Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012, 09:07 PM   #541
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
I wasn't exactly sick this summer I just had to have a bunch of tests done because they thought I had kidney stones, then thought it was a tumor and it ended up being nothing. At the same time my husband had a similiar situation with something they saw in his lung--we both ended up being fine but it strung out over a period of weeks and was stressful. Uggh, it makes me never want to go to the doctor again!

I also had alot of company and was traveling/camping alot this summer both situations I tend to either eat too much or off plan with...final result, I've gained about 15lbs. Very frustating, but I'm used to it by now. It seems to me like I'm either gaining or losing...and I'm ready for the losing phase right now because I don't like the way I feel at this weight.

I ate pretty well today, but I overate at dinner. This is a bit of a problem for me, I eat well all day but don't eat alot, get hungry while I'm fixing dinner and "pick" at food when I'm preparing it, then eat dinner and I've eaten too much.

I think I need to make a rule, nothing will cross my lips while I'm cooking (adjusting for seasoning might be tricky?) but also make sure I'm not starving when I start cooking dinner.

I made a roasted tomato sauce over spaghetti squash with chicken meatballs for dinner...very delicious which is part of the reason I ate too much. Earlier in the day I had a small bowl of brocolli soup for brunch/lunch (homemade and low carb--I make it with cottage cheese, almond milk and parmesean cheese, plus the broccolli blended up) and then had a small salad for a snack.

Well wishing you all healthy eating for tomorrow--I'm really needing to get back on track-I have 2 days under my belt which feels good.
Jenny

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2012, 03:33 AM   #542
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Marilee, here is another hint. Look under the table in the picture I posted on Sat. That is Bama looking out at you. She is my everyday 2:30am alarm clock and I am willing to lend her to anyone who would like to get an early start on the day. lol

Jenny, I can imagine how stressful your summer has been. So glad you are back with us and working on gettin the eating back under control.

Tony, I am proud that your son made the decision to work on his homework rather than go to the movie. Most kids would say their work was done just to get out of doing it. lol

Hey FF, what did you do this weekend? 5 guys?

My brother from Georgia will be up this week. We may all meet at the Marina restaurant Tues or Wed. Tony, you may remember that is just down the hill from the Top of the Hill Grill. I actually have never been there even though I could have walked there from Mom's house. The rest of the gang meets there alot when my brother is in town. Usually it is past my bedtime. lol

Have a great Monday all!
Old 09-24-2012, 05:44 AM   #543
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
i regret to say that 5 Guys profit margin was less than expected

I was lazy bones again. Not complaining. However, I got a great deal of exercise getting up to turn the fan on and off every 2 minutes. It was either too warm or too cold in my room. Maybe, it's me? In any event, i enjoyed my 2 days off. Tuesday, at sundown begins Yom Kippur. Even I, dyed in the wool heathen, will fast, as always on this most sacred day. I will do it for all those who paid the ultimate price for practicing their faith(whatever their faith was), and to respect the history and culture of the family that took me, an exile, into their house. I will try not to go hogwild, when the fast is over. Great to see you back, JFinchster, and that you and your husband are fine. Let us all give one huge RAZZberry to the medical profession!!! FF
Old 09-24-2012, 06:11 AM   #544
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/218.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
hey sis, your post made me remember two things i had forgotten: 1) what an unbelievably great cook you are - keep those recipes coming!, and 2) how we are always in the same place at the same time - so weird!...i have been struggling with the same thing at the same time of day!...eating too much at dinner and then nighttime grazing on leftovers, etc...

i know how well you can do when you are motivated so i know those 15 lbs. will come off in the next blitz or two...i need to lose a big chunk of weight during the same period so let's try to get on the same losing track together this fall/winter!

btw, i had kidney stones 20 years ago and i'm so happy you didn't have them!...

abs, i'm not sure i remember the marina restaurant - it's not the one near the bridge by the river is it?...

marilee, i think bama's photo was abi's avatar for some time...you won't be winning any trivia contests here today, girl...please share today's mf menu...

ff, you needed a fan this weekend?...you might be going through menopause, my friend...lol...

5 weeks til surgery and i have to get serious...implementing the 9 p.m. curfew again and get back to kbeth's food is fuel, fuel is medicine mantra...

i'm not gonna weigh for a few more days to see if that motivates me to really be a good boy between now and then...thinking turkey chili tonight???

off to my PT appt. soon!

