Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Challenges! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-challenges/)
-   -   Boot Camp Charlie 2013 - For Men (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-challenges/792508-boot-camp-charlie-2013-men.html)

shiNer45 01-01-2013 05:21 AM

Boot Camp Charlie 2013 - For Men

Welcome to Boot Camp Charlie 2013.

This is THE place for men and men only.

All men are welcome to join, but be prepared to exercise, eat right, and take some heat for slacking off. There is lots of experience and encouragement shared here, so if your ready to get healthy, and not afraid to work for it, this is the place for you.

There are a few rules to follow.

1. Weigh in every Monday. Report your previous weeks weight and your current weeks weight.

2. On the 1st of each month report current weight, last months weight, losses / gains.

3. No Emoticons. Nothing will get you latrine duty faster than a smiley.

4. There are many eating and exercising plans being followed here, share what works, what doesn't, but check in often. We work better as a group, it helps keep us accountable.

This group was founded by our man Mack, we are thankful to him for bringing us together.

shiNer45 01-01-2013 05:26 AM

Jan 2012 - 174.2
Jan 2013 - 173.6

Pretty much where I always am this time of year, I was 2 lbs lower yesterday so Im not quite sure whats going on.

Good news is I have 3 or 4 days in a row of the 30 day Shred exercise program under my belt. It isnt intensive cardio, but I feel like it is working. I sweat like crazy when I am done, and at 27 mins long I have time for it everyday!

Hope you all get back here and post, this group has been dwindling the last few months.

huff576 01-01-2013 08:45 AM

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Thanks for a timely thread post Shiner!

Last Year's Stuff:
All time high = 275
Low (summer 2009) = 200
Last January 1 = 235
January 1 2012 = 226.4
Net 2011 Loss = 8.6 lbs

This Year's Stuff:
All time high = 275
Low (summer 2009) = 200
Last January 1 = 226
January 1 2013 = 238
Net 2012 Gain = 12 lbs

I have some work to do. I have tried getting back on induction - but I think it is a mind game at this point. I can't seem to last 24 hours. With a new year comes new resolutions. I resolve to stick to a plan. Good luck to all the boot campers.

Lincoln Hawk 01-01-2013 11:05 AM

Going to get serious........tomorrow. Today is already a loss. Scared to step on a scale. I'm still in a better place than last year this time, but the last few weeks has been pretty bad. I'm starting to have to tug on my t-shirts when they come out of the wash to get them pre-loosened up a bit.

huff576 01-01-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oobatooba (Post 16164101)
I'm starting to have to tug on my t-shirts when they come out of the wash to get them pre-loosened up a bit.

Same here.

Not quite so Big D 01-02-2013 07:01 AM

1/1/13 - 238.2

Happy New Year, BCC!

I finished 2012 on a raging binge and have shot up to a multiple year high. One day on plan so far and one day of exercise in the books.

Huff, we are at the same dismal level, so I'm throwing a challenge at you! We've both been pretty big failures so far, so I'm proposing something pretty attainable. Post every day, 2 weeks on plan (Atkins induction for me), and exercise at least 10 days out of the next 14. Are you in? BTW - anyone welcome to join in.

Shiner, thanks for keeping this thing going. Hopefully a few more of the old regulars and a newcomer or two will join in.

Ooba - try doing that stretch with a suit. Nothing I own will button without looking ridiculous.

ChasingBulk 01-02-2013 07:53 AM

1/1/13 - 218

I had a host of blood tests run in December. My fasting blood sugar is 119, and my cholesterol is through the roof. I took a glucose tolerance test also in December, and my blood sugar was in the 200's one hour after drinking a sugary drink.

I started my low carb journey back yesterday with the entire family. After eating breakfast, my blood sugar was 110. After playing basketball with my son, it was 97.

At least at this point in my life, a low carb diet is the only option for me.

The entire family is following the Primal Blueprint for at least the first 6 months of the year, which is an awesome blessing for me, because there aren't any bad food options in the house.

We're taking monthly progress pictures and weigh ins.

Big D,

Dallas is still on our option of relocation places - including Plano, McKinney, Murphy, Allen, ....

Our plans are to take at least a weekend in Dallas to evaluate the area this coming Mardis Gras. Austin is our other relocation choice.

We didn't get any offers on our house last year, so we just pumped $25,000 into our house with a new kitchen renovation and other upgrades. I don't want to leave anything
to chance, if I can help it. The area we live in absolutely sucks - the local chemical plants burn chemicals off continually - so much that you can actually taste it. One local plant just got fined for 10 years of releasing carcinogens into the air.

