Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #481
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
TURKEY WINGS!!! I almost forgot.

Thanks, Abi, for shocking the lucidity back into my putriFRYing brain. Excellent choice. 2 hours away from oven. Very exciting. I still need to get my salad spinner. I saw one in the window of a discount store last week, but there were none in stock. I will back in that area on Thursday. If worse comes to worse, perhaps they will let me have the one in the window (assuming it is not an empty box). I am pleased to say that there has been no weight GAIN in 2013 thus far. With my new cooking toys, perhaps I shall be able to enjoy sustained weight loss at a SLIGHTLY hastier pace.We do NOT want to lose it too quickly, do we, lest it comes back even quicker. FF

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2013, 11:45 AM   #482
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BlondieBlue
Stats: 208.4/200.8/199
WOE: Atkins/Low Carb
Start Date: 1/3/2012- restarting 1/29/2013
I live for the creepy stuff. Love it. Nice to have a creepy show since Dexter and American Horror Story are in the off season! Lest I become soft in the inbetween time...

Happy Wingsday and American Idol Day! woo hoo! Garlic Parm wings for dinner *punching my rock fist into the air*

Abi- I am a mortgage officer. But I just recently switched from a big bank to a state licensed broker/banker, so a lot of my work right now is marketing myself to realtors and prospective clients. Once I have business, I can actually get to the loan making. lol I'm loving the flexibility. My time is my paycheck so I'm highly motivated to put in time, where for 11 years I'd been confined to a micromanaged time clock, which really doesn't make me want to BE there.

FF- Whatever you decide to make, try to use the oven for everything! The first thing we cooked in the nuwave 2 years ago were frozen French fries sprinkled with ranch powder. You could do some salmon or tilapia with orange and lemon slices on top! Or a stuffed pork loin! And now I'm hungry...

So I had a rather unusual dream last night, I got into a fight at a wedding with a very rude wedding guest. She cut in front of me at the food line, then took the last of the food, then she stole my seat. When I passed by her table to refill my iced tea she stood up and started yelling and insulting me. Then she pulled out a large carrot and acted as if it were a knife. This odd dream made we wake up with a new mission... I need to learn how to head-but people. Just in case! You might be able to dodge a punch or a slap, but no one is coming back for seconds after you head-but them in their face. After a head-but I think you're deemed "BSC" and nobody wants to mess with that.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #483
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/227.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
well, well, well, britt, there is never a dull moment with you, is there?...even in your dreams, you're a handful!...lol...you remind me of a girl i used to date :-)

abs, thanks for reminding ff about the turkey legs...i have no idea why i am thanking you for that...i had a great birthday...instead of going out to dinner, i went and picked up bbq...emmy's boyfriend and anthony's girlfriend joined us too - it was very nice...the kids got me the baseball package so i can watch every yankee game and tickets to a fisher cats game when the yankee minor league team is in town...dw got me some bird seed and bird books and the "smoothie bible"...

just so y'all know, i have a couple of bird feeders and think they're cute, but it's not like i'm a bird-man...lol...

ff, i will want a FULL REPORT on the oven...what kind/brand of oven is it?...

rigorous gym workout today - it's getting better and better...

i had a weird day eating-wise:
b: skipped
l: skipped
d: roasted red peppers, fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, sliced plum tomatoes, garlic, parmesan and evoo on a small piece of ciabatta bread...OMG, it was good!

