Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #511
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/227.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
Hey guys, just a quick check-in...

Abs, congrats on the day off...I'm guessing dw and ds got one from school but haven't talked to them yet...

Had a couple cubes of cantaloupe for breakfast and will have half a turkey sandwich for lunch...no idea about dinner yet...

Lets rock this challenge girls!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #512
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Hey Tony! Yeah, let's rock this challenge!
Old 03-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #513
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BlondieBlue
Stats: 208.4/200.8/199
WOE: Atkins/Low Carb
Start Date: 1/3/2012- restarting 1/29/2013
Happy Tuesday all! Short day running around today. Then oil change after work. Supposed to go to a concert tonight, but it's across town and doesn't start until 9pm... ugh. I hate feeling so lazy about going out, especially since I have tickets... What to do...?!
Old 03-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #514
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.6/332.6/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 11/11/13
What concert is it?
Old 03-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #515
Senior LCF Member

Andrew McMahon and special guests. He's the frontman for Jack's Mannequin and Something Corporate. Alt rock music that I've listened to since my young teens. It's out at Martini Ranch though and I've already spent all day driving to and fro and back...
Old 03-20-2013, 12:40 AM   #516
Major LCF Poster!

Britt, did you make it to the concert? How was it? It is hard to make yourself go back out to drive somewhere when you have been on the road all day.

Where was FF all day yesterday? Hope his computer is not acting up again. Maybe he spent the day in the kitchen concocting alot of specialties with his new oven.

Think I will need to walk down to the end of the driveway with the shovel before getting the car out. I am sure the plow left a pretty good barricade there last night. It was still snowing when I went to bed. Looking at the top of the picnic table ( that is my snow depth gauge) it looks like about 10 inches at least total.

Hope you all have a wonderful Wed.! Have some egg salad to take for lunch. They will do free lunch today because we were closed yesterday but I think it sounded like something I couldn't have and they didn't mention a salad. We shall see.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #517
Senior LCF Member

No, Abi I did not make it to the concert. Boy ended up getting home a lot later than normal anyway so on top of driving back across town, he'd already had a very long day. The reasons to stay home just kept piling up. ahhh well.

Happy American Idol Day Everyone!
Old 03-20-2013, 11:07 AM   #518
Major LCF Poster!

Hi guys, all is well in Nashville...busy with music stuff...had dinner with a buddy last night and Sarah was too tired after work to join us, so I will prob make dinner for her tonight and have her stop by on her way home from work...

Last nights dinner was spicy fried chicken with southern greens and baked beans...it was awesome...today I had a few chunks of fruit for breakfast and 1/2 turkey sandwich for lunch...

I exercised in my apt this morning...250 ab crunches and assorted other things and then walked up and down the 3 stories using the outside stairwells 6 times and wasn't even tired, but I got bored. :-). Hoping this attempt at a workout will help ease the pain at the gym when I go there on Friday...

I fly back tomorrow afternoon for my sons wrestling banquet, then Italian restaurant Friday night two hours from home and sibling lunch on Saturday 90 minutes away...busy week!

Feeling great and motivated...hope y'all are finding your mojo - this in between season is a great time to drop some weight so we hit the warm weather looking good...lets do this!!!

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 03-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #519
Major LCF Poster!

Abs, that's a lot of snow!....dw and ds did have snow days yesterday...hope u got out of the driveway okay...you wake up waaaaaaaay too early, girl

Britt, I woulda done the same thing and ditched the concert...the only thing worse than buying tickets and not using them is buying tickets and using them when you'd rather not!...haha!

I'm half paying attention to idol...Angie miller and amber are my two favorites I think...won't get to watch tonight...who do you like?
Old 03-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #520
Senior LCF Member

I'm still not 100% on the names, as boy and I have nicknames for them all. But we do really like Angie Miller, and Candace and Kree and Lazaro. Yes I just looked the names up you're welcome for that. Otherwise you'd probably spend an entire episode wondering, "Which one is Horse-Teeth???" and that would distract you from all the singing.

