Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 12:39 PM   #301
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/141/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
Hi cici. Glad you're doing well
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #302
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
Hello all. I have been working hard for the last 6 months dealing with binge urges. I have done well so far and take it a day at a time being mindful of my emotions and stress levels in relation to food. Six moths binge free, but each month I start new. So here is day one for February.
Phranquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:45 PM   #303
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranquie View Post
Hello all. I have been working hard for the last 6 months dealing with binge urges. I have done well so far and take it a day at a time being mindful of my emotions and stress levels in relation to food. Six moths binge free, but each month I start new. So here is day one for February.
6 months binge free!!!! Wow congrats!! Any secrets to share?
Old 02-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #304
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Elaine05
Stats: 210/178/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Sept 2011
Today looks like a good day. Finally into ketosis plus I got on the scale and dropped below that dreaded zero point I was never going to cross again! A note to jenise. Some people (like about half) are very sensitive to carbs. This is not our imagination--it is built into our insuline responses and can be verified in testing. If you are carb sensitive it means that you have less room to play around with concerning carbs in your diet. Even a little carb (or a little too much) triggers that binge eating cycle. So if you are in that hopeless, eating every carb that is not nailed down, stage go back to step one. Eat more food but less carbs. Good luck.
Elaine05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:11 AM   #305
Junior LCF Member

Planned binge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
How is everyone doing? Day 2 for me.

I have a new strategy I have decided that I am not going to allow myself to binge, plain and simple! Sounds like a no-brainer to some I am sure, but I think it just may work.
that is kind of what I'm doing and it hasn't been a huge success but it is easier to live with. The only advice I can give you is make a promise to yourself to weight yourself religiously for a week after your binge! That is not exactly painless but without doing that I managed to inch up until I have to get serious about the whole thing. But honestly, I'm just not turning down a slice of the very first cake my granddaughter ever made! There has got to be some way to do this reasonably.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #306
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/?/?
WOE: lc
Elaine
How well do you know yourself? Can you have the cake and get right back on plan? It can be a catch 22 for me, sometimes just denying myself in itself will set off a binge. I have been to many parties and done quite well only to come home later and lose all control.

Was wondering if anyone has any ideas about this pattern I am finding in my binge pattern. I have done well for 3 days now, but last night I kept waking up with a sense of fear and was restless. This morning I woke up hungry from the get go and almost always don't eat til later in the morning, sometimes not until lunch. I don't starve myself I am usually just not hungry for breakfast. Anyway this waking at night with the panicky feeling always seems to happen to me when I am doing well and all to often seems to be the beginning of the binge struggles.
jeaniem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #307
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jenise
Stats: sw 226/cw 209.5/ gw 154 ht 5'5"
Start Date: restart 2/1/2013
Day 2

Hi Elaine - Congrats on Ketosis!! You are exactly right. The sad thing is knowing the pattern and continuing to fall down the pit. I am struggling with the idea of this being a lifetime commitment. I know I can do it for a couple of weeks or months and while I am on track I am happier and the cravings go away. Then I either get stressed or have a flare up and I just stop caring. I know I need to have a change of perspective which is why I am trying this one day at a time approach rather than focusing on the idea I can never having a food I love again. However, I think until I get to a place when I realize that low-carb has to be for the rest of my life -I am always going to have an out with myself. I tend to trick myself into thinking I can have a little extra and be okay - because in the beginning when I have a little I am okay, but then it's a little more and a little more and bam full-on binge mode. Jeanie - one of the things I have learned in my food journey is that eating breakfast (or having a protein shake) even when I am not hungry and then having lunch and a snack - really helps me from overeating in the afternoon and evening. Also, when I have that uncomfortable feeling I have a high protein snack - it sometimes helps. Hope you all have an awesome day. I am going to try a new recipe for zucchini bread made with almond meal and truvia.
jenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:37 AM   #308
Junior LCF Member

I suspect recognizing your own eating patterns is the first step. The second step is probably having a plan when you feel the drive to eat carb foods taking over. If that plan fails, move to another. If I'm obsessing about foods, generally that means I'm not eating enough. I have found when I'm craving carbs I need to eat more--make myself eat foods I don't want (because I want the carbs) and eat a lot of it. A great big cheese omelette, or two if necessary, Then a big hamburger if I need more. I basicaly drop to Atkins induction level and eat like a horse. It pretty much works for me.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:51 AM   #309
Junior LCF Member

[QUOTE=jeaniem;16235516]Elaine
How well do you know yourself? Can you have the cake and get right back on plan? It can be a catch 22 for me, sometimes just denying myself in itself will set off a binge. I have been to many parties and done quite well only to come home later and lose all control.

