Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #391
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/231/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranquie View Post
Another long day (and weekend) at the hospital with the BF's mom who is now totally delusional from dehydration (and not eating). The docs are rehydrating her but we are getting phone calls from the hospital at midnight and 4:30am because she is combative and freaking out and pulling the feeding tube and IV out. She is totally whacked out saying stuff like "the cat is in the banana boat" and thinks it is 1949. This is the kind of stress that makes me want to binge. Sipping diet coke has been a lifesaver and I have avoided the vending machines. I am aware of my binge tendencies and triggers so I am working hard at keeping them in check and facing the stress and emotions head on. Thanks for letting me vent!

KT- Glad the hack is working so well for you and that you can actually see a difference.

Amber- Loved the info on food combinations,,,makes so much sense.

Welcome Kemp!

Janice- Clean eating will definitely get you back in the right frame of mind and will get your motivation back.

Jayce- Wow I had no idea it snowed in VA last week. Hope the meals get easier this week.

Krystin- Sledding with the kiddos sounds like so much fun! Your kids will remember you doing this with them.

Jes- When struggling this is the time you need to come in and post more often. I know how hard it is when this happens to me I feel ashamed and like to hide away. The great thing is that everyone here understands your issues and there is no recrimination when you are struggling. I understand the binge monster as I have one lurking in the shadows in me just clawing to get out at times when I am weak. Hang in there and let us know how you are doing.
Frankie - this happened to my husband. They gave him a drug that dehydrated him and caused his kidneys to start failing, not realizing how bad off his kidneys and liver were, and it caused encephalopathy. It was scary how disoriented and combative he was, then he fell into a coma. He came out of it when they did a blood draw and found his ammonia level was too high. I would check to see if they have done an ammonia level for encephalopathy. It is cured with antibiotics (to kill the bacteria that gives off ammonia that his system that his body could not eliminate) and lactulose (to make them blow the ammonia out of their system).

It took them a while to figure it out because he was in the cardiac ward and they don't do blood draws to check for ammonia. The liver doctors would have figured it out right away.

Hang in there; I know how hard it is to watch this.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #392
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chelseybelle27
Stats: 295.0/283.2/195.0
WOE: Extended Induction
Start Date: 1/4/2014
Frankie- I would like to add my condolences for your BF's mom. I would also add to what Key Tones said and ask them if they have done a urinalysis for possibilities of a UTI, a complete blood count for electrolyte imbalances or even pain medicine (morphine is usually the culprit!). Many things can cause the elderly to have severe confusion and become combative. Best of luck with the whole situation!
chelseybelle27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #393
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kempmuhlbauer
Stats: 274/274/190
WOE: Normal old atkins
Start Date: 10/21/13
Thanks for all the welcome words. Sounds cold up north with ice and snow, I hate that for you guys. It is a balmy 78 here in Houston.

Well day one is almost in the books, I got my pantry done up with solid snacks and no carb food. Starting all the way back at my biggest ever weight of 274. Well maybe it will come off just as fast as it went back on. Looking forward to melting the pounds away. Not looking forward to withdrawals or the induction flu. But I am only 5 days away from tons of energy and feeling great!!!!(well maybe 8 days this time)

It is nice to see some old friends on here and look forward to catching up on all the post. Everyone have a great evening!!!

"STAY HEALTHY MY FRIENDS"

GOALS:
1. Keep on plan
2. Stay on plan
3. Work out
4. Run a 1/2 marathon on Jan. 19th!!!
kempmuhlbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #394
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Kemp- indeed you are welcome to join us, I will add you to the chart we weigh in on Fridays!!

KT- I know you had a rough weekend, I was thinking of you! Glad you like the potato hack, LOL

So happy to see my hubby last night, I really missed him!!!! House stress now a house we really loved is back on the market, another short sale so we are going to look at it tomorrow night, if we bail on the other we are out about a grand but this house is so much nicer and needs no work, just paint, and it is 500 sq feet bigger so more room for all my stuff, LOL It backs up to a preserve, so its like your own private area of grass, so we will have to start the wait all over but I think it would be worth it!
Old 01-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #395

Here is the thread to post your weights

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...JY2lTNmc#gid=0

Portia- when you struggle is when you need us! We will try to help you!
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #396
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
KT and Chelsey- Thank you for the advice and concern about my BF's mom. The docs know the dementia is caused from dehydration and dangerously high sodium levels. She pretty much stopped eating a month ago and has gone downhill rapidly. They said that it will take a while to stabilize her as they have to do it very slow because she is elderly. Hopefully she'll come out of it in a day or two more.
Phranquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #397

Gallery: kittycitygirl
Stats: High:215; current 168
WOE: Low Carb: my way;)
Start Date: April 3, 2010
Prayers for her Frankie
kittycitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #398

Gallery: kittycitygirl
Stats: High:215; current 168
WOE: Low Carb: my way;)
Start Date: April 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejewelme View Post
Here is the thread to post your weights

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...JY2lTNmc#gid=0

Portia- when you struggle is when you need us! We will try to help you!
I'm not seeing a new column for weighin?
kittycitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #399
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Amber. It has been hard. I thought I was ready, but it was hard. Then my daughter calls tonight, upset, and it put me in tears. I usually cope well, but I guess I just am not myself.

