Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 10:11 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sfmom
Stats: 176/112.0/135 5'8" tall
WOE: Low carb
Hi Lindsay - right now I can't say that there is any food that I really want to add back in that I just can't live without. I survived no sweet and sour shrimp for my birthday and I thought that was going to be tough because it was my favorite but I was more worried about a carb hangover ruining the next day than I was craving the Chinese LOL

Things that I could without forever to add to your list bread, rice, pizza, little debbie anything, potato chips, cheetos, doritos, fritos and so on
sfmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mrs S
WOE: LCHF Vegetarian + Eat Stop Eat
Start Date: 8.13.12
The 'illegal' foods that I sometimes have a planned blow it meal/snack on are french fries and potato chips. I play trivia tuesday nights at a bar that has AMAZING handmade kettle chips and house made buttermilk ranch dressing. Once every month or so, I'll fast all day and splurge on a Stella Artois and split an order of the chips with my husband. I know it's not the healthiest way to break a fast but it's soooooo good. I don't know if it's the fasting beforehand or what but I never feel crappy the next day like I do if I have bread, pasta or cake.
Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:58 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I want to keep eating very clean/primal when I get to goal, and I don't plan to ever eat wheat/grains or sweeteners again, unless absolutely unavoidable in a social situation. I don't really miss them, since I feel so much better eating this way and can taste the natural sweetness in veggies and dairy now. But I would like to try cautiously and occasionally re-introducing a wider range of fruit and some starchier veggies (such as yams, beets, and carrots) when I get to my goal weight. I'll try them out maybe once a month and see if I can still maintain that way, especially if I continue to do JUDDD for maintenance.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:39 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Sven - I was really wanting to try acorn squash because I really missed it and knew I could added it back in without a problem on maintenance. It just wasn't the same with the butter and artificial brown sugar compared to real brown sugar and butter. I was severely disappointed and ended up throwing most of it out It will be interesting to see if you experience that with any of the starchier foods when you add them back in.

Audrey
Old 12-01-2012, 07:06 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Yikes. Yesterday was an insane end to a chaotic, exhausting week. We went out last night with friends and I decided to have an unplanned splurge- a margarita, with my dinner, which started off on plan. That led to a tipsy me diving head first into a basket of tortilla chips. That's very unlike me these days. Stress and a margarita does bad things to my judgement. +3 lbs this morning. Bummer.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:16 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 4myfuture
Stats: 216/186/166
WOE: healthy lower carb meals - no snacking
Had a great kickboxing workout yesterday, my arms are feeling it today! I'm feeling good about my eating, being very mindful about what I put in my mouth.

I'm excited for the holidays approaching, I've been putting up decorations slowly but surely!
4myfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zagnut
Stats: 143/119/118
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: 5/24/12-LC 12/1/12-LC JUDDD
I'm excited about the holidays too Lindsay! I love decorating but I can't put up a tree this year I don't think, we have a new kitten and I'm preeettttyyy sure she would have it knocked over in the first 2 minutes LOL She's like velcro to things that are vertical!

I started JUDD on Saturday, going very well so far, hope to see some progress with it and finally get the rest of weight off. If not, I think I may stick with it anyway if it continues to make me feel energetic and not worry so much about what to eat every other day. Still sticking to LC, that will never change! but will start adding some more fruit in and maybe sweet potatoes and some higher carb squash every now and then.

Hope everyone has a great week!
zagnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

I'm sure those 3 pounds are mostly water weight, Mrs S, and they will surely go away quickly if you can get back on plan.

Zagnut, I hope you keep posting on your JUDDD progress. It seems that most people have trouble keeping their down days super low at the start, but it gets lots easier to have low down days after a few weeks. Don't worry if your DD calories go over 500 at the start. I'm taking a supplement called resvertatrol, made from the skins of red grapes, which is supposed to activat the same gene as JUDDD, and I think that's helping me, too. I was at 185 a couple of days ago, so I've gotten to the 50 pounds lost mini goal on JUDDD.

