Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #271
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: misscobi
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 3/03 originally
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGurl View Post
Tami, I'm like you..learning to be patient no matter how long it takes. I've lost and gained the same weight so many times I've lost count. I have promised myself that this is *it*..no more yo-yo.. I'm tired.
Tired describes it well. I told myself early on that if I'm going to do this again, it will be for the last time and I'm not going to let it drive me crazy. So far so good... can barely tell this dieting crazy from the normal insanity

Hope you had a great weekend with DS. The weekends fly by so quickly! Even long ones
misscobi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2012, 11:07 AM   #272
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Lynne - yesterday I could have eaten the house! I kept myself busy and amazingly kept it to 1000c.

Tami - slow and steady is a great plan. You may see that 199 before years end, you never know, stranger things have happened.

Danielle - will your son be back next week? My DH had bread chunks out and in the oven drying them out for dressing for feeding the homeless in our town. I can't eat bread due to gluten, but I would have killed to just shove my face in it all and start eating. The house literally smelled like fresh baked bread. I think this weekend he plans to start baking the pumpkin bread for our Family Thanksgiving gathering. That will kill me too!!!!!!!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...rt-2-a-10.html
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #273
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
DS left around 3 and was home by about 5:15 I miss him so much already!! We'll try and get down to see him at least a few times before Xmas... he's not coming home for Thanksgiving. He lives with 3 other boys and the plan is to do Thanksgiving dinner there..should be interesting He'll be coming home on Dec. 20th to be with his sisters for a few days while DH and I escape to Vegas for a few days before Christmas.. I just wish they could all stay with me and go and do their grown up stuff..I'd be fine as long as they came home every night.

Ugh...making chocolate chip cookies for the boy as we speak.... a few may or may not have made it into my trap... this is not a good day for a DD.

My Journal:
♥Choose More, Lose More....Aventures In Carb-Cycling.......♥

"Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary" ~Chris Powell
DesertGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #274
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: boop13
Stats: 246/179.4/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: restarted Feb 23/12
Hello! Looks like I missed quite a bit! I slipped up tonight. Hubby brought home some baked goodies and insisted that they were the best ever. I won't go into details as to not make you jealous. Lol. So I cut a tiny bite off each. Which led to several larger bites. :s so not like me to do this... But TOM made an appearance yesterday so I place the blame there. Didn't weigh today because of that, and probably won't tomorrow either! But one slip up isn't the end of the world. Back on track again.

End of the World challenge 191.8/179.4/174

Getting Angry for Autumn Challenge 211.4/192.4/191.8

Last edited by boop13; 11-12-2012 at 05:24 PM..
boop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:31 AM   #275

D - I couldn't make Chocolate chip cookies and NOT eat some either!

Boop - we all have those moments and know it ISN'T the end of the world, is the best response to it!
Old 11-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #276
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I'm doing a down day, today, but have to serve dinner to friends tonight, so I'm just doing water and tea until 5:00 pm, and then salad (no dressing for me) and chili made with extra lean beef.

I did a biometric assessment for my insurance this morning (fasting), and my numbers (apart from BMI) are pretty good. After 10 months doing low carb, I'm disappointed that my fasting blood glucose levels are still a bit high (100), but I've read that eating very low carb can cause a "dawn phenomenon" of one's liver dumping glucose, so I'm not really surprised. I'll ask for an HbA1C test when I get a physical. No problem in terms of cholesterol or blood pressure, and my triglycerides are very low at 74 (with anything under 150 considered good).

Have any of you noticed improvements in biomarkers on JUDDD? How about with JUDDD compared to doing low carb?
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #277

I haven't had any tests after being on JUDDD. LC made all my numbers perfect, actually, I think they were all good, EXCEPT BMI before. I am 2 pounds from being a normal BMI! 2 freaking pounds! Amazing!
Old 11-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #278
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lynne2u
Stats: 245/173/120
Good morning everyone!!