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185

Last edited by tony8; 09-24-2012 at 06:12 AM..
Old 09-24-2012, 08:22 AM   #545
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/343.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
Oh, Bama (not Obama ) All I could think of was my black cat who wakes me up at 4:30 in the morning...

This week is going to be crazy...I have to do my job and someone else's who is off this week. Can't wait for Friday - I know - it's only MOnday!

Today's eats:

B-MF peach oatmeal
S-MF S'more bar
L-MF chicken and wild rice soup
S-MF cinnamon cereal
D-Big salad with lettuce tomatoes, onions and chicken
S-MF chocolate shake

TTYL!
Old 09-24-2012, 08:27 AM   #546

i believe i am too old for menopause.

it is more like senili-pause. FF
Old 09-24-2012, 12:36 PM   #547
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, you're never too old!...haha!

had a leftover chicken leg for breakfast and a thigh for lunch...i've got some landscaping to do at the building so the chili may have to wait til tomorrow...i have no idea what i will make tonight...

hope y'all are having a great day!
Old 09-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #548

well, Tony, u started with the leg, then the thigh...

Logic would demand you try the skirt next (skirt steak that is). FF
Old 09-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #549
Major LCF Poster!

I am in stitches reading all the posts today.

Yes, Bama was my avitar for a long time. We lived in Alabama for many years and are big fans of the University of Alabama football. So Dh said the first dog we get after getting back into a house would be named Bama.

Have a great evening Blitzers!
Old 09-24-2012, 07:10 PM   #550
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

marilee, once again, a very yummy-sounding menu...does the food taste as good as it sounds?...

abi, how old is bama?...i know i should know that, but....

jenny, what did you make for dinner tonight?...

ff, i skipped the skirt and we picked up some buffalo wings and calzones - ate a small amount of filling out of the steak and cheese and had a few wings...

okay, day 1 of my getting serious went well - so far...and only 15 minutes til curfew...my PT went well this morning too...i forget if i told y'all this, but after my two crippled days on friday and saturday, and having to curtail my exercise on those days, i felt really good yesterday and did my pt at home...i also felt good this morning and very strong at pt and my therapist says i have made an amazing amount of progress since i first started...

she said 3 more session in the office and that will be all i need until after surgery...of course, i will continue on my own, i just won't need to go into the office...i do have much better muscle tone in both legs...

i actually felt up to doing some landscaping today - nothing too strenuous but it felt good to feel half-normal for a change...tomorrow morning i will do some more fall decorating at the building - tying some corn stalks to the porch posts, etc...

okay, curfew came and went as i was typing this (and doing some other things), so i'm done eating for the day!...

hope everyone is having a great monday night... ;-)

Last edited by tony8; 09-24-2012 at 07:12 PM..
Old 09-24-2012, 07:25 PM   #551
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The MF food is pretty good. The soups are bland, so I add a little s&p and hot sauce and they are good. Of course, they aren't as good as "real" food, but I'm trying to keep focues on the goal. It's hard sometimes, and I don't always succeed, but I seem to be making more progress.

Tony, I'm glad you are getting stronger.

Have a nice evening everyone!
Old 09-25-2012, 02:31 AM   #552
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, Tony. The Marina is the one by the bridge on the water. I think if you sit out back of Top of the Hill you could probably see its roof down below. Super that your joints got over the bad pain and that your therapist is pleased with your progress. I bet your building will look so festive with the corn husks on the posts outside. Love this time of year!

FF, you are just too funny!

We are most likely going to meet tonight. Still waiting for response from brother who lives in town. He is still coaching cross country and we don't know if he has a meet or not.

Had a big salad last night for a change. It was left over from the dinner Friday and had feta and avocado in it. Well the avocado was still whole but my sister had brought it intending to add it to the salad. Glad she didn't so I got to eat the whole thing!

Marilee, adding some spices etc. to your soup is a great idea. It is amazing what a little salt and hot sauce can do for about any food!

Have a wonderful Tuesday Blitzers!