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 03-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #484

so much to tell.

the oven is an infomercial oven called the SUPER WAVE OVEN put out by THE SHARPER IMAGE. Do not confuse it with the NU-WAVE oven which is a very similar infomercial. But the SUPER WAVE is better. It looks like I will be baptizing it using TURKEY WINGS & GRILLED VEGGIES on Sunday. I hope you are all sitting down. I took my friend to lunch (aweful terrestrial tradition)in gratitude for ordering stuff for me on the internet.I do no business on the computer. I paid him in cash over the years. I never had a whole belgian waffle. My (earth)mom bought one at the 1964-64 Worlds Fair, and we all took a taste. So, I had a bowl of minestrone soup(it was great. I do not think the Soup N..I could have done better. Then I had a Belgian Waffle topped with 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream(no pistachio on the premises, sob)with choc sauce and whipped cream washed down with ice water and 2 cups of joe. Nothing more to say. I decided I was gonna have it yesterday, and miraculously did not change my mind 100 times as I always do. You have to see their menu. It is like the Iliad, the Odyssey, the Mahabharata, & Ramayana all together in length. I enjoyed it, and satisfied my curiosity at the same time. That new oven will preclude the need to eat out or order in. As y'all now by now, HABEMVS PAPAM. Let us all pray for him, and that he is able to relieve some of the world's ills. FF
Old 03-14-2013, 12:27 AM   #485
Senior LCF Member

No, its never dull in my head. I do stay entertained. But the people that I share the madness with, tend to enjoy it as much as I do. I sympathize with The Mad Hatter and Maleficent is my favorite Disney character. True story. After I told the boy my crazy headbutting mission of a dream, he gave me some other self defense pointers to supplement my head bashing scheme. awe

Wasn't feeling wings tonight, made taco meat with cream cheese instead.

American Idol was lackluster. I pinned most votes between 2 of the 10. I might stop watching if they go home. I don't want to stop watching but...might be an EHH season for me.

FF- cook something already!!!!

Now I have nothing to comment on for tomorrow, since I'm an insomniac tonight. If anyone (early risers?) wants to recommend a random topic for me, I'd be happy to oblige in a freestyle writing? Hope everyone is sleeping well! Happy Thursday All!
Old 03-14-2013, 02:12 AM   #486
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Hey Britt! Are you still up? I have been up since 2:30am EST but got on the computer late. I baked some cheese rounds and cheese nachos. I work with a girl that wants to make some after seeing the recipes but has never tasted them. hence made some for a taste test for her.

Wow, a mortgage officer! That kind of business is way over my head! Love that you have that flexibility in your job now.

FF, I am very happy with what I see and hear about Pope Francis. He certainly will need our prayers!

Tony, I always prefer eating at home over going out to a restaurant. Good choice. We have bird feeders too and love to watch them. All different size woodpeckers, dove, chickadees and those pesky squirrels! Have only caught one so far in the have a heart trap.

Good news for DH! The neurosurgeon at Dartmouth yesterday wants to try a steroid shot in the back next week. He says DH could possibly be pain free for up to a year with it. He is not having pain in his back but down in his legs and ankles. He brought home a copy of his MRI and you can see exactly where the 3 and 4 disks are pressing on the spinal chord. Let's hope he can get some relief soon!

Hope you all have a wonderful Thursday!
Old 03-14-2013, 06:40 AM   #487

Abi, best of luck to DH re: back pain.

I thank the Gods every day I can make it through w/o any sort of pain. I hope the shots work. I had cortisone shots for the right knee. It worked. That was 10 years ago. The left knee was too far gone, so I had to have the replacement surgery for it. FF
Old 03-14-2013, 08:34 AM   #488
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

abs, good luck to dh...he is going to a great hospital, so it makes you feel more confident, doesn't it?...since you were up all night, i can just imagine the crazy candles that will be created at KC today...haha!

britt, as you know, i am a songwriter so i am always interested in what is going on in people's heads, especially unorthodox heads since i have one of those...lol...since we are on a diet-oriented site, why don't you write about the strangest meal you have ever eaten...

ff, you are one interesting alien - why not use the oven tonight?...

ok, an off-day from the gym today, which is always nice!...see y'all later on...
Old 03-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #489

i am still trying to remove oven from the packing materials.

