Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 07:13 AM   #391
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Elaine05
Stats: 210/178/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Sept 2011
Cici--my mother is 99 and took a fall several months ago an just moved back into her senior appartment. I feel like I now run her life as well as my own. The stress is horrible. I end up calling daily to make sure she took morning pills and I visit every afternoon. Taking care of an aging family member is a huge stress. Good luck with it.

Brandi- A huge change you are making. Good for you. Spending so many hours a day in an environment that you are miserable in, isn't a great way to spend your life.

jeaniem--I binge the exact same way. I eat everything that isn't nailed down. It is always, sugar, sugar, sugar with me. I'll eat brown sugar out of a bag is I really get going. All out of control. Shoving food in my mouth as if someone is going to steal it. Eating till I'm sick and having a glass of hot water to calm my stomach and then eating more. I think the suggestion regarding hormones in an excellent one. I know they always made me a little crazy. With with all that is going on, you might want to go see a doctor. Depression also made me a compulsive eater big time. It did not make me "sad" so I didn't recognize it but the doctor did. Getting my 'brain chemicals' back in line did a lot of good in many ways.

And all the new people---so glad you have joined in. The more the better. We are all trying to deal with the same issues and having fellow travelers feels good to me.
Elaine05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2013, 07:34 AM   #392
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120/118-123
WOE: JUDDD
White knuckling it this morning. I think TOM is around the corner as I am just starving!!! Thanks goodness today is UD (JUDD up day). I am allowing myself more food, as long as I don't touch my binge inducing foods. I lifted weights this morning followed by 1 mile walk. Maybe I need more cardio. Strength training always makes me ravenous. I already ate my breakfast and lunch and it is 9:30 AM. I figured I need more protein , would rather eat more regular food than carbage.

Hope everyone has a great day!!!
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:41 AM   #393
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojocat
Stats: 233/209/180/119 Height 5ft7inch
WOE: LC/Juicing/rxHCG, JUDDD/IF/No S foods
Start Date: 28 Jan 2012
I picked up a pear in the supermarket today and put it back - too much sugar and just thought "a binge starts in the supermarket" it does work! Apples and berries are the best fruits for me but pears were a fruit that I couldn't stop at one. It sucks that supposedly healthy foods are binge triggers for me i.e. nuts, fruit.

Also the posts above re A/D just beware of Effexor; it can cause massive weight gain and restless legs.

Last edited by mojocat; 02-13-2013 at 07:42 AM..
mojocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:43 AM   #394
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Good morning. Well, I caught myself before going over the cliff last night. Bought some kefir cheese a couple days ago and my third tablespoon, right out of the tub, and I realized I could have eaten the whole tub with a spoon. Put it away. It will now be treated with the same respect as butter, another thing I could eat with a spoon.

Thanks for the support re: aging parents. My step dad has all the symptoms of alsheimers and just retired (age 88) from driving cars back and forth for Enterprise. His short term memory is totally gone so he can no longer remember the simplest tasks or information. But this has come on fast enough that he doesn't realize the problem so is unwilling to give up control of anything, including driving which is now dangerous. He is angry about the world which is so difficult to navigate. Mom is overwelmed with the adjustment of both having him home full time and his deminished capacity which leaves her with all the responsibility. When I go over there, it takes hours to accomplish the simplest things because of the dynamics of still having him be part of the process.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:50 AM   #395
Major LCF Poster!

Two posts while I was venting. Oops.

Marika, you can do it. Maybe something more mind focused like yoga would calm your spirit.

Mojocat, Good prevention. I just learned something from PHD author, Jaminet, on a podcast about fructose (fruit sugar) that could explain why sometimes I have problems and sometimes not. Apparently it interacts with polyunsaturated fat which is in many things including fish. The advice is to eat fruits with only dairy fat, or no fat at all. This falls in line with my experience of being safe with a whole grapefruit between meals, but being extra hungry after including berries with my meal.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:55 AM   #396
Senior LCF Member

And that could explain why eating fruit with greek yoghurt fills me up. I have started a love affair with greek yoghurt
Old 02-13-2013, 08:00 AM   #397
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 1, 2014
Jeaniem - that's great! Good for you.

Brandi - how did it go?

Jenise - that's just terrific!

And hi to everyone else.

I am reading the Diet Cure and right now I feel a little overwhelmed. How many supplements? What dosages? To be taken when? It's not at all clear to me.

