Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Challenges! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-challenges/)
-   -   Boot Camp Charlie May '12 (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-challenges/770071-boot-camp-charlie-may-12-a.html)

Doug K 05-01-2012 03:54 PM

Boot Camp Charlie May '12

Recycling last month's intro (thanks, Shiner):

Welcome to Camp Charlie all new recruits. Here's the Rules and Regulations of camp. Enjoy your stay.

Camp Charlie is a group originally started by Sarge. It is a group for men to come and battle this enemy we call body fat. Camp Charlie is by men, for men. You need to report for duty at every possibility. If you go AWOL, get back here on the double. If the MPs get to you first, you’d better consider your butt kicked.

All men are encouraged to join and be an active participant
We weigh-in every Monday.
On the first of every month we report our Current weight, Totals for the month, VFZ if you wish, and Totals from our highest weight.
No Emoticons
A variety of eating plans can be followed. Exercise is Non-negotiable. Ask for suggestions if you need help, but you need to get up and start moving.
You screw up don’t expect sympathy

Doug K 05-01-2012 04:04 PM

Current weight - 151
April 1 - 155 (down 4)
Jan 1 - 173 (down 22)
April 2011 (highest weight) - 229 (down 78)
My size 34 waist pants are starting to get a little loose.

Walked 3 miles yesterday and today.

Yesterday's chow:

10 am 3 eggs fried in 1 tbsp butter
2:30 pm 1 c almond milk
5:30 pm salmon burger, 1.25 c broccoli slaw w/ 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp cider vinegar
8:30 pm 1/2 c cottage cheese w/ 1/4 c chopped walnuts, 1/4 c frozen blueberries, 1/4 c frozen raspberries, 1 c almond milk

per *********: 1190 calories, 17 g net carbs, 82 g protein, 65% calories from fat

shiNer45 05-01-2012 04:37 PM

Jan - 174.2
Feb - 165
Mar - 164.5
April - 168
mAY 164.2

Back down to where I should be. Feeling good. Eating pretty decent. These last 3 weeks I have slowed the exercise down to about 3 days a week, still keeping active. And maintaining weight.

No exercise today, was real tired from work today and one of the kids was kind enough to plug the toilet so bad - 20 mins of plunging did nothing, I had to get the snake out!!!!

Lincoln Hawk 05-01-2012 05:53 PM

Thanks for the May thread Doug. You're knocking on the door of the 140's. Crazy stuff. Your journey has definitely been motivating.

Eats are still on plan for me. I did a little work outside this afternoon and feel beat. Hopefully it's from being sick last week because I didn't work that hard.

Ken- LOL. Your hands in a toilet is no way to relax after a long day at work.

Colo Alex 05-02-2012 07:25 AM

Hey Guys,

Really tough few weeks for me. Anyway, I’m shocked that I’m down for the month but I am.

My First of the month figures:

9/1 - 290
10/1 - 273
11/1 - 263
12/1 - 253
1/1/12 - 248
2/1/12 – 237.8
3/1/12 – 230.6
4/1/12 – 226.0
5/1/12 220.8

Life is being difficult and I am struggling. I just need to hang in there.

Doug K 05-02-2012 11:00 AM

All you guys are doing great. Alex, you're still losing at a pretty good clip.

Oob - it's been over 20 years since I was at this weight. The real challenge will be defending it. Yesterday, I threw out the bottle of nitroglycerin tablets the doctor prescribed for me last March, when I was having pains in my chest and left arm. I've never had to use them. That's the kind of thing that keeps me going.

yesterday's chow:

9:30 am 3 eggs fried in 1 tbsp butter, 1 c almond milk
4:30 pm 1 oz cheddar cheese, 3 oz cooked hamburger in 1 tbsp olive oil w/ 1/2 c chopped onions, 5 slices pepperoni, 1/2 sliced green pepper, 6 oz zucchini, and 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
8:30 1/2 c cottage cheese w/ 1/4 c chopped walnuts, 1/4 c frozen blueberries, 1/4 c frozen raspberries, 1 c almond milk

per *********: 1379 calories, 28 g net carbs, 79 g protein, 68% calories from fat

Lincoln Hawk 05-02-2012 11:58 AM

Alex - Solid loss for the month. Hang in there, it's definitely hard to eat healthy when life hits a tough patch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug K (Post 15626730)
The real challenge will be defending it.

