Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 08:01 PM   #451
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
I have been doing pretty good in spite of some stress. I felt very much like eating a lot yesterday but I only added 75 grams of guacamole over my normal food allowance for the day. I could feel the need to eat growing in me for a few hours. After my dinner I just told myself there would be nothing else to eat. I reviewed my food log so that my brain could see how much I had eaten even though I felt I could eat more.

My payoff was to reach Onderland today. This felt so good and I hope it reinforces and motivates me to stay on plan in the future.

Shirl- I think most of us understand the feeling of dismay and bewilderment at our eating habits, especially when we know the food we are eating is not even that good. I wish I could have an electric jolt when I have eaten like this in the past. One thing that I am doing now is to stop and look at every bit of food before I cook it or order it in a restaurant. I take a pause and think: Is this going to set me back, set off cravings, derail my weight loss? Is this within my carb and calorie limit for the day? Is this food beneficial to my body and staying on plan? If in doubt I go to my food log and see. If I am being honest with myself doing this is helps me get a hold of my eyes wanting food without really taking time to think about all the repercussions of eating something off plan.

Elaine- I love that video and made my BF watch the entire thing a couple of weeks ago. He is a huge fruit eater and also likes juice. Since watching that he has cut back on the juices.

Welcome Dawnie!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2013, 11:13 PM   #452
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Doxymom
Stats: 162/162/125
WOE: LC
Start Date: 2/5/13
Day 14 binge free!
Doxymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:30 AM   #453
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Seem to have hit a bit of a rough patch again. Blew another day. Made a decision during all this that may not make sense but decided to quit smoking yesterday. Yeah, I know, who still smokes in this day? Anyway, since my eating is out of control anyway, might as well detox on the other issue. The weather here is pretty bad so also don't want to leave the house to buy. Well this all sounds pretty good at 24 hours. If I can make it four days, that will be the biggest hump.
cici52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:22 AM   #454
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Start - 2/10/13

2/10-2/18 - 8 days binge free and 1 NOT

Wishing you the best on quitting smoking, Cici! I quit in 1977 cold turkey. I can't imagine doing it any other way, but I know that's certainly not the only way. Kudos to you!!!
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:56 AM   #455
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 1, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Glad to see you back, Jes.
Thanks. I just keep dorking around. I finally turned the corner, though. All food for today (which is yet another Day 1) is prepared, packed and delicious.

Also will be cooking a few things ahead for the week.

I want to use an online tracker as well.
Portia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:33 PM   #456
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
I am off to London for a couple of weeks. This will be a big test for me as I do not do as well with food when traveling as I do at home.

Cic- God luck on quitting smoking. Keep telling yourself you are a non-smoker!
Phranquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #457
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/148.6/?
WOE: lc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxymom View Post
Day 14 binge free!
Woo hoo Keep it going!
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:34 PM   #458
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/141/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
Safe travels Phranquie

Cici- I quit smoking in 1994 and I can honestly say it was the most difficult thing I have ever done back then people smoked in the house so I always had a cigarette after dinner and I smoke in my family room while watching TV. I did not smoke in my bedroom or the bathroom. When I quit, I would get up from the dinner table and head either to my bedroom or the bathtub. It helped not to be anywhere I associated with smoking.

Years ago, my father quit smoking after 50 yrs! He attended a program called "Smoke Enders". The two things I remember about that are 1. They had him put cigarettes in a closed jar with a bit of water and smell it if he got the urge to smoke and 2. They told him to change where he kept his cigarettes so he would not longer automatically reach for them.

Goals for 2014

Remain food-sane 1 day at a time
Continue with yoga
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:34 PM   #459
Big Yapper!!!!

