Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 09:37 PM   #691
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Doxymom
Stats: 162/162/125
WOE: LC
Start Date: 2/5/13
So is that the plan? Start a new one and let this one go?
Doxymom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2013, 04:51 AM   #692
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/138/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
I think that may be the answer Brandi. What do you think? This original thread was a challenge thread, 30 days binge free. I think that some people left because they felt like they weren't living up to the challenge. That only serves to make us feel like we have failed. If we eliminate the challenge maybe those folks will come back? Maybe the last thing we need is another standard to live up to, and if we can't or don't for whatever reason that just adds to the self loathing and and binge cycle?
It would be great to create a thread with a title that doesn't necessarily challenge as much as support. Take it off the challenge board and put it in the addiction support area. Or maybe even create a challenge thread that has nothing to do with binging. Maybe a thread that challenges us to find one positive in our day- each and every day. It doesn't even have to be about food or wt- just one thing that we take a way from each day that doesn't make us feel like we have failed? So maybe the new thread wouldn't be so much about the negative things in our lives but celebrating the positive...
What do you think?

Goals for 2014

Remain food-sane 1 day at a time
Continue with yoga
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:42 AM   #693
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
The juddd grop has a thread celebrating non scale victories. It ia very poqerful. How about a NFV threas in the addiction support area. I went ahead and started a thread but could not figure out how to link it from my phone. It is calle Non scale non food victories.

Last edited by cici52; 04-27-2013 at 07:09 AM..
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:29 AM   #694
Senior LCF Member

Ok Lisa you are right. The challenge part should go. We definitely don't need something else to make us feel we've failed.

Cici, NSV victories kinda scares me to be honest. I feel like I don't have anything to contribute. (how sad!) Does that mean we will not be discussing the binge eating? Or am I misunderstanding?

I know there are many people who have lurked and followed us. Like me, I think the 30day binge challenge title was appealing because the idea of support, comraderie, and a finite amount of time was appealing and doable. I also thought I would get accountability, but what I actually got was so much more. How can we make it so others who struggle like us can find us? Or are you guys thinking we should go in another direction completely?
Old 04-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #695
Major LCF Poster!

I think if the thread is in the addiction support area then we can have options. We don't have to abandon this thread- it has been a lifesaver for me but we can also take the focus off of food for those who are really struggling to find something to celebrate. Does that make sense?

Cici thanks for starting the other thread!
Old 04-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #696
Major LCF Poster!

I noticed another binge eating support thread in the addiction group. It was very helpful reading and had some different ideas than we had here. Some of the same people. Some additional contributors.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #697
Senior LCF Member

Starting over

I have been thinking about this thread and I think I do need a challenge. So I am starting my 30 day challenge again today. My goal today is to eat 3 normal meals and not binge after dinner. That's all. I am not thinking I won't eat carbs or eat only on a specific plan, just that I will not overeat. I am trying to be not so harsh on myself (per doctors orders!). I have done nothing but GAIN WEIGHT since I stopped counting the days. So even if nobody is here anymore I still feel accountable if I post here. I will report back daily!

Brandi
Old 04-30-2013, 10:09 AM   #698
Major LCF Poster!

I will join you, Brandi. I could use the accountablility but it just seemed like nobody was coming here any more. Actually, I have already binged this morning. A morning binge is very outside my norm. But instead of blowing off the whole day, I will start from now and call this Day 1.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:07 AM   #699
Senior LCF Member

Woo Hoo Cici!!! We can do this!!!
Old 04-30-2013, 03:42 PM   #700
Major LCF Poster!

Good for you Ladies
Old 04-30-2013, 05:36 PM   #701
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 148
Start Date: Jan 2001
I am binge free today.
I am grateful that I am me today
I get to eat beautiful food from a rainbow of colors and all different tastes.
I was just listening to a video on the importance of getting the six basic types of tastes in our foods or we will start to crave the ones we don't
The six tastes if I can remember are sour, salty, astringent, pungent, sweet and bitter. There is a 7th called umami that I am still trying to figure out. Maybe umami is what is in meat, etc or that which is hearty or savory.
And the seven colors od the rainbow being violet, indigo, blue, green, red, orange, yelow
Do we get all our tastes and colors each day? I am fascinated by this.

Some say there are psitive and negative feelings associated to the colors.
Negative Positive
Violet - Boredom Surprise
Indigo - Disgust Admiration
Blue - Hostility Peace
Green - Fear Trust
Yellow - Grief Joy
Orange - Shame Pride
Red - Anger Love

What would happen if I were to eat all the colors and tastes of the rainbow each day? would I have more positive feelings? Would I lose weight naturally without a battle? Would I no longer want to binge?

