Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #421
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/227.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
ff, i can't even imagine what will happen if indeed he made the mistake i fear he made...

today:
b: meatball
l: hot dogs and beans
d: tuna salad

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2013, 01:57 AM   #422
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Oh Tony, I hope and pray your accountant did not make a mistake. We have always had money problems (hence me working two and for awhile three jobs the last 10 years in Alabama). It is not fun. It is comforting to me when all the family seems to be doing ok financially and that includes my lc family.

The recipe for Black Bean Salsa is

I can of black beans drained and rinsed
I can of shoe peg corn drained
2 cans of rotel tomatoes and green chilis ( I use mild) Do not drain
I bunch of green onions chopped
1/2 cup of chopped cilantro (or as much as you like)

mix all together and most times I buy scoop chips for the family but I don't mind just eating it as a side dish like a relish.

My sister in law from Georgia first made it for us years ago. She added some newmans olive oil and vinegar dressing to hers but I never do. It tastes great as is. I used to make it for my custodial staff at the resort for all their birthdays. Most of them were hispanic and they called it pico de gallo. One sweet lady named Maria liked it very hot so I would bring a can of the hot rotel and she would scoop it and mix it with the regular recipe.

It is also a very pretty dish to look at.

FF, where are going to be on Monday and Tuesday? Did you say those were the two days a week you are going to be working at the podiatrist office? Can't wait to get your reports on the oven!

Regular schedule for today. Church, breakfast at the backside, visit with "father in law", maybe a stop at the store. I have some ground beef and sweet Italian sausage so may make Linda Sues meat balls later.

Hope you all have a relaxing Sunday.

Last edited by Abigale; 03-03-2013 at 02:00 AM..
Old 03-03-2013, 02:59 AM   #423
Major LCF Poster!

I debated whether to share this story with you all.

Afew weeks ago my friend Diane said she had had a dream about my mother who passed away a year ago March 9th. She said Mom looked very good. Diane had said "hello Charlotte" and my mother had smiled at her. Later in the week my brother and his wife had their annual snow shoe party and I had taken 22 photos. The first photo I took was of my younger sister. While at the party I told both of my sisters about Diane's dream and said "I never have dreams about Mom". The next morning I downloaded my photos to my computer and lo and behold, the first picture was of Mom! It was one of my favorite photos that I had taken on Mother's Day in 2009 and I had made the corsage she was wearing. I took a picture of my computer screen to show the family. I was just amazed. Can't explain how that happen but what a treat!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 022.jpg (29.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 023.jpg (30.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (52.3 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Abigale; 03-03-2013 at 03:01 AM..
Old 03-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #424
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
i got shot down for Tuesday.

no big deal. I will try for Friday, or some other no precipitation day. Tomorrow I shall try to resurrect my hopes for the part time job. If not there, I will find something, somewhere, sometime. Fortunately, I will have $ from the soc sec and pension. It is all about not sinking into permanent sloth mode. FF
Old 03-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #425
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

abi, thanks for sharing that story...your mom was such a lovely person and i know she would do anything she could to let you know she is watching over you...you were so good to her... :-) thanks for the recipe...sounds yummy and i love the tostito's multigrain scoop chips - unfortunately...i have 4 or 5 chips once a week or so but it is HARD limiting it!

abs, when you come from working class families like we do, you learn that as long as you're healthy and can work hard, you'll survive, so i'm not gonna let this drive me crazy...it would really suck though!... :-)

ff, so is the job not there?...i applaud you for having the oomph to want to continue to work...i know i've asked you this before, but are you a baseball fan?...do you ever go to a game?...

good day today...good gym workout this morning...
b: skipped
l: baked haddock
d: roast beef and cheese

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 03-04-2013, 12:50 AM   #426
Major LCF Poster!

Tony, thanks for the kind words about Mom. I remember so well your reaction to her passing and the beautiful words to your song "Can You Feel It". You are a great friend and I hope this financial thing works out for the best. You are so right about us working class people. I am so thankful I can get around and work still!