Assuming they remembered to include the instruction booklet, I will be ready on St Pat's Day. I will do my food shopping Sun a.m. Now, for Part 2 of the rescue of the oven from its packing materials. FF
Old 03-14-2013, 07:58 PM   #490

you may have had the day off from gym, Tony....

but I just finished quite a workout delivering that "baby" with all of its afterbirth. It just missed the big toe by a milimeter. Now I shall lie down and read the instructions. By the way Jerry Seinfeld was on Jay Leno last night. He (Jerry)is practically a dead ringer for Matt Lauer. G'night y'all. FF
Old 03-15-2013, 01:30 AM   #491
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the well wishes for DH everyone!

FF, glad you did not drop that oven on your big toe! Congratulations on the birth of your new oven! lol

I'll have to see a recent picture of Jerry to see if I agree. Did he get his hair cut down to the scalp?

Glad it is Friday. Just cooked some hard boiled eggs for salad for lunch. Need to get them peeled and chopped.

Hope you all have a wonderful day!
Old 03-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #492
Senior LCF Member

My Strangest Meal

I am a total foodie. If it's new to me, I want to try it. Fancy foods and junk foods alike. I love flavor. I love to cook. I love going out to try something and then trying to replicate (or improve) it at home. So, it's not often that I have a strange meal because I'm open to trying everything 3 times.
1. the first time you are probably hesitant and judgment may be clouded by a preconceived notion.
2. the second time, you might not be in it 100% after the first attempt, so lets clear our minds and try it again.
3. the third time should be the deal sealer. Your true honest opinion. yes or no.

Being said, there are only a handful of foods I feel this way toward, and my 3 attempts rule has gotten me to like a great deal of veggies I previously avoided. sauté onions and I will now eat them by the forkful, where I would pick them out of everything regardless of how small chopped they were. Back to topic: I still find oysters very strange. Have tried them raw, fried, and chargilled (all in new Orleans over various visits) and still just don't like the texture at all! AND softshell crab. I don't care if the shell is soft, I still don't feel right about eating it. That and the murkey grey/green innards of a shellfish. I've tried some dishes at restaurants that incorporate that matter into a rice or couscous to stuff into mushrooms or shells and no thank you!

MMM stuffed mushrooms do sound pretty good. Ive never made that before, maybe it's time I give it a go.

Happy Friday All!!!
Old 03-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #493

i will be experimenting with new foods as well....

to a point. I want to try jicama (for example)cooked and raw. I love seafood, but never cooked it. Oysters are out for me. Even if I liked them, it would be overkill. They ARE after all an Aphrodisiac! The Aphrodisiac is already a component of Ferenghi genes. Those 2 weeks of idleness cost me dearly. I just came back from Shoprite. I am totally shaggers. I feel like I lost over 10 lbs. After i read the instruction booklet last night, my heart sank. I had no surface area to put it while in use. Well, I solved the problem owing to the oft sung FERENGHI INGENUITY. Shoprite had thin metal ovenliners, 2 to a pack. Together they measure 1/4" thick. I just measured it. Enough insulation between IT and the wooden dinette table, methinks. The kitchen counter is just not wide enough, It IS a very small hovel...but, it's MY hovel. I got the wings. I could have gotten much larger ones, but they would not fit. I also got myself a $.99 green plastic derby to wear on Sunday. I had nothing in the house that was green except frozen broccoli. Now I'm gonna put my groceries away. Oh, lest we forget: BEWARE THE IDES OF MARCH FF
Old 03-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #494
Senior LCF Member

FF I thought that to myself today too!!! Beware...
Old 03-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #495
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, i wouldn't leave that oven on unwatched in the apt if there is supposed to be clearance between it and a wood table...better to be safe than sorry...

britt, so your strangest meal was an oyster?...hmmm...you are more normal than i thought! :-)

abs, next friday night i am having dinner at nicola's italian restaurant in keene...have you ever been there?...we are meeting my buddy from brattleboro and his wife...i think nicola worked for my friend before he opened the restaurant...i've never been, but we've talked about going for years...

great workout at the gym today...i will skip tomorrow and go on sunday and then i leave for nashville on monday...it will be a short trip as i will be back on thursday for my son's wrestling banquet...i am a bit apprehensive about missing gym time while i am gone...i think there is a workout center at my apt complex and i will use it if they have some decent equipment...

today:
b: skipped
l: turkey chili
d: grilled skirt steak (yum!) and steamed broccoli
Old 03-16-2013, 01:26 AM   #496
Major LCF Poster!

