Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 05:43 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Thinner by Valentine's Day

This challenge is to continue the 3-month challenges that some of us have been doing in the "Thinner in Three" and "Thinner by Thankgiving" challenge threads. We welcome new members, old members who may have taken a break for a while, and on-going members. Please join us and state your goal for the next 3 months and let us know what type of plan you are following.

I got into the 180s during my last 3-month challenge. My new goal is to become overweight rather than obese, which means a weight of 169 or less for someone of my height. If I get there by Valentine's Day, that would be great, but it's okay if it takes longer and I just make progress toward the goal. I am doing lowcarb/highfat/moderate protein (nutritional ketosis) plus primal (eating very clean but still eating dairy) on JUDDD up days, and eating lean protein plus a little fat (half and half in coffee, coconut oil) on JUDDD down days.

I look forward to continuing to see old friends and meeting new friends through this challenge.

Last edited by svenskamae; 11-26-2012 at 05:44 AM..
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2012, 05:58 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mrs S
WOE: LCHF Vegetarian + Eat Stop Eat
Start Date: 8.13.12
I'd like to participate in this challenge. It will be my first. I'd like to drop 20lbs by V-Day. That would put me officially halfway to my goal.

I'm following a HFLC vegetarian WOE with 2 or 3 days of IF (Fast 5) per week.

Thanks for starting this!
Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:45 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs S View Post
I'd like to participate in this challenge. It will be my first. I'd like to drop 20lbs by V-Day. That would put me officially halfway to my goal.

I'm following a HFLC vegetarian WOE with 2 or 3 days of IF (Fast 5) per week.

Thanks for starting this!
, Mrs S! I'm very glad that you will be joining us.

I was a vegetarian for over 40 years and only gave it up because I found that my vegetarian staples of legumes and whole grains didn't let me go as lowcarb as I personally needed to do to lose weight. Now that I am doing non-vegetarian HFLC, I get most of my protein from fish, poultry, nuts, and eggs, together with full-fat dairy, which seems more comfortable to me as a former vegetarian than eating a lot of red meat. If you don't mind my asking, what do you primarily use as protein sources as a HFLC vegetarian? I might want to return to a vegetarian WOE at some point, though I'm sure I will always need to restrict carbs substantially, so I'd really appreciate your sharing more information about your approach.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:00 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zagnut
Stats: 143/119/118
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: 5/24/12-LC 12/1/12-LC JUDDD
Welcome Mrs. S! Glad you are joining in!
Thanks for starting the challenge Sven! I'm back and my goals are about the same as last challenge.
Weight today was 126, so I want to be at or around 120 by V-day.
Also need to monitor my BS levels more often to make sure they are staying low. I had a problem with too much protein at one point and have since reduced that and added higher fat to help.
Looking forward to seeing everyone back for this round and meeting new people!
zagnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Macc0021
Stats: Pregnant - trying to keep gains at a minimum! :)
WOE: wheat allergy + low carb + pregnant!
Start Date: Every day!
Hello! I'd like to join in on the new challenge as well My goal is 123 by Valentine's Day. It's a big goal.... but I know I CAN do it if I stick to what I know works!!!

I also want to incorporate pilates and yoga and some strength training.

I'm going to St. Thomas in the beginning of April, so I need to be swimsuit-ready!!!

Cheers to LC! Good luck to all!

ETA: I didn't weigh today, but I am guessing I am at 130... too much food/drinks over the holiday weekend and I feel bloated!

Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground.

In general, mankind, since the improvement of cookery, eats twice as much as nature requires.
Macc0021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:27 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
, Mrs S! I'm very glad that you will be joining us.

I was a vegetarian for over 40 years and only gave it up because I found that my vegetarian staples of legumes and whole grains didn't let me go as lowcarb as I personally needed to do to lose weight. Now that I am doing non-vegetarian HFLC, I get most of my protein from fish, poultry, nuts, and eggs, together with full-fat dairy, which seems more comfortable to me as a former vegetarian than eating a lot of red meat. If you don't mind my asking, what do you primarily use as protein sources as a HFLC vegetarian? I might want to return to a vegetarian WOE at some point, though I'm sure I will always need to restrict carbs substantially, so I'd really appreciate your sharing more information about your approach.
Thank you! I'm very happy to be here.

