Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #31
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewstate View Post
Weight this morning 164.8, really looking to get back to my siggy weight this week. I'm trying to keep everything really low carb but of course that tanks my hunger so then nothing sounds good (who can tell I'm a sugar addict?). So any delicious ideas for LC food would be welcome.
Zipp no matter what you weigh I'm sure your cruise is going to be awesome, but it would be even better at 162, no?
Have you looked at Linda Sue's website at all? I love her recipes.
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2012, 09:16 AM   #32
Big Yapper!!!!

Anna - way to go girl! All that baking and no eating! YOU ARE A ROCK!
Old 09-24-2012, 10:01 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: misscobi
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 3/03 originally
Thanks Elise! Man I eat such boring food... deviled eggs are prob my favorite right now, anything sauteed in butter, coconut oil & peanut or almond butter melted & mixed together & then thrown in freezer til hard.... ummm... yeah.... boring, but works

Thanks Anna! Congrats on another new low! WooHoo! Great job with the baking & not being tempted, too!
misscobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:08 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: boop13
Stats: 246/179.4/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: restarted Feb 23/12
Anna- I saw that was your goal also! So I decided if u could do it so can I!!!
Now my weigh in today was up a bit. Lack of water yesterday for sure. We went to the zoo and walked a fair but. But I find it a lot harder to get my water in now that the weather has turned... Anyone have any tips for that?!
boop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:05 AM   #35
Big Yapper!!!!

I always have a jug of 32oz of water with me. I drink it down, refill and start on another!
Old 09-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: anna_banana
Stats: 170/140.9/120 (5'4")
WOE: Doing my own LC (currently less than 20/day)...
Start Date: July 2012
Thanks Tami and Monica!

Tami - I eat quite simply too, mainly because I find it easier to stick to my carb limit (currently less than 20 net) if I eat simple, unprocessed food. I eat all sorts of eggs (poached, boiled, scrambled, omelet, fried) as well as canned fish (salmon, tuna and sardine). I also like cooking fish in my toaster oven (takes less than 20 mins, tops) or roasting a whole chicken and eating that over a few days.

boop13
- we're in this together!! With re. water, I do the same as Monica - I have a 32 fl oz bottle with me which I refill at least 4 times every day. Which means I drink 32 in the morning along with my coffee (most of it while I'm swallowing my vitamin and other pills), and another 32-64 between lunch and dinner, and another 32-64 during dinner and in the evening. I have friends who drink fizzy (carbonated but no flavour) water instead of regular tap water, I also have friends who add crystal light (if you're into that sort of thing and if you're okay with artificial sweeteners) to their water. Every sip helps! I also drink tea and hot water with lemon.

Sometimes I drink the entire bottle in one sitting and then when I walk around I can hear the water sloshing about in my stomach - weird!

Anna
Goal 3: 155 lbs - July 31 2012!!
Goal 4: 150 lbs - August 28 2012!!
Goal 5: 145 lbs - September 18 2012!!
Goal 6: 140 lbs by October 18 2012
Goal 7: 135 lbs by November 18 2012

anna_banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #37
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sheri81428
Start Date: January 2003
Hello all - I just found lowcarbfriends and the message boards. I've been eating low carb on/off since '03 when I was 190 and lost 45lbs on it. I'm now at 152 with having taken off 8lbs since 8/26 and am heading for my goal weight of 130. I'm excited to have found an active, supportive group and look forward to getting to know you all. :-)
sheri81428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lynne2u
Stats: 245/173/120
Sheri, hi, and

Tami, congrats on leaving 220 behind! Way to start the losses rolling!!

Since you're a deviled egg person, I have to share what I discovered last week: chinese five spice is awesome with eggs. I tried it in scrambled (kind of an accident, actually) but I'll bet it would be GREAT in deviled eggs.

LCL, the good thing about bouncing UP at the beginning of the challenge is that you'll bounce DOWN pretty quick, too! 150's here you come!!

