Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #241
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: michelle204
Stats: 262/185/182.4/165
WOE: LowCarbing my way
Start Date: July 9, 2007
The Healthy Brownie: Black Bean Chia Brownies

Ingredients:
1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added black beans, drained and rinsed
3 large eggs
1/3 cup buter
2 tbsp of chia seeds
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
1/2 cup cane sugar or dark brown sugar
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (best option = 70% cacao content)
1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Butter an 8-inch baking pan. Place the black beans, eggs, butter, chia seeds, cocoa powder, salt, vanilla, and sugar in the bowl of a food processor and blend until smooth. Remove the blade and carefully stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts. Transfer mixture to the prepared pan. Bake the brownies for 30 to 35 minutes, or until just set in the center. Cool before cutting into squares.

Yield: 30-35 brownies

Serving size: 1

Calories 84
Protein 4 grams
Carbohydrates 12 grams
Total Fat 3 grams

I used Twin brown sugar but I don't think that is sold in the USA. You could use Splenda brown sugar for sure. Also I made it once with just dry chia seeds and they were great and the second time with chia gel ( 1 part chia/5 parts water) both forms were fantastic. Some whipped cream on top of a slightly warm brownie and you will be in heaven.

I need to finish this journey once and for all!
I know somewhere inside of me I have the strength and commitment...I just need to find it.

Michelle
michelle204 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #242
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/170.5 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
Thanks Michelle-sounds yummy--now tell me do you really get 30-35 brownies out of a 8x8 pan? I would never cut them so small I know-that is one of my problems with the ice cream I eat--supposed to be 12 servings in the carton and I get 6 maybe! my portions are not what they should be! thanks for the recipe --I have been buying black beans-they have been so good in chili and I have seen the black bean brownie talked about before but never made it!!
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #243
Senior LCF Member

I never paid attention to the yield. There is NO way I would get 30 servings from that. I think 12 or 16 is more like it.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:52 AM   #244
Major LCF Poster!

I was thinking 9!!!! so you see how I do portions!!! maybe this is why I am unable to get into ketosis??? ya think???? I am totally out of ice cream but the grocery has it on sale this week--I have been trying to stay away from the store!! I did end up having 3 pumpkin muffins tho--2 with cream cheese icing-I am so used to having something sweet in the evening--it is more habit than anything I think--if I would get into ketosis then it would be less craving going on!

Monica-so glad Haven is negative for strep-whew-a relief I know--hope all the birthday girl wishes were good! they grow up so fast!

The hubs is planning on trying to seed and fertilize once again saturday--the rain has derailed him so many times-if he gets it done-hopefully the rain that is called for sunday won't wash away all the hard work and expense!! what is everybody else planning for the weekend??? supposed to be warmer again!

Jeanne
Old 10-12-2012, 06:45 AM   #245
Senior LCF Member

Well I cut it into 16 pieces, however I ate it in 4 sittings. Not Good! But good if you know what I mean.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:10 AM   #246
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
The weekend is almost here! WOOHOO!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:28 AM   #247
Big Yapper!!!!

WE have NOTHING tonight. YEAH!

tomorrow is supposed to be softball but they are calling for all day rain. My only hope is that if it does RAIN, please have it be overnight as well so we don't drag our sorry BUTTS out there to only have to sit in the rain till they finally cancel the games!

Saturday night is a 50 Anniversary dinner for our church. Dennis and I will be attending.

Sunday is more softball, church and Sunday School!
Old 10-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #248
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ChristineP
Stats: 198/182/140
WOE: South Beach Diet
Start Date: 09/10/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle204 View Post
Sounds delishious Jeanne. I just made a pan of chia/black bean brownies. Unfortuneately they are too good and I am eating way too many of them.
i've never had chia black bean brownies,

a group I belong to had Chef Ann Cooper (Renegade Lunch Lady) to our school, (trying to change the school food) Whole Foods brought trays of black bean brownies, they were good... but they were made with 'real' chocolate chps and 'real' sugar (back before I was low carbing, I could have eaten an entire pan of them)

today
b: one mini quiche
S; two cheese sticks (weight watchers)
L: escarole soup w/ little meatballs (no breadcumbs in those meatballs)
S: an apple but I"m so full, I don't think I"ll eat it
D: takeout probably either a salad w/ chicken or a grilled chicken "sandwich" minus the roll and subbing out veg of the day for the french fries
(they know me at the Tavern, they're about making 'special' dinner for me)

This weekend - Saturday is house cleaning, shopping and cooking
Sunday my DD is volunteering at the YMCA for thier October Festival, so I will probably go along to help, other than that we don't have much going on

Last edited by ChristineP; 10-12-2012 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: adding weekdn plans
ChristineP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:25 AM   #249
Senior LCF Member

anybody here? As of this Morning, I am now... :drumroll:

185!

