Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 09:32 AM   #751
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lynne2u
Stats: 245/173/120
WOE: JUDDD
Anna, I guess I'm with the "claim it"s. You did good. Why not bask in your success and maintain until the next challenge, let yourself rest?

Brew, I'm so glad you discovered JUDDD. It is SO working for you, and you are SO working it. to you, too.

Boop, are you with us in a winter challenge?

Zipp, I have a tiny suggestion on the JUDDD, though you didn't ask, lol. I wonder if you're being a little too strict with yourself. Maybe you are one of those people who will do better on a little higher calories/lower carbs, like me? It seems like your body is fighting you a bit.

I was basically stalled on JUDDD for two months, doing my rotations perfectly. Then Elise suggested doing something different, maybe raising calories or raising carbs or something.

I had already tried raising carbs, and making the calorie spread bigger, less calories, exercise, cutting out artificial sweeteners, eliminating grains, adding back in grains, and I can't remember what else. I really tried everything else I could during those two months, I think, trying to find my sweet spot. No luck.

So on Brew's suggestion, I tried the last thing I hadn't tweaked yet: raising my calories and lowering my carbs, both UDs and DDs. I traded my fat free half and half for regular half and half again. And lost 6 pounds in two weeks. Coincidence? Maybe, but maybe not.

Now I'm at about 700/2400, and I've eaten my weight in cocoa roasted almonds a few times during that 6 pound loss period, but it didn't affect my losses.

The last two UDs, though, I've gone out to eat with friends, and there might have been some...non-lc treats involved, shall we say? I'm not telling. But anyway, no permanent damage, thank you JUDDD.

I'll be curious to see if the losses still continue through the next challenge.

I had a weird thing happen, it's happened twice now (in 3 months): I was ravenously hungry for DD (it's usually easy) and then NOT hungry at all on UD - basically flipped. I "flexed" and ate a little more on DD (more like MD) and then made myself eat more calories on UD so I could go into the next DD back on track. It worked, and no harm done on the scale. But how weird.

I may need a support group to break my addiction to cocoa roasted almonds, though. They are so good. I do wish they'd quit putting them on sale.

"End of the world as we know it challenge" it is! It sure has been the end of the old and the beginning of the new for me, this year.

Thank you for walking along that path with me, my friends!!

Lynne

P.S. Scale said 169 this morning. I've been a little bit bad, so that's good.

500/2000 until the end of the challenge with NO TWEAKS.

Reality is still the boss, after all these years.

Last edited by lynne2u; 09-11-2012 at 09:36 AM.. Reason: clarity.
lynne2u is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #752
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
Quote:
Zipp, I have a tiny suggestion on the JUDDD, though you didn't ask, lol. I wonder if you're being a little too strict with yourself. Maybe you are one of those people who will do better on a little higher calories/lower carbs, like me? It seems like your body is fighting you a bit.
Lynne, that is very kind of you. Honestly, my body isn't fighting it, my MOUTH is! I have been sloppy AT BEST on counting my calories and have struggled to keep DD's at a nice low level! LAZY and HUNGRY is what I have allowed. It's my fault, plain and simple! Starting Monday, I told myself I was counting everything. So far, I have done just that and yesterday's UD ended up more on the lower side!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #753
Big Yapper!!!!

As I stated, yesterday was a good Up Day and today's DD, should be under 700c!
Old 09-12-2012, 05:53 AM   #754
Big Yapper!!!!

I kept my DD yesterday under 700c. I was starving last night. Tummy noises and everything. Went to bed hungry, that doesn't happen often. Darn it!

I owned up to the scale this a.m. 173.4, so 3.2 over signature weight.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:57 AM   #755
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: misscobi
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 3/03 originally
Lynne, I love reading about your trials with JUDD and I'm so happy that the scale has started moving in a major way! I, too, am looking forward to seeing if it continues. Sure hope so!

