Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 01:45 PM   #121
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Okay lady! Get those carbs out of your house, cook up an egg and bacon storm.

Loads of LC quiches, cream of mushroom soup, steak with an egg on top and lamb shanks and pork belly for fun.

The occasional 1MM and your LC bread. Masses of egg with real mayo. Avocados, creamed spinach... you know the stuff.

But just tuck into the magic meat supply and you'll soon be back on your game.

Love and hugs, xxx
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #122
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Junoesque
Stats: Size 18-20/14-16/12
WOE: Atkins. Ish.
Start Date: Re-started 1 January 2006
Ohh, dear Shy. The only surprise is that you didn't crack earlier. One blow-out does not a disaster make (nor even a couple of them in quick and nasty succession). You'll get back there; you know it yourself. Meanwhile, keeping your head in order is more important than keeping your body in order. They will synch with each other soon enough. DON'T WORRY! x x x

Blotto - LOL. "Just the usual training" - plus personal best? Howling with laughter and poking my stomach muscles to get them to share the joke (oddly enough, they are reluctant). WELL DONE!!! My cold is thankfully slinking away with tail between legs. Even managed to practise today.

Kissa, your "I faint at the thought" made me howl once more. Somewhen around my father's death I found a hellishly old magazine, which had a cartoon with a mouse holding itself up and wispishly saying to itself "I could faint!". I am still in love with this image!

Mint, what on earth are "air" fries? Potato days, on the other hand, sound pretty yummy :-)

Lola, how are the birthday celebrations going? And your daughter's visit?

JanJ, oh lovely to see you back here!! Good luck with the maintenance-level stuff. Which, let's face it, it a damn sight easier on low carb than on anything else!

Mimosa, that is an AWESOME amount of weight lost. I bow. I simply bow. You are fabulous. And that given that when I met you I thought, damn where is this woman even meant to need to lose weight?

Everyone else; hello! I know it seems impersonal; but from absolute poking around own stomach today; underlying muscles are there, rest feels like fat in a bag. We are moving on from the previous conviction that this would never move!

Juno x x x
Junoesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #123

I don't think ther is a sing;e muscle left in me body Juno. Flab rules here.

Glad your cold has gone at last. I thought I had another one starting last night, but maybe not...

Hope Vicky is okay in QLD, flooding is even on the news...
Old 01-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #124
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: blotto76
Stats: 175.25/163/140
WOE: Atkins first time round, Dukan now
Start Date: 5 May 2008/restart 17 June 2013 (Dukan)
Ah Shy, don't beat yourself up - you've had a lot to deal with lately, even the sanest of us would have cracked. As Kissa says, just jump back on the LC bandwagon and treat yourself to lots of yummy LC goodies - you'll be back on track in no time. Hugs x

Lola, glad you had a lovely family weekend. Where are you eating out on Wed?

Kissa, flab, you?! yeah right!!

Juno, glad you are feeling better and back practising.

Mint, hope you're safe and dry!

Hi everyone else!

x
blotto76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #125
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shykins
Stats: 262/147 goal
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 19th April 2004
thanks everyone. wish i could get the carbs out the house but ds and dh eat them so cant unfortunately

i will resolutely be back on plan as of today and hopefully can get back swimming too which always helps. i am not good when my routine goes to hell

keep kicking me i will need it over next few days

x
shykins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:41 AM   #126

I always like picturing you swimming and tanning at your gym... No tanning just yet thoug, heavy frost here today.

Well I have just done my first 3 days of 5:2 so today will be a DD and I feel the need. The scales were okay at 127.6 this morning though. Watch this space.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:50 AM   #127
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/203.2/160
WOE: NK/ IF
Start Date: 2 January 2014
Morning all!

Well, weekend was good, got lots done and did some relaxing too.
Am just worried about my skin: I've got lots of really dry spots on my face, and red bumps as well. It feels kind of tight because of the dryness. Where it's red, bumpy and dry, there are also lots of fine lines. It looks like eczema, but there is no pain or itching. Very odd.

I am only using baby soap free/fragrance free shampoo as a face wash and I have been using my own mix of jojoba/argan/coconut oil for ages, always with great results.
The only thing that has changed is the bloody weather!

I look awful. Going to the pharmacy in a few days to see if they have something that will help. If all else fails, I guess I have to go see a dermatologist.

I eat enough good fats, drink enough fluids, so I can't be dehydrated, and I feel fine, just the skin on my face looks like hell... The only thing I can imagine it being is a die-off reaction happening because of candida or because of the oil pulling that I've been doing for the last 10 days...

Am very happy to receive any secrets to great skin at the moment!

