Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 01:48 PM   #391
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Thanks for the recipe Tony.

Getting through left-overs etc. I made ham balls today and I have a turkey vegetable soup in the crockpot for tonight. Pie and sweet potatoes are gone.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #392
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/236.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
ff, i'd recommend an inner-spring, maybe with a pillow-top...the foam is nice, but they say it traps your body heat and makes you feel hot in warmer weather - which i know you don't want...that is what kept me from buying foam when we replaced our mattress last year...

i'm sure others here may have opinions i hope they will share...

hey vicki, great to see you... :-)

hope everyone is having a great day!
Old 11-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #393
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
an inner spring sounds right, Tony.

as long as the springs stay IN. Now I need something to bring the shine/gloss back to part of my wooden floor in the bedroom that was under the rug. I moved the rug from its former position, so some of that floor is exposed. It is clean, but very dull. Clean is liberating. I will have him here once a month. I would rather pay someone to do it right, the 1st time. When I do it, I need someone to re-do it anyway. FF
Old 11-26-2012, 02:01 AM   #394
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
FF, having everything nice and clean and tidy, losing weight, getting a new mattress - you really are getting ready for a real" rejuvenation with your upcoming retirement. We are all getting excited right along with you. Don't have any recommendations for the mattress. We have inner springs on our bed and the guest room has 8" foam I ordered from WM. It was very reasonable. Had never heard about foam trapping body heat but it makes sense.

Tony, neutral tan are what we have always gone with too when we have purchased new carpeting in different homes. I bet the nylon blend is a real stain repeller too! Will you and the gang be painting the walls in the basement? What color on those? By the way, the eggs and bacon were very good as was the coffee. We had 10 for breakfast the warm sun was shining in the bank of windows. It was so nice.

Marilee, I plan to do a turkey soup too as soon as I get all the meat cut off the carcass. I doubt DH will eat any but I am looking forward to it. I keep reading how good bone broth is for you.

I am down a few oz today. Yay! Yesterday besides the b&e I had some pork rinds and sour cream dip, a couple of stuffed celery stalks, some lc lasagna and a bowl of turnip and butternut squash.

Hope we hear from Vicki, Jenny, Artemis and Beth today!

Have a wonderful Monday Blitzers!
Old 11-26-2012, 05:13 AM   #395
Major LCF Poster!

ff, congrats on all the cleaning you are getting done...my mom was a fanatic about cleanliness and organization and dw is way more laid back, so i am a bit schizo about it - i prfer neat and organized but not to the point of being uncomfortable, if that makes sense...

abs, we will try to paint the whole house interior this winter - colors tbd...lol...i think the rug will look nice...congrats on another loss, girl...i am so so so so proud of you...

can't wait to hear about artemis' trip to arkansas and jenny's trip to her mom's and wish we would hear from kbeth too - it's been forever!...

i'm thinking steak on the grill tonight - i haven't used the grill since surgery...we'll see!...

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 11-26-2012, 06:47 AM   #396
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.6/336.4/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 11/11/13
Good morning!

Well, I've lost 3 of the pounds I've gained over the past several weeks. 10 to go to get back to what is posted in my stats.

Tony, if someone gives you a horse as a gift, it is considered ungrateful to check its teeth. You are pointedly drawing attention to your doubts about the quality of the gift. That's where that expression came from. I'm glad you hip is doing so well that you can drive!!!!! AND, thanks for the recipe. I printed it off so I can make it LC style. That sounds like a great New Year's Day dinner.

I feel so great to be able to be back to my eating plan. Now, we just have to make it through Christmas and Hanukkah.

ff, you can come to my house and clean for me. I'll even pay you!!!! I agree with Tony...I have an innerspring mattress with a memory foam top and it is very comfortable. I also have a memory foam pillow - the one with dip in the middle to cradle your head. I haven't woken up with a neck ache once since I've had it.

