Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #151
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 4myfuture
Stats: 216/186/166
WOE: healthy lower carb meals - no snacking
Thanks for the sweet suggestions. I'm going to try all of them! I will be getting some dark chocolate to freeze and break off if needed.
4myfuture is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2013, 08:43 PM   #152
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zagnut
Stats: 143/119/118
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: 5/24/12-LC 12/1/12-LC JUDDD
I eat the frozen black cherries too! And blueberries.
My favorite thing is chunky peanut butter...i have to control myself around it. I usually eat it at night in 1/2 cup almond milk with dark cocoa powder, not sweet since it's all sugar free but it cures that 'need' for something late. You could add splenda to it to sweeten it up.
zagnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #153
Senior LCF Member

sounds good zagnut! Thanks!

So, on lunch break I had to run to the mall because I spilled coffee on my white shirt and pants today, luckily I have a sweater, but still felt crappy, so wanted to get something to replace the shirt at least. I went into NY & Co. and drumroll please......bought size L shirt and ..........size 12 pants FIT! This is incentive to keep up everything I am doing! I haven't been a size 12 in that store in a very long time! Haven't weighed in a very long time either, maybe I've lost a few lbs or just inches---whatever, I like it! I get weighed this Thursday at my nutritionist/nurse practitioner appointment, so we will see. If it's just inches, I'm fine with that!
I would like to post a new avatar too, maybe I'll do that later......
Have a great day everyone. I'm hitting the gym after work today too!

In the end, all you need is kindness. ~Jewel
Old 01-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #154
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Woohooo!!!! Congratulations on size 12 pants!

Inches lost are way more important than pounds lost, IMO. Maybe the scale hasn't moved much because you are building heavier muscles with your excellent exercise program.

Way to go, Lindsay! I look forward to seeing your new avatar, too.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #155
Senior LCF Member

Thanks SVEN! you rock too! Your stats keep dropping!!! It's definitely motivating when your pants size goes down in a certain brand or store!!! Went to the gym after work, ate chicken and veggies and just had a bit of cream cheese to get me ready for bed. I usually need something in my stomach before I snooze!
Old 01-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #156
Senior LCF Member

Ok, my new picture is of me and hubby from Christmas!!! Once I lose a little more I'm going to have to show before and after. My face is so much thinner than it used to be!
Old 01-09-2013, 05:56 AM   #157
Major LCF Poster!

Love your new avi, Lindsay! What a sweet picture! And what lovely bone structure is showing in your face--I'm jealous but happy for you.

I did a 300 calorie egg-based down day yesterday, took a day off from exercising, drank extra water, and--hurrah-- had a whoosh this morning, bringing me down to 179 pounds! If/when I lose another 10 pounds, I'll no longer be obese! I'm going to consider getting to that non-obese 169 pounds my birthday present to myself. I probably won't get there quite in time for my late February birthday, but I'll get there.

I took my measurements today, too, and I'm down an inch in my hips and breasts and down half an inch in my waist, compared to what I was when 8 pounds heavier.

I'm psyched! Now, off to work out with 72-year-old Jane Fonda!
Old 01-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #158
Senior LCF Member

WOAH----YOU ROCK THE 70'S SVEN! That is so awesome! Congrats.

I realized at the gym yesterday that the lighting....well....stinks. It makes you look terrible! LOL It's like those dressing room lights too, you know!?

Anyway, It seems like I have a renewed feeling about my weight loss journey. I guess that's a good thing!

Daily Mantra: Eat with good intention.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #159
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
I'm SO EXCITED for you Lindsay and Sven on your successes!! I love reading good news.

I got up to 9 minutes on the elliptical, 9 minutes on the bike, and 8 minutes on the treadmill yesterday. Whoo hoo!! I also do my stretches and weight machines for my legs. I can't believe I did that much. My goal for now is to get to 10 minutes on each machine. I think I will be able to do it by the end of next week if I keep it up.

I made a FABULOUS quiche today, and I can't wait to eat it for breakfast tomorrow. I bought a bunch of kale on sale and had to find something to do with it. I have made sauteed kale with garlic and the quiche. I have enough to saute one more batch before it's gone. I think I could eat it every day it's so good

One more piece of info before I check out: I was down .4lbs this morning. I'm REALLY happy with that because I read the nutritional label wrong on some cashews a couple of days ago and ended up eating way more carbs and protein than intended. I figured I had blown it for any weight loss for a few more days. That's all. I hope everybody has a good day.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #160
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4myfuture View Post
WOAH----YOU ROCK THE 70'S SVEN! That is so awesome! Congrats.

