Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #271
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dianda
Stats: 145/121/115; 5'3''
Start Date: November 2012
I'll join the challenge. Only one week left but I'd be happy to shed 1-2 pounds by St Valentine's Day (I'm starting to date this new super hot guy, that's why shhhh ).
dianda is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #272
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4myfuture View Post
CFINE YAY! It feels good to be determined and you did it...only 10 days..that's awesome! I have to remind myself how the real evil carbs make me feel too.

ADOUG4HO Inches are pure fat loss! wtg!

SVEN ---How are things for you?

Just to report in a little for myself. No wheat since Saturday, feels good. My "induction" is turning into no wheat, root veggies, pasta, rice. Sugar is a different story---I had a rootbeer float with low carb vanilla ice cream (little bit)----so good.

Today I'm starting to wonder if I will ever get into the 170's? I really am the type of person who believes in balance. I work out, I am very aware of what I eat now and I work hard at it everyday---and my goal weight on my avi is still considered overweight for my height! FRUSTRATING.

I will not throw in the towel and revert back to eating crap, but I'm not willing to restrict my diet to the bare minimum. I need balance and variety or I will just eat the cookies again.
Sometimes I think my hard work should be paying off sooner!

I was feeling thinner than ever the other day, scale read 185-----wth?

I'm wearing a size L fitted T from Old Navy and it looks nice, still 185.

Looking better overall for sure, but will my back fat ever disappear? LOL

My friend eats very healthy, not low carb per say, b/c I see her eat lots of whole grain foods, I even see her eat cookies (homemade of course). SHE IS A STICK FIGURE.
But she is a runner, miles and miles and miles, marathons too.

That is not me. Not a runner, used to run in college, but not for me now.

Ok, what an interesting post. Sorry if got to be too much of a ramble for y'all.

So, in conclusion.... I eat well, exercise, dress better, don't run.......maybe I should drink more water? LOL

Talk to you all later. Have a LOW CARB, BIG SMILE Day!!!!! You guys are awesome!

Lindsay
Hi, Lindsay. It sounds like your body has a set point in the 180s, and it can be very hard to get past a set point. Sometimes you just have to keep doing the right things for a long time, and eventually one's body is willing to move down to a smaller size/weight. Good for you for ditching the wheat, rice, and root veggies for a while and keeping the sugar as low as you can.

Given how stubborn the scale is being, can you focus on things that might change more? Do you take measurements and compare those every month or so? Given how much you work out, I'll bet you are making some progress there. (I have to go by infrequent--such as monthly--measurements, because I don't have confidence about putting the tape measure in the same spot every time or holding it to the same tightness.)

How about measuring percent body fat? Can you do that in a relatively reliable way (trained person with calipers, Bodpod or Dexascan at gym) every 6 months or so? (The scales that supposedly measure percent fat aren't very reliable.) I'm sure you are making progress, but it just isn't showing up in pounds.

Or maybe set a dress size goal, rather than a pounds goal?

If you are going by BMI, remember that it isn't a good guide for people who work out enough to have lots of muscle; Tom Cruise is "obese" according to his BMI, but he probably has a tiny percentage of body fat.

I am doing well, though a bit hungry on my JUDDD down day today. I was doing a low calorie day yesterday and then realized it was the day that a friend was taking me to a jazz club for dinner and a Judy Collins concert (as an early birthday present), so it ended up being an up day. I enjoyed the concert and dinner (duck, broccoli rabe) and ordered dessert for the first time in over a year--very intense chocolate cake with ganache and a little scoop of cranberry granita. Very good, but I think I'm fine with skipping cake again for another year or so.

Last edited by svenskamae; 02-06-2013 at 10:47 AM..
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #273
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianda View Post
I'll join the challenge. Only one week left but I'd be happy to shed 1-2 pounds by St Valentine's Day (I'm starting to date this new super hot guy, that's why shhhh ).
Dianda! Thanks for joining us. My friends who travel in Europe always say that the very best food that they eat is in Italy; I hope you are able to find and enjoy some lowcarb items and not missing the carby food like pasta too much now. Congratulations on dating the hot new guy; I hope that he's as nice as he is cute.

