Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #511
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: boop13
Stats: 246/179.4/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: restarted Feb 23/12
Melanie!!! Wow! So awesome to see the progress! I kind of wish I had have taken some more before pics... But I didn't like having my pic taken because I hated the way I looked. But way to go girl! You are looking fantastic!
boop13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #512
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lynne2u
Stats: 245/173/120
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by boop13 View Post
ONEDERLAND!!! I am there!!! Just slid under...199.8 but I'll take it!!!
Yay!!!!!

That is such a milestone! I'm so happy we could all share it with you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy2be View Post
Yesterday I had training and a prepared lunch. They had pasta and meatballs, I skipped the pasta but did have meatballs, figured the breadcrumbs wouldn't kill me, a piece of chicken, and a salad. Not too bad.... Felt good about my choices. Then last night we went to a picnic at our neighbors house and they had nothing we could eat. Thank goodness we had taken a cheesy chicken dip. So I had that with maybe 3 tortilla chips, a few strawberries. Then later on a girl was walking around with jello shots, she came to me and I declined but asked if they were sugar free, she said I think the strawberry ones are. I said no I will pass, she insisted that they she was sure the strawberry ones were, finally I just took one.... It was very small but I was sure it would affect me, it didn't thank goodness.
So many wins!! It's amazing how a winning day is an accumulation of good little choices, isn't it? I don't know about you, but for me it feels like for the first time in my life, I have a normal relationship with food. It means so much to be able to just go enjoy myself, make the best choices I can, and feel good about it.

I went to a picnic this weekend with a bunch of friends. It was so great, and so needed - as I've said, I've been feeling isolated, and this weekend picnic was just what the doctor ordered.

I just made the best choices I could, and when I went home, it was with warm happy feelings about the friends, the food, the music, the poetry, the beautiful big oak trees...

...but not "omg, I've blown my diet. I hate myself now, think I'll go get a gallon of ice cream and dive in head first on the way home." Yes, there was a few bites of dessert at the picnic. But there was no out of control, self-hating binge. Something in my life has radically changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna_banana View Post
Lynne - about being isolated... I'm younger than most people on this thread so I'm not sure how helpful my comments might be, but I'll share my story. I was born in Asia (a little bit of anonymity on the web ), then when I was in Grade 3 I moved to another country. Then when I was in Grade 11 I moved to another country (different continent!) again. For my graduate school (7 years ago) I moved to yet another country (yet another continent), then now I'm back in Canada. At the end of the day, I don't have many friends at home. My friends (and my best friends) are scattered around the world, because I've moved at critical transition points (before puberty, after puberty, after university undergrad, etc.). For me, internet is a great way to keep in touch with all these people that I can't physically be with, but at the end of the day, I crave the people-to-people connection.

I've got about three really close friends here in my home town, but I'm always trying my best to meet new people - I've joined meetup groups, I volunteer at a local ESL school and food bank, etc. As I'm still unemployed my (work) social network is quite small. But I've got the luxury (?) of being single - you've got your child to look after and that's probably a lot of work (and a full-time job!).

So I guess after all my rambling, I just wanted to say I feel you, even if I'm not at the same life-stage as you, I know how you feel in terms of social isolation.
Anna, you are very wise, and I must say I very much appreciate your contributions - which must be very brave since (as you say) you are somewhat younger than many of the rest of us! Thank you very, very much.

We are in much the same situation, despite our differences; and like you've done with your various relocations, I've got to adapt, too. It's a skill you've learned, reaching out to new people, and I can learn it, too. You've inspired me to try a little harder to connect locally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post
People need people, physical interaction is very necessary for quality life. I struggle with my 13 year old son with this. He would be just as happy living life in our basement, playing XBox and chatting with people there and calling it a good time. You need time for you. Just don't forget that!
I know this is right. People need to be in physical proximity with people. We're social animals! I've made up my mind to remember this and make more of an effort to get out among people.

