Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 06:10 AM   #241
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.6/336.4/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 11/11/13
Morning! It's the weekend - yea!!!!

We are looking at a hot week. At 4:30 this morning it was 93 degrees - ouch. 110 and 111 until further notice.

Anyway, on plan, hoping to lose weight on my weigh in day. But, I am noticing my body feels different -mushroom cap is a little flatter, bra seems looser (sorry guys!), etc. I know that sounds funny for someone my size to notice a difference with just 13 pounds, but I can!

Have a great day everybody - stay cool!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2012, 07:15 AM   #242
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/236.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
uh, marilee, 13 lbs. is almost 3 - 5Lb. bags of sugar...pick them up and carry them around the house for ten minutes and then tell me you shouldn't be able to feel the difference when you put them down!...what you are doing is incredible and healthy...you've lost about 4% of your body weight in a week!!!...KEEP IT UP AND STAY STRONG!...btw, what are you doing up at 6 a.m. on a saturday?...you been hanging out with lucy too long!

and lucy, i'm happy to hear you are still working - i bet they love you there...hope the lawn is dormant and won't need mowing til september or after you sell it - whichever comes first :-)

where the heck is kbeth?...

i ate more than i should have yesterday - skirt steak and pork tenderloin on the grill last night and it was so good, i kept eating...i feel heavy today and need a couple of very light days and a lot of water to feel better...

may head to maine today for a night or two...hope y'all have a great day!

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 08-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #243
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
The lawn looked ok so I didn't mow. phew! It is 96 here right now. Hope FF is ok and camping out with a tall cold drink in front of the ac.

Have a good time in Maine if you go Tony. That freezing water would feel good today. I bet your pool water is almost too warm. On the gulf it would get like that. Felt like bath water. Of course that really helped those hurricanes get revved up once they entered the gulf.

Marilee, I am so trying to keep my calories down along with the vlc to get some results similar to you. You are our inspiration!

Bought ground beef, kielbasa, some sirloin tips, some deli ham and a tomato at the grocery store. Still don't know what I will make for dinner yet.

Hope you all have a lovely and cool evening!
Old 08-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #244
Major LCF Poster!

hey abi, we may still make it to maine, but haven't yet...our yard is full of big, beautiful trees and i hate cutting anything down, so our pool gets lots of shade and doesn't really get too warm...it is 77-78 degrees today which is refreshing to me and i spent a couple of hours swimming today...

salt has been my enemy these past couple of weeks and i will be trying to flush the next few days...

today:
b: a few cantaloupe cubes and cherries
l: salad with feta, evoo and acv
s: 2 oz. grilled pork tenderloin
d: ?
Old 08-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #245
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
We went to a huge farmer's market this morning. We were about done when a thunderstorm rolled through. We needed the rain. I picked up green onions, tomatoes, kohlrabi, beets, chokeberries, green beans and honey. Yummy. We were going to get some melon but ran to the car instead.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #246
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tony, I'm up every morning at 4:30 - the kitties want fed! The good thing is that on Saturday and Sunday and I either go back to sleep or take naps later in the day.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:17 AM   #247
Major LCF Poster!

Just made some of Linda Sue's tuna muffins for the first time. Only had a mini muffin pan. Not sure I like them. A little tartar sauce on top made them taste better. Will stick with tuna and mayo instead and have my eggs on the side. lol

Vicki, you got a good haul from the farmer's market. Sorry the rain chased you away before you could buy that melon.

Marilee, those animals rule the roost don't they!

Tony, 78 degrees for your pool would be refreshing. I'd keep those shade trees!

