Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bethr
Stats: 289.5/224/? by ?
WOE: FMD
Start Date: First Time 4/01 Restart 4/28/14
Slimmer by Fall--August Edition

Here is the thread for August
bethr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2012, 09:10 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ezziriah
can I have info on this challenge?
ezziriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Ezzeriah! We are happy to have you. We're a small group so you won't get lost. Jump on in! Tell us a little about yourself.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:35 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Alessandre
Stats: 200/169/112
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: June 2012
Was I supposed to tell folks a bit about myself and didn't? I think so.

Ok, a bit of remedial work: I'm 46, with two five year olds. There may be more than two running around here; it is hard to keep track as they are so small and fast. We also have a giant dog and a crazy cat in a smallish house, so "chaos" is the normal state.

I've dabbled with LC before, but never in a focused, committed way. Since starting a month or so ago, I've spent a lot of time reading as much as I can, including Phinney and Volek's work and Peter Attia's blog. I have a educational/professional background that is useful in plowing through stuff like that, even as I have to fill in a lot of gaps and flat-out replace some traditional thinking about carbs, fats, and dieting that I no longer ascribe to. It has and continues to be an education and an experiment (who can beat n=1?), and this part of it - learning, trying new things out - I have enjoyed to what is probably a weird degree. For that reason, my WOE keeps evolving.

My family isn't LCing, although my husband is dieting...kind of. His dieting consists of eating two meals, one of which looks an awful lot like dessert to me, and then not eating 5 pound bags of candy. And it works. If I didn't love the man, I would find this irritating. But he is supportive of me, even when I spend 3 hours on Skype with his best friend obsessing over LC while they are playing a computer game (the best friend is LCing also). He also is a biology-based scientist, so he indulges me when I go off on B-OHB versus acetoacetone or gluconeogenesis.

My mini-goals are time-based: I have a bunch of milestones that take me through next summer. My overarching goal is to continue this way of living indefinitely. I try not to focus too much on weight as an endpoint: I know my true goal weight is a looooooong ways away and there will be maintenance after that.

So a belated "hi" to everyone from the "Slimmer by Fall" threads! Thanks for taking me in and making me feel welcome!
Alessandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning!

Just finished this days meditation, which was on the spiritual aspect of romantic love--it was great. In the middle of it (the second time I tried to meditate today since DH started playing music in the middle of my first attempt), my dog came over and gave me three licks on the knee and went and laid down. That there is the real expression of love--a sweet dog's kiss. Anyway, the meditation was good. But of course, afterwards I received an email from my mom's caregivers which indicate that she needs even more care than I thought she did. Neither my brother or I are in a position to increase our outgoing costs right now. We just have to find a way to balance her needs with her checkbook. It is distressing, and a huge balancing act.

So today I am going to the gym and trying out my new routine. Hopefully I make it home without collapsing on the gym floor. DH has rehearsal tonight and I'm going to try to fine tune the sound system. Learning new stuff is a good thing, right?

Allesandre--thanks for sharing a bit about yourself. You had me laughing. And so you know a little about me--I'm a 56 yo architect (specializing in designing hospitals, and hospital operations) and was laid off a month ago. Not too upset about having some time on my hands, particularly with the issues with my mom. And I just needed a mental break. I'm originally from the Chicago area but moved to CA 15 years ago to be closer to my brother and his family and my mom (who moved her 18 years ago to be closer to my brother). Kind of ironic that my brother just moved his family to Texas. Do I sound bitter? Just a little. I'm married, no children, but a 2 yo black lab (Zora) and a 17 yo bird (Phoenix). My mom is almost 93 and been in assisted living for a year and a half. I starting LC about 10 years ago. Lost weight, put it back on, and then started again 21 months ago. Still have a long way to go but have stayed fairly stable. I started going to the gym a year ago and have been pretty faithful about it,(except for a few periods of bronchitis earlier this year when I was too sick to go). I have been on this thread most of the last 10 years (except when I really fell off the wagon).

Charlene--how is your back feeling? I hope you are getting better and will be tip top for the nuptuals this weekend.

Diane--you are doing amazing, as usual. Settling back into a routine since your sister left?