Anna, that is so great to be able to do all that baking and not NEED to eat the cakes. There's something wonderful about that freedom. Priceless.

JUDDD is pretty cool, but I wonder if I'd be able to do it if I didn't have a solid foundation in LC first? I'm a sugar/carb addict, too. You're learning what all of us with sugar/carb issues are learning, which is that carbs can be used as kind of a thermostat to manage hunger. LC foods are different choices than high carb foods, so it takes a little time for LC choices to become "normal".

For example, I pretty much never want pasta and garlic bread today. A few years ago, pasta and garlic bread was "normal" food. If I happen to have pasta and garlic bread today, it's shruggable. I'll probably prefer a chicken salad.

It takes time for the preferences to adjust, especially when you want comfort food, like tuna casserole or mac and cheese. I prefer my LC versions of these to the original, and that's my "go-to" recipe, though JUDDD allows me to do the original if I want.

My point is that it took several years of LC-ing to retrain my preferences, and that was time well spent as far as I'm concerned. Sorry to write a novel on this topic, I'm done now.

Brew, the LC food I could eat every day is Joe's special, AKA crackslaw. Hamburger, onions, garlic, and cabbage or cole slaw mix (sauced with: ketchup/vinegar/creole seasoning) in a skillet. It's the LC version of hamburger helper, right? A little sour cream on top afterwards.

I can't get enough of it, for some reason, especially when the weather turns chilly.

I made curried pumpkin soup last night with cream cheese in it.

Zipp, good on ya, staying on course over the weekend!!

Boop, I struggle with the water thing, too. I'm going to try drinking herbal tea with a few ice cubes, not enough to make it really cold but just cool enough to be chuggable. We'll see how it goes.

A couple of the seasonal herbal teas are really yummy as (semi) iced tea, like the gingerbread spice and the ginger snappish.

DD for me, which means another all-day chocolate fest! Poor, poor me.

Lynne

P.S. No weight change, but my most unforgiving skinny jeans are roomy, even straight out of the dryer.

500/2000 until the end of the challenge with NO TWEAKS.

Reality is still the boss, after all these years.
lynne2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:56 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome, Sheri!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna_banana View Post
Tami - I eat quite simply too, mainly because I find it easier to stick to my carb limit (currently less than 20 net) if I eat simple, unprocessed food. I eat all sorts of eggs (poached, boiled, scrambled, omelet, fried) as well as canned fish (salmon, tuna and sardine). I also like cooking fish in my toaster oven (takes less than 20 mins, tops) or roasting a whole chicken and eating that over a few days.
Funny. I had canned tuna for lunch today We do large quantities of chicken to last a few days as well. What I've been doing all summer is buying a huge pack of breasts & a huge pack of thighs and having hubby grill them all at once. We have some that night & then leftovers for a day or two and the rest gets portioned into individual servings & thrown in the freezer. Frozen slices of chicken breast take no time to thaw and are so easy to toss over a salad without paying for the pre-cooked version at the store

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynne2u View Post
Tami, congrats on leaving 220 behind! Way to start the losses rolling!!

Since you're a deviled egg person, I have to share what I discovered last week: chinese five spice is awesome with eggs. I tried it in scrambled (kind of an accident, actually) but I'll bet it would be GREAT in deviled eggs.
Thanks Lynne! I'll have to keep my eyes open for the chinese five spice! Great job on those skinny jeans!!!

Boop, I try to keep a full 24oz cup next to me all the time and sip it all day long. What really made it easier was adding just a little Mio, but I've abandoned my Mio obsession lately trying to figure out what was slowing my weight loss. No drastic changes yet, but the scale is moving, so.... who knows... I do love the darned stuff, but it's plain old boring water for now.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:44 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brewstate
Stats: 238/152/129
WOE: LC JUDDD (started at 190)
Start Date: April 15, 2009
Sheri to our wonderful little group.

Lynne I would take roomy pants over scale victories any day. I just bought some five spice and had no clue what to do with it. I'll have to try it on eggs.

