Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 12:52 AM   #331
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Doxymom
Stats: 162/162/125
WOE: LC
Start Date: 2/5/13
Day 3 binge free! Today the cravings were less. I thought about going to the pantry, but it wasn't as overwhelming. Back in ketosis today so maybe that's helping.

Jenise, good for you for being honest with your doc. It's very brave of you. Every time I lie about what I eat, I am in binge mode. I can remember times I was glad DH wasn't home for dinner because I could order a pizza and I didn't have to share. I could make chocolate chip cookies and eat as many as I wanted and he would never know. I truly believe that we can only overcome this if we get totally honest with everybody, including ourselves. Good luck at your appointment.
Doxymom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2013, 03:49 AM   #332
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/141/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
Good for you Jenise.
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:31 AM   #333
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Elaine05
Stats: 210/178/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Sept 2011
Binge free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxymom View Post
Day 3 binge free! Today the cravings were less. I thought about going to the pantry, but it wasn't as overwhelming. Back in ketosis today so maybe that's helping.

Jenise, good for you for being honest with your doc. It's very brave of you. Every time I lie about what I eat, I am in binge mode. I can remember times I was glad DH wasn't home for dinner because I could order a pizza and I didn't have to share. I could make chocolate chip cookies and eat as many as I wanted and he would never know. I truly believe that we can only overcome this if we get totally honest with everybody, including ourselves. Good luck at your appointment.
Good for you Jenise, and how funny your sneaking food. I used to do the exact same thing. Sometimes I would hide a bag of cookies under that seat in my car. Yet my husband never said a thing about what I ate. I guess by hiding it from him I was hiding it from myself in some weird, strange way.

Got on the scale today and dropped another couple of pounds. Color me happy. This thread seems to be working well for me. Oh, my keytone strips show no color but they are probably 6 or 7 months old. I know they say 90 days after opening but is that really true? Anyone have any experience with that?
Elaine05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:36 AM   #334
Junior LCF Member

That was a very interesting post Frankie. Thank you. It all made great sense but I'd never thought of them before. I think I'd better print it and stick it on my refrigerator.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:05 AM   #335
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Good morning, Ladies. I am doing very well and feeling very well. Have been focused on good nutrition. Trying to get in all the nourishment my body needs and it is responding favorably. I have stopped logging each food and am instead just checking off the boxes for protein, starch/fruit, veggies. Have been following Perfect Health Diet protocol, loosely because I don't have the budget for some of the recommendations. Just now (after a few weeks of trial and error) starting to see some changes. Have not had the room or inclination for anything binge related for a few days. Last night slept for nearly 9 hours as opposed to my more typical 4-6. Yesterday 3 meals, no snacks, no hunger, no cravings, good sane happy energy inspite of some high stress circumstances which will be with me for a while. Hoping it is not a fluke and continues. Others who started out like me but have been on it longer are reporting similar and consistant results. Happily, the pounds from my recent bingy week are going away one by one. I don't know how many days it has been since day 1 for me but focusing on the positive seems to be working better than the white knuckle approach. I will keep posting here if you don't mind. It will help to keep me honest, if you know what I mean.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:08 AM   #336
Major LCF Poster!

