Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Challenges! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-challenges/)
-   -   2013 Pre-Summer Slim Down (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-challenges/785238-2013-pre-summer-slim-down.html)

FitnessJunkie1026 10-10-2012 09:37 AM

2013 Pre-Summer Slim Down

Introduce yourselves and let's get this started so we can enjoy next summer!

Summer is quite a ways off but will be here before we know it, lets commit to losing weight and getting healthy today rather than having another miserable summer.

FitnessJunkie1026 10-10-2012 09:44 AM

My name is Christie. I am 28 years old. I am married with two kids.

I've done Atkins successfully in the past and it's the only diet that I can seem to lose on. I've been struggling since January to lose weight and have lost the same 20 pounds three times since January. I would do really great and then I would binge eat, which caused uncontrollable cravings, and I would binge some more.

I got back on track in September and have lost 28.8 pounds so far. I'm trying really hard to keep it together and find what works the best for me. I think it has helped that I am trying to transition my family to more whole foods and less processed stuff so there's not alot of junk in the house this time around.

Anyway, I will be posting my daily meal plan and weight. Hope to see some others join.

alysmom 10-11-2012 03:27 AM

My name is Heather and I did Atking back in 2001 and hot goal weight. Managed to stay there a few years and then got back up to 215. I started induction on 9/29 and I am about 202 today. Not bad for about 1.5 weeks, but I seem stuck her the last three days. I know that is to be expected. I have started working out 5-6 days a week from not working out at all and could kick myself fromnot taking measurements:doh:

I am happliy married to my childhood sweetheart. I am 38 years old and I have two children ages 13 and almost 12. I work fulltime as a chemist and I am extremely motivated unlike the last 100 times I started this in the last 6 years:o

B: Cream Cheese/Egg/Cinnamon/sweetnlow cooked to gether
L: Broccoli, butter, chicken salad with mayo
D: Italian sausage with peppers and a small salad
S: cheese stick

I have found that almonds stall me and so today they are gone. I luv nuts but looks as if I have to wait until maintenance.

Good luck everyone...we can do this. My goal is to be at 150 by summer! :high5:

FitnessJunkie1026 10-11-2012 06:15 AM

:welcome:

Hey Heather! I lost alot of weight back in 2010, then we moved from Germany to NC and had to wait for our car to be shipped back to the states. It took a couple months so we were riding the bus to buy groceries because we didn't know anyone and started stocking up on all that processed food because it lasted longer. It was not fun trying to drag two toddlers on a bus to the grocery store every few days to get fresh produce. Needless to say the weight came back so fast.

Also, just wanted to mention that I always lose faster when I hit 100g of fat, 80g of proten, and 15 net carbs strictly from veggies. If you log what you eat, you can go back and see what you did the days before a good loss. And drinking half your weight in water. I drink at least 100 oz a day.

I am very motivated this time around so hoping to make it to goal again! Good luck!

FitnessJunkie1026 10-11-2012 06:22 AM

October 11, 2012 Plan

Weight: 191.6 (OMG! Almost in the 180's again!)

Meal Plan
B: Cucumbers with italian dressing
L: Tuna Salad on pickle slices
D: Hamburger Salad (hamburger, lettuce, onions, pickles, mayo, mustard, homemade bbq sauce)

Water Goal
100+ oz

Exercise Goal
Treadmill: 45+ minutes

FitnessJunkie1026 10-11-2012 06:53 AM

I thought it might be fun for everyone to post what some of their favorite recipes are.

Sunny Sausage (I suck at flipping fried eggs and this has solved the problem.) You make a flat, large sausage patty and take a glass and cut the middle out, put the sausage in the skillet and crack the egg into the cutout middle, let it sit a minute or two to connect with the sausage and then flip it. My husband loves his with sugar free syrup

Sweet & Sour Chicken (So AWESOME!) You can use breast or thighs, just cube the chicken and toss in a frying pan with some oil, I season the chicken with onion powder, sea salt and pepper. While that searing, make the sauce. The sauce is 3/4 cup splenda, 4 tablespoons reduced sugar ketchup (I make my own), 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar, 1.5 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 teaspoon garlic powder. After the chicken is cooked through, pour the sauce on and cook it down until its glazed and sticky. So delicious! Got this from Pinterest a few weeks ago.