I hope everyone in the group is doing well. I have faith in the low carb approach, for health, most importantly, but also for aesthetics.

The lifestyle works - if we just didn't have to stick to it, we'd all be rail thin.

Lincoln Hawk 01-02-2013 08:30 AM

I'm up for BigD's 2 week challenge. Woke up this morning feeling like pooh, so I'm really ready to get things going.

Good to see Huff and Bulk back at camp.

huff576 01-02-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Not quite so Big D (Post 16165563)
Huff, we are at the same dismal level, so I'm throwing a challenge at you! We've both been pretty big failures so far, so I'm proposing something pretty attainable. Post every day, 2 weeks on plan (Atkins induction for me), and exercise at least 10 days out of the next 14. Are you in? BTW - anyone welcome to join in.

I am in. I do have a caveat though - I will be in Oahu for five days for a wedding and I know I will be mostly off plan sampling whatever the local restaurants have to offer. I will however get some exercise. So yes, but with a planned retreat! I'll start today and post tonight.

huff576 01-02-2013 04:04 PM

3 mile walk on the treadmill done.

huff576 01-02-2013 05:00 PM

I believe I am done eating for the day. We had free sandwiches at work, so the carbs were higher than induction - but it they were lower than my "average" day.

Cal: 1462
Carbs: 95

I was just cruising the October 2012 thread I abandoned. Kudos to Big D, Oobs, Shiner for keeping BCC from going extinct. I am going to get on often - win or lose - and muse away. I remember when 10 pages per month was not uncommon. What happened to Doug?

Lincoln Hawk 01-02-2013 05:17 PM

I've been doing a little 25 minute cardio workout just about every morning, so I got that in today, but plan on adding some more walking and cycling in when the weather cooperates. Also went grocery shopping this afternoon and got a bunch of healthy eats.

huff- As of Doug's last check in he was still doing well. He hasn't posted as much lately. He definitely had the best journey of 2012.

Not quite so Big D 01-03-2013 06:36 AM

Two days in on plan and with exercise. I did 2.8 miles on the treadmill last night (2 jogging, .8 walking). I'm going to try to increase a little every day until I'm back up to 3 miles jogging.

I had a tough time getting up this morning. No caffeine is really a drag. I almost feel hungover, despite no alcohol since New Year's Eve. I need to make sure I get lots of water today.

Bulk - good to hear from you. Hopefully you'll get some bites on your house so you can relocate. I hope you check in often and keep us informed.

Huff - Doug slowed on his posting the last half of the year, but still checked in and was doing well. In his last post, he had gone off plan (for the first time in more than a year!) for a couple of days while on vacation in Israel (I think). He's definitely been the example for BCC the last couple of years.

Lincoln Hawk 01-03-2013 08:11 AM

Got my cardio workout in this morning. Eats are go so far.

huff576 01-03-2013 04:11 PM

Done eating for the night

1274 Calories
27 Carbs

Now, to exercise. Feeling a little on the sleepy side. I know once I get going I will be fine though. Will report mileage later.

We should consider creating a Wall of Fame Post for Doug summarizing his acheivement. The discipline was VERY impressive.

huff576 01-04-2013 05:09 AM

No exercise last night - decided to work on a few things that needed to be done and time ran out. Going to get that walk in tonight though. Also, I forgot on thing I ate. Here is my updated stuff:

1474 Calories
27 Carbs

Not quite so Big D 01-04-2013 09:37 AM

3 days down. Good eats and exercise.

shiNer45 01-04-2013 05:49 PM

hey guys,

one week down and onto the second of the 30 day Shred program.

thinking of moving to level 2 maybe tomorrow, a few days early but hey.

eats are not the greatest as of late, food isnt terrible but portions could be a lot less, going to work on this the next few days.

good to see some posts,

shiNer45 01-04-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huff576 (Post 16169478)

We should consider creating a Wall of Fame Post for Doug summarizing his acheivement. The discipline was VERY impressive.

I agree, Doug was a machine!

huff576 01-04-2013 06:53 PM

Evening crew!

Eats: bad - end of the week, let down. However, I feel things are improving in terms motivation and focus. I ate way less today than what I did just a few weeks ago:

1960 Calories
205 Carbs (they add up so quick!)

Bright note though - since I do not work tomorrow and have little to prepare for, I made up the miles I missed last night. 5 miles on the treadmill. I got this great little gadget that holds an iPad on a tripod. It made treadmill walking quite entertaining. Caught up on a few TV episodes off Netflix. Instead of lounging around and hitting the fridge/pantry, I burned some carbage away from the day.

