Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 09:56 AM   #391
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/343.6/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
1789 - Congress created the Treasury Department and Alexander Hamilton was named first Secretary of Treasury

1864 - General Sherman occupied Atlanta after Hood's troups withdrew during the Civil War

1945 - Japan surrendered aboard the USS Missouri to end WW II

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #392
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
not quite far back enough.

on Sept 2, 31 BC, the BATTLE OF ACTIUM was fought(off the coast of western Greece). The opposing parties were Octavian assisted by his friend and future son-in-law Marcus Agrippa vs. Queen Cleopatra and her whipping boy Marcus Antonius. Needless to say that the Gods of Italy were more persuasive than the Gods of Egypt. Is that a good reason to make a pilgrimage to 5 Guys burgers? I have done so for no reason at all. I could not believe the spring in my step on my way to lunch(2 cheeseburgers) and back. I do not know where the energy is coming from, but i will not look a gift horse in the mouth. Later..FF
Old 08-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #393
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/218.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
you guys are a riot!!!...

ff, i'd be hopping around full of energy if i were headed to 5-guys too! :-) hope the a/c is off, bro, ka-ching!...lol...

abi, thanks for sharing the pic - that SUCKS!...good job holding your weight steady - you have been losing so consistently that your body would probably rather gain it back - great effort, girl!...

marilee, you are a hoot - now take your seat at the head of the class...btw, the teacher just stuck me in the corner!...congrats on the loss - you are earning every ounce!...

having a good day...i must have drunk 120 ounces of water so far!...

b: hb egg white
l: 2 cubes cantaloupe
d: ? - maybe the steak i did NOT make last night?

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 08-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #394

120 oz Tony?

no wonder i am running to the john all day!!! today is allegedly thursday, but it does not feel like Thursday. that is odd. Thursday always feels like Thursday. I must be getting old. what is it about writing in cyberspace that makes it look like we are all e.e. cummings? i try to capitalize all those that need upper case, but my fingertips hurt too much to get them all. There is also a lack of quality control in the more scholarly sites I visit. There really is no substitute for sitting down and opening up a book. Remember books? FF
Old 08-30-2012, 01:41 PM   #395
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Tony! My weight loss is even better than I said....I miss wrote it as 1.2 ounces and I meant one pound 2 ounces......

BTW, I love Google - that's how I found out about the historical events no 9/2. I ain't that smart.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #396
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

that's awesome, marilee!!!...you are our team leader right now...thanks for setting such a great example, girl!
Old 08-31-2012, 03:32 AM   #397
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Marilee, I was pretty sure you meant 1pound 2oz. You are such an inspiration to us all!

FF, love the thought that you are having a spring in your step! Having more energy is the best part of low carb eating! I watch what all these young people are eating for breaks and lunch and then hear them complain during the day of how tired they are. If they only knew.

Tony, did you end up cooking the steak for dinner? Speaking of cantelope just saw the most realistic owl with a cantelope head on it. I will post it below.

Down afew oz today -yeah!! Going to Walpole this morning for coffee with my younger sister. Miss seeing her once a week like I used to. Will go to North Bennington on Monday morning.

Hoping to hear from Vicki today. Miss you Vicki!! I really owe you so much!

Have a wonderful Friday Blitzers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg owl made of fruit.jpg (56.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 08-31-2012, 05:35 AM   #398

It's Friday!!!

It is back in the lower 90s today and upper 80s tomorrow. Last night I saw the 2nd 1/2 of Cleopatra featuring Claudette Colbert on the Turner network. Great movie. I will have to order it on dvd eventually. I will make an earnest effort to get out of the house this weekend, hot though it may be. well, we shall see. Sunday, i shall be at B & N, then 5 Guys. Monday, Boreas, the North Wind is putting in an appearance. It is supposed to reach 78 degrees only as the high. I will do my best not to go nuts in the food dept. this weekend. I want my pants fitting very loosely for Pokonos weekend. FF
Old 08-31-2012, 11:29 AM   #399
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Woohoo! It's Friday, it's payday, it's a 3-day weekend and a start for my almost week off.