How did those of you following it figure out what you needed?
Portia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:08 AM   #398
Senior LCF Member

If you google Underground Wellness Julia Ross there is an 80 minute podcast of an interview with her - it doesn't give doses, but it was interesting to hear her speak and answer the interviewer's questions. I fast forwarded through it to get the good bits but I plan on listening to all of it on my next walk.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:14 AM   #399
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 1, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojocat View Post
If you google Underground Wellness Julia Ross there is an 80 minute podcast of an interview with her - it doesn't give doses, but it was interesting to hear her speak and answer the interviewer's questions. I fast forwarded through it to get the good bits but I plan on listening to all of it on my next walk.
Thank you! I'd love to listen to that, but I have read her book already and I am a little frustrated by how vague it is with dosage.
Portia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #400
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portia View Post
Thank you! I'd love to listen to that, but I have read her book already and I am a little frustrated by how vague it is with dosage.
Portia, I read her book and adopted a few supplements years ago. I have multiple conditions treatable by this method and the list of possible supplements is overwelming, so I keep it very simple and it works. I just treat a particular symptom if it arises. And most important, I make sure to get my minimum protein requirement in every day so most of the aminos don't need to be supplemented any more.

If I need energy, L-tyrosine
Comfort - DLPA
Sleep aid - L-tryptophan
Etc.

These things work quickly so I only treat if symptomatic. Like taking an asprin only when you have a headache.
The doses are listed next to the aminos at the end of each chapter.
Where it gives a range, start at the low end and work up. Pay attention to when it should be taken as some aminos compete with each other.

I still have the book so if I can help at all, let me know.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #401
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/134/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Start - 2/10/13

2/10-2/13 - 3 days binge free
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #402
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/134/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine05 View Post

I binge the exact same way. I eat everything that isn't nailed down. It is always, sugar, sugar, sugar with me. I'll eat brown sugar out of a bag if I really get going. All out of control. Shoving food in my mouth as if someone is going to steal it.

I can SO relate to this. I forgot about brown sugar but I love it!
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #403
Major LCF Poster!

Boy, Another near miss at the grocery store today. Drifting trance-like through the isles with all the things I cannot - WILL NOT - eat. Brought home two safe treats. Brazil nuts and 1 dark chocolate bar. These will not set me off and fit within my PHD plan in small amounts. Still feels like a treat.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #404
Blabbermouth!!!

OK, I survived without binge. Basically I ate huge breakfast and huge dinner.

Day 4 Binge-Free!
Old 02-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #405
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/154.2/?
WOE: lc
Oh my gosh as an after school snack when I was a teen we toasted white bread and added butter and then sprinkled brown sugar/cinnamon on top. Hmm, no wonder I feel addicted to carbs.

Last edited by jeaniem; 02-13-2013 at 03:25 PM..
jeaniem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #406
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobelowcarber View Post
OK, I survived without binge. Basically I ate huge breakfast and huge dinner.

Day 4 Binge-Free!
Great I am trying to remember that overeating sometimes is far healthier than binging. Not saying you overate, just saying that some days I seem to graze endlessly.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:08 PM   #407
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Boy, Another near miss at the grocery store today. Drifting trance-like through the isles with all the things I cannot - WILL NOT - eat. Brought home two safe treats. Brazil nuts and 1 dark chocolate bar. These will not set me off and fit within my PHD plan in small amounts. Still feels like a treat.
That's the way I felt in Walmart today. Went there hungry (first mistake) and by the time I shopped and waited forever in line every candy bar at the register was calling my name. I sent a text to a DF and told her how close I was to binging and she talked some sense into me. I could have easily bought several candy bars ate them in the car and thus started a binge.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #408
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Great I am trying to remember that overeating sometimes is far healthier than binging. Not saying you overate, just saying that some days I seem to graze endlessly.
Yes, there was something really satisfying about eating huge portion at one sitting. I guess this was BAB (Leptin Reset-Big Ass Breakfast- for those who don't know what it means ). Dinner was also very satisfying. Maybe during PMS I should go back to eating BAB.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #409
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/138/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
Glad to read some successful avoidance !! I love the manta "the binge starts in the supermarket". That really is brilliant CiCi. Sometimes a simple phrase will snap you out of it and other times
But for today you are binge free. Awesome
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #410
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
That's the way I felt in Walmart today. Went there hungry (first mistake) and by the time I shopped and waited forever in line every candy bar at the register was calling my name.
I was in Walmart earlier this evening and standing in line looking at the candy too and realized I had not eaten today and still had more errands to run. Luckily right next to the candy was some beef jerky (which I have not eaten in 20 years) and I got a pack and chewed on that for a while and was completely satisfied. I think I will keep a pack stowed in my handbag for days like today.