I had dinner with firiends at a Malaysian restaurant and had a spicy fish curry. To cool off my mouth at the end of dinner, I had one forkful of rice at the end of dinner and found it completely tasteless, so I have no desire to add rice back into my diet at any time. We'll see how I feel about other things like yams and squash when I get to maintenance; maybe like Audrey I'll find them also not worth eating, after all.

Lindsay, congratulations on your kickboxing and staying on plan. Your diverse exercise plan should inspire all of us. I'm thinking about trying resistence training at a studio near me, which says you use machines for 15 minutes per session, a couple of times a week. I have to check out the price, but it is within walking distance of me, and I can't say that I don't have time for that.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

It's been very quiet around here; I hope others post again soon.

Today I was able to wear a size 14 Land's End tailored blouse--woo hoo! I still can't get into some "large" clothing for brands that tend to run tiny, like J. Crew, but it's great to be wearing a size 14 anything again. I'm hoping to get into the "medium" sizes sometime this spring/summer, and to be able to wear by "small" clothes by the end of 2013.

Tomorrow my workplace is having a pizza party, since we had the largest percentage of staff contributing to the University Community Fund drive, within our college. I have to decide whether to 1) go and eat salad and just the topping off a slice of pizza; 2) go and eat just salad; 3) skip it entirely. What do others here do when faced with a pizza meal? It's a up day on JUDDD for me, but I want to stay lowcarb, as always.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Sven, a big congrats on your 50 pound loss!! Huge achievement!! I know you will be in those Med/Sm clothes in no time!
I'm assuming everyone is busy with the holidays and parties and shopping. It's a hectic month already and has just begun.
I've been faced with pizza a few times on LC, not a DD yet though, but it was always out at the restaurant, so I was able to order wings or chef salad etc. Pizza is my weakness and if I was faced with it somewhere with no other choice, I'd probably not go if I didn't have to.
But if they will have salad, as long as there was blue cheese, that's what I'd eat, I'd skip eating the toppings off the pizza cuz I wouldn't want to be looked at weird! LOL
Good luck and have fun if you go!
Old 12-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Sven - congrats on getting into the size 14 WOO HOO - you will be in mediums in no time girl!!!

For the pizza party I would either go and have some salad and the topping off a slice of pizza if they had one with toppings I liked on it, if not I would just have the salad. The most important part is socializing with other people not the food

Audrey
Old 12-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

I'm happy to report that I finally dropped my unplanned splurge weight and then another pound! Thank goodness. I had started getting slack about tracking my food intake and this week I got back to my food diary. It's so easy to guesstimate incorrectly.

I love pizza! If faced with pizza out and I have notice, I'll fast all day and have a giant salad and one slice. Then the next day I'll make myself a crustless pizza ala Linda Sue's site. Next I'm going to try her cauliflower crust.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:45 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the congratulations, Zagnut and Audrey! And congratulations to you on the recent weightloss, Mrs. S.

I'll see how it goes at the free pizza event; I'm likely to eat salad and bring in my own salad dressing, since nearly everything sold commercially has unhealthy sorts of vegetable oils.

I just posted to a "New Year's Resolutions" thread on the main board, and I thought that might be a good thing for us all to start thinking about. My resolutions had to do with exercise (starting resistence training, doing a toning DVD once/week or more, continuing to walk to and from work even in cold/icy weather, learning to swim in the fall) and my WOE (continuing to do primal/JUDDD/LCHF and trying out new LCHF recipes). What are your resolutions going to be?

I'm having an awesomely easy down day on JUDDD, just coffee with half and half, some tomato juice, and 1 boiled egg so far--and it's about 4 pm and I feel great. I never would have believed that JUDDD down days could have gotten as easy as this.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stepinthyme
Stats: 289/???/190 - 5'-8"
WOE: Low Carb/Counting Calories
Start Date: Restart January 2014
Hi Everyone!