I realized at the gym yesterday that the lighting....well....stinks. It makes you look terrible! LOL It's like those dressing room lights too, you know!?

Anyway, It seems like I have a renewed feeling about my weight loss journey. I guess that's a good thing!

Daily Mantra: Eat with good intention.
LOL, I can understand why they might put bad lighting in a gym, to make people feel like they have to keep working out endlessly because they never "look good" there. But in dressing rooms, shouldn't they want you to look great in the clothes they sell, instead of looking horrific in everything?

Good for you for your renewed intentions, Lindsay. Whenever I read one of your posts, I feel positive and optimistic, because they just radiate those great qualities. And love the daily mantras, too! I know you'll be joining me in the 70s soon.

Last edited by svenskamae; 01-09-2013 at 02:37 PM..
Old 01-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #161
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
I'm SO EXCITED for you Lindsay and Sven on your successes!! I love reading good news.

I got up to 9 minutes on the elliptical, 9 minutes on the bike, and 8 minutes on the treadmill yesterday. Whoo hoo!! I also do my stretches and weight machines for my legs. I can't believe I did that much. My goal for now is to get to 10 minutes on each machine. I think I will be able to do it by the end of next week if I keep it up.

I made a FABULOUS quiche today, and I can't wait to eat it for breakfast tomorrow. I bought a bunch of kale on sale and had to find something to do with it. I have made sauteed kale with garlic and the quiche. I have enough to saute one more batch before it's gone. I think I could eat it every day it's so good

One more piece of info before I check out: I was down .4lbs this morning. I'm REALLY happy with that because I read the nutritional label wrong on some cashews a couple of days ago and ended up eating way more carbs and protein than intended. I figured I had blown it for any weight loss for a few more days. That's all. I hope everybody has a good day.
Thanks, cfine! I think you are doing great with your exercise routine! It's wonderful that you are staying with it and building up to more and more time, sensibly. I hope that it is making you feel good and that you are proud of yourself, as you should be! And hurrah for being down .4 pounds despite the cashew mishap!

I love crustless quiches but haven't made one with kale yet; I should try that. Kale is supposed to be nutritionally wonderful, higher in vitamins and minerals than most other vegetables. Sometimes I saute kale with bacon and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and have that as a light meal.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:38 AM   #162
Senior LCF Member

Yes, the lighting thing is so weird! I have my bathroom lights at the perfect subtle glow! I have to start the day off on a positive step, you know? No blaring flourescent lights for me--they also give me migraines btw.

cfine---you are doing great with the workouts, I plan to workout tomorrow. Tuesday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, those are the days that seem to be working well for me!

On a side note, I noticed in another thread that some people aren't fond of doctors and nutritionists these days (probably because of the carb issue), but I have to say that my nutritionist has given me some great tips and one was about exercise and she has been very supportive of me eating the way I do.

All exercise is good, but I just wanted to note something that she told me that has proven to work for me, I know everyone is different, but here is goes......

After 30 minutes of working out, you begin to burn stored fat. 3 workout days a week is maintenance, every day after that is for weightloss. I find that if I work out 4 days a week over the 30 minute mark, I lose inches and/or lbs.

Just something to think about.

KALE SOUNDS SO GOOD TO ME. I may have to pick some up later.

I wore my size 12 DRESS pants today. THERE IS NO GOING BACK. MY 14'S REALLY DO LOOK LOOSE. It's funny though, not sure I can rock the 12 jeans yet. My 14's get loose as the day goes on, but at first not so much. LOL

What do you think? Jeans and dress pants different for you too?

Daily Mantra: I am a success.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:07 PM   #163
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Lindsay! I'm glad that you found a nutritionist who is supportive and open to low carb, and informed about exercise. I think that a lot of people are particularly turned off by many nutritionists' embrace of a high carb diet for people who are diabetic, which is just disastrous. But just as some doctors are supportive of low carb, so are some nutritionists, and I'm glad you found one of them.

