Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 02:33 PM   #241
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Adoug4ho
Stats: 222/198/175?
Start Date: October 29, 2012; restart 1/14/13 (carb creep!)
Sven, it's frustrating! But like you, I enjoy it too much to give it up. I also see/feel changes (like looser clothing) even if the scale is not moving as I'd like. You'll have to keep us updated on what's working for you.
Adoug4ho is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2013, 04:56 AM   #242
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Thank goodness, I had a bit of a whoosh this morning --getting me almost to my low of 179, instead of hovering between 182-183 as I'd been doing for 3 weeks.

The secret to my success here appears to have been 1) not exercising other than walking to and from work; 2) having a super-low calorie down day of under 200 calories, all of which were fat; 3) not giving up during the 3 weeks on a plateau. Anyway, I'm planning to stay with this approach until my weight goes below 170, at which point my BMI will be out of the obese range, and I won't mind taking a "maintenance break" to exercise again--for a while anyway.

I woke up ravenous and had crustless quiche and coffee with heavy cream. The rest of today, I'm having bacon, macademia nuts, and more coffee/tea with cream (maximum calories 1700).

It's a bit restrictive, but at least I'm not facing a day of rice cakes and lettuce with lowfat dressing, like on some low fat, high carb diets I've done in the past.

Have a great day, everyone. I hope the whoosh fairy visits all of you, too.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:49 AM   #243
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 4myfuture
Stats: 216/186/166
WOE: healthy lower carb meals - no snacking
WTG Sven! YOU ARE AWESOME! My woosh fairy must be on strike lately! I am going to continue to work out, but this weekend, I'm going back to Induction for two weeks to kick some cravings and hopefully get the ball rolling again. We will see, I've got my print out of of legal induction foods ready to go!

Have a great day everyone!
4myfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:36 AM   #244
Major LCF Poster!

Doing a couple of weeks of induction sounds like a good way to lure the whoosh fairy, Lindsay.

I really like your sig WOE of "mindful & informed"--that fits you very well.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:45 AM   #245
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Sven, Yes, I'm going to start Induction Level on Saturday, two weeks is definitely doable, I'm gearing up for no fruit, beans, and root veggies. Good meat and veggies here I come!

I barely have any posts, and I feel I come on here a lot. Sven, you have over 2,000 posts---GO YOU! A lot of others have been on here with less time than me and have so many more posts. I guess I just do what I can!

Off to Atlantic City tonight for dinner, Not going off course... I'm not going to eat whatever today and tomorrow b/c of my induction plan for Saturday, I'm just doing my thing and when Saturday comes, my food will just go by a more strict plan for two weeks, that's it. I'm really curious to see if my chocolate craving will subside.

In the end, all you need is kindness. ~Jewel
Old 01-31-2013, 11:32 AM   #246
Major LCF Poster!

I'm so glad that you regularly come to these challenges and post, Lindsay. Our "Thinner In" groups have been so helpful in keeping me on track when I was barely losing anything for long periods--thank goodness you do check and post here! I'd really miss you if you left our challenges.

I hope you are able to find some tasty on-plan options in Atlantic City tonight.

I've been coping with longings for chocolate by drinking teas that have some chocolate flavoring, with added cream. I know it's not the same as actually eating chocolate, but it really does make me feel not-deprived on the chocolate front. There's a nice sampler of chocolate-flavored teas that one can order from David's Tea.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:46 AM   #247
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Sven, coping with chocolate cravings---sounds like the beginning of a separate support group to me. LOL I think you are right that I should look for some options that are satisfying and not sabotaging. I will check in later. Have a good afternoon!
Old 01-31-2013, 05:37 PM   #248
Senior LCF Member

Cutting back exercising, huh Sven??

I can't stop grappling with this
Old 01-31-2013, 05:45 PM   #249
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
Oh Sven, I am so happy that the scale finally moved for you!! I am purposefully NOT working out every single day because I don't want to slow my weight loss too bad. Doing every day was just keeping me hanging on to too much water, I think. I am enjoying my new routine so much more now that we only do the 20 minutes of cardio. We are usually not at the gym for more than one hour and that's including doing the massage table

Lindsay, I hope you and your husband have wonderful time. Strict induction usually takes away all of my cravings. IF you need a good chocolate recipe though, I just made a chocolate torte this week that only takes a bite or two and the chocolate cravings are silenced. It is so rich.