Misscobi I abandoned AS for a while and it helped with a stall. I've since added it back and it doesn't bother me anymore. Weird

Anna I love that love carb keeps us away from all the processed stuff that is so bad for health. Its so easy to eat simply when you can't eat half the food in the grocery store I may try to get under 20 carbs a day again and see if that jumpstarts me.

I posted this on juddd but thought I would put it here too.

I just realized that as of today between LC and JUDDD I have lost 75 pounds (I started at 238 right after the birth of my first child) It's taken a couple years but I'm the lowest weight since I was about 14 years old. I went from tight size 20/22's to 10/12 and I buttoned and zipped a pair of 8's the other day.

Also my husband who is doing JUDDD with me (non-low carb at that) just dipped into the 250's which means he has lost a little over 100 pounds total

You can do it guys! It does take time and effort and weight loss doesn't always fall along our set timelines but if you continue to work, you will get there.

Last edited by brewstate; 09-25-2012 at 06:50 AM..
brewstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:01 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I just realized that as of today between LC and JUDDD I have lost 75 pounds (I started at 238 right after the birth of my first child) It's taken a couple years but I'm the lowest weight since I was about 14 years old. I went from tight size 20/22's to 10/12 and I buttoned and zipped a pair of 8's the other day.

Also my husband who is doing JUDDD with me (non-low carb at that) just dipped into the 250's which means he has lost a little over 100 pounds total

Love Love Love it, Elise!!! Man, there is just nothing better and no matter how long it takes, it's so worth it. Huge kudos to you and your husband!

The AS thing is weird. It never bothered me before, so I'm really not sure if it's coincidental or not. And guess what hubby brought back from the store last night... more Mio. lol. I'm still going to stick to water throughout the day and maybe have a glass of lemonade in the evenings? Or maybe not
Old 09-25-2012, 07:02 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

btw, no change for me this morning, but that needle did not go over 220, so I'm a happy girl That's one thing that seems pretty consistent since giving up Mio is that I don't have the drastic bounces I was having. Again, could be purely coincidence? Who knows... I am still having some AS in my coffee, but I've changed from having half & half or heavy cream with Sweet n'Low to the SF coffee creamer, which I had used with success in previous attempts.

Last edited by misscobi; 09-25-2012 at 07:04 AM..
Old 09-25-2012, 08:57 AM   #43
Big Yapper!!!!

Anna - I too can hear the water inside my belly area sloshing around! FUNNY!

Sheri - welcome to our group!

Lynne - I bet you are right about getting things under control before JUDDD.

Tami - you are doing so well. Your food plan sounds like it is just what you needed.

Elise - I stated in JUDDD, you are just doing AMAZING!!!!!!!

Yesterday was a good UD. It was a bit on the higher side. I came home from work and immediately started cleaning house. We were all doing something. Dinner was delayed and by the time we sat down to eat...I was BEYOND hungry. NEVER GOOD! I lost a bit of control and ate more than I planned. Today's DD has been going really well so far! That I like!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ourney-71.html
Old 09-25-2012, 09:27 AM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Monica... I'm all about whatever works Glad your DD is going well!
Old 09-25-2012, 09:32 AM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Anna I love that love carb keeps us away from all the processed stuff that is so bad for health. Its so easy to eat simply when you can't eat half the food in the grocery store
That's very true. I have to wonder if some of the "gluten-free" movement today is actually code for "don't want to eat that processed garbage anymore, and don't want to argue about it". Low-carb was too heretical for some, but "gluten-free" was okay.

Quote:

You can do it guys! It does take time and effort and weight loss doesn't always fall along our set timelines but if you continue to work, you will get there.
Wow, just wow. There's so much amazing in those paragraphs. Thanks for bringing it here for those of us who don't get over to JUDDD as often as we'd like.

You are getting a new lease on life, and doing what a lot of people have agreed is practically impossible. And how? Not through some get-skinny-quick scheme, but through patience, persistence, and hard work.

Well done, you!! You and hubby are going to live to be 160, too, right? Added bonus side effect of JUDDD and all that.

