Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #571
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
I must be hungry--all your food descriptions are making me drool...

I'm on track on doing well this last week. I made a big pot of veggie soup with grass fed ground beef--my daughter had some for breakfast! I had a stirfry with colored bell peppers, chicken and mint (a thai recipe) for lunch that was delish! I am eating really well and losing weight. Last night my daughter had a soccer match so I didn't eat much for dinner at all (small bowl of soup) but was satisfied. The scale was down today.

Tony, it's really great you are taking such good care of yourself right now--it will really help with you recovery. I'm sorry you have to go through all that, doesn't sound like much fun, arggh...

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #572
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/218.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
thanks, jenny...the problems i'm having were certainly exacerbated by my carrying extra weight for almost 20 years, so i've got nothing to complain about...i'm trying to give myself the best chance for a successful recovery, but i'm also being realistic about the risk associated with this kind of surgery...i will be under anesthesia for about 3 1/2 hours, so........

i'm so happy you are back here and back on track - it is so weird that we always seem to be doing well or struggling at the same time...but it helps me - maybe because when i am trying to help you, i am helping myself ;-)

sorry, marilee - i know that sounded negative, but i'm smiling when i'm saying it...i have a positive attitude, trust me...i wish i was able to sit on your patio tonight...do you have a western view?...can you see the sunset from there?...

okay, if i don't check in again, it means i fell asleep!

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 09-28-2012, 03:04 AM   #573
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
FF, I know Tony has mentioned skirt steak before, and you really like it too. I will have to try to get some and give it a try. Soup and salad are good combinations to have low cal, low carb and satisfying eating experiences. Your and stomach keep up with each other because it takes awhile to eat that combination.

Jenny, beef and veggie soup must be very delicious if your daughter wanted some for breakfast! I remember you are quite the gourmet cook! Glad you are back on track. Now if I can get myself back I will be very happy.

Marilee, what's on the menu for today?

Hope everyone has a great Friday!
Old 09-28-2012, 05:35 AM   #574
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey abs,
the keys to skirt steak is to make sure the butcher skins off the membrane, do not to overcook it (about 4 minutes each side) and then cut it into 1/2-inch slices AGAINST the grain...the goal is to end up with 3 to 4 inch strips about 1/2 inch wide...i use montreal steak seasoning and garlic powder and grill on high heat to sear the outside and seal in the juices...

if you do it this way, you will enjoy the juiciest, most flavorful steak ever...almost no waste at all, but it is rich and will spike your cholesterol!... :-)

feel great this morning...a little muscle pain but it's a good feeling...i'm back in the groove kids!
Old 09-28-2012, 05:35 AM   #575
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
it's muggy here in the big Apple, but it's FRIDAY!!!

I was reading that menu while i was enjoying an iced coconut flavored coffee at Shoprite/Dunkin after work yesterday. It is an amazing piece of literature, up there with Homer, Vergil, & the 289 RULES OF ACQUISITION . but, it is strictly take-out, and I am too far for delivery. but that is okay. I shall make every effort to get there on Sunday. Next weekend, i shall be away from Friday through late Monday. and tomorrow, I hope i will get off my lazy butt, and go somewhere, just to get out of the house. Once Dec comes, i will be home every Sat for the Metopera Radio broadcasts through the beginning of May. Monday, believe it or not, will be the beginning of the next Blitz (#XI). i am all atwitter. I shall, if u all please, begin this next one. so, please, do not post old business on the new thread, or new business on the old one, or I shall be compelled to put a bit if stick about. F-4 months 17 days away-FF
Old 09-28-2012, 06:54 AM   #576
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

yea!!!!...it's about time you start a blitz, bro...one has to have a pretty good memory to harken back to a time when our founder actually found the "start a thread" function here...lol...

btw, have you set a date to re-start on ww, or have you abandoned that idea?...i miss your weigh-ins and all the excitement they generated... ;-)
Old 09-28-2012, 09:00 AM   #577
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/343.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
Good morning! TGIF - Yea!!!!!

Tony, no apologies needed. I know you have a positive attitude. I was just being a big sister and shushing you

My den faces west so when I am on the computer in the evening I can see some gorgeous sunsets. The patio area is very small (I'm in a patio home/condo) and it has a block wall around it that's around 6 feet tall so there isn't much of a view. It faces East.

Gosh, it sure feels good to be on plan. Why do I let my emotions and feelings make me go off and eat something so wrong???? That, my friends, is the question of the century.

I thought we were through with the triple digit heat, but it looks like next week we will be over 100 again. At least the mornings are cool so I can open up the house and breathe - what a concept!

