Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 04:15 AM   #61
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
glad to have u back, Tony!!!

summer is really doing a number on me, and the number is 666. All i can do, is my best, until the chill of Autumn arrives. right now, the 1 meal a day IS the best i can do. I did NOT go to Duncan' and enjoy the 3 scoops of pistachio. I did not leave the apartment except to throw the garbage out. best decision I made. I had a quiet weekend cough-wise. It may have been bronchitis, but there is little left. I DID find a cough medicine, Friday evening, with no sugar or HFCS. that was not easy to do, especially because all the cough medicines were on the bottom shelf, at Shoprite, and when i bent down to pick one up to read the ingredients, it would start another coughing fit. . the brand name is GOODSENSE: tussin cf cough & cold. it is distributed by PERRIGO out in Michigan. I never heard of them before. When is the hip surgery due, Tony? Did they set a date? FF

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2012, 04:34 AM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
FF, glad the coughing has subsided for the most part and you found a sugarfree cough syrup. I will have to look for that brand. When I get a cold I always get a cough that lasts for weeks.

So happy you did not have melt down this weekend even though you were melting.

Someone quoted on a post yesterday Dr. J. Berardi who said "Hunger is not an emergency". I keep telling myself that!
Old 07-09-2012, 05:18 AM   #63
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Abi and Tony, you guys crack me up.

FF, so glad you didn't break down and get the ice cream; major accomplishment.

"Hunger is not an emergency". Hmmmm, I don't expect that it is, I rarely let myself experience hunger though. I tend to graze and snack on whatever.

I bought a huge can of a snack mix at Sam's club last week. I thought it was a huge can of mixed nuts, should have know and read the list of ingredients. The label said Mixed Nuts, guess you can't go by that it had sesame sticks and other chunks of carby stuff along with a miniscule amount of nuts, mainly sunflower kernels. Anyways, I was eating it just to be eating it. I didn't really like it. I sent the can off to work with DH today, he can keep it there, I am sure others will eat it.

5-28 260.4
6-28 243.4 down 17 lbs
7-28 231.4 down 12 lbs: Total - 29 lbs
8-28 218.2 down 13.2 lbs Total - 42.2 lbs
9-28 206.4 down 11.8 lbs Total - 54 lbs
Old 07-09-2012, 07:04 AM   #64
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/225.4/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
ff, sorry that dang cough held on for so long and that the summer has been such a time of suffering for you...i read about "ways to stay cool" and there were some interesting ones - eating spicy food, placing a bowl of ice in front of a fan that is blowing on you, using a spray bottle filled with refrigerated water to spritz yourself, placing an ice pack on your "pulse points", keeping your shoes off, etc. and thought about you...

i, too, am proud of you for avoiding the ice cream - now, you have saved that indulgence for some other time when you really, really want/need it...good for you!

no date set form surgery yet, although i'm guessing i will hear from them pretty soon about it...once that is set, everything else starts happening: red cross schedules 2 blood donations so i can give myself blood, my doc has to examine me to clear me for surgery, etc...we will probably go to nashville around the 24th for a week and we are hoping to take some time to travel between august 11th and the 23rd...i'm hoping the medical stuff allows that...

for me, what i throw in that shopping cart is reflective of my intentions and motivation over the subsequent several days...i used to convince myself i was buying off-plan stuff for others in the house and could avoid it myself, but that was simple denial...i know better and how well i do during a given week, starts at the market...

gotta run and show some rental space to a potential tenant...i will check back later...have great day kids!

where's kbeth?

