Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 10:29 AM   #241
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: kellydawne
Made it to yoga this morning. It felt so good! I've had a weird soreness in my neck/left shoulder to about halfway between my shoulder blades since Christmas day. (you know kinda like I slept funny) I think I finally got it mostly stretched out. (yeah!)

Debbie, I have a yummy crab dip recipe that you can use inexpensive canned crab. I'll post it at the bottom. It needs to be warm, but I make it in the crockpot, so not sure if that works for you or not.

Paleo can be restrictive. I'm doing one of the most restrictive versions for January. For me, a little bit of something that's not too bad turns into too much. (which has been the holiday problem, just too much food and a little of this or that) Anyway, I seem to do better mentally with the very clear cut rules, especially since I don't have to weigh/measure.

Becky, you'll do great as a MK consultant. Your facials/parties will be a lot of fun! (hope Guinie is feeling better)

Cindy, sounds like you have a busy day. And, crab legs sound like a great way to ring in the new year!

MK, Kaye, Jenn, and other MIA shorties-
Need to get going on my day...
kellydawne is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2012, 10:55 AM   #242
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: debbiedo
Stats: pretty close to perfect!
WOE: mindful eating/running off the pounds
Start Date: over and over again
Post the recipe please. Do you make it in the crockpot? Can I heat it in a microwave at work?

I am watching Isabella while her mom gets ready 5pm wedding.

I have Isabella then coming to my house.

She could nap now but then we have to leave in an hour or so.
debbiedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:06 AM   #243
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sorry Debbie, just realized I didn't actually post the recipe. I do make it in the crockpot and I would think it would be okay to reheat in the microwave as long as you stir it a couple of times so the mayonaise doesn't separate.

Crab Dip (I don't remember where I found the recipe, but it was a lc site somewhere, maybe Dana C)

1 cup mayo
8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
4 green onions, minced
6 oz canned crab
3 oz cream cheese

Combine everything in the crockpot, cook on low for an hour, stir, cook an additional hour.
Serve with veggie strips and/or crackers
Old 12-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #244

It only takes one hour on low? I can make at 8am and bring to work at 10:15 and plug in there. I think people would like it. I might do this!

Thanks!!!!!!
Old 12-28-2012, 08:58 PM   #245
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003

Kelly - great recipe! Thanks for sharing!!
Didn't you have a site for 30 days of meals for Paleo?

Debbie - I'd love to be 121.
I'm 5' also, and am thrilled at 120.
I'm 125 right now - my high point before I HAVE to get back on track!

Becky - wish I lived nearer - I'd definitely come to a party at your house!
Especially since it would have my name all over it!

Cindy - We're staying in for NYE too. I'm baking the ham I didn't fix for Christmas on NY Day.

AND I just realized I forgot to pick up DS23's coat at the cleaners and they're closed now until Jan 2! He'll leave here before that!

Circles of fashion are more like spirals, covering the same area but never arriving in the same place twice!

°°◊°°
TuscanGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #246
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Rebecca130
Stats: 201/ 183/130
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: Jan 23, 2008
We'll probably hang out with Kim and the girls for the Eve and then on NY day were going to my moms to have Christmas/new years with her and my brother and his family.

No change in Guinie. Still not eating. I'm going to get a Wendy's chicken sandwich tomorrow, she started eating on day 7 the last time when I got a Wendy's sandwich. Might not work but I'm desperate.

I got my new phone, the iPhone 5. Hope I don't have the trouble with this one that I did with the last one. I lost all my games except for about 3... 4 of them I had 2 and 3 million points on. Choke choke!!

Didn't get moms money out or the gift cards today so I have to do that tomorrow before they close. Got to get a few groceries, cat food and strawberry quik so Gracie has her pink chocolate milk.

MK, I think of u when I use my MaryKay stuff. I wish you lived close too, for more reasons that just a makeup party!!!!
Old 12-29-2012, 02:05 AM   #247
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: ShortKayke
Stats: (High 165) 135/115/105 4'10"
WOE: My Atkins
Start Date: 10/03 on and off when jeans get tight!
Holidays aren't over yet!
Have to work this morning, rush through to get home so we can drive across the state for 'Christmas' as my mom's. I'll do my paperwork in the car during the 2+ hour drive.
We had a few inches of snow yesterday and the roads got bad by the time I finished work. I'm hoping it's cleared by today even though more snow is expected.

