Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 06:30 AM   #91
Major LCF Poster!

Stats: 265/215.8/190 (6'2")
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Original 2/9/04 restart too many times
Welcome, Dano. I tried p90x and had great results while doing it, but unfortunately, my lack of dedication and time ended it about halfway through. The only equipment I bought were a few dumbbells, some resistance bands, a yoga mat and a chin up bar. I think I got it all at Dick's or Academy. To start all you need is a chin up bar and either resistance bands or a few dumbbells. Several other of the guys have done it, too, so hopefully they can give more info. Ken (Shiner45) has knocked it out a few times, IIRC. Depending on what shape you are in, you might want to start with p90 as it is supposed to be easier. I'm in pretty good shape and p90x damn near killed me the first two weeks. I hurt in places I didn't know you could hurt. Keep us posted on your progress. I just might give it another shot, too.
Not quite so Big D is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2012, 01:37 PM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shiNer45
Stats: 208 / 179 / 170
WOE: Lower Carb, Exercise
Start Date: August 10, 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by dano View Post
Hi guys,I'm ready to start losing again. Did the LC thing in 09 and did pretty well.I screwed up last couple years doing it again and things are going slow.

I just got p90x to speed things up. If any of you guys on this? Just wondering how it worked for you and where would you get your p90x equipment at?
Welcome Dano, I got my chinup bar at walmart, but use bands now instead for pull downs, I put some money into the dumb bells and bought the Bowflex selecttech 5-52.5 set. They are amazing for P90X since u switch weights every exercise, i highly recommend if you have the $. Right now I am doing some p90X exercise as my foot is giving me trouble when I try to do Insanity workout.

BigD is right it is intense and some muscles will be barking, but if you can keep up with it, I think you will see some good results, may need some more carbs though when doing this, I try to do it on low carb, not very easy, and no gas in the tank.

Good day for me today however without my cardio I see my shape changing where I do not want it to. I am going to have to start back in soon, sore foot or not. Hot weather here, will get out on the bike tomorrow, I think the kids and wife are going to Canada's Wonderland, you guys must have heard of that?
shiNer45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:04 PM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Stackdiesel
Stats: 238/196/Unknown
WOE: Low Carb
FJSC Day 10 Report

Weighed in at 203 again this morning.

Breakfast: Bacon & eggs.

Training: Standing Military Press: Worked up to 5 singles at 185; Pull-Ups: 8 sets of 5 reps @ BW.

Lunch: Royal Red Robin burger, no bun, side Caesar in place of fries.

Walking: 6.4 miles.

Dinner: Planning to crush some wings.

Dano - welcome aboard.

Everyone - have a great holiday weekend.

-Stack
Stackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:24 PM   #94
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Lincoln Hawk
Stats: Current 264lbs Goal-Below 250 Male 6'0"
I got a good workout in before dark this evening. I've got plenty of good eats ready for this weekend so I have no excuses to stray.

Ken - Sorry, I had to google Canada's Wonderland. From the name though I figured it was Canada's version of Walley World.

Have a good weekend fellas.
Lincoln Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #95
Major LCF Poster!

Saturday

Had the day to myself and didnt know what to do, so I started digging around a tree stump out front, turned out to be a good 1.5 hrs or so. Couldnt get it out with my suv, so my buddy with a 3500 dually came over and yanked that one out and 2 other trees we didnt want.

Good workout cleaning that crap up today, also managed to do a p90x back and chest this morning, all in all a productive day. Will finish tree and yard cleanup tomorrow.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:31 AM   #96
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: yorick
Stats: 5'8" 187/170/160
Start Date: May 2009
FJSC - Day 11

This report is mostly for yesterday, Day 10.

I've been back on track with eating after being sick a few days ago. I haven't weighed for a few days because I'm still feeling the bloat and don't want to get discouraged.

Stack - I had wings the same night you did. Can't beat those for eating low-carb.

