Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 01:42 AM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Marilee, we have met pretty Miss Holly, now who is lurking on top of your cabinet?

Tony, terrific news that your brother is doing well enough to be walking around! Thanks for the birthday wishes for daughter and sister. Yes, I am doing well on the eating until I get home from work lately. Still having a struggle.

FF, hope that hamstring does improve enough to get out to the boardwalk on Sunday. Nice and easy does it! I like your breakfast sandwich of egg, mayo and salad fixins! My kind of meal. I took all the meat off the rotiserie chicken this morning and mixed it with mayo. Will have some for lunch with some pork rinds. I didn't realize it was a lemon pepper flavored one until I got it home. Don't like that. Just give me plain chicken. Hope that the mayo tones down the flavoring some.

Turned in my application yesterday so now just sit and wait. The other two temps who have been there only about a month (two sisters) are waiting to see what happens too. They are always worried every time a new seasonal person gets hired if they are going to get booted. Both are very hard workers so they shouldn't be worried, but I understand their trepidation with the economy the way it is.

Hope you all have a great Thursday!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2012, 04:18 AM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/236.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
abi, good luck on the job...if i was in charge, you'd be hired!...and good luck on finding your groove today...i don't like lemon-pepper either...in fact, i don't like lemon on any food - not even fish...it's like adding something sour to something tasty...i do like the flavor of lemon, like lemonade, lemon pie, etc, just not on my food...

brother is doing so well, they may let him out today or tomorrow - way ahead of schedule...

my kids are so cute - the 16 year-old has an early-release from school today, so his two older brothers are picking him up and meeting his sister who is driving home from college to meet them at the pizza hut buffet for lunch... :-)

gonna drink a ton today and with the rain gone, maybe the hip will feel better...i have my whole day at the hospital tomorrow...

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 10-11-2012, 04:25 AM   #63
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
not a big fan of lemon chicken either, Abby.

i had a piece of broiled salmon for dinner. I had no tartar sauce, so i used horseradish. Pretty good. It was a very small portion, and did not hold me. I picked at the veggies. Now, i am nauseous, instead of hungry. Ultimately, the right choice is to make it myself. but, come hell or high water, i am going to AC on Sat. At least i shall be out of the house all day. Sun a.m. I believe i shall re-register with WW. I need to get straight. WW AND lc together is very do-able. FF
Old 10-11-2012, 07:50 AM   #64
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.6/336.4/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 11/11/13
Man, am I ever stuffed! That was the longest lunch in history!

I totally forgot that I was taking my car yesterday at lunch for an oil change so my schedule got thrown.

Abi, that is Misty. She's gorgeous. Good luck with the job - I really hope that they are smart enough to see your value and hire you right away. I don't like lemon pepper either. Just give me my chicken plain.

Tony, that's great news about your brother! Answered prayers there. I hope you are in less pain today. Joint/body pain is not fun to have to deal with. I have a feeling the weather may have caused it - the rise in the barometric pressure sure affects me.

ff, I'm so jealous of your trip to Atlantic City. Let's hope your leg is much better by then and you can go and enjoy yourself.

I am not doing well staying on plan. I've gained 8 pounds and am not happy with myself. I do fine during the day, but on the drive home from work I think of everything I'd rather have then what is planned and it seems, more often than not, that I give in. I really need to get in the groove again - I was losing so well and I really need to get this blubber off - especially since my chicken shot is wearing off.

So, today is a new day! Here is what's for eats:

B-MF scrambled eggs
S-MF Carmel Crunch bar
L-MF chicken and wild rice soup
S-MF S'more bar
D-chicken breast and green beans
S-MF brownie

I placed another MF order because I needed some of my staples for my snacks - cereal and bars. I'm trying some new things, too. They have a lot of variety, which is good.

Must go....TTYL!

Marilee
Old 10-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #65
Major LCF Poster!

hey marilee, i bet that lunch was delicious!...lol...sounds like you are committed to getting back on track...your signature quote says it all!...i need to have a couple of good weeks before surgery as i want to be lighter before i start walking on my titanium stump...haha!

i am drinking a ton of water today, but haven't been peeing that much yet...hmmm...it will probably start flowing all at once - i hope...tomorrow is my pre-op day at the hospital and i was hoping to be in better shape than i am...the hip feels a little better today and its the first day it hasn't been raining in a week, it seems, so marilee, you may be right about the weather...

hope y'all are having a great day!
Old 10-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #66

so relieved that your brother is doing well, Tony!!!