Have a great Sunday!
Old 08-05-2012, 06:03 AM   #248
Major LCF Poster!

i'm imagining lucy eating a nice, hearty breakfast at the cc right now...bacon and eggs maybe - or an omelet?...

vicki, nice job choosing healthy options for your eating plan...having good stuff around to fend off hunger when it comes, is one of the key strategies to success...how are you doing?

marilee, how is the mf diet going this weekend?...share your menu when you have time :-)

went to a comedy club show at the amherst country club last night featuring juston mckinney...for those who have never seen him, he is a comic from new hampshire who has been on the tonight show, conan, etc. and he is hilarious!...i had never been to this cool little venue but saw it in the "things to do in your city" on-line site at 4 yesterday afternoon and they still had a few seats so we took our three sons and one of their GFs...

they had a cool outdoor pavillion - seated 120 people at tables and we had dinner there before the show...he is sooo damn funny - we laughed non-stop for about 90 minutes!...i had a turkey club and threw away 80% of the bread - and a pickle...

not sure what today's plan will be - one son went to the beach with his gf and the other probably will do the same when he wakes up...may do something with the 3rd son - maybe a fisher cat's game if it isn't too damn hot...

hope everyone has a great sunday!...stay strong!
Old 08-05-2012, 07:24 AM   #249
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Morning!

Oh, here's the menu for the day:

B-MF maple and brown sugar oatmeal
S-MF strawberry shake
L-MG cream of chicken soup
S-MF S'more crunch bar
D-7 ounces grilled bonless/skinless chicken breast and 1-1/2 cups broccolli
S-MF brownie

I got on the scale today because I couldn't stand it (official weigh in is tomorrow morning at 4:30 AM sharp ) and I've lost 1.4 pounds this week.

Have a great day everybody.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #250
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
Here the heck I am!!!
Brother's wedding was AWESOME! It took place about an hour north of my home so everyone except us had to travel. Lots of family visited and stayed here, so the weeks prior was kbeth and DH cleaning the house top to bottom. It was extremely hard work as my husband and I admitted to one another that our home was starting to look a bit like an episode of "Hoarders." We were so busy and exhausted that we didn't really pay attention to what we were eating. I'm going to weigh in on Tuesday. I know I've put some lbs back on...but it'll be good to see exactly how much, then get to work!!!
Going to have a quiet day and finally catch up on fellow blitzers. TTYL!!
<---Avatar Summer 2009. Soooo close to goal and then had a mad, passionate weekend with sugar. Let me be a lesson to you. Not sure you're strong enough to cheat and then get right back on plan?? Then don't do it!!
Old 08-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #251
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
Okay....seeing as how I am probably a month behind, I thought I would go thru and reach each person's posts one at a time. (this may take awhile! lol)

Tony...where to start?? I KNOW! With the kick-ass goal reward that awaits us!!! Dood, that alone is worth making every effort to get it together...how fun!!

Your kids did the roof?? So, do they just figure this stuff out on their own, or does your former lumber business have anything to do with their education? Or, should I say, lumber business that you may once again own? It would be really cool if you could work it out to have a studio in the building. Having access to a studio closer to home would be really nice, wouldn't it?

The gravy...a carrot or two helps with the acid? That's so cool. My Italian husband would be so thrilled if I started making my own gravy. Also, he gets heartburn so badly anymore...do you think the carrots in the sauce would help with that?

Lastly, I am so glad that "food is fuel, food is medicine" struck a chord with you. I occasionally lose sight of that...but it is soo true!!
Old 08-06-2012, 04:22 AM   #252
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
FF is back. maintained a code of silence as usual over the weekend.

I stayed indoors again, doing nothing at all. I will bring my pants to the cleaners one day this week after work. I still have 3 in the rotation. I was doing a great deal of channel surfing yesterday. I did get to watch one of the many Claude Rains movies almost in its entirety, entitled MR SKEFFINGTION, also starring Bette Davis. I was hoping for "Here Comes Mr Jordan", but not this time around, unfortunately. So, back at work. At least it gets me out of the house. btw, Tony, was that a miniskirt steak, or a maxi? Americas's Test Kitchen was doing pan fried steak. Mine is just as good w/o all the sauce prep. I just use the liquid released from the steak itself, which includes some butter in the last minute of cooking. the 3 important lessons (which I have learned in the past)are as follows: #1at dry whatever meat you are pan frying, OR it will steam, not brown.#2: Make sure the meat is brought up to room temperature. When it is done to your liking (medium rare for me);#3: take it out and tent it with foil for at least 10 minutes, to let the juices re-distribute. If u follow those 3 rules, success is guaranteed. FF
Old 08-06-2012, 05:53 AM   #253
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Glad to see you checking in kbeth.