Rachel--happy to hear from you--please just stay connected. Not the same without you!

Have a good day everyone!

See my blog www.bethrado.blogspot.com

One step, one hour, one day at a time.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Hi, Beth: Thanks for sharing. So can you clear up something I once read? It was in Scientific American 8+ years ago, I think, and it was announcing a breakthrough: That a supercomputer was finally able to map out all the possible routes for all employees through what would be a high-level hospital. I have spent a lot of time in hospitals of different sizes, including a few university hospitals that function really well as mazes. But that seemed a bit unbelievable to me. I would assume that hospital architects routinely use computers to design traffic flow routes. How else to come up with something that can be so utterly confusing? Am I remembering this wrong? Hope you find a great next job. Given the strength of the health care industry, I would assume that is one construction-based sector that would be doing ok. That might be wrong too, however.

That is ironic about your brother. Sibling relationships are one thing I dread negotiating as my parents decline. There are 3 of us in the greater area, but one has a lot of issues, another rarely involves himself with messy humans, and then there's me. The vulcan, a/k/a my brother, is a decent-ish human being, but he will never and has never offered my parents even the slightest support or assistance.

I would think the financial aspect would be a huge stress. I hope you can find workable solutions. Is there any flexibility to increase care without significantly increasing expenses?

I think there are few things more genuine and simply sweet than a dog's kiss. Animals are very special to me, and I know they have gotten me through some tough times. We haven't had our dog or cat for very long (less than a year for both). The cat that I had for 20 years died a few years ago, and I didn't think I could have another pet after that. Wrong! And happily so.

Thanks for the reminder about meditation: I need to do it today. I found the one I did yesterday (Day 10), about receiving and giving love, very touching. Now to find a quiet 15 minutes around my house.....

I've done the lost weight/put back on routine. I didn't gain a ton of weight when prego with my twins, in part because I was sick for most of it. And then I lost all that weight a few years after they born. But I never stepped on a scale and didn't adopt a healthy eating style, so the weight came back. I've spent most of this year getting myself to the place I am mentally: determined to keep going forward in terms of getting the life I want.

How did your new workout go? What all are you doing now?

And I think learning new things is always a good thing. Hope the sound system stuff goes well and is fun.

Charlene (I will probably always think of you as "Sports_Mom" ): How's your back? I hope it's greatly improved; back pain is horrible.

Diane: How's life back in your routine?

Ezziriah: Welcome! Hope you stick around.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:40 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Annie64
Stats: 245/175.6/ ? 5'8"
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 6/2/08
I have to hurry.. going to see my DS22. He is moving back in with his dad and isnt doing so well. I worry about him moving in with him because my ex as you know is a freakin' drama queen, tends to say the worst possible things.. very insensitive. I would love for him to move in with me, but I seriously dont have the room.

I was only down .2 this morning at 180.8, so 1 more lb and Im back in the 70s! woo hoo! I went to step class today but had to stop and sit several times because I was feeling weird. Not queasy really, but kind of dizzy-ish I guess? That happened one other time when I forgot to drink my Muscle Milk Light before class.. but I had a protein bar so I dont know. I also swam some today at the private swim club I have to take the boys I watch to.. I swam for about 20 mintues, but there were kids in the lap land almost constantly.. they arent supposed to be in there unless the are doing laps, but the lifeguards did nothing. Ugh. At least I burned off a few more cals.

It feels good to be back in my routine, but I am a stressball this week with worrying about my son (if its not one kid its another.. or two or three).. and also Im so broke I dont have two pennies to rub together until Friday! lol!

Well, better go, Ill check in later.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:11 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sports_mom
Stats: 253.6/203.4/175
WOE: Low Carb
Good morning! Between deep tissue massaging, stability ball rolling, ice packing and meds, I'm much better. Still not 100% because when I sit long periods of time or the wrong way, I get a very sharp pain. I wore my wedding heels around the house last night and did great. The ONLY exercise I've done since last Friday when I hurt myself is arm work, so am feeling somewhat sluggish. I was walking/jogging almost daily and this stinks! But am not about to chance anything so will not resume any kind of exercise until after the wedding.

