AM   #117
Senior LCF Member

Happy birthday!
Hope you find a good cake recipe. Maybe a cheese cake with berries? Or you could cook down some berries with sweetner for a kind of " syrup" or with a fat bomb topping! Chocolate coconut cheesecake!
Didn't weigh in this morning. Had cocktails with a friend last night so I figured I didn't loose(was carb free but still) had ham last night. So yummy. There was a zero at the end of my weight yesterday so hopeful for weeks end.
Stay warm, I think we are all getting hit with a cold snap. How many calories does keeping warm take?
Old 01-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #118
Major LCF Poster!

thanks everyone for the birthday wishes. I am 48 years young today. No I did not find anything to bake myself. Maybe later today I'll get in the mood. No special plans here. Can't afford anything right now.

Monica--- glad you enjoyed your bunco sounds like it was alot of fun.
Jeanne--- I know what that buffet does to you. I hope if you end up there you can make some healthy decisions.
Erin---If keeping warm burnt calories, I'd be skinny. For the 6 th day in a row it is negative 43. We may warm up to neg. 30 tomorrow! That will seem warm as funny as that sounds.

Back to work for me. Later ladies.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #119

Michelle-BALMY in your area tomorrow Then!!!!!!!!
Old 01-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #120

Hope you enjoy your birthday!!!!!

Erin - cocktails on a Tuesday. LOVE THAT!!!!!

Jeanne - how's the son???