(I know that's LOL, but it looks like the little guy is singing to me)

I'm getting there!
Old 10-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #250
Senior LCF Member

Way to go Christine. You are going to reach goal and blow right past it. I am so proud of you. Is this your first stab at a lower carb diet? I see you are following South Beach. How does it differ from Atkins?
Old 10-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #251
Senior LCF Member

By the way..I'm a complete failure this week. I GAINED 7.2 lbs. That's all I'm going to say about that, other then I know why, I failed myself.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #252
Major LCF Poster!

Hop back on the wagon Michelle--you are following in my footsteps girl! not a good thing!! you know like I do that eventually you will have to get those pounds back off--I do the same darn thing--I have gained and lost the same pounds the last couple of months and I am tired of it--I have been good since Monday of this week-still up a pound tho over my weight but it is slowing coming down--grrr-you need to get back on the wagon--most of that fast gain is water weight you know--so don't despair!! restart and it will go off and you will feel better soon!! you can do it!!!

We have the hubs big fall gathering of his familys and extended family get-together this saturday nite--everyone is to bring a covered dish--more than 100 people will be bringing food and desserts-I really hate to attend because I will be tempted and I am already knowing that I am weak when it comes to seeing all those desserts--I am planning on eating at home before I go and maybe even taking a dessert with me that I can eat? I need to stay strong and make it through this thing

Christine--way to go--you are doing fabulous--keep it going and giving the rest of us incentive to make it to goal too!!! woohoo!!

have a good day everyone--we are expecting storms later--we have had a little rain but no storms--its really windy
Old 10-15-2012, 04:05 AM   #253
Major LCF Poster!

Good Monday morning--I am FINALLY back to my published weight-I refused to up it and I made it back-now to get back into the 150s and onto my goal-doubtful it will happen by Thanksgiving but at least I hope to get closer...I have got to do better than I have been doing and get my butt in the game so to speak!!

I need to mow today but I really don't want to-I am not sure how much rain we had last nite so that will determine if I get out there today..

hope everyone had a great weekend--I need to figure out something good to cook today-any suggestions?

Jeanne
Old 10-15-2012, 05:46 AM   #254
Big Yapper!!!!

Michelle - it is not a failure but a bump in road. LIFE HAPPENS!

Jeanne - way to go getting back to signature weight. How was your family gathering this past weekend?

Christine - way to go girl! You are doing so great. Inspiration to us all.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:48 AM   #255
Big Yapper!!!!

Well I had 3 days of not really tracking food at all. My DD Friday wasn't the best, but not off the charts. Saturday was probably in line, maybe a little on the higher side. Yesterday was a mess. I think I am like you guys, at this point, I am just tired of it ALL!

That being said, today will be a spot on Up day. My calories WILL come in right at 1850, no exceptions. I plan to get more back to the basics. Easier foods to measure and figure calories on. I may never see the 160's at this rate and have no one to blame but MYSELF! Again, life happens!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ourney-69.html
Old 10-15-2012, 05:52 AM   #256
Big Yapper!!!!

We had a rainy Saturday so our softball games were a waiting game to only call them all for the day finally at 2:45! We got in 1 game Saturday and that is all. Yesterday Haven had 3 games. She was having a STELLAR weekend. She pitched yesterday like a champ (+7 was her count which is awesome), she was a hitting machine and ran the bases well. I just don't think the team was with it, so we had no wins. That happens. Our fielding was AWFUL. Chalk it to the rain and clouds and move on.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:19 AM   #257
Senior LCF Member