There's a lot of posts to catch up with, so I'm apologizing in advance right now for leaving someone out.

Tami, yes, there's a science to JUDDD that makes alternating between up days (higher calories) and down days (lower calories) important. It's just that my system is perverse and tries to switch the schedule about once a month. I don't fight it too hard, just try to get back on the horse if things go astray.

Boop, that's the holiday season for ya, right? Slips happen. You did great keeping it to a dull roar and getting back in the saddle right away.

Danielle, I'da been all over that pumpkin bread, too. And the chocolate chip cookies. What can you do? Thank goodness for DDs.

Svensk, I haven't done any tests since I started JUDDD, but after a year on Atkins, Gary Taubes and I had almost exactly the same results on blood tests. Better living through bacon and butter is my motto.

Zipp, I'm two pounds from a normal BMI too! How about that. I don't think I've been at a normal BMI since I was 12.

I have a small complaint:
Last November, I was 50 pounds heavier. I am freezing. I miss my blubber-coat right about now.

Anybody else feeling the cold more this year?? Or is it just me?

Have a great Tuesday all!

Lynne

500/2000 until the end of the challenge with NO TWEAKS.

Reality is still the boss, after all these years.
lynne2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:04 PM   #279

Lynne - look at us go. NORMAL, that's not a word I would ever use to describe myself in any fashion, let alone WEIGHT!!!!! I am cold CONSTANTLY> I have a heater under my desk and I use it 12 months out of the year! Plus I keep a jacket that I wear almost each and everyday at work too! So in SUMMER, 112*, I am sitting at my desk with my jacket on and HEATER blazing!!!!! plus now I have some sort of ache in my right hand that only seems much worse when it is really COLD. It is H ELL getting OLD!
Old 11-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #280

My goal was 162.2 by 12/21. I am still 4.6 from that. HMMMM wonder if that will happen?!?!? Not since I moved up to maintenance levels, probably!!!!! OH WELL!
Old 11-14-2012, 07:57 AM   #281
Blabbermouth!!!

Since starting JUDDD I am freezing. It usually is worse on DD's, and mainly my hands and feet. Am I weird???

Holding steady today after an UD. I'll take it, especially considering TOM made its appearance. Now I know why I had a few hungry-feeling days this week.

Today's my son's 20th b-day. So weird not being able to celebrate with him. Sent him a box with all sorts of stuff, hopefully it's stuff he'll enjoy. Don't get me wrong, SO thankful that he's only a few hours away from us, but it still sucks rocks.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #282

Not weird at all! I am sure it does suck girl! It saddens to me to think about the years when that is the case for me

Yesterday was a great DD. I ate just under 800c so that is perfect! Today Up Day will be chipotle for lunch. That means bulk of my calories will be gone after lunch. I think I will have about 450 left for dinner....probably won't be very hungry either! LOVE CHIPOTLE!
Old 11-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #283
Blabbermouth!!!

OMG, I LOOOOOVVVVVEEEE Chipotle!! One of the best reasons EVER to low carb. Last March we went to San Francisco and we had it 3 days in a row for lunch....I was in heaven I tell ya

It royally stinks to have the kiddos grow up so fast. I have a little less than 2 years with my girls.. DD18 is home still finishing gen-ed stuff at community college and will transfer to U. DD16 is graduating hs same time DD18 is finishing comm college and is bailing right after to U. Then it's just me & DH staring at eachother! Whatever will I do with ALL that freedom!!!!
Old 11-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #284
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I just wish they could all stay with me and go and do their grown up stuff..I'd be fine as long as they came home every night.
Boy, isn't that the truth though? Would make our lives as mommies so much easier! For some strange reason I thought parenting would get easier as they matured and ventured out of the house... not so much.... Sorry you're unable to celebrate DS's birthday with him. We've missed the last two while kiddo was away at school. He's home now so we'll get to witness at least the aftermath of his 21st in May.... should be interesting. sigh. How did they/we get this old anyway? Sigh.