Ha! Laughing, Elaine, because you were posting at the same time. Honesty is a huge part of our recovery. yes?
Old 02-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #337
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine05 View Post
Good for you Jenise, and how funny your sneaking food. I used to do the exact same thing. Sometimes I would hide a bag of cookies under that seat in my car. Yet my husband never said a thing about what I ate. I guess by hiding it from him I was hiding it from myself in some weird, strange way.
DH never said anything about my bingeing. It was just early in the marriage and I didn't want him to know. Now, sadly, I don't care anymore and the poor man has seen me go from chips, to cookies, to peanut butter from the jar to God knows what else. The only thing he says is "what's wrong?". In keeping with my new food honesty I have been sharing with him about this forum. How incredibly helpful it has been. Without all of you I would never have been able to go these 3 days. (I have a stressful job change coming). He has seen me go through therapy, a medical weight loss clinic, and laser fat zapping treatments (which don't work if you go home and binge afterward BTW!) all in the last few months. The only thing that has allowed me to arrest this is the daily posting here and the inspiration and support from all of you. Thanks for allowing me to be a part of this.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #338
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Have not had the room or inclination for anything binge related for a few days. Last night slept for nearly 9 hours as opposed to my more typical 4-6. Yesterday 3 meals, no snacks, no hunger, no cravings, good sane happy energy inspite of some high stress circumstances which will be with me for a while. Hoping it is not a fluke and continues.
Cici- This is great news! It is not a fluke and you can stick to it. I try to remember the feeling of accomplishment I have in the morning when I did really well the day before. It helps to further motivate me to get another binge free day under my belt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxymom View Post
DH never said anything about my bingeing. It was just early in the marriage and I didn't want him to know. Now, sadly, I don't care anymore and the poor man has seen me go from chips, to cookies, to peanut butter from the jar to God knows what else. The only thing he says is "what's wrong?". In keeping with my new food honesty I have been sharing with him about this forum.
Doxy, it is great that you are sharing things with him. Secrets about food and feelings are a root problem for lots of bingers. Coming out and being honest with him and letting him know you are getting support is going to help both of you. He obviously knows when you are suffering when he asks what is wrong. If you can't talk about it in the moment (sometimes I just cannot talk about my feelings and have to sit with them a while) ask him if you can talk later.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:08 AM   #339
Senior LCF Member

Yeah, DH is a really good guy. Really supportive. On that note tonight he started to make some popcorn and before he did he asked if it was going to be too much for me. I told him I have to be able to deal with the smell of things like that and please go ahead. I feel so much stronger this week than I have in a long time, the cravings are decreasing everyday! So he had his popcorn and amazingly I didn't even think about it! Day 4 no binge!

Another note on honesty. Today one of my clients brought me these amazing chocolate covered cake balls she bakes. I asked her if I could freeze them and when she asked why I told her about this forum. Get this: She asked for them back! She didn't want to undo my progress. So different than all the other people who insist on bringing me baked goods, sugary homemade sauces and dressings and candy all the time. Especially when they know I am dieting, or see weight loss. So today no popcorn, no cake balls, no bingeing! WooHoo!
Old 02-09-2013, 06:55 AM   #340
Junior LCF Member

Doxy, what a thoughtful client. I'm betting she is someone who has been through this an knows how hard food in the freezer can be. I ran a diet group once and on a questionnaire I asked, 'food calls out to me from the freezer and refrigerator". Every single person answered "yes".
And I think it is wonderful that you can be honest with your DH about your eating.
Frankly, I still sneak. Has really nothing to do with my husband it is all about me being embarrassed by my lack of control (and my husband has never had a weight problem and eats any and everything he wants.) I'm still waiting to grow up regarding food.
Anyway, that is why I find a group like this to be so very useful. A nice safe place I can be honest, at least with myself.
And CiCi--same time and same place! How about that?
Old 02-09-2013, 08:53 AM   #341
Senior LCF Member

Elaine, interesting about the food calling out to you. That is very, very true. Although I am feeling really strong right now, who's to say how I'll feel next week? Having her cake balls in the freezer may have been too much for me. She struggles with weight and understands.
I get your feeling embarrassed about food and sneaking. That is exactly what I used to do (before I got über comfortable with DH) There were even times I would drive through a burger place, eat on the way home, hide the wrappers, go home and make dinner. He knows all about it now, but how embarrassing! I even toyed with the idea of putting an avatar pic of my 3 dachshunds instead of myself to protect my anonymity, since I figured I'd be airing my dirty laundry. But at least for me, putting my face on my bingeing is helping me not lie to myself. (not that I think anybody else needs to do that, it is just another little thing that helps me). On that note, my name is Brandi.
I agree, this forum is incredibly helpful. While I enjoy reading other forums about recipes, what has worked for others weight loss etc, this one truly helps strengthen me enough to get through the day without a binge. I am not crash dieting either, which is what I do when I don't binge. I am eating VLC, higher fat, normal portioned meals and I feel less crazy than I have in a long time. I hope you all don't mind my daily postings, I don't mean to bombard you, it's just that I have been praying everyday for the strength to control my eating and this is what did it.
Good luck everybody, not bingeing over the weekend. This will be my first weekend so this should really be the test of my new found strength.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:03 AM   #342
Major LCF Poster!