I'm still hacking up a lung, but I went ahead and got a decent workout in yesterday. My kids and I did chin-ups (actually I did chins, they did pull-ups).

I did something like 11,8,5,8 at bodyweight. I didn't push myself too hard coming back from sickness. The chin-up bar is in my garage and I need to adjust to the heat a little better, too.

My kids pretty much did as many sets as I did, although I have to lift them to the bar and assist them a decent amount, especially at the top of the movement. (Great for my neglected overhead movements.) I'm proud of my 6 year old, he can almost do a full pull-up by himself. Barely had to assist him.

shiner - sounds like you had a heck of a day. I hate messing with tree stumps. Glad you also found time for some P90X. Amazing. I probably would have called it quits after the yard job.

I also had to google Canada's Wonderland. Looks pretty awesome. I need to get around to visiting Cedar Point here in the U.S. My Wikipedia tells me that both parks are owned by the same company.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

Hot as heck around here today, supposed to set a record in these parts at 35 degrees celsius today (95 plus humidity). Cold front comes in tomorrow, hate to use it as an excuse, but its way too hot for cardio today. Going to try to hit the weights after dinner.

I actually tried to do my cardio today, but the heat and the foot, gave me enough excuse to stop altogether. I have to get back into this, its a hard go, but after I get a week in, theres no turning back
Old 05-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #98
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Had a pretty good weekend here. Got a few workouts in, but nothing to crazy.

Matt - Nice job on knocking out some chin-ups with the kids.

Ken - Hope that foot comes around soon. Still no idea what happened with it? Maybe bruised a bone or damaged a ligament/tendon.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Doug K
Stats: 229/195/140; goal: 30" waist (5'4" tall)
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: April 2011
I just got back from a church retreat, my first since I went LC last April. It was a challenging food environment. The camp's menu was on the starchy side. I brought some plain raw almonds, so I had something high-fat that didn't need refrigeration. I ended up eating lots of salad. I didn't eat any sugar or grain, but I had more fruit than usual, and my first banana in over a year.

I'll check in with my weight tomorrow morning, but I'm stopping by today to say "Thank you!" to all the veterans on this board.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:42 AM   #100
Major LCF Poster!

Doug good to see you back

Ooba, no idea what happened came out of nowhere, today I am going to try to wrap my foot in tape, see if that helps.

Yesterday I took my co-op student out for lunch, pulled pork sandwich on a pretzel bun, sounds good right, well from 10-12am I was tossing and turning and tooting, stomach was killing, got up to goto the washroom and puked a couple of times, felt better went to sleep. We both had the same thing for lunch, hopefully he didnt get sick. Feel alright today though!!!
Old 05-29-2012, 05:52 AM   #101
Senior LCF Member

FJSC Days 11-13 Report

Weigh-In Sat. 5/26: 202
Weigh-In Sun. 5/27: 203
Weigh-In Mon. 5/28: 203

Weighed in at 201 this morning (0800).

Down 14 lbs. since 5/16.

Ate well all weekend, and did some hiking (slow, with the boys) and walking around the zoo. No structured walks.

Training was random TRX and other bodyweight stuff throughout the weekend.

It looks like the big induction losses are slowing down. I feel like I'm entering one of those "you look worse before you look better" phases. Flat muscles and squishy fat. Clothes are fitting much better again. Will tough out the "skinny fat" phase and push through for some real fat loss.

Doug - thanks for the Memorial Day salute.

Last edited by Stackdiesel; 05-29-2012 at 05:53 AM.. Reason: Addition
Old 05-29-2012, 06:30 AM   #102
Major LCF Poster!

FJSC - Day 13

I believe this is day 13 for the challenge.

Just a quick check in. Super busy the past few days.

I weighed 174.0 yesterday, after drinking most of a large, zero-carb, Rockstar energy drink.
yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:00 AM   #103
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Doug K
Stats: 229/195/140; goal: 30" waist (5'4" tall)
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: April 2011
Holding steady at 150. I enjoyed the carb-up over the weekend, but I'm probably going to keep them under 30 g net/day for the rest of the week.

