Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #241
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Truffles
Stats: 142/125/128 JUDDD
WOE: LC&JUDDD
Start Date: 3/11 LC - 1/12 LC/JUDDD
I weighed in at 131.7 today. Got on the tread mill twice this last week. Need to do better than that. Been working on flexing my stomach during the day while doing just about anything and everything. After a while it should become habit!
I'm alright with maintaining while TOM is here. My potato DD was sabotaged by a friend that brought cake. She offered a piece and I accepted, but politely asked if I could save it for tomorrow. She knows about the diet and the potato days I just did. She had an attitude and was like " one little sliver won't kill you!" And since we were in from of her family I didn't argue.
I just feel like we sabotage ourselves enough, why must our friends do it too? I was doing Great yesterday, cals under 400 planned for the day and it was 9pm. I was doing fine with my potatoes. It really bummed me out after having 5 good on plan days in a row.
Today is a new day.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #242
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SlimNana
Stats: Age 55 5'6" Goal:140
WOE: IF 16/8 & 4:3
I had become really flabby over the last few years, after being so sedentary prior to my hip replacement surgery. In the last four months post-op, since I began exercising regularly again in rehab, I have begun firming up and noticing a lot less loose flab jiggling all over. So even though my weight has only gone down 5 lbs. since restarting JUDDD last month, I have lost quite a few inches and am fitting comfortably back into my size 8 jeans. In addition to being pain free, mobile and more flexible now because of my hip replacement, I have found that I have a lot more energy to exercise being on JUDDD. After years of suffering major fatigue on VLC diets, since I'm also hypo-thyroid.

Keep on keeping on! Patience and persistence will result in progress!

Last edited by SlimNana; 01-08-2013 at 10:10 AM..
SlimNana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #243
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rayne_W
Stats: 255/229.4/140 5'6" (12.5" lost)
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 10-2-12 (LC) 11-18-12 (JUDDD)
Goal: 225

1/1: UD DNW
1/2: DD DNW
1/3: UD 232.6
1/4: DD 232.6
1/5: UD 232.6
1/6: DD DNW
1/7: UD 232.0
1/8: DD 232.8 (SPUDDDing it today)
Rayne_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #244
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimNana View Post
I had become really flabby over the last few years, after being so sedentary prior to my hip replacement surgery. In the last four months post-op, since I began exercising regularly again in rehab, I have begun firming up and noticing a lot less loose flab jiggling all over. So even though my weight has only gone down 5 lbs. since restarting JUDDD last month, I have lost quite a few inches and am fitting comfortably back into my size 8 jeans. In addition to being pain free, mobile and more flexible now because of my hip replacement, I have found that I have a lot more energy to exercise being on JUDDD. After years of suffering major fatigue on VLC diets, since I'm also hypo-thyroid.

Keep on keeping on! Patience and persistence will result in progress!
Thanks for that inspiring post, SlimNana. I've started getting nagging thoughts about, "Maybe I shouldn't be doing these exercises, if the scale isn't dropping, because I'm getting discouraged ..." Your post reminded me that there are other things that are important besides the number on the scale. So I'm committing to doing my toning and firming workouts--ideally, nearly every day--at least until this challenge ends, even if the scale stays stuck.

I ordered some new workout DVDs by checking out clips on collage video. I look for things at the beginner level, since I haven't done anything but walk and use an elliptical machine for years, and most of the ones I picked are aimed at seniors. Well, hey, I'm in my late 50s, and I find it kind of helpful to see older people doing the exercises in the background, since I tell myself, if they can do this, so can I. When I see just skinny, ultra buff women in their 20s hopping around fast, all I think is, "That is so not me, you've got to be kidding."
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #245
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truffles View Post
I weighed in at 131.7 today. Got on the tread mill twice this last week. Need to do better than that. Been working on flexing my stomach during the day while doing just about anything and everything. After a while it should become habit!
I'm alright with maintaining while TOM is here. My potato DD was sabotaged by a friend that brought cake. She offered a piece and I accepted, but politely asked if I could save it for tomorrow. She knows about the diet and the potato days I just did. She had an attitude and was like " one little sliver won't kill you!" And since we were in from of her family I didn't argue.
I just feel like we sabotage ourselves enough, why must our friends do it too? I was doing Great yesterday, cals under 400 planned for the day and it was 9pm. I was doing fine with my potatoes. It really bummed me out after having 5 good on plan days in a row.
Today is a new day.
My sympathies about your friend's sabotage, Truffles. Sheesh, why do some people seem to care so much about when we eat as well as what we eat? Well, I hope that you are free of that sort of social pressure for a while, and can just pick what works best for you and follow your plan.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #246
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melisa82
Stats: 5'6" SW 244 CW Too Much GW 160
WOE: LC
Start Date: 3/27/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Good idea Ann. I've actually looked for the dunk test in my area, and nobody does it. I should ask at my gym if they have a way to test body fat.