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 07-09-2012, 10:14 AM   #65

I will not eat the spicy(i assume u mean HOT) food,

BUT spritzing myself with ice water, and a few others u mention are quite practical. i will most certainly try it. Currently, i am in a soup mood, and i am going to get a couple of cans that i can just nuke to get hot. I specifically want minestrone and/or vegetable soup. the heartier ones are meals in themselves. I suppose if there are beans or potatos in them, i will accept it, insofar as i am having only 1 meal a day. I will spend lots of time at SHOPRITE reading labels and pick one that is not obnoxiously carby or with excess sodium. I am beginning to believe that what works for me is NOT PERPETUAL Induction level carbs, but making small changes from time to time. What is the point of TRYING to stay on VLC, if I am going off of it every other day? I am still wondering how i made such progress last summer. I will make some attempt to get outside this week after work, and start walking. I really hate this sloth mode I got myself into. FF
Old 07-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #66
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, let me know how the cooling techniques work if you try any of them...beans and potatoes are both whole, healthy foods that are beneficial in reasonable quantities...i think we just gotta pick our spots and not overdo the carbs and stay away from frankencarbs and processed carby junk...for instance, there is NO WAY eating a nice plum is unhealthy - but that doesn't mean eating a bushel is okay or eating a box of fruit snacks with added sugar etc, is a good idea...

we all know the drill by now - it's just a matter of finding the will and motivation to follow the course that will bring us results...and we will not succeed UNTIL we are motivated sufficiently...i really do believe it is as simple as that...it's the answer to why you made so much progress last summer and the answer to why i was gaining while you were losing...

i believe we will all get there eventually - why? - because we are all intelligent people and we wouldn't be still at this, and still not giving up, if we didn't really want to achieve the ultimate goal of reaching a lower, healthier weight...so i think we will all find the right motivation and get to where we are going - at some point...

i'm having another good day today...didn't eat a thing til 3:30 this afternoon, and then had some leftover chicken and a few spoonfuls of tuna with mayo and chopped onion...i'm making ribeyes tonight - they are beautiful and thick, but i will only eat a small qty (3-4 oz) and some roasted veggies...

trying to drink a lot too...hope everyone is having a great day today!
Old 07-09-2012, 04:38 PM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
Checkin in!
I have a Summer cold, TOM and a sunburn. Blech. I feel like hiding under a rock. Or having cookies and Ice cream.
So, hiding under a rock it is. See y'all in a few days.
And Tony...I do plan to do weekly weigh-ins. I think that helped me. And I'd like lose 10 lbs. That's just over 3 a month. That's doable, right? Right!
Old 07-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #68
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

sounds good, kbeth!...sorry you are under the weather and a rock ;-)

i just ate a bit too much steak...the ribeyes were so good, i did not stop at 3-4 ounces...i'm guessing it was 12 or so...

bought a small (4 tiny slice) blackberry pie and cut it up for the fam and i didn't even have a taste!...

how's everyone else doing today?
Old 07-10-2012, 01:17 AM   #69
Major LCF Poster!

I beat Tony, I beat Tony!

So my day is off to a good start. lol Had an interview with a company yesterday that works with disabled young adults but it was only going to be 16 hours a week and I really need full time. I said I would call them this morning to say if I was interested or not. In the meantime the employment office called to say Kringle Candle needed help again so Lucy is off to the chocolate factory again at 7am.

Beth, so sorry you are feeling rough but glad you are up to our next challenge!

I am a little worried about keeping with my Fast Five plan having to take a lunch break. I did pack a bottle of water and a couple of small slices of almond butter bread with a little butter on them. I really need to wait until break to start eating but can I sit for 30 minutes in the break room just sipping water? Time will tell.

Tony, I am thinking of that small pie that was cut into 4 pieces? How did your big family share that? lol

FF, it seems cooler out this morning. Hope you will be getting a break today. How many days til retirement now? What kind of soup did you get at Shoprite?

Vicki, good for you for sending the can of snack mix in to work with DH. I'm afraid I would have just kept trying to pick out the few nuts in it and then "accidentally" started on the carby stuff.

Marilee, are you able to enjoy that beautiful patio or is it just too hot right now?

Wishing all the blitzers a great Tuesday!