Quote:
And I am super stressed this week as my son starts yet another daycare tomorrow... I know they adapt better than we do, but I hate to do this to him again. But I think this place will be a keeper... Fingers crossed!
Well...I wonder if you could "repurpose" that anxiety as excitement? It's the same physical emotion with a different interpretation. (I can't take credit for this - it was Arianna Huffington's mother's idea in Arianna's book about fearlessness.)

It's an exciting, fun new opportunity for him to meet some great new people and make good friends. And since change is an inevitable part of life, it's also a great opportunity for his mama to teach him how to meet change with joy and celebrate it, expecting a good outcome.

I know, easier said than done. We'll wish you luck.

My little boy has been sick, and his daddy's out of town, so I haven't had much time to visit here lately.

Have a great day everyone!! Hope I didn't miss anyone!!

Lynne

P.S. I forgot to say wow!! Melanie, those pictures are amazing. What great progress!!!

500/2000 until the end of the challenge with NO TWEAKS.

Reality is still the boss, after all these years.

Last edited by lynne2u; 08-07-2012 at 10:51 AM..
lynne2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:21 AM   #513
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
Mel - your pics are amazing. Look at how far you have come already! WAY TO GO!!!!!

Boop that is tough! I only had to change daycares once and it was when my son was 14 months old, then he stayed at that new one till he started school. I can't imagine 4 in 3 months!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #514
Big Yapper!!!!

Lynne - your picnic sounds awesome! Sorry to hear your little guy hasn't been feeling well! DARN IT!!!!!!!

Well I had a horrible blood sugar crash just before lunch, after my walk. I think it was the heat. That messes with my blood sugar sometimes. So this DD will include a 190c protein granola bar. I NEVER eat those on DD's, but something had to give. I had the shakes and was well on my way to full blown sweats too. I feel much better now. I ate the granola bar while my DH got our lunch ready and I have eaten that too now. I feel much better. Hoping that was the end of it for today! I haven't had an episode like this in forever!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ourney-69.html
Old 08-07-2012, 09:48 PM   #515
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Happy2be
Stats: 237/223.2/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2, 2009
Quote:
Melanie!!! Wow! So awesome to see the progress! I kind of wish I had have taken some more before pics... But I didn't like having my pic taken because I hated the way I looked. But way to go girl! You are looking fantastic!
I'm glad I took them on the way. If I hadn't been losing and doing it for a specific reason I wouldn't have had them either. As for the bathing suit pics before the only reason I have those is because of a vacation we took and my aunt was taking pics like crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynne2u View Post
So many wins!! It's amazing how a winning day is an accumulation of good little choices, isn't it? I don't know about you, but for me it feels like for the first time in my life, I have a normal relationship with food. It means so much to be able to just go enjoy myself, make the best choices I can, and feel good about it.

I went to a picnic this weekend with a bunch of friends. It was so great, and so needed - as I've said, I've been feeling isolated, and this weekend picnic was just what the doctor ordered.

I just made the best choices I could, and when I went home, it was with warm happy feelings about the friends, the food, the music, the poetry, the beautiful big oak trees...

...but not "omg, I've blown my diet. I hate myself now, think I'll go get a gallon of ice cream and dive in head first on the way home." Yes, there was a few bites of dessert at the picnic. But there was no out of control, self-hating binge. Something in my life has radically changed.

P.S. I forgot to say wow!! Melanie, those pictures are amazing. What great progress!!!
I agree with everything you said. I am convinced that its all a mindset and if you say you have failed and perceive a "cheat" as a cheat where you have failed you will fail, but if you see it as a choice and then back to it then you will succeed. This time around my mind is definitely there!!!

So glad to hear that you are working on your socialness. I agree we all need human interaction to feel good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post
Mel - your pics are amazing. Look at how far you have come already! WAY TO GO!!!!!
Thanks. Its crazy isn't it. I am very proud of where I have come so far, and I would love to help inspire others by this as well.

Happy2be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:41 AM   #516
Big Yapper!!!!

Good morning all! Well the 160's were NOT meant to be for me this week. I was down from last week, .6 but am still up .6 from my signature weight! GRRRRRR I may weigh on Friday to see if there is a change.