Concerning the salsa, it really is good without the chips! It's rather carby with the corn and beans though.

FF, let us know asap if you will definitely be working at the foot dr.s office! So is it supposed to rain or snow tomorrow? ugh

Have a wonderful Monday Blitzers!
Old 03-04-2013, 06:56 AM   #427
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey abs, your mom was so sweet and although i never met her, i felt like i had gotten to know her through your daily postings about her, so i felt a loss when she passed away...but see, she's still here! :-)

the accountant called this morning and in his preliminary review, it looks like he did not make a mistake and that we should be receiving a refund rather than owing anything...he says he still has to cross his t's and dot his i's so i will not really relax until that is done, but it is looking more hopeful than it did all weekend...i'm not gonna exhale yet though...

gym off-day today but have lots to do...hope everyone has a great monday and i will check in later...
Old 03-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #428
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BlondieBlue
Stats: 208.4/200.8/199
WOE: Atkins/Low Carb
Start Date: 1/3/2012- restarting 1/29/2013
It's Monday AGAIN?! ugh.... I like my couch too much... I had a very lazy weekend watching movies all weekend. I've gotten addicted to Gossip Girl on the Netflix. I watched the first few episodes back when it started, but then worked an extra part time job for about 2 years so I missed a lot of TV circa 2007-2008.

Tony I'm glad to hear you're enjoying The Following!!! It's definitely an intense show. I have a "penpal" from high school (an extra credit thing) from Ireland, we've stayed in touch for 10+ years since then. He's in England now and he's also hooked on The Following. International appeal lol

Abi, that's such a beautiful occurrence, finding a surprise photo of your mom. My mom hates to be in pictures (me too) and I always worry that if anything happened to her, I'd have no photos of her. With the addition of my nephew to the family now, she's in more pictures because she's usually holding him.

I'm excited for hair day tomorrow. This week is going to go by pretty quick with everything going on. Hopefully this weekend we'll make it to the Ren Faire. Before it gets too hot. bleh.

FF- we need a play by play of the oven christening!
Old 03-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #429
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

britt, we're still hoping for photos of the hair extensions...maybe tomorrow? :-)

good day today - mostly a sigh of relief kinda day after this morning's call from our accountant...although he still has not given me a 100% "okay"...

today:
l: bk cheeseburger
d: steak and haddock

dw made 2 banana breads on sunday and i have not even tasted a bite, but i hacked one in half this morning and brought it to my daughter emmy at college - had a brief, but nice visit and i got some great hugs so i'm happy :-)

how is everyone else doing?...ff?...marilee?...vicki?...so far, it's the abi, britt and tony show today...haha!
Old 03-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #430

quite an unusual day.

went to foot dr. thank the Gods, it is in a great neighborhood. I have not been in that area for about 40 years. He does not handle office business. I have to call the office mgr, who is off-site. I did. I left a message on her voice mail. No reply. I will try again tomorrow. Abi, even those of us who are NOT HEWMON, must wait...and wait....and wait....It is like trying to leave Casablanca (in the movie). I will wait too, before going to AC. I want to resolve all pending issues re: job, pension, soc sec before I commit approx $150.00 to a day of sordid pleasure. I told my friend NOT to bring the oven on Wed, because we are expecting a big Nor'easter. Friday, the weather will be clear, so Fri will be the day. Just before I logged on, I got a call from a friend of mine from whom I have not heard for nearly a year. Thank the Gods, she is well. Her dog died. That really unhinged her. Also, retirement did to her what retirement is in danger of doing to me...Bad sleeping patterns, and sloth. Job, or no job..on those days that are not raining,this troll will get dressed and walk. We have benches outside, so when my feet hurt, I can sit down for a minute or 2. Also, bus and trainfare just went up. So, whatever i can save by walking will go towards Vegas in Early Dec. FF
Old 03-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #431
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, maybe you should start walking towards vegas so you will arrive there in early december... :-)
Old 03-05-2013, 02:11 AM   #432
Major LCF Poster!