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

UK/European LCF Hangout: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-1-2014-a.html
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:18 AM   #128
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shykins
Stats: 262/147 goal
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 19th April 2004
mimosa funny enough i (and a few friends) have a few rogue itches, i have been mixing up my magic cream and it seems to be helping

great start: Ds decided to have toast for brekkie and then hour later dh decided to so i spent a couple hours smelling toast AARGGGHHH

x
shykins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:37 AM   #129

Thought I had replies to this Mimosa...... sometimes I swear I am going mad.

I suggest that you see a Dermatologist sooner rather than later as it is your face that is affected. It could be an allergic reaction to something you are eating. My oldest DD once developed an allergy to tomatoes for a short while. Don't mess with your face.

I have noticed the skin on my whole body has improved since I started taking Diatomaceous Earth daily. The skin on my body is so much less dry and therefore smoother. Also my hair is thicker, growing more quickly and my nails are in better condition.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:10 AM   #130
Blabbermouth!!!

Ok, you are going to have to fill me in on the diatomaceous earth, Cindy... This is clay, right? And how in heaven's name do you take this?
I recall seeing a thread somewhere, and wrote it off as nonsense... Now I need more information, LOL!

RE the dermatologist, I phoned them but can't see anyone for another three weeks, GRRRR!

ETA: they are probably going to prescribe cortisone cream anyway, it's what they always do... Nevermind, I'll go anyway in three weeks, but I am not getting my hopes up. And I CERTAINLY WILL NOT smear cortisone cream on my face!!!!

Last edited by Mimosa23; 01-28-2013 at 08:12 AM..
Old 01-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #131

The DE thread is on the JUDDD board... I am astonished at how it has worked. I had the same initial thoughts as you.

I'll post a link here.

Here it is Silica supplementation (diatomaceous earth)

I started at least 6 months ago and I'm not stopping. It is totally tasteless and I take it at night in a glass of s/f lemon flavoured Volvic water. Some people stir it into yoghurt.

I know it sounds mad but my skin feels so hydrated all the time, as if I have recently applied body lotion, which I am very, very lazy about and seldom do!

Last edited by Kissa; 01-28-2013 at 08:20 AM..
Old 01-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #132
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lola5k
WOE: Low Carb/Atkins/JUDD
Start Date: Atkins 2004/JUDDD Feb 2012
Wow kissa we are all interested. However there seem to be so many different types eg on amazon and the juddd link said some were dangerous to ingest. Where do you buy from please ..?

Last edited by lola5k; 01-28-2013 at 11:53 AM..
lola5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #133

Lola I use Diaguard foodgrade, blue and white label from the river site, 5 kgs around £25 inc postage. They do smaller quantities too, but postage on 2kgs is £5 and on this size is £6...
Old 01-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #134
Senior LCF Member

Shy, you did well resisting the toast - the smell of toast and fresh coffee combined is one of my favourite smells!

The clay stuff sounds intriguing - thankfully I don't have a problem with dry skin though, and I love using fancy body lotion after every shower/bath.

I've been doing Dukan for a few days to keep Lola company, and pleased to report I'm enjoying it AND it appears to be working! :-)

x
Old 01-28-2013, 11:03 PM   #135
Senior LCF Member

Thank you kissa xx

Ditto on resisting the toast Shy although cannot remember when I last ate toast. As blotto said been doing dukan low carb and am back into the 65kg range again. 65.7. Been hovering since Xmas. Decided to go back to juddd as it kinda suits my lifestyle but going to keep UD low carb dukan style. I think poss I'm doing too many carbs on UDD,s which is why I can seem to reach my life's ambition of 64 KGs lol

Off to gym now hope you're all good. Must admit kissa I am really interested about earth supplement but all this talk of fleas and mites puts me off a bit lol. But I guess you're still living so must be ok lol. I always had quite soft skin but must admit as got older some parts are dry and hair drops out plus nails no good so worth a try xxx

Last edited by lola5k; 01-28-2013 at 11:12 PM..
Old 01-29-2013, 12:23 AM   #136
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks for the link, Cindy!

I am already supplementing with Silica in tablet form, will this be any different?

Will go and read the link now before I ask any other silly questions!
Old 01-29-2013, 05:17 AM   #137
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: janj
Stats: 150/134/130 (5' 6.5")52 years old
WOE: LC
Start Date: May 2003
Hello. I'm happy that January is almost over, it's been a long haul of a month with freaky weather in some form for most of us!. Here's to a better February!

Shy, you have had such a lot to deal with. Cut yourself a little bit of slack (I almost typed 'snack' there ).

Juno, belated congrats on the big role. Lovely avatar on fb, btw!

Vicky, hope you're avoiding the flooding and fires in Oz. Trust the business and plans are trucking ahead......

Blotto, if I ever ran the distances you do (PB to boot!!), I'd be shouting it from the rooftops. You go girl!

