Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #361
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/157.8/?
WOE: lc
The tendency to binge after eating a low carb meal perplexes me especially when I read here and in the books about how people finally stopped binging after discovering the low carb woe. My record is 6 months binge free when I was at goal back in 2010, now I am lucky when I make it a month w/o serious binging. My binges have worsened over the years as well, actually I think that really initially I only overate and didn't really binge. Like before I would consider eating too much candy or cookies a binge because it wasn't part of my plan for the day. Now I can literally eat a pint or two of ice cream and 1lb. bags of cookies along with bags of choc. peanuts and pretzels- literally eating until sick, when I just start to feel a little less bloated then I will eat a bag or two of microwave popcorn. I don't know what I might be missing nutritionally? I take a mulit, D3, cod liver oil and just started taking some extra amino acids. I especially don't understand what caused me to lose it 2010 after the stellar 6 months binge free, but it was very sudden like I just remember feeling very depressed and not caring anymore and just wanted carbs.

Something is off with sleep now as well, I always sleep poorly when in ketosis, but function okay. The new thing is very scary dreams that I can't even really remember, they scare me so much that I cry in my sleep. Three times this past week my DH and son have had to wake me up when they heard me crying.

Last edited by jeaniem; 02-10-2013 at 05:29 PM..
jeaniem is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #362
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Jeanie, that must be so painful. When you are low carbing, do you still eat wheat and dairy? Your binge foods look like wheat and dairy might be the culprits. You could have an underlying sensitivity that has grown stronger over the years. I cannot get near wheat. Butter and HWC are about the only dairy that don't set me off.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:47 PM   #363
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Doxymom
Stats: 162/162/125
WOE: LC
Start Date: 2/5/13
Jeanie, your binges sound exactly like mine. I haven't always binged but in recent years overeating has become bingeing. Here's what struck me with your last post: hormones. When mine are out of whack it can cause bingeing, or crying, or yelling, or panic attacks. Another thing that happened to me was a medication I had to take for digestive problems. Reglan. That stuff made me depressed, crazy, bingeing, sobbing and drinking (alchohol-which I never have cared about). I thought the medication worked on my stomach, but it turned out it worked on my brain to send the signal to digest. The doctor never bothered to tell me about the side effects. Are you taking any sort of medication? Maybe there is some contraindications that could be affecting you. My heart really goes out to you. It was absolute desperation that brought me to this forum, and I can imagine the confusion, frustration and depression you are feeling. You are in my prayers.

Jeanie, I want to add that I came here because I was desperate to stop bingeing. I could not control it or understand what was going on with me. Bingeing every night, sleeping just a couple of hours, looking like I had it all together at work, but inside totally depressed and confused. I was about to go back to 12 step meetings even though I didn't really feel I belonged there and my experience wasn't totally positive. Then I found this and now I have 6 days free from bingeing. It has been like a miracle. I have you to thank for that. Because you started this forum all of us here have support we all need and couldn't get anywhere else. Don't give up. You will figure this out and get past it, I am sure of it.

Last edited by Doxymom; 02-11-2013 at 12:37 AM..
Doxymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:47 AM   #364
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/138/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
Hi Jeanie
What does it feel like before and during your binge? If you can pinpoint the feeling before (lethargy, depression, anxiety) and the feeling during maybe that would provide some insight.
For me, before is anxious.... Like I have an itch and if I don't scratch it I'll die. That feeling builds to a crescendo (almost a frenzy) until I can get my fix. During the binge I feel relief, like I opened a valve and released the pressure. Of course as I near the end I feel guilt and self loathing

Having pinpointed the anxiety, I went with the GABA and 5htp supplements. They have been a godsend. Any urge that I have had has been minimal and manageable.
Have you tried supplements? I don't remember.

Goals for 2014

Remain food-sane 1 day at a time
Continue with yoga
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:22 AM   #365
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/134/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
I'd like to start this challenge again. I've been gone for a while and haven't weighed either. I got on the scale this morning and found myself at 131 which really made me happy. We had quite a bit of company (overnight) for a while and then I had surgery on my foot. I tried to stay off foods that set me off...sugar and bread mostly...and just stick with measured amounts of foods that seem to work for me. Now my plan is to get back into the JUDDD rotations.