In spite of my new found inspiration, i get wicked thoughts 24/7. I am happy when I am right more often than wrong. As the cliche goes: if we fail to plan, we plan to fail. My experience tells me that everyone on the bus takes food with them to eat on the bus. I shall be armed to the teeth with low carb alternatives. I am also taking some low carb toast for on the boardwalk burgers and/or franks. this time, i will not be too careful about portion sizes, but i will not go crazy either. i am getting some lc goodies after work tomorrow incl the lc bread. i will surround myself with lc food, to avoid the temptation of off-plan choices (or at worst minimize the damage). FF
Old 10-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

ff, i am happy that you are thinking about re-joining ww...we've been together for a long time and you really rocked ww when you did it!!!...the lbs. melted off then and they will again...good luck, bro!...have fun in AC as well - i predict you are entering a great phase this fall...

had an egg for breakfast, salad topped with tuna for lunch and grilled marinated chicken breast and a few dollops (marilee!) of butternut squash for dinner...it was sooo good...i'm a pretty good barbecue chef, but have been reading up on methodology and learning a lot of stuff i never knew...used a new trick with the chicken tonight and it was juicier and more tender than ever before...guess you CAN teach an old dog new tricks!

Last edited by tony8; 10-11-2012 at 04:23 PM..
Old 10-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
Hi all,
I've been out of the loop again but doing really well with my exercise and eating--I think I'm down about 9lbs right now from when I started back about a month ago. I will try to be more consisitent about checking in. I just got a new roof on our house and gutters in time for winter and been doing a hundred other things it seems like but I know it's important to check in here too so it will be a hundred and one things I'm doing now!

Wanted to let you all know about a good book I read on my Kindle about low carb eating but also the metality of weight loss and changing your body permanently...I think it's very good I'm not sure if it's available other than on Kindle...?
The Low Carb Revolution: Why the Secret to Losing Weight is to Fall Back in Love With Yourself! it was only $2.99 though

The gist of it is that we have to love and appreciate ourselves (including our bodies as they are now) if we are to change to something different and also accept that the part of us that is overeating has been programmed that way to fufill a need at some point in our lives. Thank that part of us for doing it's job and explain to it that it can do something different now--direct the engery elsewhere. It is kind of complicated to explain and sounds kind of nutty, but basically speaks to the psychology of why we have a weight problem and how to approach changing...it seemed to make alot of sense to me and I'm trying to speak positively and kindly to myself and incorporate some of the other principals the book offered...

Well, gotta go now but wishing everyone the best on our journey towards improving our lives!
Old 10-12-2012, 02:00 AM   #69
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Jenny, you sound so good and we can tell by your loss that you are doing very well. The book sounds good and you described its premise very well. I don't have a kindle but continue to give us words of wisdom from it.

Marilee, your mindset right now is my mindset. Hoping to shake it off before it takes too much of a toll on me. Misty is beautiful! Do all your kitties get along very well? You have one more to go don't you? Looking forward to seeing "her?" picture too.

FF, you did very well with the ww points and the low carb grams. Sounds like a good plan to me.

Tony, hope your day at the hospital puts all your concerns to rest and hope also your hip feels even better today. Amazing that your brother may get to go home today or may have even gone home yesterday! Tell us about your new method of cooking chicken. We are always eager to find better ways to cook also.

Boy, is it cold this morning. 33 degrees! I don't mind the cold - just that white stuff you have to drive through and shovel.

Hope you all have a great Friday and relaxing weekend!
Old 10-12-2012, 04:18 AM   #70

at the very last second....

i thought i was going to AC tomorrow. But, standing in front of the travel place, where i buy my bus ticket, i had to wuss out. i was nauseous all day, and i really tried hard not to regurge in public. AC will have to wait for another time. Of course, now i am feeling much better, and w/o the need for a personal protein spill. SIC TRANSIT GLORIA MVNDI. If I got on that bus, it might have been SICK TRANSIT!!! So, it is Friday. i will divide my chores and errands between Sat & Sun. Tomorrow, weatherwise, will be the best weather day I have seen in ages. The high is predicted to be 59 FAHRENHEIT. FF
Old 10-12-2012, 07:35 AM   #71
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning and happy Friday!