Marilee, can't wait to here your to-date wt loss.

ff, you should be getting some cooler weather now, we are.

Abi, I love tuna and salmon patties/muffins.

Tony, unfortunately my actions speak louder than my words
Old 08-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #254
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning Kbeth, Abi, Vicki, ff and Tony!

Had good news on the scale - down 2.4 pounds last week for a total of 16.2 since 7/23. Doing the happy dance I'm actually enjoying the plan. I don't obsess about food and what to have and what not to have; how much; etc. My mind is focused on this and that's that!

I hope everyone has a great day!
Old 08-06-2012, 10:12 AM   #255

overjoyed, gibby, that u are so upbeat...

and succeeding on your plan. i am feeling better than i did a week ago. eventually, when the weather stays BELOW 70 all day, i will come out of my shell. FF
Old 08-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #256
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yahoo Marilee, you are going to smash this blitz.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #257
Major LCF Poster!

Marilee, that is AWESOME!!!...i am so proud of you...keep posting and sharing - we love hearing the details!

vicki, you seem to be in a better place and i'm guessing you are eating better as you are buying healthy stuff...if you keep the other stuff out of the house, you will do great...

ff, why don't you post on weekends?...sick of us?...lol...thanks for the "browning" tips...

lucy must have overslept today! :-)

kbeth!...so good to see you back - i know it must have been a busy time with your brother's wedding - happy it went so well!...don't worry about the scale - you sound ready to head into the home stretch of summer with renewed mojo!

the kids had never done a roof before but being around the lumber yard and contractors and me teaching them the basics since they were kids, etc all helped...they built a deck on our house with very little help from a contractor...they are smart and have all the right tools...one son is very slow and meticulous and the other is quicker and gets stuff done so they make a great team...the youngest boy is learning from them, so it is cute...

owning a part of the old lumber yard would be cool in many ways...the people in the community miss our family business and the concerts we used to hold too, so i could re-start the concerts and get back into the community without having to be there 24/7 like i was before...i will be mostly a landlord in this new venture if it happens and will take a salary from the rental income so i will be free to write and have a fairly open schedule...seems to make sense...i may have a writing studio here but it will not affect how often i am in nashville as that is where my co-writers and recording studios are located, but i am looking forward to having a place to work again!...

kbeth, the carrots would probably help with the heartburn, but when i used to get heartburn after eating gravy, it was usually a result of overdoing it on the carbs - bread and pasta...i had acid reflux almost every night before i cut down on carbs...now if i have pasta, it is a very small portion and i eat more of the meat and i NEVER get heartburn...

throw in a few carrots and have hubby skip the bread and only have a small amount pf pasta - maybe 4 or 5 ravioli for example and he may be able to enjoy gravy again!...

and thanks again for the food is fuel, food is medicine mantra...still using it :-)
Old 08-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #258

frankly, i am not addicted to my computer.

I may use it tonight. Depends how i feel. I am also apprehensive that IF I use it too often, I will hit into a virus, that will cost me oodles. Of course, once i retire (6 months 9 days from now), i will not have my work computer to fall back on. Of course, i could use the ones at the public library. No, i will never get sick of y'all. Y'all are my lifeline. w/o the blitzes, and LCF in general, i could not fit through the door. FF
Old 08-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #259
Major LCF Poster!

Ha Ha Tony, like my animals would ever let me oversleep. It was 2:30 this morning. I had some computer problems as usual. It kept saying it couldn't access any web site I went to. Not sure if it is my laptop dieing or my wireless router. I have comcast so maybe they are falling down on the job out here in the boonies. lol

By the way, I had my usual 2 eggs scrambled and an order of bacon at the cc on Sunday. Just me and my sil for breakfast.

Marilee, I can not tell you how great it is to hear of your fantastic success so far and that you like the plan to boot!

Beth, glad you are back posting with us. Your food is fuel food is medicine has helped up all!

Vicki, I am sending my leftover tuna muffins to you! Enjoy! lol

FF, I probably have that computer virus you are trying to avoid. It is the pits!