It's always a fun day and the cousins have a good time together. I'm just hoping my sister doesn't pull a drama bomb, like she does. I hate to see my mom disappointed.

Tomorrow is youngest DDs 18th birthday, so more celebration. Will probably be a quiet day but will go out to dinner at our favorite Chinese place. Hard to believe she's chronologically an adult, but has the mindset of someone much younger. I'm waiting for it to all 'click' for her as we're not sure she'll graduate since she has to pass everything. Algebra 2 is not going good so far. Keeping hope alive.

Next week we have plans to get together with two sets of friends to celebrate the holidays since the past couple of weeks have been so busy for everyone. So the festivities will continue on for another week it seems.
I was so tired yesterday I put chores aside and about fell into bed for a nap. Slept for 4 hour then went back to bed last at 9! I'm a bit tuckered out!

Caught Les Miz on Thursday with the girls and liked it, but didn't love it. They could have done so much more. Getting context of time and place was wasted when they filled the full screen with one face all the time (so big, so close, so gritty!) and in the barely seen background they did a great job reproducing 1830s France in all it's filth. The costuming and make up was well done. Hugh and Russell are great actors but not powerful singers so some powerful lyrics lost their punch. Anne Hathaway impressed me the most. I've seen the show 6+ times live and watch the 10th anniversary concert often, and cry every time. The movie didn't make me cry, they just didn't get us as emotionally attached as we should have been. We enjoyed seeing a show we know so well and thought casting was okay, but was hoping it packed more power because you can add so much more depth in a film beyond a stage show. So, liked it, but didn't love it.
Thank you for joining me at Kaye's Kritique Korner!

Must get out the door to work. Going to be a LONG day!

Hugs all around and hope you're all hanging in there!

p.s. too heavy, pants don't fit!
ShortKayke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:45 AM   #248

I like Les Mis. Never saw the play. Thought Hugh Jackman and Russell Crow were great. I felt they sang well. Yes, Ann Hathaway was amazing.

We were supposed to get snow but so far none,

Isabella and family sleeping over since they got home late and didn't want to pack up at midnight. She was spoiled. Had dinner and sat in high chair twice more. She ate and drank a ton. We played Thomas the Tank Engine on every TV and she never cried. Let her fall asleep in our bed and moved her to the pack and play. Her parents came in so quietly I didn't really hear them till they used the bathroom as it is just outside our bedroom and I kept the door open so I could hear the baby.

I hope your kitty eats Becky. People will come to Mary Kay parties because of you Becky!

MK, sounds like you will be mailing a coat.

Kaye, travel safe and have a good time with mom and cousins.

Kelly, I need to buy dip ingredients. I pray grocery not too wild today. I have to go to Roots for gluten free and regular store for rest of my list.

Cindy, crab legs sound yummy. My hubby would like that or Lobster Tail. He doesn't like to work too hard to get the meat. Not sure what we will do as I work till 7:15 NYE.

New Years Day we volunteer at a race and I have people to run with after. The race is in a park so we will just stay there.

Going out to dinner with Becca and Jordan at 6:30. I have some gifts we never gave them.

I am not sure why DH and I are up. He is already down making coffee. Isabella could have woken up and gone into bed ith her parents. 5:30 is her usual but on the weekends she goes back to sleep. She only napped an hour yesterday and went to sleep around 9:30.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:01 AM   #249
Big Yapper!!!!

I'm up too Debbie. Couldn't find Guinie and found her in johns bathroom all huddled up. Brought her out to the living room and rocked for a bit. She got down and is huddled again, going to run and get a mug if keuridband then rock some more. She's always loved to Rick since Alyssa was born. She discovered that joy with Akyssa.

Got the iPhone 5 last night and a pretty pink and gray case. Its a biggwrbphone and was deater light, almost too lifht hut balanced out whwn the case was pit on it. Lost all my games and have to start over. Sniff sniff.

It's snowing pretty heavy out. Kim was suppose to meet a guy at Starbucks about a half hour from here (halfway, he lives in Cincinnati) we were suppose to get 1-2". I can't tell how much we've gotten cuz we already had some of the 3-4" from the other day.

Going to get some coffee. I <3 my keurig platinum almost as much as the man that bought it. Lol.
Rebecca130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:28 AM   #250

DH emailed me from downstairs he was interested in Paleo. I think it would be hard for me. No Peanut butter and jelly for meal at work. I don't have time to eat nothing I can't down quickly and doesn't require cutting,heating. I often have to eat at my computer while charting.