Hi Abi! Hi Vicki! Hi Jen! Hi Arte! Time to get to work TTYL

Marilee
Old 11-26-2012, 07:54 AM   #397
Major LCF Poster!

hi marilee, the fact that you are 13-14 lbs down from your starting weight and back on plan is a major accomplishment!...you'll be in twoterville very soon!...thanks for the gifthorse explanation - now all i gotta do is get someone to give me a horse!...

gotta do some food shopping today... :-)
Old 11-27-2012, 02:06 AM   #398
Major LCF Poster!

Well, they let the other two temps (sisters) go on Friday. Feeling a little nervous.

Read something very interesting on a lcf thread yesterday. Have not researched it so don't know how correct it is.

Carb Congestion

The post was by Trillex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maumie View Post
I had a 2 day Thanksgiving Glutton Fest...eating more carbs than I've consumed in months, and I noticed that while I was stuffing my face, my nose started to get stuffed up. (You would think that would stop me, wouldn't you? ) I even had a hard time sleeping both nights, due to congestion. Has this happened to anyone else?

Trillex said:
"People will typically have a higher level of "catecholamines" in circulation while on a low-carb diet -- catecholamines are the fight-or-flight hormones, which include epinephrine and norepinephrine. The hormone insulin usually limits the release of catecholamines, but low-carb diets don't spur large releases of insulin so low-carb dieters typically have more catecholamines in circulation.

The catecholamines do a lot of things -- their release helps to transition the body from sleep to wakefulness in the morning, their release stimulates the heart rate and increases respiration when a person feels like they're in danger -- and increased circulation of the catecholamines also naturally widens the blood vessels to allow increased blood flow and widens the bronchi in the lungs to allow clearer respiration. So having a naturally higher level of catecholamines in circulation due to low-carb dieting could/should stimulate both clearer breathing and more vigorous circulation.

Epinephrine and norepinephrine are both very effective treatments for respiratory illnesses. In the past, these were the most common ingredients used in over-the-counter medicines to treat respiratory illnesses. But these ingredients are also commonly used to make dangerous illegal drugs -- see "Breaking Bad" -- so they're now more tightly-regulated by the FDA and are no longer sold over-the-counter. However, they are still the most effective and reliable treatments for respiratory distress so they're still commonly used although they now have to be prescribed or, in some states, the pharmacist just needs to record the purchaser's ID and dates of purchase."

So my simple mind translate this to mean eating low carb may help protect us from respiratory illnesses. What do you all know about this or think about it?

Wishing you all a great Tuesday!

Last edited by Abigale; 11-27-2012 at 02:07 AM..
Old 11-27-2012, 04:16 AM   #399
Major LCF Poster!

i think eating frankencrapcarbs like processed anything, white breads and rice - any foods stripped of their nutrients and wholesomeness messes with many of our body's normal functioning...therefore, this doesn't surprise me...i feel terrible when i eat junk carbs and i can tell there are chemicals racing through my body that are not helpful for fuel or medicine...

i think eating VLC for periods of time to jumpstart weight-loss is a positive thing, but i also believe that doing anything extreme for too long will eventually have its deleterious effects...for me, my limit on VLC is about two months - after that, i start feeling poorly in different ways, like my body is lacking certain nutrients...my kidneys ache, my heart rhythm changes, etc...

ultimately, i think a lower calorie, lower carb, lower fat, higher protein diet which includes lots of fresh veggies and whole low-glycemic-index fruit and no processed frankenfoods is the one on which i am healthiest, lose weight and feel best...

thanks for sharing ab!...suggestion; wear a fake nose and glasses at work so they don't know who you are in case they want to lay you off - congrats on surviving the first cut - that says a LOT!...i am keeping my fingers crossed!

i am sick of all food right now...can't think of a single thing i feel like eating - weird...
Old 11-27-2012, 05:01 AM   #400

Dr. Atkins believes that low carb can

cure OR ameliorate many diseases and/ or symptoms. Every period that i had stayed on plan is evidence of that. F-80 days to go-F
Old 11-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #401
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, VICKI!

I sent you an ecard - I hope you get it!!!!!
Old 11-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #402
Major LCF Poster!