The primal WOE initially appealed to me but they aren't very down with the vegetarian thing so I've just modified it to suit me and have been really happy with it so far. Don't misunderstand, I do think eating meat is natural and probably healthier for humans but I just can't bring myself to eat any meat or fish so I subsist quite well on nut butters, butter, CO, HWC, sour cream, full fat cheese (quite a lot of it and I still lose thankfully), eggs, avocados, veggie sausages, high fat homemade veggie burgers, fat bombs, smoothies, almond milk, crustless pizza, sugar free cheesecake (almost every night before bed), Cleochatra's oopsie rolls, sausage/egg/cheese muffins (modeled after Linda Sue's tuna muffins), and if I'm dying for pasta, I'll bake a spaghetti squash and have a cup with butter tomato sauce. I started off eating a lot of fake meat but the protein and soy was way too high. I only have one serving of fake meat every couple of days or so now. I get most of my carbs from mushrooms, broccoli, onions, garlic, greens and raspberries, the occasional bowl of miso soup and the small amounts that come in some dairy, nuts, etc... I generally keep carbs to 8-10% max.

If I couldn't have dairy, I couldn't do this so I'm so thankful I outgrew my former nightmare- lactose intolerance.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:39 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome back, Zagnut and Macc. I'm very pleased that you will be continuing on with this round of our 3-month challenges.

Macc, good for you for having an exercise goal, along with a weight goal. I'm going to try to get myself to do T-Tapp and/or Callanetics over the course of this challenge; I have the DVDs out but haven't used them yet. Since it will be too cold to walk for pleasure, I really need to get into a home exercise routine like that. I was thinking about trying to alternate high-resistence fast work on my elliptical machine with T-Tapp/Callanetics over the course of the week, at least 5 days a week, as my exercise goal (along with continuing to walk to and from work and to do errands). Zagnut, are you thinking about getting back to doing Callanetics?

Thanks for sharing the information about what you eat for protein, Mrs S. I had to give up dairy due to a food intolerance, for about 9 months, a few years ago, and I missed it like crazy. I'm glad we can both eat dairy again.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:54 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

I forgot about exercise. I guess that tells you how important it is. I think I'll bust out the Fluidity bar and videos to dip my toe in again. I did start a Tuesday yoga class last week so hopefully I'll keep up with that. My elliptical mocks me daily. I'll just hang more stuff on it!
Old 11-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

LOL Sven, I had typed the exercise/muscle toning goal in my original post and deleted it because I didn't want to fail again. It is a goal, I still do Callanetics, but not enough, I do some of the basic warm-ups every day just to get moving.
I am going to have to add an exercise routine of some sort to get toned up, no doubt about it. I loved Callanetics but I did get bored so need to find other things to add that might be fun. I have one of those big bouncy yoga balls, I just need to blow it back up LOL!
If anyone has a type of exercise that they love, I'm open for ideas! Callanetics works, don't get me wrong, it just became dull for me, and if you can't stick with something, then I guess it doesn't matter if it works or not
Old 11-26-2012, 10:17 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 4myfuture
Stats: 216/186/166
WOE: 2 meals low carb, 1 meal my choice no snacks
Hi All! At my last nutritionist appointment I weighed in at 186. I have hovered at that number for a very long time. Sometimes at home in the morning I weigh 181. I would like to hit the 170's on my doctor's scale this challenge. Here are my goals:

1. Keep a daily journal of food intake and exercise accomplished
2. Workout 4 times each week
3. Eat 3 healthy low carb meals; minimal snacking
4. Wear clothes that fit and flatter
5. Reach the 70's

Yoga, kickboxing, and good ol' walking for my exercise!

Today is day one for me of the challenge. Ate on plan and walked 50 minutes outside before work!

Everyone enjoy their day!

In the end, all you need is kindness. ~Jewel
4myfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #11
Lyn
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lyn
I would like to join, too. Shooting for 20 pounds putting me in the middle of the 240s.

Push Hard!

p.s. Forgot to add my plan. It is my own thing. Kind of South Beachy, but stricter.

Last edited by Lyn; 11-26-2012 at 10:35 AM..
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dansamy
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 03/11/2012
I want to join!

I just want to focus on tracking my food and not going overboard. (My calories have been an embarrassingly high average here lately. )

Weight-wise, I'd like to be down 15-20 pounds or so.

Last edited by dansamy; 11-26-2012 at 10:34 AM..
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sfmom
Stats: 176/112.0/135 5'8" tall
WOE: Low carb
Hi girls - just marking my spot for the new challenge, welcome to all our new joiners. I am thinking about lowering my goal weight to 125 but I don't know if DH will like it.
I bought the Jillian shred DVD and hope to get back into exercising in this challenge.