It's still on the hot side, but it's different - I don't know how to explain it but it feels more comfortable even though it's still over 100. Thank goodness!

Not much to report. Still on plan and hoping I survive the week off - I tend to blow it when I'm bored and don't have structure.

Wishing everyone a great day!
Old 08-31-2012, 07:51 PM   #400
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

congrats, marilee!...just don't let anything you don't want to eat in the house - trust me!...maybe the humidity went down???...i hear folks out there complain if the humidity hits 35% which is "bone dry" out here :-)

abi, i made some steak last night, but not the skirt steak...tonight i made marinated chicken breast and threw the leftover steak on the hot grill just to warm it up, which was fine since i cooked it rare last night...

ff, sounds like you have a lot of fun planned for the holiday weekend - you've got me craving 5 guys now...

i skipped weigh-in this week...i feel bloated and think i've had too much salt and on-plan food, and didn't want to get discouraged tuesday...i already am having a bit more trouble with my appetite since they delayed my surgery - that was a bit discouraging for me - and although i have been staying on plan, i've been grazing at night on leftover on-plan food and i feel like i've gained a couple of lbs...i have been depriving myself the past two days and will face the scale next tuesday...

i think vicki ditched us :-)
Old 09-01-2012, 07:05 AM   #401
Major LCF Poster!

Tony, it has got to be so hard having that surgery postponed. Know you just want to get it behind you and start walking without pain. We are sorry you are having to walk with that hip for a minute longer. Always good to postpone weighing when you feel bloated. You know in your head you haven't gained fat and it's a water thing but psychologically it is damaging to your psyche.

Marilee, I am having the same trouble having these 4 days off in a row. I like stucture too. Having some temptations that I am struggling with. Last night DH came home with a big container of nuts and it was all I could do not to dive in.

I am down 2oz today but I can tell you right now I will be up tomorrow. I was telling a lady at work that I had some cryovaced hamburg patties that my sister gave me. Her dh ordered them and then they didn't like them. Well, I'm like "Mikey" if you remember that old cereal commercial but I didn't like them either. She told me to buy some sazon spice packs from the mexican food aisle. They make everything taste good. Well, I bought two flavors because they were really cheap. they both have garlic in them and one also has cumin and annatto and the other has onion in it. But both have msg as their first ingredient. I tried them both on some fresh ground beef and they are both delicious. I'm sure the msg will really make me retain water but sometimes you just have to treat yourself to some FLAVOR!

FF, can't wait to hear of your weekend adventure out into the wilds of NYC! Love Claudette Colbert and anything she was in. What a great actress.

Hope you all have a great weekend Blitzers! I am going back to washing venetian blinds in my kitchen.

Last edited by Abigale; 09-01-2012 at 07:13 AM..
Old 09-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #402
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey abi, i have some kind of sensitivity to msg - when i eat it, i wake up in the middle of the night and feel like i've been drugged - i have to struggle to open my eyes - weird!...lol...i'm wondering why cryo-vac-ed burgers would taste different from any others - do they add seasonings?...

thanks for the sympathy on my hip...i got discouraged because i had been working so hard to get in shape for the end of september and then bang! - delayed!...i know it's a psychological weakness, but it spurred my self-destructive appetite and i ate more on-plan food than i needed to for about a week...so, i know i've gained some fat as well as fluid...but i'm back on track and in the right frame of mind again, thankfully and now i have 2 months to get in shape...

congrats on the 2 oz. - you don't realize what an accomplishment that is until you compare it to how easy it is to gain a few pounds!

youngest son is climbing a mountain with a friend today...i hired my older boys to re-line the parking lot on my new building tonight - that should be fun!...we have a planet fitness in the bldg and they will do the work after the gym closes at 7...

bought chicken wings and beef for stew and skirt steak, so those are the three meals planned for the weekend...

hope everyone has a great saturday!!!
Old 09-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #403
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

skipped breakfast, had a salad topped with tuna, evoo and acv for lunch and am making baked buffalo chicken wings for dinner...

my second oldest boy is flying to nashville on tuesday and then driving back up with sarah as she is coming home for almost a week and wanted to bring her dog...i guess it is a big production to take her on a plane...can't wait to have my little girl home...