Tight-nit bunch here. Glad you guys stuck around. Sorry I abandoned. As each of our intros say, when things are bad posts disappear. Spot on.

Lincoln Hawk 01-04-2013 07:38 PM

bad day here. restarting in the morning. sorry. i am weak.

shiNer45 01-05-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oobatooba (Post 16172371)
bad day here. restarting in the morning. sorry. i am weak.

Dont get down on yourself dude, we all get in that place. I am not far from there either.

Only thing I am happy about is I have kept up the exercise. Started level 2 today of 30 day shred, I would recommend this program as it is not too high level impact and lasts only 27 mins each routine. I can make time for this every day.

Takes a lot to get in the low carb zone for me, and right now my brain is fighting with me every step of the way.

huff576 01-05-2013 08:11 PM

Bad day of eats, but not the end of the world. I was just hungry today and went back to the quickest foods which are the carb loaded foods. I did get 1.5 miles on the treadmill - I was hoping to get more but it did not work out.

Calories: 2262
Carbs: 224

Yikes! I am going to start again tomorrow too. Good job on the exercise Shiner

huff576 01-05-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiNer45 (Post 16173716)
Takes a lot to get in the low carb zone for me, and right now my brain is fighting with me every step of the way.

Same here. it is funny how things clicked so well a few times in the past. I could have done induction for months! Now, how to get back? I am going to do what Chasing did. I am going to find some awesome Atkins foods and pack the home with them. I always ending up eating junk I bought for the kids. It does them no good and usually crashes me.

huff576 01-06-2013 06:59 PM

Reporting a good day all around:

848 Calories
9 Carbs
3.2 miles walked on treadmill

Must be getting sick! I wasn't really too hungry and was motivated to get a lot done. Worked on stuff instead of eating. I wish everyday was that easy.

Keep fighting.

huff576 01-07-2013 04:07 AM

Monday January 7 Weight

Last Week 238
This Week 234.4

Down 3.6

It has been a while since the needle went the other direction. Probably some water since my pants are still tight. I am pleased, but I am going to try focus on staying active and recording what I am consuming.

Lincoln Hawk 01-07-2013 06:42 AM

Exercise over the weekend was good, but I really need to get my eats where they need to be (starting today, for real this time.......no, seriously). Got a workout in this morning already too.

Thanks Ken. I'm going to check out the 30 day shred workouts since I like doing shorter workouts in the morning. With a quick search right now, I found some workouts on youtube with Jillian Michaels. The current workout I do is around 25 minutes and I do it just about every morning as soon as I wake up. It's short enough that I can see the finishline just about as soon as it starts, so even when I'm not in the mood I can still force myself through it. Longer workouts that go for an hour, I just tend to not do them.

Huff- Always nice to drop a few, no matter where they come from.

Not quite so Big D 01-07-2013 09:58 AM

1/1/13 - 238.2
1/7/13 - 224.4

Can you say water weight? Either my digital scale gave me an inaccurate reading last week, or I must be part camel. Stayed good on eats, but did go off plan with some alcohol on Saturday. No real exercise Saturday or Sunday.

I had an interesting weekend. A good friend's 45th birthday celebration on Saturday - golf, lots of food (all low carb!) and my first alcohol of the New Year. It was a good time. Unfortunately, during the round of golf, my wife texted me that my grandfather had fallen and was in the hospital and my mom had given a grim prognosis for recovery. I got up Sunday morning and drove to see him. He is 97 and has been on slow slide the last few years. The good news is that my Mom was overly dramatic he's not really day to day, but more than a few months is unlikely. Other than problems with extreme low blood pressure (which causes him to pass out when he stands up), none of his ailments are life threatening. (broken nose and broken rib from the fall) He probably won't be able to walk anymore and likely will never be able to return to his home in an assisted living community. He has officially declared that he is done living as there is no more enjoyment for him. Without the will to fight, I don't think he is going to last too long. Selfishly, I'm a little sad that won't be with us anymore, but he's lived a good long full life. Three children, eight grandchildren, 24 great grandchildren and two great-great grandchildren. I could spend days telling his stories. When he passes it won't be a sad event, but a reflection and celebration of the life he lived.

Lincoln Hawk 01-07-2013 01:57 PM

Wow Big D, that's a nice drop.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Not quite so Big D (Post 16178468)
Three children, eight grandchildren, 24 great grandchildren and two great-great grandchildren. I could spend days telling his stories.

That's pretty amazing right there.

Lincoln Hawk 01-07-2013 02:02 PM

Is a knee supposed to bend that way?

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18ap...f/original.gif