Audrey
sfmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:28 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Audrey--You look wonderful in your avatar. 125???!!!! I think you look amazing and are at a very healthy weight, don't you?
Old 11-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Lindsay that is so sweet to say - I have to say I DID NOT eat the birthday cupcake in front of me - You are right I am at healthy weight for my height and I am wearing size 6 jeans. The 125 is more for vanity than anything else maybe I should just focus on toning and not worry about losing anymore, I just like having something to focus on and as you guys know exercise is not my thing LOL

You have set excellent goals for yourself for the challenge and I am sure you will reach them all!!
Old 11-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stepinthyme
Stats: 289/???/190 - 5'-8"
WOE: Low Carb/Counting Calories
Start Date: Restart January 2014
Count me in for this challenge--my goal is to lose 20 pounds. That will put me where I was last year before the great upheavals of this year completely threw me off course...

My WOE is a combo of low carb whole foods and counting calories...
stepinthyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:17 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

I took my measurements last night for the first time in years. YIKES. I never got around to it when I started back in August. So I'll have another way to measure progress for this challenge.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:44 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Hi Valentine's day challengers!

It's rainy and gloomy here in NJ---but I won't be reaching for any of those high carb foods that I used to in the fall/winter months.

Daily Mantra - I am not a hibernating bear.

I can't believe the December holidays are almost upon us. I want to wear something nice for Christmas eve this year, so this challenge is good!
Old 11-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, old friends and new friends! new members dansamy, stepinthyme, and MyTime.

Audrey, you look just lovely in your new avatar. I'm glad that you changed it, so we can better see how pretty you are.

Lindsay, I hope we both see the 170s before this challenge is over. I really like your goal of "Wear clothes that fit and flatter." I went with my sister to a very nice used (and cheap) clothing store in Western Massachusetts (Amherst) last week and got a beautiful winter coat and a lovely fall raincoat, plus some sweaters and blouses, so I can do better at trying to meet that same goal myself. It's wonderful to find that I can wear most of the "large" clothes in used clothing stores now, instead of feeling too big for almost everything. The scale was at 188 today, so I've got just 19 pounds more pounds to lose to get out of the "obese" category.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stepinthyme
Stats: 289/???/190 - 5'-8"
WOE: Low Carb/Counting Calories
Start Date: Restart January 2014
Quote:
a very nice used (and cheap) clothing store in Western Massachusetts (Amherst) last week
What a small world!! We just moved back to Minnesota in February from Western Mass--we were just south of Amherst, in Granby. The thrift stores in the area were wonderful. The winter coat I'm wearing now came from a thrift store in Springfield!
stepinthyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Hey lowarbers! I made spaghetti squash tonight and baked chicken! Decaf coffee with cream afterwards. Feeling good. How about you?
Old 11-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4myfuture View Post
Hey lowarbers! I made spaghetti squash tonight and baked chicken! Decaf coffee with cream afterwards. Feeling good. How about you?
Oh my gosh, I made spaghetti squash for the first time 2 weeks ago and we loved it! It was kind of a casserole type thing I made, just cheeses, cream, garlic, herbs etc and baked it.
I have another sitting on my counter right now that I'm going to do something with this week. We loved it so much, we are going to grow them next year, though I heard they can take over the world with how big the plants get lol
How did you make yours, and do you have any favorite recipes?
Old 11-28-2012, 11:50 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Stepinthyme, I'm hoping to get a paper accepted at a conference in Boston in March, and to take another trip to the Amherst Salvation Army then. Maybe I'll even be able to fit into some of the size medium clothes by then, and get a new summer wardrobe.

Lindsay and Zagnut, I haven't tried spaghetti squash yet but plan to do so soon. I pruned my recipe cards to include just the low carb dishes, but saved the pasta sauce recipes so that I could use them on zoodles or spaghetti squash. Now I have to try making the zucchini or spaghetti squash noodles ...

My weight was down to 186 this morning, so I'm just a pound from having lost 50 pounds and just 17 pounds from no longer being obese. I am so glad that JUDDD plus primal plus LCHF is working for me, and I sure hope that it continues to work! After months of just losing a pound/month while eating lowcarb (but not doing LCHF and JUDDD), it's so wonderful to be losing around 8 pounds/month lately.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Sven - thank you for the nice compliment it really made my day - that photo is from Thanksgiving at my sisters on Sunday.

I am so happy you are on a weight loss roll - 50lbs is quite the accomplishment It was great that you were able to find yourself some clothing bargains at the "Used" Clothing Store. I think we not only look better but feel better in our clothing when it fits properly.