How do you travel,eat out and other then fruit not sure what a quick snack would be. Again I need fast options at work. String cheese, cereal bar my go to foods.

I have mastered gluten free because there are gluten free convenience foods. Are there paleo convenience foods??
Old 12-29-2012, 05:24 AM   #251
Big Yapper!!!!

GUINIE JUST ATE!!!! I found a can of people chicken and she kicked all the juice and ate a few bites. Gonna get some people tuna and canned chicken today. A Wendy's chicken sandwich definitely cuz that's what kicked her appetite in the last time.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:55 AM   #252

Glad Guinie is eating

Hear Bella up. She is in bed with her parents.

Grey day but so far no snow.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:24 AM   #253
Queen Bargain Shopper

Gallery: Radmom413
Stats: Always a work in progress!
WOE: SB Vet/NMD
Start Date: Every day is a new start!
Hi gang!

Quick post before I get my day started.
I just ordered a new blowdryer online - can't wait to get it........story behind that one.

Oh and I met with the nurse yesterday and I am tweaking things again, We had a great conversation. Really opened my eyes about some things - can share more later.

That recipe sounds great Kelly - I may make it tomorrow for the game - Packers vs. Vikes. Kids are all coming over for sloppy joes..........DD23 and DF will go back on 1/1 and that will be the only opportunity for us to get together............

Becky - I want the 5!!! I will be able to upgrade in September (probably before that) but think I want to change providers......so will wait till contract is up.

Hi's and hugs to all!

•○•
"It is what it is."
•○•
Radmom413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:45 AM   #254
Big Yapper!!!!

Cindy, so far I like it my phone. Can't wait to call someone and see of they can actually hear me. My 4 constantly was cutting out when I would be at home.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:55 AM   #255
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good Morning-
DH is running, kiddos are sleeping. My grandmother sent us $$ for Christmas so I think we are going to spend it for NYE at Ruth's Chris. (yummy!)
I need to see if I can get reservations.

DS19 is still eating his way through local favorites. We had an early dinner last night in Little Italy. Really yummy, but I think the only gf thing on the menu is a salad. Even getting there early,we still had to wait in line, but at least we didn't have to wait in the one that stretches out the door and around the corner like when we were leaving.

Becky, so glad Guinie is up and around a bit. Sounds like she is getting stubborn and waiting for you to get her the good stuff to eat.

Debbie, there is definitely more planning/prep involved with paleo. I always try to have leftovers so there is something grab and go for lunch. Otherwise, I frequently throw things together. Lunch yesterday was a can of tuna, a handful of walnuts, mayo, chopped celery & green onions. I added chinese 5 spice powder, coconut aminos, and drizzled with sesame oil. I tossed all of that with salad veggies. It was really really tasty and just took a minute to throw it together. (and it would travel well to work with you)
There are a few websites that suggest pre-cooking simple meats so that dinner prep can be done more easily. There are some conveinence foods out there, but most of them are expensive. I try to menu plan for dinner and do as much prep ahead of time as possible. (Things like chopping veggies for tomorrow night's dinner when I make tonight's dinner)

Cindy, sounds like the nurse you met with understands where you are and what you need. That's a very good thing!
Hope you like the dip recipe. Its one of my favorites to throw together because I usually have all of the ingredients so I don't feel like I'm spending much money to make it.

Kaye, enjoy your ongoing Christmas celebrations. Hope the weekend is drama free. AND, to your DDalmost18.

MK, I have several recipe sites I like (just smoosh the words together and you know the end) The one with the cook ahead info was "stuff i make my husband" "clean eats in the zoo" usually posts her weekly menu and its a good place to look for ideas, not everything she posts is completely legal (either site) but its close enough as a starting place. I like chowstalker too and at the top you can choose what type of recipe you are looking for. Everything from vegetarian to whole 30 or by main ingredient. Other good ones are "jans sushi bar" or "the clothes make the girl"
Old 12-29-2012, 07:57 AM   #256

The cutting out wasn't the phone Becky. It was the service. The kids had problems in dorms.