I'm in sort of a weird place right now. My original goal was 175, but I lowered it to 160. I've been sitting right around 167-169 for a couple of weeks. My body shape, though, has become quite odd. My arms and legs are thin, as are my face and neck. I can see every rib in my upper chest, but there's all this flab from my tummy to my upper thighs. I kind of wonder what's going to happen when my loss settles and the weight redistributes.

I toy with the idea of going into maintenance and just seeing what happens with maintenance calories and exercise, but I really want to see that 160. In my late teens, early 20s, I was actually underweight at 106, and I always felt best between 135-150, so I don't think 160 is too far out of the realm of possibility given my age and height.

Just rambling here, trying to get my head back on straight.
Dawn, are you close to San Jose? They do the hydrostatic body fat testing there. 1701 Little Orchard St, San Jose.
melisa82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #247
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
Well, hey, I'm in my late 50s, and I find it kind of helpful to see older people doing the exercises in the background, since I tell myself, if they can do this, so can I. When I see just skinny, ultra buff women in their 20s hopping around fast, all I think is, "That is so not me, you've got to be kidding."
I agree. Let's just say I've been there, done that and got the t-shirt enough times over again, so now I'm much wiser and kinder to myself at this age.

Last edited by SlimNana; 01-08-2013 at 12:37 PM..
Old 01-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #248
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/151/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by melisa82 View Post
Dawn, are you close to San Jose? They do the hydrostatic body fat testing there. 1701 Little Orchard St, San Jose.
2.5 - 3 hours away with good traffic. I've thought about going that far. I know they do it in LA and Sacramento too, but I'd have to plan a whole trip around it.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #249
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wildflower
Stats: SW180/CW180/GL145
WOE: NK
Start Date: Dec 2013
Been lax on exercising this week - no energy. But tomorrow my water aerobics start, twice a week, so that will energize me. Plus, my callanetics dvds's are supposed to come Wed or Thurs. Can't wait for them as most of my fat is stomach and hips and I remember them helping back in the 80s. Oh why, oh why, did I stop!!!
wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #250
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Started Judd on 3.26.12
WOE: Judd
Start Date: 3.26.12
My potato DD yesterday was a success! I normally wake up about 2 pounds down after a DD but this AM was down 3.2 pounds and into a new decade WOOT! Doing another PD today but with about 1000 calories. Hoping for another pleasant surprise tomorrow. Walked yesterday but was a slacker today. The good news is my calf is healing and I might be able to go back to the Shred tomorrow. Toning is also a big issue for me and I hate to wait.
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #251
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melanie09
Stats: 217/184.8/160 5'9"
WOE: Low carb/Fast 5
Start Date: LC 9/10/12, JUDDD 10/28/12, Fast 5 3/11/13
Well I did my fitness boot camp class and wow, that was hard! It was fun, but TOUGH!!!! I'm sure I'm gonna be sore from that! I've had a good down day today, yesterday on the other hand was an awful up day... I feel like today has got me back on track and I'm going to start writing down what I eat everyday. Now I've worked out once this week, so I've got two more times to go!

Truffle, sorry about your friend sabotaging you! I'm a 3 year old teacher in a preschool and there's always food everywhere. I have co workers who are like "have this, you have to live a little", but I don't want "living" to have to be about food! I wanna eat to live, not live to eat.

15 lbs gone: 202 11/5/12
25 lbs gone: 192 1/19/13
32 lbs gone: 185 4/16/13
40 lbs gone:177
Now at a healthy weight: 168
Goal weight with 57 lbs gone: 160

melanie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:13 AM   #252
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sammyann
Stats: 162/140.5/maintain 135-139
Start Date: March 2012 re-start Dec. 2012
to all my JB's who are struggling.

I've been feeling more hungry too. I skipped exercising yesterday and was less hungry and this morning I was down .5lbs after my UD. I love when that happens but it does make me think the exercise is making the weight loss slower. I keep meaning to find my tape measure. I know I'm way to focused on the scale # right now.
Sammyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:45 AM   #253
Major LCF Poster!

I'm very happy to report that the scale dropped to 179 today (was hovering between 181 and 183), after a 300 calorie egg-based DD and a day off from exercising to let my muscles rest.

I think those of us who are not seeing the scale drop as we begin exercise programs might consider going a couple of days not exercising and drinking tons of water, to see if we have a whoosh, because we can hang onto a lot of water with our sore muscles. Now that I'm seeing progress in losing weight again, I'm going right back to my workouts, and trying an egg-and-fat-based up day today.

