Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 05:01 AM   #421
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/148.4/?
WOE: lc
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenise View Post
Anyone else struggling with the Vday desire to binge? I work at an office where everyone brings in treats and sticks in them in a place where I have to go 4-5 times today - so it's a stuggle each time to leave it alone. My boss put a couple of sugar-free chocolates in my mailbox. I don't eat the sugar-free stuff mostly and am finding that just one is making be feel the cravings. I am guessing due to all of the sugar alcohols. Generally if I want chocolate I just have one of those individually wrapped dove dark chocolates - satisfies me without the cravings. I am going to be strong and resist and it totally helps that as of this am I have lost 8.5 pounds since I began this challenge!

Happy Valentine's Day all. May we resist the obtacles places in out path and see them as opportunites to be strong and healthy!

Yes I had been ten days binge free until one of my preschoolers gave me a box of valentine chocolates at our class party. I am so weak ugh! I even ate a high protein meal right before the party. Trying my hardest to down the water and get back at it today? Hope your day went well!
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2013, 05:03 AM   #422
Blabbermouth!!!

Brandi- I am appalled that an adult co-worker would act like that. Good for you for not enagaing her, sounds like a wise decision to leave sooner rather than later.

Hope your trip is fun Lisa! I see you exceeded your weight loss goal.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:33 AM   #423
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Doxymom
Stats: 162/162/125
WOE: LC
Start Date: 2/5/13
Lisa, you brought tears to my eyes this morning. Bless you. BTW where are you going in vacation? Did I miss that?

Jeanie, thanks to you too. You are right. Her behavior has been UNBELIEVEABLE at times and sometimes I feel like I never left junior high. I really could have used that extra week to prepare but the stress and frustration are just not worth it. And you are not weak when it comes to chocolate. Chocolate is very, very strong. Don't underestimate it!

Last edited by Doxymom; 02-15-2013 at 07:42 AM..
Doxymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:34 AM   #424
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Good morning. Another good day followed by 7 hrs good sleep. I am trying to figure out what makes the difference with the sleep. Currently not taking anything. Trying to get the body to do it on its own. It really makes a difference in my hunger levels.
cici52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #425
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/127.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Start - 2/10/13

2/10-2/14 - 5 days binge free
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #426
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Oh my gosh as an after school snack when I was a teen we toasted white bread and added butter and then sprinkled brown sugar/cinnamon on top. Hmm, no wonder I feel addicted to carbs.
Jeanie, I remember that, too, now...having fresh homemade bread with butter and brown sugar for an after-school snack. I had forgotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranquie View Post

My BF's 92 year old mother fell and had a compound fracture of the bones in her lower leg and was in the hospital for a month after surgery. While in the hospital she stopped eating, and yanked out a feeding tube before she was discharged. They said she would start eating when she got home, but she didn't. So after two weeks she was back in the hospital for malnutrition and dehydration which made her have some serious dementia. So once again I was there for 12-14 hours a day trying to deal with a crazy old lady who had to be physically restrained after she pulled out the feeding tub 3 times, being combative, swearing, staying up for two days, telling people she killed her husband and various other craziness. She is back at home now and is eating a tiny amount. In her moments of clarity she understands that she will die if she does not eat and will be brought to hospice to die. It is all very stressful for us as we support her fully and to top it off she has made it clear for years that she does not like me. It is difficult to lovingly wipe someone's butt for them, bathe them and do everything for them when they are nasty to you. My closest binge moments the last couple of months have been related to the stress of dealing with her.
Phranquie, I so admire you for being able to help as you are...it has to be so stressful for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxymom View Post

This was a very difficult Valentines day. when I got to work today, my boss (after being very nice when I gave notice) made me feel so uncomfortable that I decided this Saturday would be my last day. Then the awful coworker I told you about literally yelled across the room about some friend of hers she was gonna try to get to replace me. Of course this was in front of my client whose mouth dropped open. So excruciatingly embarrassing. Then another client brings me a box of chocolates and says, "sorry to tempt you". There were brownies and cookies all around me, and nothing makes me want to binge (and possibly drink) like the combination of hostile, catty, drama queens and loads of cookies, pastry and candy. (I am a manicurist in a hair salon so you can imagine the atmosphere). Well, I didn't partake in anything. I gave away the candy, and when I got home DH had a huge bouquet of roses and some sugar free chocolates for me. Good man. Had a normal law carb dinner, a couple of DH's SF chocolates and nothing else. Made it through day 10!
Doxymom, Kudos to you for being able to get through this situation as you have and wishing you the best with your new venture!
Old 02-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #427
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
I had a good day yesterday, no overeating or even feeling tempted to eat off plan.