Last edited by Abigale; 09-25-2012 at 02:35 AM..
Old 09-25-2012, 05:28 AM   #553

i enjoy reading all the posts.

however, i do not always have the time to respond to all of them. Y'all do not go ignored. I have been focusing on Tony, owing to the impending surgery, and because i went through the precise situation, only with the knee. So, do not feel slighted, HEWMONS, please. Now, it is no illusion. The cooler weather IS bringing me back to life, and more lucidity. I DO need more structure in my food plan. The one thing I have noticed, is that i am able to eat less at one sitting, and be full (whether it is a low carb meal or not). thus my food aka my food dollar lasts longer. I want to be noticeably smaller by Feb 15. I said i wanted that goal by Pokonos/Columbus Day weekend. but, that is not gonna happen. I hope the seatbelt in my (earth)brother's car will fit. I still needed a fan on and off in my house last night,though. Eventually, I will be able to put it in the closet for a few months. I am also drinking more plain water. At home, i alternate. 1 water, 1 diet snapple, 1 water, 1 diet soda etc etc. same as at the office. Well, at least I am getting more water in. FF
Old 09-25-2012, 06:27 AM   #554
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

abi, YES, now i remember exactly where the marina is - i think i ate there once several years ago - did it have a different name at one time?...congrats on the salad - i LOVE avocado...

marilee, hot sauce not only tastes good - it revs your metabolism too...i am so proud of you for sticking to that plan - you have carried us this blitz!...

ff, thanks for the attention - it does help to hear from someone who has been through a very similar experience...i am sure i will be asking even more questions AFTER the surgery as i take the road back to health...

i'm trying not to dwell on it, but i am aware that this is the most life threatening thing i've ever faced - there is about a 1 in 50 chance that folks either die or have a stroke during this operation...rather than make me panic, it is making me a bit more quiet and thoughtful about my life...also considering things i have to get done this month, so i will go into this at peace...

i had my best day in awhile yesterday, and i owe it to the curfew more than anything else...it also makes me realize how much better i feel this morning that i did not eat after 9 last night...

but the biggest thing is that it really only takes one good day to turn everything around - in one direction or the other!...so, if you are not on track or where you want to be, just try to stack one good meal and snack on top of another for one whole day and the next day will be soooo much easier...

gotta get some work done - will check back later...have a great day everyone!

Last edited by tony8; 09-25-2012 at 06:28 AM..
Old 09-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #555
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ok, don't laugh at me, but when I thought my knee replacement surgery was imminent, I went and had a Will made. I didn't have one and thought if anything went wrong, I needed to get that done. So, Tony, I completely understand your concern, but I also know that things will probably be just fine and you will be running circles around the rest of us when you are healed.

Things are status quo. The scale is up a pound and my fingers are chubby so I'm holding water - ergo, I must drink more than usual today and flush it out.

Marilee
Old 09-25-2012, 08:32 AM   #556

the 1st time i was put under, i was apprehensiv.

the 2nd time was a piece of (low carb)cake. I did not think I would wake up(the 1st time). Also, i was afraid i would betray my extra-terrestrial status while i WAS under. That would have created a gereat deal of complications. I remember when i came to, the 1st thing i asked was if i had said anything while i was out. After the laughter died down, they assured me I did not. I will also be adding hot sauce to some of my kitchen creations as soon as the weather INSIDE gets cold enough. FF
Old 09-25-2012, 01:53 PM   #557
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

marilee, i know i'm not laughing...i am planning to do the same thing regarding a Will...i also plan to talk to each of my kids and leave a note letting dw know what i want to have happen with some of my personal things...it will give me peace of mind and prepare them for the possibilities...

having a great day...had an hb egg white for breakfast, a salad topped with tuna for lunch and have turkey chili in the crockpot right now for dinner...there really are sooooo many delicious on-plan foods we can eat!

leaving soon with vincent to pick up his car...he is so cute - he hasn't even told his friends yet...he doesn't say too much but i know he is excited... :-)
Old 09-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #558
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tony, you are the best dad! Let us know how the car works out for Vincent.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:41 PM   #559
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
Tony,
I am trying to read back and figure things out--are you having hip or knee surgery coming up soon?

I've been sticking to plan and not over doing it with food the last two days and I feel good. I worked out at the gym with my sister today--lifting weights and the elliptical and plan to hike up my back hill tomorrow with my neighbor. Between these two people I have "scheduled" exercise 4 days a week. Having a partner will keep me to the plan better. Exercising has never really helped me much with weightloss, but it is great for my health and I want to be strong.