Last edited by Abigale; 07-10-2012 at 01:18 AM..
Old 07-10-2012, 04:15 AM   #70

i got 4 cans of progresso lower sodium soup.

mostly having veggies, some beans and taters, and some protein. Each can has 2 servings (like i am gonna eat ONLY 1 serving!!!). the whole can is about 40 gr of carbs, and under 1000 mg of sodium. Based on the fact that it will be the ONLY meal of the day, that will have to do. Obviously i will have to eat it in an air- conditioned room. F-7 months and 5 days to retirement-F
Old 07-10-2012, 06:05 AM   #71
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

very funny, abi! :-)

since emmy is at unh and sarah is in nashville, it was just dw and three sons for dinner last night, so 4 slices were perfect (since i did not eat one)...the pies are made daily in windham, nh, the next town over, and i have tasted them in the past and they use very little sugar - they are wonderful!...

good luck at the wax museum - hope you took your veeta-vita-veggimans today!...

ff, so did you have one can of soup as your only meal yesterday?...if so, i am impressed - how many calories is that?...hope you have a great day at work...

too much meat last night and i feel heavy this morning - gonna try to have a light day with a lot of water...
Old 07-10-2012, 07:31 AM   #72
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/336.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
It is way too hot to enjoy the patio - record breaking heat the next two days - 113 degrees or there about. We hibernate in the summer like "normal" folks hibernate in the winter.

I need to buy patio furniture, too. I haven't done that yet since I had it landscaped so close to summer, I knew I wouldn't be using it.

I'm struggling, guys. Very depressed, but I'll get over it.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:14 AM   #73
Blabbermouth!!!

Marilee, I know I need a good swift kick in the butt. I have been struggling for a very long time now.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:02 AM   #74
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/336.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
There are more things involved than just my eating.....but I won't go into it here.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:13 AM   #75

i do not know the calorie count of the soup...

because i do not count calories, nor do i care about them. I shall have the 1st can this evening in the living room, listening to some vinyl. Regrettably, the sound oif the AC compromises the experience somewhat, forcing me to increase the volume. I am going to try to be more mature about the next heat wave due promptly on Thursday. I am sorta ashamed of myself, but not completely. I just hate dripping with sweat. when the over 90 temps arrive, there is never even a breeze. but whatever comes, I will try to get to Marine Park in my fave spot. It is usually about 10 degrees cooler than 1 bench over. the trip from there to the nearest coffee place/bathroom will be my exercise for the day. I still have not been to THE BAKERY yet. they probably think i died. FF
Old 07-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #76
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, we can all vouch for the fact that you are very much ALIVE!...are the ww points tied to calories?...i don't know how that works...

marilee, i hope whatever is wrong, rights itself soon...you are so sweet and don't deserve to struggle at anything...let me know if i can help...

you too, vicki...if it's the eating plan, you will do better when you are ready...focus on finding the motivation...

after a week where i thought i was depriving myself, i gained 1.4 lbs. and weighed in at 216...i am not bothered at all - i'm eating well and healthy and feel great...i think i ate too many restaurant meals and that usually means too much salt...i'm confident i will lose it and more during week #2...

today:
b: skipped
l: skipped
d: 1 cheeseburger and 2 hot dogs - bunless, with two spoons of baked beans
Old 07-11-2012, 02:48 AM   #77
Major LCF Poster!

Well yesterday went quite a bit better at the "wax museum" per Tony. I kept waiting for a phone call on the way home saying that they didn't need me for today but no call. thank goodness.

I did fine keeping with Fast Five. At lunch from 11 to 11:30 I had a cup of coffee with my lunch box sitting in front of me. As I mentioned before, no one is interested in chatting as they all have their noses in their i pods or whatever. I brought a magazine from home and enjoyed my coffee and kind of zoning out. At 2:00 break I had my almond butter bread with butter on it and I was not hungry until dinner. DH had brought home subs so I the innards of half of one and will have the other half tonight. Scale is still inching down few onces at a time. I can be patient.

Marilee, sorry for whatever is going on in your life. Hope things are going better now. ((hugs))

A whole can of progresso minestrone soup has only 200 calories if anyone is interested.