My daughter flunked her biology exam. She has never bombed an exam before. She has been a good student; she entered college as a junior because she took college classes in high school. I don't know if the professor will cut her a break. I'll find out what she can do. I've asked a college counselor on another forum for help with what she can do. She is the one that helped us with Caitlin's college ap while her dad was in the hospital. I would think they could at least let her drop the class. She had the worst flu she ever had and was so sick and the grief hit her while she was down. THen she had to take the biology exam, and she wasn't ready.

I told her I love her and it is OK and will be OK. We'll figure out what to do. I wonder if it was the right decision for her to go there. She wants to be a scientist, and she is in these classes with all these competitive pre-med students. It is hard to get into UW and it is a tough program. Poor thing. I feel so bad for her.

EDIT - I just posted this problem in the playground with what to do/what to say to my daughter. Oh my gosh, two nice replies already. This forum is so great.

Last edited by Key Tones; 01-28-2013 at 09:44 PM..
Old 01-28-2013, 09:13 PM   #400
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cindym
Stats: 350(Dr.'s office)/322/200
Start Date: Off and on since 26Feb01
Thinking of everyone ~ not my best day. Didn't eat anything off plan, just way to much of everything

Kemp
cindym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:25 PM   #401
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beebug123
Stats: 250.5/205/175
Start Date: July 13, 2011
Oh goodness Frankie, hope she makes a recovery

This weekend flew by. Strange we weren't busy but dh and I have been disagreeing about car issues and the my odd started selling gs cookies. She made me walk around 3 or 4 hours with her in the cold rain. Got plenty of exercise though! Today my dh got my muffler fixed and after work put in new rear brakes and rotors but he is going to switch cars with me for awhile. I was having panic attacks every time I drove anywhere in it because the front suspension is having some trouble and has "death wobble" so he is going to drive it some and see if he can isolate where the problem is and stop the wobble. He hasn't ever had it wobble on him before and it's happened to me 3 times and I've been in 2 roll-over crashes so I think I am going back to that. The wobble shouldn't happen at freeway speed but I just couldn't get in it anymore. If you are interested, YouTube "Jeep Death Wobble" and you will see what it is. I had never heard of it before and dh just keep telling me I was causing it because I was aiming for potholes and wouldn't listen to me when I explained it was from the smallest cracks in the road.....ahhh...so finally I searched around on the Internet and found out what it was and that it was common for jeeps and he finally understood.
Goal #1 225lbs "first 25" *reached 9/21/11*
Goal #2 214lbs "overweight bmi" *reached 11/12/11*
Goal #3 199.5lbs "onderland" *reached 2/1/12*
Goal #4 178lbs "normal bmi"
Beebug123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:35 PM   #402
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranquie View Post
KT and Chelsey- Thank you for the advice and concern about my BF's mom. The docs know the dementia is caused from dehydration and dangerously high sodium levels. She pretty much stopped eating a month ago and has gone downhill rapidly. They said that it will take a while to stabilize her as they have to do it very slow because she is elderly. Hopefully she'll come out of it in a day or two more.
Oh, I am so sorry. I'll be thinking of you. I hope she pulls out soon.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:38 AM   #403

Frankie- thinking of you and your family it is a horrible thing to watch someone deteriorate!

KT- I feel for your daughter, she had a rough year too, and now away at college in a tough program I am sure she feels overwhelmed, all you can do is love and support her and keep encouraging her. I have an over achiever son, and I worry about the pressure on him as well it is so hard we want them to be successful but they still get overwhelemd with trying to succeed, hugs to you both!!!!
Old 01-29-2013, 05:54 AM   #404
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
Start Date: January 19, 2011
I think I have seen a cheddar biscuit recipe around here - hopefully someone will have it handy.
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:34 AM   #405
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mama_2_3
Merinda- Yikes! Hope you can get it fixed ASAP.

KT- For you and DD. It sounds like she has a lot of determination and is dedicated - hope this is just a small setbck and everything works out soon.
mama_2_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:52 AM   #406
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ceecee08
Stats: 292.6/284.7/170 5'9
Start Date: Restart 1/4/2013
KT - Hopefully your DD figures it out. My freshman year of college I bombed a class as well. (I was initially a computer science major) and I went home for Christmas break ready to quit. I just remeber my mom and dad being very encouraging and telling me I am not a quitter and I have never been one. Maybe push her to retake the class. Most schools let you retake classes and replace the lowest grade. I did that and did WAY better the second time around.