Start - 2/10/13

2/10-2/11 - 1/30 days binge free

(this is for first day of the challenge)

"You must do the thing you think you cannot do." Eleanor Roosevelt

"You can preach a better sermon with your life than with your lips."
Oliver Goldsmith

"Make peace with the past so it won't screw up the present." Regina Britt
shirlc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:06 AM   #366
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 1, 2014
[QUOTE=Doxymom;16252275]Jeanie, I want to add that I came here because I was desperate to stop bingeing. I could not control it or understand what was going on with me. Bingeing every night, sleeping just a couple of hours, looking like I had it all together at work, but inside totally depressed and confused. I was about to go back to 12 step meetings even though I didn't really feel I belonged there and my experience wasn't totally positive./QUOTE]

This is pretty much where I am right now. Thank you, Jeanie, for starting this thread. I read the entire thing this morning. I actually have the Diet Cure but never tried the protocol, so that might be a good place for me to start.

I'll post back later after I get my head together.

Beginning Day 1.

Portia's Journal

Last edited by Portia; 02-11-2013 at 07:14 AM..
Portia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:07 AM   #367
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Elaine05
Stats: 210/178/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Sept 2011
jeaniem. Some days are like that. I was pretty close yesterday. No clue why somedays are just all about food, food, food. I didn't blow it carb wise very much, but honestly who sits down with a jar of walnut butter and just eats it with a spoon? After eating 3 oz of cream cheese with a little sweeter and lemon? Today I'm promising myself I'm going to be a grown-up.
Elaine05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #368
Senior LCF Member

Welcome Portia!
Old 02-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #369
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine05 View Post
jeaniem. Some days are like that. I was pretty close yesterday. No clue why somedays are just all about food, food, food. I didn't blow it carb wise very much, but honestly who sits down with a jar of walnut butter and just eats it with a spoon? After eating 3 oz of cream cheese with a little sweeter and lemon? Today I'm promising myself I'm going to be a grown-up.
I used to think it was all about the carbs, but it's just not for me. I can stay below my carbs and totally binge.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #370
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxymom View Post
Welcome Portia!
Thanks!
Old 02-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #371
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portia View Post
I used to think it was all about the carbs, but it's just not for me. I can stay below my carbs and totally binge.
Same here. If simply eating LC solved the problem I would have stopped binging years ago.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #372
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biochic View Post
Hi Jeanie
What does it feel like before and during your binge? If you can pinpoint the feeling before (lethargy, depression, anxiety) and the feeling during maybe that would provide some insight.
For me, before is anxious.... Like I have an itch and if I don't scratch it I'll die. That feeling builds to a crescendo (almost a frenzy) until I can get my fix. During the binge I feel relief, like I opened a valve and released the pressure. Of course as I near the end I feel guilt and self loathing

Having pinpointed the anxiety, I went with the GABA and 5htp supplements. They have been a godsend. Any urge that I have had has been minimal and manageable.
Have you tried supplements? I don't remember.
Lisa
My understanding from the diet cure is you only need these supplements until you get enough protein (amino acids) naturally from your foods. On the whole I eat very high protein so I don't know if they would help. The 5htp makes me groggy and I was also told not to mix it with my wellbutrin. I have not tried GABA though. I know on some level that the binges are caused by restricting food, but refuse to stay overweight so I keep trying. I never binged until after my first diet. I do feel tormented by the urges to binge when they occur and can't relax until I finally just do it. Like you said the relief is short lived.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #373
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jenise
Stats: sw 226/cw 209.5/ gw 154 ht 5'5"
Start Date: restart 2/1/2013
Day 11

Hi all - It's day 11 for me not bingeing!! I think my longest is about three months so each day counts

Brandi - I am sorry to hear about the loss of your dad! My whole family is type 2 insulin dependent and only my mom and I understand the role of carbs in the whole process and trying to convince anyone else is just not realistic at this point. It's frustrating to be in the know and not be able to get others to see it.

Re - descriptions of bingeing. I think my binges are similar to others on this blog as far as anxiety (sometimes boredom or grief or loneliness will get me) - another big one for me is if I don't eat enough (or at all) in the morning and afternoon - then about 3 pm I get so hungry I can't feel full no matter how much I eat. I am pretty sure it is due to the drop in blood sugar which occurs when you don't eat and then your brain thinks you are starving and insists you need to keep eating. Oh and the dang hormones- don't even get me started on those!

I haven't figured out the role LC plays yet. When I am doing really well I don't have any cravings and then I either get busy or don't plan my meals or am too tired to cook and end up making a not as lc choice which begins the cascade to bingeing for me. Since I only make it about three months I guess each time I start again is a new experiment about what is going on for me.

I am relatively new here but I would like to welcome Portia and welcome back shirlc.
jenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #374
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120/118-123
WOE: JUDDD
OK. I am joining you guys, if you don't mind.
I have been 2 months binge-free and binged last week for 3 days.

Day 2 binge-free for me
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #375
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Portia. Welcome to the discussion. Let us know how we can help. Glad you are back Shirl.