Cici- I agree with the relation to sleep and hunger. My sleep has been way off the past week. I am sure it is due to stress and I am working on it. I will be traveling next week so I really need to get my patterns readjusted or I will be wiped out and that is prime binge time when I am stressed and tired.

Shirl-Great job on the 5 days!

Brandi- Congrats on getting through the temptations at work.

Lisa- Awesome job on declining the chocolate!

Jeanie- Getting back on plan as soon as possible is the best thing you can do. Eating good LC foods for a couple of days and not restricting is the best way for me to recover.

Jenise- WTG on the 8.5lb loss! That is always a great incentive to stick to your plan.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #428
Major LCF Poster!

You are all doing soooo good! I am lucky to have no outside temptations. It is enough to deal with my own brain but have been doing well the past few days.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:02 AM   #429
Senior LCF Member

Hi everybody! Shirlc, thanks for the good wishes for my business venture. Tomorrow is my last day at my old job. I look forward to leaving all the negativity behind me. I have been really nervous, but today I realized what an amazing opportunity this actually is and how many women in my position would love to have the freedom that I will now.

Made it through day 11 binge free today! I have been cooking every night from the recipes on this site and I must say they have all been really good. Because I am eating more fat, I feel much more satisfied and my portions are smaller and my cravings are really at bay. Sometimes it would be so much easier just to eat out or grab fast food, but I am so afraid of having to start all over and suffer through those cravings again. I keep thinking back to just a couple of weeks ago when I couldn't stop eating. Right now anything remotely carby scares me, even fruit. I am afraid of possible triggers. I was so miserable and hopeless I don't ever want to feel that again. But I will say that everyday I don't binge, I feel stronger and better and my abstinence (OA term) has become really important to me.

I have another issue that maybe you all can help me with. I am 43 and the hot flashes have started. They are really bad and happening all day and night. I haven't slept through the night in several months. The doctor told me that I am not even peri menopausal, but since I haven't had a monthly visitor in 5 months along with feeling like I am leaning on a heating pad half the time I tend to disagree. I have been warned off taking any type of hormone, but do any of you have any suggestions that could help? I am miserable.
Brandi
Old 02-16-2013, 05:44 AM   #430
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Elaine05
Stats: 210/178/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Sept 2011
I want to share the REALLY BAD plan I had for the weekend. My husband went in for heart surgery Friday. Everything went really well and I expect to bring him home today hopefully cured. But when I got home from the hospital I was a mess. I'm an after crisis fall-apart type. Compulsive eating at its finests. Totally out of control. So I tried to make the best of it and made a low carb angel food cake from a mix. I'd never had this before. Tasted ok and since I was in crazy lady mode I ATE THE WHOLE THING. Never, ever do that!! I was up most the night with horrible stomach cramps and mad runs to the bathroom!!! Still not entirely over it. 3 hours of stuffing, 15 hours of sick! Probably lost weight but, believe me, that is NOT the way to do it. And here I thought I was so clever recognizing I was totally out of control, knowing only sweets would work, and trying to take charge of it to minimize the damage. I do dumb things like this just to keep me humble. Works too.
Elaine05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:25 AM   #431
Senior LCF Member

Elaine, prayers and best wishes for your husbands speedy recovery! I don't think your plan was a bad idea. Ok yeah it backfired (hee hee) but the reality is that you DID plan, you DID try to stay low carb, and even though you ate the whole cake (God how many times have I done that-cursing myself all the while) you didn't follow it with cold pizza and cookies too. I think that is real progress and you should recognize that.
So let's look at the bright side, like you said, the scale probably went down, and heck, you're not constipated! In that respect I must say I'm a little jealous! (heehee)
Old 02-16-2013, 09:09 AM   #432
Major LCF Poster!

Brndi, congratulations on all counts. New beginning with work and staying strong.

Well, Elaine. Dust off and chalk it up to additional knowlege for your tool bag. How many times have we all done something similar or worse. That is why we are here. Personally, I cannot have any pseudo-goo without doing the same thing.

Shirl, Jenise, Frankie, Jeanie, biochic, you all seem to be doing well avoiding pitfalls.

Still doing well here. Scales are moving down a little each day. Feeling well nourished and happy. Three good sleep nights in a row.

Have a good weekend.

Recipe thread for Metabolism Miracle

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...-step-1-a.html
Old 02-16-2013, 11:29 AM   #433
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
Hello all, I hope you are having a great weekend. Not much new here just running errands today.