FF, I am hoping that nor easter forcast is wrong! Sorry you could not get a hold of the podiatrist yet. Good attitude to plan on walking on good weather days!

Tony, I am so hoping your ac has his ducks in a row now and that everything is ok with your finances! Sweet of you to bring Emmy some banana bread and get to visit with her for awhile.

I am so excited. Not only will we fly to Missouri for Mother's Day weekend and oldest grandchild's graduation but DD told me last night they plan to drive out in July while I am on the plant shut down vacation! Last year they didn't make it so it will be two years since the rest of family has seen the kids.

Britt, yes it was a wonderful surprise! Thanks for the comments! Can't wait to see your hair pictures. Take a before and after if you can!

Today free lunch is make your own sandwich day. It will cold cuts, lettuce and tomato, and buns. I just made some cheese rounds to use as my bread. Don't know how they will taste but easier than trying to eat cold cuts with a plastic knife and fork.http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...se-rounds.html

Marilee, how is going for you? Have you heard anything from Vicki this week?

Have a wonderful Tuesday Blitzers!

Last edited by Abigale; 03-05-2013 at 02:13 AM..
Old 03-05-2013, 04:27 AM   #433
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

abs, it's looking better on the accounting front, thank goodness!...i am sooo happy you will get to see your family both in missouri and at home this year...that is soooo awesome!...
Old 03-05-2013, 06:50 AM   #434
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/342.4/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
Hey everyone. I've been reading all of your posts but haven't taken the time to write.

Tony, I'm glad to hear that your accounting issue may not be as bad as you thought. I, too, hate money things.

Abi, that's great news about seeing your family! You will have a wonderful time, I know.

ff, it looks like you are going through the adjustment period of retirement. I know everyone thinks it would be wonderful and all that, but it is hard to keep motivated and not turn into a sloth. I sure hope you get the job at the podiatrists office.

Britt, how did your hair turn out? Can't wait to see.

Nope, I haven't heard from Vicki in a while. From what I see on FB, she is still unpacking and getting settled in their new home.

I have good news to report....since I restarted my eating plan on 2/11, I've lost 12 pounds. Not too shabby for 3 weeks work.

The landscapers came by yesterday and we can salvage most of my plants except for the bouganvillea...they are in question. On Monday, they will come and do a trim and clean up and deep fertilize and, hopefully, that will stir everyting on.

Better get to work. Take care!

Marilee
Old 03-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #435

Tony, u may be correct.

I got a compass from my last pack of Krackerjacks in 1964. The needle points west, which is the general direction of Vegas fom my point of view. I am so relieved about the acct. news. No appetite lately, and enjoying my plain water. I got in touch with podiatrist's office mgr. She will get back to me before day's end. (and the check is in the mail). FF
Old 03-05-2013, 02:17 PM   #436
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

great to hear from you, marilee, and a huge CONGRATS on the 12 lbs. - that is awesome and you are not ever gaining those 12 lbs. back - not this time, girl!...i know this is your year!...good luck with the plants...

haha, ff...i really hope you get the job...

no gym today so i will go in the morning...

today:
l: caesar salad with grilled salmon
d: veal chop with roasted sweet potato
Old 03-05-2013, 10:58 PM   #437

Nor-easter on the way.

Going out tomorrow early before the rain/snow arrives. It is 1:54 a.m., and not sleepy. I will give it another try in a few minutes. I did 4 litres of plain water today, plus some diet soda and crystal lite (the red flavors). I had no coffee at all, today. I have the same container of black coffee for 3 days already, and it is still 1/2 full. Coffee has no expiration date. Can't think of anything new. Talk to y'all later today. FF
Old 03-06-2013, 12:44 AM   #438
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Birthday Britt!!

Hope you have a wonderful day!

Using the large cheese rounds yesterday for make your own sandwich at work were "ok". The sandwich held together but the texture when the rounds are cold is kind of mealy. I would use them again if we have the sandwiches again. This week and next the company restaurant will not be able to provide lunch so we are using some companies in the area as we have in the last year. Next Tues. will be pizza they say.