Well ladies I don't know where to start. My weekend was the highest of highs and the lowest of lows and then right back to normal. I could really use a hug.
Saturday morning weigh in and see gain on scale, but brush it off because Sunday will be my wedding anniversary (23 years) and I plan on eating well and maybe even having some wine to celebrate. So all is good. And then....
my MIL phones and insists that they go out for supper with us Sunday for our anniversary. Well my DH doesn't want to share our anniversary with his parents so we change our plans and go out just the two of us on Saturday night instead. We were out for about 4 hours and come back home to be greeted by our two dogs as usual. They both go outside to do their business. I hang up my coat and such and the older dog (16yrs 9 months) isn't coming back in. So I look out the windows to see where she is and she is lying on the sidewalk. I run outside her eyes are open but she is not breathing or moving. I scream for Marcel. We carry her in the house and massage her chest and from shear panic give her a few shakes and she started to breath again. It took her an hour to start moving again though. I stayed up all night with her to make sure she was still breathing. To make a long story short, she is doing much better now but I now live in fear she could die at any time now.
Not to belittle Sadie's (my dog) near death experience needless to say I ate and ate and ate all day yesterday. And NONE of it was low carb. I am a wreck. I feel horrible mentally,emotionally, and physically. I feel bad about my baby and my behavior. Sorry to ramble on.

I have to go for now ladies. Thanks for listening.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:17 AM   #258
Major LCF Poster!

Oh Michelle-I am so sorry about your little dog's near death experience-thank goodness you were so alert and saved her--your quick action was something that I am not sure most people would have thought to do--I am sure I would have done that same thing regarding eating-my pets are my babies and I lay next to them when they are ill making sure they are ok-I sure hope Sadie brings you more days of happiness --it is so hard to lose a pet especially one that has been a part of our lives for so long-will be praying that she continues to stay healthy... btw-happy anniversary!!! I would want to spend mine alone too!!

I am working in the basement today--I should be mowing but just can't seem to get out there-thought I would pop in and figure out something for dinner--which I haven't done yet!

hello to everyone else

Jeanne
Old 10-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #259
Big Yapper!!!!

Michelle what a tramatic experience. So you ate, that was yesterday, move on today. Dust it off and get back on LC! I am so sorry this happened. I can only imagine how horrified you were.

Indeed, Happy Anniversary. Did you go out to dinner? Enjoy?

Jeanne - DINNER?? What are you thinking?? I think we are serving the kids spagetti, I will do the sauce/meat and then put it on veggies.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:06 PM   #260
Major LCF Poster!

just popping in again-I got started cleaning in the basement--it's been put off for years-since the kids moved up here from florida and stayed down there for 15 months-its been a disaster area-they really kinda destroyed it living down there-stains on the carpet where their dog whizzed and their cat too--plus Colton was a baby and they let him do whatever --anyway--it's been disheartening to see the damage so I just left it and ignored it--not a good thing-so anything and everything has just been stacked on top of everything else-it's become a nightmare that I put off and put off--I need to paint everywhere and all the baseboards and trim in my whole house--just so many things I need to do that seem to overwhelm me--so they aren't getting done and I need to just take one thing and tackle it--today it was the basement and I am loading up a few things to burn and other things to take to the scrap...just a beginning--plus trying to talk to a man about insurance--my insurance is changing the first of the year-they are just stopping and its getting harder to find insurance with local hospitals--I know we are rural but dang--it's bad when we can't find a local hospital in network!!

ok--not sure what is for dinner yet--it may be eggs and bacon--I got chicken out to thaw but its not thawed--I was going to make Chars green enchilada casserole--but I will do that tomorrow--tomorrow I take Mom to the eye doctor and then on to the grocery store-it will be a big day for her-and me!

Michelle--thinking about you!! let us know how your baby is today
Old 10-16-2012, 03:44 AM   #261
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saltnpepper
Stats: 125/104/103 5'
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
Hi Everyone.........

I'm just dropping a note full of hugs Michelle!! I don't know if I would have done what you all did to save her life. (I panic, and just cry) And then I eat.

Hi to everyone, miss you guys.

I will "try" to stop by this evening.

Have a great day, give Sadie hugs for us too....

Anna
saltnpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:00 AM   #262
Senior LCF Member

I would never have been able to handle that, Michele

I remember when I was a teen, our Husky was the same age as I was, and I came home from school and she was laying on the floor in our sunroom, had completely lost all of her ‘bodily functions’ I panicked, called my mommy crying what to do

Our vet wasn’t far from our house, so I just loaded the poor dog into the car and drove like a crazy person over to the vet

(we were 17 at the time)

Well, I know I only weighed in two days ago, but I haven’t lost an ounce since then… (every time I say that, I drop something, so I’m hoping to give my self some good ‘joo-joo’)

We’ve been staying on track… well I have. Mister is back sliding here and there with stuff… like he bought these chips made out of black beans… hello, we don’t need chips!~ not even the ones made out of black beans (I tasted one, didn’t like it anyway)
We went to grab a bite to eat at the tavern… I had grilled chicken dinner, two veg no potato he had a cheese steak in a wrap
(um, not very heart healthy my dear)

I decided I can’t blame myself for his high-ish cholesterol when he eats stuff like that.