I was a pound over siggy this morning, which I don't mind too much. I bounced around in the upper 220's for so long that I guess it's time to bounce around in the bottom half a bit? Who knows. Tom still here, so awaiting his departure!
misscobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #756
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: anna_banana
Stats: 170/140.9/120 (5'4")
WOE: Doing my own LC (currently less than 20/day)...
Start Date: July 2012
Monica - you'll get down to your soggy weight soon! Hugs on dealing with DD!

Lynne - So glad your scale's moving down steadily! Excellent thing, isn't it?

Tami - one pound is a part of normal bounce, isn't it? I know that when I maintain I bounce around at least 2-4 pounds at any given time…

I'm up to 147. Boo… But I'm hoping that this gain might be the sign for the near-approaching TOM - it's already about 10 days past its usual date (and no, I'm not in a relationship so not pregnant or anything) and I suspect I won't lose more until TOM comes and goes. Sigh. I know I gain before TOM but still don't like to see the number go up.

Hope your week's going well so far!

Anna
Goal 3: 155 lbs - July 31 2012!!
Goal 4: 150 lbs - August 28 2012!!
Goal 5: 145 lbs - September 18 2012!!
Goal 6: 140 lbs by October 18 2012
Goal 7: 135 lbs by November 18 2012

anna_banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #757
Major LCF Poster!

Zipp, back on track, then! We know ourselves best, I firmly believe that.

Misscobi, I can't believe it, but I'm gonna mess with it again. Why? Because this morning I discovered protein powder.

I know, I'm the very last person in the LC community to have noticed the virtues of protein powder, but what can I say? I've been missing out. It's really good. And chocolatey.

Hopefully it doesn't stall me to change things up a bit, but I'm going to adjust my DD routine to 3 protein powder shakes a day, at whatever time I want them.

(Up until now I've been fasting all day - except for the coffee with half/half - and eating one light meal in the evening.)

Anna, boo exactly. But of course it's just TOM. He'll be gone soon enough, and he'll take the two pounds with him and good riddance!

Me... My mom is going into an assisted living facility next month. She's the toxic family member I was talking about before if you'll recall, and there are still a lot of unresolved issues here to say the least.

It's been so good for me to put some boundaries and some distance between us - I'm 80 pounds lighter than last time I saw her! But it's really hard knowing that she might not have a lot of time left, and she's no closer to getting a clue about her behavior than ever. Maybe she'll never get a clue.

I am praying for the wisdom and courage to do the right thing, no matter what it is.

Wish me luck!

Lynne
Old 09-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #758
Big Yapper!!!!

Tami - way to look at it girl!

Anna - TOM issues can be annoying . Believe me, I know!

Lynne - you know, sometimes adults (especially ADULTS) never get a clue. You are a different person and you are doing so well! KNow in your heart that you have done what you can in regards to your MOM!

Thanks for the kind words all.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:54 AM   #759
Big Yapper!!!!

Good morning all! My up day yesterday went well. I actually came in just under calorie level! WOOHOO for me!
Old 09-13-2012, 06:54 AM   #760
Big Yapper!!!!

Happy Friday-EVE!
Old 09-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #761
Major LCF Poster!

Lynne, sorry to hear about the unresolved issues with your mom. My dad passed away before any issues were resolves with him... I didn't really have any sort of attachment to him, so it wasn't a bad thing... just is what it is. My mom on the other hand still doesn't get it at all. Just last night we were talking about this time that I hit a loose horse in my car as a teenager. I was driving around small country roads aimlessly trying to settle my nerves before going to a friend's house. My dad had called me every name in the book on the way out and tried disabling my car as I left. Last night my mom said she was so scared because she had called my friend's house and I wasn't there... flat out told her that if her husband hadn't have been calling me vile names I wouldn't have had to drive around to calm down first and would have been there when she called. She still doesn't get it.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #762
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: boop13
Stats: 246/179.4/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: restarted Feb 23/12
Hi all, I have not had much time to post this week... Been dealing with a teething son and multiple visits from bell to fix my Internet ( been down since last wed) I just haven't had much time for me! I'm still sitting at 192 and change. But I realized TOM is due this weekend so I don't think i will see too much of a drop over the weekend, plus I have a wedding to attend. So I am sure I will have a few drinks. Hoping to stick to red wine which doesn't usually do as much damage for me as the rest of the drinks out there! Hope everyone has an awesome weekend!!