So glad you are here, Brandi. You will do great this weekend.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #343
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Was wondering if anyone has any ideas about this pattern I am finding in my binge pattern. I have done well for 3 days now, but last night I kept waking up with a sense of fear and was restless. This morning I woke up hungry from the get go and almost always don't eat til later in the morning, sometimes not until lunch. I don't starve myself I am usually just not hungry for breakfast. Anyway this waking at night with the panicky feeling always seems to happen to me when I am doing well and all to often seems to be the beginning of the binge struggles.
Jeanie, I don't see where anybody answered this. I am certainly not credentialled but do have a similar cycle of a few successful days, also feelings of well being and confidence followed by severe restlessness and continuing hunger. Here are some thoughts.

1)The body is very skilled at getting us to give it what it wants (nourishment). It may drive those feelings and thoughts to get us to eat. Being really well nourished seems to help keep this behavior at bay.

2)The body is very skilled at getting us to give it what it wants (comfort). If we are not stuffing our emotions with food, there are all kinds of things going on inside that the brain isn't used to dealing with because of our usual habit of bingeing 'til numb. This sets us up for the restless panicky feeling because we aren't used to alowing all the intense stuff to exist undrugged.

3)The body is very skilled at getting us to give it what it wants (status quo). It just doesn't like change and will continue to throw tantrums as l0ng as they result in getting what it wants.

Missing you. Hope you come back soon.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #344
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Cici
Old 02-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #345
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/148.6/?
WOE: lc
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Jeanie, I don't see where anybody answered this. I am certainly not credentialled but do have a similar cycle of a few successful days, also feelings of well being and confidence followed by severe restlessness and continuing hunger. Here are some thoughts.

1)The body is very skilled at getting us to give it what it wants (nourishment). It may drive those feelings and thoughts to get us to eat. Being really well nourished seems to help keep this behavior at bay.

2)The body is very skilled at getting us to give it what it wants (comfort). If we are not stuffing our emotions with food, there are all kinds of things going on inside that the brain isn't used to dealing with because of our usual habit of bingeing 'til numb. This sets us up for the restless panicky feeling because we aren't used to alowing all the intense stuff to exist undrugged.

3)The body is very skilled at getting us to give it what it wants (status quo). It just doesn't like change and will continue to throw tantrums as l0ng as they result in getting what it wants.

Missing you. Hope you come back soon.

Thank you Cici. I have also read that the if we can stop the binges/overeating that eventually the brain will adapt and accept our new patterns of normal eating. I am doing pretty well haven't binged for several days now, but have had to accept once and for all that strict high fat LC eating does not satisfy me mentally or physically, I do better with lower fat and high protein. My sleep is still pretty bad though, twice this week my son and DH had to wake me because they said I was crying in my sleep.

Sorry I have been MIA, but sometimes I do worse when I come here and over think things and just need a little time away or just come in and read.