After Valentine's Day, we'll be continuing on as "Marvelous by Memorial Day," and I hope everyone will stay with us.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #274
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 4myfuture
Stats: 216/186/166
WOE: healthy lower carb meals - no snacking
Thanks cfine, adoug, and sven! You lifted me up and I'm seeing things in a better light today. I'm going to continue what I'm doing and feel good about it, and that's that.

OMG---I think I went through some carb withdrawl last night. I've cut out a bunch of stuff since Saturday, only had the diet rootbeer lc ice cream float in four days.....that was it for sugar..... I was a little nauseous, headache,GRUMPY.... So I had 2 pieces of provolone and cream cheese and went to bed...

I survived it and am ok today. I really think my body reacted last night to not getting it's sugar or wheat again. Makes me feel good in a way because maybe I was eating too high of carb level and not knowing it...

I have a 3 hour meeting after work, food is supplied, we'll see what they bring out and I'll report back later.

In the end, all you need is kindness. ~Jewel
4myfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #275
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
Dianda! Thanks for joining us. My friends who travel in Europe always say that the very best food that they eat is in Italy; I hope you are able to find and enjoy some lowcarb items and not missing the carby food like pasta too much now. Congratulations on dating the hot new guy; I hope that he's as nice as he is cute.

After Valentine's Day, we'll be continuing on as "Marvelous by Memorial Day," and I hope everyone will stay with us.

I'm doing very good now, svenskamae! My hunger is under control and I'm enjoying the stuff I can eat, life is good He also seems super nice btw
Old 02-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #276
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
Hi Dianda. There's nothing quite like a hot man to make you want to lose a few pounds. Glad you are joining us.

Eight more days ladies!! We can do this.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #277
Senior LCF Member

Hi Dianda!

CFINE---8 days!!!!!!!!!!!!! wow, time flies.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #278
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Adoug4ho
Stats: 222/198/175?
Start Date: October 29, 2012; restart 1/14/13 (carb creep!)
Eek 8 days!

Definitely not making my goal of 200, but things are moving so I can handle it. I guess
Adoug4ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #279
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Don't sweat it, Adoug4ho!! I try to think about other things besides the scale, like, how am I feeling overall. The scale is not always a good indicator of what's really going on inside the body.

And, you never know, the whoosh fairy might come for a visit between now and then

If it makes you feel any better, I'm not sure that I'm going to make my goal either. I was up three pounds this morning.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:15 AM   #280
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Seven more days ladies. Let's sprint to the finish line!!

I was not in the market yesterday for a new pair of pants, but I stumbled upon a pair of designer pants(I didn't know Michael Kors made fat pants ) for a really cheap price. Anyway, they were a size smaller than my blue jeans so I thought for sure they wouldn't fit. I decided to try them on, and lo and behold, they fit perfectly!! I then went and bought myself a new blouse to go with them. My husband is taking me out on a date tomorrow night so I can wear my new dudes. Exercising is really paying off!!
Old 02-07-2013, 06:24 AM   #281
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Macc0021
Stats: Pregnant - trying to keep gains at a minimum! :)
WOE: wheat allergy + low carb + pregnant!
Start Date: Every day!
My goal was 123 by Valentine's Day.... EEK! I am so close.... if I really buckle down this week I should be able to do it..... although, I started doing some strength training so the scale is really not moving lately. I FEEL better though, so I will keep at it. I LOVE feeling sore!
Macc0021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:32 AM   #282
Senior LCF Member

GOOD MORNING! My goal was to be out of the 180's. Don't think that is happening unless I get liposuction. LOL

Why is it one can put on 5 lbs in like a day so easily, but it takes 10 weeks to get 5 lbs off working sooooo darn hard at it???????????????????????

How's everyone feeling today? I'm pretty good, tired this morning, but what else is new for me!? ha

Do you guys eat greek yogurt? Dr. Oz the other day said to try eating greek yogurt before each meal. That would get expensive, right?

I like yogurt, but sometimes its hard finding yogurt with flavor that isn't real carby, sugary, and I can't find yogurt with fat!

Last edited by 4myfuture; 02-07-2013 at 07:04 AM..
Old 02-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #283
Major LCF Poster!

Congratulations on the new clothes in the smaller size, cfine! Have fun on your date night!