On the fat burning after 30 minutes--Maria Emmerich (sp?) in "Secrets of a Healthy Metabolism" says to work out on an empty stomach (or with just water) when you first wake up, so you burn fat instead of glucose. Jane Fonda says in her "Walk Out" tape that one initially burns glucose and only fat after that is used up (but says, "You're burning fat now!" before 30 minutes are up.) Anyway, they are all saying more or less the same thing as your nutritionist; my guess is that the 30 minutes is an estimate that would vary by person, how hard the workout is, etc., but it's probably a pretty good estimate.

CONGRATULATIONS on those size 12 dress pants!!! I wear yoga-style black pants to work, and they are forgiving of my apple tummy (and fit my relatively smaller hips). I have to avoid any pants with zippers until I get smaller. My hips are one size, my breasts are a size bigger than that, and my waist is the next size after that, so I wear loose clothing with some stretch in the pants or top of the skirt.

You ARE a major success!!!!!
Old 01-11-2013, 07:31 AM   #164
Senior LCF Member

Thanks SVEN for all the encouragement. I hope to see a picture of you soon, so I can put a face to all the wonderful posts.

Went to nutritionist----down a pound on her scale!!! THANK GOODNESS. I'VE BEEN STALLED OR EVEN UP A POUND FOR ABOUT 2 MONTHS! She said how wonderful I looked yesterday, which made me feel good. 185 is my official weight on her scale, so......my very attainable goal is...... to lose 6 lbs on her scale. I'm going to work really hard on this, I think if I put my mind to it I can do this in 5 weeks.

Some tweaks on my diet: watch the sauces and dressings for hidden sugars, chocolate: just the good dark stuff once in a while, more green veggies, look up some new lc recipes

Workouts---keep up the 4 times a week, add in more when I can.

My Daily Mantra: Visualize the goal.

Have a wonderful day everyone! IT'S FRIDAY!
Old 01-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #165
Major LCF Poster!

Congratulations on that downward movement on the nutritionist's scale, Lindsay! I'm sure that you have been gaining muscle, with all of your exercise, and that is going to keep the scale from moving, even if you have been losing fat. Do you take measurements? Can you ask your nutritionist about getting your body fat percentage measured? The scales aren't accurate, but the water or air displacement methods are (dexascam and bodpod seem to be the names that stick in my head).

I'm hoping to get into the non-obese category by summer--just 10 pounds to go!--and when that happens, I'll ask a friend to take a picture of me and post in the progress pictures thread. I have a picture taken when I was at a conference in Dublin, at my highest weight, so those will be my two contrasting pictures. And I hope sometime in 2013 or early 2014 to post another progress picture of me at goal.

I've been reading (actually listening to an audiobook) on how habits work, in terms of wiring in the brain and how that can be changed. If I learn anything hopeful or useful for those of us trying to adopt better habits (exercising, eating lc and healthy food), I'll post the information.

I've come to believe that the salad dressings I make at home from healthy oils (olive, avocado, walnut, sesame) and other ingredients (lemon juice, tahini, balsamic or red wine vinegar, ginger, or rice vinegar) are much more delicious than the bottled stuff. And salad dressing is so easy to "cook"! Measure ingredients into screwtop jar, put on jar lid, and shake well. Voila! I'll try to remember to post a few of my favorite homemade dressing recipes.

Have a happy Friday and a wonderful weekend.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #166
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

@Lindsay. Thanks for the education on working out. I had never heard that. It gives me more motivation to hit the gym more than three times per week. And about the kale, all I can say about that, ladies, is YUMMO! I can't get enough of this stuff. I love it when I find a new, low carb veggie that is tasty. It's delicious in the quiche I made or just by itself with some garlic. I tried eating it raw a couple of times and never thought I would be a fan of kale. I am completely sold on it now! Go buy some kale

I have to share my success at the gym yesterday. I made it to my first goal of 10 minutes on each piece of equipment. I did it!! I can't believe it!! I did a total of 30 minutes of cardio which is a big deal for me. I would love to be up to 60 minutes by the end of the year. You guys inspired me to push through to get there. I just kept thinking "if I do the whole thing, I get to go tell my friends on LCF!" Sounds lame, but it worked for me.