We only have 14 more days on this challenge.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:32 PM   #250
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoug4ho View Post
Cutting back exercising, huh Sven??

I can't stop grappling with this
Unfortunately, I have a lot of experience with doing a lot of exercise and not losing weight. For several months a few years ago, I did 2-3 hours of exercise on an elliptical machine almost every day, supposedly using up 1-2K calories each day, according to the machine, and didn't lose a pound. (I did gain some muscle, but my weight went up to accomodate it.) I'd hoped that I'd fare better with exercise when I was eating lowcarb and doing JUDDD and keeping the exercise to no more than 1 hour/day, but apparently not.

My guess is that increased exercise (beyond the walking that I do every day) easily spikes my cortisol, and then I just can't lose weight. Kind of like how everything with many more carbs than say, spinach, pretty much spikes my insulin so that I can't lose weight. I've had problems with adrenal fatigue in the past, so I know that my control of my adrenal hormones/cortisol isn't very good.

I'll try again for a month this spring or summer, when/if I get past that "obese" measurement into happy "overweight" land.

I don't think my experience here is typical, so don't let it scare you off from exercising.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:35 PM   #251
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
Oh Sven, I am so happy that the scale finally moved for you!! I am purposefully NOT working out every single day because I don't want to slow my weight loss too bad. Doing every day was just keeping me hanging on to too much water, I think. I am enjoying my new routine so much more now that we only do the 20 minutes of cardio. We are usually not at the gym for more than one hour and that's including doing the massage table

Lindsay, I hope you and your husband have wonderful time. Strict induction usually takes away all of my cravings. IF you need a good chocolate recipe though, I just made a chocolate torte this week that only takes a bite or two and the chocolate cravings are silenced. It is so rich.

We only have 14 more days on this challenge.
Thanks, cfine. I'm glad that you've found a good balance for your exercise/weight loss. Doing those intense bursts of exercise/interval training is probably doing a lot more for your health and muscles than if you did it 3-4 times as long at a plodding pace, and it sounds like it's more fun for you, too.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:08 AM   #252
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Thanks, cfine. I'm glad that you've found a good balance for your exercise/weight loss. Doing those intense bursts of exercise/interval training is probably doing a lot more for your health and muscles than if you did it 3-4 times as long at a plodding pace, and it sounds like it's more fun for you, too
I sure hope it's helping I can't believe that I'm actually enjoying exercising. What a change. I love knowing that it won't take me long to finish my workout.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:45 AM   #253
Major LCF Poster!

Down a pound today, to a new low of 178. 9 more pounds to lose to become "overweight" rather than "obese"; I hope to get there before summer.

A friend from grad school and I are going to spend a week in New York City together at the end of April, and I'm planning to just eat lowcarb during that week. Until then, I'm going to stay with NK/JUDDD; lately, I'm doing just fluids every other day, with a bit of fat in coffee or tea, and find that is actually a bit easier than eating just a little food.

When I get solidly into the 160s (say, 165 or less), I'm going to do another biometric assessment through my employer's insurance plan, and see how my numbers (lipids, fasting gluose, fat percentage) look. It will be interesting to see if my insurance plan will still barrage me with "helpful" suggestions about losing weight (Weight Watchers style only) and directives that I must "Lose Weight!" once I'm not obese.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #254
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
Unfortunately, I have a lot of experience with doing a lot of exercise and not losing weight. For several months a few years ago, I did 2-3 hours of exercise on an elliptical machine almost every day, supposedly using up 1-2K calories each day, according to the machine, and didn't lose a pound. (I did gain some muscle, but my weight went up to accomodate it.) I'd hoped that I'd fare better with exercise when I was eating lowcarb and doing JUDDD and keeping the exercise to no more than 1 hour/day, but apparently not.

My guess is that increased exercise (beyond the walking that I do every day) easily spikes my cortisol, and then I just can't lose weight. Kind of like how everything with many more carbs than say, spinach, pretty much spikes my insulin so that I can't lose weight. I've had problems with adrenal fatigue in the past, so I know that my control of my adrenal hormones/cortisol isn't very good.

I'll try again for a month this spring or summer, when/if I get past that "obese" measurement into happy "overweight" land.