I need to get to work so I'll check back in later.

Marilee
Old 09-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #578
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

i appreciate you, big sister!...thanks for caring about me :-) the big question is: are we all gonna fit on that patio when we have our get together?...i'm planning to climb up on ff's shoulders so i can see over the wall...haha!...i may hang in the den at sunset though...

i know what you mean about being on plan - it feels so much better and i have no idea how we forget that and fall off the wagon...it seems so easy when it's easy, and so hard when it's hard...
Old 09-28-2012, 08:58 PM   #579
Senior LCF Member

I'm so grateful I'm back on plan too--I have more energy and feel so much better. I don't know how many times this has to happen for me to get it but I'm not giving up ...

I've been trying to eat my biggest meal at lunch and then a light supper and this seems to be working for me the last two days. I don't get so famished by dinner and am able to control what I eat better. I am down five pounds since starting back on track just over a week or so...I know some of it is water but I feel really good about it and I've been eating really well and don't feel deprived at all...

For lunch I made a low carb pizza (crust made of shredded cauliflower, egg, cheese and a little coconut flour--doesn't taste like coconut just makes the crust a little stiffer) then put spinach, artichoke, mushrooms, carmelized onion, olives, and sliced meatballs fresh mozzerella on it--quite delish! I ate two pieces and a salad and was very satisfied.

Tonight wasn't that hungry and just had a little roasted pork ( my husband ordered pizza and it didn't tempt me at all--I had my left overs in the fridge if I wanted pizza again) I was going to make a salad but didn't feel like it.

Going to an Italian Festival tomorrow--but I've had my pizza fix so should be a breeze sticking with the salad...

Hope Everyone has a good weekend!
Old 09-29-2012, 03:10 AM   #580
Major LCF Poster!

Jenny, you sound so good and we are very happy with the 5 pound loss. Your pizza recipe made my mouth water.

Marilee, you keep shushing Tony when he gets too negative on the upcoming surgery! I also hope we can all fit on the patio when we get out that way! So sorry you are going to get temps in the 100's again but happy the nights are cooling down some!

FF, thanks for volunteering to start Blitz XI on Monday for us. I will probabaly be the one to post the new business on the old site. lol

Tony, thanks for posting your skirt steak recipe! Need to get some of that montreal steak seasoning to have on hand.

Hope to check back in later to see how everyone is this Saturday!

Have a great day all!
Old 09-29-2012, 05:55 AM   #581
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

well, it's obvious you guys are not gonna let me vent any negativity here, so........lol...

jenny, first a huge CONGRATULATIONS on the 5 lb. drop...that is awesome!...if some of it is fluid, it was fluid you did not need that was placing a strain on your organs, so it is just as important to lose that as well as the fat...i am so happy you are feeling well and on-plan...like marilee said, it is so hard to understand why we ever fall off this wagon of well-being!...let's hope we are learning and evolving and can break that cycle!...again, your menu sounds so yummy...

abs, they make a low-sodium montreal steak - get that one and use it sparingly until you find the amount you like best...i've overdone it a couple of times...

my son and his girlfriend (who studied and works with animals) invited us to go to the circus with them tonight in manchester...so me, dw, younger son and maybe emmy will go with them...emmy surprised us last night by appearing in the living room at about 8:30 ...she drove home from college and spent the night...very cute!...my older boy is in vermont this weekend where he is in a wedding...

hope everyone has a great day and that ff musters the ambition to move outdoors :-)
Old 09-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #582
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi all!

Jenny, good job on the weight loss!

Tony, you can be negative if you want to, honest.....you are free to be yourself on this thread. We just reserve the right to slap your wrist

I know I blew my diet...I had a huge craving for (don't get grossed out) liver and onions so I had it. Yummy! So good. Pretty weird when a "treat" is liver....

I will make us all fit on the patio. Don't worry about that. My great room opens out to the patio with two patio-sized sliding glass doors so there won't be a problem.

Well, it's time to get some work down around the house - bummer! With all of the inventions mankind has come up with, why can we just push a button (or wiggle our noses) and have everything done?

