Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 09:33 AM   #271
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
It's my daughter's real birthday today (we had her party on Saturday) and I'm going to take her swimming, we went rollerskating yesterday with her Dad, so she's having quite the fun! I didn't release any weight this morning but I'm not surprised cuz I had a big drop yesterday. I'm just keeping to plan and trying to move and drink alot of water and it seems to be working like a charm! I have just over a week to go until I'm done with my round and I'm sure it will speed by.

I asked my daughter what she wanted for dinner tonight and she asked for lamb chops and a special salad I make with lettuce greens, feta cheese/parsley/lemon juice etc. (she calls it Mother-Daughter Salad because we made up the recipe together.) Boy, she's going to be an expensive date! But, I'm glad that's what she likes because it's so healthy. Alot of kids would ask for pizza or something...

Well off to do the dishes-yuk I hate dishes and I cook alot which makes a ton of dishes, oh well!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #272
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/236.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
hey abs, i lie on my back on the couch and put a pillow between my legs...they gave me a big foam device i could strap my legs in if i need it, but i really don't...i have always woken up and consciously changed position when i needed to during sleep...

ff, sorry about your feet, but your body is simply telling you it needs some rest...sounds like you have a nice alternative schedule of events planned...

hey jenny, that is so cute about the salad and you should be proud of your daughter for desiring healthy food - you should also be proud of yourself for teaching her the right nutritional values...that is a gift she will keep for the rest of her life...

had two eggs, some greek yogurt with blueberries and a whole wheat english muffin for breakfast and a five guys burger for lunch with bacon, grilled onions, mushrooms and jalapenos...dw is making spaghetti for dinner, but i am not hungry at all...

almost had a disaster this morning when i went out for a walk - my hand slipped on the wet handrail going down the stairs and my weight fell on my surgical hip - felt a funny sensation in the leg but no pain and i was able to complete my walk fine...

pt came in this afternoon and thinks i'm doing great - gave me some exercises to do - they will come 4 times this week and then twice a week after that...i am on only "partial weight bearing" precautions (50% or less on leg) as opposed to "weight bearing as tolerated", so i have to cut back on what i've been doing - my doc is just super-conservative but he's good so i'm gonna follow his rules :-)

hope everyone is having a great day!...

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185

Last edited by tony8; 11-12-2012 at 03:37 PM..
Old 11-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #273
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Tony, holy cow you are home already?? What a recovery. Will post more later.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:08 AM   #274
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Jenny, you are such a good mother for teaching your daughter how to eat healthy. That salad combination sounded so good. Love feta cheese! I hate to do dishes too! We have a dishwasher but I don't like the sound of it running and think it is a waste of water so have only used 3 times in the last 4 years we have lived here.

Tony, glad the mishap did not cause any damage. I can see now how you manage not to roll over during the night while you are sound asleep. I knew you would do well on your pt.

Vicki, found any tricks to get remotivated. My most recent motivation came when I saw I was the highest weight I had been in 2 years. At this point I am not even stressing about Thanksgiving. I may change my tune when I see what everyone brings to the table.

FF, back to work for you today? It is raining cats and dogs right now at our house but the temps are on the mild side - 53 at 5am! This won't last. Your cool temperatures will be back with a vengeance very soon!

Still in ketosis and down 2oz this morning. Yesterday I had lc lasagna. My picky DH had some and liked it too. He felt it had too much ground beef and not enough spinach so I may tweak it next time around. I am surprised that the spinach is not kicking me out of ketosis but it isn't. Also had afew pork skins with sour cream dip, coffee with cream, 1 tbl of coconut oil, and a glass of diet soda.

Have a great Tuesday Blitzers!

Last edited by Abigale; 11-13-2012 at 02:10 AM..
Old 11-13-2012, 04:27 AM   #275
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
i just lost a large thread i was writing.

so, i just hope everyone is poised to keep on plan. Just remember, when you are about to dis-engage, stop in your tracks, and pick a delicious on-plan alternative. I shall not be judgemental about Christmas Dinner itself, because even i will not be able to stay within the limits i set for myself. However, 1 meal itself will not undo me. The big trick is to limit it to that one meal. F-3 months 2 days to go-F
Old 11-13-2012, 04:29 AM   #276
Major LCF Poster!