Also, I got out my tape measure and found that my breasts and hips were both down an inch and my waist was down a half inch since the last time I measured, which was just 8 pounds ago. Some of that change was certainly from losing the 8 pounds, but I think the toning and strengthening workouts helped, too.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:08 AM   #254
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammyann View Post
: I know I'm way to focused on the scale # right now.
The daily fluctuations between DDs & UDs are enough to drive me nuts! I decided this morning, that if I'm not below 150 on my so called official weekly weigh-in tomorrow, that I'm going to raise my V'day goal to 145. I'd rather focus less on the # on the scale and more on getting healthy, fit, firm, flexible & feeling fabulous while losing inches. I'm okay with working towards a 5 lb weight loss goal a month for the next 3 mos. to reach 135 by my 54th birthday at the end of April. That gives me the peace of mind I need, without stressing myself out about trying to rush the process.

Best wishes on your DDs or UDs today!

Last edited by SlimNana; 01-09-2013 at 06:10 AM..
Old 01-09-2013, 07:04 AM   #255
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Started Judd on 3.26.12
WOE: Judd
Start Date: 3.26.12
Just a quick check in to wish all the challengers a good day!! Hope it is a peaceful, easy and healthy one for you.
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:07 AM   #256
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Up in weight today after a UD yesterday. In fact I am higher than I have been all month, at 193.4. I hope this is not like last month where I struggled the entire month just to get back to what I was at the beginning of the month, lol. Today is going to be a great DD!!!
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:24 AM   #257
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I'm feeling a little better about where my January is going now. Nine days in, and I'm back to just one pound over my year end low. TOM is gone. Now for a good, solid DD today.

I did hour 3 of Callanetics 10 in 10 yesterday and it felt great (thanks to Lia/shpongle!). I can already feel I'm getting stronger, and I'm not so sore. In fact, different muscles feel sore as I keep doing this workout, so hopefully I'm strengthening deeper and deeper.

Sending and support to my JBs who are struggling. I'm feeling it too, and just now getting my 2013 bearings again.

to you guys who are really kicking butt on your goals! Send some of your mojo on to us, would you?

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #258
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
I've had that crud that's been going around, so I've only gotten in one exercise "day". But, the weight seems to be leaving, slowly but surely, so that's good!

Dawn, with all the exercise you've added, it does sound like you should either up your calories some, or even go into another maintenance mode like you did last year for a bit. It sounds like your body is making lots of adjustments right now. We have one of those little hand-held body fat digital things. It may not be as accurate as a dunk test, but it might give you something to go on. Just remember all you've lost this past year and how far you've come before getting too frustrated with those last few pounds. Hang in there - you have been such a huge inspiration to many and continue to be so!

vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:51 AM   #259
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/152.8/145
Start Date: March 2012
I just wanted to post how helpful everyone on this thread is for me! I am busy packing to leave for my trip but wanted to take a quick moment to post and say this! Adding in exercise and losing weight is complicated but I love how I feel when I am active. It is nice to have some extra help and motivation in moving towards these goals! Have a great day everyone!
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #260
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/151/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Thanks for the ideas everyone. We went to the gym last night, but I was pretty sore still from Saturday and Monday, so I only walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes and did a few minutes on the stationary bike. Total burn per HRM was 207.

I am really, really considering going to maintenance calories for a while and just working on the exercise. I put my Valentine's goal at 160, but that may not be realistic right now. My fingers are also acting up again. They're quite painful. My body may just be in too much stress right now.

Is it too late to revise my Valentine's goal to just maintain and exercise 3 or more times per week? I'm talking myself into it, the more I think about it.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
July 2014, weight is creeping up: Back to JUDDD.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #261
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zagnut
Stats: 143/119/118
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: 5/24/12-LC 12/1/12-LC JUDDD
Having a good day, treadmill workout complete, have also added weights to try and build muscle. I know the scale will go up once that starts happening and I'm going to be fine with that, at least that's what I say now!
I really have to let go of the number on the scale. I started this journey with LC to control blood sugar and my food intolerances, the weight loss has been a bonus and I feel like I'm getting fixated on that more and more.
Have to keep reminding myself that my health is what I'm after...not a stupid number.

Sven, I have tears of joy for you! You sooo deserve to see that number on the scale and the inches lost! Congrats to you my friend!

Everyone here is doing so well. The amount of work you guys are doing is going to pay off, we may not see it right away, but it's coming and every day you are stronger and healthier for it!
zagnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #262
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Thanks for the ideas everyone. We went to the gym last night, but I was pretty sore still from Saturday and Monday, so I only walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes and did a few minutes on the stationary bike. Total burn per HRM was 207.