Well, I had my 60 day review and all was still well.

Weather reports from everyone at work were all over the map from a dusting to a foot of snow tonight. Alot of variables. I am not looking forward to any of it. So ready for spring.

Marilee, kutgw !! 12 pounds is fantastic! Glad your patio plants are still in good shape for the most part. Sometime we need to see photos when everything looks just right.

FF, being home is one of the best things when you are planning on taking in alot of liquids! I am glad also there is no expiration date on coffee! lol

Tony, what are you up to today? What are they saying about your weather on the other side of the state?

Hope you all have a terrific Wed. Blitzers!

Last edited by Abigale; 03-06-2013 at 12:45 AM..
Old 03-06-2013, 04:39 AM   #439
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BRITT!!!!!...you are leading the way on this three-birthday stretch!...:birthday ::birthday :...let us know how you plan to celebrate!

abs, i have no idea how much rain/snow we're gonna get - the weatherpeople seem totally confused...i'm hoping it holds off as i have some work to do at the building today...gonna temporarily fill some potholes that are developing as it's too cold to patch them, and have to get rid of the rest of the "fir greens" in the window boxes and planters...

ff, stop wishing winter on us, will ya?...

no idea what i will cook tonight - i hope i get inspired sometime today :-)

Last edited by tony8; 03-06-2013 at 04:40 AM..
Old 03-06-2013, 06:36 AM   #440

Happy Birthday, Blondieblue!

I know you will have a wonderful day, or had one if my wishes are late. I went to SHOPRITE this a.m. to get some last minute items and get home before the rain/snow begins. When I am following plan, I go up all the aisles, especially the high carb ones in a spirit of defiance. However, absolutely nothing tempted me, today. I got some extra sharp cheddar (not Kraft, this time, sigh), some liquids, and some non-food items. All the St Patrick, Easter and Passover goodies were in every aisle, and wherever they could be displayed. It may as well have been decaying rats. Nothing tempted me. Perhaps the metformin is kicking in. Anyway, it is a gift from the Gods. I am eating ONLY when hungry.And, I am averaging 4 litres of plain ice water daily, and GRADUAlly cutting down the joe. GIBBY, congratulations on your progress. I knew it would happen. I DID manage to get in about an hour of shuteye. But, I feel vibrant!
Old 03-06-2013, 07:05 AM   #441
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Happy birthday, Britt! :bi rthday:

Knowing you, you will celebrate it in style!
Old 03-06-2013, 09:34 AM   #442
Senior LCF Member

Thank you all SO much for the birthday wishes!!! You all know how to make a girl feel speshul

My work sent out a blast email to everyone in the office this morning and when I got in, my office is decorated. AWE!

And when I went thru the Dutch Bros drive thru this morning for coffee, they triple stamped my card so my next coffee is free. And it's Wingsday, and it's American Idol day, and I get to do both with awesome hair. That's probably the extent of my celebrating lol

My "hair model" hair do went well yesterday, best cut and color I've ever gotten and I will probably continue to see the same girl (she did get hired after our "audition") I told her about the extensions and she said she'd be happy to help me color them, she's done it before for clients so it matches the dye she's done on their actual hair. Needless to say, I haven't devoted much time at all to practicing putting them in. I will though, I promise!!!

Marilee- YIPEE!!! 12 pounds is so good!!!

FF- I know the sloth feeling, it's like a drug having the freedom to do anything but doing nothing sounds like the best idea, and 1 day turns into 1 week, etc... This is how I am whenever I have a few days off Good for you staying motivated to be out and about! I could never give up the coffee. I have cut back my caffeine addiction substantially over the years, however.