abi, i am so so proud of you for doing as well as you have getting back on track!...a lot of folks get discouraged when they hit a higher weight, but you got motivated!...and your regular, steady losses are the best and healthiest way to get where you want to go...and i have no doubt you will get there...have a great day at the wax museum...

yup, vick, i'm home...dw went back to work today and although my boys are in and out, i am primarily on my own today...my son welded a contraption and mounted it over the couch...it has a handle and i can use it to raise myself up without putting too much stress on my hip...he's so cute...

waiting for my in-home pt this morning which will take place around 8 a.m....i am able to shave, wash and dress myself which i am happy about, so i am all set!

had an hb egg for breakfast with some water and will have some leftover steak bomb filling for lunch...not sure about dinner...

i'll check back later...have a great day kids!
Old 11-13-2012, 06:38 AM   #277
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artemis19
Stats: lost 125 lbs (size 22W to 4)/8/6
WOE: LC my way/calorie and carb cycling
Start Date: off and on since 2004
Another 13 hour day for me yesterday so I crashed on the couch and fell asleep when I got home. Not happy about missing my workout last night though. Determined to get it done tonight no matter how late it is! I have been eating very similar things every day because I already have the cals, protein, fat, and carbs calculated for those things so it's just easier with such a hectic schedule. Before I forget, I made a really good LC dessert this weekend. It's super easy and I think some of you might enjoy. I found it online but not sure if I'm supposed to post the link so I'll copy/paste the recipe below.
Glad to hear that you are all doing well. Especially you Tony! Wishing you a speedy recovery

Jell-O Whip

1 small package sugar free Jell-O (any flavor)
1/2 cup boiling water
4 ice cubes
8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature and cut into cubes
4 tablespoons heavy or whipping cream (I bet you could use sugar free cool whip if you wanted to)

Dissolve the Jell-O completely in the boiling water, then add the ice cubes to cool it down and to thicken it. When the ice cubes are melted, pour the gelatin mixture in the blender and add the cutup cream cheese. Whirl it around until the ingredients are completely blended. Pour the mixture into a mixing bowl. Whip the four ounces of cream, then fold it into the cream cheese mixture. Divide the mixture into 5 equal portions, cover each with plastic wrap, and put them in the refrigerator to chill.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:10 AM   #278
Major LCF Poster!

artemis, that sounds delicious!...thanks for sharing the recipe and thanks for the well-wishes :-) it's SO nice to have you back! :-)

ff, i agree that holiday dinners should be "free zones" - not that we have to force ourselves to eat EVERYTHING, but i think we should allow ourselves to have whatever we want on those days...i've been pretty good at limiting damage to the one day and not gorging on leftovers on subsequent days...that holds true for planned indulgences as well...

had a few cubes of cantaloup and honeydew as a snack this morning and still am planning on the steak sandwich filling for lunch...

hope everyone's having a great tuesday!
Old 11-13-2012, 07:33 AM   #279

Tony, so happy about your progress.

your son is very good with his hands. I wonder if he can build a Ferenghi female android? He should be able to refer to Dr Nunyen Soongh's schematics regarding her positronic neural net. But it is most important that her lobes be smaller than mine were. Female lobes ARE smallerthan ours. Also females are not permitted to wear clothes on the home world. they are also not permitted to engage in business. However, living on earth as long as I have, I will bend regarding the latter parameter. what are your(plural) TG plans this year? I am keeping mine as minimalistic as possible regarding cooking. Artemis, I think the 13 hour day is more than enough of a workout. When i did go to the gym, they told me 4 days a week was plenty. Please do not overdo it for the sake of good health. In general, let us all maintain a sensible plan. too much sacrifice will cause a rebound that will make it very difficult from which to recover.I speak from experience. FF
Old 11-13-2012, 08:10 AM   #280
Major LCF Poster!

hey ff, just planning to stay home - sarah is flying in on wednesday and out on friday, but she will be here on TG and that is making all of us VERY happy...she wasn't home last year for the first time ever...one of my friends is joining us and we may have a few more folks too...

we may try to get to nashville sometime around christmas, depending on what kind of traveling i can do...

i'll ask my son about the female Ferenghi android...does she have to be anatomically correct?...not sure he can pull that off, and if he can, not sure he'd give her up!... :-)
Old 11-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #281

not give her up?