Stack - 14 pounds in 2 weeks - yowza!
Doug K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:35 AM   #104
Major LCF Poster!

Weighed in at 215 this morning. I was hopping for some bigger results early on than I have gotten. it's going to be tough to get my goal of 205 by July 4. I have reached one of my mini goals of having one of my "medium" suits fit me well by June 8 when we are doing a new firm picture. I can now button the jacket without fear of a button flying off. By next Friday, maybe it will even be little loose!

I had a great long weekend. Our office closed at two on Friday and the managing partner told me to leave and not come back until today. I had a lot of good family time and even a little "me" time. I jogged each day and even added a p90x workout on Friday and Sunday. Eats were on plan, with the minor exception of a few cold beverages by the pool (lower carb variety, of course).
Old 05-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #105
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Colo Alex
Stats: 297/231/<200 (6'0", 47 y.o.)
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Back on track 9/7/11
Hey Guys,

The pain in my leg did not get any better in the three weeks I did not hike so I’m back on the trails. I hiked 3 miles at lunch today and my eats are on plan. All the stress in my life only gets worse when I let my eating choices slide off plan and then the guilt comes and it starts to spiral out of control. So I’m up ten pounds since I last checked in and I’m trying to get my butt back in gear.
Colo Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #106
Senior LCF Member

FJSC Day 14 Report

Weigh-In: 201

Breakfast: Broccoli & cheddar omelette.

Training: TRX & Bodyweight work.

Lunch: Tuna salad w/ swiss cheese

Walking: 6.4 miles

Dinner: Cheeseburger salad.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:59 AM   #107
Major LCF Poster!

FJSC - Day 14

Nothing new to report.

Major exercise for the past couple of days was walking and carrying kids at Six Flags yesterday.

I need to hit the weights tonight. Gotta suck it up and fight past my general fatigue.

Alex - Sorry to hear the pain isn't getting any better. Ten pounds - sounds like it is a good time to get things back in gear. We all know how easily the pounds come back if we let things slide.

Big D - Glad you had a good weekend. You still have room for progress by July 4. At least you are past the point of injuring others with a button. Keep on working hard.

Stack - What exercises do you do with your TRX system? Also, great job on your weight loss. I about posted something similar about looking worse before looking better. My muscles are looking pretty flat, and I'm generally feeling a little squishy.

I'm a little jealous about your rapid losses. But I'm trying to pace myself a little. I don't have a whole lot more fat that I want to lose. I actually fit into some of my 30" clothes recently, but I want to make sure I can fit into them after a good few days of carb ups.
yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:15 AM   #108
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorick View Post
Stack - What exercises do you do with your TRX system? Also, great job on your weight loss. I about posted something similar about looking worse before looking better. My muscles are looking pretty flat, and I'm generally feeling a little squishy.

I'm a little jealous about your rapid losses. But I'm trying to pace myself a little. I don't have a whole lot more fat that I want to lose. I actually fit into some of my 30" clothes recently, but I want to make sure I can fit into them after a good few days of carb ups.
Matt,

I do, among others, modified muscle-ups (Google it), suspended push-ups, inverted rows, front raises, side/rear laterals, curls, triceps extensions, and a move that looks like kind of a combination ab-wheel rollout and dumbbell pullover. That last ones kills the abs and serratus.

Speaking of the ab-wheel, I don't know how many of you guys already know this, but it is not one of those useless gadgets. Ab-wheels are the real deal.

I wouldn't be too jealous of my quick scale losses, for at least two reasons: (1) I'm fatter than you and have a lot more to lose; and (2) I was really overfed, bloated and primed for a diet when I kicked this off. No diet fatigue whatsoever. In fact, I think the last time I consciously restricted my eating was last October when I lost weight for my insurance exam.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:01 AM   #109
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Checking in. Doing well, but not much new to report.