Chicken Parmesan (Yummy) Breaded in pork rinds and parmesan cheese. Fried in vegetable oil. I top it with low carb pizza sauce (Great Value/Wal-Mart brand) and mozzarella cheese and put it under the broiler. Make garlic butter herb spaghetti squash as a side. Melted butter, garlic powder, onion powder, basil and cream cheese all mixed together. Top with mozarella and broil until cheese is bubbly and melted.

Tacos We use La Tortilla Factory brand tortillas. They are 3 net carbs and very filling! I am full after eating one. I pack it full and so far it hasn't stalled me. I think this is one of the biggest reasons I haven't binged in over a month. I don't feel like I am missing out. My husband who is in shape and can eat what he wants loves breakfast burritos, steak and cheese, and deli meat on these.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-fabulous.html Another one we love! I wasn't sure about it but it turned out so great!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-cake-pic.html This recipe is amazing. The brand of almond flour really makes a difference, honeyville brand is as close to real cake as you can get while low carbing, in my opinion. I make these as muffins and keep them in the freezer so I dont overeat them. I have tried 100's of low carb sweets and breads and this is the only one I have liked. I keep the dry ingredients mixed up in a ziploc in the freezer and just scoop out 2 cups at a time and make a half recipe.

Coleslaw
4 cups cabbage , finely chopped
1/2 cup vidalia onion
1/4 cup splena + 2 equal packets
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/16 teaspoon white pepper
1/8 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons white vinegar
1 tablespoons lemon juice

Put cabbage and onion in a bowl, make the sauce, pour the sauce over the vegetables and mix together. Needs to sit at least 2 hours, but the longer the better.

Linda Sue's recipes
My Favorite BBQ Sauce
Better Heinz Ketchup
Red Enchilada Sauce
Spinach Lasagna
Jello Fluff

These are just a few off the top of my head. What are some of your favorites?

alysmom 10-11-2012 09:15 AM

Christie: I log my food and think that my body is holding steady a few days after an 11 pound loss in a week. I think I need more fat as well because my protein and fat are around 60 g/day if that. I am not real hungry so I find that I need to sneak fat in.

I am going to do this and I also tell myself that the weight did not come on overnight and it won't come off the same way. Would be amazing if it did :)

Mick6 10-12-2012 05:17 AM

Hi Christie and Heather! I want to follow along and check in even though I'm not weighing or counting anything. Do you mind me adding my menus even if they are not super low carb? Just low glycemic and wheat free.

If any of you use a kindle I want to suggest a really good book. It's a free one. "The Hot tub Diet". It is not a diet book at all by the way.

~ Chelle

FitnessJunkie1026 10-12-2012 05:40 AM

Micks

No, feel free to post. I plan on introducing more items into my rotation soon as well. We are probably all going to be different versions of a similar eating plan. I am doing low carb at the moment because it boosts my weight loss but I will start adding in more whole foods soon, even if they aren't necessary low carb.

This time around, I feel like this is way more than a diet. My main goal this time is to get my kids on the right track so they can grow up and be healthy adults. We are trying to cut out 90% of sugar, which hasn't been hard because I dont let my kids eat candy or drink juice. Cutting out some of the processed items has been a bit difficult. My son will only eat Tyson brand chicken nuggets, pizza, and macaroni and cheese. My daughter will only eat peanut butter and jelly, pizza, spaghettios and macaroni and cheese. I've started with smaller changes, natural peanut butter and reduced sugar jelly. Homemade pizza crust which the only one they will touch is a wheat crust but I have the control over what goes into it so its better than the frozen ones at this point. I can't find anything my daughter can eat to replace spaghettios. One things the kids love is their danimal yogurt replacement, we are using greek yogurt flavored with the sugar free syrups or a a bit of crystal light.