I am really, really considering going to maintenance calories for a while and just working on the exercise. I put my Valentine's goal at 160, but that may not be realistic right now. My fingers are also acting up again. They're quite painful. My body may just be in too much stress right now.

Is it too late to revise my Valentine's goal to just maintain and exercise 3 or more times per week? I'm talking myself into it, the more I think about it.
Your goals are up to you, Dawn, and that sounds like a very sensible plan to me. To be able to declare progress in terms of having done more exercise and making that more of a habit would be an excellent achievement by Valentine's Day. Sorry about your painful fingers, and hope they feel better soon. The fact that this health issue is getting worse lately may well indicate that you need to dial down the amount of stress on your body, and going for maintenance would be a good way to do that.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #263
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagnut View Post
Having a good day, treadmill workout complete, have also added weights to try and build muscle. I know the scale will go up once that starts happening and I'm going to be fine with that, at least that's what I say now!
I really have to let go of the number on the scale. I started this journey with LC to control blood sugar and my food intolerances, the weight loss has been a bonus and I feel like I'm getting fixated on that more and more.
Have to keep reminding myself that my health is what I'm after...not a stupid number.

Sven, I have tears of joy for you! You sooo deserve to see that number on the scale and the inches lost! Congrats to you my friend!

Everyone here is doing so well. The amount of work you guys are doing is going to pay off, we may not see it right away, but it's coming and every day you are stronger and healthier for it!
Thanks, Zagnut, you're so sweet! I'm really enjoying working out with hand weights--not because it's so much fun to do it (it's not, for me), but because I am feeling real results in terms of the exercise getting easier and seeing more muscle definition fairly quickly. How are you planning to do the work with weights? In the gym? At home following a DVD? If the latter, which DVD?
Old 01-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #264
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
I am soooo happy. Finally saw a new number this morning! It has been about 2 years since the scales have been below 202. Today - 201!!
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #265
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
YAY Cici! Right on! You're heading for Onederland!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #266
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sammyann
Stats: 162/140.5/maintain 135-139
Start Date: March 2012 re-start Dec. 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
I am soooo happy. Finally saw a new number this morning! It has been about 2 years since the scales have been below 202. Today - 201!!
Sammyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #267
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wildflower
Stats: SW180/CW180/GL145
WOE: NK
Start Date: Dec 2013
to all JBers that have lost and continued with their goals!!! Super happy for all of you!

Today was my first day of water aerobics and I'm already sore!! Haven't done them for 3 weeks and the instructors really worked us hard. Most of us are older so that didn't take much!! I really love it!
wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #268
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Woohooo!!! That is fabulous, Cici! Congratulations! It sounds like you have found something that works for you, and that is GREAT!
Old 01-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #269
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
Hi everyone. I was surpised but my weight was down 4 pounds after doing some pot days and Juddd rotations. I have been sick and did eat some junk the other day.

I have been keeping up with yoga either at gym or
DVD. I can tell holding some of those poses is tough!! I really never thought of yoga as a workout but because of a bad back I can't jump anymore! Let me say its challenging.

Dawn you seem to like Zumba! Is it a lot of jumping??

Sven I was going to order Jane Fonda. U mentioned some you really like but which one is your favorite or I should start with. My back is an issue but as long as there is no jumping.

Thank u all for sharing your ideas!!!
Old 01-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #270
Major LCF Poster!

I like the "Jane Fonda Prime Time: Trim, Tone, and Flex" DVD the best. There is absolutely no jumping, and she encourages people to move quite slowly at some points, especially in stretches. I don't have back problems, but my guess is that the content would be okay for you, so long as you skipped the floor work in the upper body workout (which only goes on for about 2 minutes). I like the "Jane Fonda: Prime Time--Fit and Strong" also.

I find yoga challenging because I'm not very flexible--and never have been, even when I was a kid. I plan to try out some of the Jane Fonda am and pm yoga workouts this weekend, since I own the DVD. I have also ordered the "Lilias! AM and and PM Yoga Workouts for Seniors," because the clips for that look like she has modified the poses to be easier.

I've seen Peggy Cappy yoga DVDs of "Yoga for the Rest of Us" on sale at Amazon, and I think she copes with backpain herself, so maybe those would be good for you, Jodi.

Congratulations on your weight being down 4 pounds! I haven't tried a potato day yet, but I may get there when I need to shake things up. I'm nervous about trying it because I'm so carb sensitive, so maybe I'll try to get a few more months on JUDDD in before I attempt the potato hack.