Good for you for doing the strength training, Macc. If you don't make goal by Valentine's Day, remind yourself that lifting weights is building muscle but also probably causing some water retention.

Lindsay, I eat Greek Gods plain yogurt, especially for breakfast. It's really good with some berries and slivered almonds on top. I make a meal out of the cup of Greek yogurt for breakfast.

If the idea is to ingest probiotics, I think that taking a pro-biotics pill would be more practical than Greek yogurt 3 times a day. I'm also eating a product from the yogurt/dairy case made with coconut and stevia and probiotics, called Cocoyo, and eating a little dish of lacto-fermented veggies on my JUDDD up days. I think that Dr. Oz would do his listeners a better service if he explained the logic--e.g., probiotics are good for you, try to eat some or take some--instead of these "eat this" rules he seems so fond of.

Like you, I seem to be stuck on the scale (now at 178-179) for a while, but I'm just trying to be patient and focusing on being healthy rather than skinny.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #284
Senior LCF Member

Thanks again for the encouragement ladies! I posted this in another thread, but it was such an eye opening experience for me. Tonight I stayed late at work b/c I was hosting a committee meeting for teachers in my district. My boss bought everyone pizza. Let me say, pizza used to be my favorite, NEVER turn down food. Tonight I grabbed two heavily topped pieces. Then I ate just the tops. That's it! The yummy crusty or bottom didn't even appeal to me. Wow! I can't believe how much my desires have changed!

Now I need to kick that sugar beast
Old 02-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #285
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoug4ho View Post
Thanks again for the encouragement ladies! I posted this in another thread, but it was such an eye opening experience for me. Tonight I stayed late at work b/c I was hosting a committee meeting for teachers in my district. My boss bought everyone pizza. Let me say, pizza used to be my favorite, NEVER turn down food. Tonight I grabbed two heavily topped pieces. Then I ate just the tops. That's it! The yummy crusty or bottom didn't even appeal to me. Wow! I can't believe how much my desires have changed!

Now I need to kick that sugar beast
Woohoo, Adoug4ho! Congratulations on skipping that pizza crust! That is definitely a NSV (non-scale victory); it's wonderful that you didn't even really want the bottom crust! After having conquered wheat cravings, I'm sure you can kick the sugar beast too!
Old 02-08-2013, 01:44 AM   #286
Senior LCF Member

Lost two pounds in two days! That's the magic of low carb against water retention for ya! LOL I'm one pound away from my lowest weight ever. I hope to get there by Valentine's Day
Old 02-08-2013, 06:21 AM   #287
Senior LCF Member

Adoug4ho!!!! WTG GIRL! No pizza crust, you rock! That's got to feel really good! Your taste buds don't need all that bread!

I had a hot dog last night with chili, onions, cheese, mustard and ate it with a fork and knife! LOL It was like a chili cheese dog salad. No bun for me.

Hey SVEN---you are right, feeling healthy is way better than just being skinny.

Dianda------WTG on losing two pounds. I would love two pounds of fat gone!

I'm really tired today, not sure if it's the crappy weather and impending winter storm to hit the area, but I could have slept in today! Going to the gym, Friday is one of my days, so got to wake up by 3:30!

Have a great day everyone!
Old 02-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #288
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Sven and 4my I had a cookie today from our box-lunch provided at a meeting. But it hasn't triggered anything else. Small victory, I guess!

Also 4my, that dinner sounds delish! I'm going to make that Coney Island recipe soon.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #289
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I had a hot dog last night with chili, onions, cheese, mustard and ate it with a fork and knife! LOL It was like a chili cheese dog salad. No bun for me.
You have GOT to try Linda's Sue's Coney Island Chili Dog Pie. It's so good!!

Adoug4ho-WTG on the pizza! The topping is the best part anyway. Who needs crust? Not me.

Dianda-WTG on the loss!!

Oh gosh, Lindsay, I hope ya'll will be warm and safe. Let us know how you're doing up there.

I was down to 227.1 this morning. Maybe I WILL make my goal after all. We shall see.

Sven-I don't want to forget you.