Yeah, no doubt about that. After losing so much weight I had a real struggle for a long time with the mentality of not always being at my lowest weight. I had gotten down to 225, but a few months later was walking around feeling like a piece of doody because I was around 235-240. In actuality I should have been on cloud 9 for what I accomplished, but because I wasn't at my lowest I felt like crap. You definitely want to give yourself a healthy weight range where you have some wiggle room. It's still a struggle though as I found myself giving into temptations because I wasn't at the top end of my range. That turned into a lot of crappy eating in spurts where I would eat poorly for a few weeks, then eat healthy to drop that added weight. I still do it. I think we all have the dream of getting to an ideal weight and then just eat appropriately from then on. It's definitely a battle that never really ends, but everyone here at BCC is in a better place physically than when we arrived, so that's a success.

shiNer45 05-02-2012 02:40 PM

Totally agree with Oobas whole post. I am in maintenance now and I struggle all the time. But like he said I have set some upper limits of my weight where I kick things into high gear.

I have one limit where I start lowering all meals carbwise, and then another limit when I go into carb lockdown mode and hit the induction again.

I sometimes find maintaining a lot harder than low carbing. With low carbing there are definite choices that need to be made, in maintenance there are a lot more grey areas that can get you into trouble really quick!

Still havent heard anything about the job yet, my boss however was called and said he gave me a great reference. I just think they are not in a rush, so I have to wait it out.

Not quite so Big D 05-02-2012 03:20 PM

I went to the doctor for my physical follow-up. One recurring theme in my extensive blood-work was that I had a lot of markers that indicated I was carbohydrate intolerant.
A little scientific backing for my WOE!

Hang in there, Alex. Don't let a rough patch wipe out the good work you've done in the past 9 months. I've been there and done it.

Thanks for the thread, Doug! And once again, congrats on kicking fat's ass!

17 days on plan!

shiNer45 05-03-2012 01:55 PM

Good day today,

Found out another of my references was called today, it was my Co-op student who I mentored last year, he said he gave a great reference. I do hope I hear something soon.

No exercise today, the last 3 weeks I have been doing 3 day a week cardio routines, some days I just dont feel like I have the energy, and want a break. Other times it is a time issue with driving the kids to dance/karate, making dinner etc. Especially when my wife works late, I dont have enough time to do it.

Lincoln Hawk 05-03-2012 04:29 PM

Doing well here. Going to try and do a little cardio before dark, but not sure what. I'm thinking of getting a heavy bag for the garage. I see them on craigslist all the time. Thinking I can put together a kick, punch, and knee routine. Maybe break it up with some jumping jacks and squats/lunges. Trying to come up with something different than always walking and cycling.

Ken - Waiting on big news sucks. It sounds promising though.

Lincoln Hawk 05-07-2012 08:37 AM

Had a good weekend here. Not much new to report though. Hopefully Cinco De Mayo or the supermoon didn't derail anyone's diet.

Doug K 05-07-2012 11:50 PM

A little more chaos than usual, but I've been keeping it clean.

shiNer45 05-08-2012 03:02 AM

Week started good, but last nite during cardio routine, the side of my foot started killing me, finished the routine babying that part of my foot. Just came out of nowhere!

Still no word from the job, I think they just have a really slow process. I am hoping I hear something this week.

This place is getting queit again!!

Not quite so Big D 05-08-2012 11:32 AM

Wow, it is quiet around here. I'm still on plan on and have even gotten a little more consistent with my jogging.

My younger son (5 y.o) is going through a tough stretch. He broke his arm three weeks ago and now he has pneumonia. Hopefully he's getting all this out of the way before summer!

shiNer45 05-08-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Not quite so Big D (Post 15640730)
My younger son (5 y.o) is going through a tough stretch. He broke his arm three weeks ago and now he has pneumonia. Hopefully he's getting all this out of the way before summer!