I get back on my plan after eating cake by dropping to induction level Atkins and I make myself weigh everyday for at least a week. (I hate weighing myself so I guess that is kind of punitive. I do have food, guilt issues.)
I'm sure there are lots of plans to dealing with parties, but here are mine. I love cream cheese no-bake cheesecake. If I'm going to have to deal with a party, either at my house or someone else's, I make a big, extremely low carb cheesecake and whip up some whipped cream. I might have a nice big slice before I go, or I might wait until I get back and then really indulge myself. I've eaten that stuff until I feel sick!
I've taken it to potlucks with a "low carb" label and I've served it as an alternative dessert choice at my own parties. (and sometimes I get a little frantic and cut myself a huge slice when I see too many people choosing my cheesecake! What the hell is up with that--I don't even have a crust on that sucker.)
Another way I've dealt with it is to carry a couple of Atkin indulge snack bars in my pocket as a back up. I LOVE sweets so I keep Atkins bars around as back up for all my moments of weakness.
I'd love it if anyone else could share their coping strategies.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #310
Major LCF Poster!

Oh boy Elaine. Coping strategies? I don't think I have any good ones Lol. In the past I have used full fat yogurt w sugar free jello pudding mixed right in. It helps as a substitute for ice cream. I have also made LC cheesecakes. Having a dessert alternative is a good thing but is it a slippery slope?? I'm on round # 4 here so who knows. I Lose and gain the same wt over and over.

Last edited by Biochic; 02-03-2013 at 01:01 PM..
Old 02-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #311
Junior LCF Member

day 3

I agree, I tend to cope well with lc treats and crocheting in the evenings keeps my hands busy so I can't eat. I haven't figured out the fix for those moments I stop caring. I've been doing this for almost 20 years... most of the time it's worth it though.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:31 AM   #312
Junior LCF Member

Jenise, If I am reading your stats correctly what you are doing seems pretty impressive to me! 226 down to 155? That is one very impressive set of numbers. I know every single pound is a "stand alone" pound just as everyday is it's own brand new challenge but you have a track record that speaks for itself. Good luck with this round.
And the desserts can be, and often are, a slippery slope. That is why I make the cheese cake only when I know I have a major challenge coming up. If I kept one in the refrigerator all the time I'd be beyond huge. And as silly as it sounds, I keep the Atkins indulge bars down in the basement. Somehow walking down stairs is enough of a deterrent that I don't tend to misuse them. (Notice the word "tend". I do have my moments but eating a couple of those bars tens to make me a little sick/over stuffed feeling--probably all the alcohol sugars--so if it is just a one day failure I do ok.) But I've only lost and kept off 35 pounds so compared to you, I'm a babe.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #313
Junior LCF Member

day 4

Elaine - unfortuntely the middle number 216 is my current. I've been bouncing between 226 and 206, but mostly stay around 210 since 1996. Great job on the 35lbs!! That's amazing! I figured out this year that the couple of times I get near that magic 200 line I self sabatoge out of fear of getting more attention from men. I think I've processed it a bit, now just getting back on track. I can troubleshoot as I get closer. this time I am not buying fairly lc food that i binge on and buying more veggies.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:31 AM   #314
Junior LCF Member

Jenise, It took me a really painful knee replacement surgery to make me serious. If I gain the weight back there is a good chance I have to go through it again. I'd like to think I was a little 'deeper' that pain motivated but there it is. Everyday is a struggle, some days worst than others. I had a run of bad, telling myself one time would not matter, not caring that much, not making myself weigh in because "I'd get back with the program today and weigh in tomorrow". Enough of those days strung together and I could hardly get my jeans on. Bit the bullet, weighed myself, saw the dreaded zero number that I'd passed, and promptly started rereading Atkins and joined this group. I've spent most my life waiting for myself to, "grow up in regards to my food issues." I'm getting older but I seem to play the same games with myself.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #315
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Doxymom
Stats: 162/162/125
WOE: LC
Start Date: 2/5/13
Can I join?

Hi I am a long time lurker, first time poster. I have been struggling with binge eating/crash dieting for years. I am 5'3" and have been as much as 175 size 14, and as low as 114 size 2. Currently I am 151 size 10, and have been gaining steadily, due to my daily binges. I have tried all the big diet plans, therapy, even OA meetings but nothing has kept me off this roller coaster for very long. I am so inspired by all of you, and I desperately need accountability so I hope it is ok if I start this challenge. Ok! Here goes day 1!
Doxymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #316
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
DM, so glad you joined us. We all have our individual challenges in this area. We are here to support you. No judging here. Maybe this will be your time to rock. Hope we can help.

I have been down all the paths you listed too and in the end, I have to deal with the triggers that cause me to binge.