on tuesday, i have to go to mass general hospital for a "joint replacement class" whatever on earth that is???!!!...lol...probably will scare the heck out of me...i did a lot of research and waited 9 years before making the decision to have this operation and choose this doc, but now that i have, i really don't want to know too much until AFTER it is over...don't know if that makes sense to any of you, but i'm gonna do what i can to prepare myself mentally and physically for the surgery, but don't need to know too much about the details on what they are gonna do to me... :-)

today would have been my dad's 76th birthday...i will never be able to picture him as an older man as he died of a heart attack when he was only 44...can't believe it has been almost 32 years since i saw him, as i think about him every day!...wish my kids had met him and vice versa...

stay strong and have a great saturday night kids!
Old 09-01-2012, 07:43 PM   #404
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

the chicken wings were really good!...i know you were all just waiting to hear that! :-)
Old 09-02-2012, 04:58 AM   #405
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

omg!, an opportunity to beat abi to the first morning post!...that comes along as often as friday's blue moon!!!...

now i gotta try to think of something worth saying...then again, that never stopped me from babbling on before?!...lol...

the boys finished the parking lot - stopped by last night and brought them a pizza...it was dark, but looked good...i will head over there this morning to check it out in the light...

may make a beef stew today - we'll see...

i'll check back later - wanna post this as i can imagine lucy typing faster than i am right now and beating me to it :-)
Old 09-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #406
Major LCF Poster!

Tony, I knew you would be clapping your hands that you beat me to it. I slept in after taking the dog out at 2 and then ran out of time before church. Great that the parking lot looks good and hope it still looks as good in the daylight.

We did all go to breakfast this morning and then brother, wife and their daughter and husband drove to Randolph for the music festival. I guess it goes from noon until 10 or 11 tonight. They go every year and love it.

My computer is making strange noises so I am backing everything up right now just in case.

I was down 2oz today so didn't have enough msg to hurt me. I will stay away from it now until i get to goal. Wow, did I say I was going to finally after 4 years I was going to get to goal? I must be feeling much more optimistic about my woe. Well, time will tell. One day at a time, one ounce at a time.

Will check back in later to see how everyone's Sunday is going.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:45 AM   #407
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

okay, so she got so engrossed in her scrambled eggs at the country club that she completely forgot about us this morning - not quite sure why i am saying "us" since everyone else is apparently on vacation...lol...i don't mind talking to myself though...

well, i decided i had to buck-up and face reality on the scale...no more burying my head in the sand...i weighed in at 217.4, which is up 3.6 from last week...nothing to do but lose it as soon as possible...i'm not discouraged at all - i reacted to disappointment by overeating on-plan foods and now i have to face the results of my actions...it could have been worse!...i could have overeaten off-plan foods and gained even more weight...

so, i've pushed 1derland further away and probably can't make it there by surgery, but my head is back on straight and that is what is most important...the other thing is that i have not deviated at all from my every-other-day exercise regimen - did it this morning and i'm gonna give myself credit for that... :-)

have beef stew simmering in the crock pot - it smells so good...i used prime sirloin tips, cut them up and browned them before throwing them in the pot...only threw in a few cut up potatoes and carrots (both partially baked in microwave) and a cut up sweet onion with a few spices...its like eating tender steak in brown gravy...

okay, now i've made myself hungry!...am trying to drink LOTS today to keep my appetite down and flush my system out...

see y'all in a bit!
Old 09-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #408
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

damn, abi!...you snuck in there while i was typing my diatribe!!!
Old 09-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #409
Major LCF Poster!

Ha Ha Tony, and those 3 scrambled eggs were delicious!

The beef stew sounds delicous. How come you didn't pack that crock pot full of potatoes and carrots for the rest of the crew?

Marilee and FF must be taking a short vacation from us. Hope to hear from them tomorrow!

Have had ground beef and eggs today and several cups of coffee with cream. Afew temptations early on but did not give in to them.

Am determined to be the first one here in the morning. Got to stop this sleeping in or I will be in trouble on Tuesday's work day!