Tony, that darn sodium always gets us. Glad you are taking it in stride!

FF, walking to the park to your cool bench sounds heavenly. Will you do that this weekend or after work during the week?

Well, I better do afew things around the house before I get on the road.

Have a great day all!
Old 07-11-2012, 04:36 AM   #78

ww does not use calories alone for how they calculate points.

they go by how a particular food is digested. for example 200 calories of M & Ms will be digested in a different way than 200 calories of beef. ergo, the point values for those 200 calorie choices will be different. Currently, carby foods have more points than in the past, but they still push low fat this and low fat that. They have much to learn. The soup was not bad, but a little bland. I will add some pepper next time, and a pinch of minced garlic and celery seed. 1 can IS 1 portion for me, regardless of what the label says. Tomorrow is G IVLI CAESARIS DIES NATALIS (Julius Caesar's birthday), so i am getting some very high carby refreshments for the office. i always do this for important Roman events. No danger of my indulging in them myself, as I have had them all already on past occasions. I hope everyone is doing well and feeling fine. I am going to read some posts,now and catch up with what is happening. FF
Old 07-11-2012, 06:08 AM   #79
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey ff, how could a half can of soup be a serving?...it's ridiculous and designed so they can make their numbers look good on the label, and it makes us feel like we are overeating!...i'm with ya, bro...

abi, happy you got another day at the wax museum!...it sucks how folks don't talk to each other anymore...if our grandparents saw what was happening in that break-room, they'd think we've all lost our minds!...lol...congrats on managing your fast five strategy so effectively at work...

nothing new here - haven't eaten yet today and have no idea what's for dinner...leftover burger for lunch, maybe?...

hope everyone has an awesome on-plan day!
Old 07-11-2012, 06:12 AM   #80
Blabbermouth!!!

I don't worry about calories either ff. A calorie isn't a calorie isn't a calorie. Depends on the food it comes from.

Still not on plan. However, I am attending an info session about a plan offered by a local hospital. It is very LC as far as I can tell. After reading posts under the Panakos Weigh Loss Plan found on Facebook, it closely resembles the Dukan Diet. Low fat or no fat foods and very lean meat. I don't totally agree with the no fat mantra, so am not sure about it. I am going to the session though, maybe it will help motivate me.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:31 AM   #81

u never can tell, Vicki.

sometimes, all it takes is a passing comment that rekindles THE SPARK that gets one going again. I am not dogmatic on diets (whether dogs are included or not). I say that the right diet is what works for you. when it stops working, it is time to tweak. I consider myself to be in an interim phase. I am making less than perfect choices because it prevents me from making far worse ones. FF
Old 07-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #82

i cannot believe i forgot all about DREAMFIELDS PASTA

all i have to do is add some protein, and i have a great meal with minimal carbs. i already prefer my pasta 'al dente', so there is no danger of breaking the matrix, and turning it into a normal high carb pasta. I just got back from the podiatrist. He stretched my shoes. So, I will try some real walking this weekend in the park. F-twinkle toes-F
Old 07-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #83
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey guys, hope y'all are having a great day...i'm having an awesome day...spent some time exercising in the pool, lying in the sun and eating well:
b: sauteed veggy leftovers
l: 1/2 cheeseburger
d: ?

all day there have been homemade cookies all over the table and counters in our kitchen...dw made 'em and the boys have been grazing on 'em...and i have not tasted even one chocolate chip - i know you know how motivated you have to be to pass up treats like that!...

i just scheduled a last minute trip to nashville - leaving this sunday night and coming back on thursday night...then we have a wedding in maine on saturday and we will all head to nashville again the following week - dw and three sons will go on that trip i think...

okay, got some work to do...see ya in a bit!
Old 07-12-2012, 01:12 AM   #84
Major LCF Poster!

FF, those were some wise words about rekindling the spark! Thanks! Glad you got your shoes stretched so you can walk comfortably this weekend.