Glad to hear you are doing well.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #346
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jenise
Stats: sw 226/cw 209.5/ gw 154 ht 5'5"
Start Date: restart 2/1/2013
Day 9

Good Morning ladies. I feel very connected to many of the discussions you have been having this week. The one that jumps out the most is hiding food - I know that Elaine and Doxy both discussed hiding food/evidence from a partner. I know that in some of my more intense binges I start hiding food/evidence from myself (burying a layer down in the trash or running it right out to the dumpster) as well as not sharing with family/friends. I can only imagine what I would do if I had a partner to hide it from. The funny thing is this year I have been working on being more honest about my eating (and my spending) to others. I shared this with my mom, and three of my close friends - all of whom were very supportive. My mom and 2 of my friends also struggle with their weight. I also, as I stated in my last post shared it with my doctor on Friday. It went really well actually.

I had been feeling like she might be annoyed with me because my progress had been so slow. I have been seeing her for years and my blood sugar numbers and weight fluxuations clearly reflect my bingeing. I told her about this site and that I am trying to stay with 50 net cards (25 g sugars) a day. I said if my blood sugar doesn't come down I would go to 40 net carbs. She said she prefers I stay at 50 because it is more realistic for maintenance and less likely to cause a binge out of boredom of variety of food. She also believes my sugars will stay in line at 50. She was really happy that I was thinking so much about it and that my slow progress wasn't due to lack of caring or willingness to treat my disease, but out of struggle with the bingeing. (Our last couple of appointments have been lectures about the long-term impact of high blood sugar on the body.)

One of the best things that happened is I shared what I was going to say to her with one of my best friends - John. We go out to eat together at least once a month and sometimes I stay with the LC and sometimes ... Anyway, he asked what he could do to help and I asked if when it came to ordering and I seemed to be struggling if he remind me I made a promise to myself and that the temptation just isn't worth it and he is more than willing to do so. I am going to have the same conversation with my mom and my other two close friends. My bingeing is officially out of the closet.

I am 9 days into this challenge. I don't have any cravings. I have lost 5.5 pounds (down to 210.5). I know that this is mostly water weight and I haven't eaten this LC in years (in the past several I was trying to do 75-100 net - which obviously isn't low enough for me). I also don't even lose the water weight at the 75-100 ncpd and weight loss is like 1 lb per month or less - which makes it hard to maintain a diet. That 200 benchmark is in sight again and this time I am just going to stay steady and not sabotage this for myself.

One more quick note - the American Diabetes Assn recommends limiting carbs to 45-60 net carbs per meal if you can believe that! Thats 135-180 net carbs per day. I just wonder how many Americans follow this advice rather than really experimenting and seeing if a much lower amount is really needed for their health. I also wonder how much extra medication pharmaceutical companies get to sell because diabetics are encouraged to eat more carbs that is probably healthy for their diabetes. My goal is not only to get my blood sugars in a healthy range this year, but I want to cut my meds in half as well.

I hope you all have a good Saturday. I going to hang out with my mom and grandpa for a while. Sorry for the really long post!!
jenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #347
Major LCF Poster!

Jenise, You are really taking the bull by the horns. Amazing strides. Isn't it wonderful how everyone you talked to are so willing to support and encourage you. You are doing some great thinking too on finding the woe that your body needs.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:09 AM   #348
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/141/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
Hi everyone!
Jeanie- I was getting worried about you- glad you checked in

Cici- good news. Seems once we get on a roll, the urges decrease significantly. It is the getting on a roll part that seems so elusive

Elaine- that damn food calling from behind the freezer/fridge/cabinet is always a challenge for me too. I have to learn to ignore it. At this moment we have ice cream, fudge, and some sort of reeses peanut butter lollipop thing all left over from Christmas! My husband refuses to throw it out it's like a minefield in there

Jenise- excellent job all around!

Hi Brandi . Sounds like you're on track too. Can I borrow your DH to come and throw all the goodies away that my DH wants me to just learn to live with

I am so grateful to all of you for just being here! I am excited but very worried about my upcoming vacation. I want to enjoy a few drinks but I am not sure my resolve won't suffer once the buzz hits
I should have no problem keeping with the plan in terms of food choices- fresh seafood, veggies, salads, burgers - all good stuff but I'd like to let my hair down a little and indulge in a few drinks
The good news is with my recent diagnosis of hypertension and placement on meds, I'm a little afraid of dropping my pressure too. Nothing kills a good time like passing out
Oh well, obviously my anxiety is getting the best of me but ironically it may actually work in my favor for once. Less alcohol is less carbs and less opportunity to convince myself I can eat off plan.