Have a good evening all!
Old 09-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #410
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm here....nothing much to report. Abi and Tony - you guys make me smile

Tony, I'm glad you are having a nice visit with your kids. I know how much you miss them.

I seldom have off program food in the house, BUT the grocery store is less than 1/4 of a mile from my house - just down the street AND there are around 10 restaurants of varying types (Italian, Greek, Chinese, Mexican, American, fast food, etc.) that I can drive to before 2 songs have played on the radio. So, temptation is always near at hand.

Spending a quiet day. There isn't much on TV - weekends are bad for that so I'm watching Stephen King's "Silver Bullet" on "On Demand" and will read my book after it's over.

I hope you all are having a restful weekend - we'll check in again tomorrow.

Tony, I know you'll drop that extra weight quickly.....

You guys will always beat me at posting!

Marilee
Old 09-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #411
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL, marilee, you're at a time zone disadvantage!...unless you just stay up late and beat us here every day!...you make us smile too...

abi, dw has been eating LC lately and the kids like the meat the best, so my stew has been evolving - it was soooo good tonight - there were enough veggies, but i'd say the ratio was 3:1, meat to other stuff in a nice brown gravy...

btw, i think you should sleep in tomorrow - i won't beat you here - promise <ahem>... ;-)

wonder if ff is buried under 5 guys?...
Old 09-03-2012, 03:12 AM   #412
Major LCF Poster!

Hope FF is not buried under 5 guys Tony, but do hope he made it made it there. Funny about the stew evolving. DH is eating less meat and more vegetables so I always have to put in alot and always have meat left over.

Marilee, they were just playing Stephen Kings biography on the biography channel. I was listening from the kitchen. Very interesting story. DH was channel surfing so I didn't get to hear the whole thing. Hope you enjoy the book. What's on the menu for today?

I am very happy to say I am at my last year's weight this morning! Now I am embarking on some brand new losses. Hope this woe continues to work for me. I subscribed to
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...l#post15913525

These people are eating similar to me and are also having success. Hope it keeps up!

Off to North Bennington this morning to visit Mrs. Kenyon, my second mom growing up. Can't wait to see her and have some good laughs.

I'll check back later! Have a great day all!

Last edited by Abigale; 09-03-2012 at 03:25 AM..
Old 09-03-2012, 05:58 AM   #413
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

see, abi, i told you that you could sleep in - til 5:00 a.m.!...sheesh... :-) hope you enjoy your visit with mrs. kenyon...how long a drive is it to get over there?...congrats on getting back to last year's weight...i am so proud of you for sticking with this and not giving up...i am a long weigh (haha) from my all-blitz low but am determined to get there...

i gotta get back to a curfew...i remember it some nights and completely forget about it others...grazed til 11 last night - nothing bad (a piece of stew meat), but still it is too late to eat...i am remembering those nights i struggled to stay on the couch when i was hungry after curfew and will employ that will again...first, i have to remember i have a curfew...lol...part of my problem is that i am not eating my first meal til mid-afternoon!

happy labor day to all...ff, hope you got your usual two cheeseburgers and placed them on you lc bread with a thin slice of tomato!...

i'll check in later, kids!

Last edited by tony8; 09-03-2012 at 06:00 AM..
Old 09-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #414
Major LCF Poster!

Back from my coffee klatsch with Mrs. Kenyon. Had a great time as I expected. Two of her sons and one of her daughters showed up to say hi and also a good friend of my older sister who lives in town. Her daughter brought me two jars of relish she had made. They are delicious. I had to try them when I got home. I took a picture from their backyard up to the little cape cod Dad and Grandpa built. I posted that photo before. Back and forth we would trek that field. lol

Tony, I don't know the mileage but it took me 1 1/2 hours from Hinsdale. Beautiful drive over the mountains and saw several trees starting to turn.