I would have like for Charlie and that crazy loud other girl to have stayed around longer than they did.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #521
Major LCF Poster!

Kree will have a country career after this...she can sing and she has the perfect name...funny how that works...I didn't like any of the guys as THE idol, but a few weren't horrible...they could have filled the top 20 with all girls this year, in my opinion...haha on the horse teeth - you are a piece of work!
Old 03-21-2013, 12:39 AM   #522
Major LCF Poster!

Britt, I laughed out loud at your names for the AI contestants. Would you believe I have never watched that show? Too late for me to be up. lol

Tony, glad you had a great trip to Nashville. Enjoy your son's banquet tonight. I did not have to shovel much yesterday to get out of the drive. I might have been able to just gun it and could have made it out. Just did not want to end up spinning tires which has happened before.

FF must be having computer problems again.

Marilee, you are getting your computer back from the shop on Saturday? Yay!

Free lunch was chicken nuggets, brocolli with cheese sauce and rice. I took 3 nuggets and peeled off the breading and three chunks of brocolli. It didn't taste very cheesy so I am sure they had flour mixed in with the cheese. No rice. Also ate my two egg salad.

Not much happening here. Hope all the Blitzers have a great Thursday!
Old 03-21-2013, 07:24 AM   #523
Major LCF Poster!

On the plane in Nash...should be home at 3:15...good trip...

Abs, you are such a good girl peeling off the breaking...I rarely do that!...

Had a few cubes of melon for breakfast...gonna miss Sarah...

Have a great day, kids!
Old 03-21-2013, 07:44 AM   #524
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey all!

Well, the scale is moving down, so I'm hoping to get the 5 pounds off for this 2 weeks challenge.

Abi, my computer isn't in the shop. The cable company is coming out on Saturday to check my connections. My modem works fine, but I can't make a cable connection. So, I'm still able to play games and things that don't require the internet. Now, I just have to clean my house so I'm not embarrassed when he shows up

Ok, I'm not watching Idol this year (the first year I haven't watched), but I want to know who "horse teeth" is so I can check him (or her) out.

Tony, 250 ab crunches????? Dang, dude!!!

Marilee
Old 03-21-2013, 10:03 AM   #525
Major LCF Poster!

Marilee, the most amazing thing about the 250 crunches is that I am able to do them even with this fat on my stomach!!! I gotta drop these 5 and then another 35...wanna get this done this year!

You picked the right year to skip idol...

At the Baltimore airport now and just finished a too big turkey and Brie sandwich on a multigrain roll that I ate only some of...too full...ds has a wrestling potluck tonight so I won't be very hungry for that
Old 03-21-2013, 06:31 PM   #526
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
right again!

FF WAS having computer problems again. I am back...BUT. but Luciano and I both agreed that this was the last time. Next time, will be a new and hopefully fully functioning one. Otherwise, all is cool. It is getting late, and I am thirsty for plain water. F-staying hydrated-F
Old 03-21-2013, 06:50 PM   #527
Major LCF Poster!

ff, i'm still waiting to hear more details about the turkey wings!

home after the potluck, which was nice...had some salad and a small amount of baked ziti - there were no LC options, so i ate more carbs today than i have for while...feeling good though...

i hit the gym in the a.m. after 5 days - i'm hoping it won't hurt too much...i'll let y'all know how i make out :-)
Old 03-22-2013, 12:46 AM   #528
Major LCF Poster!

FF, I think you and Luciano are making a wise decision on getting a new computer when this one goes out again. Good going on staying hydrated! How much are you enjoying your retirement - waking up every day with a blank slate? Sleeping as late as you want?

Marilee, you are having better luck than me on the 5lb challenge. I need to get to business!! April 1st is fast approaching!