Goals for 2014

Remain food-sane 1 day at a time
Continue with yoga

Last edited by Biochic; 02-10-2013 at 05:10 AM..
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:54 AM   #349
Junior LCF Member

My sister in law has never been overweight an seems to eat anything she wants. I once told her how lucky she was and she told me that she is always aware of her weight but came up with some "laws" she lives by. She told me once that she NEVER brings sweets or junk food into the house and hasn't for many years. Never buys it, never makes it. If someone gives her such foods she takes it, thanks them, and then goes through a drive-in on the way home and throws it away. I can't be that hard cored (I play, "I don't what to waste it games" or "someone else will eat it games") but I have used her strategy occasionally. I'm thinking I need to capitalize more on my 'strong' moments by doing things like that. (and I have also dug stuff out of my garbage can so I need that drive-in one!)
I agree with CiCi. the body is VERY skilled at maintaining itself and it has lots of chemical an hormonal ways of making it's wants known--day and night. That is one reason I love low carb. Starving yourself (limiting calories) kicks the body into high gear to push you to eat. But there have been several studies that show you can eat a lot more calories eating low carb and still maintain or even lose weight. I know for myself, if I drop my calories too low, I'm thinking about food constantly, day and night, and the food I think about is sugar, high fat foods. If I can keep my calories up, I do much better.
So I've put a lot of energy into learning to make things I want in a very low carb form. People have made up some pretty clever stuff that I'm experimenting with now. I just received a half dozen "extracts" in the mail to play with. Brown sugar extract--who would have thought it!
Anyway, when the cravings get really bad I literally MAKE myself eat something substantial like a huge omelet or a BIG hunk of cheese and follow it up with something hot to drink. ( I like zero calorie Da Vinci, Kahlua syrup in hot H2O. Decadently sweet--but if I just drink that and not eat the calories my body does not let up it's drive for calories) For me that works at least part of the time. The fat and calories seems to kind of 'turn off' what is going on in my body driving me to eat massive amounts of sugar.
I'm thinking it is all a balance we have to find for ourselves because we are all different, and I also thinking I'm one of many who is particularly sensitive to carbs. It doesn't take much to trip me over into compulsive territory. I've binged a few times in the past two years but this has been the BEST 2 years ever for my weight, mental attitude, sleep problems, stomach problems, blood profiles, blood pressure etc. Low carb is a struggle and it takes energy, which I sometimes don't have, to learn to make low-carb stuff but the pay off is pretty large for me. Good luck to everyone out there. Weekends can be such a *****!
Old 02-10-2013, 07:11 AM   #350
Big Yapper!!!!

Lots of great points/thoughts Elaine! Every time I start my woe (diet), I tell myself I will not allow undue hunger but always seem to fall into the restrictive trap which of course backfires for most of us eventually. Like you said, your body knows what it needs and eventually all the willpower in the world is not enough. Unlike your SIL, not having the carbs in the house (except for the foods my son/DH eat) which for the most part aren't problems for me does not stop me in the least. The grocery store is just a short drive a way. A while back I added up the amount of $ wasted on carb binges beyond the normal grocery bill and was amazed at how much money I was spending!