Lola, glad you enjoyed such a nice family weekend, and are getting into a LC/JUDDD pattern that suits you.

Mimosa, you are the queen of weightloss! I salute you (or would a curtsey be more appropriate?).

Kissa, I'm also intrigued by the DE. I will go investigate the link. And I have no doubt you will rock the 5:2 diet just like my husband wh has been doing it (for the anti-aging benefits) for months with not a single cheat! I do not have the ability to fast. I get grouchy!! I do LC low cal for now....

Big hello to everyone else!

I'm ending January at 132lbs. I think I can make peace with 130lbs, so just want to slide gently downwards next month and continue with the Zumba, NIA and yoga.

Last edited by janj; 01-29-2013 at 05:18 AM..
janj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:43 AM   #138
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi Jan!

Speaking of queens, our queen Beatrix is abdicating. Her speech yesterday evening was very moving. I think it is nice for her to retire, and I think our crown prince and his wife will do a great job starting April 30th! Better sort out my queens day plans this year, got to go to the Netherlands for that, as it will be a great celebration I think!
Old 01-29-2013, 09:43 AM   #139
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: janj
Stats: 150/134/130 (5' 6.5")52 years old
WOE: LC
Start Date: May 2003
Ooohh no, I hadn't heard that news. Will look it up now!
janj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #140

Wow, Mimosa, that is amazing. I have been out all day, first with DD1 then at the theatre and evening and had missed that. It must feel sort of strange. I am a great fan of our Queen and she has made it clear she feels she must do this for life, but if she had abdicated I think I would be very emotional.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:01 PM   #141
Blabbermouth!!!

Cindy, in our country it is normal for the queen/king to abdicate, they are servants of the people, and will abdicate when they feel they no longer can serve the people better than the younger generation. In any case, I think it's nice for her to get some time off! She is very much loved in the Netherlands, and I think she did a great job. After all that she has been through in the last years (death of husband, death of parents in same year, horrible attempt on the royals' lives on queensday, awful skiing accident of son Friso, who is in a Coma) I think she deserves a wonderful life as the king mother and some peace and quiet and some good fortunes!

I think in the UK the queen is there for life, so she will never abdicate. I always find it funny to read stories about her not abdicating because she wants William to be king and not Charles... That is a load of nonsense, LOL! Anyway, Charles will be king when the queen dies. And William when Charles dies. That is how it works in the UK, am I correct?
Old 01-30-2013, 06:18 AM   #142
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6/239.2/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 9 June 2013
Hi All

Weather has been abysmal - and many people are suffering terribly! We fortunately are not among them. The rain came down horizontally, the wind was gusting at 90+km per hour. The beaches to the north and south of us had sea foam (looked like snow). There are some places that are totally underwater - over half way up the second story of people's homes. It's heartbreaking. Though it has put the fires out up here.

I'm off to the Blue Mountains again tomorrow - this time for a conference - so I'm paying - but should get to do some sightseeing!!! Hope the rain hasn't affected it up there!

Air Fries - are made in an air fryer - you need practically no oil - 1/2 a teaspoon or something similar!

Okay - off to bed!

Night night
Old 01-30-2013, 06:43 AM   #143

So horrid Vicky and not long after the terrible flooding a couple of years ago. Hope you enjoy your Blue Mountain trip, have fun.

Yes Mimosa, that's how is is here, and I am happy with that.

Off to Devon, our new guest bathroom has just been finished off and we are leaving the place filthy, covered in dust, but have to get there for an appt tomorrow.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #144
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Junoesque
Stats: Size 18-20/14-16/12
WOE: Atkins. Ish.
Start Date: Re-started 1 January 2006
Kissa, safe travels! Winds are wild here today and I understand the same holds for the UK.

Mint, argh! What abysmal weather. Glad you survived. Enjoy the Blue Mountains - I have a sweet online friend there. And thanks for the air fries info - learn something new every day...

Mimosa, how frustrating with your facial skin :-( So sorry the dermatologist appointment is so far away! Can't suggest anything, I am afraid; my skin has always been pretty good. Why not at least try a bit of the cortisone, maybe on only a patch, and see if it improves matters? If it clears things up straight away you're not going to have to carry on using it, which is what does the damage. And yes, you have UK succession rules correct :-)

Blotto, OMG OMG YES!! The smell of toast.... *sigh* I had a friend make home-made crumpets this week. Can't get them here. One was enough, saturated with butter, to make me sigh with pleasure! Now that's a first - usually need the whole packet :-)

Everyone else, hellooooooo!!

So Kissa, I just read the monster thread on diatomaceous earth, and have just ordered some (from the UK, can't find any here, and the UK descriptions of "safe for ingestion by chickens" were not exactly inspiring!!). Fingers crossed! And thanks so much for posting.