When my oldest had A T and T it wouldn't work in his school. He had to get a Trac type phone during the pregnancy so he could be reached. They have Verizon now as do we with no problems.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:09 AM   #257

Kelly I don't think you can have mayo or bottled salad dressings on Paleo. I read many blogs and other sites online. I guess there are variations. I know there is Julian's Bread made in San Diego. It is frozen here and costs almost $10. I can only get at one store.

DH drinks a protein shake for breakfast and doesn't want to give that up. He ordered a Paleo book. I didn't bring it up.

I still have Bella and parents here.

Snowing wet snow.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:28 AM   #258
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Debbie, I make my own mayo using Julia Child's recipe. It is quick and easy. I try to get fresh eggs at the farmers market on Tuesdays (but I have used organic eggs from the grocery store too) I make a batch when I come in with the eggs and put it in a jar (that I have peeled a label off of) and it is usually gone in less than a week. Because the eggs are raw, I don't make it with regular grocery store eggs, I'm always a little afraid to do that. I put the whites in a separate container and they go into DS15's breakfast smoothie for a good protein source.

Mayo-
2 egg yolks (I use XL eggs)
1-1.5 cups oil (depends on the size of the eggs)
mustard
apple cider vinegar or lemon juice or other acid
salt

(it works best if ingredients aren't cold, I use an electric mixer)
mix (or whisk) egg yolks until they look thick and sticky. While continueing to mix add a splash of vinegar, mustard, & salt. Drizzle in oil VERY slowly while continueing to mix. It should keep a couple of weeks in the fridge, mine never lasts that long.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:51 AM   #259

Sounds yummy. I love mayo. DH loves egg salad. I could use regular eggs or the Egglands Best type egg. I use olive oil or canola oil.

It is snowing hard. Not sure how much we will get.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #260
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I normally use light olive oil. EVOO is too strong and it doesn't taste good. You would want an oil without a really strong flavor unless you were trying to flavor the mayo.

I always find a way to use the egg whites too. I don't like to waste food. There are some paleo smoothie recipes on the chowstalker site. Those might work in place of your DH's protein shake.
DS15 frequently has a smoothie for breakfast and I usually add either a whole raw egg or the egg whites left from something else. Some of the plans allow a little dairy, others only specific types of dairy (like raw or fermented) others no dairy at all. You could use coconut milk or almond milk for your DH's morning smoothie though.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #261

I only use almond milk. DH drinks a protein shake on his long ride to work. Doesn't want to fuss in morning since he has to drive through traffic and it can take over an hour. I think giving up Splenda would be hard. I am addicted to Crystal Light. He loves cherry coke zero and Splenda in coffee.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #262
Big Yapper!!!!

Where is everyone??? Check in girls!

Jim Brickman concert tomorrow at 2:00 on Cincinnati and its snowing AGAIN. We're suppose to pick mom up on the way if its not too bad out. She can't handle walking in snow now.

Suppose to snow again Monday and Tuesday which should be fun wih all the party going people and bad roads. We stay in now, we use to go to johns sisters about an hour away but it was all back roads. Now we just go to Kim's. last year we watched the girls so she could go to a friends of Sean's but this year we'll all just hang out together.

Someone come hang out with me, m lonely here!
Old 12-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #263
Princess Proofreader

Today was lunch with DS20, then shopping at Kohl's and Target, the library and home.

DS23 is back and he & DS20 have about 12 people downstairs doing something, so I'm going to go to bed early!

Kaye - to DD!!
I agree with your review - especially Russell Crowe.

Becky - Glad Guinie is doing better!!
You should still have your games! Go to settings and check or iTunes. They should still be there!

Kelly - thanks for the sites. I'm sure they're bookmarked somewhere!

Debbie - even if I'm not Paleo perfect, it will be better than what i'm doing now, if I just pay attention!
Old 12-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #264
Princess Proofreader

P.S.
Becky - LOVE your new avi!!
Old 12-30-2012, 02:43 AM   #265

I will hang out with you Becky. DH and I staying in. I work till 7:15. DH will drive me and pick me up since he is off.

We good go to a party with Mirsa's family but we don't like to drive NYE.

Hope the concert is good Becky and you not get too much snow.

Yes MK, partial paleo better then now. I tend to be an all or nothing girl when I do things. If my DH eats high fat and doesn't cut down eating he won't lose or stay the same.

I could use meat/egg fast just to real in my eating. Somehow my weight has stayed stable.i just feel fluffy!!!