Hi Jenny! It's always nice to hear from you. The book sounds great and full of interesting information. I agree with having to love your body even as it is now, but that is so hard to do!

Abi, I have two more furry friends to go - Depot (the only male of the bunch) is who you are seeing now. He was dumped in a dumpster at - you guessed it - Home Depot before he was weaned. Poor little guy - I got him from my vet who was helping him get over some issues. They all get along pretty well - there are issues from time to time. If you look in the picture in the back on top of the receiver is a dark mass - that's my diva, Coco Chanel. She will appear next.

I think I have my mojo back. I had a "come to Jesus" meeting with myself and kicked myself in the butt so I'm ready to recommit and stick to the plan - hopefully until Thanksgiving.

ff, I'm glad you are going back on LC WW. I know you liked it and it worked for you. Keep us posted.

Hi Tony!!!!!
Old 10-12-2012, 10:23 AM   #72

i cannot believe how many people never heard of LUCIANO PAVAROTTI.

i do not expect people in general to know much about opera or classical singing. However, Sr. Pavarotti 's(who at this moment is singing to the accompaniment of Apollo's lyre...and with the healing deity Dr. Atkins in close attendance)career extended way outside that world into the world at large. Well, today is his birthday, and I am in a good mood (for the moment)because of it. I am in the process of cleaning up my work station, which is prologue to much housework that needs to be done. (can i rent a wife for a short while?). Gonna be on my feet this weekend, including a walk (or a schlepp) on the boardwalk here in Bklyn. No 5 guys this weekend. aww nuts!!! FF
Old 10-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #73
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I love Pavoratti! Remember years go when "the three tenors would sing"? Absolutely breathtaking.....
Old 10-12-2012, 12:37 PM   #74

THAT'S IT. I am cancelling my vacations plans......

NOT!!! I just finished tidy-ing my work station. It looks beautiful. I really want to come to work on Monday. (yes they are coming to take me away). the good news is I am not even hungry (or nauseous). I need to replenish my diet soda supply. TO SHOPRITE WE SHALL GO. I will try to call in over the weekend, but i SHALL be quite busy. FF
Old 10-13-2012, 03:34 AM   #75
Major LCF Poster!

Marilee, Depot is adorable with that black nose. You are so sweet to take him in. Can't wait to see a close up of Coco Chanel. Have you ever been able to take a picture of all of them at one time, like when they are all looking out the open window breathing in the fresh air? I am hopeful that the two of us can stay on the wagon now. I am so mad at myself!!!

FF, sorry about the nausea causing you to cancel your trip to ac. I used to get car sick as a child and riding on a bus was the worst with the diesel smell. I used to feel so good on Friday afternoon after cleaning my cubicle when I had a desk job. Can't say it made me want to rush back to work on Monday. lol Good luck on getting your apartment cleaned and all your shopping done. Enjoy your cool day. It is 29 this morning here in NH.

Tony, that day at the hospital must have worn you out! Hope all is ok!

Well, I need to start cleaning at my house now. Have a great Saturday Blitzers!
Old 10-13-2012, 06:50 AM   #76
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning! It's going to be a great day! A storm came through the past couple of days and cooled us off - it's 58 outside now and we will only get to 83 for a high. Didn't get much rain from the storm - too far north, but I love the effects.

Getting my hair done today, which always perks me up! New color and a fun style.

Not much to report. On plan today from now moving forward. Hope to see the scale move downward. Too bad it moves up quicker than down.

TTYL
Old 10-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #77
Senior LCF Member

Just checking in again--ate some chinese food last night all low carb and no msg--broth from wonton soup (my daughter eats the wontons) and veggies, also some bites of my husband stirfry-- I'm up 2lbs today--goes to show how much sodium affects our bodies.

Just got back from walk/hike up my back hill, it's easier to do now than when I first started.

Gibby, I think of the "loving your body" not in terms of how it looks but all the incredible things it does for us--it's functionality if you will. When you think about it, it is quite amazing, filtering out the toxins we put in it, growing our hair, new skin, digesting food for energy, fighting viruses, and on and on...it is doing the best job possible with what it is given and I want to give it exercise and the healthiest foods I can so it can do it's job well, eventually my ideal body weight will come of this attitude.