Frankie- still praying for your MIL and your BF.

Jes- Yes come in and post. It helps to keep me accountable as well. We all fall down but getting back up and back on track is the hard part but you can do it.

My Journal

Goals
1-Mar Down 20 lbs
20-Mar Down 30lbs -NYC TRIP
3-Apr Down 40lbs!!!
17-Apr Down 50lbs!
ceecee08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:07 AM   #407
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: 2f2f
Stats: 256.5/235.5/170
Start Date: 01/02/2013
Happy Tuesday everyone! Hope you enjoy your day!
2f2f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:33 AM   #408
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: freeman525
Stats: (241)201.8/197.5/141
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart 12/30/13
KT: DD's college advisor and her biology professor should be useful in helping her decide whether to drop the class. Good Luck to her!

Janice
freeman525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:34 AM   #409
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sara7272
Stats: 269/242/160 5'4"-31yo
WOE: Low carb my own way, started at 280 in 9/2010
Start Date: Starting over.... 1/6/14
Hey all, I'm here, tail between my legs!! I don't know why I can't get my @#$% together and stay on plan!!!!!! I was really sick from Thurs-yesterday and eating like craaaaaaaaap. Like, bad. I know that's not an excuse because I saw all you guys get sick and stay the course! I've got to shake off this slump or whatever I am in and get with the program. And STAY there!

That being said, I didn't weigh myself last Friday but will face the music this Friday and keep trudging forward. I've just got to regroup and get my head back in the game.

Thanks for listening to me whine. I'm so glad to see all of you still doing great!!!!

Goal #1- 230- Back to pre-preg weight
Goal #2- 199- Back to Onederland
Final Goal- 160- For now, then reassess

New LCF Journal- TBA!
My neglected blog- BaconBeatsBread.com
Sara7272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:42 AM   #410
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Amber and ladies - thank you all for your kind replies! I sent her your kind thoughts because she needs words of encouragement. And so do I.

Amber - yes, there is so much pressure on these kids, poor things. I think it was easier when I was a kid. It is so competitive now; more kids go to college and it is harder and ore expensive to get in.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:57 PM   #411
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: freeman525
Stats: (241)201.8/197.5/141
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart 12/30/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara7272 View Post
Hey all, I'm here, tail between my legs!! I don't know why I can't get my @#$% together and stay on plan!!!!!! I was really sick from Thurs-yesterday and eating like craaaaaaaaap. Like, bad. I know that's not an excuse because I saw all you guys get sick and stay the course! I've got to shake off this slump or whatever I am in and get with the program. And STAY there!

That being said, I didn't weigh myself last Friday but will face the music this Friday and keep trudging forward. I've just got to regroup and get my head back in the game.

Thanks for listening to me whine. I'm so glad to see all of you still doing great!!!!
You stole MY story! I've been sick but you are right. It's no excuse. We have to forgive ourselves and carry on.

Janice
freeman525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #412
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
Thank you all for your support and concern about my BF's mom and for letting me vent. She appears to be doing better today and is not as agitated and is more alert. She was so bad last night and out of her mind it took two of us to restrain her and we had to consent to using arm restraints as she has pulled out two feeding tubes and she scratched me pretty good during one of her episodes. For only weighing 75lbs she can pack a whallop.

All in all I am doing better than I would have expected considering the stress and long hours. I did sleep in late this morning so I feel much better. I am really feeling good about not binging or eating off plan.

KT- I feel for your daughter. I was a really good student in high school and the change to college the first semester was an eye opener. I would think she could meet with the professor and find some solution with him I think that if he gets to know her he'll be on her side. It is really hard for such a good student to not excel at something for the first time.

Merinda- Holy cow I hope your hubby gets that jeep fixed before you have to drive it again! I bet if it does it to him he'll have it fixed that day.

Sara- Get back in here and post every day. I know if I post I feel better and it helps me stay on plan better. You can get back on plan today!

Cindy- I hope your day gets better and less sucky!

Janet- I think there are some good recipes in the recipe room and in the recipe help thread. I do love a good biscuit. There is a Cheddar Biscuit recipe in this bread & biscuit thread: Kevin's Bread, Biscuit, Bun & Roll Recipes
Old 01-29-2013, 02:48 PM   #413
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejewelme View Post
Here was the next article
One of the fastest ways to completely trash your health
and sabotage fat-loss is to eat excessive amounts of
fructose.

The problem is that most people confuse glucose, found in
healthy-starchy carbs, with the various forms of fructose --
which is a cheap sweetener usually derived from corn.

In fact, excessive consumption of fructose can produce new
fat-cells around the heart, liver, and other digestive organs.

Additionally, certain types of fructose can negatively impact
your...