VICKI!!!!!!!!!

we love you!... :-)
Old 11-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #403
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Thanks you guys for the best wishes. I am checking my email now Auntie
Old 11-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #404

have a wonderful birthday, vicki!

Of course, hanging with us is having a birthday every day of the year! FF
Old 11-28-2012, 01:41 AM   #405
Major LCF Poster!

Vicki, I hope you had a wonderful birthday! How are things going? Have you found a new wonderful job?

FF, 80 days is unbelieveable! I can remember when it was 2 years away! How the time does fly! Dr. Atkins was a man with great vision. He never deserved all the criticism. One of these days he will get the credit he was due. What are you cleaning this weekend in your apartment?

Tony, I have my glasses and fake nose ready to don. Ha Ha! You are as funny as FF is! Boy, being sick of food is strange. Hope you are not coming down with anything. That is about the only thing that will keep me from craving food.

I was up yesterday but down afew oz this morning from my low of the other day. Had lc lasagna, pork rinds, turnip, butternut squash, pearl onions and turkey yesterday. Of course my coffee with cream throughout the day and 1tb of coconut oil.

Have most of my Christmas cards sent out. Now have to find a gift for DD and get it sent to Missouri. I usually send them all money because they all know what they want and I don't have a clue. But DD does like to have some surprises under the tree and I can't blame her. I think we are all kids at heart.

Have a wonderful day Blitzers!

Last edited by Abigale; 11-28-2012 at 01:42 AM..
Old 11-28-2012, 04:45 AM   #406

i never speak of the great doctor in the past tense.

He has joined all the healing Gods. They all live in a continuous present. The house is clean. The trick now is to start minimizing, or finding places to put things. the problem with a small apartment, is that if one thing is sticking out, it looks terrible. I am putting off doing the bedroom closets until after i retire. Lots of old clothes will have to go. i cannot fit into any of them, unless I were small enough to crawl back into the womb. Maybe i will start on the clothes while I am waiting for the cable guy. (I wonder if it will be Larry)FF
Old 11-28-2012, 06:12 AM   #407
Major LCF Poster!

abs, i can't believe you have your christmas cards done!...we are usually finishing ours up AFTER christmas!...haha!...and most years i am out shopping on xmas eve, except i think i was done the day before, last year...do you usually buy your daughter clothes?...

ff, congrats on having a clean house - i am so much more relaxed when my house is clean and organized, but it isn't easy here with the kids all dragging something home as soon as we get rid of the last wave of junk...

my cabin fever is resulting in getting a lot of stuff done around here...as you know, i bought a washer (which dw LOVES), had the basement measured for a new carpet last night, the tree guy is coming to look at some trees i need to have taken down and others i need pruned, and on saturday an electrician is coming to wire in a manual transfer switch for a generator so that when we lose power we will still have hot and cold water, furnace, fridge and some lights on the first floor...i've wanted to do this for a long time as we seem to lose power so often the last several years...

all this will be done before the holidays, but we are toying with installing wood floors on the second floor and re-painting the entire house this winter...then in spring, maybe a front porch and/or a garage...i can't sit still, even when they make me sit still :-)
Old 11-28-2012, 07:31 AM   #408

i could not do it, Tony

too much work, and aggravation. I like to look at all these houses when i am walking or riding. I think what it must be like to live in these places, with a verandah in the front, and a tall shade tree in the back, and all the wonderful places inside. I never think about all the work having one's one home entails. Not in this lifetime, unless I win a humongous lotto prize, and I can afford to have it all done for me. But I came to be very fond of this little bit of paradise. F-79 days to go-F
Old 11-28-2012, 09:19 AM   #409
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning!

ff, I've seen TV programs showing how people decorate, furnish and organize their small, efficient apartments in NY. What is your square footage, if you don't mind my asking? I think it's great if a person can live minimually in a small space.

Tony, whew! You wore me out just talking about all of those things. Good luck!

Abi, really, your Christmas cards are already sent? Girl, I'm still thinking about Thanksgiving!
Old 11-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #410

i have no idea, Gibby.

