Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Challenges! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-challenges/)
-   -   UK/Europe/Middle East/Anywhere - January 2013 (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-challenges/792501-uk-europe-middle-east-anywhere-january-2013-a.html)

Ailuros 01-01-2013 02:47 AM

UK/Europe/Middle East/Anywhere - January 2013

Happy New Year!

lola5k 01-01-2013 05:21 AM

Thank you for starting thread Ailuros.

Happy New Year everyone. We had nice time at the Indian Banquet last night though food was a bit rich TBH...anyway on a huge DD today and already been out for a little 2 mile jog with DH....jogging not my scene really but do feel better for it. Cold much better but still sniffling a bit..but it will go.

So forwards and downwards hopefully for us all during the New Year and have a very happy one!!

xx

shykins 01-01-2013 05:27 AM

happy new year to u all

thanks ailuros for thread starting :)

x

Kissa 01-01-2013 11:14 AM

Happy New Year indeed, ours is off to a great start after Bloody Marys and Pizza in the pub.

Spoke the Vicky who was enjoying being at Lake McQuarie watching fireworks.

Junoesque 01-01-2013 01:42 PM

Happy New Year to you all!!! May we continue to enjoy this great way of life that we've found, and to appreciate the support we generate amongst ourselves. Go us!!

Love the idea of potato days but... erm... no butter?? Not working for me, LOL. I smuggled five packets of proper butter back into Germany after a few days in the UK at Christmas - oh I do love my butter!!! YUM!

So this morning kicked off with a couple of lamb chops yum yum YUM with a smidgeon of mint jelly - all courtesy M&S - those of you in the UK, please take a moment to appreciate the sheer genius of M&S in your country, LOL!!! I miss M&S. Great start to the year. And coupled with the fabulous smell of a Diptyque candle (present from my best friend), how could this year go wrong?

Love to all,

Juno x x x

blotto76 01-01-2013 09:17 PM

Happy New Year everyone! Thanks for the new thread Ailuros.

Lola, hope you are feeling better now - did the spicy Indian food help clear your nose, haha?!

Shy, how was your NYE at home?

Juno, hope you had a lovely time in the UK. I too love butter and M&S! We have M&S here but the food is only long life and frozen stuff, nothing fresh.

Kissa, sounds like you got 2013 off to a good start!

Blondie, hope the wedding preparations are going well - we definitely need to see pictures please.

Junk, Jan, Mint and anyone else I've missed - hope you all had good starts to the year.

I am feeling good - I had a lightening moment about my diet - as you all know i've been struggling with combining low carb and all my training, and as such I've been completely off the rails. Well it dawned on me that Paleo could be the answer! It's low carb but allows more vegetables than Atkins, plus fruit and starchier veg (sweet potatoes etc) when you need it for training. I can even make energy bars for my long cycles out of nuts and dried fruit. The only downside for me is that dairy isn't allowed - but I will keep this to a minimum rather than cut it out all together. So I started yesterday and today is day two - I'm committing for the whole of January to see what the results are! Please all keep me in check!

x

Mimosa23 01-01-2013 11:39 PM

Dear All,

Happy New Year and may this be a good, healthy and prosperous year for you all!

I am still falling off and getting on the wagon at regular intervals, and each time after a small success I end up completely destroying it by falling off the wagon.

So... No good New Year Resolutions, apart from trying to better myself by looking after my health a bit more. This way, the pressure is not so high, and I may actually achieve some goals!

Christmas was nice, apart from that my Grandmother recently got diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. Since the diagnose, I have spoken to her on the phone, but over the Christmas holidays it was the first time I saw her in a few months, and it shocked me how much older she looked all of a sudden. She also has moments of extreme confusion, which must frustrate her I am sure. And for my mother it's not easy either, as she has to deal with my Gran on a daily basis....

Well, no real good resolutions regarding posting here, I seem to disappoint myself in that aspect too! LOL.

We are finally settled in to the new house, which is fabulous. Had to do a lot of DIY but now it looks like our home and feels like it too! Spent a lot of our free time these last ten days still doing stuff around the house, so I'm hoping that will be a lot less this year!

Have a good start to the new year everyone, and I will try and check in more regularly, life allowing of course! xxx Mims.

ETA: I am not updating my stats, but trust me, they are so far off from what they were... YUK! When I get the courage I will put up my proper current weight...

Blondie Baby 01-02-2013 02:06 AM

HAPPY NEW YEAR all!!!

Trying to get ready for the wedding tomorrow. Got henna drying on my hands/arms as we speak. Got my shoes to match my dress. Will definitely post some pictures after the big day!

Kind of a sad start to the year for my family. My mother lost her brother on New Years Eve. It was not unexpected, he has not been well for a long time. But sad nonetheless. Last year my Mom lost a brother on Christmas Eve, another brother in May and now on New Years Eve. Please pray for them. It really makes me feel my mortality to realize that my family is aging. There were 12 siblings in my mothers family. Now there are 8. :sad:

Mimosa23 01-02-2013 02:29 AM

Maryam,

I will keep your family in my thoughts.