just inform your son that I have allies among the Klingons, and the
Cardassians, as well as some Ferenghi who were assimilated by the Borg. and yes, anatomically correct. otherwise, why bother? I will have quite a serene TG (barring the unforeseen). My fave salad/veggie bar may have been compromised by Sandy. I will call them up a few days before. In the event, they are not in business, there will no trouble sauteing or grilling some veggies. Also, if i have to rely on my own macchinations, I will make my TROLL SLAW, instead of making a salad. the slaw is less effort to assemble, and less expensive. If there is no precipitation, I want to get out of the house for a few hours. I will have the opportunity of playing my fave movies that we used to watch on TG as kids, namely the original King Kong, Son of Kong, Mighty Joe Young, and the March of the Wooden Soldiers. i will also watch the entire BBC/HBO extravaganza ROME. all of this cannot be accomplished in one day of course. It will require the entire weekend. I mifght actually forget to eat...NOT!!! FF
Old 11-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #282
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.6/336.4/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 11/11/13
Just popping in so you won't worry about me.

I need to get caught up on posts......

TTYL
Old 11-13-2012, 03:24 PM   #283
Major LCF Poster!

We won't ever give up on you Marilee!
Old 11-13-2012, 06:10 PM   #284
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Tony, ok, what is a steak bomb?

Artemis, yum, I have made something like that and it settles my sweet tooth. After putting in a long day who wouldn't want to veg out.

Abi, no, haven't found anything to remotivate me yet. I wish there were.

Gibby, glad you popped in.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:08 AM   #285
Major LCF Poster!

Still in ketosis and down several more ounces. Had lc lasagna yesterday, a few pork skins, a large salad with 2 tbl of blue cheese dressing, coffee with cream, 1 tbl of coconut oil, and one glass of diet soda.

I just read on facebook this morning that the man who started YC and whose son started the company I work for( KC ) had a stroke yesterday. They have taken him to Boston and have not given any details about his condition. He is a big support to his son who is only 22. Certainly hope he will come back from this.

Vicki, I was wondering about Tony's steak bomb too!

FF, you have a really enjoyable TG weekend planned. Half the fun is just thinking about it.

Tony, wonderful that Sarah can fly home for TG and your whole family will be together!

Artemis, your jello concoction sounds very yummy. When I get to maintenance I will have to try it. For now, I am trying very hard to stay away from low carb sweets and baked goods. Keeping simple and clean eating is helping more day by day to getting stronger in staying on track. How long will you have to put up with 13 hour days? Sooner or later will you be on a normal schedule?

Marilee, have you been able to get back on your mf plan yet?

Hey Jenny!

Hope you all have a wonderful Wed!
Old 11-14-2012, 03:37 AM   #286
Major LCF Poster!

hey guys, happy to see y'all posting and feeling well...

hey lucy, i hope the owner/father recovers soon - sheesh, i feel like i jinxed him the other day...congrats on continuing to lose weight - you're getting healthier by the minute! :-)

okay, vicki and abs, a steak bomb varies a bit place to place, but the one i got the other day consisted of shaved steak, chopped peppers, onions, salami, provolone cheese - all grilled together and stuffed in a whole wheat sub roll...i'm sure you've had 'em by some other name...

hey marilee, spend some time with us when you're not so busy - i miss you!

i feel like i'm getting a little better every day...not taking any pain meds - not even tylenol, sleeping fine and eating well...getting around a little easier too...my son took me out to buy some risers for the couch legs which lifted it up 5 inches and made it easier for me to get on and off...the pain is muscle and incision and not bony joint pain, which i consider an improvement...

the pt is coming out today, but i don't know what time yet...i'll check back later... :-)
Old 11-14-2012, 04:18 AM   #287

I am so ecstatic, Tony, at your continued progress.

If this procedure had taken place ten years ago, you probably would be spending more time in the hospital. Timing is everything. Speaking of timing, I got some solid sack time as well. I got my lc bread. Took 4 slices to work, but not gonna touch it yet. i forgot to bring my cheese. Gonna have my nova scotia lox with cream cheese, 1 thin slice extra sharp cheddar (not Kraft this time, but SHOPRITE)tomato, some onion, and a little lettuce for color contrast. there is enough in the package for 3 sandwiches (it is a 3 oz pack.)It was not easy getting it from those gnarly Alaskan bears. The countdown continues! F-3 months & 1 day to go-F
Old 11-14-2012, 06:35 AM   #288
Senior LCF Member