The girls and I got our toes and nails done yesterday. Been up since 2:30 a.m. this morning getting my car cleaned out, packing it, and checking my lists twice for everything I need to take for the rehearsal and wedding. We are heading out this morning to east Texas to help with wedding decor and pick up items along the way for the bride's mom.

Diane - glad you are doing so well once again and look at that scale move! Yay you!! Hope everything goes okay with your son moving in with your ex. I know you are worried. I look forward to hearing about the "exchange" hehehe.

Beth - you are really rocking on the gym workouts! And meditation! That's awesome! Any recent news on the nasty neighbors?

Rachel - it was good to see you poke your head out. I know you are stressing about the upcoming move of dd and I'm sure being VP of the show choir is no cakewalk either. We'll be thinking about you!

Alessandre - good to hear a little about you. I'm 48 with a ds24 (getting married this weekend), dd14 and dd12. I'm a special education counselor and my husband recently suffered at the hands of a politically asinine football community as a coach and decided to go the administration route and will be an assistant principal this next school year. We will eventually move out of this community that was so awful to him (okay, not everybody, but the vocal ones are definitely the most negative ones about the team's lack of winning a championship). There's much more to the story - he got a bad rap taking on the head football job after the previous coach bailed in July and they moved my dh up to the position - lots of emotions there for everybody. We are working in the neighboring town, so the drive won't be bad until we find a suitable place. Glad for him to be out of coaching for a while. Been moving around with this man for 22 years. lol

I'm taking the IPAD to the hotel but not sure how much free time I'll have getting everything ready for the wedding, so if you don't hear from me for a few days, I should be back around Sunday unless I'm too tired to post!

Have a great weekend!!

Charlene
Old 08-02-2012, 05:38 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: hhhmom74
Stats: 199.5/127/120 5'4"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6/22/02 restarted more than once
Morning slimmers!

Heading to eureka college at noon today to drop off dd18 for a retreat. Ds15 is going with me so i dont have to make the drive home alone. I've got my nephews all morning.

Super hot here. Suppose to be 100+* today. Might be able to enjoy the pool this evening.

I have got to get back to working out somehow. Not sure where im going to fit it in but i know i have to. It will help me keep my sanity.

Charlene: enjoy the wedding! Cant wait to hear how it was. I love weddings!

Diane: prayers for both you and your ds.

Alessandre: thanks for telling us about ya.

Beth: i will try to post more often. I think things will calm down a little at the end of the month as i settle into a new routine.
hhhmom74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:52 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Ack.. so close to 179 and the scale went up .4 from 180.8 to 181.2... boooo! Still feeling kind of "out of whack' but went to pilates this morning. I am feeling snacky today, so I better get a handle on that quick!

DD has now lost 12 lbs!! Wow!

Rachel: Oh my gosh it has been really hot here lately too. The day I went to the zoo the heat index was over 100 also. Temps in the upper 90s today and tomorrow. Summer has gone by WAY WAY too fast this year.

Beth: So sweet about the dog kisses Have you read The Art of Racing in the Rain? Its from a dogs perspective.. I love it!

Charlene: So glad your back is feeling better! I hate it when an injury or illness keeps me from being able to work out. I have no idea yet when this "exchange" will happen.. but knowing it will makes me feel somewhat better.

Alessandra: I laughed about what you said about hospitals being mazes.. arent they?! I have gotten so lost so many times.. even in a hospital Ive been in multiple times.

Last edited by Annie64; 08-02-2012 at 08:54 AM..
Annie64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

It has been a good day! And I am grateful for it.

I started my day with a meeting in the city with my mentor. Its the first time that I was out there since my position was eliminated. It was a great meeing and my mentor may actually have a career opportunity for me. I had a hunch that ther ewas a possibiity that something might come out of this. He is a very strategic thinker and is all about positioning his firm for the future. So we will see where that goes. And he said if he couldn't hire me himself, he would help me find something else. Its the beginning of working my network. As bad as the industry is right now for the masses, my skills hopefully have some strategic value. That was good thing #1.