FitnessJunkie1026 10-12-2012 05:42 AM

October 12, 2012 Plan

Weight: 191.6

Meal Plan
B: Atkins Shake (Cafe Caramel)
L: Sweet & Sour Chicken, Cauliflower Rice, Snow Peas
D: leftovers from lunch

Water Goal
100+ oz

Exercise Goal
Treadmill: None (too much homework today)

courtneyjo22 10-13-2012 11:04 AM

I would love to join!! (:
I started (again) on October 1st and have lost 9.2 lbs so far! This is the first summer in quite a few years that I was fat and uncomfortable. I do not want to have another summer like it. I started gaining weight in May 2011 and got myself up to 215 lbs. ): The biggest I have ever been not pregnant. Although I have had weight issues almost my whole life, I had lost weight my senior year of high school and was doing a pretty good job at keepin it off until now. So here I am at 26 years old and losing weight again. Ughh it is so frustrating. I am engaged and we have a 6 year old daughter, Caitlyn. I want to be a good example for her.

Mick6 10-13-2012 01:27 PM

Sounds like you have a good plan Christie!!!

Hi there Courtney! I wish I would have set a good example like you and Christie are trying too when my kids were younger. They do ok but sure like their fast food and and old enough to go get it.

I forgot to introduce myself. I met Chrsitie on a challenge I started about not being fat and uncomfortable summer of 2012 btw. I am Chelle and I have 2 kids. One adult and one almost and adult. I have fought with my weight since I was about 30. Nothing like struggling to feel comfy in your skin the last 12 years. I decided during the summer 2012 challenge that I wanted to be healthy but wouldn't do anything to get there that I won't do for life so here I am only going by my clothes size and following a moderately low carb plan with a whatever meal here and there (2-4 times a month but no sweets).

FitnessJunkie1026 10-13-2012 03:43 PM

Hi Courtney! Welcome! I also have a 6 year old daughter, as well as a 4 year old son. It's great you want to set a good example! I will never forget when I overheard my kids talking with each other and my son was telling my daughter that his belly was fat. She told him that he wasn't fat and mommy was the only fat one in our family. She's 6 years old and one of the sweetest girls you will ever meet, she obviously knows what fat is but wasn't trying to be cruel. Hearing that conversation was a big motivator for me to get started back in January. Unfortunately, I have fallen off the wagon quite a few times but I manage to get back on. So far so good this time. No cravings and no issues!

Chelle... spent so long calling you Micks! lol. I wish I could just go by how clothes are fitting but I am too obsessive. I weigh every morning and every night. I usually drop about 2 pounds per night while sleeping so I will weigh before bed to get an idea where I will be the next morning. It works for me right now. I need to be in the 150's by the end of Feb so I am being strict right now. I had oatmeal this morning because it looked so good as my husband was eating it. I made 1/2 cup and only ate a few bites. I think it looked so good because I was telling myself I couldn't have it, and when I tasted it, it was good but I didn't really want it. I will be eating some refried beans tomorrow. We are going to a BBQ and I am taking a 7 layer dip and I don't even want to resist, its one of my favorites. I will be taking a bag of pork rinds along to dip into it. The dip has so many flavors that you can't even taste the pork rinds. Normally I am not a fan of pork rinds but it works for me in this case.

Alysmom... How are you holding up?

FitnessJunkie1026 10-13-2012 03:45 PM

October 12, 2012 Plan

Weight: 191.6 (holding steady!)

Meal Plan
B: Atkins Shake (Cafe Caramel)/Few bites of oatmeal
L: Sweet & Sour Chicken, Onions, Snow Peas
D: Salad (Lettuce, cheese and ranch)
S: Cuke Salad (Diced Cucumbers, Italian Dressing)/Sugar Free Jello

Water Goal
100+ oz

Exercise Goal
Treadmill: None (too much homework today. I have another 2 classes starting on monday on top of what the 5 I am currently taking and they are faster paced so I am trying to get ahead in a few classes so I wont be stressed)

mom23kids 10-13-2012 04:14 PM

I'd love to join in on this challenge :) We have a sailboat and spend a lot of the summer time out on the lake. This year I wore a one piece suit with a skirt and it was quite depressing to feel so blah. I'm uber pear shaped and am :o about my butt and thighs. I'd love to be able to wear a two piece suit comfortably next year, and for the first time ever, wear one without a skirt!