Oh Macc I almost forgot-Keep up the good work. Ok, I think I got everybody that time

Last edited by cfine; 02-08-2013 at 07:40 PM..
Old 02-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #290
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amundson
Stats: 285/164/155
WOE: Atkins (w/ Protein Power ideas also)
Start Date: April 2010
I haven't posted at all on this challenge thread, but was just reading a few postings. You are all so very encouraging with each other!! Kudos to you all! Remember, it is an incredible battle to change the shapes of our bodies, and our bodies fight us every step of the way! Today I was up 1 1/2 pounds after I was "good" yesterday, which is discouraging. On days like this, we just need to keep to our plans and forge ahead!! Keep up your positive approaches! It is inspiring to me!
amundson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #291
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Macc0021
Stats: Pregnant - trying to keep gains at a minimum! :)
WOE: wheat allergy + low carb + pregnant!
Start Date: Every day!
I decided to try making greek yogurt this week... it was amazingly simple, and WOW was it ever delicious! All I used was one of the little cups of plain Chobani for the starter (you need 1/2 cup) and then 1/2 gallon of whole milk. I used the crock pot to make it. The only downfall is that the process takes like 12 hours... but it is worth the wait! Then I just scoop out portions, mix in some EZ Sweets, and add some fruit if you want. I added SF Smuckers Raspberry Jam and it was yummy!!

I highly recommend making it homemade... it is cheaper, and it is high fat, low sugar, low carb!!!!

Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground.

In general, mankind, since the improvement of cookery, eats twice as much as nature requires.
Macc0021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #292
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow Macc, that sounds too easy. And yummy!

I ate chips and salsa today. Hopefully I can still make my goal. It was worth it though. We are hardly ever close to this certain mexican restaurant that has the best salsa ever! I wasn't going to pass up the opportunity to eat my favorite salsa. After all, this is my WOE for life, and sometimes a girl needs chips
Old 02-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #293
Senior LCF Member

That yogurt recipe sounds good!

I think that an occasional cheat is okay It's a lifestyle, not a diet!!!
Old 02-09-2013, 06:26 PM   #294
Senior LCF Member

Macc---awesome on the yogurt making! It's so true, "main stream" yogurt is fat free and full of fake ingredients!

Cfine---chips and salsa are one of my FAVORITE SNACKS ON THE PLANET. There is no giving that up once and a while. We are living a lifestyle and not "on a diet".

Got about 6" of snow, roads are fine by us, I got to play in snow with my daughter, fun while burning calories!

I love coney dogs I guess, that meal was so comforting...beats mac and cheese for me!

Had crockpot stew tonight, very low carb friendly and very hearty, good for a snowy day!

Hi Amundson-----thanks for posting, it's a great challenge thread. I love posting and reading, it's kind of like my mini journal sometimes!

Goodnight to all. Vday is around the corner! <3 <3
Old 02-10-2013, 06:35 AM   #295
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This is why an occasional off plan food doesn't bode well for me; I ended up eating pb/crackers, and real milk last night. UGH! I will be fine. It's just hard to say no to your brain after you've already had something off plan. Back on track today. Lots of water, going to the gym, having some good protein.

At this point, I just want to be under 225, not by VD, but by the end of the month. I am going out of town for nine days in less than two weeks, and I'm a little worried about it. If I can get to that weight by then even with all of the travel, I will be pleased.

Lindsay-I am jealous We hardly ever get much snow, but when we do, my husband is ready. He bought some kind of sleds several years ago and we haven't gotten to use them yet. We will get some eventually.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:43 AM   #296
Senior LCF Member

Hey cfine-yes, the snow was fun, today the rain is washing it away though. You will use your sleds, put some WD40 on them and slide down a grassy hill!

Well---my induction thing....honestly not so great. I just had 10 french fries yesterday at lunch. Did I overeat, no, did I binge afterwards, no, but I did feel bloated. ugh.

Honestly, I'm feeling a bit stuck. Maybe I need to re-think my woe??? I still consider myself low carb, but maybe I need to watch calories?? Maybe I'm just annoyed because losing weight is really hard.

So many posters on this forum have lost a lot! Did they stay on induction forever?