Tony, what kind of concerts did you used to put on? Did you perform at them too? Do your children all play guitars and sing? A NH Sound of Music family?

Have a great evening all!
Old 08-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #260
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I went clothes shopping today for the conference and something to wear when I start back to work. What a drag and depressing sight. GAG So, I bought junk at Wmart and grocery store and shoved it down my throat.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #261
Major LCF Poster!

hey abs, i did a nashville songwriter series and brought my friends and co-writers up to play for folks...we set up 3 different venues (indoor/outdoor, accommodating 120-600 people) at the store and chose which one to use based on time of year and weather...every concert was completely full - it was free to attend but the writers sold CDs and we collected donations...EVERYONE loved them and i would do one every 8 weeks or so - i think we did a total of 10...

i wrote a song specifically for the last concert, a week before I closed the store and i performed it - it was the only time i played at any of the shows...i got a standing ovation but it was not for my singing or playing - trust me - but folks really appreciated the kind of store we ran and the concerts...

that's why it would be nice to bring them back :-)

ff, i don't know where i'd be if i had not found you and your blitzes on april 7, 2010...probably on a fat farm...lol...

well, big news, kids...i called the surgeon today to see if they had received the results of my cat scan and they had and the girl said she was about to call me to ask if september 25th would be a good day to to be filet-ed...lol...she didn't use that word, but that's what i was thinking...i told her it was...so, they are 90% sure they will do it on that tuesday...

i would like to be in 1derland or close to it by then, so that means i have to lose about 16 lbs. in 7 weeks...i will also have to have a physical to get cleared for surgery and will have to donate 2 units of blood for myself before that date...

i've shared my fear of being under anesthesia with y'all and so i have seven weeks to say and do anything i want to make sure gets said and done - just in case <gulp>

had ribeyes on the grill tonight along with some sauteed zucchini and onions...skipped the fried potatoes i made for the kids...

hope everyone is having a great night!

Last edited by tony8; 08-06-2012 at 05:18 PM..
Old 08-07-2012, 02:23 AM   #262
Major LCF Poster!

Tony, those concerts sounded wonderful! Super on the standing ovation! Do you have a recording of you singing you could link us to like you did before? We would love to hear you sing one of your songs! "Doing and saying anything you want to make sure gets said and done - just in case" is the best way for all of us to live facing surgery or not.

Vicki, been there done that. Sorry for the depressing shopping trip. Today is a new day and new beginning. Start fresh and as soon as you start to be tempted today come back here and post to snap yourself out of it. We are here for each other! All we have to do is get through today.

FF, you are our lifeline too! We are so grateful you started this Blitz way back when!

Have a great Tuesday all!
Old 08-07-2012, 04:27 AM   #263

so glad to be at work today!!!

the building MGMT has sanctioned work on the underground heat pipes. In order for them to test the pipes, they need to put the heat on. It will be on from 10:am to noon. so happy to be here. Pity, Tony, that the surgery cannot be Sept 23-the birthday of the divine Augustus. I may have mentioned that on the way to this wretched planet, we went a little past the 20th century and landed first in Augustan Rome. I got to know him quite well. He, of course, could not have known me, as it would louse up the temporal guide-lines that even we Ferenghi are compelled to follow. I never, changing the subject, associated acid reflux with carbs. but since they are responsible for so many evils(the bad carbs, anyway), it is reasonable that they are responsible for that too. Just before they put me to sleep, i was going to quote the line Jerry uses, in the episode with the Junior Mints. I cannot even quote it here, as it will be censored. but I decided in the last moment, just to say GOODNIGHT, GRACIE. all went well. FF
Old 08-07-2012, 04:54 AM   #264
Major LCF Poster!

ff, i forget what jerry said - hmmm, i'll have to wait to watch it again...i can't even imagine being in that situation - i have been so lucky to have never been that vulnerable for 53 years - it's gonna be an adventure if nothing else!...the next seven weeks are gonna be very reflective and interesting for me...

abs, even if i could, i would not subject you to my performance...haha!...so, is it possible that this candle thing could turn into a long-term gig?...would you want it to?...are you still applying for other jobs?...

vicki, i agree with what abi said...the good news is you are still here and every day is another chance to start down the road to better choices...it ain't easy - we all struggle - the first obstacle is finding the will to stop buying the stuff you don't want to eat...you can't eat it until you buy it, and that is your first and best line of defense...