Well if there is such thing as hitting bottom I think I have done so. I had yet another terrible binge last night and slept poorly as a result, when my alarm went off I felt so hopeless and depressed I did not want to get out of bed. I laid there so long I ended up rushing and driving too fast to get to work on time. I was in a foul mood all day and then took out my anger/frustration on my DH when I got home. I cried and called myself old and fat and proceeded to wipe the contents of the coffee table onto the floor in a rage. I then went and stood in a hot shower and cried it out. I absolutely must get in control of eating and feel like today has been a turning point- I have never felt this sad or desperate before concerning my eating. It is not so much about the weight gain as it is the powerlessness I felt over the situation. I used the word felt not feel because I feel like I can finally stop this destructive behavior now.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:41 PM   #460
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Well if there is such thing as hitting bottom I think I have done so. I had yet another terrible binge last night and slept poorly as a result, when my alarm went off I felt so hopeless and depressed I did not want to get out of bed. I laid there so long I ended up rushing and driving too fast to get to work on time. I was in a foul mood all day and then took out my anger/frustration on my DH when I got home. I cried and called myself old and fat and proceeded to wipe the contents of the coffee table onto the floor in a rage. I then went and stood in a hot shower and cried it out. I absolutely must get in control of eating and feel like today has been a turning point- I have never felt this sad or desperate before concerning my eating. It is not so much about the weight gain as it is the powerlessness I felt over the situation. I used the word felt not feel because I feel like I can finally stop this destructive behavior now.
Well, they do say sometime you have to hit bottom. Everyone's bottom is different but I love that you said "felt" and not feel. No where else to go but UP
Old 02-20-2013, 06:28 AM   #461
Major LCF Poster!

Happy travels, Franki.

Jeanie, hitting bottom can't be pleasant but you managed to pick yourself up quickly. Hope your day goes well.

Thanks for the encourgement regarding smoking. So far it hasn't been too hard. I feel like it doesn't serve its purpose any more.

Yesterday was good here, although I didn't actually do anything. One down, a lifetime to go.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:23 AM   #462
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Start - 2/10/13

2/10-2/19 - 9 days binge free and 1 NOT

Jes, using an online tracker is the best thing I've ever done in my quest for weight loss!

Jeanie, thoughts and prayers are with you.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #463
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/119/115-120
WOE: BTD/JUDDD/HDE
Jeanie
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:23 PM   #464
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biochic View Post
Well, they do say sometime you have to hit bottom. Everyone's bottom is different but I love that you said "felt" and not feel. No where else to go but UP
Lisa
My GABA is out for delivery! Any suggestions/tips on using it? Thanks
Old 02-20-2013, 02:25 PM   #465
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks everyone. I still feel numb and almost in some sort of slow motion shock from my little rage yesterday, but the thought of binging and teetering on that ledge of insanity scares the hell out of me!
Old 02-21-2013, 12:33 AM   #466
Senior LCF Member

Frankie, have a great and safe trip! never been to London but I am hoping for your sake that stereotypes are true and their food isn't good enough to be binge worthy!

Cici, quitting smoking is such a wonderful and healthy goal. I wish you luck and strength. You can do it!

Jeanie, depression that ends in rage sounds like a good thing in a strange way. Being caught in the pit of depression can keep you from doing anything except hibernating and eating the pain away, but rage can sometimes motivate. It can sometimes act like a valve that releases pent up pressure and return you to clarity. (kind of like a re-set). That sounds like that's what happened to you. Like maybe the rage was the thing you needed to release you from the feeling of powerlessness. Now maybe you can focus and move on toward your goals with hopefulness, not helplessness. I am pulling for you.