I got invited to go on a last minute trip with my best friend this weekend so I'm going to just try to stick with an Atkin's type meal plan instead of the stricter NK. I'm so excited to be going. We haven't been on a trip together since we were nineteen, and we are now forty-one so it's been a while. See you ladies on the other side of the weekend. Have a good one.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #167
Senior LCF Member

At gym right now! Lol
Old 01-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #168
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
@Lindsay. Thanks for the education on working out. I had never heard that. It gives me more motivation to hit the gym more than three times per week. And about the kale, all I can say about that, ladies, is YUMMO! I can't get enough of this stuff. I love it when I find a new, low carb veggie that is tasty. It's delicious in the quiche I made or just by itself with some garlic. I tried eating it raw a couple of times and never thought I would be a fan of kale. I am completely sold on it now! Go buy some kale

I have to share my success at the gym yesterday. I made it to my first goal of 10 minutes on each piece of equipment. I did it!! I can't believe it!! I did a total of 30 minutes of cardio which is a big deal for me. I would love to be up to 60 minutes by the end of the year. You guys inspired me to push through to get there. I just kept thinking "if I do the whole thing, I get to go tell my friends on LCF!" Sounds lame, but it worked for me.

I got invited to go on a last minute trip with my best friend this weekend so I'm going to just try to stick with an Atkin's type meal plan instead of the stricter NK. I'm so excited to be going. We haven't been on a trip together since we were nineteen, and we are now forty-one so it's been a while. See you ladies on the other side of the weekend. Have a good one.
Oh, cfine, I am so proud of you!!!! You are doing just great in your workouts--so much progress and persistence. I am sitting here with a big grin on my face, all excited to tell you how happy I am for you! Thank you for sharing your victory with us.

I have a recipe for kale made with coconut milk and spices that is yummy. I'll try to remember to post it here. Have you tried chard? That's another great veggie full of vitamins, and it's even pretty (coming in ruby, golden, and rainbow colors).

Have a wonderful time on the trip with your friend!

Last edited by svenskamae; 01-11-2013 at 01:00 PM..
Old 01-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #169
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Adoug4ho
Stats: 222/198/175?
Start Date: October 29, 2012; restart 1/14/13 (carb creep!)
Frustrated

Ugh! I'm frustrated with the scale. I was down on Sunday and Monday, then went to a hardcore Circuit Burn class Tuesday night. Since then the scale has gone up. Arg! Clothes are still fitting fine, but I'm weighed down (irony) by the numbers ;(
Adoug4ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #170
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoug4ho View Post
Ugh! I'm frustrated with the scale. I was down on Sunday and Monday, then went to a hardcore Circuit Burn class Tuesday night. Since then the scale has gone up. Arg! Clothes are still fitting fine, but I'm weighed down (irony) by the numbers ;(
It's water weight, I'm sure, because your hardcore exercise session has resulted in sore muscles hanging onto water to heal.

If this is really bothering you, take a few days without heavy exercise, where you drink tons of water and get extra sleep and continue to eat on plan. I'd bet money that the scale would move down for you pretty soon. Or go by your clothes and measurements instead of the scale for a while.

Don't give up!
Old 01-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #171
Senior LCF Member

We will not give up even when the scale is being annoying!!!! The scale bugs me out sometimes!! Workouts are so important and we always feel better afterwards. Had a really good workout at the gym today btw...63 minutes of sweating! Not going to eat anything after dinner tonight and I'm looking forward to the weekend.

Ready, all hands in......LOOOOOOOOOOOOW CAARRRRRRBB!!!! (Hands go up!) Team spirit on the internet!!! ha!
Old 01-11-2013, 05:23 PM   #172
Senior LCF Member

Definitely not giving up. Working out or low carbing I like both too much!

I rested Wednesday, but then had to move again to keep from getting too stiff from soreness. Did a 3 mile run Thursday pm and doing a 5k tomorrow. Taking Sunday off! And hoping to be unsore by then. Lol.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #173
Major LCF Poster!

How is everyone doing? I did the Jane Fonda Prime Time yoga workout DVD (which has a segment with hand weights done in yoga postures) for the first time this morning and am feeling good that I made it through the whole thing, even though my arm and should muscles are a bit sore now.

How did your 5k go, Adoug4ho?

Lindsay, I'll bet your students have a lot of fun with you as their teacher. Your enthusiasm is so infectious, I feel good whenever I read a post from you.