I just started reading a book now "Eat what you love, Love what you eat" , I'll post if I find anything helpful in the book.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #351
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine05 View Post
My sister in law has never been overweight an seems to eat anything she wants. I once told her how lucky she was and she told me that she is always aware of her weight but came up with some "laws" she lives by. She told me once that she NEVER brings sweets or junk food into the house and hasn't for many years. Never buys it, never makes it. If someone gives her such foods she takes it, thanks them, and then goes through a drive-in on the way home and throws it away. I can't be that hard cored (I play, "I don't what to waste it games" or "someone else will eat it games") but I have used her strategy occasionally. I'm thinking I need to capitalize more on my 'strong' moments by doing things like that. (and I have also dug stuff out of my garbage can so I need that drive-in one!)
I agree with CiCi. the body is VERY skilled at maintaining itself and it has lots of chemical an hormonal ways of making it's wants known--day and night. That is one reason I love low carb. Starving yourself (limiting calories) kicks the body into high gear to push you to eat. But there have been several studies that show you can eat a lot more calories eating low carb and still maintain or even lose weight. I know for myself, if I drop my calories too low, I'm thinking about food constantly, day and night, and the food I think about is sugar, high fat foods. If I can keep my calories up, I do much better.
So I've put a lot of energy into learning to make things I want in a very low carb form. People have made up some pretty clever stuff that I'm experimenting with now. I just received a half dozen "extracts" in the mail to play with. Brown sugar extract--who would have thought it!
Anyway, when the cravings get really bad I literally MAKE myself eat something substantial like a huge omelet or a BIG hunk of cheese and follow it up with something hot to drink. ( I like zero calorie Da Vinci, Kahlua syrup in hot H2O. Decadently sweet--but if I just drink that and not eat the calories my body does not let up it's drive for calories) For me that works at least part of the time. The fat and calories seems to kind of 'turn off' what is going on in my body driving me to eat massive amounts of sugar.
I'm thinking it is all a balance we have to find for ourselves because we are all different, and I also thinking I'm one of many who is particularly sensitive to carbs. It doesn't take much to trip me over into compulsive territory. I've binged a few times in the past two years but this has been the BEST 2 years ever for my weight, mental attitude, sleep problems, stomach problems, blood profiles, blood pressure etc. Low carb is a struggle and it takes energy, which I sometimes don't have, to learn to make low-carb stuff but the pay off is pretty large for me. Good luck to everyone out there. Weekends can be such a *****!

Have to leave now for church. More later.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:11 AM   #352
Big Yapper!!!!

Sitting here thinking about something else that I have noticed, last night I had a dream I was off the wagon and binging. I have noticed in the past that once I have dreams like that a binge will follow soon after.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #353
Senior LCF Member

Lisa, DH would love a trip to NY so anytime you need him to toss the junk food just let me know!!!

Jeaniem, I also have a grocery store down the street, but I swear by repeating Cici's words " the binge begins in the grocery store" over and over in my head while I'm shopping has really helped me only buy what I need. Also, please don't let your dream scare you. Your will is stronger than any dream.

Jenise, I have a story for you. The last time I lost significant weight (50 lbs.) I was a size 2 and everyone was asking how I did it. One lady (diabetic on 2 oral meds) was particularly interested because she was following her doctors orders to the letter and blood sugar was still out of control. She was at the gym everyday and eating a balanced diet of 200 carbs/day!!!! UNBELIEVEABLE !!!!!! So I convinced her to drop to 30 carbs/day and guess what? She immediately dropped around 20 lbs, and was able to cut one of her meds in half. The other med was ELIMINATED ENTIRELY!!!!!!

The ADA and the doctors make me so angry. My father was a type 2 insulin dependent diabetic. He didn't believe in low carb. (fruit and grains and low fat are healthy). He was very unhealthy and died 11 years ago this month at age 60. I know that had he eaten low carb that he would have had a healthy life and been alive to walk me down the aisle. Giving yourself away is tragic. So good for you Jenise. You will have a long and healthy life. What a blessing to the people who love you.

Well, I did make it binge free through Saturday. 5 days - WooHoo! Have a great Sunday everybody.

Brandi
Old 02-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #354
Big Yapper!!!!