Tonight I'm making grilled lamb chop, green beans and a feta greek salad. This type of dinner is calling out for red wine, but I need to skip it as I have a hard time stopping with one glass and then two is too many calories and I just eat more....sigh--It's hard for me to give up drinking but I have to in order to lose weight. I may need to consider giving it up permanently if I want to keep the weight I lose off...I was drinking most days this summer when I gained weight. Just thinking out loud.

Hope everyone is having a good day and on plan--Thanks for the kind words!
Jenny
Old 09-26-2012, 03:28 AM   #560
Major LCF Poster!

Tony, in Mom's younger years she would say "if you worry about something it won't happen" lol She spent alot of time worrying and passed this philosophy on to me unfortunately!! So I won't tell you not to worry about your surgery and getting your affairs in order just about guarantees all will go well.

We had a great time at the Marina last night. I don't recall if it had a different name or not. We are going to meet again next Monday night somewhere and hope older sister and other brother can join us. I had a ceasar salad with w grilled chicken on it. Very good!

Jenny, getting back into the exercise routine is a good start. I am like you with the wine. Can't lose if I am drinking it as it also makes me have more of an appetite. Hope you have a good day today.

Marilee, my fingers are puffing too. Still eating the leftover (salty) ham from friday. Can't drink much at work being on the production line. It may take until this weekend to get some serious water drinking in.

FF, I am thinking they were all laughing because you did divulge your extraterrestrial history while you were under. But I am sure you were one of their favorite patients!

Have a great day Blitzers!

Last edited by Abigale; 09-26-2012 at 03:30 AM..
Old 09-26-2012, 04:50 AM   #561
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

like jenny, i have two great days in a row under my belt and that will make day 3 (today) even more likely...i LOVE getting on a roll!...the curfew is the key - i eat so many useless, unnecessary calories after 9 p.m. without a deadline...

jenny, kudos for the exercise - i know you have always been active, so you may not see the difference, but you burn more calories than sedentary people and therefore will lose when you get in the right calorie intake groove...i also like that even when you are really militant about weight loss, you always eat healthy, well-balanced meals...that has influenced me a lot and has helped me be healthier the past couple of years...thanks!...

yes, i am having right hip replacement surgery on october 30th and have been going for prehab twice a week since the beginning of september...three more sessions to go prior to the knife...my left hip still has cartilage but also has bone spurs and will probably have to be done sometime as well...i have had some pain for almost 9 years and let it go too long, so now it is not gonna be a normal hip replacement but will involve radiation, chiseling, etc....it is what it is and i have no complaints as i have been so healthy for so long...

abs, i'm pretty sure i ate there several years ago, and for some reason i don't think it was called the marina then - but i could be wrong...sounds like a fun night...and i agree with your mom about worrying - for me, thinking about the worst that can happen actually causes me to stress out less about it because it is not looming in the dark waiting to jump out at me :-)

marilee, the car is very nice and he is sooo excited...shortly after we got home, his two brothers came home and the three of them went out to test drive his new ride...very cute and it got a thumbs-up from everyone...it has 144,000 miles and i have 7 days to decide if i want to buy a warranty for it...i may take it to the transmission shop to get checked out today and ask their advice...

okay, gotta get some work done...i'll be back!...eat well kids!!!

Last edited by tony8; 09-26-2012 at 04:57 AM..
Old 09-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #562
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

where is everyone today? ;-)

i am having a great day - a few salad veggies for breakfast, a nice salad topped with tuna, evoo and acv for lunch and right now i am roasting a huge pan of veggies in the oven in evoo, pepper and garlic - veggies include eggplant, zucchini, summer squash, red peppers and onion - smells awesome...if it isn't raining, i plan to throw some salmon on the grill tonight for dinner - i've never cooked it that way and i've heard it's really good...i will let you know how it turns out...

i also did both of my exercise regimens today - home PT and my usual weight and ab training...tomorrow morning i have pt at the pt office - i am still in pain, but am moving around better, and i feel so much stronger...

then i went to do some work at the store and found that my oldest son went there yesterday and had already done it - nice surprise...

hope everyone is doing great today!
Old 09-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #563
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Doing great, just real busy here at work. I actually took a lunch break and ate my soup in the kitchen and read my book. I had to get away from the computer.

