Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 04:39 PM   #511
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/138/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxymom View Post
Well, I blew it. *sigh* Sunday night a relative from out of town showed up unexpectedly. He took DH and I to dinner and of course I couldn't eat LC in front of him and with all the wonderful restaurant choices. (EXCUSE). Of course I would have one meal and be right back on track. (DENIAL) Monday I was craving all kinds of things and although I made LC dinner, I ate waaaaaaay more than I should have. But it was low carb so technically I was still OK. (LIE). Then yesterday, one of my clients, coming to my new studio brought me a gift of amazing cookies from a local gourmet bakery. It would be rude to not eat them. (RATIONALIZATION) I won't eat that many, I will share them with DH and only have a couple (YEAH, RIGHT).
So after consuming the vast majority of the cookies, (after eating a LC dinner, what a joke) I naturally needed to eat a bunch of nuts mixed with chocolate chips, (sugar free chocolate chips, so that makes it ok) oh, and then of course I was compelled to make garlic bread. Cause they go together, chocolate and garlic bread, everybody knows that.
So here I am, back at day 1. But of course, I am already planning my next "treat". My anniversary is in a couple weeks, and every year since we've been married, DH orders a top of our wedding cake from the same bakery. (He 's already ordered it, I asked) Best cake I have ever had, so I must have just 1 little piece (DENIAL, LIE, EXCUSE, RATIONALIZATION). Why oh Why can't I just eat like a normal person? (Poor me, I am cursed. I know! A cupcake will make me feel so much better!) *SIGH*

OMG Brandi that is hysterical!! I'm reading this and seeing myself say/do the same thing! We must all be related!! I'm not sure you meant this to be funny but hahaha....that was just like looking in a mirror for me!
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #512
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Doxymom
Stats: 162/162/125
WOE: LC
Start Date: 2/5/13
Glad you enjoyed it Lisa, it's easier for me to tell the truth about this crazyness if I throw some humor in. Tonight, I am just trying not to binge. Not worrying so much about being LC, just not gorging on anything and everything! It helps so much to know I am not alone. and I think you're right, it's like we all really are related!
Doxymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:51 AM   #513
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
I blew it last night...went out to dinner for sister-in-law's birthday. Pasta dinner with tiramasu (sp?) for dessert. Then home and eating more sweets. I didn't weigh myself this morning, BUT I am back on track and measuring, weighing, and logging everything I eat again.

Start - 2/10/13

2/10-2/27 - 15 days binge free and 3 NOT
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:54 PM   #514
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/138.6/?
WOE: lc
Hi everyone
Took a little break from here, but have been binge free 11 days now. Something has clicked in my brain since my little melt down that I hope sticks. I have to stop binging for good, it truly makes me mentally unstable and I refuse to continue living my life on that binge/restrict roller-coaster. It is not fair to me or my family.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:12 PM   #515
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Hi everyone
Took a little break from here, but have been binge free 11 days now. Something has clicked in my brain since my little melt down that I hope sticks. I have to stop binging for good, it truly makes me mentally unstable and I refuse to continue living my life on that binge/restrict roller-coaster. It is not fair to me or my family.
11 days is excellent!! I'm so happy for you
Old 03-02-2013, 02:28 AM   #516
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
KUTGW, Jeanie.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:51 AM   #517
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Start - 2/10/13

2/10-3/1 - 17 days binge free and 3 NOT

You will do it, Jeanie!
Old 03-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #518
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 1, 2014
Great job, Jeanie!

How are you doing, Doxymom?

I am day 2 Binge Free, which is great for me. I feel the momentum building.

I have been tracking food on another site and for some reason, doing this makes me feel a little binge-y. Anyone know why that might be? Seems like it would help, if nothing else?
Portia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #519
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
I am doing fairly good with eating right now even though I am having more calories than normal. Eating every meal in restaurants is challenging especially when the portions serveed are about three times bigger than what I have normally been eating. So I am focusing on appetizers to control my portions.

Shirl- Glad you got right back in the swing of things.

Brandi- For the wedding cake on your anniversary have your hubby cut a small bite or two for you and put them on a plate. Maybe you won't be tempted to eat more if you have your special treat pre portioned. Then have him wrap up the cake in a bunch of layers of wrap and take it to work the next day or walk it over to the neigbors and give it to them to get it out of the house.

Jeanie- I am so happy for you that you are feeling better and have a handle on eating. Did you like the physicality of your meltdown the other day? When I am frustrated I like to punch things like the bed or pillows and I feel so much better with the release. I have even considered learning how to box as a good releasing exercise!

Jes- I never have an issue with journaling, it in fact keeps me on plan. I do have an issue with being too restrictive with food though. Maybe you feel restricted on some level by journaling your food rather than free-feeding (as I like to call it). Maybe there is a positive spin you can put on journaling your food that removes restriction and the bingey feeling. Hang in there, I hope it turns around and becomes a useful tool for you.