End of the World challenge 191.8/179.4/174

Getting Angry for Autumn Challenge 211.4/192.4/191.8
boop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:25 AM   #763
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brewstate
Stats: 238/152/129
WOE: LC JUDDD (started at 190)
Start Date: April 15, 2009
Anna, it will go back down, just be patient and you will get there.

Zipp it looks like much of your resolve is returning lately! WTG

Boop sorry about the teething baby. That's rough. Mine is getting her last 2 canines in and she is MEAN!!

How are you doing this morning, misscobi?

Family finally gone WHEW! and Lynne since you mention toxic, just remember you can't change other people's behavior only your own as as sad as that might be you are not responsible for them. All you can do is do what is best for YOU and let everything else fall where it may.

In many ways my MIL is toxic too. She didn't take good care of my DH and was sometimes on drugs when he was growing up. She comes to visit with FIL from Arizona (completely paid for by us, of course because she is terrible with money) and basically tells me that my DH is her retirement plan and she won't have enough money to live on and is going to expect us to let her live with us which means supporting her chain smoking and 3 2 litter a day Dr Pepper habit (she's a diabetic). I still don't know how to answer that one. Sorry, long vent.

I'm just glad everyone is gone and things are getting back to normal now. TOM is due today which isn't making it better but I'm sitting at 166 so that's not too bad.

Last edited by brewstate; 09-14-2012 at 05:31 AM..
brewstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:19 AM   #764
Big Yapper!!!!

Tami - that stinks girl! I am not sure why your Mom doesn't see it now!

Boop enjoy the wedding and the WINE! YUM

Elise - what does your DH say about that??? I am not sure what I would do/think if I were in your shoes! DARN!?!?!?

It's Friday girls! WOOHOO!!! I am so happy! In a great mood. Having Pizza and wine tonight, now if we could just get to tonight, I would be SET!
Old 09-14-2012, 06:55 AM   #765
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misscobi View Post
She still doesn't get it.
I suppose because she'd have to take responsibility for her own part in things. That's what my mother is resisting, at least. She clings hard to her alternative version of reality so that she doesn't have to face it.

Brew, that sounds like your MIL as well. Eesh.

Thank you everyone.

Teething: fun for the whole family. I think we used some homeopathic stuff I found at the health food store for Gavin. Can't remember what it was called, but it was little pills.

Zipp, you're doing so well! Keep up the good work!! (Enjoy that wine!)

Last week of the challenge!! Let's knock it out of the park!!

Lynne
Old 09-14-2012, 07:35 AM   #766
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: boop13
Stats: 246/179.4/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: restarted Feb 23/12
Morning. Just popping in quick from work... Scale read 192.2 today. A small drop before TOM shows up with some extra weight lol. But I will take it!!! (and hope he takes a little extra when he goes) lol
Lynne I forgot about those I have some called hylands teething tablets I think. They seem to be hit and miss for my son... But I am going to try them again! Thanks for the reminder!!
boop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:12 PM   #767
Big Yapper!!!!

BOOP - take it girl. Own it, it is your number!!!!!!

Lynne- have a great weekend girl!!!!!
Old 09-17-2012, 05:40 AM   #768
Big Yapper!!!!

Very quiet in here. How is everyone on this fine Monday?
Old 09-17-2012, 06:27 AM   #769
Senior LCF Member

Zippp my DH is not extremely fond of his mother but does tolerate her for the kids etc so we're just playing it by ear for now and I'll let him deal with it when the time comes

Sick, sick, sick here this morning so not in a great mood. I think its going to be a broth/couch kinda day. TOM here too (does the fun ever end ) and sitting squarely at 164 lbs. I'm hoping to at least glimpse the 150's this month but I don't know if I'll get there.