It's Wednesday girls, what is going on in your world???
Old 08-08-2012, 07:05 AM   #517
Senior LCF Member

Wednesday has been good to me so far! Weighed in at 198.2 and my son had a great first day at daycare!!! So this week is turning into a good one so far!
Old 08-08-2012, 08:20 AM   #518
Big Yapper!!!!

Boop so glad to hear your son is adjusting well!!!!!!!
Old 08-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #519
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: misscobi
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 3/03 originally
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynne2u View Post
Love Love Love this!!! I feel like I'm finally at this point, too and it's amazing! We're going to rock at maintaining! Can't wait til we both get there!
misscobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #520
Major LCF Poster!

Melanie! Wow! Such inspirational progress pics! Amazing!

Boop, so glad things are going well at the new daycare! Congrats on the new low, too!

Monica, you're still soooo close! I'd be hopping on the scale all day <gg>

I'm still up several from last weekend's shenanigans... was drinking & passing lots of fluid yesterday and noticed the tell tale puffiness was gone from my face so was expecting a loss this am. Now I'm thinking it's a true weight gain and not 'just' water. Hmph. Just another few pounds to lose... not changing my signature, tho I only do that when I quit and I'm not quitting!
Old 08-09-2012, 03:26 AM   #521
Senior LCF Member

Good Morning! I can't believe its thursday already, I love these short weeks! So I weighed in at 197.6 this morning... 1.6 to go for my Birthday goal!!! I can do this!
Old 08-09-2012, 07:06 AM   #522
Major LCF Poster!

You got this Boop

Good morning everyone!
Old 08-09-2012, 07:36 AM   #523
Big Yapper!!!!

boop - you are going to make it, I JUST KNOW IT!

Tami, you are right. You are not quitting, leave it where it's at girl, you will be right back there soon. **I haven't changed my avi stats either. I am .6 above that!**
Old 08-09-2012, 07:36 AM   #524
Big Yapper!!!!

Bring on the weekend is what I say girls! Saturday is going to be my tough day. Since it's a Down Day, we won't head to my parents house till mid-morning! Hoping to survive on just Dinner!
Old 08-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #525
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brewstate
Stats: 238/152/129
WOE: LC JUDDD (started at 190)
Start Date: April 15, 2009
I'm still here just frustrated as all get out My weight has crept back up to 173 and for the life of me I can't get it to go down any further. Its been 9 days since it has moved outside a few pound range. I guess I'm going to go back to really strict LC for a bit and see if that helps but I don't really want to. I like fruit, I like carrots

WOW! Boop! You will definitely make it by your birthday but even if you don't you should be so proud of yourself for some phenomenal weight loss!

Don't sweat it tami, just a few more days and that pesky weight should be gone.

Last edited by brewstate; 08-09-2012 at 11:20 AM..
brewstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #526
Big Yapper!!!!

Elise, are you switching from JUDDD?
Old 08-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #527
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lynne2u
Stats: 245/173/120
Boop, you're rockin' it!! Something tells me this is going to be a very happy birthday for you.

Glad your lil' fella had a good first day at day care, that's the hard part right? The first day? It's all good from here.

BTW, your avatar's a very cute kitty! I just want to kiss his nose.

Zipp, that's a very good idea, I'm going to remember that. Even if you weigh infrequently...you can weigh again if the scale insists on telling abominable lies the first time. Awesome.

Tami, I just LOVE weekend shenanigans.

Elise...sigh. I'm sorry the scale is being such a brat, it's not fair.

My thought is, maybe the wine isn't treating you well?

I only mention this because for me it is an absolute no question weight loss killer. (I tried everything I could think of to get around this, believe me!) I can low-carb perfectly, I can watch my calories, but alcohol stalls me no matter what I do. Darn it.

Me...

...my little boy has been really sick.