Tami, on the AS and mio and stalling: wouldn't it be NICE if we could just ask the inner "office manager" what the heck the problem is?? Just tell me what's stalling me, I'll cut it out!! Why do we have to keep GUESSING and wondering??? It's enough to drive a girl crazy.

Also that's a really good idea with the grill and the chicken. It's so much cheaper than the pre-grilled stuff!

Zipp, I know what you mean about the challenge of having dinner delayed!

My scale said 167 this morning. Off to a good start!!

Lynne

P.S. These amazing Italian prune-plums are perfectly ripe now and coming in from central Oregon. I almost can't resist diving face-first into them. Not sure how much longer I can hold out. Pray for me.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynne2u View Post
Tami, on the AS and mio and stalling: wouldn't it be NICE if we could just ask the inner "office manager" what the heck the problem is?? Just tell me what's stalling me, I'll cut it out!! Why do we have to keep GUESSING and wondering??? It's enough to drive a girl crazy.
OMG, wouldn't that be nice! I have the most fickle, flaky office manager ever! lol I'm sure she's sick of my sporadic eating over the years, too, so I guess turnabout is fair play. lol

We just did the big chicken grill last night... I have some slicing & bagging to do, but I know what's for lunch and dinner and... lol It so works, though.

WooHooo to you and your 167!!!

Good luck with the prune-plums... sounds interesting, though not especially appealing
Old 09-25-2012, 10:35 AM   #47
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sheri81428
Start Date: January 2003
Quote:
Sheri to our wonderful little group.

Lynne I would take roomy pants over scale victories any day. I just bought some five spice and had no clue what to do with it. I'll have to try it on eggs.

Misscobi I abandoned AS for a while and it helped with a stall. I've since added it back and it doesn't bother me anymore. Weird

Anna I love that love carb keeps us away from all the processed stuff that is so bad for health. Its so easy to eat simply when you can't eat half the food in the grocery store I may try to get under 20 carbs a day again and see if that jumpstarts me.

I posted this on juddd but thought I would put it here too.

Brew- That is AWESOME on your loss!
sheri81428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:26 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Brew!! 75! That's so awesome! Way to go!!!

I have been chugging back my water its not an easy task for me lately, but it seems yo be working... Down to 190.2 today
Old 09-26-2012, 07:43 AM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning ladies! Scale not budging, but I'm not letting it bring me down! Today's my birthday We really don't have anything out of the ordinary planned. I'm hoping to go visit with the puppies later. They're a week old already! Then the boys have a really tough home game against their cross town rival and we'll likely go to dinner afterwards, where my free birthday desert will be quickly devoured by famished young water polo players
Old 09-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Boop, good job on that water!! I've got my sparkling water again, and also rooibos and other herbal teas to try and get the water in. Oy. It's worth it on scale day, though.

Tami, !! Good luck on the game, boys!

I did mostly resist the prune-plums; I only had ONE.

Zipp, where are you going on your cruise?

It's a perfect beautiful sunny day here on the coast. The waves are as tall as office buildings and splashing against the rocks. The pelicans are playing in the surf.

Good day to go for a walk!

Lynne
Old 09-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #51
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misscobi View Post
Good morning ladies! Scale not budging, but I'm not letting it bring me down! Today's my birthday We really don't have anything out of the ordinary planned. I'm hoping to go visit with the puppies later. They're a week old already! Then the boys have a really tough home game against their cross town rival and we'll likely go to dinner afterwards, where my free birthday desert will be quickly devoured by famished young water polo players

Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday dear
T A M I
Happy birthday to you!!!
Old 09-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #52
Big Yapper!!!!

Cruise is Carnival and we are stopping in

Cozumel Christmas Day-where we will snorkel on a private tour
Belize 12/26 - where we will tour the Mayan Ruins Private tour
Roatan 12/27 - where we will snorkel and tour the island Private tour
Grand Cayman 12/28 = Private 2 stops for snorkeling AND visiting Stingray City! One of the snorkeling spots is the Barrier Reef!
Old 09-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #53
Big Yapper!!!!