Hope everyone else is doing great.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:00 AM   #770
Major LCF Poster!

Hope you all had a great weekend!!!

Sorry I went MIA for a few days! The kids had a water polo tournament Fri/Sat - won all of their games by blowouts! Kind of exciting to see just how good this team has the potential of being this year. There were definitely still some learning opportunities, though! Then Sunday I headed to a dog show and visited with a very good friend and her new puppy. Fun stuff

I'm down 1 to 221. I had briefly seen 220 over the weekend and was desperately hoping I'd be leaving this decade behind this morning, but I guess it wasn't meant to be. Hopefully in the next couple of days.

Toxic family issues... ugh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewstate View Post
In many ways my MIL is toxic too. She didn't take good care of my DH and was sometimes on drugs when he was growing up. She comes to visit with FIL from Arizona (completely paid for by us, of course because she is terrible with money) and basically tells me that my DH is her retirement plan and she won't have enough money to live on and is going to expect us to let her live with us which means supporting her chain smoking and 3 2 litter a day Dr Pepper habit (she's a diabetic). I still don't know how to answer that one. Sorry, long vent.
Yikes! Every time I vent about my mom my husband asks when she's moving in... it's not like I'd leave her on the streets, but I'm thinking it about my sister's turn... only problem is my sister is starting over with a new baby in addition to her 18 & 20 year olds... yeah, I can see how this will go... sigh. We'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynne2u View Post
I suppose because she'd have to take responsibility for her own part in things. That's what my mother is resisting, at least. She clings hard to her alternative version of reality so that she doesn't have to face it.
Sounds about right... probably how she managed to overlook my dad molesting me, too. Why deal with it when you can bury your head in the sand? Ok, maybe I'm still a little bitter? haha Honestly for the most part, though, it just is what it is and it's not a big deal anymore, but I do still hold some resentment toward my mom for just not getting it.

She has been and continues to be an awesome grandma, though, so I guess there's that. lol
Old 09-17-2012, 08:03 AM   #771
Major LCF Poster!

p.s. just a warning that I may be hit and miss over the next few days as I'm helping a friend whelp a litter of Great Dane puppies this week. I'm way excited, but it's usually an overnight ordeal, so I'm dreading the lack of sleep and the drop in immune system that usually accompanies that. Healthy puppies make it all worth it, though! We're thinking it'll be Wednesday, but ya' never know
Old 09-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #772
Big Yapper!!!!

Elise - sorry you are sick! Darn change in the seasons. My crew all started back on their allergy meds this weekend.

Tami - that new decade will be coming soon, I just know it!
Old 09-17-2012, 02:19 PM   #773
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Monika... at least the scale is moving a bit. Even if it's slow it's better than a standstill or worse!
Old 09-18-2012, 05:16 AM   #774
Senior LCF Member

Busy busy days here. Yesterday I was SICK SICK but am doing ok today. Besides that we also closed on our home refinance and got the amazing rate of 2.875% so this week is looking up.

Scale was also firmly at 162.0 and almost went to 161. I know this is sickness weight so I'm sure it will come back but its nice to think I only have a few more pounds to go to get into the 150's, a weight which I was probably 14 when I weighed last.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:46 AM   #775
Big Yapper!!!!

Glad you are feeling better Elise. That is an amazing rate girl. I thought our rate of 3% was good! YOU rocked that, didn't you? You will see those 150's soon. You are doing so well!

Tami - how are you today?

Yesterday was not a good DD for me. It was probably right at 1000c. Today I will keep the numbers better. I think PMS was bothering me yesterday!
Old 09-18-2012, 07:18 AM   #776
Major LCF Poster!

Elise that is an amazing rate! Hope you're continuing to feel better!

Monica, doing well here. Thanks for asking. Scale bounced up a couple this morning, but seems par for the course.

Sounds like a rough DD
Old 09-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #777
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewstate View Post
Besides that we also closed on our home refinance and got the amazing rate of 2.875% so this week is looking up.
OMG Elise that is so great. I am so so happy for you!!