I had meant to check in on Monday but things got a bit crazy...However, I'm very happy to report I'm 3.4 pounds closer to the 20 pound goal. I'm very pleased with my results so far.

If I were to make an early New Year's Resolution, it would simply be to continue with my current plan. And when life happens, I will focus on maintenance until the life "crisis" is over, rather than to throw in the towel and allow my emotional binging to take over...

I hope everyone else in this challenge is doing well with their plans--I don't often post on LCF, but I do check it almost every day and very much look forward to reading what other folks have to say...
Old 12-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Hey everyone. Yoga last night was great. It makes me aware of my body in a positive way rather than...a size or a number. It makes me think of my bones and muscles and the workings of your body, how it allows me to do the things I want to do in life---it's interesting. I always leave Yoga feeling more open (physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually) It's so, well......cool.

Last night our daily reading was about Living life less calculated. Letting the universe do it's thing I guess. We have control over very few things in our lives.

One thing we are all doing on here is controlling our food, one thing we can control. We should feel empowered by that. Food is one thing we can get control over.

I usually plan my pizza encounterings, because I do like to have one slice with salad once in a blue moon. I don't eat the crust, but sometimes eat the bottom. Or I just eat the toppings in a bowl with ricotta cheese---when I'm out, if there is nothing else, just one slice, no crust and lots of salad.

Have a great day everyone.

In the end, all you need is kindness. ~Jewel
Old 12-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

I'm really impressed with the variety and amount of exercise you do, Lindsay. I keep making resolutions to start exercise routines (resistence and/or toning) because I keep not using any of the exercise DVDs I own. Good thing I don't drive and have to walk to work and for errands, or I'd never get any exercise. I really need to work on doing better on other types of exercise. Fortunately, as I get smaller--down another pound today!--I feel more comfortable using my body for something other than sitting at a computer working or walking.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/231/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
subscribing
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

, Key Tones. I think you will like it here. There are very supportive people on this thread, following a variety of plans to lose or maintain. Many of us have been together through 2 previous challenges, and we're facing things in manageable 3-month increments.

I just went through a free pizza luncheon at work and had a couple of plates of salad with blue cheese and Caesar dressing. Nobody cared about what I was or wasn't eating, I had a good conversation with colleagues I like, and I feel good! Thanks for the support and advice of people in this group in advance of the event.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/231/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
, Key Tones. I think you will like it here. There are very supportive people on this thread, following a variety of plans to lose or maintain. Many of us have been together through 2 previous challenges, and we're facing things in manageable 3-month increments.

I just went through a free pizza luncheon at work and had a couple of plates of salad with blue cheese and Caesar dressing. Nobody cared about what I was or wasn't eating, I had a good conversation with colleagues I like, and I feel good! Thanks for the support and advice of people in this group in advance of the event.
Thank you! I realize I am needing more support. I used to go to the daily weigher thread but I just can't weigh everyday right now.
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:10 PM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Thank you! I realize I am needing more support. I used to go to the daily weigher thread but I just can't weigh everyday right now.
Good for you for taking care of yourself by finding more support and avoiding daily weighing now. I went for several months just judging weight loss by my clothes, and now I try to keep weighing down to once a week or so. It's just not worth it to get upset by passing fluctuations on the scale.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

SVEN--awesome on the salad and no pizza! Bet that feels good.

I had chicken and salad for dinner tonight. Did some decorating and
want to veg out tonight!!

A new low carb day starts tomorrow!
Old 12-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome Key tones - we are glad to have you as part of our group!!

Sven - great job on just having salad at the pizza party and on your 1lb loss, you just keep melting away

Lindsay - I am with Sven in being in awe of your exercise habits, I really need to get my you know what in gear. I bought the Jillian 30 day shred dvd and it's still in its wrapper. I start my vacation tomorrow and don't go back to work until Jan 2nd so I am hoping to have some "alone" time to try it out.

Audrey

Last edited by sfmom; 12-06-2012 at 05:59 PM..
Old 12-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Audrey, I've gotten the starter Jillian shred DVD, too, and mine is also still in its wrapper.