I googled some of those TRX exercises. There is one of those suspension trainers at the Gold's I go to, but I've never really realized all the potential exercises you can do with that until I just watched some youtube clips. Interesting stuff.

Agree the ab wheel is definitely no joke. First time I tried one I felt like I tore the ab muscles off my pelvis.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:13 AM   #110
Major LCF Poster!

No exercise yesterday, but eats were clean. It was my older son's 8th bday and I avoided his special dinner and dessert. I didn't really sacrifice anything as I threw a monster t-bone on the grill for me in lieu of the pasta dish everyone else had.

Rough day for my firm yesterday. Some local elections didn't go our way and one of my associates (who is 1LT in the National Guard) found out that he is getting an all expense year long trip to Afghanistan courtesy of Uncle Sam. I don't really want to go into details, but he's getting a really raw deal.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:38 AM   #111
Major LCF Poster!

Thing plugging along around here.

Tried my cardio again after taping up my foot, only got 2/3 through it till I couldnt stand the pain anymore. Did some google research after and the pain is coming from my cuboid bone by the 5th metacarpal. May have a small fracture in it, have a DR appt next thursday.

Funny thing was, about an hour after my foot felt fine. yesterday i just started back in on the weights instead.

Stack, I have a buddy (hes a big guy) who does the ab wheel, after a year or so hes happy with being able to do 20 some odd good ones. Only thing he told me was if I do it be careful, you can really hurt your back on that thing if not done right.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:11 AM   #112
Senior LCF Member

FJSC Day 15 Report (for Weds. 5/30)

Weighed in at 200 yesterday morning.

Breakfast: Sausage & eggs.

Walk 1: 6.4 miles.

Training: Dips and Pull-Ups

Lunch: Tuna salad w/ Swiss cheese.

Walk 2: 3.2 miles (9.6 miles total for the day).

Dinner: 4 tbsp. Power Peanut Butter and 2 slices cheddar cheese on a Flatout 8g. net carb flatbread (really needed to eat something different).

Big D - Best wishes to your associate for a safe deployment and return home. If he's a JAG officer, he should be pretty safe.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:28 AM   #113
Major LCF Poster!

Another good day for eats, but no exercise, as I went to the Rangers game last night. Not fun, they were down 17-0 after 3 innings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stackdiesel View Post
Big D - Best wishes to your associate for a safe deployment and return home. If he's a JAG officer, he should be pretty safe.
That's part of the craziness of this deal. After dealing with the bureaucracy for 18 months he was finally transferred and sworn in as a JAG officer about a month ago. Last Thursday, it only took one two-line email from someone at Division HQ to get his transfer rescinded. He was (and is now again) a Signal Officer and is going to be imbedded with the Afghan army in one of the hot zones. Apparently they have a desperate need for Signal Officers to train the Afghanis. Funny thing is, he's a Signal Officer in name only. He received minimal training more than 5 years ago in OCS and hasn't had any since then, as they have had no equipment to train on. He's no more valuable as a signal officer than any Joe off the street. He understands that it is part of being an officer in the U.S. Military, but he's not real happy about it. To make it worse, he is scheduled to get married next month. He's been told that he can get a dispensation to attend his wedding, but not their honeymoon.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:25 AM   #114
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm still pluggin along.

Stack - You're really racking up the miles. Nice.

Alex - Try not to beat yourself up too much. I've been in the same boat many times where I let the emotions of a small gain turn into a big gain.

BigD - Your associate's situation does sound like a tough pill to swallow. Hoping he stays safe over there.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:34 AM   #115
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiNer45 View Post
a pretzel bun
I got introduced to these things last fall by a coworker. I started buying one or two from the deli counter every time we made a grocery store run at work. Then eat them on the ride back. Turned into a pretty bad habit.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:56 PM   #116
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Boot Camp Charlie June 2012 Edition