I have a large living room, a large bedroom, a tiny bathroom, a tiny dinette, and the tiniest kitchen. There are trailers with larger kitchens than i have. The closets are fairly reasonable. I am clean, but cluttered. It is all about managing the space, and to know what to throw(out). I will get there. FF
Old 11-28-2012, 04:15 PM   #411

my friend from work just ordered my lc bagels for me

with the shipping chgs, 18 bagels cost me $33.85. This is why I only make 1 or 2 orders a year. It is not a ripoff really. I got 2 packs of garlic, and 1 pumpernickel. Why something with the word "nickel" in it should cost $33.85 is not logical! I hope they will arrive by the time I retire. I made a big decision. I decided to do the opposite of what I have been doing and talking about ad nauseam. What I mean is that for the next 10 days, I will be back to VLC, eating just enough to NOT be hungry. Perhaps by changing it up, every now and then, I might shock my system into reasonable weight loss. After the 10 days, I will inch my way back to 30-40 net carbs. So, my lunch was 3 oz extra sharp cheddar. My dinner will be one large rib (no bbq sauce, of course). I had no bkfst. Let us see what happens. FF
Old 11-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #412
Major LCF Poster!

ff, good luck with the new switch-up!...i think it's good to try to trick our bodies once in a while!...

well, even though you didn't ask me, marilee, i'll tell ya anyway:

we raised five kids in a pretty small house - the foundation size is 24x34 and the second floor was unfinished until after we had three kids...we all lived in the four first-floor rooms until then...small-ish eat-in kitchen, living room and two small bedrooms to start...then we added three bedrooms and a bath upstairs and that allowed us a dining room and guest room downstairs...then we finished the family room in half the basement, so i estimate that right now our total finished living space is about 1900sf, plus about 400 sf of outside deck and and 400sf of unfinished storage/laundry/furnace room space in the basement...

our two girls have bunks in one small bedroom and our boys have bunks in another small bedroom...

ribeyes on the grill tonight with steamed broccoli - really good!...i had some yogurt for breakfast and that was it for the day...i may pick a bit tonight...ran around all day today and have a meeting with a contractor at 8:30 a.m. tomorrow, so i'm a little tired tonight...didn't sleep too well last night for some reason - woke up at 3 and couldn't get back to sleep...i feel fine, but i probably need a little more rest than i'm allowing myself so i'm gonna take it easy tonight!...

hope everyone else is having a great hump-day!

Last edited by tony8; 11-28-2012 at 04:19 PM..
Old 11-29-2012, 01:55 AM   #413
Major LCF Poster!

Tony, if I had known you were up at 3am we could have had coffee together. lol Your house situation reminded me of our set up at Mom's house when we were all living under one roof. Bunk beds for one of my sister's and me and bunkbeds for my two brothers. You just make do with the space you have. Those rib eyes are making me hungry. It's been way too long since we have cooked out steaks!

FF, I agree with you and Tony. Sometimes it really works to switch things up and confuse our bodies. It gets them jump started. Enjoy those bagels. Love the flavor of pumpernickle!

I guess I have been granted a reprieve for this week anyway. They are behind in one dept. and asked me to work one hour overtime last night and the next two nights and then all day Saturday. I said I would like to if I was allowed as a temp to do it. Always before they wouldn't let the temps in on the overtime. They came back and said it was ok. This will make up for only gettling paid for 2 days last week.

Yesterday I had my lc lasagna, pork rinds and sour cream dip. Coffee with cream and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.

Marilee, after living in a small condo in Alabama for 10 years, I have always been fascinated with those shows that feature the tiny living spaces and how they make them work. I think some places were only 500 square feet. One I especially remember was in a place that had real high ceilings. they built a raised platform to be used as the "bedroom". and below it you could stand up straight and it was a little office area.

Well, I better post this before they kick me off the site. This is happening almost every day now and I can't get back on for 5 or 10 minutes!

Have a wonderful and successful Thursday Blitzers!