Elaine- I hope your husband has a speedy and uneventful recovery. I am guessing that the hours of pain, bowel agony and running to the toilet will be etched in your brain and you'll never eat another whole LC cake again! Maybe you could stock up on some shelf stable LC items that don't have sugar alcohols in them? I keep a couple of bags of turkey pepperoni in the cabinet for just those times when I am too tired or lazy to cook and need to eat something LC but not terrible.

Brandi- Great job with cooking and not going the fast food route. I feel like if I am in a weak moment that last place I want to be at at a fast food drive thru,,,it's just too easy to slip back into old (bad) habits. As far as the hot flashes I only had them at night for a few months. Luckily I never seemed to have any other side effects from the big M. Have you had your thyroid checked? You thyroid hormones could be off and making you feel hot. I would keep pestering your doc to check out some things. There is a 24 hour saliva test that can be done to check all kinds of hormone levels. My doc found out I had adrenal fatigue that way.

Cici- Nice to see you doing so well on all fronts!
Phranquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #434
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Start - 2/10/13

2/10-2/15 - 6 days binge free
Old 02-16-2013, 01:37 PM   #435
Blabbermouth!!!

Feeling really down today I just can't seem to get it back together. I am so tired of repeating this pattern of doing well and then binging for days on end. I haven't binged today, but feel really bad from eating and sleeping poorly the last couple of days. Hopefully getting through today binge free will get me back to feeling better.

Brandi- I get the hot flashes when I am strict low carb for some reason and subside when I am eating junk. My theory is that the high protein revs my metabolism causing the heat flashes. I do sleep poorly while in ketosis though. I had to pay out of pocket to see a Dr. that prescribes my thyroid and adrenal supps., well worth the cost.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:40 PM   #436
Major LCF Poster!

Sorry about your discouragement. Wish I had an answer for you. Yoi are not alone.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:27 AM   #437
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/133/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
Hi everyone
Arrived in FREEZING COLD Florida very late Friday night. Spent yesterday at an outdoor party. Ate well but drank like a fish. Alcohol definitely lowers my resolve but I had good food choices available so I stayed safe.

Jeanie I wish there was something I could do or say that would help you! I am so sorry you've been struggling.

Cici good job girl!

Brandi how did your last day feel?

Elaine I hope all is well with your husband. Focus on that for now. Good news is you'll never eat the entire cake again so lesson learned. I learned the same lesson yrs ago with SF chocolate

Shirl and Phranquie KUTGW

have a great day everyone

Goals for 2014

Remain food-sane 1 day at a time
Continue with yoga
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:24 AM   #438
Junior LCF Member

Brandi-- After eating that whole cake and rapid cramping setting in, there was no way I could eat much of anything! But your're right, I ate 1 12 carb cake and that was the binge. It sounds so much better than eating yourself sick!
Is your doctor a GYN? 43 sounds young to hit menopause so hard. I had ovaries removed at 42 so hit menopause overnight and no hormones. It is rough going for some of us. my ideas aren't clever but do install an overhead fan over your bed. (I love that $25 home depot fan.) And wear layers. I pretty much still only wear summer clothes all year with a light weigh coat over them in winter, and I live in Michigan. And be sure to wave at the other women you see driving around with their car windows open in 20 degree weather--we are all in the same club. Good luck with this. And like Jeaniem, I do MUCH better keeping my carbs very low. Losing weight also seems to help a ton. If I add on 2 pounds I can feel the difference in those hot flashes--hotter and more frequent. Alcohol brings them on too.
Jeaniem, I hate periods like that. I suspect we all get them. It helps me to plan out my meals carefully when I do that. No last minute decisions because they are almost always bad. In planing those meals you might want to make sure there is lots of fat in the foods as well as protein. And lots and lots of introductory, level one foods. Sometimes my goal is not weight control but getting back in control. Good luck. Those are rough times.
Lisa, I feel better knowing you did the same thing with Chocolate. I guess just because misery loves company! Darn, those packages make it sound like they are the perfect foods.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:17 AM   #439
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dawnie
Stats: 152/134.5/130
WOE: HCG R1P3/LCD/JUDD??
Start Date: 01/12/13
Hi All,
I have read through this thread with my mouth hanging open... I just finished my first and last EVER HCG Phases 1 and 2 - I am now at Phase 3 and the last 2 days have been paralyzed with fear over eating the wrong "way" - I didn't realize that I have a lot of the same patterns untill I read this thread. I have a feeling that I have a little understanding of what I'm dealing with now. After a month of eating VLC without most sugars and starches (I even had to give up everything starchy and sweet except for 1 fruit due to the cravings that it set off... I white-knuckled through the 30 days and arrived at my goal weigh ( I had about 15 lbs gain over the last 9 months due to trying new AD and pain Meds for my DSD (degenerative spine disorder) while waiting for a couple of cervical and lumbar epidurals and found myself gaining quickly so the meds are not good fit for me. However, even when stopping the meds I jumped up to 150 (I'm 5'5" so while not terrible at that weight it really increased my pain due to the additional load on my spine (and nothing fit right LOL.) After the HGC treatment Phase 2 I am down to 135 lbs and stabilizing but afraid to eat anything that might set me off - I am a sugarholic - there, I said it out loud and its now in print on the Internet - I've been lurking on these boards for over 5 months trying to decide which way I should "diet" and went for the HCG injections with the support and supervision of my PCP who has been amazing. However I realize I can spiral out of control at a moments notice and undo all of the last months struggle in a quick few days if I am not accountable somewhere.