Yesterday’s dinner was salmon with a massaged kale salad
Yeah… never did the massaged kale thing before… it’s still not tender enough to enjoy
(sorry. Maybe I did something wrong?)
The salmon was REALLY good though, I took some 0% greek yogurt and mixed it with Thai green curry paste and slathered about 1-1&1/2 tsp on top of each and cooked on convection at 370 till they were just starting to brown a bit on top.. YUM< have the leftovers for lunch today (with green beans)

I have not exercised to speak of in days on end… shameful confession
I know if I were to get my 30 min in every day I’d see better results

Another shameful confession, I forgot to take anything out of the freezer for dinner tonight! I wonder how quickly I can defrost chicken breasts
If I can, dinner tonight will be chicken w/ braised cabbage
I think I’m going to do it like I would a pork dish… caraway seeds, mustard, not sure what else, I’m making this up as I go

This morning I had 1/3 cup eggbeaters with some spinach in it
The mister had oatmeal
Snacks today are 1/3 c cottage cheese/yogurt mixture with 6 raspberries on top and some veggies
Old 10-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #263
Big Yapper!!!!

When we forget to sit out chicken, we run hot water in the sink, let the bag of chicken soak in it until it is ready to be cooked. We typically change the water twice and it is thawed in 10-20 minutes!~ Sounds like you are doing well Christine. You can't dictate what your hubby eats, that's his deal. You are staying true to LC, so keep up the great work!

Anna - thanks for stopping in! MISS YOU GIRL!

Jeanne - sorry about the basement. That project would completely overwelm me.

Work is crazy this week. I'm on my lunch hour, but I need to get back to pushing the paper! Take care all!
Old 10-16-2012, 12:21 PM   #264
Senior LCF Member

Thank you all for the wll wishes. Sadie is doing much better. She is having some trouble getting up, but who doesn't complain at over 100 years old about getting up. LOL

Jeanne-- Good luck with the basement and have fun with your Monm tomorrow. By the way how is she doing?

Anne--Thanks for dropping by, we miss you.

Monica-- Good luck with the paperwork. You seem a litlle distant lately. Anything we can do?

Christine-- I learned a long time ago not to concern myself with what my hubs eats. I don't want him to tell me what to eat, so I give him the same courtesy. I tell him I'll miss him when he is gone, but he just laughs it off.
He has the worst eating habits ever.

Well it is pretty nice here and I'm finished my work so I think I'll take the dogs for a little fresh air. Ben can run like crazy and Sadie and I'll will watch from the sidelines.

B= Protein shake
S= Coffee and almond breeze
L=Tuna with mayo
S= Coffee with almond breeze
D= Should be hamburger patty and salad
S= Coffee and almond breeze
And I hope not one other thing passes these lips today.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #265
Major LCF Poster!

hey girls--long day here--took Mom to the eye doc this morning and he did his exam and was so concerned about her decreased vision that he wanted her to see the opthamologist that did her cataracts in 2010--so they called there and we made a fast trip to Jasper where they worked her in to one of the docs there and actually did laser procedures in the office on both of her eyes today--apparently she had what the eye doc here in town called wrinkling behind the cornea due to the cataract surgery and it was causing some of her loss of vision-she also has macular degeneration which is bad enough in itself but I am hoping that this laser today will bring her back to seeing well enough to read and see things in the distance again-I have been noticing really for a good while she wasn't seeing what she should be and she blamed it on the glasses she got from Walmart! it's a good thing we made a new appt today to see the eye doc that I went to a couple of weeks ago--I told her she would like him and she loved him--didn't expect this tho--it has been a long day-thanks for asking about Mom!

we had the BLT cobb salad at Wendy's today-low carb and delish!

Jeanne
Old 10-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #266
Senior LCF Member

Hi Jeanne

My Nan had the laser correction surgery back when it was in its infancy and it was like a miracle for her! Good thing you caught that in time

(I’ve heard of macular degeneration, not good stuff)

It’s a b*tch getting old!