Ciao!
Old 09-29-2012, 09:25 PM   #583
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey marilee, how is liver and onions blowing your diet?...sounds like protein and veggies to me...are you near phoenix or sedona?...for some reason i was thinking one of you arizona girls was near sedona, and you're the sole survivor... :-)

good day...i followed jenny's protocol and ate a larger lunch of salmon salad and roasted veggies and was not hungry at dinner time, so i didn't eat BUT we left for the circus at 5:15 and we were all hungry after it was over at 9:30...had a burger at wendy's...

tomorrow we may go to my sister's house in ri as my niece is leaving for a year in italy...there will be too much food there, but i will have no problem abstaining...i'm pretty motivated right now...i will have to do both exercise regimens before we leave as i took the day off today...

i am supposed to drink a lot tomorrow monday and tuesday as i am donating blood for my surgery mid-day on monday...i have PT in the morning before heading to the red cross...then i have my last office PT on thursday right after my pre-surgery physical at the docs in the morning...this will be my first actual full physical in over 20 years - i am NOT looking forward to that at all...

hope everyone had a great day...see y'all tomorrow!
Old 09-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #584
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just a quick pop in before I head to bed.

Liver is not a choice for my "lean and green" meal on MF and I'm not supposed to eat onions - too high in sugar.

Yes, for all intents and purposes I live in Phoenix. Sun City is a bedroom city next to it. I work in Phoenix.....

Talk more tomorrow. I'm beat.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:07 AM   #585
Major LCF Poster!

Gosh Marilee, you sure stayed up late last night! You must have gotten interested in a late movie. I got a kick out of your craving the liver and onions. Maybe your body was telling you it needed some extra iron! I am not crazy about beef liver but in Alabama, KFC used to have chicken liver Wednesdays. Of course they were breaded and fried and very delicious!

Tony, I bet you felt like a kid again going to the circus! Good luck on getting those fluids built up to donate blood and hope you have a great check up!

FF, did you get out of the apartment this weekend?

Jenny, what delicious meals are you cooking up today?

I'll be having my 3 scrambled eggs this morning or 2 eggs and bacon at the cc. 4 Sundays left before the cc closes for the winter.

Hope you all have a wonderful Sunday!
Old 09-30-2012, 09:56 AM   #586
Senior LCF Member

I went to an italian festival yesterday and ate peppers, mushroom, onion over a sausage (It was supposed to be in a bun but I just saved it for my hubby) Then at night I made myself a cesear salad with some smoked salmon crumbled into it and some olives. I passed up gelato, these giant cinnamon bread cookie things--my friends got and ate and said were amazing and a few other things, but I was fine with it.

I did have some red wine in the wine/beer garden but it didn't cause me a problem later. That is the first wine I've had in over a week...

Not sure what's on the menu today but my mom is coming for dinner so I should fix her something nice...

Gibby, you were probably craving liver for a reason--it has alot of important nutrients in it--now if it were doritos you were eating you might feel worse about it!
Old 09-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #587
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yep, I usually feel better after I've had liver - our bodies sure our wonderful, aren't they? Letting us know what they need. It's good thing I love liver. I don't care for chicken livers - too bitter or something. But I'm wild about gizzards.

Ejoying Sunday...still have a lot to do around the house, but I'm going to do laundry and then enjoy the day. I'll do more housework later.

Not much to report. I'm hoping for a loss when I hit the scale tomorrow morning. Keep your fingers crossed!

Hey ff, we miss you!
Old 09-30-2012, 07:15 PM   #588
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

good to see you guys!...

jenny, sounds like you did GREAT at the festival...is your husband italian?...i thought either your hubby or kbeth's was italian...

abi, so which eggs won out: 3 scrambled or 2 with bacon?...

marilee, good luck on the scale tomorrow...i haven't weighed this week and i'm hoping i haven't gained 10 lbs. when i finally climb on this tuesday!

i just got back from ri...ate small quantities of chicken wings, chili and sausage at my sisters and avoided every other carby dish, and there were plenty!...trying to drink a lot of water tonight before tomorrow's blood donation...i'll be up late for sure :-0

have a good night kids!
Old 10-01-2012, 03:35 AM   #589
Major LCF Poster!

Tony, 2 eggs with bacon won out. lol Glad you got together with some of the family yesterday. We are all going to meet at the Marina tonight before brother flies back to Georgia. Think all 5 of us can make it tonight. Hope the weigh in goes well tomorrow. I am not weighing for awhile. Not until I get my groove back.

Jenny, what did you cook for your Mother. Something very good I'm sure. The Italian Festival sounded fun. Good going on resisting the carby stuff.

Marilee, hope the scale showed a loss today! We are rooting for you!

FF, how was your weekend?

Better finish getting ready for work. Everyone have a great day!
Old 10-01-2012, 08:25 AM   #590
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
BLITZ XI is ready.

Please access Blitz XI. Please excuse the error. The good news is the weekend is over. Time to finish out the year in a better vein. FF
Old 10-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #591
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

here's the link to get there:
BLITZ XI-Oct 11 through Dec 31, 20012
Old 06-27-2013, 08:01 AM   #592
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good