And... Sending lots of good thoughts for tomorrow, looking forward to the pictures, have a fantastic day!!!!!

xxx

Kissa 01-02-2013 02:56 AM

Maryam I am so sorry. It is hard to realise that time passes too quickly and one day we will be the older generation. I know you will look wonderful at the wedding, you are so slim and fit now. DH must be so proud of you.

Hi Mimosa, how good to see you back, I do miss your posts. I know if I don't post here regularly I am much more likely to fall off the wagon. Writing down my failures after a bad weekend somehow makes the less threatening and then I find it easier to get back on the wagon.

Juno, isn't it wonderful to have found a way of eating that sits well with our lifestyles and personalities? You are thriving on LC and I have maintained within 5 lbs for a whole year while doing JUDDD. I often do low carb up days, I have to have my chicken, duck or gooooose skin. I am not a lean meat woman.

Blotto I bet Paleo could be the rout for you. Iit is vital you get carbs enough for you body when you train so hard, but the clean nature of the Paleo foods should agree with you two.

Hoping to see Vicky posting regularly soon, they are home at last.

Mimosa23 01-02-2013 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kissa (Post 16165238)
Hi Mimosa, how good to see you back, I do miss your posts. I know if I don't post here regularly I am much more likely to fall off the wagon. Writing down my failures after a bad weekend somehow makes the less threatening and then I find it easier to get back on the wagon.

You are so right there, Cindy!
It was becoming easier with my busy life and the house and my busy job and and and... Finding excuses not to post were numerous as you can see... Hmmmm... I can't make any promises, as I don't want to disappoint anyone, least of all myself, because that is when I fall off the wagon! Anyway, I will try and check in regularly and be good. I have such a great support system here!

Mimosa23 01-02-2013 04:18 AM

Popping in again... When it rains, it pours, LOL!
Thought I'd post my menu, keep me accountable..

B: 3 eggs, hardboiled, 2TB mayo
L: salad made with cabbage finely sliced, a tsp of pesto, 3 sun dried tomato halves, chopped, 80gms Tuna from can in olive oil, used the oil over the salad. 40 grams sheep cheese (like Feta).
D: 200 grams of salmon fillet, steamed. Spinach sauteed with olive oil and garlic. Probably some mayo on the salmon...

Kissa 01-02-2013 04:45 AM

Now I have to go and eat, and it is a DD, lol.

lola5k 01-02-2013 06:33 AM

Blondie: So sorry to hear of your bad news sending :aprayer:
Hope despite that you enjoy the wedding.

Mimosa sounds like you are back on the low carb route that's great.

Blotto definiately worth a try with Paleo it may well suit you with all the training etc.

Great news re only 5lbs in a year deviation Kissa. I must admit I think JUDDD is a very forgiving when DD's go astray.

Hi to everyone else reading.

Still got the cold...thought it had gone yesterday but am sneezing and coughing like mad again today. arghhhhh Eating Vitamin C like there is no tomorrow but its probably already too late lol

Kissa 01-02-2013 07:30 AM

My cold is deteriorating too. at least I felt pretty good over NYE. I am on C and Echinacea as well.

Jazmai 01-02-2013 08:09 AM

Hi Am new to this forum, getting into the low carb way..am not very good at new year resolutions or committment but I am willing to learn and change, because I have to! ..my body isnt as young as it was and my apple middle will explode or give me heart attack if i carry on!

I am Jazmai from Manchester England, looking to learn and to let go of all my fat, get my va va voom back and swing from the light fitting! lol

lola5k 01-02-2013 08:35 AM

I will have to buy some Echinacea Kissa I know a friend who swears by it.

lola5k 01-02-2013 08:35 AM

Hi and :welcome: Jazmai.

You will find lots of support here so hopefully it will keep you motivated. Are you new to low carb or have you done this plan before? Anyway good luck keep posting and that will hopefully keep you on track.

Onwards and downwards in 2013!!

X

Kissa 01-02-2013 09:29 AM

Hi Jazmal, lovely to see a new face here. You will find so much support on LCF. It is a great space.

Mimosa23 01-02-2013 10:35 AM

Hi Jazmai, you found us! Welcome!

Junoesque 01-02-2013 01:03 PM

Hi Jazmai, and :welcome: You've definitely come to the right place when it comes to aiming for swinging from the light fittings. Mind you, modern things being what they are, I suspect that is a rather tricky thing to attempt nowadays, LOL!

Mimosa!! GREAT to see you back, even if (like me) you only slither in from time to time to post in the middle of the night. So glad you're enjoying your new home. I suspect one of my myriad un-acted-upon emails is the one with your new address, to which I meant to send a card. I meant to send Christmas cards too... *sigh*

Kissa, hope the lurgy doesn't get you too badly!! Sleep, fluids, esp my killer chicken soup - get well soon to all of you who've got the 'orrible cold!

Lola, hopefully that doesn't include you, but if it does, get well soon x

Blondie - oh I am sorry about your grandmother. Such memento mori are hard. I hope your religion can provide some comfort in this respect. And enjoy yourself at the wedding!