On the spaghetti squash subject - I have made it many times for DH with homemade marina sauce that had hamburger in it. He loves it, I have yet to try it myself. I am thinking since you all love it that I need to try it myself. We did grow them ourselves one year and they didn't take over the yard anymore than a zucchini plant would. But you do get alot of them!!
Old 11-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

I forgot to mention that I went to the allergist and I tested positive for a wheat allergy with the skin prick test. My allergist was actually shocked, because it is apparently very rare for an adult to develop a wheat allergy. He wants me to get the RAST blood test done as well to see what that shows. He said it could come back negative. Either way... I physically saw the big red itchy welt on my skin from the test, so I know my body reacted negatively to it!!!

I'm a bit sad about the diagnosis. But it really isn't that big of deal, because I was avoiding wheat anyways, for the most part. I'm most annoyed about not being able to go out to eat!!! There is wheat hidden in everything, and I've never been very careful about it.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

My spaghetti squash had sautéed zucchini, shallots, tomatoes, and spices to taste. It came out good. I put it with baked chicken with red sauce and mozzarella-my versiorn of chicken parm. It got mixed in a bit with the red sauce and grated cheese, yum. I will definitely be trying different ways to make it, b/c it seems so versatile!

I went to Yoga tonight and the final thought was about love. As I am on my weight loss journey or sometimes I think of it as my onward healthy living journey, since weight loss is only one part of it----I realize that each day we learn to love ourself a little more and accept ourself, we become a more open person, more content, and less frazzled. My challenge isn't always about losing the "weight". It's about being a more balanced person.
Ok, I'm done with my weird out there rant. LOL

Hope everyone had a great day. Tomorrow I hope to eat a nice salad for lunch and enjoy the sun, even though it is probably going to be cold.

ttyall soon, Lindsay
Old 11-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Macc. I remember your posting about a pretty severe reaction after you ate wheat not long ago, so it makes sense that you got the formal diagnosis about a wheat allergy. If you do go out to eat, try to go to non-chain restaurants where they make things from scratch, and ask the waiter about which dishes contain no wheat, making it clear that you have a severe allergy. In chain restaurants, everything is pretty much preprepared and frozen, so the staff don't have much control over ingredients.

Also, try googling "Yelp gluten free for you and me Minneapolis" to get a list of restaurants in the Twin Cities with gluten free menus. The list includes Bryant Lake Bowl, Smalley's Caribbean Barbeque, St. Clair Broiler, and Hell's Kitchen. I know that the Pizza Lucce restaurants also have some gluten-free dishes. There's another list at urbanspoon, under "Downtown Minneapolis Gluten-Free Friendly Restaurants" that lists 24 restaurants.

Be safe and well and always carry an epi-pen with you!
Old 11-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Lindsay. I liked your post about this being a healthy living journey and coming to like and accept ourselves more. I feel much calmer and more content since switching to a lowcarb woe--both because I'm losing weight and because my blood sugar is no longer rocketing up and down. I'm glad that you are feeling happier in multiple ways, too.

Last night I went grocery shopping and bought my first spaghetti squash, inspired by all the posts about spaghetti squash. Sunday is an up day for me on JUDDD, so I'll try baking and eating my first spaghetti squach that day.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi, Macc. I remember your posting about a pretty severe reaction after you ate wheat not long ago, so it makes sense that you got the formal diagnosis about a wheat allergy. If you do go out to eat, try to go to non-chain restaurants where they make things from scratch, and ask the waiter about which dishes contain no wheat, making it clear that you have a severe allergy. In chain restaurants, everything is pretty much preprepared and frozen, so the staff don't have much control over ingredients.

Also, try googling "Yelp gluten free for you and me Minneapolis" to get a list of restaurants in the Twin Cities with gluten free menus. The list includes Bryant Lake Bowl, Smalley's Caribbean Barbeque, St. Clair Broiler, and Hell's Kitchen. I know that the Pizza Lucce restaurants also have some gluten-free dishes. There's another list at urbanspoon, under "Downtown Minneapolis Gluten-Free Friendly Restaurants" that lists 24 restaurants.

Be safe and well and always carry an epi-pen with you!
Thanks for the tips!! How could I possibly feel deprived with Brasa, Pizza Luce and Hell's Kitchen??!!

I know it won't be so bad... gluten free is so popular/mainstream now and it seems like there are lots of options.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:19 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Are there any foods that you consider illegal foods that you would like to incorporate in your life at some point?

Here are two of mine: tortilla chips, boston cream donut

Ones I can give up forever---pretzels, chips, french fries, cookies, pasta, rice, cake, and so many more!