Big D - I may have missed it, but how did he break his arm? My son is about the same age, and I am sure he is going to crack something up soon. Mostly he just breaks things around the house so far. Good for you with the jogging.

Foot was ok this morning until I got to work, then it went in and out of pain all day. took my shoes off when I got home and it feels better now, no exercise tonite for me, I am going to rest it up, which is good for me cause I was hoping for a good excuse to not do it tonite!!!

Lincoln Hawk 05-08-2012 03:46 PM

Doing pretty good here. I need to get a little more exercise in, but still eating on plan.

BigD - Hope your son gets well soon. How many weeks till the cast comes off?

Not quite so Big D 05-09-2012 10:20 AM

How he broke his arm is a little unclear. From what we can gather, he was horsing around at recess and tried to jump over some people and fell awkwardly on it. He had a hairline fracture just above the elbow. We hope he'll get it off next Friday. His t-ball season starts this weekend and he is hating missing his games, along with swimming, golf, etc.!

Ken, sorry to hear about your feet. I have been cursed with recurring foot problems. Whenever I get into a good groove jogging, it never fails that I end up some kind of injury, usually heel spurs. I'm careful to always do the stretches I'm supposed to and to ice my feet after a jog. Hope you get over this quick!

Colo Alex 05-09-2012 01:40 PM

Hey Guys,
I am still struggling. Bouncing around the same 2 stupid pounds. Can't seem to get it together right now. Lots of stress and now some health issues.

Ken - Hope you land that job dude.

D - Sorry about your little guy. I always hated it when my kids were sick or injured. Still do and they are 19 and almost 21!

shiNer45 05-09-2012 04:31 PM

Alex - You have done really well so far the past year, I hope things work themselves out!!! I hope I get that job too, I will be wrecked if I dont!! I am counting on it at this point.

BigD - being injured does suck, it takes all my steam outta me. I used to get sore feet jogging, so I went to this high end running shoe store and the woman there watched me walk run, and jog and suggested a few pairs of shoes for me. I didnt buy them there, but bought the same model somewhere else cheaper - they are amazing, I found out I need a neutral shoe, I was wearing arch ones which made me run and walk on the sides of my feet.

I am a mess this week, today I knocked my elbow on something at work. It flipping kills, I tried to do my cardio and couldnt get through the jumping jacks it hurt so much. Instead I lifted a bunch of rocks to the front of the house for a co-worker to pick up. Also did some drywall mud at a friends house tonite.

Not quite so Big D 05-10-2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiNer45 (Post 15643981)
BigD - being injured does suck, it takes all my steam outta me. I used to get sore feet jogging, so I went to this high end running shoe store and the woman there watched me walk run, and jog and suggested a few pairs of shoes for me. I didnt buy them there, but bought the same model somewhere else cheaper - they are amazing, I found out I need a neutral shoe, I was wearing arch ones which made me run and walk on the sides of my feet.

I've thought about going to specialized store, but am inherently a cheap-o. I also have overly active guilty conscience and would feel bad if a sales person helped me and I didn't buy from them. I guess I'm probably going to have to break down and spend the coin at least once.

Alex, hang in there!

Lincoln Hawk 05-10-2012 07:34 PM

Had a pretty good day here. Mowed the grass right before dark. It takes about an hour. I'll consider that my exercise for the day since I've been slacking a bit with the exercise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colo Alex (Post 15643633)
Hey Guys,
I am still struggling. Bouncing around the same 2 stupid pounds. Can't seem to get it together right now. Lots of stress and now some health issues.

Hang in there Alex. Definitely nothing wrong with bouncing around the same weight for awhile, especially when life is laying it on extra heavy.

Lincoln Hawk 05-14-2012 10:00 AM

Had a good weekend here. Started doing some interval training at home for a change up in the cardio dept. Diet has been pretty clean. I'm trying to stay off the scale, but I'm definitely seeing some results with my clothes fitting better.

Not quite so Big D 05-14-2012 10:06 AM

Not a good weekend for the waistline (but a good weekend otherwise). My days on plan counter got reset this weekend in a big way.

shiNer45 05-14-2012 02:19 PM

Nice weather around these parts. Got some outside work done on the weekend.