Last edited by Phranquie; 03-02-2013 at 12:42 PM..
Phranquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #520
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portia View Post
Great job, Jeanie!

How are you doing, Doxymom?

I am day 2 Binge Free, which is great for me. I feel the momentum building.

I have been tracking food on another site and for some reason, doing this makes me feel a little binge-y. Anyone know why that might be? Seems like it would help, if nothing else?
I have noticed I binge more when I track obsessively. For me I think it is because I resent it and want to just eat to hunger, but I can't eat to hunger while trying to lose because this keeps me in maintenance, not loss mode. I have to restrict calories which eventually backfires. I am in that place now, I am 12 days binge free but am not losing weight because I am not counting calories.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #521
Big Yapper!!!!

Frankie
The physical release was incredible even though I had to clean up the mess! I felt calmer kind of like I was in slow motion the next day, but now have amped up the exercise and am feeling better overall.

You are doing well with all the traveling challenges. When will you be back?
Old 03-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #522
Major LCF Poster!

Jeanie- how low do you have to keep your calories? I curious because I think ketosis is self limiting for me. Do you get a decrease in hunger from ketosis?
Old 03-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #523
Major LCF Poster!

Shirl, what a darling baby.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #524
Big Yapper!!!!

1000-1100 cals. I don't know that I have ever been in ketosis for sure. Those urine sticks have turned color for me in the past, but I can't really say it suppresses my appetite much. Get loads of energy though. I think I probably eat too much protein, but don't feel full enough otherwise.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #525
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
1000-1100 cals. I don't know that I have ever been in ketosis for sure. Those urine sticks have turned color for me in the past, but I can't really say it suppresses my appetite much. Get loads of energy though. I think I probably eat too much protein, but don't feel full enough otherwise.
I rarely go above 1000 calories but that's because I'm not hungry. Do you watch fat intake? Most of my calories come from fat. I have about a 60/35/5 % ratio fat/protein/carb.
I have never used a fat bomb but people rave about them in the main lobby. They use them to keep satiated...I think.
I do not have increased energy...ever
Old 03-03-2013, 12:05 AM   #526
Senior LCF Member

Portia, thanks for asking. I am not doing very well. My life is going well, but my eating is out of control. I don't understand how just a couple of weeks ago I would have chewed off my own leg before bingeing, now, no matter what I try I cannot seem to get back on track. Tonight I made cookies and I have no idea how many I ate. I honestly don't know what my problem is. I feel like I will never overcome this and get to my goal weight.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:56 AM   #527
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Portia, thanks for asking. I am not doing very well. My life is going well, but my eating is out of control. I don't understand how just a couple of weeks ago I would have chewed off my own leg before bingeing, now, no matter what I try I cannot seem to get back on track. Tonight I made cookies and I have no idea how many I ate. I honestly don't know what my problem is. I feel like I will never overcome this and get to my goal weight.
Ugh, so sorry Girl! May be just a reaction to stress/change in work venue What were you doing differently before this fall? Eating clean-yes but what was your inner voice saying? I can here that voice now in your post. "I'll never overcome this". "What's my problem". We are our own worst critics. Treat yourself with kindness. You have had a major life change in the past few weeks. That can throw even the strongest among us for a loop. Find your breath and re-center. You can do this! Oh, and get the cookie making stuff out of the house

Goals for 2014

Remain food-sane 1 day at a time
Continue with yoga
Old 03-03-2013, 05:56 AM   #528
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 1, 2014
Quote:
I'm so sorry. I can totally relate to what you're going through and I can tell from your post that you're angry at yourself. I wish I had some advice. I am only starting my 3rd day Binge Free but I can tell you that the urge is still there. The only thing that has stopped me this time is the fact that I am doing this with my neighbor and friend and I don't want to let her down. She offered to help me (she has been very successful with low carb), I accepted her help and I want to be able to report losses.

Would it help you to buddy up here in that way? This thread is technically a 30-day challenge, even though we also seem to use it just to discuss binge eating etc.

Also, even though you've been binge eating, you had a good stretch where you didn't so you *know* you're strong enough to do this.

Final thought - are you being too restrictive? I have to build treats into the program or I'm miserable. I have had some kind of legal treat each night - even just jello with a blob of whipped cream does the trick.

Hang in there.

Portia's Journal
Portia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:57 AM   #529
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Start - 2/10/13

2/10-3/2 - 18 days binge free and 3 NOT
Old 03-03-2013, 05:58 AM   #530
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Shirl, what a darling baby.