As far as I go, today was my second day in my new business. Yesterday I was a nervous wreck, not because the job, or the clients were any different, but because my surroundings were, and I am completely responsible for everything. Well, everybody seems really pleased. My little salon is really nice, I have been totally busy and my income hasn't suffered with the change (thank God)! In just these two days, my stress level has gone waaaaaaaay down and I am so very thankful. I have had 2 more binge free days 15 & 16. But I have notice something. After dinner I allowed myself to have a sugar free dessert, (pudding). After I did, the urge to go to the pantry got stronger. I see why I always gain back the weight I lose. This is how it starts. I don't cheat, or binge, but I have a "treat" that falls within acceptable (whatever diet I am doing at the time) guidelines. Then I begin to justify having a second "acceptable treat". Then I add some heavy cream to that low carb pudding or whatever. Then a lot of heavy cream. A few more justifications later-and I start to binge on "acceptable" foods. (apparently you cannot expect to lose weight eating gargantuan amounts as long as they are carb free--imagine that!). So like I have suspected for a while, I don't think I should have even sugar free dessert-type things. Damn. The list of triggers gets longer. I just wish I could love turkey, chicken and broccoli as much as chocolate, French bread and chips. Lately I haven't been following a particular plan, just making low carb choices and not bingeing. I am hesitant to jump on some certain plan, because the moment I have a bad week, my messed up mind will start to try and convince myself that the plan doesn't work and I should abandon it. But on the other hand, I am a structured, organized person and sometimes I think I need that in my eating as well. But then again, if I don't do everything just right, then I beat myself up and feel like a colossal failure and quit that plan and move onto something else. Isn't it interesting. I don't need someone to emotionally abuse me. I do an excellent job at it myself. Has anyone figured out how to be nice to themselves? How to not have damaging inner dialogues? How to not use food as a tool to abuse yourself? Sometimes I think that's it. We think we eat to dull pain or comfort ourselves, but maybe we also do it to punish or hurt ourselves for some imagined infraction? God, I am rambling. All these feelings and anguish because of sugar free pudding! This is ridiculous! Well maybe sleep will take these feelings away. *Sigh*
Brandi
Old 02-21-2013, 05:20 AM   #467
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Lisa
My GABA is out for delivery! Any suggestions/tips on using it? Thanks
Hi Jeanie. I take one 750 mg capsule in the late afternoon. I was concerned about it causing drowsiness so I opted for an after work dose. I have a great deal of faith in this supplement. So much so that I schlepped it to Florida with me and continue to take it every afternoon.
I hope you find the same success
Old 02-21-2013, 09:14 AM   #468
Major LCF Poster!

Having internet trouble so short post from phone. All is well. Will be lurking until back on line. KUTGW.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:24 AM   #469
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Start - 2/10/13

2/10-2/20 - 10 days binge free and 1 NOT
Old 02-21-2013, 09:27 AM   #470
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Well, everybody seems really pleased. My little salon is really nice, I have been totally busy and my income hasn't suffered with the change (thank God)! In just these two days, my stress level has gone waaaaaaaay down and I am so very thankful.

So glad to hear things are going well for you in your work!
Old 02-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #471
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Shirlc!
Old 02-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #472
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Frankie, have a great and safe trip! never been to London but I am hoping for your sake that stereotypes are true and their food isn't good enough to be binge worthy!

Cici, quitting smoking is such a wonderful and healthy goal. I wish you luck and strength. You can do it!

Jeanie, depression that ends in rage sounds like a good thing in a strange way. Being caught in the pit of depression can keep you from doing anything except hibernating and eating the pain away, but rage can sometimes motivate. It can sometimes act like a valve that releases pent up pressure and return you to clarity. (kind of like a re-set). That sounds like that's what happened to you. Like maybe the rage was the thing you needed to release you from the feeling of powerlessness. Now maybe you can focus and move on toward your goals with hopefulness, not helplessness. I am pulling for you.