Tony, you are one busy person! You must just thrive jetting around the country! Your day yesterday sounded so relaxing. Good going on resisting the cookies!!

Vicki, tell us all about the session at the hospital. We are always interested on all the varieties of achieving weight loss that are out there.

Marilee, at 113 degrees outside I wouldn't be rushing to buy patio furniture either! How are you doing today?

I am heading to the candle factory today for day 3! Wonder if I will be back for day 4?
I am up today for the first time since I started Fast Five. Who knows? Had my almond butter bread at 2 and for dinner I had ground beef and raw brocolli with dip. Not drinking nearly enough but when you are on a production line for 8 hours you don't have time to drink. I try to make up for some of it at night but don't come close to what I should be drinking.

Wishing you all a great Thursday!
Old 07-12-2012, 05:03 AM   #85

there will be rain and heat this weekend.

ergo, the park is out of the question. However, I will do my darndest to be out of the house both days. i may even wind up at a movie. As i mentioned, today is Julius Caesar's birthday. Please see my thread on that subject in the PLAYGROUND. It is also my sister-in-law's (Brunilda)birthday. I hope the card got there on time. She just had back surgery. So, in all the excitement, i did not get a card out till July 10. I pride myself on never forgetting birthdays. FF
Old 07-12-2012, 05:37 AM   #86
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

morning, guys!...

abi, congrats on day 3 - hope you get a 4th...don't sweat the scale - your menu could not be any better, and that's all you can do...

btw, i really don't like jetting all over, but i have to accept that i live in nh and work in nashville and that's gonna create some difficulty in my commute...lol...

ff, good luck getting out of the house this weekend - i think i will stay close to the pool and try to get some exercise...

hoping for another good day today - no idea what the menu will be...

i'll check in later, kids...let's all have a great, on-plan day!!!
Old 07-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #87

i know what i shall be consuming this evening...

a Caesar salad. Not from mcD. I will get it from a diner. I bit more $, but it is for me a sacrament. I will get some protein to go with it. How far north in Maine are you? i was once in Portland, but that is closer to NH. I like to FANTASIZE about buying or renting a summer cottage for June through Sept, where the temp would NEVER get above 72 degrees F., and the humidity very low like Vegas. Apart from Alaska, I assume I would have to be fairly close to the Arctic Circle in Canada for those 4 months. As the details of the weekend weather get more fine tuned, I will plan my weekend accordingly. Frankly, i do not mind getting caught in a summer rain. However, i prefer not to get caught in a summer lightening. FF
Old 07-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #88
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey ff, our cottage is at pemaquid point, right next to the lighthouse there - its light shines in the window at night...pemaquid point lighthouse is the one they chose to put on the Maine quarter when they were minting those state coins...it is a tiny little place (really tiny!) but it is always pleasant there as it is almost surrounded by water...it is about 90 minutes north of portland...

how's this for an incentive?...when everyone in our little group gets to our goal weight, the reward will be this: i will host a long weekend in maine for all of you and your spouses (if you have one) and your kids too (hear that kbeth?)...there's a nice, turn-of-the-last century hotel a few-hundred feet away from the cottage and i will treat you to rooms there and we will have a huge lobster bake at my place and hang out by the ocean...that's a pretty good carrot, isn't it?...google the location...

skipped breakfast and had a salad for lunch - i'm still full...i'm gonna start chugging water now...maybe steak sandwich innards for dinner???

Last edited by tony8; 07-12-2012 at 01:26 PM..
Old 07-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #89
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

here is a link to the lighthouse...the hotel is the large structure in the top-center of the photo and our place is the little tan-ish cottage second from the upper right - you can see a white picket fence running between it and the parking lot for the restaurant/gift shop which is across the road and right on the ocean...those cliffs look steep but they are not - you can walk down to the water...

http://marinas.com/view/lighthouse/1..._United_States

let's do this kids!

Last edited by tony8; 07-12-2012 at 02:48 PM..
Old 07-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #90
Blabbermouth!!!

Looks awesome Tony.
Closed Thread