Tony, glad you had a good trip to Nashville and still made it back for your son's banquet. I'm sure he was thrilled that you didn't miss it. I can't imagine doing one crunch not to mention 250! Just think a year ago what you were not able to do? You've got to feel great with that new hip, no pain to speak of!

Getting ready to make some egg salad to take for lunch. Have a wonderful day everyone!
Old 03-22-2013, 04:31 AM   #529
Major LCF Poster!

i LOVE egg salad!...abs, have a great day at the wax museum...

the crunches have been a regular part of my exercise regimen since these blitzes started in april 2010...it was one of the few exercises i could do - that's why i can do so many of them...i have become quite muscular, but most of that is hidden under a layer of fat...

i really am large-boned - i know everyone says that, but i've been tested and i really am...so while a chart says i should weigh about 155 lbs., i am thin at 175, still look good at 185 and when i was working out at a gym and lifting weights in 1989, i weighed in the 190s...therefore at 226 and at the gym 3-4 times a week, i am at least 30 lbs. too heavy...

losing weight will increase the life expectancy of my hip implant too... :-)
Old 03-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #530
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yum! Egg salad - I love it! I know everyone probably has their own way of making it. I like it with celery, onions, may, a "dollop" of mustard, a splash of dill pickle juice (or a little dill relish). Ok, so now I want some.....
Old 03-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #531

i love egg salad!

i use just enough mayo to get it to stick together. i mince lots of celery, some green pepper, and some onion or green part of scallion, and some fresh black pepper. That is my definitive ES. As for the turkey wings, I prepared it the way I always did before: sprayed with butter flavored spray so the spices would stick to it, namely: black pepper, Mrs Dash, poultry spice, celery seed(just a bit...it is powerful), and paprika. As I used to put it in the wall oven at 375 for about 90 minutes, then at 475 for 30-45 minutes to brown. I put the Super-Wave for about 75 minutes (complete guesswork) at 460 degrees(also guesswork). The end result was YUMMO!!! Did my taxes today-H.R. Block. If they make a mistake, I get a FREE orange jumpsuit for my sojourn at Fort Leavenworth. It is hard to believe this Blitz will soon be at an end. My eating disorder, has surfaced again since retirement. The good news is that I no longer have the capacity to PIG OUT to the degree I did prior to the beginning of the first blitz. I am very conscious of the dangers, and make conscious deliberations when faced with temptation. I am pleased to say that I say NO more often than YES. Ice cream and fruit are my GREATEST temptations. MINDLESS eating has been brought to a virtual halt. I will continue to improve with each BLITZ as WE ALL WILL. FF
Old 03-23-2013, 01:43 AM   #532
Major LCF Poster!

Great post FF! You had me in stitches about getting the free orange jumpsuit! One advantage you have is you can only eat what you bring into your apartment. When other people in the house eat whatever they want the temptations are always staring you in the face.

Tony, I know there is a solution to getting rid of the fat deposits. You don't eat enough to keep a bird alive from what I can tell. I keep meaning to order or drive over to Keene to the big book store and pick up Gary Taubes book "Why we get Fat". I have read Good Calories/Bad Calories by him but it is pretty deep. This new book is suppose to be an easier read. I think it boils down to this quote I read last week on one of the threads. I apologize to the person who wrote it but I can't remember her name. If I come across it later I will give her the credit.

"Insulin resistance is like your cells get sick of hearing from insulin so they stick their fingers in their ears. But that just makes your body shout louder with more insulin. Anytime insulin is coursing through you, fat can not be released. If you never give your body a break from things that cause a lot of insulin to release the fat will accumulate."

So the answer to me is keep carbs as low as possible but eat enough to let your body know it is not going to starve.

You all would be disappointed to hear my recipe for egg salad. When I make it for myself to bring to work I put a handful of chopped lettuce in the bottom of my little tupperware, then slice or chop two hard boiled eggs into fairly big bites, a little salt and pepper on them, and then a dollop of mayo on top. When I go to eat it the lettuce is still crunchy and I give it a slight stir and eat away! Pretty bland but filling.