Last edited by Abigale; 11-29-2012 at 01:56 AM..
Old 11-29-2012, 06:20 AM   #414
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artemis19
Stats: lost 125 lbs (size 22W to 4)/8/6
WOE: LC my way/calorie and carb cycling
Start Date: off and on since 2004
I am around, just busy as usual. Thanksgiving was great. As soon as I got there, my parents said my favorite three words, "you've lost weight!". I am looking forward to seeing them a lot more through the holidays. After that, it could be months before I see them again because I so hate driving in cold and snow! Next Friday is my B-day so I am taking the day off as most of the people in the lab will be gone to a conference anyways. I am trying to stay super strict until then so that I can splurge on that day. I tried on a pair of pants when I was packing for TG last week that came really close to fitting. A few months ago I couldn't get them past my hips (curvy girls know where I'm coming from ) so I am making a lot of progress. So, I set my goal to get back into them and a few more pair by Christmas but I may be pushing it. Fitting into all the pants in my closet is going to feel so great!
Old 11-29-2012, 11:02 AM   #415
Major LCF Poster!

artemis, so happy you had a nice visit with your family - and congrats on the pants...btw, curvy women are the most attractive women ;-)

abs, you OBVIOUSLY have done a great job to have outlasted the other temps...i so hope they offer you a permanent job sometime soon...i woke up again at 2 a.m. last night but was able to fall back to sleep...

i was out running around all day today...my son thinks i need to slow down so i am going to try to relax on the couch for a couple of hours...met with the electrician at work and then went to a garden center to buy holiday decorations for the building - 300-ft of balsam fir roping for the posts and beams in front, a 6-foot wreath and bow to hang on the facade, and fir boughs and red berries to decorate the window boxes...it should look really nice when we are done...

had a banana for breakfast and roast beef sandwich fillings for lunch...chicken parm and stuffed shells for dinner...

have a great day kids!
Old 11-29-2012, 12:44 PM   #416
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony8 View Post
artemis, so happy you had a nice visit with your family - and congrats on the pants...btw, curvy women are the most attractive women ;-)
Then I must be the most beautiful woman in the whole wide (pun intended) world!
Old 11-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #417
Major LCF Poster!

ooo la la! :-)
Old 11-29-2012, 05:24 PM   #418
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artemis19
Stats: lost 125 lbs (size 22W to 4)/8/6
WOE: LC my way/calorie and carb cycling
Start Date: off and on since 2004
Ha ha glad you think so Tony! If only all men felt that way! And Gibby I am right there with ya girl! Even when I was so "skinny" that you could literally count every rib and vertebra down my back, I was still very curvy! It was at that point that I realized that you can't lose weight out of your skeletal structure and you really do have to work with your shape. At this point in my life I am comfortable with my curves...it's the lumps in between that I'd like to get rid of!

I made some cinnamon roasted pecans tonight and they were so good! I used Splenda of course, I was not sure how that would work. Two thumbs up!
Old 11-29-2012, 05:43 PM   #419
Major LCF Poster!

i LOVE cinnamon roasted anything!...yummy :-)
Old 11-30-2012, 02:34 AM   #420
Major LCF Poster!

Where was FF yesterday? FF, hope you are not sick! We worry about you, you know!

Artemis, good going on the pants almost fitting. I bet in a couple of weeks they will be just right. The cinnamon roasted pecans sounded so good!

Marilee, you are very beautiful! We have all seen your photo!

Tony, your son is very wise to notice you are overdoing it. Glad you are taking his advice and resting in between your marathon shopping and decorating. Now it is your turn to post a picture of your building all decorated!

I am in a holding pattern right now with weight. Up afew oz - down afew oz. Like Tony says, maintaining is always a good temporary goal. As long as I keep my woe along the path I am on the weight will start to move on down again.

Yesterday I had the last of recent batch of lc lasagna, pork rinds with sour cream dip, some turkey, coffee with cream and 1tb of coconut oil. Today will be free lunch. Maybe wraps. I just eat the innards and throw the wrap away.

Need to get some stuff done around the house before I head out to work.

Have a great Friday all!
Closed Thread