Keep us posted on the storm weather and snow! Stay safe!
Old 03-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #443
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

britt, that sounds like a great way to spend your b-day...the boy better step up too! :-)

ff, i LOVE your plan!...the cutbacks on caffeine and junk and the increase in water will spell s-u-c-c-e-s-s...

hi marilee, you skinny-minnie, you (I KNOW YOU WILL BE!)

went to the gym and had a great workout and then to work and did a lot of physical labor - i am SOOOOO happy i can do that stuff again without pain!...

it's 2:40 and i haven't eaten a thing yet...it's looking like burgers tonight...see y'all soon...
Old 03-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #444
Senior LCF Member

The Work Family also brought in cupcakes!!! I'm having one. I've only been here 2 months, and a lot of that has been training but I feel so warm and fuzzy

Tony, I have a feeling the boy will not step up. He's never remembered the exact date and I usually go on and on about my upcoming birthday so he can't really get mixed up. But this year we've had so much going on with weddings, and people having babies, and we have a wedding tomorrow to which he has to do the whole rehearsal thing tonight. I adore his friends so even if he "misses" my bday for other things going on, I'm not the type that would stomp my feet and demand attention. It's just another day. So far today he hasn't said anything that would indicate he knows it's my birthday. BUT when I tell him he missed my bday, I hope I get extra presents and guilt goodies! lmao

Between all of you guys, and my awesome co-workers, and my brother and best friend both texting me before I was even awake this morning, I really can't complain an iota. This must be what maturing feels like! I've been wondering when that would kick in...
Old 03-07-2013, 01:35 AM   #445
Major LCF Poster!

Britt, you are so funny. I hope you get alot of extra presents from the boy!

Tony, we are all so happy you can get around and do physical labor when needed! It makes us appreciate what we sometimes take for granted.

FF, so great that the goodies are not tempting you and they could have been "decaying rats" lol I will have to put that image in my head whenever I get tempted!

No snow here yet at 4:30 am. Hoping this continues for the day. Have not looked at the weather report yet. A girl I work with flew to Florida yesterday for a week. She has posted "palm trees, sun and warm weather down there."

Hope you all have a great day!
Old 03-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #446
Senior LCF Member

Boy forgot Bday...

American Idol was fun. I voted and am excited to see the results show tonight. I wasn't hungry last night so I skipped the wings. My mom thought I was crazy to want to sit at home on my birthday, but I enjoyed my evening. I busted out my old Ipod and in between commercials I danced around the house to my old school music. My knee hurts this morning though!

I told boy this morning. I made a joke out of it saying, "I had a dream last night that I made out with Penn Badgley (I've been watching too much Gossip Girl), happy birthday to me!" I watched his face freeze up and eyeballs flit around and then it hit him. He teared up a little which I did not intend to do to him at all.

Short work day today, have to leave early for a wedding which is always fun (leaving work, not the wedding lol).

Happy Friday EVE!!!
Old 03-07-2013, 12:17 PM   #447
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey all, just popping in to say "hey". Nothing new to report.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #448
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

britt, i'm sure you're gonna get lots of guilt-goodies!...tell the boy you have a fat friend who suggests he tattoo your b-day on his wrist! :-)

marilee, what a beautiful sunset!...did you take it?...where is it?...

abs, i will never take walking for granted again - i am so so so so grateful i have my mobility back...i am not supposed to run or jump but without thinking, i jogged across the street yesterday - it felt so GREAT! ;-)

today:
b: 1 scrambled egg
l: hot wings
d: pork chops???
Old 03-07-2013, 03:08 PM   #449
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tony, I wish I had! It was taken the other night here in the Phoenix area (Mesa, to be exact). One of the newspapers posts photos that people takeon their website and I loved this one. The desert can be very beautiful.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:25 AM   #450
Major LCF Poster!

Well it is snowing pretty steady and looks like about 2 inches so far. Hoping the roads are clear or at least not slippery.

Britt, can't wait to hear of all the gifts boy will have to buy you! Glad you had a nice relaxing evening.

Tony, how is the weather on the other side of the state? Wow, jogging? That is amazing!

Marilee, that really is a beautiful photo. You and Britt must love living in Arizona!

FF, what kind of weather are you getting in NY?

I have made tuna salad for lunch and have one cheese round left so may pack that for 9am break time.

Wish me luck on the drive to work!
Closed Thread