Yesterday we received a letter from our Home Owners Association about our neighbors, really to reiterate that the Board is sympathetic and wants to do what they can to support us. At first I was worried that if the letter that they sent us was already sent to the tenant there might be retribution. I talked to the HOA management representative when I got home (after calling him twice yesterday) and told him that things have really calmed down and i wanted the Owners to know that. They obviously have been trying to do better and while I do want them to move, its only fair to give them credit for trying. If they had behaved like they have in the last six weeks from the start of their time here we wouldn't have had the trouble we have.

While on the phone with him, my mom called and left a message, asking me to bring her some supplies. My mom hasn't called me in a few months. Starting last evening, we increased the amount of personal care her, having them take her down to meals and having her eat (she's been laying in bed and not eating for the last few months). When I got over to see her, she was up, told me she had gone down for breakfast and lunch, was smiling and alert and making jokes. I haven't seen that in so long. It made my heart sing. Her memory was good. While I know this won't be the end of the issues--It was a good day for her. . . and therefore me.

I did make it to the gym today--I think my trainer wants to kill me. I had a hard time on the bike after all the weight work. My new routine A incluudes, russian twist on the stability ball with a medicine ball, skier (i think that's what they call it), its a lower body russian twist on the stability ball, skull crushers (doing a bridge on the stability ball, tricep extensions over head). Then I had three different exercises on the cables, pull--with a step back lunch, cross-over step chop, and pull with forward stepping lunge (so that;s like 90 lunges per leg). No wonder I had no legs for the bike.

Diane--WTG DD! 12 pounds for her is awesome. How is she doing? And how is your son? WTG on your exercise routine!

Allesandre--there is software out there that can map every path of travel. But I can't say that I've used it. Hospitals are mazes, and my job is to try to make finding your way through them easier. How are you doing today?

Charlene--have a great time at the wedding. Hope you feel great through all of it. Its OK to take a little time off from exercise when you have to let your body heal. I promise you that the exercise will still be there when you feel better!

Rachel--Hope you're doing well and DD is enjoying the retreat. My nephew just came back from his new home and is hanging around town before starting school in a few weeks. That boy really grew up in the last year. It is wonderful to see the young man that he has become.

Hi to everyone else.

Yes, it is a good day, even with a migraine. I am a grateful woman tonight.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:44 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning! I worked on the wedding until after 10 last night. DS's fiance's grandfather had a heart attack yesterday afternoon and is hospitalized! The whole reason the wedding was moved up was so these grandparents could attend as their health is deteriorating and now this! I feel so bad for my future DIL! She was called to the hospital this morning and I hope it's so Papa can assure her and not because it's bad news! I've not got the latest news this morning. Please keep this family in your thoughts. This is suppose to be a happy occasion and I don't want her worrying. LOTS to do today to get ready for rehearsal so am off......

Have a great day!
sports_mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:46 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Oh Charlene--how awful for your DIL. She should be thinking about her upcoming wonderful wedding and not having to worry about her gf. I hope he is doing much better. Enjoy the next few days. Your first child getting married--how special! And don't forget we want pictures of you in that dress!
Old 08-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Charlene: How awful. I hope your future DIL doesn't get bad news and that her grandparents can see her get married. I also hope the wedding is wonderful and you feel terrific in your new dress. And I'm glad your back is doing better.

Beth: So many good things! Yay! I'm glad your mentor is looking out for you and that your mom had such a good day. Here's to more good days in the future!

Diane: How's the snackiness? I definitely get those days. Congrats to your daughter on 12 pounds! It must be nice to be doing similar things.

At my official weigh-in, I was only down 1.7 pounds in the last two weeks. It was a chaotic two weeks, and there were several days in which I probably didn't get enough calories and several more days without adequate protein. I will try to work on the protein and watch the calories. I hope this doesn't indicate a major slow down in weight loss; I have way too much to go to lose less than a pound a week. This has turned out to be a very personal experiment: Make adjustments, test results, re-adjust, and on and on. I just have to keep going.

Here's to all of us moving forward!
Old 08-03-2012, 06:50 PM   #15

Evening slimmers!

I was able to stay on plan 100% today. I've got to get back to losing weight.

Tomorrow is a busy day. My parents are joining us (2 youngest kiddos and me) to go pick up dd18. Dd18 wants to show my parents around campus. Then we are heading on to Peoria to eat at joes crab shack. My kids have been wanting to eat there for awhile.