I haven't had a real binge in quite a bit. Not counting days. Have eaten beyond my weight loss cals on a few occasions and have switched to Wwpoints+ on a tracbites app. It is easy for me to go over w/fat even when eating right up to my maintenance calories if I don't track something, which won't help me get to goal. The points tracker helps me keep the calories at a weight loss level without obsessing over minutia and there are some free foods which help when I am more hungry.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:51 PM   #376
Senior LCF Member

Welcome tobelowcarber! I am a newbie but haven't binged at all since joining. I am on day 7. This group is wonderful!

Jenise, thanks for your sympathy. Trying to convince diabetics about low carb is like pulling teeth. I am so glad your mom gets it. I too am from a long line of diabetics and thus far, I have been lucky enough to avoid it. I believe low carb is the only thing that will keep me from developing it, at least for the longest period of time.

Jeanie, I just looked up wellbutrin and one of the common side effects listed was abnormal dreams. Just wanted to let you know in case you weren't aware.

Brandi
Old 02-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #377
Big Yapper!!!!

Binge free for 7 days now, it's been a while since I have made it this far. Last night I was very very close to eating trail mix with m&m's but didn't. It felt so good to wake this morning and know that I had not binged. I don't even know why I crave these foods, they make me congested and sometimes when I eat a lot of peanuts I get wheezing in my chest. I have had allergy testing and supposedly am only sensitive to shellfish which I eat w/o any problems.Thanks everyone for coming here and sharing your successes as well as struggles.

Brandi I have been on the wellbutrin for years without issue. I guess things could change over time though. I have tried to go off of it and always end up back on it within a week or so. I have tried many other A/D and don't do well with them.

Last edited by jeaniem; 02-11-2013 at 05:50 PM..
Old 02-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #378
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Lisa
My understanding from the diet cure is you only need these supplements until you get enough protein (amino acids) naturally from your foods. On the whole I eat very high protein so I don't know if they would help. The 5htp makes me groggy and I was also told not to mix it with my wellbutrin. I have not tried GABA though. I know on some level that the binges are caused by restricting food, but refuse to stay overweight so I keep trying. I never binged until after my first diet. I do feel tormented by the urges to binge when they occur and can't relax until I finally just do it. Like you said the relief is short lived.
I take the GABA and 5 htp in the late afternoon but if you were told not to take one of the, with your regular med then certainly I would not. Look into the GABA it is more specific to anxiety and you may find it helpful. I don't think getting enough protein is necessarily the issue. I think you can still be deficient in one of the neurotransmitters due to some glitch in the metabolic pathway. You may not make a sufficient amount even though the building blocks should all be present and available
Old 02-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #379
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Binge free for 7 days now, it's been a while since I have made it this far. Last night I was very very close to eating trail mix with m&m's but didn't. It felt so good to wake this morning and know that I had not binged. I don't even know why I crave these foods, they make me congested and sometimes when I eat a lot of peanuts I get wheezing in my chest. I have had allergy testing and supposedly am only sensitive to shellfish which I eat w/o any problems.Thanks everyone for coming here and sharing your successes as well as struggles.

Brandi I have been on the wellbutrin for years without issue. I guess things could change over time though. I have tried to go off of it and always end up back on it within a week or so. I have tried many other A/D and don't do well with them.
Way to be strong and resist the binge! Trail mix is hard to resist! Peanuts are a trigger food for me, but it sounds like you have a real sensitivity. I hear you about the Wellbutrin, you know your body best.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:04 AM   #380
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

7 days is great
Old 02-12-2013, 08:17 AM   #381
Major LCF Poster!

Yay, Jeanie! Great job.

Well, I am starting over this morning. Woke at 2:30 this morning with stomach ache and anxiety which I solved with 2c rice w/butter. There were several possible reasons for this. I ate several large fruit servings during the day including evening snack but was under on total calories which may have contributed both from a glyc. load and calorie standpoint to the hunger. In hindsight, I know I ate the fruit because I was craving sweets for some reason. I spent time helping my mom and stepdad who are going through difficulties related to aging which definately contributed to the anxiety. I am also going through some personal and spiritual struggles which cause inner conflict. I think our spiritual health is a definate contributor and definately have more binge issues when I am not at peace in this area.

Forgiveness and starting over. This morning deal with what is going on. Salmon, blueberries and 1/2 potato for breakfast. Planning a quiet day.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #382
Senior LCF Member

Cici, sorry to hear about your struggles. My uncle has been dealing with an aging mom and has put on a lot of weight over it. Good for you for getting right back on the horse! I personally have to be careful with fruit because it can totally start the sweet cravings.