I want to eat and look like a Giada!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #297
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Lindsay, have you ever checked out the Carbohydrate Addict Diet book? It allows for one meal per day where you can eat a serving of potatoes, rice, dessert. It sounds pretty reasonable. I am reading it now just to get a feel for what it's about. It sounds like you may need to transition to something like that. Just a thought.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:01 PM   #298
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amundson View Post
I haven't posted at all on this challenge thread, but was just reading a few postings. You are all so very encouraging with each other!! Kudos to you all! Remember, it is an incredible battle to change the shapes of our bodies, and our bodies fight us every step of the way! Today I was up 1 1/2 pounds after I was "good" yesterday, which is discouraging. On days like this, we just need to keep to our plans and forge ahead!! Keep up your positive approaches! It is inspiring to me!
Hi, Susan, it's good to see you here. I know in my head that my weight can fluctuate up 4 pounds or so without it meaning anything, but in my gut it still bothers me. Sometimes I'm tempted to just hide the scale in the closet. But you are certainly right that keeping to our plans and forging ahead is the best response.

One of the women on the JUDDD board posted that it helped her on hungry down calorie days to remember that friends she knew from the board were going through the same thing, so she didn't feel alone, and that made her less frustrated. I really liked that perspective, and I try to remind myself that other people I know and like from here have gone through the same struggles when I plateau or experience "bounces" up on the scale.

I hope you come by again; feel free to join us on this challenge or during our upcoming "Marvelous by Memorial Day challenge."
Old 02-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #299
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
Wow Macc, that sounds too easy. And yummy!

I ate chips and salsa today. Hopefully I can still make my goal. It was worth it though. We are hardly ever close to this certain mexican restaurant that has the best salsa ever! I wasn't going to pass up the opportunity to eat my favorite salsa. After all, this is my WOE for life, and sometimes a girl needs chips
Macc, I'm glad your yogurt turned out well. I've been thinking of trying to make some with half and half (or part whole milk, part half and half). I used to make it in a warm oven in a mixing bowl (turning the heat on low, then turning the oven off and leaving in a mixing bowl of the mixture overnight). I really should try making it again.

cfine, I'm lucky that I don't especially like chips, but when I go to a Mexican restaurant, I order fajitos and heap lots of guacamole and salsa on the meat. You have been making great progress toward your goal, and I don't think a few chips will stop that. Update: I'm glad you are back on plan again. You might want to have a plan about how to handle the upcoming travelling. Some things I do are check to see if I can get a little refrigerator in a hotel room (it usually doesn't cost much per day), pack some lowcarb supplies (almonds, nutbutter, tuna and salmon packet and mayo packets, a little jar of coconut butter, flax crackers, hard-boiled eggs in the shell, and individual cheese servings like babybel and laughing cow), and always check out lowcarb options on menus before I commit to taking a table at a restaurant. Will you be staying with family or friends or in a hotel? Hotel breakfasts are often a good option, if there is a full buffet or a sit-down menu with eggs and sausage as choices rather than just "continental" cereal and breads.

Last edited by svenskamae; 02-11-2013 at 10:30 PM..
Old 02-11-2013, 10:29 PM   #300
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4myfuture View Post
Hey cfine-yes, the snow was fun, today the rain is washing it away though. You will use your sleds, put some WD40 on them and slide down a grassy hill!

Well---my induction thing....honestly not so great. I just had 10 french fries yesterday at lunch. Did I overeat, no, did I binge afterwards, no, but I did feel bloated. ugh.

Honestly, I'm feeling a bit stuck. Maybe I need to re-think my woe??? I still consider myself low carb, but maybe I need to watch calories?? Maybe I'm just annoyed because losing weight is really hard.

So many posters on this forum have lost a lot! Did they stay on induction forever?

I want to eat and look like a Giada!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi, Lindsay! It's probably good to remember that most people would be very proud of themselves for having only 10 French fries at lunch.

It is really hard to know that one is doing all the right things and the scale refuses to budge. I can totally relate. Depending on the day, either I've lost 3 pounds or no pounds on this challenge, despite using JUDDD calorie limits on top of limiting carbs. I think we notice the people who lost a lot but we don't hear so much from the people who plateau or have a harder time. It's not really all that uncommon to have several weeks of losing very little or staying in the same place, I'm afraid, especially for women.