As far as I go, today was my second day in my new business. Yesterday I was a nervous wreck, not because the job, or the clients were any different, but because my surroundings were, and I am completely responsible for everything. Well, everybody seems really pleased. My little salon is really nice, I have been totally busy and my income hasn't suffered with the change (thank God)! In just these two days, my stress level has gone waaaaaaaay down and I am so very thankful. I have had 2 more binge free days 15 & 16. But I have notice something. After dinner I allowed myself to have a sugar free dessert, (pudding). After I did, the urge to go to the pantry got stronger. I see why I always gain back the weight I lose. This is how it starts. I don't cheat, or binge, but I have a "treat" that falls within acceptable (whatever diet I am doing at the time) guidelines. Then I begin to justify having a second "acceptable treat". Then I add some heavy cream to that low carb pudding or whatever. Then a lot of heavy cream. A few more justifications later-and I start to binge on "acceptable" foods. (apparently you cannot expect to lose weight eating gargantuan amounts as long as they are carb free--imagine that!). So like I have suspected for a while, I don't think I should have even sugar free dessert-type things. Damn. The list of triggers gets longer. I just wish I could love turkey, chicken and broccoli as much as chocolate, French bread and chips. Lately I haven't been following a particular plan, just making low carb choices and not bingeing. I am hesitant to jump on some certain plan, because the moment I have a bad week, my messed up mind will start to try and convince myself that the plan doesn't work and I should abandon it. But on the other hand, I am a structured, organized person and sometimes I think I need that in my eating as well. But then again, if I don't do everything just right, then I beat myself up and feel like a colossal failure and quit that plan and move onto something else. Isn't it interesting. I don't need someone to emotionally abuse me. I do an excellent job at it myself. Has anyone figured out how to be nice to themselves? How to not have damaging inner dialogues? How to not use food as a tool to abuse yourself? Sometimes I think that's it. We think we eat to dull pain or comfort ourselves, but maybe we also do it to punish or hurt ourselves for some imagined infraction? God, I am rambling. All these feelings and anguish because of sugar free pudding! This is ridiculous! Well maybe sleep will take these feelings away. *Sigh*
Brandi
I think the rage was a culmination of built up anger and frustration due to my continuous binging, sounds dramatic I suppose but sugar is poison to me. I do wish I could enjoy a pudding or something as well, but one bite/serving is never enough. The binge the night before my rage consisted of two pints of ice cream, pound bag of peanut m&m's , chocolate pretzels and a microwave kettlecorn. The amount of food is insane and the scary part is that the binges have become larger over time. This is literally physically harming oneself as you mentioned. I remember my first inklings of dabbling in binges and it was after my first diet. It was the scarsdale diet and I lost a lot of weight but was so hungry that when I finally caved I went crazy eating everything in sight until of course I gained the weight back and dieted again, so the cycle continued.

I am so glad to hear your salon is doing well and you are remaining binge free! Remember how good that feels.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:38 PM   #473
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biochic View Post
Hi Jeanie. I take one 750 mg capsule in the late afternoon. I was concerned about it causing drowsiness so I opted for an after work dose. I have a great deal of faith in this supplement. So much so that I schlepped it to Florida with me and continue to take it every afternoon.
I hope you find the same success
750 mgs!! Mine only have 125mg. per tablet.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:57 PM   #474
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: newyorkmeg
Stats: 247/152/healthy 5'8"
WOE: Just LC
Start Date: 10/09
I read this forum regularly, but never have posted.

My binges have lead to an incredible weight gain. The kind where you are embarrassed to run into people.

I slayed my binger the other am after a binge the night before. The type where I ate all of and more jeaniem was describing. I envisioned the slaying and hoping that the binger stays away!!! I can't believe how strong the urges are. They take over my whole life at times. I literally can't do anything other than binge. Sometimes driving to 5 different places to get my fix. How scary is that.

With that, I just wanted to read this forum for soem strength!!!
newyorkmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #475
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dawnie
Stats: 152/134.5/130
WOE: HCG R1P3/LCD/JUDD??
Start Date: 01/12/13
Hi everyone,
Just checking in to see what everyone is up to - been a longggggg week at work - so glad it's Friday tomorrow kinda sorta - Friday night's are tough- after work cocktail hour - I don't really drink - very occasionally - but everyone orders a couple of "apps" which always includes fried something - and that's what leads me to the ice cream a couple of hours later at home - so I can't stay past the 1st round (yet) it will be a quick in and out to be social -. Been right on plan so far and no gain - and feel OK with my choices this week but still could sit down with a stack of Oreos for dinner. It would probably make me very sick at this point - but that's the truth.