I don't think my experience here is typical, so don't let it scare you off from exercising.
Well this week I went half effort. Next week I'm back to running again. It just gets my days started off so well Lets hope I don't mess myself up. I can see that my body comp is changing.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #255
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoug4ho View Post
Well this week I went half effort. Next week I'm back to running again. It just gets my days started off so well Lets hope I don't mess myself up. I can see that my body comp is changing.
Cool. Tell us more--are you losing in the places you hoped to lose? Building stronger muscles? Seeing more definition/tone in your arms and legs? Getting a flatter tummy? All of the above?

I'm glad you are enjoying running. What part of the country are you in? I know some diehard Minnesota runners who continue to run in subzero weather. I walk in subzero weather, but I am mentally cursing when I do it, and go only where I have to (such as to work).
Old 02-03-2013, 06:27 AM   #256
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Down a pound today, to a new low of 178. 9 more pounds to lose to become "overweight" rather than "obese"; I hope to get there before summer.

I can't believe that 178 is still considered obese. Oh my! Now I know why most Americans are considered obese

I'm still chugging along with my exercising. Last night we left it all out there and worked extra hard. We were exhausted after we finished but it felt good to be able to do it. No weight loss but I figured out why. My melatonin had dextrose in it and I didn't pay attention. I'm switching brands today.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #257
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

I can't believe that 178 is still considered obese. Oh my! Now I know why most Americans are considered obese

I'm still chugging along with my exercising. Last night we left it all out there and worked extra hard. We were exhausted after we finished but it felt good to be able to do it. No weight loss but I figured out why. My melatonin had dextrose in it and I didn't pay attention. I'm switching brands today.
Well, I'm short (5'3'') so I have to get down to 169 to be "non-obese" and down to 141 to be "normal" weight. I definitely still have a lot to lose.

Congratulations on finding the problem in your melatonin. It's also possible that your extra hard interval training is making your muscles hold onto water to heal, because you are working them HARD. I'm sure there's a good whoosh coming to you soon.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #258
Senior LCF Member

Sven, I'm losing inches all over. My trainer measures us every 6 weeks. My current "target area" is my hips/upper thighs. I also know this number will take longer to shrink because I'm building up muscle too. This has definitely been a lesson in how "spot" losing is not really possible. I think I've generally gotten smaller all around. But I know part of this is the muscle tone I've gained. Isn't the saying: dieting is what you do to look good with clothes, working out is what you do to look good without them!

I got a few compliments today from other participants at the gym about my weight loss. Feels good and makes me want to stay on track. With that in mind, off to pull my cheesy cauliflower garlic bread out of the oven. My BFF and I are having a low carb Super Bowl!
Old 02-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #259
Major LCF Poster!

Woohoo for inches lost! And woohoo for a low carb Super Bowl! Woohoo for compliments at the gym! Great job!

Maybe your trainer can suggest what to do if you especially want to focus on a particular area. Callenetics seems to be a popular and effective method for spot toning (available on DVD); I have the DVDs but am waiting to get into the 160s before I start doing them, lest the workouts stall me again.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #260
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for being such an awesome cheerleader! I actually bought one of the DVDs and I've only done it once. Thanks for reminding me to dig it out.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:15 AM   #261
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Sven, I'm losing inches all over. My trainer measures us every 6 weeks. My current "target area" is my hips/upper thighs. I also know this number will take longer to shrink because I'm building up muscle too. This has definitely been a lesson in how "spot" losing is not really possible. I think I've generally gotten smaller all around. But I know part of this is the muscle tone I've gained. Isn't the saying: dieting is what you do to look good with clothes, working out is what you do to look good without them!

I got a few compliments today from other participants at the gym about my weight loss. Feels good and makes me want to stay on track. With that in mind, off to pull my cheesy cauliflower garlic bread out of the oven. My BFF and I are having a low carb Super Bowl!
WTG!! I LOVE getting compliments. It makes my day

I have a couple of good things to tell. First of all, no sugary melatonin last night..1.6lb loss on the scale this morning!! Also, I bought one of my favorite bras a size smaller when it was on clearance months ago. I wore it proudly yesterday for the first time along with a pair of jeans that were too tight last week. I owe it all to exercising because I am still 5lbs above my original low weight from last year. I couldn't wear the bra or the jeans then so there's my pitch for continuing to exercise.