Cici and Elaine- Oh I feel your pain. My BF's 92 year old mother fell and had a compound fracture of the bones in her lower leg and was in the hospital for a month after surgery. While in the hospital she stopped eating, and yanked out a feeding tube before she was discharged. They said she would start eating when she got home, but she didn't. So after two weeks she was back in the hospital for malnutrition and dehydration which made her have some serious dementia. So once again I was there for 12-14 hours a day trying to deal with a crazy old lady who had to be physically restrained after she pulled out the feeding tub 3 times, being combative, swearing, staying up for two days, telling people she killed her husband and various other craziness. She is back at home now and is eating a tiny amount. In her moments of clarity she understands that she will die if she does not eat and will be brought to hospice to die. It is all very stressful for us as we support her fully and to top it off she has made it clear for years that she does not like me. It is difficult to lovingly wipe someone's butt for them, bathe them and do everything for them when they are nasty to you. My closest binge moments the last couple of months have been related to the stress of dealing with her.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #411
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Doxymom
Stats: 162/162/125
WOE: LC
Start Date: 2/5/13
Hi Everybody,
Thanks for all your support and kind words. Yesterday was crazy and try as I might I could never corner my boss. So the stress built even more. Last night I really felt like eating crap after dinner, but knowing I would be reporting back here kept me in control and I made it through day 8. I just spoke to my boss and explained my situation and she was very nice. She is giving me the choice of whether I want to work next week, or just leave at the end of this one. I have to tell her tomorrow. So now I am feeling that panicky feeling that accompanies a major life change. I keep worrying that moving my business to my home will backfire and I will regret it. I worry that my income will drop significantly, I worry my clients won't be happy or that things won't be perfect. So of course I feel like bingeing. But I won't, I am almost through day 9 and I don't want to lose my momentum. Without all of you I would be eating chocolate and cookies and chips and pizza and God knows what else until I am sick I know it. Thank you all for your support and for allowing me to vent here.
Brandi
Doxymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:30 PM   #412
Senior LCF Member

Oh my God Frankie I just read your post. Your stress must be UNBELIEVEABLE, I have a MIL that hates my guts and the idea of caring for her the way you care for yours is horrifying for me. Kudos to you. You deserve a medal.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:34 AM   #413
Major LCF Poster!

Frankie- so sorry for what you are going thru. Dementia is wicked. Every horrible personality trait surfaces!
Brandi- you got this Girl! Change is good
Cici & Elaine- my mom fell 16 months ago in the middle of the night. She broke her shoulder. We were no longer able to care for her at home and we moved her into an assisted living facility. She was placed on Hospice and everything spiraled out of control. A year later, they took her off Hospice! I guess she showed us! She is 88 and often confused... Very stressful for us but she seems content so we are thankful for that!

Goals for 2014

Remain food-sane 1 day at a time
Continue with yoga
Old 02-14-2013, 05:54 AM   #414
Major LCF Poster!

You are doing great, Brandy.

Frankie, Lisa and Elaine, it really helps to know what you have been dealing with. Won.t let it be an excuse to binge.