MaryMary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:30 PM   #702
Major LCF Poster!

Finished the day strong. Did not try to compensate for the binge by restricting. Just had a green smoothy for lunch and hearty soup for dinner.

Mary, that is quite interesting. I also explored these same things a while back due to an interest in Indian cooking and Ayurvedic medicine. It is nice to be reminded of them. I think you are correct about umami being savory. I think there is also a mouth feel to it, but not sure. I associate it with mushrooms and nutritional yeast. It surprises me that each color evokes both emotions like a yin/yang thing, or maybe I misunderstand and they act as a path from one emotion to another.

Today I looked into spices/herbs that can be of aid to weight loss efforts. Happily, most are already right in my cupboard as they also are used in Indian cooking. Put several to more concentrated use today. Whether they aid weight loss or not, they are all warming and anti-inflammitory and full of good stuff. Think I will mix up some complimentory blends to add to each meal.

Cinnamon
kelp
garlic
chili pepper
black pepper
cayenne
mustard seed
turmeric
ginger
cardamom
cumin
dandelion
Old 04-30-2013, 10:41 PM   #703
Senior LCF Member

So my "witching hour" is between 8pm and 10pm or so it seems. I do fine all day, eat a good dinner, then the cravings kick in. I did not give in to them tonight! I sipped some decaf and got through it. Being accountable here helped so much.

Day 1 binge free!!!

Brandi
Old 05-01-2013, 05:25 AM   #704
Blabbermouth!!!

Brandi, in the beginning when I was first establishing a pattern of no binging, I had to get away from the kitchen, so I would go to my bedroom, read a book, have a cup of tea, take a bath or long hot shower, pray, but what I wouldn't do is go back near the kitchen.It worked for me.

Cici, thanks for sharing the info on the spices. I have had dandelion tea. My doctor told me it is good for healing the liver and drank it just before bed when our bodies do most of the self-healing. It tastes sort of like black tea without the caffeine. I didn't know I could use it as a flavoring in food. But when I was a kid around 7 or 8 in the 50's, I used to dig up dandelions with my mother's help, clean them and sell them to my neighbors for 25 cents a bag. They were steamed and served with vinegar or butter just like kale. We lived across from a park and there were always tons of them this time of year.

Today, I commit to no binging.
I am grateful it is the first of May, beautiful sunshine again. I am blessed.
I am buying a rake, some flowers and adding some beauty to my daughter's apt.
I am grateful for a thoughtful husband and kind daughter.

Today, to find alternate behaviors to replace the thought of binging, I will
Take a walk along the beach here in Cape Cod
Start a new novel.
Plant some beautiful flowers.
Revisit the Eddie Bauer store and check out the clearance rack again. Yesterday I returned one pair because they were too baggy and found a pair of dress jeans for work, size 8, marked down from 69.95 to 22.50. They fit perfectly.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 05-01-2013, 06:54 AM   #705
Major LCF Poster!

Good job, Brandi. Here we go for Day 2.

Mary, I can see the novelist in you. You paint lovely pictures with your words. I actually never thought about dandilion beyond eating the greens or tea.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #706
Major LCF Poster!

Challenge du jour was not snacking between meals. Happily made it through the afternoon and am starting dinner shortly. Did check the fridge light a couple times. It is working just fine.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #707
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120/118-123
WOE: JUDDD
I will like to join you on the new challenge. I was binge-free for 6 days and today I totally blew it. Starting day 1 tomorrow again.
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #708
Major LCF Poster!

Jump right in.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #709
Senior LCF Member

Welcome!

Tobelowcarber welcome!

Made it through day 2, barely, but although my food choices weren't the best, there was no binge. Hoping today is better.

Mary, thanks for your suggestions. I will give 'em a try!

Brandi

Last edited by Doxymom; 05-02-2013 at 09:53 AM..
Old 05-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #710
Major LCF Poster!

No binge but did have a late snack/meal of oatmeal. It was 5 hours after dinner and I was genuinely hungry. I am trying to limit eating to mealtime. Have been staying up later since getting off PHD and think this is why I am hungry before bed again. Also am out of pterostilbene supplement which also might be a factor. Will be happy when I am back to PHD and sleeping well. Right now too many ETL foods left in the house. Can't afford to throw them out.