Boop, how's today going? Right back on plan? That's all we can do sometimes...

Monica & Lynne - 2 pounds from normal BMI? How cool is that?!? Look how far you've come! So proud of both of you!!!

Sven, my tests (other than bmi) have thankfully always been good, so I'm no help there.

I'm always cold when losing weight... it must take our internal temp regulator some time to catch up to the lack of insulation? I dunno, but I feel your pain!

I'm back at siggy weight as of this morning. Last time I was at this weight was almost a month ago. Not sure why I'm still surprised at just how long those 'little' detours take to recover from. Oh-well. Onward & downward from here!
Old 11-14-2012, 11:20 AM   #285

Onward and downward INDEED!!!!!!!
Old 11-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #286
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Since starting JUDDD I am freezing. It usually is worse on DD's, and mainly my hands and feet. Am I weird???
I often feel cold on DDs. I've taken to keeping a sweater and shawl in my work cubicle, drinking a lot of hot tea, cranking up the thermostat at home, and taking infra-red saunas (I have one at home) on my DDs. On up days, I rarely feel cold. At least there are at least partial solutions other than eating more to being cold on DD.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:00 AM   #287

Good morning all! It's Friday - EVE!!!!!!!
Old 11-15-2012, 07:14 AM   #288
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Friday Eve
Old 11-15-2012, 11:10 AM   #289

How's everyone doing???

by the way - ONE WEEK TILL THANKSGIVING!!!!!!! I feel so many emotions about that!
Old 11-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #290
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning everyone!

I see I'm not the only one that's feeling the cold. I'm not sure what an infrared sauna is, but I think I need one. It sounds a bit like a tanning bed. Is that close?

Haven't seen a scale lately myself, so no news there.

It's a beautiful sunny day here on the coast, though. I'll take it!!

Lynne

P.S. Brrr. Pass the chicken broth, please...
Old 11-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #291

Hey LYNNE - how goes it? How's the little one doing lately?
Old 11-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #292
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynne2u View Post
Good morning everyone!

I see I'm not the only one that's feeling the cold. I'm not sure what an infrared sauna is, but I think I need one. It sounds a bit like a tanning bed. Is that close?
My infrared sauna is a little wood shed with infrared heaters that emits heat to a high temperature. I usually spend 1-2 hours at a temperature of 135 degrees to work up a sweat and then take a cold shower; mine has a bench to sit on (on a towel) and a light, so I read or listen to a book on CD while I'm in there. Taking an infrared sauna is good for detoxing, very relaxing, and definitely warms you up. And mine uses less energy than my coffeemaker uses. You don't tan, but you do sweat a lot using one. Mine sits in a corner of my study; they don't take up a lot of room.

I am down another pound and very close to my Thanksgiving goal of reaching the 180s; today the scale said 190.3. And I'm having a pretty easy down day, too. I think I love JUDDD. Tomorrow I'll be visiting my sister, going out for great seafood in Providence for dinner, on my up day.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #293
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post
Hey LYNNE - how goes it? How's the little one doing lately?
He had to come home sick from school today. He looks listless, won't eat much, all he wants to do is lay in bed and watch videos. Hope he gets better soon.

Svensk, your sauna sounds lovely! I love that it takes up so little room and uses so little energy.

You're going to make it to your TG goal by tomorrow morning at this rate!!

Lynne
Old 11-15-2012, 03:32 PM   #294
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: boop13
Stats: 246/179.4/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: restarted Feb 23/12
Hello and happy Friday eve! Haven't had a chance to check in. But i am back on track! well for the most part. We Went out for dinner yesterday for the mother-n-laws bday to an Italian buffet... Had roasted veggies and roasted chicken. Some muscles and a very small serving of gluten free pasta, I know I should have passed on the pasta all together but they had a pasta bar with lots of yummy toppings like shrimp and sausage And roasted red peppers. Now the major accomplishment was the hubby brought home those same baked goodies and I passed this time! Made a yummy lc cheesecake and had a few bites of it instead! Best part is... I was back at signature weight today!! Making bacon wrapped cabbage and pan fried pork chops for dinner tonight.
boop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:36 PM   #295
Major LCF Poster!