7 weeks from today i hope i am in the best possible health to face what i will face...the motivation is cranked up another notch...there's a silver lining in almost everything!...lol...

let's have a great day, kids!
Old 08-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #265

staying away from the cafeteria today.

they have fried chicken, and it is incredibly delicious especially with their cole slaw. I cannot change the past, and i have no way to know what choices i will make in the future. but today, i am being strong. all i know is, i will have a feast at home making low carb versions of this and that WHEN the temps come down. FF
Old 08-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #266
Major LCF Poster!

great job, ff...i am very proud of you!!!...do you mind grabbing me a breast, a thigh and a wing on your way out tonight?...lol...

good day today:
b: few cubes of honeydew
l: few cubes of cantaloupe
d: salad w/ feta, evoo and acv

i know i will be hungry again before curfew, but am trying to fill up on water!

forgot to weigh in this morning before breakfast so will weigh in the a.m....

how's everyone else doing?...
Old 08-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #267
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey everyone! Crazy couple of days at work.

Tony, you have great kids. I bet you are real proud of them. And you concerts sound like a great thing to start up again.

ff-good job on staying away from the fried chicken. I love fried chicken. When we kids had our birthday, we could ask mom to make whatever we wanted and my favorite was fried chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy and green beans sauteed in butter with toasted almonds. So yummy!

Vicki, I know your frustration. Hang in there kiddo!

Well, down 17.6 pounds since 7/23. I have now lost the 10 from the first challenge and am working on the 10 for this one.

It's a hot week - 111-113 for the next 7 days. Cheez!

Have a great rest of the day - TTYL!

Marilee
Old 08-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #268
Major LCF Poster!

WOWOWOWEEEEE marilee!!!...that is AMAZING!...once again, you are leading the way, like you did before!...i knew you could do it...i'm gonna try to race you to the next century for fun...i'll post my weight tomorrow...i've got a feeling you're gonna smoke me! :-)
Old 08-08-2012, 01:48 AM   #269
Major LCF Poster!

Fried chicken! I could live on it - the crispier the better. Oh, well, I can have my memories.

Vicki, I am mashing up my tuna muffins with lots of mayo and putting the "tuna salad" on a bed of lettuce. Very good tasting by turning them into a tuna salad with the celery, onions and green peppers in it. I hate to waste food so glad I figured out how to eat them.

I bought some deli ham and have been cutting thin slivers of cream cheese and rolling them up in several slices of the ham for lunch. Finger food. Filling and satisfying.

Tony, after those singing lessons I bet you are selling yourself short! I am still making candles but still feel very temporary there. I am grateful for the job and am not looking for anything at the moment. It is too stressful to be new at a job so I will stick with this as long as they need me unless something else much better comes along and falls in my lap so to speak. It's funny that the employment co. still sends me weekly e-mails with jobs out there. I haven't seen anything better or what I could actually do come along yet.

FF, I almosted fainted when I read about them turning your heat on to test the pipes until I read you were at work in the ac while they were doing it! phew!!

Have a wonderful day blitzers!

Last edited by Abigale; 08-08-2012 at 01:50 AM..
Old 08-08-2012, 04:31 AM   #270

i am pleased with myself re: the show of strength...

BUT even more pleased with my fellow Blitzers for all your progress. When i finally DO make my virtually zero carb fried chicken, I am so going to enjoy it! I may even try one of Linda Sue's side dishes as a contorno, like mock fried rice, or a mock potato dish. However, not until the temp in my kitchen is 70 degrees or lower. I will also have to tighten my budget to minimize the damage I am doing with all the take-out, and AC usage. I take pride in my 3 ingredients or less, and 1 saute pan approach to weekday cooking. Meanwhile, back to the reality of the dog days of summer....hot and humid, it seems for the foreseeable future. FF
Closed Thread