Hope everyone has a great Monday!! It's going to be a long one for me.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:07 AM   #262
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
WTG!! I LOVE getting compliments. It makes my day

I have a couple of good things to tell. First of all, no sugary melatonin last night..1.6lb loss on the scale this morning!! Also, I bought one of my favorite bras a size smaller when it was on clearance months ago. I wore it proudly yesterday for the first time along with a pair of jeans that were too tight last week. I owe it all to exercising because I am still 5lbs above my original low weight from last year. I couldn't wear the bra or the jeans then so there's my pitch for continuing to exercise.

Hope everyone has a great Monday!! It's going to be a long one for me.
Wonderful news, cfine! I'm glad you are starting your long Monday with both NSV (non-scale victories) and a whoosh on the scale. And woohoo for exercise paying off with smaller sized clothes!
Old 02-04-2013, 06:37 AM   #263
Senior LCF Member

YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had agreat time with hubby in AC, had a few things off plan, but nothing too bad. I did make good choices.

So, I went back on Saturday to cutting out all wheat, even my low carb bread and my healthy whole grain-no sugar cereal I like. Only thing I really can't cut is FRUIT! So, my so called induction is my way, but I'm enjoying tweaking my diet again. I think it's making me feel better.

Superbowl, my DH and I made wings and chili---yummy!

Still getting in my workouts too!

Love reading your posts---you guys truly rock!
Old 02-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #264
Senior LCF Member

Cheers to non-scale victories and also to truly making this a WOL, not just a WOE. Hoping right back on plan is the sign of a life-style change. I've had a few of those moments this month and they make me feel great!
Old 02-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #265
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had agreat time with hubby in AC, had a few things off plan, but nothing too bad. I did make good choices.

I am so tired after a long day. Glad it's my day off from the gym
Old 02-05-2013, 07:07 AM   #266
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am finally back to 228.6 this morning. It took me ten days to get back to this after my carb binge. I am hoping that I remember this and don't do it again. Trying not to look back!! I can't change the past, only the future. Still hoping I can meet my goal of being under 225.3 by the 14th. I think I can do it if I stay on plan
Old 02-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #267
Senior LCF Member

CFINE YAY! It feels good to be determined and you did it...only 10 days..that's awesome! I have to remind myself how the real evil carbs make me feel too.

ADOUG4HO Inches are pure fat loss! wtg!

SVEN ---How are things for you?

Just to report in a little for myself. No wheat since Saturday, feels good. My "induction" is turning into no wheat, root veggies, pasta, rice. Sugar is a different story---I had a rootbeer float with low carb vanilla ice cream (little bit)----so good.

Today I'm starting to wonder if I will ever get into the 170's? I really am the type of person who believes in balance. I work out, I am very aware of what I eat now and I work hard at it everyday---and my goal weight on my avi is still considered overweight for my height! FRUSTRATING.

I will not throw in the towel and revert back to eating crap, but I'm not willing to restrict my diet to the bare minimum. I need balance and variety or I will just eat the cookies again.
Sometimes I think my hard work should be paying off sooner!

I was feeling thinner than ever the other day, scale read 185-----wth?

I'm wearing a size L fitted T from Old Navy and it looks nice, still 185.

Looking better overall for sure, but will my back fat ever disappear? LOL

My friend eats very healthy, not low carb per say, b/c I see her eat lots of whole grain foods, I even see her eat cookies (homemade of course). SHE IS A STICK FIGURE.
But she is a runner, miles and miles and miles, marathons too.

That is not me. Not a runner, used to run in college, but not for me now.

Ok, what an interesting post. Sorry if got to be too much of a ramble for y'all.

So, in conclusion.... I eat well, exercise, dress better, don't run.......maybe I should drink more water? LOL

Talk to you all later. Have a LOW CARB, BIG SMILE Day!!!!! You guys are awesome!

Lindsay

Last edited by 4myfuture; 02-05-2013 at 10:09 AM..
Old 02-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #268
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Lindsay-I think you are doing great! You have to do what works for you and what you are willing and able to do for life. The "no wheat" policy is a good one. Just keep working at it. You will see those 170's at some point. Exercise has got to count for something..right? LOL!
Old 02-05-2013, 06:13 PM   #269
Senior LCF Member

Lindsay you're looking great. Keep focusing on those awesome changes. And holla when you find the miracle back fat cure!
Old 02-06-2013, 07:04 AM   #270
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think I ate too much cheese yesterday. I was up three pounds this morning. Not stressing over it, just reporting the facts Going for my workout now. Ya'll have a blessed day!