The weather is getting nice - 69 this morning so I could open up the house. I need to go to Cracker Barrel and buy one of their rocking chairs for my patio are now that it's getting cool enough to sit out in the morning and have my coffee.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:32 AM   #564
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, Marilee, sitting in your rocker out on your patio with a cup of coffee sounds wonderful! I bet the kitties are enjoying sniffing the fresh air out the open windows. Mine sure do!

Tony, the roasted veggies are making me hungry! Did you grill the salmon?

Writing out some bills this morning so running late on time. Have a wonderful Thursday all!
Old 09-27-2012, 04:53 AM   #565
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

abs, the salmon was soooooo good!...i have a grill pan i use for veggies sometimes (not last night - i used the oven instead) but the woman at the fish counter told me she oils the grill and throws the salmon right on the grate, skin side down, so i tried it that way...it cooked PERFECTLY and the skin did not stick to the grill and the meat came off the crispy skin so easily...our dog loves the skin, by the way...it was so good i will make it that way whenever i can... the roasted veggies were delicious too...

when i was at the store yesterday, i bought a couple of wholesome, healthy carbs - 100% whole grain pumpkin seed crackers and organic, unsweetened, whole grain raisin bran...when i want some, i will eat a small portion of those rather than reaching for one of the few frankenfoods in the house...

feeling great and motivated!...i think i will be okay now through the surgery, and hopefully after that...my goal will be to get to 1derland by the end of the next blitz...of course, that has been my goal for the past several blitzes, but i really think this will be the time i get there...if i can, i will only be 15 lbs. from goal at the first of the year and will try to get to goal in 2013...it is really seeming possible!

hope everyone has a great day...i have PT in their office this morning and then pick vincent up from school as he has early release today...we are gonna get his car checked out at the transmission place and try to find some floor mats and other accessories for it...

see y'all later!
Old 09-27-2012, 05:37 AM   #566

I have not enjoyed grilled salmon for a long time.

as my oven broiler is too difficult to clean, i will use my Ronco, when my apartment cools down to 60 degrees F. hopefully by late December. I had the fan on all night.It was and is quite muggy. I thought it would be difficult to do the Fast this year, but it was not. it was a relief, actually, knowing i can go 25 hours w/o stuffing my snout. I do not know why the extra hour. but rules, are rules. It did make me aware that it WILL be possible to straighten myself out re: following a reasonable food plan. Beginning today, I will focus on a LOWER, but not an INDUCTION level of carbs. I was fortunate that i was able to get my pants on (the ones I took from the cleaners on Tuesday).They are tight. Let us see how loose i can get them by Oct 5. The basic structure will be soups and salads, but the salads will include a reasonable amount of protein, be it fowl, moo, oink, or fish/seafood. And the soups I will make myself, once I get cooking again. Until then, it will be chinese or diner soups. I am getting my flu shot today. It is mandatory for employees.I will ask for the clean needle this time. FF
Old 09-27-2012, 01:28 PM   #567

it was a lovely retirement luncheon (not mine)

mostly carby, but i just took a little bit of this and a little bit of that. i did have 1 big stroke of good luck. The grilled skirt steak came from a catering place in Brooklyn called BASSETTS on Ave X. They do not know it yet,but I will be HOUNDING them for the grilled steak (more modest quantities to be sure), and other lower carb specialties. I will be paying them a visit very soon. I make really good steak, to be sure, but these people have it way over me. Whichever of y'all makes it to Brooklyn, WE will be paying them a visit. FF
Old 09-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #568
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The steak sounds yummy! I have a rib eye in the freezer. I think I'll have it tomorrow for dinner.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:20 PM   #569
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, i LOVE skirt steak, but had never heard of it til about 6 months ago...happy you had a nice lunch...

marilee, you and i are the ribeye kids...lol...

i've had a good day again today:
b: 2 cherry tomatoes
l: 1 wendy's single cheeseburger
d: i made pasta and chicken cutlets for the fam - i haven't eaten yet, but may have leftover salmon and grilled veggies...

i did great at PT today - my best day yet...what was taking me 1:20, only took me 50 minutes and they increased the weight and reps on every exercise...my therapist can't believe how strong i am getting and predicts i will heal well after surgery - yeah, if they don't kill me or give me cancer from the radiation... :-)

hope everyone is having a great day!
Old 09-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #570
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony8 View Post
if they don't kill me or give me cancer from the radiation... :-)

hope everyone is having a great day!

STOP THAT!!!!!
Closed Thread