He's had a heart defect surgically repaired (he was little - 4 months), and I was afraid that his summer cold had settled into his heart and had made him so exhausted. His doctors said, no, they didn't think it was his heart, though we were all at a loss to explain why he wasn't shaking off the bad cold. He gradually stopped eating, drinking, peeing...and moving. All he wanted to do was sit and stare into space like a zombie. I even took him to the ER Sunday night, but there wasn't much wrong with him that they could see. His temp was up a little, but not that much. His O2 sat was down a little, but nothing to worry about.

Monday went by. Tuesday. He just kept getting worse. To make matters worse, his dad was in California for the week, so nobody around to help or bounce things off of or help me make decisions; it's all on me.

On Wednesday the pediatrician ordered a set of labs, and when they came back, it turned out that despite the lowish temp, he was fighting an infection all right. With all the snot involved - sorry - she concluded that it was probably a simple sinus infection! So she called in a prescription for us, and an hour and a half after he got his first dose of Zithromax, he was a changed kid. Eating, drinking, dancing to his music...I couldn't believe the difference. I hadn't realized how worried I'd been until I wasn't anymore, until after I exhaled.

Obviously, I needed some low carb ice cream after all we'd been through this week. So that's what I did! I brought some home with me when I picked up his prescription. It was either that or Guinness.

I didn't mean to get long-winded here, but...it amazed me that I was able to get lc ice cream as a comfort and a celebration of life - a treat - but not a crutch or a failure. And today, DD, the lc ice cream still in my freezer doesn't even exist! It will wait for tomorrow. And I don't even care if it stalls me, it was worth it.

Loving my skinny jeans.

Lynne

P.S. 174 yesterday.

Last edited by lynne2u; 08-09-2012 at 01:18 PM..
lynne2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #528
Senior LCF Member

No definitely not quitting JUDDD, I love it too much, I think truthfully I've been eating too much *junk* and I need to get back to the basics. I never do well when I have too much leniency on treats and obviously that is showing right now, or it could just be a natural lull. Reguardless, I have for the time being, stopped drinking for a bit as well as trying to go back to the basics of meat, eggs, fruit, and dairy.... Not exactly what I want, but I'm tired of playing around.

Lynn, so glad your little one is doing better. Its amazing how a sinus infection can appear to be just about any other sickness under the sun. Hopefully he'll soon be back to normal and you can put away your "worry" hat at least for a little while
Old 08-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #529
Big Yapper!!!!

Lynne so sorry to hear your little one was so sick. Glad he has such a great persistent Mom!!! You rock and even stayed on plan . Way to go!!!

Elise - I see!

Today was my 2nd ever botched DD. Not UUAD, but not on plan either. Tomorrow will be a lower Up day and Saturday a perfect DD. I was simply Hungry! Plain and simple.

Last edited by zipp2play; 08-09-2012 at 05:55 PM..
Old 08-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #530
Senior LCF Member

Lynne - so glad your little guy is on the mend!
Old 08-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #531
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: anna_banana
Stats: 170/140.9/120 (5'4")
WOE: Doing my own LC (currently less than 20/day)...
Start Date: July 2012
Melanie - those pics are AMAZING!! You look great!!

Monica - ahh, you see, it's the naughty scale, not you! That dang scale is messing with our heads…

boop - you're such a great loser! Totally awesome that you're going to make for birthday goal. And good to hear that your son's doing well too.

Tami - I'm sure those few pounds will be gone too. The most important thing is that you're still on the plan and not quitting!

Elise - I think your scale, mine and Monica's are in a stubborn club together… I tend to threaten mine with some harsh words when it gets stuck like that. I feel you, though - just had one week stall myself.

Lynne - oh gosh… I'm glad to hear that your son's better, but it must have been so hard! You're such a strong mother, you totally deserve your LC treat! And you totally kept up with your WOE during all this - I think you're amazing.

As for me… I was down to 154.7 yesterday morning. But I went on a little overnight trip to Letchworth State Park (in northern NY) so didn't weigh myself this morning. Eating on the road and not drinking quite enough water might mean that I might have ballooned, but we'll see tomorrow morning...

Hope you have a good night!