Keep us updated on your progress in getting into an exercise groove, and have a lovely time on your vacation.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:03 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Thanks gals, When I started lowcarbing last December, I added the workouts in January and it seems to be a good balance. I really don't kill myself with workouts, but I try to stay consistent. I probably should be working out a whole lot more, but I feel if you find something you like it has lots of health and non health benefits. Working out just compliments your healthy eating style.

So today I'm wearing a pair of jeans and a little sweater that I haven't worn in 5 years...oh I'm so excited about it. Makes me want to eat really good today!

Everyone have a great day. I'm so happy it's Friday!
Old 12-07-2012, 07:12 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Welcome Keytones! You have amazing weightloss so far, you've come a long way! I hope you enjoy hanging out with us and keep checking in

Lindsay, I'm also in AWE of your exercising! Yoga has always intrigued me, I've been meaning to get a DVD or something to get started, but workouts of any kind have always been my weakness, meaning I just can't stick with anything! lol
And flaunt that cute little outfit today! You deserve it!

Sven, I'm LOVING JUDDD...I don't know why it took me so long to start it! I guess I was scared I would feel restricted, it's actually the opposite. My DD have been pretty effortless so far, today is only my 4th one, but I actually look forward to them.
I may have an easier time adjusting because I used to get up at 4am and go until about 2pm without eating anything, not for a diet, just because of the hectic work schedule I had. That was years ago, but maybe my body remembers it lol. (by the way I never lost weight back then either doing that, you really need those up days I guess!)
Old 12-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Congratulations on fitting into those jeans and sweater, Lindsay! Isn't it great to "shrink" back into our old nice clothes. I've been dressing better for work because I can wear a lot of my professional clothes that I had "outgrown" when I gained weight over the past 5-7 years.

I'm so glad that you are doing so well on JUDDD, zagnut! I was scared to start it, too, afraid that I would be distracted and miserable dut to hunger half the time, but it quickly got very easy for me. I think getting my body used to fat burning under nutritional ketosis helped me; I did have plenty of miserably hungry days as I got used to eating less protein for LCHF. Do you find that you feel in a good mood and have more energy on JUDDD, lots of the time? That's true for me. I find myself happily humming as I walk to and from work and do household chores--and that was NOT my old normal.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

I just wrote a bunch of trivia questions for the trivia contest at my workplace's holiday party next week and signed up to bring deviled eggs and dip plus raw veggies to the party. Thank goodness the food theme this year is appetizers as well as sweets; in recent years, it's been "pie contests," and the dieters/lowcarbers/gluten avoiders/paleo eaters/lowsugar diabetics had nothing to eat unless they brought a salad or similar alternative food.

What food challenges do you have coming up in your workplace or other social settings around the holidays this year, and how do you plan to cope with them?
Old 12-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

I am definitely in a better mood since starting JUDDD! I have more energy on DD than UD actually, which is an odd concept for me to wrap my head around. One reason for the UD issues might be the higher carb counts on some of those days so far. They happened to fall on events where I ate things I wouldn't normally eat strictly low carb. They were one time things though, so my UD should be better from here on out since I'm back to LC.

I don't have any upcoming events for Christmas that are scheduled as of now, except the one I'm doing at our house, which I'm making my challenge to be completely low carb I think it will be a fun challenge.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:58 AM   #59
Deb
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Deb
Room for 1 more ?
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:11 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Welcome Deb! We have a room with your name on it! Hope December is going well for you.

Well Sven, since I posted about no upcoming events in December last night, one popped up, lol. It's most likely NOT going to be anything close to low carb, so I'm going to have to think about that one. They will have meat of some kind, probably turkey or a roast, so I'll fill up on that, salad and hoping there are veggies with just butter or something on them. If not, I'll do like I did on T-giving and try some of everything, mainly avoiding the bread/wheat/pasta stuff.

Happy Weekend everyone!