Thinking of triggers, here are some of mine that come to mind:
Perfectionism. (If I can't do it perfectly, I may as well throw in the towel.)
Food Focus (If I spend too much time planning, counting, reading etc about food - I will generally eat too much)
Self Centeredness (When I am busy helping others, I rarely overindulge and also feel better about myself)
Lack of Gratitude (Feeling Sorry for myself is bad medicine)
Nervous compulsion (Usually tied to procrastinating over something difficult.)
Restricting foods needed for nourishment,
Indulging in foods that don't nourish me. (I cannot EVER eat wheat without triggering the slide toward binging, even if I don't do it right away. Alcohol sometimes causes me to not care about what I put in my mouth. Sugar is a matter for caution. Only certain forms of dairy are safe for me.)
The binge starts in the grocery store. I know what will tip me over. If I buy it, I am allowing for a binge. Just because something is allowed on a food plan, doesn't mean it is good for me. I have to be responsible for my own health.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:31 PM   #317
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxymom View Post
Hi I am a long time lurker, first time poster. I have been struggling with binge eating/crash dieting for years. I am 5'3" and have been as much as 175 size 14, and as low as 114 size 2. Currently I am 151 size 10, and have been gaining steadily, due to my daily binges. I have tried all the big diet plans, therapy, even OA meetings but nothing has kept me off this roller coaster for very long. I am so inspired by all of you, and I desperately need accountability so I hope it is ok if I start this challenge. Ok! Here goes day 1!
Hi Doxy. Your up and down stats are very similar to mine. I'm 5'2" and have been as high as 192 twice and as low as 120. Size 16 to size 2
I have tried it all too OA did not feel right to me and so I have just been up and down for years and years
Currently the supplements I am taking have made a big impact ( I think ). I know ketosis decreases my appetite but we all know that appetite has nothing to do with binging! I have been binge free and more importantly free from that horrible urge for weeks now.
Welcome you're in the right place

Goals for 2014

Remain food-sane 1 day at a time
Continue with yoga
Old 02-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #318
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I had a rough day Monday with a very strong urge to binge, one of the strongest I have had in months. Just when I feel like I can coast a little it hit me. I know it is specifically from stress in my personal life. I wanted to eat craptastic food all day long. I had to white knuckle it driving home past some drive thrus. I got through it and today has been better but I am on guard and being very careful with how I feel and what I eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biochic View Post
6 months binge free!!!! Wow congrats!! Any secrets to share?
I do not have a single secret! What I have been doing is is being mindful. I have been trying to sit with the feelings that make me want to binge. I try and work through the issue, usually stress or some emotion I don't want to deal with. I think about why I want to eat and how it serves no purpose other than to mask the feelings. In the end I remind myself that I'll feel ten times worse about the situation of I cave in an eat. The food is only a momentary pleasure and does not last and it just is not that great after the first two bites. Sometimes I have to sit with those uncomfortable feelings for hours until they are not so strong and the urge to eat settles a bit. Sometimes I will walk but I don't really distract my mind with other things as I am trying to face my triggers head on and deal with them.

I am also very mindful of what I do eat when I feel like binging. I try to not restrict too severely as that can backfire for me. So I eat some favorite LC foods like avocado and bacon, rib eye, gyros meat, chicken wings, cheese. I measure/weigh everything and keep to my pre-planned amounts of food. Otherwise I would eat way too much. I do not substitute with LC sweet treats or "mock" foods. I have been trying to not look at food as a treat when I feel "bingey". When I eat I try and focus on the sensation of eating and notice the feeling of fullness I get after a small meal. I try and concentrate on this feeling telling myself I am full and completely satiated and that what I ate was good for me and I will not feel horrible the next day because I ate on plan.

It sounds kind of dorkey when I write it down but it has been working for me.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:21 PM   #319
Senior LCF Member

Day 1 success!!!

Hi Cici, Hi Lisa,
Thanks so much for the welcome and the support! Cici, you are so right about triggers and I appreciate you sharing yours. It gets me thinking about what triggers me. Starch and sugar for sure, nuts, and I am thinking any sweets, even sugar free. Major life changes, the politics at work, a celebration or tradgedy. Or anytime I feel nervous or inadequate. Alcohol does exactly to me what it does to you. I no longer care what I shovel in my mouth. I absolutely cannot have junkfood in the house or I will eat it and then continue to binge. Conversley, dieting very strictly over a period of time causes me to feel deprived and then binge for weeks at a time. (thats where I have been up to today). *SIGH* God help me find balance!

