Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: yorick
Stats: 5'8" 187/170/160
Start Date: May 2009
Day 4 - 4th of July challenge

Weighed 172.6 today. I believe that is 4.8 lbs total down.

Stack - looks like the weight is coming off easy for you too. We just did a big landscape overhaul also.

You're right, Avengers was awesome. I'm usually a Hulk fan - can't beat getting mad and getting swole, but I gotta try to look more like Captain American now. I told my kids they could call me either Dadkin America or Mattkin America. My daughter rolled her eyes at me.

Shiner - hope your foot gets better soon. Hope the sleep problems get better also. As long as I have a good book to read in bed, I sleep like a baby no matter where I'm at.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2012, 12:13 PM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

Day 4 workout

I sometimes have trouble challenging myself with my workouts since I workout alone.

I love to bench, and I saw Stack's 8 sets of 3 reps @ 225 the other day and decided to try to see if I could duplicate his feat.

I succeeded - 8 sets of 3 with 225. Feels awesome. So, Stack, please don't tell me your notation meant three sets of 8, because I can't redo my workout.

I didn't do any rows, and I'm not going to pretend I'm as strong as Stack, I just wanted a challenge.
yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Stackdiesel
Stats: 238/196/Unknown
WOE: Low Carb
FJSC Day 5 (of 49) Report

Weighed in at 206 this morning (0815).

Breakfast: Bacon & eggs.

Lunch: Tuna salad with swiss cheese, 1 jalpeno cheddar hot dog.

Training: BP Lockout: worked up to a single at 345; DB Hammer Curl: 5x8@35's.

Dinner: "Pizza Toppings" low-carb casserole. Decided to experiment with a recipe early on this time and try to avoid eating the same 3 things until they nauseate me. It was really good. Included Sausage, pepperoni, eggs, mozzarella cheese, cream, green pepper, onion and seasonings. It was really good.

Did more yard work and going to go for a short walk after I type this.

Matt - The weight is coming off easy at this point. I feel like I was good and fattened up and ready for a keto run. I tested for ketosis with a strip for the first time tonight and it was deep purple despite being very well hydrated. Let the fat burning begin.

You got the bench workout right - 8 sets of 3 @ 225. Nice job knocking it out.
Stackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #64
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Lincoln Hawk
Stats: Current 264lbs Goal-Below 250 Male 6'0"
Ate well over the weekend and continued with the interval training. Still enjoying it and the time seems to pass quickly during the workouts. I helped a neighbor with some landscaping yesterday, that's always good for burning some extra calories.
Lincoln Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:41 AM   #65
Major LCF Poster!

Day 5 - 4th of July challenge

No weigh in today even though it is Monday. Had a hard time getting my mind together at 4 AM for work, so decided to not deviate from my normal routine too much.

Eating has been going well. I might be pushing the carbs a little bit on the veggies I've been eating. I actually ate some Chinese take out yesterday - a garlic shrimp meal that should be fairly low carb. The sauce wasn't sweet, but I didn't slurp the stuff because I'm sure there is some flour or starch in there.

Today back on track with eating stuff I can definitely know the carb count on.

oobs - great job on sticking with the interval training. Seems like messing with landscaping has been a popular trend around here. That's definitely good for some extra calorie burning.

Stack - thanks. If figured your workout notation was what I consider standard. I've always looked at it that the weight always goes by the reps. So 225x3x8 is the same as 8x3x225. I think that's fairly standard.

Also, great job at working up to a 345 single. I need to look more into Broz or straight-up Bulgarian training.

Last edited by yorick; 05-21-2012 at 03:43 AM..
Old 05-21-2012, 07:06 AM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Monday Check-In

All-Time High: 238
Current High as of 05/16/2012: 215
This Morning: 205
-10 since last Wednesday (start of FJSC)

I had planned to go for a short walk (like 2 miles or so) last night after the kids went to bed, but got into a groove with the iPod and ended up walking a 10K. A little slower than my normal pace and didn't time it.

Will submit today's report later on.

Matt - thanks. It was just a lockout, but with a pretty good ROM - about 8"-10" - not just a 3-4" top-end lockout.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:03 AM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Doug K
Stats: 229/201/140; goal: 30" waist (5'4" tall)
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: April 2011
Shiner - congrats on getting the job!