Good Morning Blitzers! Happy Saint Patrick's weekend! I'm Irish so have to start celebrating early. No green beer for me though.

Tony, I have never been to Nicola's but I think my sister Laura and her husband went there last year and really liked it. Hope you have a good trip to Nashville on Monday. I think of you first thing at work in the morning. Most days we start with country music. It gets the day off to a good start. Now the rap they play later in the day .... My supervisor ( the 22 year old) always wears an orange tennesee hat. He does not look right if he occasionally comes in without it. I told him if anything ever happens to it I know a songwriter who goes to Nashville alot and maybe he would pick him up a new one.

FF, we had a rotiserie counter grill years ago and the base it sat in broke shipping it back from Germany where we had bought it. We made the mistake of sitting the metal base on the kitchen counter and it melted it. I would maybe put extra insulation under those metal trays like several oven mitts? I think the metal will transfer alot of heat against the wood table top.

Britt, when we were kids and our parents would make oyster stew they would only allow us to have 2 oysters each as they were so expensive. So of course we loved them. Other than stew I don't care for them. DH loves them battered and fried but not me.

Marilee, how have you been doing? Is Phoenix having nice weather this week? Hope you get out on that beautiful patio this weekend and enjoy it.

Another snow storm brewing for the beginning of the week. They aren't sure yet how it will progress.

Have a wonderful Saturday Blitzers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Irish Blessing.jpg (34.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 03-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #497

i will be in the same room while the oven is on.

I will disconnect, the second there is a problem. My friend has it on a wooden surface. He has had it for 2 months already. He and the wooden surface are fine. Wonderful opera matinee today. Gonna have some minestrone soup for dinner later. ERIN GO BRAGH everyone! FF
Old 03-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #498
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, tomorrow is the BIG day when you christen your oven...can't wait for all the juicy details!

abs, i'd be happy to pick up a tennessee hat whenever you want me to - just let me know...now that you mention it, i think you told me about your sister eating at nicola's before...i still haven't made it there, but it looks like it's gonna happen this time...

i think it was getting hot in phoenix - was supposed to be 93 a day or two ago...where has marilee been?...

good day today, gym tomorrow and then a few days in nashvegas...watching "juno" with emmy right now...what a good movie!
Old 03-17-2013, 01:29 AM   #499
Major LCF Poster!

Marilee is probably out relaxing on her patio having a cool drink!

Britt, what have you been doing this weekend?

FF, looks like you have the safety issued covered. Sounds like these ovens are pretty well insulated which is good. I can smell those turkey wings cooking all the way up here in NH!

Tony, when I said that about the hat he chuckled and said he could always order one from an sec apparel store. But thanks for the offer. I knew you would do that in a heartbeat! Hope you have some good inspirations going for you on this trip to Nashville!

Made a boiled dinner last night in honor of St. Patrick's Day today. Steamed potatoes, carrots, onions and cabbage with a baked ham on the side. DH likes to put vinegar on the veggies. He is not a fan of corned beef so I substitute with ham.