I copied this from the other binge thread, an example of what happens to me when the binge thoughts creep in. I don't buy the carbs or keep them in the house as you see here I will make a special trip to get my fix.

My brain: I don't want any meat, cheese, or salad I want ice cream and salty crunchy junk food. It will really fill you up.

Me: If you eat that stuff it will taste good for a few short minutes and then you'll be stuffed and feel regret. You will ruin all your progress in a few short minutes. Your workout today will be wasted and your jeans are finally fitting again.

My brain: So what, it is what you are craving so eat it!

This brain/me thing goes back and forth for about an hour or so with many rationalizations coming from both sides all while I am trying to relax on the sofa while reading a book.

Me: Okay- gets in car drives to grocery store buys a pint of starbucks coffee ice cream, box of chocolate peanuts, choc. pretzels, and a container of nutter butter cookies. Open the cookies in the parking lot and has them almost eaten before getting back home. Get home grab a spoon eat the ice cream and everything else I bought in no time flat.

My brain: Ha ha! Made you do it nah nah nah nah

Me: Yep you feel like shi* and it only tasted good for a few short minutes. No surprise there!
Old 02-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #355
Big Yapper!!!!

Brandi
I hear you on the ADA, there recommendations are killing my mom as well. I have tried to tell her but she has complete faith in her Dr. After all according to her, ketosis will put her in a diabetic shock.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #356
Major LCF Poster!

Been there for sure. Different food, same thoughts. Not beyond doing it again, YET.

What sometimes helps. "What can I do to minimize the damage here?"

1) Take a bath, throw in some lavender oil and epsom salts and put on pajamas gives me time to think and relax and gets me away from TV food commercials or away from what is often a "diet" book. Takes away the idea that I can just get in the car and run down to the store. Usually this is enough to stop the binge.

2) If I still really need to eat, why am I craving certain foods? Will something else satisfy the need.

3) If I am dying for chocolate + salty + sweet (kind of analyzing your list here) would a large cup of decaf coffee with 1T cocoa powder, 1T hwc, stevia to taste, and maybe blended with 1T butter/CO be a treat for under 200 kcal that would get me to the same place without the unhappiness. I have all these things in the house and because it takes preparation, gives me more time to make a good choice. Won't derail my plan.

If crunching is part of the need, keep some veggies sliced and ready in cold water in the fridge.

It doesn't sound like you are flying out the door at the first twinge which is great. It means you have time to change direction.

Eat well, be well.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #357
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, forgot one last thing. If nervous compulsion is the driving force, a cleaning binge will often accomplish the same thing. When I go into the kitchen, I start filling the sink with sudsy water and start wiping all the surfaces, cupboards, cleaning the drip pans from the stove, etc.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:50 PM   #358
Major LCF Poster!

Jeanie, just wondering. Before the binge thoughts start, have you been eating enough good food? Just thinking about how undernourishment can start the spiral.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #359
Big Yapper!!!!

Cici
I don't really know what taking in enough food really means in the context of trying to lose weight?? Sometimes I am not hungry when I binge though, at times I can just tell when I am eating my low carb meal that something in me is not being satisfied. I really am not sure if that is mental or physical. Sorry to be so confusing, but sometimes I really don't know??
Old 02-10-2013, 04:43 PM   #360
Senior LCF Member

Jeanie, I usually binge after a full meal. But that's a regular meal, not a low carb one. I think (besides the emotional things) what makes me binge is either starving before a meal, because I eat so fast I can't seem to fill up. But also eating carbs of any kind. I just have incredibly strong cravings that I can't control. If I eat low carb, but have a fatty meal, I seem to be able to handle the cravings and they are diminishing everyday. Since I crave/binge at night the decaf thing really helps. Since I usually want something sweet, I put a couple of teaspoons of sugar free chocolate coffeemate in it and sip the crave away. I do it during the same time I usually binge.
Maybe Cici's right. Maybe you are needing something. I have been taking mega vitamins, maybe that would help?