Last edited by cici52; 02-14-2013 at 05:55 AM..
Old 02-14-2013, 06:18 AM   #415
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Elaine05
Stats: 210/178/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Sept 2011
I totally agree that overeating for a day beats the heck out of binging. You can eat a LOT of food and not end up with too many carbs. I 've done it tons of times and it doesn't end up on the scale or trigger a week of eating like binging with carbs. I've fried up a pound of ground turkey--spiced it up--and eaten it out of the fry pan! And I can't even imagine how much cream cheese I've eaten but I know it is obscene!! And it was all ok. Ok as in it was just a "pause" not a backtrack.
I like that "over eating" starts at the grocery store. I've been doing my "impulse shopping" on line these days. Did you know they have brown sugar extract or peanut butter, or pineapple? tons of flavors. Add a little water, low carb thickener and you end up with a sauce that make chicken breasts at least interesting.
I'm amazed that some of you can eat any fruit other than some berries. Fruit sets me up big time for cravings which, in me, leads to binging. I think I may be extra sensitive to fructose or something.
Elaine05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:58 AM   #416
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine05 View Post
I totally agree that overeating for a day beats the heck out of binging. You can eat a LOT of food and not end up with too many carbs. I 've done it tons of times and it doesn't end up on the scale or trigger a week of eating like binging with carbs. I've fried up a pound of ground turkey--spiced it up--and eaten it out of the fry pan! And I can't even imagine how much cream cheese I've eaten but I know it is obscene!! And it was all ok. Ok as in it was just a "pause" not a backtrack.
I like that "over eating" starts at the grocery store. I've been doing my "impulse shopping" on line these days. Did you know they have brown sugar extract or peanut butter, or pineapple? tons of flavors. Add a little water, low carb thickener and you end up with a sauce that make chicken breasts at least interesting.
I'm amazed that some of you can eat any fruit other than some berries. Fruit sets me up big time for cravings which, in me, leads to binging. I think I may be extra sensitive to fructose or something.
I can attest to this control method of overeating to avoid a binge, too. The past few days have been difficult with cravings and desire to binge. I have overeaten by weight loss standards but stayed with safe foods and the scales have actually gone down a pound. Even the middle of the night rice I called a binge was a case of too much of the right food at the wrong time.

Regarding the fruit, Elaine, there may be a couple factors that may contribute to your reaction. One being how low carb you are otherwise, the second being whether you are eating it within a couple hours of any polyunsaturated fat which fructose interacts with causing a greater blood sugar response. Alcohol also has the same interaction.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #417
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jenise
Stats: sw 226/cw 209.5/ gw 154 ht 5'5"
Start Date: restart 2/1/2013
day 15

Anyone else struggling with the Vday desire to binge? I work at an office where everyone brings in treats and sticks in them in a place where I have to go 4-5 times today - so it's a stuggle each time to leave it alone. My boss put a couple of sugar-free chocolates in my mailbox. I don't eat the sugar-free stuff mostly and am finding that just one is making be feel the cravings. I am guessing due to all of the sugar alcohols. Generally if I want chocolate I just have one of those individually wrapped dove dark chocolates - satisfies me without the cravings. I am going to be strong and resist and it totally helps that as of this am I have lost 8.5 pounds since I began this challenge!

Happy Valentine's Day all. May we resist the obtacles places in out path and see them as opportunites to be strong and healthy!
jenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:15 PM   #418
Major LCF Poster!

Somebody bought me a big chocolate Hersey kiss today I thanks them but told them I couldn't eat it because I have problems regulating my blood sugar. I had no desire to eat it though so that was a real surprise I can't explain why- maybe the supplements, maybe ketosis... Amazing whatever the reason
Old 02-14-2013, 10:46 PM   #419
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Lisa, Cici, I appreciate your positive words.
This was a very difficult Valentines day. when I got to work today, my boss (after being very nice when I gave notice) made me feel so uncomfortable that I decided this Saturday would be my last day. Then the awful coworker I told you about literally yelled across the room about some friend of hers she was gonna try to get to replace me. Of course this was in front of my client whose mouth dropped open. So excruciatingly embarrassing. Then another client brings me a box of chocolates and says, "sorry to tempt you". There were brownies and cookies all around me, and nothing makes me want to binge (and possibly drink) like the combination of hostile, catty, drama queens and loads of cookies, pastry and candy. (I am a manicurist in a hair salon so you can imagine the atmosphere). Well, I didn't partake in anything. I gave away the candy, and when I got home DH had a huge bouquet of roses and some sugar free chocolates for me. Good man. Had a normal law carb dinner, a couple of DH's SF chocolates and nothing else. Made it through day 10!
BTW Jenise, your weight loss is wonderful , congrats!
Frankie, I completely ignored the nasty woman just like you said. Not a word from me!
Portia, thanks for asking how giving notice went. So nice of you!
I hope everyone made it through this holiday unscathed!
Old 02-15-2013, 03:00 AM   #420
Major LCF Poster!

Brandi-
That coworker sounds like she's anything but sophisticated. Girl ya can't do much about trash other than what you did. You took the high road and that speaks volumes.
You never have to tolerate a hostile work environment. Walk away with your head held high. That woman can only dream about having your level of sophistication and class....