Lisa, that is fantastic that you have been free from the horrible binge cravings! I hope I can get there soon. Tonight after dinner in front of the TV with DH, I had an almost overwhelming desire to go grab nuts or popcorn or anything I could eat while watching. (it is a slippery slope after that). I can honestly tell you that I felt like a freakin' junkie needing a fix. I could not stop thinking about it. The only thing that stopped me was the desire to report here that I actually made it through day 1. So I made a cup of decaf and that was that! No Binge!!!! WooHoo!!!!! BTW, what are the suppliments you're taking? Do they really help with the cravings?
Old 02-06-2013, 02:46 AM   #320
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Doxy
I think the supplements help. Could it be a classic case of the placebo effect? Either way they help. Somewhere on these boards there was a thread about the book THE DIET CURE. I ordered the book from the library and started on the recommended supplements for my symptoms. There is a website that coincides with the book. You can check out the questionnaire and get an idea if you are interested.
For me, the results of the questionnaire lead me to start taking Glutamine, GABA, and 5Htp. I also take vit D.
I finished the Glutamine yesterday so today will be an experiment of sorts. Since the GABA and 5Htp are associated more with depression/anxiety (the 2 most readily identified issues I have in terms of binging) I am going to see if those alone can maintain my sanity. Glutamine is for cravings but really binging for me has very little to do with cravings and a whole lot to do with feelings of anxiety and depressive thoughts. I can say with confidence that those types of feelings are gone and I can only attribute that to the supplements.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:59 AM   #321
Junior LCF Member

That relentless urge to eat, particularly carbs, has been my downfall for many, many years. Sometimes it seems to hit from outer space but in reality it often hits AFTER some crisis/stress has been resolved. Like after Christmas or someone is released from the hospital. Lately I find it helpful to reread Atkins book and eat a ton of no carb foods. I'm absolutely not going to lose weight eating a ton of meat and eggs, but I don't gain either and I find the volume of food makes real impact on my binging cycle. I also make a serious effort to dring LOTS of water, especially when I have the urge to eat after eating a big meal. I suspect I binge because I'm actually not eating enough calories and I trigger some chemical change in my body which makes it demand food-lots of food. If that is true, it would explain why binging hits after stress periods where I probably don't eat enough. Might also explain why you binge after a long term diet.
I also made a bunch of self-talk, self-hypnosis sessions a while ago that I make myself listen to when I can't seem to break the binge cycle. They are pretty much about mindful eating but it does help me get back to that place where I like myself again and don't feel so out of control of what I'm stickiing in my mouth. You could probably do the same thing with a journal--one you were brutally honest with yourself in.

Last edited by Elaine05; 02-06-2013 at 08:07 AM..
Old 02-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #322
Major LCF Poster!

Frankie, great job getting through the tough day.

I have been eating all day. Still within my calorie limits but just crazy hungry every 3 hours. Am about to take a soak in epsom salts. Bathtubs are safe places.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #323
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Frankie, great job getting through the tough day.

I have been eating all day. Still within my calorie limits but just crazy hungry every 3 hours. Am about to take a soak in epsom salts. Bathtubs are safe places.
I love my baton tub!! Years ago when I quit smoking I would leave the dinner table and head into the tub!!
Old 02-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #324
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxymom View Post
Tonight after dinner in front of the TV with DH, I had an almost overwhelming desire to go grab nuts or popcorn or anything I could eat while watching. (it is a slippery slope after that). I can honestly tell you that I felt like a freakin' junkie needing a fix. I could not stop thinking about it. The only thing that stopped me was the desire to report here that I actually made it through day 1. So I made a cup of decaf and that was that! No Binge!!!!
Awesome job on circumventing a binge! I know the feeling of having the thought of eating a certain food circling in your head for hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine05 View Post
That relentless urge to eat, particularly carbs, has been my downfall for many, many years. Sometimes it seems to hit from outer space but in reality it often hits AFTER some crisis/stress has been resolved. Like after Christmas or someone is released from the hospital.
I wish I had a "like" button for this. My stress this week was my BF's 92 year old mother coming home from the hospital and the pressure I feel to care for a woman who on her best day does not like me.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:15 PM   #325
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Phranquie! White knuckled it through day 2! I sympathize about your BF's mom. My MIL once asked me "why don't you just die". No joke. You are such a good person to care for her. I can imagine the stress. These women are so NOT worth binging over. Good luck to you.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #326
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I thought this was good:
Old 02-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #327
Senior LCF Member

That is just great. Words to live by. Also I wanted to share that last night I had to go to the grocery store and Cici's words "the binge begins at the grocery store" popped into my head. So as I shopped I kept repeating it over and over in my head and I got out of the store with just protein and veggies. It really, really helped.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #328
Major LCF Poster!

Wow, Frankie. Thanks for posting those thoughts. I am surprised by a couple of them.

Great job, Doxy! Thanks for sharing.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #329
Major LCF Poster!

Great posts ladies!!!
Old 02-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #330
Junior LCF Member

day 7

Great posts ladies!! I really needed that emotional vs physical hunger chart-thank you!! Still going strong a day 7...have my diabetes check up tomorrow. My sugars have been bad, but are getting better. Doc has been frustrated with my poor management. I am going to confess that I binge and that I am doing this challenge, am doing much lower carb than i have in the past ten yrs, using a food diary app and will continue to fight. I really appreciate thiz group and the support.