Abi, I got that recipe from a site for atkins fat fast so I am positive that it is induction level carbs if you ever want to try it. But I know what you mean about clean eating to stay on track. Sometimes too many LC treats can lead one down a path of eating not so LC treats! Glad you found something that is working for ya! Luckily for me, I live alone so there really isn't anything around to tempt me and for now at least, eating one serving daily takes care of my late night sweet tooth (most likely induced by stress) when I come home from work. The 13 hour days will last at least through the rest of this week and maybe through the rest of the year. Such is the nature of research...
So what are you guys having on TG next week? I am going home yay! I can't wait for it. I so need a break for a couple of days!
Glad everyone is on track. Have a good rest of the week if I don't have a chance to check in
Old 11-14-2012, 07:33 AM   #289

OMGs, Artemis, it is NEXT week!!!

I better get my turkey breast this weekend. It is gonna be a nuthouse in the SHOPRITE, probably just as bad as the day before hurricanes Irene & Sandy. Hope u get a chance to unwind when you are at home. FF
Old 11-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #290
Major LCF Poster!

artemis, so happy you will be heading home to arkansas for the holiday...i KNOW how much your family is missing you :-) how many days will you spend there?...

ff, yesterday it was an anatomically-correct female android and today all you're talking about are breasts - get your mind out of the gutter, bro!

son drove me to the butcher shop and i picked up a small, boneless prime rib roast - gonna make it for dinner as i am craving red meat...

the pt told me that she thinks i will be on the surgeon's partial weight-bearing restrictions until i go back to see him on december 14th - sheesh - not because i'm not physically ready to do much more, which i am, but because she thinks he must be worried i will break the bone if i put full weight on it...this is gonna slow my recovery waaaay down...i guess it is what it is...

hope everyone else is doing GREAT today! :-)
Old 11-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #291

Don't rush it, Tony

these people know what they are doing. Allow yourself some "unwinding" time. Catch a dvd like Rochelle, Rochelle (a young woman's strange erotic journey from Milan to Minsk). Yes, I like it down here. I got a prescription for lidocaine ointment for my plantar fascitiis on my left heel. I want to do some major walking w/o left heel pain. Incredibly, I am stuffed, having consumed only a small order of ribs, and a small order of shrimp, broc, snow peas, and mushrooms with all the ATKINS caveats. I still have a large order, which I will spread over 2 evenings. FF
Old 11-14-2012, 06:02 PM   #292
Major LCF Poster!

you're right, ff, patience just isn't one of my virtues :-) i'm working on it...

the prime rib was DELICIOUS!...i wish you were all here to have a slice...

hope y'all are having a great hump day ;-)
Old 11-15-2012, 02:03 AM   #293
Major LCF Poster!

Artemis, glad you are going home for TG for a well deserved rest. At this point I will definately eat turkey, cran sauce, turnip, butternut squash, some of my sister's aparagus casserole and will pick around the stuffing in it, stuffed celery, black olives, green salad and after that I will try to resist even tasting anything that might set me off again.

What if everyone else having?

They moved me to the labeling dept. for the day yesterday from production. Don't know if it is a temp move or not. Mr. K had a set back from the stroke and had to have surgery to remove pressure on the brain. I have never met him but have seen photos. They say he is only in his 60's.

Tony, patience is truly a virtue. A month of being super careful will be worth it in the end. Yum on the prime rib!

Artemis, here is a recipe I am also saving for when I get to maintenance. Someone posted it from Linda Sue's low carb recipe site.

Swiss Miss Mousse

-1 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 1 envelope of diet (NOT sugar free, but diet) Swiss Miss
Using mixer, whip together until it turns to whip cream.
Try not to eat whole bowl at one sitting.
Makes 4 servings:

Per Serving: 218 Calories; 22g Fat; 2g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

I think if you froze this mousse it might taste like chocolate ice cream!

Have a great day all!

Last edited by Abigale; 11-15-2012 at 02:05 AM..
Old 11-15-2012, 04:19 AM   #294

i am so looking forward to TG weekend.