One of the sons brought some husk tomatoes to the house. Very unusual. The husk looked like a japanese lantern plant in light tan. Inside, about the size of a large blueberry was the green with a slight tinge of orange tomato. It tasted like a grape! Sweet and a little tart at the same time. What a neat experience!

pictures are Mrs. K and one of her sons, view of our house up the field, and sister's friend, Mrs. K's daughter and Mrs. K

Tony, good luck on the curfew. If you went to bed at 6 or 7 like me you wouldn't have to worry about late night eating. lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (83.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (66.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (72.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 09-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #415
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

abi, it's so pretty over there - i love that house and your friends look like really nice folks...thanks for sharing the photos...

had a good day today...skipped breakfast and made the skirt steak on the grill and then covered it on a platter with sauteed onions and red peppers...had 2 ears of corn for dinner and some tuna...

hope everyone had a relaxing labor day holiday...i have that joint replacement class in the morning in boston, so i probably won't be able to check in until later in the day...have a great one, kids!
Old 09-04-2012, 03:03 AM   #416
Major LCF Poster!

Mrs. K turned 90 in August. She is still so sharp. My sister says they have some of those husk tomatoes in their garden. She says they are called "cape cherries" and that they spread like crazy. She says she puts them in salads and the chip munks are loving them!

Tony, hope the class goes well and they don't give you too much icky information. I'm like you, just get it over with and don't tell me what you are going to do.

We should hear from FF today. Hope he and Marilee had a great weekend. Vicki, we are really missing you!!!

I am up 2oz but still in the same poundage so feeling ready to start to get into some new territory!

We may get an inch of rain today from Isaac.

Have a great tuesday all!
Old 09-04-2012, 05:37 AM   #417

i feel like i have been away for years.

i did not go to 5 guys or anywhere else this weekend. i spent the 3 day weekend at home, AC on, catching up on dvds that were still in the shrink wrap. i was looking for one thing, and found another: It was the Cleopatra featuring Claudette Colbert. I had forgotten i had it. Needless to say it was one of my "meatloaf and mash potatoes" experiences (especially the scene with King Herod). Although not an historical episode, it does give you an ideal of all the double dealing and political manipulation that goes on all the time, more so these days even than in the past. Great flick. I hope everyone enjoyed their weekends, and stayed at least reasonably close to plan. FF
Old 09-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #418
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey ff, hope you enjoyed the movie...if you stayed home, what did you eat?...did you cook?...hope you didn't starve yourself!

abi, the class wasn't bad at all...lasted about an hour and just told us what to expect...not too many surprises as i have done a lot of research, but they WILL catheterize us (drats!) and we will have to give ourselves injections of a blood thinning medication in our stomach fat (lucky for me i have plenty!)...that is something i will hate - but probably not as much as i would hate a blood clot, so.......

it will be a metal ball and a plastic-lined metal socket - we got to play with it...lol...

skipped breakfast and just had a nice salad topped with tuna for lunch...ribs tonight - will start slow-cooking them in about an hour...

abi, good job staying in the same 1 lb. range!...that is awesome!...those husk tomatoes sound cool - can't figure out how they taste like grapes though...lol...

okay, i have some work to do - i will check back later...

marilee?...everything okay out west?...miss ya, girl...

Last edited by tony8; 09-04-2012 at 10:57 AM..
Old 09-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #419

no, i did not starve this weekend. I am not capable. Tony

combo of eating in-house and supplementing by ordering out-house (ha ha ha)food. i was given koumadin as a blood thinner, which i took orally. I have no idea or memory of getting blood thinner while i was under. Just be very careful when u are shaving, as shaving nicks will be a problem. I also did not have a "movement" until about 5 or 6 days after surgery. So, do not freak out if u experience the same. Surgery is a major shock to the body, and for a short while, you will experience odd things. My blood sugar was up and down all by itself (and i was not diabetic then). also, my temp went up (but not too high). They will monitor everything. I learned to enjoy the ride. FF
Old 09-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #420
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm here.....I totally vegged out this weekend so today I need to kick myself in the rear end and get some things done that I had scheduled this week off.

Just finished polishing the sideboard - it's an antique circa 1865 - dark mahagony and cherry. Taking a break because just that little bit of work makes my back hurt. So, it's time to go again.....

I'll touch base later.

Tony, I'm glad the meeting went ok...catheter - ouch. But, won't it be great when it's all done?

Great pictures, Abi. Everyone looks so nice!

TTYL
Closed Thread