I'm 34 years old, a sahm of three kids, live in MI and I just started eating low carb yesterday. I've been steadily gaining weight over the past couple years and I'm currently at my highest weight ever, even more than my pregnancy weights, ugh. My goal is to lose 30lbs and to tone, tone, tone!

Since I'm brand new to this kind of eating I'm easing my way into it and am making several small changes for my first week-cutting back on diet soda (from 6+ cans a day to 3), cutting out most grains, eating more veggies, and drinking more water. I'm sort of following Mark Sisson's primal blueprint as my plan.

cinglessofme 10-13-2012 05:20 PM

I want to join this challenge too. I started again Tuesday for the water 243rd time :dunno:.So far I am down 7a lbs. I know this is the best way for me to lose weight, I've lost 40 lbs before on low carb, but I can't seem to stay the course. I'll keep trying until I get it right what other choice do I have.

FitnessJunkie1026 10-13-2012 07:41 PM

Welcome mom23kids and cingles!

mom23... I know what you mean about not feeling comfortable over the summer. I ended up wearing a tankini with a long tank top over it because I didn't feel comfortable. I've tried everything and low carb is the easiest to stick to. I've made some adjustments to fit me and I still lose. I posted some great recipes above, check those out! I never got above 150 pounds with my pregnancies and then blow up over 200 pounds from being lazy.

cingles... I think we were on an induction challenge together back in January! It can be hard to keep yourself on track. You just need to really take a look at yourself. I know that I am the type of person if I allow myself to cheat, then I binge. I tell myself well I already messed up, I will start back tomorrow, then a few weeks later I have gained it all back. I am proud to say I have been focusing on fixing that. First, 90% of the food in our house is low carb approved. The few things we have that aren't approved will be okay once I get in the later phases. What is the hardest part of sticking to low carb for you?

P.S. Even if you mess up, don't be too embarrassed to admit it! This challenge should help us be accountable to one another. We are all going to make mistakes. Don't drop out, let us help you get back on the wagon!

mom23kids 10-14-2012 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FitnessJunkie1026 (Post 16013140)
Welcome mom23kids and cingles!

mom23... I know what you mean about not feeling comfortable over the summer. I ended up wearing a tankini with a long tank top over it because I didn't feel comfortable. I've tried everything and low carb is the easiest to stick to. I've made some adjustments to fit me and I still lose. I posted some great recipes above, check those out! I never got above 150 pounds with my pregnancies and then blow up over 200 pounds from being lazy.

cingles... I think we were on an induction challenge together back in January! It can be hard to keep yourself on track. You just need to really take a look at yourself. I know that I am the type of person if I allow myself to cheat, then I binge. I tell myself well I already messed up, I will start back tomorrow, then a few weeks later I have gained it all back. I am proud to say I have been focusing on fixing that. First, 90% of the food in our house is low carb approved. The few things we have that aren't approved will be okay once I get in the later phases. What is the hardest part of sticking to low carb for you?

P.S. Even if you mess up, don't be too embarrassed to admit it! This challenge should help us be accountable to one another. We are all going to make mistakes. Don't drop out, let us help you get back on the wagon!

I'll check out the recipes, thanks!

Mick6 10-14-2012 10:00 AM

Christie you can call me which ever you like:) How do you make 7 layer dip?

Mom23kids~ HI! Small changes are great. I also follow PB foodlist ( just dont count the carbs though) but with the addition of beans since I love them.

Cingless~ Many of us have started over a bazillion times. I don't think we fail unless we stop trying.

Wow did the few drinks I had hit me like a rock last night! That Moscato sure was yummy.

Yesterday menu was

huge taco salad

chicken and sweet potato strips fried

Beef hot dogs with a bazllion onions on a GF wrap

some of the left over chicken and sweet potato strips cold

2 glasses moscato

So far today has been eggs with onions and cheese, 2 strips bacon and a banana

FitnessJunkie1026 10-14-2012 11:20 AM

October 14, 2012 Plan

Weight: 191.6 (holding steady!)