Today I have a challenge. I am giving notice at my job. I am moving my clientele to my home and in my business they have a tendency to fire you on the spot when you announce plans to leave. If they don't fire me, then I have two weeks to deal with all the questions from my co workers, and all the stress having to watch the loud, obnoxious b***h (who works next to me and has done everything in her power to brown nose the boss and steal my clients) celebrate, (and think she caused) my leaving. (My reasons have nothing to do with her, getting away from her is just a bonus) but it galls me to imagine having to see her rejoicing over something so stressful for me. Usually stress like this causes me to eat cookies and chips, but since I have gotten through 7 days so far, I don't want to lose that. I am proud of my 7 days! So, if you can, please send some good thoughts my way today everybody. I need all the support I can get!
Old 02-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #383
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/134/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Start - 2/10/13

2/10-2/12 - 2 days binge free

Thanks, Jenise and Cici!

Doxiemom, sorry you are going through this...hope all turns out really well for you!
shirlc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #384
Major LCF Poster!

Brandi, Praying for the best for you and a smooth transition.

Thanks for your support. It is so nice to have a place to lay it out and only experience kindness.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #385
Big Yapper!!!!

Stay strong Brandi!

Cici- You seem to do so well not letting the slips spiral into days and weeks of binging.

Hope everyone is having a good day
Old 02-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #386
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120/118-123
WOE: JUDDD
Day 3 binge-free.

I have noticed that cardio helps with the cravings. Yesterday afternoon I had some binging thoughts and decided to do a quick 1mile walk DVD and believe it or not the binging thoughts disappeared when I was done and I was able to eat a normal dinner. So from now on if I feel like binging, I am going to do a quick exercise dvd (this will be in addition to my normal exercise I do for the day). Maybe the serotonin release after the exercise fixed the binging desire? I hope this works next time as well.

Jeanie- congrats on staying strong for 7 days

Doxymom- I hope the change works best for you

Cici- kudos for moving on

Biochic- great to hear that all the amino acids are helping you!

My Journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...orward-11.html

Last edited by tobelowcarber; 02-12-2013 at 01:36 PM..
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #387
Major LCF Poster!

Hello everyone!

It is always interesting to see some of the very same struggles shared by all of us. Like an invisible thread linking us together.

As Friday approaches I am both excited for my vacation and terrified In the past vacation meant indulging or more accurately over indulging in both food and drink! I have to confess - I love good beer, sangria,and cosmos on the beach I would drink 3-4 beers for the day. Happy hours more drinks then bring on the appetizers and dinner the eating and drinking has always been a part of the experience. My DH is going to be the food police and that will just annoy me... I need to police myself but
The good news is that with this new BP medication, I am supposed to limit alcohol and since I don't know how my body will react I plan on being very cautious. Hopefully being less tipsy will help me keep my food choices in check !
Old 02-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #388
Major LCF Poster!

It will be an interesting experiment for you, Lisa, and cutting back will give you a chance to focus on the other great aspects of vacationing. Maybe if alcohol is important to the fun, try a drink with dinner before you go. Good nutritious food should limit the interaction with the meds. and give you an idea of how it will effect you while you are home and in a safe environment.

When not in weight loss mode, I love a coctail before dinner but don't have any medications to contraindicate it.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:17 PM   #389
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
Lisa- I agree that if you limit the alcohol then it will be easier to say no to poor food choices.

Cici- Dealing with an aging parent is very difficult and stressful. I hope you are able to talk to others about the stress so it does not build up.

Marika- Great job with the exercise and getting rid of those bingey feelings.

Brandi- Since you know it will be stressful maybe you can plan a few things in advance to head off a binge? Pull out motivational flashcards, listen to a relaxation cd for a few minutes, get up and go get a drink of water and step outside for a few minutes for fresh air,,,whatever helps you cope. If that woman says anything to you just smile a little and raise your eyebrows a bit and don't say anything to her. It'll drive her nuts that you are happy and not responding to her.

Jeanie- Congrats on avoiding that binge last night. I love the feeling of victory in the morning when I know I did particularly well the day before.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:02 PM   #390
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jenise
Stats: sw 226/cw 209.5/ gw 154 ht 5'5"
Start Date: restart 2/1/2013
day 12

Day 12 still binge free. Close call tonight. Got out of work late with low blood sugar was starving was starting to think about what I might get from fast food chains that could be low carb. However, this is a slippery slope for me....i trick myself into thimking i'll order lc, but get everything else..so I went straight home and made an easy dinner. Still feeling cravings for food, but am headed to bed. Also, because of lc and no bingeing I have been able to cut my insulin from 65 units to 40 units. Workin my way to insulin free!!

Great job ladies! I agree with everything Phranquie says below....all this hard work will pay off as we continue to get healthier!
jenise is offline   Reply With Quote