I’m not too upset about Mister cheating, even though I’ve suspected his gluten sensitivity for some time (he gets this lump/bloat in his stomach whenever he eats anything ‘starchy’)
But it’s his call
(to be honest with you, he was losing weight so much more than me, I was a little jealous, so even if it slows his weight loss, I’m so competitive that I’m secretly a little glad he cheats here and there)

Okay so today

B: eggbeaters w/ the last of the asparagus that was in the fridge (for me, hubby had oatmeal)
S 1/3 c greek yogurt w/ Torani sugar fee pumpkin pie syrup and pumpkin pie spice on top (this wasn’t that great… I’m experimenting, I ate about half of that)
L: leftover chicken from last night (my daughter missed the bus, so she took the chicken out to thaw for me)

I sliced and pounded the chicken into cutlets, brushed the pan w/ olive oil browned a bit (till not quite done) deglazed the pan with white wine, reduced the wine, added a bit of Dijon mustard (a little too much, oops) some chicken base, caraway seeds and greek yogurt and a pinch of splenda (it needed a bit of sweetness to balance out, probably wouldn’t have needed it if I used a little less mustard) … made a pan gravy, returned the chicken to the pan to finish cooking in the sauce

Stir fried a bag of coleslaw mix with 1tsp olive oil and a clove of garlic and a pinch of salt, served the chicken over the sautee’d cabbage

Made extra cabbage and had extra chicken for lunch today

Dinner tonight: haddock with lemon and escarole

haven't weighed myself yet dont' know!

Last edited by ChristineP; 10-17-2012 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: add a thought
Old 10-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #267
Major LCF Poster!

Christine-I love your recipes--I wish I knew how to throw things together like that--you and Michelle are gourmet cooks! I have to have a recipe in front of me or I can't even begin! your lunch sounded sooooo good--too bad you don't live close--I would be tapping on your back door!!

I think all men lose weight faster than women--it's that darn metabolism thing they have going for them--I have one that eats non-stop and never gains--it's really hard to watch him pack junk away night after night and I can gain by smelling it--so unfair!

I am getting my hair colored I think this afternoon-will be telling her about the thinning that is going on and see what she says first--I may let it go another few weeks and see if it gets better..the gray is shining tho!!

Mom thinks she is already reading better--I hope that is the case and it's not just wishful thinking-she is doing fine and no floaters which they said she might have...

well-better move it--talk to you all later--thinking about Sadie--hope she is doing well!

Jeanne
Old 10-17-2012, 02:59 PM   #268
Senior LCF Member

Hey all. Not much new here. Sadie is doing OK. I am getting back on track.

B= Protein shake
S= Coffee /Almond Breeze
L=Tuna and mayo
S= Coffee/Almond breeze and 2 celery stalks w/cream cheese
D= Pan seared salmon with crispy skin and cauliflower with butter
S= Coffee with almond breeze and 2 squares Lindt 90% chocolate

I'm still suffering from cravings, but I just need a few more days eating clean and I'll be fine. I'm already feeling better physically.

Later ladies.

PS Monica how are you? It's not like you to be away so long!
Old 10-18-2012, 07:24 AM   #269
Senior LCF Member

weighed myself this AM....My scale has not moved! (I think I know why... but don't want to discuss the um, delicate details... let's just say I need to get things "moving")
last night's dinner was haddock with escarole and lemon, really easy and delicious! I got the idea from a Martha Stewart recipe (only she used cod)
today
B: eggbeaters w/ curry, cilantro and three cherry tomatoes
s: cottage cheese (not in the mood, maybe I'll eat it later)
L: lentil soup with lots of veggies
S: a small apple, which I'm probably not even going to eat
D: ?? I think the leftover chicken from the night before
Old 10-18-2012, 07:26 AM   #270
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle204 View Post
Hey all. Not much new here. Sadie is doing OK. I am getting back on track.

B= Protein shake
S= Coffee /Almond Breeze
L=Tuna and mayo
S= Coffee/Almond breeze and 2 celery stalks w/cream cheese
D= Pan seared salmon with crispy skin and cauliflower with butter
S= Coffee with almond breeze and 2 squares Lindt 90% chocolate

I'm still suffering from cravings, but I just need a few more days eating clean and I'll be fine. I'm already feeling better physically.

Later ladies.

PS Monica how are you? It's not like you to be away so long!
So glad to hear Sadie is doing better!
I love skin on salmon when it's pan seared and crispy!
my husband find all 'skin' a bit off-putting so my daughter and I wind up fighting over it (especially chicken!)