I was watching a program on the role of yeast overgrowth in gut issues and resulting health problems throughout the whole body. Although not specifically advertized as antifungal, The PHD WOE is largely composed of antifungal foods with a couple exceptions, and I was feeling so much better than any time previously after 3 months. I was not losing weight but believe my gut was not fully healed yet. I switched to ETL hoping to lose weight but ended up not feeling well and verrry bingy. So now I am wondering if systemic fungus is part of the problem. I am curious to know if anybody here suffers from some type of chronic gut problem and have you linked it to your binge behavior. Have you explored fungal overgrowth as possibly contributing?
Old 05-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #711
Blabbermouth!!!

Today I am binge free.
I am grateful to be home and will get to sleep in my own bed tonight.
While I was gone, my DH cleaned my room, bedding, blankets and pillows. He's a keeper.

We planted some flowers at my DD's before we left. Actually, he planted and I pulled up dandelions. Then cooked lunch. We made great time home, no traffice to speak of. Took two hours.

We had no food to speak of in the house as my husband was with me the last 3 days. We stopped at Trader Joe's and picked enough so I could make a salad, cooked some veggies and have some yogurt. While we were checking out, a young TJ Crew Member came up to me with a bouquet of flowers and I looked down and said "Oh! My, aren't they beautiful! So many colors." He said to me "They're for you!" I thought he was kidding. He wasn't. I have to wear this strap around my chin until the doctors says that we are all set and the young fellow wished me a speedy recovery. I couldn't believe it. I was a loyal follower before but today I had tears in my eyes. I just had to share this with you all.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #712
Blabbermouth!!!

Last night when we were taking our walk, my DH saw a seal on the beach I kept asking him where, where? We walked right up to it. He looked up at us and DH thinks the seal was either sick or hurt so we didn't touch it, but did inform a state worker once we got in the car. That worker sounded like he could care less. So we trusted that the seal made it back out to sea when the next tide came in. My niece gave me a phone number that I can use to call if we ever see another one. And they will help.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #713
Major LCF Poster!

Made it through day 3 BFT

That plus Mary's story reminded me of Taps. Remember these lyrics, sitting round the campfire? A sweet memory for me.

Day is done, gone the sun
From the lakes, from the hills, from the sky
All is well, safely rest
God is nigh.

(Wo he lo)
Old 05-03-2013, 08:03 AM   #714
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/134/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
I really need this thread! I have been bingeing a lot lately. Went on vacation April 7-17 and did badly every day. Since coming home, I've had several good days, punctuated with several binges. Yesterday, I did really well all day and last night went to a ladies' function at church...a salad supper. There was a buffet of about 30 different salads...mostly very carby...and dessert. That set me off and I came home and got into more carbs. Today is a 500 calorie fasting day for me (JUDDD) and Sat.-Tues. will be challenging as I'm entertaining on Saturday and out of town Sun.-Tues. I know I can eat cleanly, though...I've done it many times before!

"You must do the thing you think you cannot do." Eleanor Roosevelt

"You can preach a better sermon with your life than with your lips."
Oliver Goldsmith

"Make peace with the past so it won't screw up the present." Regina Britt
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:27 AM   #715
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Friday, 5/3/13 - 1 of 30 days binge-free!

Last edited by shirlc; 05-04-2013 at 07:32 AM..
Old 05-04-2013, 07:37 AM   #716
Blabbermouth!!!

Congrats! Shirl, one day at a time.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #717
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Shirl! Glad you decided to join us.

Four days down. Day 5 underway and no hurdles yet.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #718
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120/118-123
WOE: JUDDD
Day 1 binge-free

Good job Cici and Shirl!
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:18 AM   #719
Senior LCF Member

Hi Everyone!

Made it through days 3,4,5. No bingeing, but now I have got to get on a plan to lose the weight I have put on. I am reading the Carbohydrate Addicts Lifespan Plan. Anybody have any experience with that?

Hi Shirl, nice to see you back!

Brandi
Old 05-05-2013, 05:51 AM   #720
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Saturday, 5/4/13 - 2 of 30 days binge-free!

Thanks for the welcome back! I have been reading these posts every day and I definitely identify with this bingeing problem. I recently started to read "Brain Over Binge" and was thoroughly identifying with it as long as she was talking about her problem. The solution of Rational Recovery principles doesn't feel right to me, though. As a recovering person (AA program), it seems like a spiritual thing to me. BUT it's a very good thing that there are different ways of recovering from this!