Anna
anna_banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:41 AM   #532
Senior LCF Member

Morning! Happy Friday!
Today i am sitting at 197.4... So close... I was hoping to reach 196 by tomorrow as we are going out with friends for a bday dinner tomorrow nite and I know there will be a few drinks involved! But it is what it is... I am happy that I have come this far! And who knows! I still could make my bday goal!
Old 08-10-2012, 05:22 AM   #533
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Monica - ahh, you see, it's the naughty scale, not you! That dang scale is messing with our heads…
let's say you are right! We will call it a mind game slip due to the crappy scale!!!!!!!! Look at you go girl! You are just moving down down down.

Boop 197.4 is awesome! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, is today the day or is it tomorrow??? Enjoy your night out tomorrow, if you are like me, they don't happen often!

Today I am eating dinner with a friend. I used to do business with her in addition to our friendship, but she changed jobs. I am anxious to see how things are going!
Old 08-10-2012, 05:53 AM   #534
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Zipp. It is actually Monday, but was hoping to celebrate all weekend
Old 08-10-2012, 06:43 AM   #535
Big Yapper!!!!

AS YOU SHOULD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-10-2012, 06:58 AM   #536
Senior LCF Member

So excited for your birthday boop Even if you don't hit your exact number on the nose, you've definately met your goal, especially being under the big 2 number !!!

Thanks for the encouragement, Anna, I would be more upset if my pants size didn't keep going down but obviously something is working. WTG on being under 155, that's an awesome drop!

I had a really clean Up Day yesterday and did really well. I know I promised no more alcohol but I did slip up with a wine spritzer and 2 beers (that's a pretty big slip up ) but regardless I was back down to 171 this morning. I think I may have issues with grains and have been playing with them more liberally lately. Time will tell.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:44 PM   #537
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PeacefulGuide
Stats: waist in 41/34.5/29
WOE: LC with no flax/nuts/beef
Start Date: 9/2010 restart 5/2012
Boop- congrats and have and wonderful b-day!

Melanie- wowza! Keep up the good work. You def are doing it right

Monica-scales are evil. Have a great dinner out!

Lynne- oh I feel for you. So glad your little guy is on the mend though. There is nothing worse than "knowing" your kiddo is sick and having care providers dismiss it You are quite a trooper to actually pick up lc ice cream and not baskin robbins!!

Yesterday was a complete off day-crying sad children-no sleep because every1 was up at 4am to say goodbye to their daddy. I told Jillian Michaels to bite me and laid on the couch and ate honest to goddess million carb raisin toast with the kiddos. Today I am back to the shred and eating my very disgusting miracle noodles. I swear they are worms disguised as pasta!
PeacefulGuide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #538
Big Yapper!!!!

Peace - where did your hubby go?
Old 08-11-2012, 06:09 AM   #539
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PeacefulGuide
Stats: waist in 41/34.5/29
WOE: LC with no flax/nuts/beef
Start Date: 9/2010 restart 5/2012
My hubby went to the Philippines. His father is very ill
PeacefulGuide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:39 AM   #540
Senior LCF Member

Morning ladies!
Peaceful-good luck while your hubby is away! Ps. Do u boil the noodles
More than once? I think I read somewhere on the forum that boiling them twice helps the taste a little, and this week I read about rinsing them with a tsp or so of vinegar takes the fishy smell out. Worth a shot, I'm going to try it next time I buy them!
I weighed in@196.8 this morning! And tonite is going to be the nite we celebrate with our friends... For dinner I chose a Brazilian Steakhouse that I have always wanted to try... Can't think of a better low carb dinner! I can't wait! So will try to stay on plan... Other than the beverages. Lol. But I have avoided alcohol for a couple weeks now, and I know it def stalls me a little. But, one night isn't going to wreck all my work, will be back on plan tomorrow! And tomorrow I plan on trying to make that LC red velvet cake to take to work monday... Our office has a tradition that the bday person brings in some kind of treats... And I want to be able to indulge a little too! Hope you all have a great weekend!

End of the World challenge 191.8/179.4/174

Getting Angry for Autumn Challenge 211.4/192.4/191.8