Hope you all have a great Saint Patricks Day and even if you are not Irish wear a little green. I will make you invisible to the leprechauns and you won't get pinched!
Old 03-17-2013, 08:19 AM   #500
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

my mother used to like boiled dinners and made them occasionally when i was a kid, but i never got into them...not crazy about ham - too salty - and have never tried corned beef or even pastrami for that matter...i used to mash the boiled potatoes and put butter on them - that was about all i liked...now i will contradict myself by saying that i like the big cold hams that you cut hunks off of - not the kind you bake - the ones that usually have a bone in them...like it plain or with mustard - go figure!

abs, i'm gonna take a WILD guess here and bet you had some scrambled eggs and bacon this morning...am i close to being right?...

ff is probably excitedly prepping his turkey wings right now...how long will they take to cook?...will they be tender, or crispy or both?...will the wooden table ignite into flames?...so much drama and intrigue over a sunday meal...i can hardly wait to hear all about it!

the gym will be a part of my day today unless i decide to rest instead...did a lot of work yesterday at the building and then up in maine as my 17-year-old son and i drove up there to check on the cottage...the interior was fine and the new roof the boys put on looked perfect, but several sections of our old picket fence was blown down...and some debris was scattered around the yard from the trees...actually, there were trees fallen over all around the area so we were lucky, as well as roof shingles blown off other houses...

well, not sure what is on the menu today, although breakfast was 1 hb egg white and some water...

hope everyone has a great, on-plan day!...

p.s. in case anyone cares to join me, i am giving myself a 5-lb. challenge starting tomorrow...since i won't be near a scale on weds in nash, i will weigh-in in the a.m. on monday and then try to lose 5 lbs. in two weeks...as much as i am working out and eating well, i have a lot of extra fat i need to drop and i need some kinda incentive to jump start some weight loss...dinner next week at nicola's on friday and my annual sibling lunch next saturday will really make this challenge a CHALLENGE! :-)
Old 03-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #501
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

where the heck is everyone?...

well, i DID go to the gym and had a very rigorous, extra-long workout today...i pushed myself cuz i won't be back in the gym until friday...i will exercise in my apt on tues and wed night, but it won't be the same...

today:
b: 1 hb egg white
l: salad with evoo, vinegar and feta
d: 2 chili dogs

i may have limited access to post this week, but i'll try...keep posting, kids!
Old 03-18-2013, 12:50 AM   #502
Major LCF Poster!

Tony, have a safe trip to Nashville! I will take you up on the 5lbs in 2 weeks challenge. That will be Monday April 1st. How in the world did you guess bacon and eggs for Sunday breakfast?

Just cooked a hamburger to take to work for lunch. Going to try to keep it simple this week. I have not been eating enough beef and eating too much other stuff.

How was everyone's weekend?

Have a great Monday all!
Old 03-18-2013, 07:19 AM   #503

wings at the speed of

chewing and swallowing. experience will be my best guide, as the recipes in the booklet are not my thing. I had beginners luck. I will be starting a thread somewhere in LCF for those of us who use this product and its clone-the Nu-Wave oven. Thus we will be able to compare notes, share info and recipes. I have enough wings to last me the rest of the week. It is not just the wing but the drumstick to which it is attached. I wore my green derby all day yesterday. I thought my roof was leaking. It was the perspiration. Plastic makes one's head sweat. I still prefer saute-ing my veggies in the non-stick saute pan. That is not work. It is fun. When I get back from my (earth)bro and sis house (Mon-Wed a.m. 3/25/13-3/27/23), I will go a- hunting for the perfect porterhouse. FF
Old 03-18-2013, 08:19 AM   #504
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey gang, I am at the Baltimore airport and have access so I thought I'd check in...everything is on time and Sarah is picking me up in Nashville...we are having dinner with a friend of hers from the hospital so that will be nice...

Ff, so how did the wings turn out?...your review was certainly underwhelming...maybe your brain turned to mush under that plastic hat yesterday. ;-)

Abs, hopefully we will both lose 5...I am starting at 226, so my goal by the first will be 221...good luck, girl...sorry I am gonna miss tonight's storm, but it is supposed to be raining with hail today in Nash, so I can't really gloat....