Cici, thanks...it's my one and only grandbaby!
Old 03-03-2013, 09:30 AM   #531
Senior LCF Member

Hi Lisa, Hi Jes, Thanks for the support. I think you both hit a couple of things on the head. I remember Elaine writing about bingeing AFTER a stressful situation ended, and at the time I thought that wasn't an issue for me but obviously I was wrong. That seems to be exactly what has happened. Major life change-everything goes great-clients really happy-I am happier and less stressed-so I start bingeing???? Sounds counterintuitive but its totally accurate. I guess when I let go of the worry I also let go of the control, or discipline, or whatever you want to call it. I do not understand myself. I do not understand why I think about dieting all the time. I don't understand why I set weight loss goals and most of the time I fail miserably. (and when I do succeed I end up gaining everything back in a short amount of time). I do not understand why I self sabotage.

True, I do tend to be an all or nothing person, and when I am doing well I do tend to be restrictive. I understand the concept of kindness towards oneself, but have up to now been unable to put it into practice.

Sometimes I think, "this would be so much easier if I had a problem with alcohol, I could just give it up totally, and be fine. But you can't give up food. Poor me! Those alcoholics have it so easy!". Ridiculous, of course they don't. I realize this is just another one of my excuses. I DO have a problem like alcoholics, it's called carb addiction. I DO have something I could give up totally and be fine, SUGAR and anything my body turns to sugar. But here is the rub (and I suspect alcoholics and other addictive people feel this too) sometimes, I JUST DON'T WANT TO!!!! Sometimes I don't FEEL like being a carb addict, sometimes I don't want to deal with this, sometimes I want just a bite of dessert, sometimes I don't want to have to think about this. So that's where my head is at the moment. Any suggestions on how to get back on track would be wonderful, because I am really struggling.

Jes, I agree, I don't think of this as a 30 day challenge anymore. I think of this as a support group and I am so very thankful for you all. I feel like you are all my buddies and I feel sad that I let you all down, but so grateful I can report to you each day, even when I fail. Because I believe that I will (somehow, eventually, maybe today even!) get back on the horse and you will all be here to hold my virtual hand through the process.

Brandi

Last edited by Doxymom; 03-03-2013 at 09:31 AM..
Old 03-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #532
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hi Lisa, Hi Jes, Thanks for the support. I think you both hit a couple of things on the head. I remember Elaine writing about bingeing AFTER a stressful situation ended, and at the time I thought that wasn't an issue for me but obviously I was wrong. That seems to be exactly what has happened. Major life change-everything goes great-clients really happy-I am happier and less stressed-so I start bingeing???? Sounds counterintuitive but its totally accurate. I guess when I let go of the worry I also let go of the control, or discipline, or whatever you want to call it. I do not understand myself. I do not understand why I think about dieting all the time. I don't understand why I set weight loss goals and most of the time I fail miserably. (and when I do succeed I end up gaining everything back in a short amount of time). I do not understand why I self sabotage.

True, I do tend to be an all or nothing person, and when I am doing well I do tend to be restrictive. I understand the concept of kindness towards oneself, but have up to now been unable to put it into practice.

Sometimes I think, "this would be so much easier if I had a problem with alcohol, I could just give it up totally, and be fine. But you can't give up food. Poor me! Those alcoholics have it so easy!". Ridiculous, of course they don't. I realize this is just another one of my excuses. I DO have a problem like alcoholics, it's called carb addiction. I DO have something I could give up totally and be fine, SUGAR and anything my body turns to sugar. But here is the rub (and I suspect alcoholics and other addictive people feel this too) sometimes, I JUST DON'T WANT TO!!!! Sometimes I don't FEEL like being a carb addict, sometimes I don't want to deal with this, sometimes I want just a bite of dessert, sometimes I don't want to have to think about this. So that's where my head is at the moment. Any suggestions on how to get back on track would be wonderful, because I am really struggling.

Jes, I agree, I don't think of this as a 30 day challenge anymore. I think of this as a support group and I am so very thankful for you all. I feel like you are all my buddies and I feel sad that I let you all down, but so grateful I can report to you each day, even when I fail. Because I believe that I will (somehow, eventually, maybe today even!) get back on the horse and you will all be here to hold my virtual hand through the process.

Brandi
I totally get Brandi. It sucks I hate that everybody else can have XYZ and I can't. I need to have substitutes available. My go to treat is plain yogurt with SF jello pudding mixed in. Sounds nuts but it saves me every time. I add nut butter to it and I'm good. My favorite ice cream is vanilla w peanut butter, so this works well for me. If you're a chocolate freak check out the flourless chocolate cake. Cheesecake? There are a million of them. Make cupcakes and keep them in the freezer.
Now, I know there will be times when you will want to over eat the legal treats. That's where the white knuckle stuff comes in. But remember- all those normal people don't eat an entire cheesecake so if we want to be like them, we have to act like them
I'm no expert. Been up and down this road 4 times already. My mistake has been believing I'm cured maintenance scares the hell out of me
Old 03-03-2013, 11:14 AM   #533
Big Yapper!!!!