Tuesday will be my 1 year anniversary of starting to eat lowcarb, and I feel so much better than I did 1 year ago (and weigh 56 pounds less)! Maybe I'll see if my best friend will go out to lunch to Fogo de Chao (Brazilian steakhouse with great lowcarb buffet) for lunch next weekend, or set up a massage appointment for myself (or both!) to celebrate.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #174
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Oh, cfine, I am so proud of you!!!! You are doing just great in your workouts--so much progress and persistence. I am sitting here with a big grin on my face, all excited to tell you how happy I am for you! Thank you for sharing your victory with us.

I have a recipe for kale made with coconut milk and spices that is yummy. I'll try to remember to post it here. Have you tried chard? That's another great veggie full of vitamins, and it's even pretty (coming in ruby, golden, and rainbow colors).

Have a wonderful time on the trip with your friend!
I am back and feeling much more relaxed. We have a wonderful time. I ate like crap, drank too much(I don't usually drink at all actually) and had an overall great time. We have decided to do it again next January. After we got back in town I talked my friend into going to exercise with me. I ended up doing 35 minutes of cardio and more weights than I usually do. Having a buddy makes all of the difference. I am so proud of her for going, and I think she might start doing Atkins.

Sven-you should definitely do both treats. You deserve it!! What a wonderful accomplishment! You are truly an inspiration.

Now I must get back to reality and go and get things ready for tomorrow. Peace out!
Old 01-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #175
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, cfine. I'm so glad you had such a good time with your friend. And woohoo for you on doing still more exercise with your friend! I'm sure that your example and impressive losses have made her much more likely to start Atkins and work out.

Here's the spicy kale recipe for you (with coconut milk, so your daughter can eat it, too):

Creamy and Spicy Greens
Large bunch or two (or bag) of greens, such as kale or chard
1/2 cup or more full-fat coconut milk
2 garlic cloves, minced
1-2 t. Ras el Hanout spice blend (recipe follows)
2 T. raisins (optional, or add more if you like)
Salt to taste

Wash greens. Remove tough ribs and chop leaves; don't dry. Heat large skillet or Dutch over and put in half of greens. Stir until greens wilt, then add the rest and cover the pan. When leaves are dark green and wilted, remove lid and let water evaporate. Add around 1/2 cup coconut milk, stir, then add 1-2 t. Ras el Hanout spice blend, garlic, raisins, and salt. Saute until sauce thickens, adding more coconut milk if you like.

Ras El Hanout spice blend
2 t. salt
2 heaping t. cumin
2 level t. ground ginger
2 scant t. ground black pepper
1 1/2 t. cinnamon
1 t. coriander
1 t. cayenne
1 t. ground allspice
1/2 t. ground cloves
1/4 t. nutmeg
Blend spices and store in screwtop jar, tightly covered. Lasts a long time.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:19 PM   #176
Senior LCF Member

Good evening fellow health gurus!!!! I am so happy today. I did 65 minutes at the gym and had a good eating day. Not eating anything tonight. I can do this. OH!!!!! I finally did it. Bagged up my "fat" clothes. All 18's 16's and really loose14's!!!! No going back now!!
Evening mantra: let go of heavy burdens
Old 01-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #177
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4myfuture View Post
Good evening fellow health gurus!!!! I am so happy today. I did 65 minutes at the gym and had a good eating day. Not eating anything tonight. I can do this. OH!!!!! I finally did it. Bagged up my "fat" clothes. All 18's 16's and really loose14's!!!! No going back now!!
Evening mantra: let go of heavy burdens
That is a brave and excellent move, Lindsay! I have put my plus size clothes in plastic bins in my basement. The next step is to give them away to the Salvation Army--I think I'll feel brave enough to do that when I'm solidly in size "Medium" rather than "Large."
Old 01-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #178
Senior LCF Member

The 5k went great! My new addition to the race a month goal is to work on improving my time. The rest of the weekend went down hill though. I had an apple post-race and it totally threw me off plan! An apple :/
Old 01-13-2013, 08:03 PM   #179
Major LCF Poster!

Congratulations on the your great 5k race! As to the post-race apple throwing you off plan--I can relate. A cup of fresh cherries once made me feel awful, yet crave carbs like crazy afterwards. Next time, try combining the fruit with fat (say, apple slices dipped in almond butter) to blunt the effect of the sugar rush from fruit.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:34 AM   #180
Senior LCF Member

Sadly I did do that Had some all natural PB and cheese. Interesting lesson.