I am off to the store when it opens at 7am to grocery shop. Also have been knitting one of those little felted lambs to send to a little girl in Alabama for Easter. Need to finish it today, was and shrink it and stuff it tomorrow, then into the mail Monday. Wish me luck!

Will check back in later when you all drag yourselves out of bed! Have a great Saturday!

Last edited by Abigale; 03-23-2013 at 01:52 AM..
Old 03-23-2013, 03:23 AM   #533
Major LCF Poster!

Found who wrote the quote in my post above. It was anglgrl on March 19th post # 6 on the thread titled How does insulin resistance cause obesity.

How does insulin resistance causes obesity?

post # 2 by biancasteeplechase is very good too. "Gary Taubes has a clear, in-depth explanation in Why We Get Fat. Here are the basics:

Insulin signals our muscle cells to burn glucose instead of fatty acid. It also signals our fat cells to stop releasing fatty acids and start storing them.

When our insulin is regularly high, our cells start becoming resistant to it. So the pancreas compensate by releasing more insulin.

However, not all cells become resistant at the same rate. In many of us, muscle cells become resistant faster. So, when your insulin levels are high, your muscle cells aren't burning glucose as fast as they should ... but your fat cells are storing fat.

Worse, since your muscle cells aren't getting the energy you need, your body can start signalling to you that you need fast-energy food right away - so you get carbohydrate cravings. And if you eat more carbohydrates, the cravings just get worse."
Old 03-23-2013, 04:04 PM   #534

just checking in.

great archived performance of LA FORZA DEL DESTINO from March 12, 1977 on my classical station earlier today featuring Leontyne Price & Placido Domingo. They were both vocally well suited to their roles. Going down to NJ on Mon, and will return Wed. Having some turkey for dinner...NOW. No dessert. Goodnight ALL FF
Old 03-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #535
Major LCF Poster!

hi guys, just a quick check in...i had a great lunch with my sibs...we were at the restaurant for 4 hours!...italian food - i had veal parm, eggplant parm and sausage combo platter and brought half of it home...

abs, good luck on the lamb :-)

ff, you'll overcome the "disorder" - i have no doubt!...
Old 03-24-2013, 03:38 AM   #536
Major LCF Poster!

Tony, when our family gets together we can go on for hours too. Always hate for those getogethers to end.

FF, have a great time in New Jersey at your earth brother's house the next few days! I bet they will say you look like you have lost some weight!

Knitting the lamb is coming along too slow. Good thing little Grace is not expecting it. So may be a tad late.

I am concentrating on mostly meat and eggs this week so I guess my Sunday breakfast will be the perfect choice. lol

Running a little behind today but will check back later! Have a great Sunday Blitzers!
Old 03-24-2013, 08:11 AM   #537
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi everyone. I have a few minutes before church so I thought I'd say hello. My computeris working, but they couldn't guarantee how long - seems they want to install a new line as minue are almost shot. So, next Thursday, the cable company will come out and replace it. I hope that solves the problem.

I totally blew my plan yesterday. I don't know why, I just did. ff, I can relate to your struggle. When I'm not busy, I have a tendency to get bored and turn to food.

Have a great Sunday!
Old 03-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #538

Tony, all those crunches...most impressive

the only way i can do anywhere near those crunches is when i am noshing on pork rinds (hahaha). Happy Palm Sunday amd Easter week to all. FF,
Old 03-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #539
Major LCF Poster!

Marilee, they were showing the blooming desert flowers north of Phoenix yesterday on tv. So lovely! I am so ready to see green grass and trees blooming with cherry blossoms!

I just started some vegetable seeds indoors just to see something green growing. lol

Good luck on the new cable on Thursday. Sure hope it solves the problem!!!
Old 03-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #540
Major LCF Poster!

Same to you FF! And I am on the same page as you - you know those are the only crunches I do too!
Closed Thread