So the foot still hurts when I jump around. Ive attempted the same exercise 4 times now and havent got through 1/2 of it. So today I decided to do a chest and back routine from P90X. Usually I would get frustrated and just quit.

I do feel it though, muscles are killing. Tomorrow I may do a cardio recovery routine and then do weights every second day until my foot gets better. I do miss the cardio and know in a week or so I will be starting at zero again.

At least I feel god I am doing some kind of exercise, I feel terrible when I dont.

shiNer45 05-14-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiNer45 (Post 15654322)
At least I feel god I am doing some kind of exercise, I feel terrible when I dont.

Meant I feel good. Too late to edit,.

Lincoln Hawk 05-14-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiNer45 (Post 15654849)
Meant I feel good. Too late to edit,.

At least the mind and the body are breaking down at the same rate. Kidding of course. I'm often in the same boat. Just when one body part feels better, I aggravate something else. A few weeks ago I hurt my back getting up from laying on the couch. Not sure if that is normal for 35 years old.

Not quite so Big D 05-15-2012 11:43 AM

2 days on plan and I jogged for 8th time in the last 10 days. So as to prevent foot problems, I'm slowly increasing my distances each day. I'm now up to 2.25 miles jogging and 1 walking (warm up and cool down) with a goal of 3 miles jogging and 1 walking by the end of May. I doubt I'll go any further than that. I still haven't gotten the energy/time to get back into P90x. I enjoyed doing it and saw results, but it's hard to find the hour plus to do it, not to mention it's really hard work to get psyched up for at the end of a long day.

Stackdiesel 05-15-2012 03:00 PM

Fourth of July Sub-Challenge

Hey Guys,

I've been MIA for a while, but check the posts every now and then. Some of you whom I communicate with outside the forum know that I left the big law firm I worked for a few months ago and started my own firm. Things are going great, but shedding the chains of my oppressors and having more free time are starting to take their toll. Lunch becomes an event when you're in an office by yourself, and today's 3500+ calorie hedonistic episode has forced me to face the music. I'm back up to 213 and need to drop some flab or buy bigger clothes.

On a positive note, I haven't let the weight gain go to waste. I've been lifting heavy again, and last Sunday (not this past Sunday, but the week before) I squatted 405 for 2 sets of 5 reps, deep and strong. Fun as that may be, I don't want to get caught up in the big guy/fat boy game again.

I'm not a low-carb lifer or a "WOE'r", but I have yet to find a better diet. I can maintain well on moderation-based diets, but can't seem to jumpstart and maintain consistent weight loss on anything but a keto diet.

So, Memorial Day is a wash as a summer holiday goal date, but 4th of July is seven weeks away. A decent chunk of time to focus and make something happen.

The longest I've gone a strict 20-30g total carb SKD was 5 weeks when Matt and i did it in Spring 2010. I'm curious to see what I can do in 7 weeks.

Let me know if any of you guys want to join in.

Regards,
Stack

yorick 05-16-2012 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stackdiesel (Post 15656807)

So, Memorial Day is a wash as a summer holiday goal date, but 4th of July is seven weeks away. A decent chunk of time to focus and make something happen.

The longest I've gone a strict 20-30g total carb SKD was 5 weeks when Matt and i did it in Spring 2010. I'm curious to see what I can do in 7 weeks.

Let me know if any of you guys want to join in.

Regards,
Stack

I haven't checked in for awhile. Decided to take a gander at BCC today and lo and behold Stack checks in - squatting a lot more than me.

Good to see you, buddy.

The big question, how are you going to program your lifting while you are having some low carb fun?

I'm going to join you in the 4th of July challenge.

I actually made up my mind a couple days ago that I was going to cut carbs again, but I blew it today because after working on a big landscaping project at my house, I didn't have time to prepare anything but junk for my work food.

I'm in, official day 1 starting tomorrow.

________

I hope everybody else is doing well here. I haven't had time to read all the posts I missed.

Like Stack, I'm pretty much not going to be a low carb lifer, but it is about the only way I can kick the fat loss into high gear.

I'm going to try to autoregulate my lifting and not force myself into higher weights or reps if my body feels like crap.