Except for Fri, Nov 23, which i voluntarily gave back the pre-approved vacation day (cause i was not going to NJ after all), I am off from next wed, through the following Mon 11/26/12. Lots of DVDs to catch up on, as well as vinyls, and barring rain, some walking, if the lidocaine ointment really works. Apart from the turkey breast, i am making my now legendary TROLL SLAW, and a melange of sauted or grilled veggies. I will experiment, this weekend, with making jicama latkes, and pumpkin mousse dessert. I will withold the artificial sweetener, as i suspect the cinnamon and pumpkin spice will suffice. I dream of a time when a I can host a lc TG with as many of us Blitzers as possible at the table. Wouldn't that be nice! FF
Old 11-15-2012, 06:15 AM   #295
Senior LCF Member

Woke up not feeling very well this morning. Think I am just overly tired. But, something interesting did happen yesterday. I have never been one of those people who gets the extremely dark colors on the keto sticks (even with eating vlc, essentially eggs and meat). But, since I have increased my fat intake, I thought I would try again out of curiosity. So I did yesterday morning and it was the faintest of pinks as usual. I had read on many of the posts that those things vary greatly depending on the time of day you use them as well as the chemicals in what you've eaten (i.e. they aren't that accurate!). So I tried again last night and it was very dark pink...somewhere between small and moderate. I've never seen that color before so it was kind of exciting. It kind of makes sense when you think about it that it would be lighter first thing in the morning because you have been sleeping and not moving around or eating. Of course, with such variability I can't be sure that this means that I'm actually in stronger ketosis, or that I will lose weight any faster, but I thought it was worth mentioning in case any of you are using the sticks. You might want to experiment with the time of day in which you are using them.

Abi, thanks so much for sharing the recipe! Regarding the note about not eating it all at once, one of the tricks I use for myself with something like this is to portion it out into individual servings (I have some really cute custard cups) instead of leaving it in one big bowl. That way, I am less likely to eat more than one serving.

I get Thurs thru Sunday off to be with my family so I"m quite excited. I will be filling up on turkey and some LC sides. I'll have to see what my grandma and mom are making and then I'll pick out some other LC dishes to make. But, my mom is pretty awesome about having things I can eat.

Hope you all have a great day!
Old 11-15-2012, 07:38 AM   #296

when i was young, and doing ATKINS '72...

my ketostix were turning a delightfully dark shade of purple. In the '80s through the dawn of the 21st century, they were not turning color at all. so, i saved my $, and continued losing w/o them. the scale (once a week on the average)is my ketostick. why am i still morbidly obese after all these years? Because I cheated too damned often. I hope I have now learned the right way (for me)to eat. FF
Old 11-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #297
Major LCF Poster!

ff: atkins '72???...was there such a thing back then?...that was 50 years ago!...

i am resigning myself to the slower pace of progress...the nurse came today and says i'm perfectly healthy and everything looks great...i've done two of my three daily pt exercise sessions so far...

artemis, congrats on the ketosis - i've never had much luck with the stix and don't use 'em anymore...i think they're still layin around here somewhere...your tg sounds like it will be lovely...how is your grandmother feeling - she was ill last year, wasn't she?...

abs, they would have to keep me OUT of the labeling dept - can you imagine what i would be writing on those jars??? hahaha!

today, so far:
b: small piece of baked chicken
s: 6 oz. greek yogurt with blueberries
l: maybe buffalo wings
d: leftovers and maybe tuna salad
Old 11-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #298

yes, his 1st book was published in 1972.

i joined the bandwagon in 1978 i believe. a person with whom i was working, had (what i found out soon after)appalling ketobreath. anyway, he was dropping weight chunks at a time. so, during the dinner break i let him tell me about it. then, i bought the book and the rest is history. the sad part is that i was always too easily tempted. So, i had always put it all back. I am hoping I learned good eating habits. btw, i have a brand new at work computer, as of 5 minutes ago. i doubt if the cia has more up-to-date technology. I just may scrap my retirement plans, and continue another 30 years. also, if they ever fix the bathroom next to my office, maybe 60 years. F-3 months to go-F
Old 11-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #299
Major LCF Poster!

i predict they are gonna have to drag you outta there kicking and screaming! :-)
Old 11-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #300
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.6/336.4/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 11/11/13
Hi everyone! You all have so much news and I have nothing to report, ergo the lack of posts.

I've enjoyed all of your musings and thoughts. Welcome back, Arte!

I haven't lost but gained a couple. I will be extremely grateful if I can maintain for the next several weeks.

I'm glad to see that everyone else is on track and losing or getting back on the horse.

Tony, I completely understand what you are saying about taking care of our bodies and making wise choices. That is what it boils down to, isn't it - choices. Boy, I've made some bad ones, but I've also made some very good ones.

Let's all make good choices today.

TTYL

Marilee
Closed Thread