Made a nice chicken soup with bones I boiled to make a rich broth, then added dill, fennel, celery, carrot, red pepper, yellow zuchhini, turnip and green beans--beautiful to look at all the colors and delicious. My 7 year old daughter gave it two thumbs up--it feels good to be feeding her such healthy food too!

Gotta go--Have a great day everyone!
Old 10-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #78

i notice thaty once we are back on your food plans...

eating right is just as addictive as eating wrong. That chicken soup sounds most appealing. Tomorrow is WW re-reg. Good luck to me! FF
Old 10-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #79

I thought I proof read that. what i meant was...

once we are back on OUR food plans...FF
Old 10-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

hey guys, great to see everyone posting...

marilee and abi, i am so happy that you guys are joining forces to get back on track...you both have been very disciplined even in your digressions - you are not going off the deep end as we all have done in the past...you have limited the slips and the damage...i am proud of both of you!

ff, sorry you were nauseous, but i am also so proud of you for re-joining ww tomorrow...i really believe that will be key to your success moving forward...i know it isn't easy, but you have drawn a line in the sand and said "enough!" and that is inspiring to me...way to go, bro!...

jenny, i know i sound like a broken record but i am proud of you too!...you have lost so much weight and your approach to healthy eating and being kind to our bodies is an awesome lesson to all of us...that is how i have been thinking leading up to my surgery and i am trying to make it my new way of life...

sorry i was out of touch yesterday - it was a marathon at the hospital and i was given a lot of information i need to digest...my surgeon was not very encouraging - i have so much deformity in my hip from letting it go this long - he more than reiterated the difficulty he and i are both going to have and how much higher the risk is of a bad outcome...he mentioned "death" way too many times for my taste...i am hoping his lack of bedside manner is more than made up for by his competency as a surgeon...

yesterday, i was really starting to second-guess having the surgery at all, but i have been in so much pain today that i know there is no way i can avoid it...it's bad now and will only get worse until i can't walk at all...therefore, the way i look at it, i will have to do it some day and right now i am healthier and stronger than i will be in the future, i am going to one of the best hospitals in the world, etc...so even with the risk, i think i have to do it now...

the good news is that my labs came back good (cholesterol still high but my doc is not pushing pills yet) and after all the tests i have undergone, i appear to be in pretty good health... :-)

eating well too...adhering to kbeth's, "food is fuel - food is medicine" mantra seems to be working for my general health - thanks kbeth! :-)

hope everyone is having a great saturday night!

Last edited by tony8; 10-13-2012 at 06:49 PM..
Old 10-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Tony, wow so sorry you having to face this in your life right now. I always try to picture myself past the unpleasant experience and doing well. This too shall pass--life sure requires alot of courage at times doesn't it? Continue thinking positively and know that you are doing the best thing for yourself. I wish you the best in your surgery and recovery.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:35 AM   #82
Major LCF Poster!

Tony, when we didn't hear from you I was afraid you were having a tough go at the hospital. Boy, that surgeon sure has a great bedside manner. Yes, lets hope on the other hand he is a fantastic surgeon.

Is your brother home now and coming along nicely?

Running late so will check back in later. Have a great Sunday all! Looking forward to my 3 scrambled eggs at the cc!
Old 10-14-2012, 06:31 AM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

thanks, sis, my body has always served me well...i almost never get sick, not even a headache, so not only do i have nothing to complain about, but i will go into surgery believing my body will surprise them and come out of this okay...

the reason i did not do this some years ago was because i was not willing to take the risk while i had young children and while my business was complicated - if something happened i would have left a mess...that is no longer the case, so i can go into this also with peace of mind that both my family is secure and taken care of and that my kids are on solid footing and will be okay no matter what...

okay, before marilee yells at me, i will change the subject! :-)

abs, my brother was released on friday and is home and feeling really well...it is amazing the positive change he has had in one week!...i think he and his family are in newport, ri with two of my sisters and their families in a timeshare my mom left...

meeting my in-laws in sturbridge mass at the cracker barrel for lunch - will probably order breakfast as everything is so carby there...