Svensk, Congrats on another new low! I agree with Lynne. You'll be in the 180's in the blink of an eye! Very cool! Your sauna sounds pretty awesome, too. I used to love tanning. I'd get so relaxed I'd fall asleep. Not sure I'd make it through a book in the sauna

Lynne, sorry your little one's not feeling good. It's so pitiful to see them like that. Hopefully he wakes up tomorrow like there was never anything wrong.

Boop, YAY for getting back on track, passing on the baked goodies, and for getting back to siggy weight! Nice job!
Old 11-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #296
Major LCF Poster!

Monica, one week til Thanksgiving... yes indeed...

What is everyone doing for Thanksgiving? What are your eating plans? I'm still a bit undecided. We did decide that we are going over to my mom's and we'll all have a pretty casual easy going day, which is nice. We're doing tri-tip since we all like it better than turkey. Sides I can eat include veggie tray, green salad, and... that's it. I could make some deviled eggs. Those are always appreciated. I can make a low carb cheesecake or another acceptable low carb sugar free type desert. Or... I could eat anything I want for just that one afternoon/evening... either is truly ok with me which may be a problem? I dunno. Anyway.... what are your plans?
Old 11-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #297
Major LCF Poster!

I know Thanksgiving is a challenge for lots of people. My sister and brother-in-law don't eat any differently on Thanksgiving or just go out for Indian food, and they will be fine with my doing my own thing (which may involve hardly any food, if it's a down day).

If I were going out to a regular Thanksgiving dinner, I'd bring devilled eggs, a low carb veggie side dish (maybe roasted low-starch veggies), and some 85% chocolate truffles made with chocolate, butter, cream, and a little vanilla. With those things plus turkey, I could eat something in terms of appetizer, main meal, and dessert, and just ignore the stuffing, potatoes, and gravy that the non-dieters were eating.

Good luck, everyone who is going to be facing a difficult situation at Thanksgiving.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:40 AM   #298

Svens - you will get to that number by next week, I just know it!

Lynne - is it congestion? Tummy? Poor guy!

Boop - your dinner for tonight sounds amazing! YUMMY!!!! That GF pasta I would have been ALL OVER!

Tami - have you ever made Linda's apple cheese cake? I made it last year and everyone RAVED about it. They have asked me to make it again. I'm not following LC, but I will be having some of that!
Old 11-16-2012, 05:43 AM   #299

For me, I will enjoy Thanksgiving day. It happens to be an Up day. Honestly, I will have an up weekend. I will be mindful of my calories, but I will not specifically count for the weekend. I plan to have a good Down Day on Monday. Again, life is meant to be lived, but we all have to decide what we feel good about!

It's friday, plans for the weekend??? I'm seeing Twilight the final chapter tomorrow. I can't wait! Sunday I have a ceramics holiday thing to go to after church. It should be a nice relaxing weekend. Tonight we are having friends over for pulled pork nachos and drinks.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #300
Major LCF Poster!

Monica, I haven't made the apple cheesecake. I used to make all sorts of low carb deserts & stuff back when I first did Atkins. It seemed to be a never ending cycle of more deserts and less 'real' food, so I just pretty much stopped even looking at recipes. It doesn't take much of a recipe to cook some meat & veggies. lol I will check out the apple cheesecake, though.... or throw caution to the wind... which is really the direction I'm leaning just for Thursday & then right back on track Friday, leftovers be damned. lol

Your weekend sounds nice! Enjoy! I have nothing planned for tomorrow, but will head out in the jeep with hubby for a nice day trip of 4 wheeling & exploring on Sunday. I haven't gotten to do much of that this year, so I'm really looking forward to it. I'll pay for it in back pain on Monday, but oh-well!