Looking at getting a new expedition next week. Cant wait! Had thought about getting something smaller until i tried to get 2 car seats and a couple teenagers in one. That was just not going to work. The expedition (much more comfortable than dh's f250 desiel) can also pull our camper for vacations.

Alessandre: hang in there with the scale!

Charlene: prayers for your dil's gf!

Beth: so glad your neighbors have calmed down. So glad your mom had a good day!

Diane: congrats to your dd on her weight loss!!!
Old 08-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Well, I dont know why, it was one of THOSE days yesterday and I unfortunately did NOT get control of my "snackies." Sooo I was up 3 lbs today.. ugh!!!! I did really good today. I was feeling a LOT better, no more fatigue or lightheadedness. I really worked up a sweat in step class, kicked high, and had a lot of energy. I took the boys to the swim club today and swam laps (in a pool, that actually has a lap lane) for about 30 minutes as well. I had to catch my breath in between laps, but I noticed how much more upper body strength I have now! wow! All those classes are really paying off. Tomorrow is curcuit class, followed by yoga.

Charlene: Aww so sorry to hear about your DIL's grandfather.. I hope he is ok! Keep us posted!

Beth: Glad your neighbors have been behaving.. I hope they stay that way for the rest of the time they live there! You got me thinking about the word "grateful".. I don't stop and think often enough about the things I am grateful for. DD is doing really well.. school is starting this month and I think Im going to let her do ECOT, which is at home. I am very unimpressed with the high school here.. not to mention the girl we had to get an in-school restraining order against is going BACK to that school this year. Ugh. My DS seemed to be doing a little better. He is finally all moved in with his dad. My DD and youngest DS went down to spend some time with him.

AlessandrE: Oops! I think I was spelling your name wrong.. with an a instead of an e. I fixed it! Yeah, the snackies only got worse. It seems to happen the same days I get that horrible fatigue. Probably should get my thyroid levels checked again (Im not on meds yet, but keeping an eye on it.. especially since both my sisters have thyroid issues). Yes, its nice that DD is eating similar now. I have been wanting her to eat healthier for a long time. She only recently gained a bunch of weight.. she was always thin.. she was a dancer for 10 years! I think it was a combination of a 4 month long illness (not a lot of activity) and a job allowing her to spend money on fast food often!

Rachel: Oh my gosh.. Peoria? I used to live there with my ex! I lived there about 2 years. I missed San Diego WAY too much! (It was a bit of "culture shock" for me) lol.

Last edited by Annie64; 08-03-2012 at 07:37 PM..
Old 08-04-2012, 03:43 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Sitting in the hotel bathroom typing on the iPad! Hehe My sister returned my phone call at 4:00 a.m. this morning not looking at the clock before she returned my missed call! lol!! So thought I'd post a quick update before trying to nap a little more.

Beth - was so happy to hear about your good day!! You were just blessed that day! I really admire that you contacted the HOA and gave a little positive news about your neighbors since they had been trying. I agree - I think your trainer was trying to kill you!!! LOL!! That workout sounds brutal! I was laughing at the image!! I know you will reap the benefits of having a good mentor soon! Exciting opportunities await you!

Diane - I saw one of those snack attacks on Facebook I think!! Something about a s'mores donut or something?? *snicker* You'll get it back in control. Look how well you did getting back on track after your sister left! Just keep trucking! I am so amazed at how well your dd is doing on plan. Good for her! Reading about all your classes at the gym is really making me want to hurry and move so I can join a gym again! I miss working out with good equipment and I would so love some of those classes you're taking. You're doing so great on the working out!

Rachel - enjoy the campus tour with your parents and dd! What an exciting time! Oh and a new vehicle - that'll be great! I bet you'll be ready to pull that camper when it cools off a bit!

Alessandre - I know too well those "slow weeks" during this losing phase. I went 4 weeks once not losing one single pound! I did exactly what you're doing - reevaluate and readjust! You may need to write everything down you're eating in a journal and evaluate from there. You may be surprised at what's causing the slow loss. It's a great tool. I also jot down my feelings about things happening in my life - you'd be surprised at how much stress can affect loss as well. Hope things begin calming down in your life.