Anyway, just a quick hello - I will catch up over the weekend. Good thoughts to all!!

Dawnie
Dawnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:12 PM   #476
Senior LCF Member

Jeanie, you are exactly right, sugar IS poison. Also, your diet/binge cycle sounds just like me. Diet/Starve, lose weight then feel crazed then binge/gain. So upsetting. I want to tell you that I think admitting everything you ate, here, for all to see was very, very brave of you. And thanks for your kind words about my new biz

Hi newyorkmeg,
Glad you posted. Posting here really helps give you strength. Good luck keeping your binger slayed.

17 days no binge
Old 02-22-2013, 07:35 AM   #477
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Start - 2/10/13

2/10-2/21 - 11 days binge free and 1 NOT
Old 02-22-2013, 09:09 AM   #478
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning. Sorry, I have not said much the past few days. Posting from my phone is such a pain. Have internet for the moment so thought I would take a minute to let you know,

I have been commiserating with with you, Jeanie. Really hope you get a handle on this. While, I have had an occasional clean out the fridge binge, they have been few and far between, and really scary and depressing and left me feeling like I might have a heart attack or something. Jeanie, what you are describing can be life threatening. Please stop. Even though it seems to have a life of its own when it is happening, there are so many things we can do to short circuit it. I think the GABA will really help you to relax, but my caps are also 750 mg so I have never taken the low dose you have. However, maybe that wil be enough. Just follow the directions on the bottle. Also, Since you are not committed to a plan right now, try getting more nutrients than typically found on strict LC. You could be going off the deep end with sweets related to needing 1) the vitamins and minerals found in colorful vegetables (which would have been the ancient "sweet" of the hunter gatherers. 2) the safe starches needed to stimulate seratonen production. I agree. You are brave. Also, powerful enough to defeat this with the help of God.

Brandi, So glad your grand opening is a success. Hope you will be very happy and successful.

Meg, Welcome.

Shirl, you are doing terrific. KUTGW.

Hi, Dawnie, Glad you checked in. See you this weekend.

Lisa, Marika, Frankie. How's it goin'?

I have a hard time defining my binges nowadays. It is more of a feeling of needing to do the activity (eating) more than the actual quantity. Generally they have been well under 1000 calories and only occasionally take me over my maintenance calories for the day. However, they are much less than they once were and I think it has something to do with the focus on complete nutrition that my current WOE has. It takes some time to undo the damage of chronic misfeeding but when you start to feel healthier and saner, you realize something is healing. I haven't reached total health yet, but am feeling good enough that I dared quit smoking (cold turkey) and it has been 4 full days since I smoked my last and only minor desire to smoke which I have quieted by sucking air through a straw cut to cig length. Oddly, my nervous eating has dropped somewhat during this time. I have been eating at maintenance level, trying to pack in lots of nutrition and trying to drink more water which is my downfall. Five days since I went above mainenance level which is where I called my last binge.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #479
Big Yapper!!!!

Thank you Cici. I am trying really hard to stop I am fearful for my health, mentally and physically. I tried 2 of the GABA last night and they made me drowsy so I think I will stick with this dose for a while. Way to go on the 4 days cig free!! I quit smoking and binge drinking years ago, so hopefully binge eating will be in my past as well.

Last edited by jeaniem; 02-22-2013 at 02:48 PM..
Old 02-22-2013, 02:47 PM   #480
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkmeg View Post
I read this forum regularly, but never have posted.

My binges have lead to an incredible weight gain. The kind where you are embarrassed to run into people.

I slayed my binger the other am after a binge the night before. The type where I ate all of and more jeaniem was describing. I envisioned the slaying and hoping that the binger stays away!!! I can't believe how strong the urges are. They take over my whole life at times. I literally can't do anything other than binge. Sometimes driving to 5 different places to get my fix. How scary is that.

With that, I just wanted to read this forum for soem strength!!!

I like that image of slaying the binger! Glad to see you posting.