Can you tell I am MAJORLY excited!?!?!?!

Good day here. Up day, so I am enjoying not being hungry!
Old 09-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the birthday wishes!

Great job on those plums, Lynne! I'm sure one fit into your program perfectly! Your coastal walk sounds so wonderful! Your description makes me miss it!

Monica, your cruise sounds amazing! No wonder you're excited!!! How fun!
Old 09-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Happy Birthday Tami!!!
Zipp your cruise sounds awesome! I love cruises! ( I've only ever done one but it was awesome and we are doing another one in Jan!)
So I kinda sucked with the water again today. Hoping to pound a few back tonight though!
Old 09-27-2012, 05:45 AM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Boop! I did get to go see the puppies. They're turning into chubby little porkers and are so so so cute and snuggly! The boys won the only league game I was worried about by 1. That's kind of huge and I did great at dinner after. Had salad, steak & broccoli and passed my birthday sundae down the table after making a wish and blowing out my candle but I'm up a few this morning. I was not good on water yesterday at all, so hopefully that's all it is. We've eaten at this restaurant 3 Wednesdays in a row now so it shouldn't be the food.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:08 AM   #57
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boop13 View Post
Happy Birthday Tami!!!
Zipp your cruise sounds awesome! I love cruises! ( I've only ever done one but it was awesome and we are doing another one in Jan!)
So I kinda sucked with the water again today. Hoping to pound a few back tonight though!
Where are you going and when? We leave out of Miami on 12/23!
Old 09-27-2012, 06:09 AM   #58
Big Yapper!!!!

Tami - what a great birthday! Win the game AND dinner out with a candle! Eating the ice cream isn't necessary for the WISH to come true!
Old 09-27-2012, 06:09 AM   #59
Big Yapper!!!!

I am going to try to keep DD calories down below 500. I typically eat 600-800 on DD's and I am hoping that by dropping it a bit, I will see the scale move a bit!
Old 09-27-2012, 07:06 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: anna_banana
Stats: 170/140.9/120 (5'4")
WOE: Doing my own LC (currently less than 20/day)...
Start Date: July 2012
Good morning ladies!

Lynne - I think you're right about JUDDD. Because I know how much gluten and sugar I used consume (what can I say? I'm a cook and a baker…) it's important for me to re-train my tastebuds too. It's not that I will never consume non-LC things ever again, but the reality is that I feel a heck of a lot better without flour in my stomach on a regular basis. Once my body is fully capable of making the right choices without my brain having to intervene so much I shall dip my toes into other WOE.

And well done for 167! I love those prume-plums too, I've been avoiding the fruit aisle at my grocery store since July - all the fruit that I've been missing makes me weep. Concord grapes, cherries, pears, plums, peaches… I'd love to live near the coast but am currently stuck (almost) in the middle of this great big continent.

Elise - woohoo to you and your husband! It's such a great achievement, and I love that you two did it together. It's good to see longer-term LCers share their achievements, as when I have my "sad" days I can't think beyond "my weight loss is too slow" - BTW, I know this isn't true and I'm happy with the way things are progressing so far.

Tami & Lynne - my inner office manager likes to switch things up. She likes to mess with my head, I suppose. And it's darn frustrating but what can I say, she's a mean gal.

Tami - happy belated birthday! I hope you've had a good one. Ohhh, those puppies… They must be so cute! And good to hear that your sons did well too!

Monica - you're having a string of good days now! Awesome! And your cruise sounds wonderful. Especially in late Dec when it's cold and freezing you'll be basking in the sunshine!

boop13 - well done on 190.2!!

Librarian & Sheri - how are you guys doing?

I'm still at 143.8. The scale's been bouncing up and down but I'm doing my best to ignore it. It WILL go down, eventually. My inner office manager must be bored, so she's messing with my head.

Hope you have a great day!!

Anna
anna_banana is offline   Reply With Quote