It's WEDDING DAY today!!! The rehearsal went off without a hitch! I got a little emotional. The fish fry was amazing - I have some awesome family members who helped me with it!!! It's was perfect! It was a nice and relaxing time for all. I wore a little top with no straps and a beaded tie. I can't tell you the last time I even went sleeveless but it felt great even though I still have a ways to go! I got lots of compliments on my weight loss, but the funniest/best was from my ds! As we were walking outside he said, "So, what size are those pants?" I asked, "Why? Are they too tight?" He said, "No, but they look really small!" Awwwww! Made me blush!!! I love that kid!!! I posted a few pictures on Facebook from the rehearsal dinner. The reception area is looking absolutely fabulous! The work that has gone into this and the amazing people coming out to help has been truly a blessing! It's going to be such a beautiful wedding!!! Sniff!!! I'll make sure my dd take pictures of me all dressed up and I'll post one tomorrow! Be thinking about me tonight in those HEELS!!! Ack!!! I found out dh and I have to go up and down stairs in front of the church to light a unity candle! I'll be holding on for dear life!!! Me and stairs - not such a good combo! LOL.

On a side note - no back pain at all yesterday!!! Neck giving me fits still but I can so deal with that.

The grandfather is still very ill and will not be out of the hospital for the wedding. His son (bride's father) said he doesn't want his father to die, but he especially doesn't want him to die on his daughter's wedding day. I took that as it's not going to be too long. Such a sad thing for them since this was the reason they moved up the wedding.

Blessings and have a great day everyone!!!! My son is getting married!!!!

Last edited by sports_mom; 08-04-2012 at 03:45 AM..
Old 08-04-2012, 04:25 AM   #18

Good morning slimmers!

Thought id post before we leave for the day. I woke up over 2 hours before my alarm was suppose to go off. but on the plus side im laying in bed with my coffee and ipad.

Scale is down 1 lb this morning after 1 day of good eating.

Charlene: thinking of you today as your ds gets married. What an exciting day! Continued prayers for your dil's grandfather.

Diane: dd18's college is 20 minutes outside of peoria. So im sure we will be visiting there alot.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!
Old 08-04-2012, 05:15 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Girls, my special dil's grandfather died this morning. His wishes for her yesterday when she went to see him was to have her special day no matter what. He'll have the best seat in the house tonight! My son can't believe this and doesn't know what to do! Bless his heart. Such a sad thing to happen on such a special day.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning Ladies,

Charlene-- for your DIL and DS. How very sad that her gf passed this morning. I saw your pic on FB and oo-la-la you was one hot lookin' mama in that shirt. You really looked great! Looking forward to seeing pics from the wedding. Glad the back pain has subsided. And yes, I was blessed on Thursday.

Rachel--good to hear from you. Have a great time today--how fun for your DD to show her grandparents around her new school. It is an exciting and scary time for her, but I'm sure she will do well.

Diane--you lived in Peoria?! I had a client in Peoria, and a lot of my college classmates were from there. You're doing great! And your DD is rockin' Atkins. Tell her we are all proud of her! Isn't it great when you notice good changes in your body, like strength and flexibility! Shows you that whatever you are doing, its working!

Allesandre--how are you doing? Have missed you (doesn't take long to be missed here). Hope you are doing well. Try not to be discouraged with slow progress on the scale. I have noticed that I will have a great weight loss and then little to nothing for a few weeks. But during those few weeks, my measurements shrink. The body just has to adjust in its own unique ways. Take your measurements and I bet you will see a difference.

DH had a gig last night and I ran the sound board. The band played well, there were no glitches with the sound and one of the band members complimented me on how well I managed the mix. I had to monitor sound levels closely since there have been a few complaints who live over a 1/4 mile away. But we were well within acceptable ranges. The restaurant where the band plays is leased from the County so it is in all County residents interest that the restaurant does well which means people come out to eat, drink and dance. These folks just don't want to hear anything. There is only live music outside 8 times a YEAR! and its always over by 10 pm. One of the other band members told me my bu$# was gettiing smaller--I told her that it was because my trainer was trying to kill me. And get this--I did not have that sick feeling in my stomach when I woke up this morning! I've been meditating every day for two weeks (Chopra 21 day meditation challenge) and I've noticed a shift. I'm trying to stay in gratitude, my life is so much better when I do. I should be going to the gym today for my second new routine. I started to wear my orthotics again since I noticed numbness in my foot. My new routines have me moving more and I therefore need more stability and support.