If its OK for me to join in with this challenge and ask for help on a day to day basis I would really appreciate the help. I am overwhelmed with the choices I now have to make and the path is confusing - I've downloaded a couple of books suggested, and will read as much as I can - but sometimes it just helps to know that there are others who have " been there- done that" who may be able to talk me off of a "cliff" when I try to rationalize not eating all day and at 9:30pm deciding to eat a huge bowl of Cocoa Puffs or Captain Crunch with Vanilla Almond milk at think its "fine".

Anyway, you are all my heroes and so supportive of each other I had to at least say THANK YOU because at least for the moment this thread stopped me from very dumb a$$ things last night. Sorry about the lengthy post I promise no others will be as long-winded. Till later. Dawnie Z
Dawnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:48 AM   #440
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Dawnie. Glad you came out of lurkdom and thanks for sharing your struggles with us. We are here to support each other. Thanks for the good words. Glad you made it through last night. I frankly think long winded is good and your post was not even that. All we can do is share our experiences and hope it helps someone else.

Well another day one for me. Yesterday, probably a 3000+ calorie day. Wish I could claim something yummy. The early hours were perfectly healthy. After 2, Rice, butter, nuts. Lots of all. Even stopped to examine my head and no issues there. Just wanted to eat more than anything else.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #441
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/133/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
Hi Dawnie.

WELCOME
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #442
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi Dawnie. Come in and post for support anytime.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:30 AM   #443
Senior LCF Member

Hi Everybody!
Thanks so much for your support and ideas concerning the hot flashes. So much good advice.

Frankie, I do have hashimotos disease (autoimmune low thyroid). Been on meds for 10 years. I am tested every 6 months (was tested last month) and am totally stable. God help me I am having a freakin' hot flash as I write this! But you are right, I need to go back to the doc and have more tests. Will ask about having adrenals tested.

Jeanie, so sorry you feel so badly. Trying to get back on track, but being unable to and then feeling so discouraged is exactly what brought me here. You are not alone. Keep trying, keep posting. Things will get better. I hadn't realized that eating LC could actually contribute to the flashes. But honestly before coming here I was eating all kinds of junk and they were just as bad. *Sigh*

Lisa, Hope you have a wonderful time in Florida (and the weather improves)! My last day at work felt strange. (thanks for asking!) Not happy, sad, or the relief I thought I would feel, just odd. I mean, my clients were happy, and I got more validation that this was the right decision (You-know-who was celebrating (so hurtful) but I kept thinking, I never have to see her again and dealt with it). I think I felt strange because I am embarking on my own. But I don't feel nervous or scared, just a little overwhelmed trying to get everything ready in time. I did think today how nice it would be to take a break from the all the set up, watch tv and eat a bag of chips. Amazing how our brains work. A million things to do and I want to go eat chips. Well, I made it through and have 13 days binge free.

Elaine, yeah, people tell me 43 is young, but I recently read that women with Hashimotos disease can sometimes start menopause as much as 10 years early. Maybe that's happening to me. I will start wearing layers, I will get a fan, I will go to the doc, and I am doing my darnedest to drop some weight! The idea that weighing less could alleviate some of this is great incentive! Thanks! Also I didn't know alcohol could bring them on. I appreciate the info.

Dawnie, !!!!
As you can see I am a long poster so don't sweat it! I for one really enjoy reading what is going on with everybody. It is so helpful to me, and keeps me on track. I am very sorry to read about your back problems. My father had degenerative disc disease and was on a lot of meds. I wish you great success dealing with this condition. Glad to hear this thread helped you stay in control of your eating. Keep posting and I am sure you'll be able to stay on track!