Meal Plan
B: Eggs and Sausage
L: Pizza Bowl (layer pepperoni, onions, mushrooms, pizza sauce and cheese, repeat the layers again and microwave for a minute)
D: Bunless Burgers, 7 Layer Dip
S: Sugar Free Jello

Water Goal
100+ oz

Exercise Goal
Treadmill: None (BBQ and school today but will get on top of it tomorrow)

FitnessJunkie1026 10-14-2012 11:24 AM

Chelle... The 7 layer dip is great!!

1. Fat Free Refried Beans mixed with a packet of taco seasoning. This is your bottom layer.
2. Full fat sour cream on top of refried beans.
3. Salsa on top of sour cream
4. Lettuce on top of salsa
5. Shredded mexican cheese on top of lettuce
6. tomatoes on top of lettuce (i usually on do half with tomatoes)
7. avocado sauce drizzled on top (some people do mashed avocado after the refried beans the but the sauce gives it a little something extra that everyone raves about)

Avocado Sauce (great on ALL mexican type food, espeacilly taco salad)
1 avocado
1/4 cup mayo
1/4 sour cream
1/8 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 teaspoon splenda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground oregano
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
cayenne pepper (to taste)

Makes about 1 cup. Put it in a squirt bottle!

cinglessofme 10-14-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

cingles... I think we were on an induction challenge together back in January!

Yes, we were.

Quote:

cingles... I know that I am the type of person if I allow myself to cheat, then I binge. I tell myself well I already messed up, I will start back tomorrow, then a few weeks later I have gained it all back.

Yup, same here. I did well the entire month of January so I decided to "treat" myself to a high carb meal and it turned into months long binge. I have made numerous attempts since february and this is the longest I've lasted.

Quote:

What is the hardest part of sticking to low carb for you?

I like carbs. I mean I like the way I eat on Low-carb the food is enjoyable but I miss carbs and I miss the convenience of eating or dining out. I don't enjoy cooking. I hate having to put thought into every meal; way too time consuming.

Quote:

P.S. Even if you mess up, don't be too embarrassed to admit it!

There is no embarrassment here, everyone on this board has their own issues with food and accountability so I don't feel anyone can stand in judgement :). I'll keep trying until I get it right.

cinglessofme 10-14-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micksgonepb (Post 16013915)
Cingless~ Many of us have started over a bazillion times. I don't think we fail unless we stop trying.

This is exactly how I feel

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micksgonepb (Post 16013915)
Wow did the few drinks I had hit me like a rock last night! That Moscato sure was yummy.

When I am low carb it takes MUCH less alcohol to get intoxicated versus when I eat carbs. I get drunk really quick. I think the body metabolises alcohol differently, it certainly seems faster, when low carb.

FitnessJunkie1026 10-14-2012 06:33 PM

Today was a good day. I definitely ate over my net carbs today but I am okay with that because it wasn't anything off plan, just not quite induction friendly. May have a gain tomorrow because I did eat quite a bit. Thankfully. the 7 layer dip went really fast or I would have eaten alot more. School wise, between yesterday and today, I finished one class and almost finished another class, 8 weeks early. So now that I have that off my plate, when my 8 week fast paced classes start tomorrow, I shouldn't struggle too much.

I've really gotta get on top of my exercising tomorrow. I have a list of goals for the month of October and I've met every one of them except exercising five times a week.

Cingles... I love to cook, but am usually short on time. I've started keeping some stuff in the freezer. For example. cubed raw chicken breast in sweet and sour sauce that I can dump in the crockpot in the morning. The last half hour I toss in some peppers, snow peas and onion strips and its like a stir fry. I also keep cooked crumbled ground beef in the freezer that I only season with salt and pepper so I can make a spinach lasagna. I tried making the spinach lasagna and freezing it but I hate leftovers and it tasted like leftovers after baking it. I also keep cooked and seasoned taco meat in the freezer in 1 pound batches. It's helps quite a bit and only takes a few minutes to get it all together. Maybe some other crockpot dump meals that you can freeze would help. If you had 7 that you really liked, you could make enough to last a month and eat something different each day of the week? Also you can make a breakfast bake type thing overnight with eggs, bacon, sausage, etc. and cook it on low overnight. You can do a google search for specifics. Anyway, maybe some of those suggestions will be helpful?