Have a great day!

Last edited by bethr; 08-04-2012 at 11:51 AM..
Old 08-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

I have to run, so really quickly:

Charlene: I'm so sorry that your DIL's grandfather passed without seeing her wedding. That is so sad. What a measure of the person he was to wish her to have a special day. I hope his wish came true and all of you have a wonderful, special day.

Beth: "My trainer is trying to kill me". Keep fighting back!

Thanks for the encouragement. I agree: We all have those slowing down moments, and I have to find a way to get through it. I figure it doesn't matter if I'm enthusiastic or discouraged, as long as I keep on going.

Gah! I just spent my entire free time (= time without the kids) for the weekend tutoring someone in Organic Chemistry. I'm really glad to help, but now my kids are back! And demanding attention! (As I write this, there is a 5 year old who keeps asking "what are you writing what are you writing are you done yet what are you writing"...gah!)

Hope everyone is having a pester-free weekend!
Old 08-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

I've done really good today. Instead of circuit class I did a harder step class than the one I usually do, followed by yoga class. Woah! Good step workout! Yoga felt a little awkward I guess because I haven't done it in 3 weeks, plus for some reason the transitions were weird. I am trying to push myself a little harder in all my classes so I can get to the next level fitness-wise... I want to work on my flexibility and cardio. I think I want to start swimming more also.

Charlene: Oh no! That is SO sad! How awful for your DIL and DS on their wedding day. I guess in a way, perhaps her gf will now be able to be at the wedding in spirit. I was so hoping he would be ok.

Beth: Yeah, Peoria was.. interesting! Not a bad place, but a lot of bad memories there. I was pregnant, my ex was in the Navy and always gone (you can only imagine), I had no car, and I missed my family more than I thought I would.....Yes! I love realizing how much progress I've made like that.. just doing something I struggled with before. Not only would it have killed my arms, but I would have problems breathing sometimes swimming like that, but I kept going! Mind you, I dont swim like a "swimmer", I dont like to put my face in the water (unless I have a mask on) but I love swimming anyway! .... Hang in there, you KNOW I know what it's like waking up with that sick feeling in your stomach every day.. I may have to look into this meditation stuff.

Rachel: Peoria is actually a neat place, but like I said, way too many bad memories with the ex there. (we split up the first time back then and I went back to San Diego). I do remember how it occasionally smelled there Some factory made the whole town smell like beer!

Alessandre: Yes! Just. Keep. GOING!... I remember well the days of little ones demanding your attention like that Thats why I think the clip of Stewie from Family Guy is SO funny: Stewie: "Lois! Lois! Lois! Lois! Lois! Lois! Mom! Mom! Mom! Mommy! Mommy! Mommy! Mama! Mama! Mama! Ma! Ma! Ma! Ma! Mum! Mum! Mum! Mum! Mummy! Mummy! Mumma! Mumma! Mumma! Lois: WHAT!? Stewie: Hi!

Last edited by Annie64; 08-04-2012 at 03:55 PM..
Old 08-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #23

Afternoon slimmers!

We are having a 1/2 way relaxing day inside. I'm not feeling the greatest. I didnt even want a pool day today which means im sick.

We had a really good time yesterday. Joe's crab shack was good. Campus visit was good. Picking up dd18 was wonderful!

Diane: you are doing great with your workouts!

Charlene: im sorry to hear about your dil's gf. So sad!

Beth: sounds like you are doin great running the sound board for you dh's band!
Old 08-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sammi4man
Stats: 223/212.5/150
WOE: lower carb, w/fruit and veggies
Start Date: 7/15/12
I understand fully well, one day, one hour at a time, the Low Carb way is the best
sammi4man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sammi4man
Stats: 223/212.5/150
WOE: lower carb, w/fruit and veggies
Start Date: 7/15/12
About myself

I just joined Low Carb Friends and I already love it, the recipes is awesome, to hear other people and their own challenges is so great.