Not to mention the 150's coming up soon. It is a wonderful thing to be thinner than you have been since you were 14. To me it's almost like BEING that young again in some ways. I feel like I'm getting my young life back that I spent imprisoned in a fat suit.

I went to the Oregon zoo yesterday with my son in Portland. It was a 4 hour hike, up hill, down hill, punctuated by standing around looking at attractions. The last time I did it, I weighed 50 pounds more. Needless to say, it really makes a lot of difference! At the end of the day I was still moving briskly and pain-free!

Misscobi, I am outraged that your mom looked the other way while your Dad abused you. What a betrayal of trust. That happened to my best friend when I was growing up, too. I did everything I could think of to help her (I was two years younger than she), but everyone was so dead-set on blaming HER and protecting HIM that it was no use. And the church I'm sorry to say was part of the problem rather than part of the solution! Happy that's changing over time.

I'm determined to be the grown-up that a vulnerable young person can turn to when they're being used and abused by somebody. I don't care whose apple-cart I have to upset or whose head has to roll, I will never look the other way.

Anyway. Happy birthday to the little Great Danes, and lucky you getting to be the midwife. Good health and joy to mama and babies!!

Zipp, it's the change of seasons, isn't it? I think we're all struggling with the transition. All I want to do is SLEEP today.

Happy Tuesday, all!! DD for me, with protein shakes and concentrated food vitamins to build me back up after yesterday's marathon.

Lynne

P.S. I think I'm going through menopause! I'm young, but not so young that it's out of the question - I've just been in denial. Also asymptomatic, so that helps with the denial.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #778
Major LCF Poster!

Lynne, It really is like being that young again in many ways! That's a great way to describe it. It's certainly a bit of a high! I can't wait to get back there! Big kudos on hiking all day enjoying the zoo! That's awesome!

As for my mom, I didn't tell her until I was an adult (but she continued to live with my dad until the day he died a couple of years later - I would be repulsed and would KILL my husband if he did that to one of my kids! I don't care when I found out. He knows this, too.) From my view, I can't see how she missed it all those years, but I do give her the benefit of doubt there. I really don't think she knew. She HAD to have suspicions... but there's that head in the sand thing again. The child mind is so naive and I continued to take it thinking I was saving my little sister... after talking about it as adults it seems I got the brunt of it, but I really didn't save her by any means I honestly have come to peace with it all, but it is a part of who I am and part of what made me the way I am. I'm obviously not a very trusting person, but for the most part it doesn't even cross my mind on a regular basis. It does help that my dad is dead, though.

I'm so happy that you're passionate about the subject and willing to help a young person who may be struggling. I know it will mean the world to them should you find yourself in that situation. How awful for your friend. I told very very few people about it while it was happening and they were undoubtedly too immature to know how to handle it. I don't blame them at all, it never even occurred to me, and I know your friend feels the same about you.

Ok... enough icky stuff unless someone else really needs to talk about it

Lynne, I've been contemplating whether menopause could be playing a role with my slow slow slow weight loss, but until I get the perk of no more TOM I'm not admitting I'm that old. lol
Old 09-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #779
Big Yapper!!!!

Lynne - what a wonderful day at the zoo, the new and improved/smaller YOU!

Tami - I am like you. If anyone ever touched my children in a wrong way, I would lose it. Leave, you name it! NO Excuse for not standing up for your child and protecting them, even if they were an adult when you found out! Simply put, the punishment that the men and Penn state university recieved was SIMPLY not enough. If one child was harmed because they chose to keep it quiet, that is one child too many! Each one of those men that knew are as much to blame as Sandusky! FACT! I am so sorry for what you went through!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ourney-69.html
Old 09-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #780
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Monica. I agree completely with the Sandusky thing as well as all of the other monsters who are protected, be it by the church, school districts, whatever. It's ridiculous and I can't understand how one person could look the other way, let alone many