I liked Russell Crow in the movie but not as much as the others. Again, I never saw the play. I see so few movies and enjoyed it.

I am up to run. I hear the wind blowing. The snow we got yesterday melted.

We leave in an hour so need to get ready.

Had a nice dinner with DS28 and DF. Gave them some gifts. Nothing huge.

DS21 home for two nights. He tends to stay at GFs house more since it is closer to his work and school. Means we need to plan dinner for tonight. May need another grocery run but I do have steaks. He would be happy with baked ziti. It is his favorite. DH and I had pasta two days ago and leftovers for lunch yesterday. A pasta portion on the box isn't reality. I tend to double it. I also make gluten free for me and regular for DH.

Have a nice Sunday. The big Redskins game is tonight!!! Can't wait!!! Hope they beat the Cowgirls!!

Saw Ange on FB

Jenn too!!

Need to check recipe sites Kelly mentioned.

Tend to broil meat and eat with veggie and maybe a potato or sweet potato most dinners we eat home. I don't eat terribly just too much. Add in holiday treats at work. I was probably better then usual because of gluten restriction but did eat some gluten with a few cookies and candies.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:02 AM   #266
Queen Bargain Shopper

Gallery: Radmom413
Stats: Always a work in progress!
WOE: SB Vet/NMD
Start Date: Every day is a new start!

I woke up this morning thinking - I still have three whole days before I go back to work!
Then I work W/TH and head to Nashville Friday!

I am tweaking my eating and my working out. I will be weighing in at work on Friday's and also have a follow up appt with the nurse a week from Tuesday. I am going to give this new regime a good solid try. The nurse thinks with an adjustment period, my body should respond.

We don't go out NYE - usually get crab legs and have a feast. DD23 will head to Oshkosh with DF as he has a show. DD25 and DH are going to friends. Some year I would like to organize a round robin with them and his brother/her BFF and her parents.....ending at one of their houses so we could go home when we were tired! Thought about it this year, but it was too late.

Becky - stay safe in your travels!!! We got about 6 inches again yesterday!

Kelly - enjoy your house full of boys!

MK - when does DS23 have to go back?

Debbie - have a good run!

I am off to make a protein shake and work out - Pack vs Vikes today and I may have a get together.......
Radmom413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:09 AM   #267
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Morning-
Waiting on coffee...

It turns out DS19 is working NYE until 9 anyway, so we'll go out Jan 1st for a family dinner. (he wants to go) Which means we'll stay in NYE.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #268
Big Yapper!!!!

Too bad we all don't live close to each other and we could NYE it together with our hubby's!

Concert was even better this time. Loved it. Driving home now, going to Applebee's and then to take Alyssa home.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:16 PM   #269
Princess Proofreader

Debbie - i agree, if we'd all just eat better all the time, we wouldn't have to do this every year!

Cindy - DS20 is watching the game . . .
DS23 will leave either tomorrow or on NY day.

Kelly - I'm tired of eating period!

DH made a big pot of chili, hot dogs, brats . . . and i don't want any of it!

Becky - which concert was this?
Old 12-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #270

Work tomorrow . Making Kelly's crab dip. Will make at 8am and plug in at work at 10:30 or so.

Meeting a couple for dinner at 9:15 at Seasons 52. They are supposed to have gluten free options need to check what they are. I think I can get home to change but may bring clothes to work. It would be my luck that I would get stuck an extra 30 or more minutes. DH driving me. I have to carry crockpot and crackers in for dip. The crock pot is heavy when food in it. He will carry it.

Becky, hope the concert is good.

DH and I went to Target and some of the shops by it. Then we had lunch at Corner Bakery. I have cleaned fridge out and done laundry and made dinner. Ds21 and GF went to movie so will eat late. We gave them Fandango gift card do they didn't have to pay. They are seeing Les Mis.

Redskins on at 8:15. They could win their division and get into playoffs without being a wildcats I guess.
We wish the game was on already!!!

Cindy, isn't the iPad great. We even have it set up wirelessly to our printer.

MK when do your campers leave??

Kaye, happy birthday to your youngest. Can't believe she is 18.

Kelly, we are coming to San Diego in July for a cousins vacation. I think we will be there around 5 days. Staying at La Jolla Hilton at Torrey Pines again.

Wishing Jenn would check in.

Better check dinner and still have two drawers to clean in fridge.