I love LC and hope to remain on it, I started 6 weeks ago and feel so much better, I have lost 10.5 pounds in that time, and found a miracle called Carbquik and love learning to cook and bake the low carb way.

I have been married 31 years, I have two children and 3 grandchildren. I want to gain better health arthritis bothers me so the weight is a factor in how I feel, losing will not only make me look better it will be way more healthier for me.

I want to invite anyone to add me to their buddy lists, having friends is a tool in itself and so helpful
sammi4man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Sammi4man. Please join us in our challenge. Each challenge lasts 3 months (tied to the seasons). Generally we pick a goal, whatever it may be (lose a certain number of pounds, eat clean, exercise--whatever you want). We are a small group so you don't get lost. Some of us have been around here a long time. Jump right in!

Rachel--sorry you're not feeling well. Take it easy--we all need a quiet day every so often.

Diane--two classes in a row--amazing! You're doing great!

Charlene--can't wait to hear more about the wedding. I saw the group pix on FB and want to see more detail of that awesome dress!

Allesandre--how's it going today. I have a dog pestering me to go outside. But that's the worst of the pestering that I must live with.

I did nothing yesterday--NOTHING! I didn't even get out of my pjs. I think the last month has caught up with me--a lot of stress and I am now relaxing. Same for dh. I am hoping to get to the gym today--that's my goal.

Have a good day everyone!
Old 08-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Alrighty then!

I did make it to the gym and did my B routine for the first time. The renegade rows weren't that bad, but I only used 15 pound weight instead of the 25 pound weight that I was using for rows. I'll know tomorrow how hard the workout really was based upon how sore everything is.

See ya tomorrow!
Old 08-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Beth - got ya some close ups of the dress posted!

I'm going to try the new workout plan starting tomorrow. I'm doing Jamie Eason's LiveFit. We'll see how it goes. I'm going to go easy for a while. No back pain for 3 days now. But haven't done a lick of exercise in over a week. I may be sore!

Sammi4man - welcome aboard! Post often! I love this WOE!

My DIL's grandfather's funeral is Tuesday. Caity was doing well - we had brunch with them today before heading back home. They were on their way to spend some of their wedding money/gift cards for their new apartment. She's sent me a few pics today of how they decorated the bedroom and living room. Looks like they are busy making their house a home.

Hey Diane! You are really working hard!!

Rachel- I sure hope you're not getting sick!

Alessandre - do I remember those days when the kids were smaller! But, I have to tell you, every time I am in the bathroom, my teenage girls still holler, "MOM!" LOL
Old 08-06-2012, 08:02 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Got in day 1 of LiveFit. It was chest and triceps. She said if you are not advanced, don't start the cardio for 4 weeks, but since I have been working out so long, I may still do some cardio now and again. I am even semi sticking to her diet plan because she essentially is lower carb and when she does suggest carbs, I'm substituting - like this morning instead of corn tortilla - I had a low carb one. One thing she says is eat within one hour of waking. HARD for me to do but I did it today.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:06 AM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

I am SO tired of this rollercoaster! Good days with energy followed by a day like yesterday and today where I feel SO BLAH. Barely did step class this morning. Did the step part and sat out for a while. I hate this.. I have NO motivation today for anything. Stress is starting to kick my rear again.. still no child support money (going on 3 weeks), and my eating today so far is bad. It was really good yesterday until 8pm when I got a bag of wheat pita chips and cheese dip. So of course the scale went up a bit. Hmm.. Im wondering if it has anything to do with caffeine? I didnt have any yesterday or today and I was very low energy. I gave up caffeine for so long but I guess it snuck its way back into my life in the form of Starbucks frappucinos! I dont know.. that wouldnt make me feel breathless tho. I know I know.. I need to go back to the doctor and get my thyroid levels checked.. I will soon.. probably when school starts again in a few weeks.

So, Im not sick, but Im really not feeling good. UGH! I am supposed to take the boys to the swim club too.. I wasn't expecting that today as I usually take them on Fridays, but its part of my job. Maybe Ill feel better getting in the pool. Ill check back later...

Last edited by Annie64; 08-06-2012 at 08:07 AM..