- Blood sugar
- Energy levels
- Cellular health and...
- Joint health

All of this can potentially lead to insulin resistance, elevated
levels of bad triglycerides, bad cholesterol, and even cardio-
vascular disease.

And here's the real SCARY part.

Fructose is a cheap sweetener, so it's "hidden" in almost every
type of over-the-counter, processed healthy food.

Just go to the health food aisle at your local grocery store and
look at a few labels. You'll see it EVERYWHERE.

It's found in almost all over-the-counter protein powders, health
food bars, and it's even a staple in whole wheat breads.

But glucose, on the other hand, simply doesn't produce
these negative metabolic side-effects.

When you consume processed fructose, it goes directly to your
liver and gets converted to fat...but every cell in your body, even
your brain, utilizes glucose.

So 95% of the time your body burns up glucose immediately
after you consume it. On average, only 1 out of every 120
calories from glucose gets stored as fat.

Glucose also has been shown to suppress your hunger hormone
ghrelin and helps stimulate leptin...so it can help you control your
appetite and cravings better.

Fructose has no effect on ghrelin and interferes with your brain's
communication with leptin. This can lead to unhealthy food binges.

Bottom line: Your body was designed to run on glucose.

Take Home Lesson

Get your fructose from fruits and veggies.

This will keep your total daily intake of fructose somewhere
around 10 to 15 grams per day VS. the average fake food or
energy drink...which can sometimes be as high as 50 to 75
grams. Yikes.

And make sure that you read your food labels and watch for
cheap forms of corn syrup, fructose, and HFCS.

My wife and I try to consume the majority of our glucose (from
healthy tubers like potatoes, yams, and squash) AND fructose
(from fruits) in our post-workout window.

This is how you can give your body the fuel it needs to rev up
your metabolic rate and naturally manipulate hormones...

WITHOUT worrying about fat "spillover".

So if anybody tries to tell you that a calorie is a calorie...don't
fall for it.

Your "choices" make ALL the difference.

Busy day today I am actually eating more and not gaining, so that is a plus, I think when I low carb my calories are around 1100-1300 and that is too low and I feel better, one thing I have been working out on average 5 times a week for going on almost 2 years now, so as my doctor has said I am not the same as I was at 350 pounds sitting on the couch wondering how I am going to get up the stairs, so what worked then isnt working now, so to just keep fine tuning, all in all I am learning to accept if I can stay in this range and be active I can live with it!

This was a busy freezing day I am mentally done, Tony got to Vegas and called me it was 61, it was 16 here, LOL He said AZ is 73 so he is driving straight there, ughggh!!!!
Thanks. This sounds some what like a book I am reading now called Perfect Health Diet. There is a thread started by one of the JUDDDers. All quite interesting. I've added sweet potatoes back and giving hubby some rice as they are considered "safe" starches. Protein requirements are smaller and good fats, ie. coconut oil, butter, tree nut butters, sour cream etc are allowed.
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:38 AM   #414

Sara-just get your booty back here, and post away you know that works!!!!

Loved the new house we looked at, so we put an offer in another short sale so we have to start over with the waiting but I LOVE this house! I have that feeling of love like I didnt have with the other, so I am hoping!!!!!

I was with the trainer this morning, I was running intervals on the treadmill, then I had to run a set on the steps, OMG I felt like a buffalo, but I was proud of my running, after not running for so long it is coming back so I think she is really going to help me!! I really like her!! Now if only that dang scale would move!
Old 01-30-2013, 05:30 AM   #415
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good luck with the new house and running stairs???? WOW!
Old 01-30-2013, 05:34 AM   #416
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kempmuhlbauer
Stats: 274/274/190
WOE: Normal old atkins
Start Date: 10/21/13
Wow you ladies are chatty. I love it, keeps me reading your post instead of thinking about all the food I am missing. I truly believe that daily posting and keeping up with everybody really helps a lot with losing the weight. "Stay Healthy My Friends"
kempmuhlbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:43 AM   #417
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Kemp- Yea we are a chatty bunch. LOL

Amber- That is great. I am saying a prayer for an accepted offer.

Frankie- Glad MIL is doing better. I need to check out those biscuit recipes.

Sara- You gone learn today *in my Kevin Hart voice* But you know we are behind you. Keep on posting. Hoping you are feeling better.

Monica- Happy Wednesday!!!

Janice- You can do it. I believe in you.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:46 AM   #418
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ceecee - love that Kevin Hart line!
Old 01-30-2013, 05:54 AM   #419
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetsbreeze View Post
Ceecee - love that Kevin Hart line!
Me too Janet!! I love him. A few friends and I went and saw his comedy show. I was in tears laughing. So funny.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:55 AM   #420
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Alright, Alright, Alright, ALRIGHT!

I can imagine that his show was amazing!