let's call this STAY STRONG SUNDAY!...i'll check in later...
Old 10-14-2012, 03:20 PM   #84
Major LCF Poster!

well, i felt like abs today - for lunch i had two eggs (mine were "over easy") with a pork chop...had a slice of whole wheat toast and a few nibbles of the cracker barrel hash browns...didn't touch the grits, the biscuits and gravy...it was good, but not that filling especially since i had skipped "real" breakfast-time this morning...

not sure what we will have for dinner yet - maybe leftovers... :-)
Old 10-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #85
Major LCF Poster!

made some guacamole and had that and a few whole grain chips as an appetizer :-) and leftover grilled chicken for dinner...i'm very full right now and done eating for the day...

how is everyone doing today?...can't wait to hear how ff made out at ww?...
Old 10-15-2012, 01:28 AM   #86
Major LCF Poster!

posted twice

Last edited by Abigale; 10-15-2012 at 01:35 AM..
Old 10-15-2012, 01:34 AM   #87
Major LCF Poster!

Well, it's Monday morning and I am hoping for a good week for me and all of the Blitzers!

FF, did you get signed up at ww? Know you are going to have a very successful result this time around. How many days now til retirement?

Tony, you showed alot of restraint not eating any of the grits! I love grits with butter and salt.

Jenny, did you get some good hiking up your hill this weekend? It is so nice to have you back with us!

Marilee, I bet you will have Coco Chanel as your avitar today. Looking forward to seeing her. My younger sister has a shelter cat that her friend talked her into getting a couple of years ago. Winnie is a calico with one lots of extra toes and one leg is striped like "pipi longstocking". Now her friend is tempting her with another calico kitten. I think she is going to cave in. lol I just tried to post a picture of it but since my sister had sent it from her phone it wouldn't let me save it. You will have to take my word that if you saw the photo you would go get that baby kitty for yourself.

Wishing you all a great day!
Old 10-15-2012, 04:24 AM   #88

i did not leave the house yesterday.

i had one of my dizzy spells. i also neglected to bring my lc bread & my ON SALE Kraft extra sharp cheddar (it is the red foil that makes the experience) to work today. At this moment I am feeling the weight of nearly 32 years of Mondays. I am so glad i cleaned my work station on Friday. F-4 months to go-F
Old 10-15-2012, 05:23 AM   #89
Major LCF Poster!

well, abi, you have left us with the age-old question unanswered: was it 3 scrambled or 2 with bacon?...you know we cannot start a week properly without that information!... :-) and as a follow-up: how many more weeks before the cc closes?...hope you have a great monday at the wax museum...

ff, sorry to hear you were dizzy yesterday...does ww make house calls?...

this week will be a bit crazy - two days at home and then three in nashville - i miss sarah and can't wait to see her...i am hoping my leg holds up enough for me to walk through the airport - manchester is easy, but n-ville is a hike!...my hip is so much worse than it was in july when i flew the last time...but there is no way i am not going - no matter what...

i haven't been that hungry the past few days - my appetite seems to be waning as surgery is approaching...it almost feels instinctive...i've also been following jenny's protocol of eating earlier in the afternoon and that seems to be helping curb my usual evening hunger...

i ordered a dry-rubbed pork butt for tomorrow which i will slow cook for pulled pork - not sure of tonight's menu - maybe fish...

hope everyone finds their groove this week - the holidays are coming and i think we could all use a running start heading into that time of year, don't you?...it is sure NOT the time to try to climb on the wagon - THIS IS THAT TIME, KIDS!...let's all do it!

i'll be back! :-)
Old 10-15-2012, 07:28 AM   #90
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning. Here we go with a new start at a new week.

Abi, this is Coco Chanel. I wish I had a better picture of her besides this, but I don't.

Tony, I am NOT going to yell at you. You are just being wise and preparing yourself in case something goes wrong - I did the same thing. I am so sorry you had to hear the news that you received from the doctor. However, I would much rather have one that gave me the worse case scenario instead of glossing over things and then having something go wrong and be blindsighted. Tell me again when the actual surgery is?

Jenny, I know - our bodies are amazing, aren't they? I am so thankful that mine functions well, in spite of the demands I have made upon it.

ff, I hope you are feelilng better today and your dizzy spells are gone. How much longer before retirement?

Got to run. I'll TTYL
Closed Thread