Cici, nuts, rice and butter are all triggers for me. I would sometimes slather butter on wasa bread and eat piece after piece after piece. Like you said, not even something yummy. It would make more sense if all our binges were cheesecake etc., but I guess that's the point. Anything can be a trigger, we just have to figure out what they are. Dont feel badly, you are SO not alone!

Shirlc. You are doing awesome! Keep up the great work!

Hope everybody had a wonderful weekend.
Brandi
Old 02-18-2013, 06:40 AM   #444
Junior LCF Member

Dawnie. oh, please join in. We may be titled "30 day challenge" but that is not where I think this group is headed. I haven't read a single post from anyone who thinks 30 days is some magical fix it point! (Would that be nice!) We are all dealing with long term problems that I suspect we all know we will have to battle our whole lives. If you are seeking information by reading the books you might be interested in some UTube presentations. If you haven't seen it you might like "Sugar the Bitter Truth"
Also I really found "The Battle of the Diets--is anyone winning at losing" interesting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eREuZEdMAVo
Both presenters are researchers and Doctors and very informative. The Battle of the diets presents research done by a vegetarian, who painfully, came to the conclusion that a low carb diet was the best of 4 he studied. There are also several scientific presentations regarding sugar addiction--Surprise (not) turns out it is real!

Brandi. Another thing I do is fill a large water bottle with ice cubes and water and leave it on the bedside table. When you get one of those rough "night sweats" sit up and drink some of that cold water. Between the fan blowing on you and the ice water cooling your insides you might not have to change the sheets. I had a very rough couple of years--being a redhead meant I also turned bright red and my face got drippy-wet with sweat. I would pretend no one noticed but then strangers would walk up and ask me if I was ok and would try to get me to sit down.(Damn the friendly midwest!) I still hot flash daily, but nothing like those early ones. Your body does seem to adjust somewhat but it can be a trial. Low Carb eating HELPS me avoid hot flashes. It is when I eat the carbs that I do the most hot flashing, that and drink. Low Carb eating seems to stabilize me somewhat. Knocking off a couple of pounds does even a better job.
As far as myself, my miserable stressful week ended up with me having to put my 13 year old, best friend dog to sleep. I got unlimited love and protection from this dog and yesterday it was time to return the favor and save him from suffering through liver cancer. The right thing to do but very hard ****.

Last edited by Elaine05; 02-18-2013 at 06:44 AM..
Old 02-18-2013, 06:45 AM   #445
Junior LCF Member

I have absolutely No idea why one of those links popped up with a big picture link. One of the mysteries of computer life, I guess.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:06 AM   #446
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Start - 2/10/13

2/10-2/15 - 6 days binge free

On the 7th day, I blew it. It was DH's birthday and I made him a red velvet cake. He kept saying how good it was and I didn't even like it, but I ate 3 pieces. We went out for tamales because we read a review of a place that was supposed to be good and DH is always hoping to find authentic ones. Well, the food was terrible, but I ate it anyway. I just hate when I do that. I couldn't bring myself to weigh myself the next day, but I did a JUDDD DD on Sunday and today, my weight was only a lb. up from weigh-in on Saturday, so that is encouraging anyway. So I'm back on the program now!

2/10-2/17 - 7 days binge free and 1 NOT

"You must do the thing you think you cannot do." Eleanor Roosevelt

"You can preach a better sermon with your life than with your lips."
Oliver Goldsmith

"Make peace with the past so it won't screw up the present." Regina Britt
Old 02-18-2013, 07:47 AM   #447
Major LCF Poster!

Sorry, Shirl. I have done that with tasteless food. Kind of like I cant believe it is really bad and keep eating lookinh for something good. Today is a new day. You can do it. Great recovery tzctic.

Last edited by cici52; 02-18-2013 at 07:48 AM..
Old 02-18-2013, 08:40 AM   #448
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
Stats: 279/272/180
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/1/14
Day 1.
Portia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #449
Major LCF Poster!

Glad to see you back, Jes.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #450
Senior LCF Member

Welcome back Jes!

Elaine, I don't have human children, I have canine ones. I had my little Lucy pass away in my arms a few years ago and as devastatingly heartbreaking as it was (I am tearing now as I write this!) I wish we could all pass so peacefully. What you did, ending the suffering of your friend was the kindest and most selfless thing you could have done. I am truly very, very sorry.