Hope the boy didn't cannibalize britt in his (and hers) sleep... :-)

Marilee, you gettin in on the 5 lb. challenge?
Old 03-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #505
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/336.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
Hi all! Sorry I've been MIA....my computer at home will be fixed (hopefully) on Saturday. Work gets crazy and I can't always check in.

Yes, put me down for the 5 pounds challenge in two weeks.

Britt, I'm a 3-time food taster myself, and for exactly the same reasons. Consequently, I love most foods. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

Have fun Tony!!!!! ff, I hope your new oven works out ok for you. Hi Abi!!!

I gotta run. TTYL
Old 03-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #506
Senior LCF Member

Marilee- It's a blessing and a curse. I have to admit, whenever my family plans to have a fancy dinner out, or a new restaurant opens (which isn't too often, a lot of the same ole same ole it with chain restaurants) I spend time on their website perusing the menus and planning what I want. It's fun.

Nobody cannibalized me, luckily. But now I have a new fear, so thank you for that!

Saturday we went out with my brother and sister in law for an early St Patty's Day. We figured plenty of bars would have stuff going on, since like most sensible working adults we had no desire to bar it up on a Sunday evening. Unfortunately the destination was hosting a UFC fight so we were the only leprechauns there. I didn't have a green shirt, but I do have a sock that has clovers on it and stitching that reads "lucky sock" so I tucked that into my pocket. We hung out there for a few rounds, then went home and proceeded to turn my living room into a night club. They don't get an overnight babysitter too often, but the migraine I recovered from on Sunday was proof that I can no longer party like it's 1999 (not that I did much then either).

We had made our corned beef and cabbage a few days ago, so we've been munching on that meal for a little while already. BUT we stocked up on briskets since they are so cheap right now and we can keep eating deliciousness for a while. I crockpot mine with the seasoning packet and some bullion, onions right away, a little cabbage and potatoes. pull the potatoes out when they are done and add the majority of the cabbage just before the meat is done. Then we eat it like a soup. My mom always makes it this way since I was little, and for some reason it doesn't hold the same charm when it's laid out on a plate instead of a bowl. An Ex told me once that I make it wrong since his mom does the plate style. Those were fighting words!

FF- please post when/where you start your thread. I'm a nu-wave owner so I'd participate in that post too!

Tony- have a safe trip! The Following is on tonight!
Old 03-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #507
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Britt, no tv in Nash so I will watch this weeks the following when I get back on Thursday...I'd tie a bell to the boys toe and sleep with one eye open if I were you!...haha!

Good to see you, Marilee, and happy you are joining abs and me on the challenge...we r gonna drop 15 lbs of fat between us!

Great day...spent it with Sarah...met her friend for Mexican food...wonder where Artemis has been?
Old 03-19-2013, 02:48 AM   #508
Major LCF Poster!

Just found out we are having a snow day - no work today! Thank goodness! We have about 6inches so far and it is still coming down. Sure did not want to drive in that. Of course, now I will have to get out there and shovel. There is always a down side. Boy, Tony, you got out of town just in time!

Just cooked up some ground beef to take for lunch so will go ahead and eat it now for breakfast! lol

I will check back later! Have a great Tuesday Blitzers!
Old 03-19-2013, 07:31 AM   #509
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/336.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
Abi, how nice to have a snow day! I wish we got "sun" days in the summer. It's going to be around 83 today - beautiful!
Old 03-19-2013, 08:34 AM   #510
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Marilee! I am really enjoying the day! Like getting an extra Saturday! Just piddling around, doing wash etc. DH was able to get the snowblower going so I didn't have to do too much shoveling. I will have to go a little later and clear the end of the drive again where the plow has been pushing snow as it goes by.

Glad you are joining Tony's 5 lb 2 week challenge!

Wonder how FF is enjoying his new oven? It sounds like he cooked up a boat load of turkey wings/legs but didn't give us the run down on how well it worked. FF?

Britt, your crockpot brisket recipe sounds delicious! Glad you had that lucky sock in your pocket!

Talk to you all later!
Closed Thread