Brandi
I get the binging after stress thing totally, I tend to do that at times. I think the situation requires all your mental/physical energy which means you can't binge or you will be off your game. I also tend to binge after the party/event where I restricted my food. I get resentful of it all as well. My melt down the other day is still keeping me straight, it really scared me to see how much binging was affecting my life. I didn't go into all that happened that day but I'll just say that I had some really dark thoughts and was even crazy enough to believe that after 30 years of marriage that I was driving my husband away with the foul moods that were a result of the binging. I guess I am rambling but I do understand how you are feeling!!
Old 03-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #534
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biochic View Post
I rarely go above 1000 calories but that's because I'm not hungry. Do you watch fat intake? Most of my calories come from fat. I have about a 60/35/5 % ratio fat/protein/carb.
I have never used a fat bomb but people rave about them in the main lobby. They use them to keep satiated...I think.
I do not have increased energy...ever
Way to go on the 160's

I love fat and the taste but for some reason it does not fill me up
Old 03-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #535
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Lisa, I will try the yogurt/jello. I do have a problem with legal treats. I do over eat even LC things. I know there is no cure for this, but then I do well for a while and (like a person who is mentally ill and feels normal on meds, so they think they're cured and stop taking them) I foolishly think I am cured and can have just a bit of this or that and be just fine. But in reality it starts a snowball of eating crap. Frustrating and very depressing.

Jeanie, resentful is the word. That is exactly how I am feeling. Resentful about my situation, indignant while I am bingeing, depressed when I stop. Hopeless come morning. Glad to hear your meltdown has helped you. Right now, I don't even have the energy for a meltdown. It's exhausting being happy schmappy all week in front of everybody, when in reality I just feel angry, sad, and let's not forget, resentful.

Last edited by Doxymom; 03-03-2013 at 11:42 AM..
Old 03-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #536
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Brandi
Everything you wrote and everything the others wrote following this. Right now I don't really believe I will ever conquer this but have restarted supplementing to hopefully change something internally. It has to be something chemical. But is it something I can change? I am almost beyond hoping.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #537
Senior LCF Member

Exactly Cici, I feel exactly the same. You know, on Thanksgiving one of my guests was newly conquering her anorexic/bulimic demons. (prior to this I didn't know she had this problem). At my dinner, she refused to eat anything that wasn't "safe", a little salad, white meat turkey that was about it. As much as I have my food issues, I was kind of annoyed. All she had to do was not pig out, and not throw up! I mean, easy right? Well now I have changed my tune. She was taking her recovery seriously and she is still doing well. I am thinking that to control this ( notice I didn't say "cure this" ) I have to abstain completely from anything carby at all. Forever. That infuriates me. It makes me resentful and angry. It makes me want to say to heck with this and eat a bunch of cookies . These realizations I am having about myself are making me very sad.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #538
Major LCF Poster!

Resentful- yup, that sums it up
Old 03-03-2013, 05:54 PM   #539
Big Yapper!!!!

I wish I could wave a magic wand and deem us all healed

I know dieting in itself will cause me to binge, in fact I started binging after my first diet. I am hanging on pretty well now and have been jogging/walking a few times a week which makes me feel very happy, less depressed and anxious. Also, makes me less likely to eat the crap because I feel so good from the workouts I don't want to spoil it.The big dilemma is how do I lose weight w/o dieting? Low carb or not it is still restricting food. Some of my resentfulness comes from my prior belief that low carb was the magic bullet, I believed the books when they said the cravings would go away if I cut the junk carbs, but have since found that not to be the case. In 2010 I was binge free for six months, and suddenly started binging off and on again WTH!? You would think after six months I was cured.

Last edited by jeaniem; 03-03-2013 at 05:56 PM..
Old 03-04-2013, 02:35 AM   #540
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I wish I could wave a magic wand and deem us all healed

I know dieting in itself will cause me to binge, in fact I started binging after my first diet. I am hanging on pretty well now and have been jogging/walking a few times a week which makes me feel very happy, less depressed and anxious. Also, makes me less likely to eat the crap because I feel so good from the workouts I don't want to spoil it.The big dilemma is how do I lose weight w/o dieting? Low carb or not it is still restricting food. Some of my resentfulness comes from my prior belief that low carb was the magic bullet, I believed the books when they said the cravings would go away if I cut the junk carbs, but have since found that not to be the case. In 2010 I was binge free for six months, and suddenly started binging off and on again WTH!? You would think after six months I was cured.
No cure, just managed... I kept my wt off for nearly 2 yrs. the 2nd time around. I thought "wow, finally". Ummm, yeah- nope
I think I can "pretend" to be normal for awhile but I end up believing my own masquerade