Anyway, I hope you are all doing well. Don't worry about any setbacks, just get back on plan at the next meal. I have always used the excuse well I already messed up, I will eat what I want for the rest of the day and get back on tomorrow. It never happens, but when I mess up now, I dont get mad at myself, I just get back on track right away. No excuses.

FitnessJunkie1026 10-15-2012 05:29 AM

October 15, 2012 Plan
Weight: 192.8 (Small gain... hopefully from all the sodium I ate yesterday!)

Meal Plan
B: Atkins Shake
L: Tuna, Onion & Cheese on Pickle Slices
D: Spinach Lasagna & Salad
S: Sugar Free Jello (Maybe Jello Fluff if I get around to making some today)

Exercise
Treadmill 45+ minutes (this evening while watching one of my dvr shows!)

Progress Report
I am not upset about my gain. I am beyond ready to get into the 180's but I enjoyed myself yesterday and I didn't eat anything that was bad for me. This week I am going to shoot for induction levels and 5 days of exercise. Hoping that will land me in the 180's.

On an non weight loss topic, today is the first day that I have no cleaning to do. I finally have my schedule down to a science and it feels really nice to drop the kids off and then be able to relax. I am too obsessive about my house being clean and usually something ALWAYS needs to be done with kids, a dog, and a husband who might as well be a kid. lol.

Well, hope your days are starting off great!

C13rre 10-15-2012 03:03 PM

Hey everyone, I'm Carrie, 27 yrs old, live with my partner + our son who is nearly 5 yrs old.

I've had major problems + battles with my weight since I was around 20. I lose till I feel ok bout myself then I go back to old eating habits and gain everything back plus more :-(.

I have done atkins a good few times + luv the way it makes me feel + look. My skin gets better, my sleeping pattern settles and I generally feel amazing when getting up first thing in the morning. All this is after my cold turkey crazy stage of no carbs. Carb cravings are horrid. Love to hear everyone else experiences + ideas to help me along my way + if I could offer some I would be happy too. Xxx

FitnessJunkie1026 10-16-2012 04:49 AM

October 16, 2012
Weight: 190.6 (less than a pound til the 180's!!)

Meal Plan
B: Sunny Sausage (Fried Eggs and Sausage Patty fried together)
L: Steak & Cheese Salad (mayo, mushrooms, onions and cheese)
D: Stuffed Burger Dog (Hamburger shaped like thick hot dog with a pickle spear and shredded cheese in the middle)
S: Diet Root Beer (have been trying to stay away from all soda, but like to treat myself every once in a while!)

Water
100+ oz

Exercise
Treadmill: 45+ minutes

Progress Report:
I was so excited this morning when I weighed. I had a quick flash of wondering if I hadn't eaten the stuff that I did at the BBQ, could I have already been in the 180's? I squashed that thought quickly because I really didn't eat anything wrong. Some beans and a few bites of oatmeal... I also dropped the weight back down pretty fast so it probably wasn't a true gain, more likely bloating from sodium that needed to be flushed from my system. Anyway, my fingers are crossed that tomorrow is THE day, but we shall see!

FitnessJunkie1026 10-16-2012 04:53 AM

Welcome Carrie!

I also love Atkins... it's the only diet that I can ever lose on without feeling deprived. When I try to do low calorie, I end up eating the high calorie foods and wasting my calories early in the day and then end up starving. I have never felt hungry doing Atkins and I always lose weight.

mom23kids 10-16-2012 09:19 AM

Checking in-lost another pound this morning so I'm down a total of 2.5lbs since I started eating lc last Friday :jumpjoy: I also decided to start following Jorge Cruise's The Belly Fat Cure plan. I like the structure it has and it's been super easy to follow so far. It's very strict about sugar intake, which is something I need to have since I've had elevated sugar numbers (though the glucose test I took came back normal), as well as a family tree full of diabetes. Having a set sugar gram number everyday makes me really pay attention to my sugar consumption!

cinglessofme 10-16-2012 01:27 PM

Down another two pounds today.