Blotto, the Paleo sounds great. Doesn't Atkins allow in a variety of less evil carbs at the end, though, and depending on your metabolism? That was always my understanding (so I know my body can't really deal with wheat, but potatoes are OK in moderation).

Shy, Ailuros, hugs to you both - and hello to any lurkers!

Still happy with my M&S haul - although I have to admit I shall forever be thankful to Germany for removing the temptations of the British supermarket, thereby helping me to slim down :-)

Juno x x x

Kissa 01-02-2013 02:49 PM

Where is Junkfoodmonkey?

Just home after seeing a great play at the Almeida. Succumbed to a slice of toast with butter and marmite...

blotto76 01-02-2013 09:37 PM

Gosh it's been busy on here! Lovely to see the board so active.

Mim, welcome back - hope you manage to get your eating and health back on track.

Blondie, i'm so sorry about your uncle. Hope you enjoy the wedding tonight - make sure you post some pics afterwards!

Kissa, you mentioning the Almeida gave me an unexpected pang of homesickness - my mum used to live just round the corner!

Lola, hope the vit C kicks in soon and kills the remains of the cold. Thankfully my sore throat didn't turn into anything nasty.

:welcome: Jazmai! Lovely to see a new face. Are you doing Atkins?

Juno, Paleo is kind of like the latter stages of Atkins, yes. I'm on Day 3 now and loving it so far - I think being allowed fruit is stopping me caving to other sweet things.

Hi to everyone else!

x

MintQ8 01-02-2013 10:47 PM

Hi All!

Happy New Year!

Had a great Christmas cruise around New Zealand - beautiful country! New Year was great fun too!

DD tomorrow! Hope to post more this month and through the year!

Mimosa23 01-03-2013 01:30 AM

Morning all!

Great to see so many of you back here!

Passed my first day back on the wagon with flying colours! Even dropped some water weight... It's lost weight, I'm taking it! (will go off and amend stats as soon as I've posted this, LOL)

Nothing much to report life-wise, all is busy as usual.

My menu for today:

B: 3 eggs, hardboiled, 2 TB mayo
L: a salad at VaPiano, probably ceasar style with chicken
D: Nice stir fry with cabbage, some kind of fatty meat and garlic... Will have to see what is on offer. Alternatively, we have lots of cold meats and some cheeses. I may have cold cuts, cucumber, lambs lettuce and some dip... Will let you know what it eventually will be tomorrow!

Have a fab day everyone!

shykins 01-03-2013 01:40 AM

hi everyone and welcome to Jazmai

sorry a few of u seem to be suffering with the lurg, hopefully u feel better soon

am very tied up with mums move at the moment which is proving VERY stressful (what else is new!!!!)

have been VERY VERY VERY bad over chrimbo but hope to be back with u and on plan soon

x

janj 01-03-2013 11:09 AM

Happy New Year! Everyone's been chatting up a storm in 2013 already - I feel like I'm late to the party!

Welcome to Jazmai, and lovely to catch up with everyone else.

Christmas was fab, but I was also VERY VERY bad about my eating and drinking. Time to draw in the reins and get these extra pounds gone!! I am off to try a Dance Leela class this afternoon - no clue what it is, but not ready to get back to Pilates as my tummy's still sore from the op....Then there's a Zumba class I want to try next week.

Son finally left for the Air Force yesterday. At least he's gone to sunnier climes in San Antonio, TX. Feels odd without him, but it's time for our nest to be empty (and tidy!).

Hope the wedding is lovely, Blondie. Hope everyone's colds and maladies are on the way out.

Here's to a wonderful year....:jumpjoy:

Mimosa23 01-03-2013 11:49 PM

Morning Everyone!

So, hopefully everyone is doing well today.
Here all is fine, still pretty dark outside and it's 8.45AM! Dreadful. Am glad the days are getting longer again. I always hate this time of year where there's so little daylight.

My eating is still good. Am sticking to a strict induction, with carbs under 20 grams total. I lean more towards an IF style of high fat eating, my body and mind seem to prefer it, and I lose better on it, so I will have to see how I go in two weeks after induction to decide on a more natural eating routine and style for me.

Yesterday I ended up getting ground meat (pork/beef) and fried that up in a little butter with some salt, pepper and herbs and had that with cabbage and some crumbled feta and some mayo. Dinner turned into a feast!

Today, my menu is:

B: tuna with mayo
L: leftover dinner, with lambs lettuce and spinach
D: chicken broth, with chicken pieces. Probably made fancy with some fat, cabbage and whatnot.

Will check in later before the weekend! Have a good day everyone,

xxx

Blondie Baby 01-04-2013 03:55 AM

Thanks for the :aprayer: everyone! The wedding was lovely. Unfortunately DH was too sick to come. Those of you who have been to the Middle East will understand that it was only a minor inconvenience for me since men/women are separated. As for the women, we danced, we ate, we laughed and we had a great time!

Mimosa23 01-04-2013 04:03 AM

Hi Maryam,

Glad to hear the wedding was lovely! Hope your DH is better or at least on the mend!

xxxx