Otherwise, doing OK. Great evening here with friends: hummous and some sort of delicious-looking bread from the Turkish store was gulleted by them as I took care of the rest. Then rather wicked chicken with apricots and spices and honey and stuff, with couscous with preserved lemon, and a salad of blood orange, onion and basil...

Shy, still holding up there? One of the great advantages of the single state is that I *don't* have the problem of unwanted carbs in the house. I honestly think that this is a huge issue, not addressed nearly as much as it should be... Keep strong!!! (We're here to kick your arse if you don't ;-) )

Jan, thanks for the compliment!! (Result of being ill and having a carnival hat to play around with.) And my goodness, yes you CAN make peace with 130 - we don't want you to disappear...

Lola, I was thinking exactly that about the DE!! "Safe for chickens to ingest" indeed... however I went ahead and ordered some today. I seldom get the impression that I need particular supplements, but this sounds interesting. When my father died, my fingernails went from idiotically strong to being prone to split, etc etc - and could do with the intestinal support. Let's see!

(Long alcoholic interval between the above and the below, with lovely friends and vaguely North African food which, though I says it myself as shouldn't, ROCKED!)

And an irritating pause in which all I had written was wiped out. Grrrr....

Juno x
Junoesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:48 PM   #145
Senior LCF Member

Hehe, Kissa you've started a real trend with the DE, you've got everyone buying it!

Lola, great to hear you are back in the 65kg range. LC JUDDD obviously suits you.

Jan, I'm sure 130lb is perfect for you - as Juno says, we don't want you disappearing!

Mint, hope you're keeping safe and dry. Enjoy the Blue Mountains.

Juno, now you've got me drooling and longing for crumpets!! I wouldn't say no to your yummy north african menu either!

Shy, how's it going, are you back on track?

Hi to everyone else. Almost the weekend here, yippee!

x
Old 01-30-2013, 11:19 PM   #146
Blabbermouth!!!

Morning all!

Katy: DE is called Kieselgur or Kieselguhr here... I can get it in Fressnapf, which is a pet store... LOL! It's food grade, so safe for humans and pets.

I am actually in a EVCO experiment with the dog at the moment. She goes crazy for it, and it seems to do her good. In the morning when I make my BPC she stands next to me wagging and staring obsessively at the jar of EVCO, LOL! I give her some just like that, to eat from my hand and then in the evening some more in her food. She has started to race me for her food as well, LOL!
I am thinking of starting DE to help with my skin, but I think it will also help with my candida, etc, so will give it a go for a month or two to see how I feel and what my results are. In the meantime, I'll try giving it to the dog as well, to see if it helps her as well...

Will report back on that as soon as I have some results to tell you about!

Well, for the rest, skin is awful, but I'm not giving up. I don't have cortisone cream yet, need a prescription for it. Anyway there is no way I am putting stuff like that on my face. My skin is my treasure (well, not at the moment, LOL) and I like to keep it as wrinkle free for as long as possible. Cortisone will thin my skin layers and will not help that as well as other side effects that I don't really care much for.
I've been using EVCO twice a day, which has solved the dryness somewhat. And I've upped my dosage of Omega 3 supplements. I think I need a week to see if it does anything.
Definite healing crisis here. With the oil pulling and my EVCO consumption, I'm experiencing double issues: candida die-off, which also comes with the nice headache behind my eyes, and the eczema and itchy scalp.

YUK. Anyway, I know once it's out, it's out and I will feel better. So no reason to quit just because I look a bit awful, LOL!

Seeing as I've spent the last couple of years on and off living in a hedonistic way (too many cigarettes, too much alcohol, too little sleep and bad foods) I guess it's going to take a while for me to get all that crap out of my system...

Well, enough rambling, got to get on with my day!

Will do personals soon again, I am not forgetting you all!

My menu today:
B: BPC
L: chicken salad, and a cup of homemade broth
D: salmon again. Had leftover from yesterday and will probably throw that in an omelette or make scrambled eggs with it.

Have a good day everyone!
xxx
Old 01-30-2013, 11:33 PM   #147
Blabbermouth!!!

One more thing, google Agrinova, that is the one that is food grade DE if you want to find it where we are, Juno!
xxx
Old 01-31-2013, 11:04 AM   #148
Senior LCF Member

Me too Juno I.ve ordered some so hopefully in a months time we will have fantastic skin, luscious locks, nails and be sleeping oooh so well. lol.

Hi to everyone else, just whizzing by...heavy on the work front at the moment and don't seem to have a moment to catch my breath.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:49 AM   #149

Bit busy here too. Got to a Zumba class though.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:13 AM   #150
Blabbermouth!!!

Ooh! busy too here... We haven't even started a February thread yet!
No time today, sorry!

Will check in to the hopefully new thread on Monday. Have a good weekend everyone!
xx