150 this morning, down from 151 for the last 3 weeks. I'm glad to see it, especially as I've been eating a little more than usual this week. I've had a cold, and I've rationalized to myself that I need an extra snack or two to rebuild my immune system.
Doug K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #68
Major LCF Poster!

Stats: 265/215.8/190 (6'2")
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Original 2/9/04 restart too many times
Sorry to hear about your son, Stack. That is identical to where mine broke his. He's doing really well and after about 2 days of stiffness, he's getting the full range of motion back. We spent all day Saturday outside with baseball, opening of our community pool and then time in our pool. Sunday afternoon I golfed with some friends. Despite frequent applications of sunscreen, I've got a pretty good sunburn working!

I didn't weigh this morning, but my eats have been really good and I'm keeping up the jogging.
Not quite so Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #69
Major LCF Poster!

Doug - great job. A pound is a pound. You've made amazing progress.

Big D - great job keeping up with the jogging. It's good to see so many people exercising.

Sorry about the sunburn. I don't burn easy, but I would be guaranteed to burn if I played a round of golf, at least based on the last time I played where I had like 88 strokes for 9 holes.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #70
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Eats were on track today. Not much else new to report. Good to see everyone doing well.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:26 PM   #71
Senior LCF Member

FJSC Day 6 Report

Typing on my phone. Good day of eating and training. Nothing to write home about.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:20 AM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

Day 6 - 4th of July challenge

Big disappointing weigh-in this AM. Back up to 175.0. I hope it has to do with a fairly high salt consumption over the past couple of days.

Played tag and ran around in the yard with my kids for awhile last night. That was my only exercise yesterday.

I have a cold today. I'll probably hit some chin-ups tomorrow, and then start getting back on track with overhead press, sit-ups, and goblet squats. I'm off work the next two days. I'll be walking at least 2 miles each of those days on top of whatever else I plan.

To fail to plan is to plan to fail.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:39 AM   #73
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shiNer45
Stats: 208 / 173 / under 170
WOE: Lower Carb, Insanity, P90X, etc
Start Date: August 10, 2004
Tuesday

Hey guys,

Started back in to the exercise today, tried the cardio routine and foot started to ache, i think I am going to ride my bike or run, something else for the time being.

So instead I hit the weights and did a back and chest routine. Feel great, gonna end it off with a good sized protein shake, low carb of course.

Went golfing with my dad yesterday, and as usual I did great the first nine, got par on 3 holes, then as per usual the game went in the stinker the second nine. My dad had this 2 for 1 card, so it was $22 each with a cart ! Which is a great price. The course was pretty decent too.

Alex - where you at buddy?? Check in.
shiNer45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:22 AM   #74
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm off work today and knocked out the rest of the yard work I needed to get done this morning. Probably going to take it easy the rest of the day. I'll get a workout in after dinner.

I eat a lot of chicken and turkey and my inventory in the freezer is just about out. None of my local grocery stores have had any specials this past week. So, I'm hoping this coming up week they do. Hurts to pay full retail on meat.

Matt - Extra salt has a pretty big effect on my weight too. It can be a pain when you weigh often, but nice when your body dumps that excess water. You never know what effects an oncoming cold may do to water retention too.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #75
Major LCF Poster!

Still on track. No exercise yesterday, but eats were good. I found out a little good news yesterday. After complaining for three years to our community pool about not opening until 10 am, they've finally adjusted the summer hours to open at 6 am. We've got a pool in our backyard, but it's too small to swim laps, so I'm planning on heading over there a couple of mornings a week to switch up my exercise.

Ken - Golf in Canada? I figured you guys still had snow on the ground! J/K
Old 05-22-2012, 04:20 PM   #76
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not quite so Big D View Post

Ken - Golf in Canada? I figured you guys still had snow on the ground! J/K
Gotta use orange balls and its hard to get a grip on the club with mittens on , but yeah its possible up here!

Had the day off, so went for a 23km bike ride in hilly terrain, my front wheel is warped, my buddy said I should get a new one, I said why? it makes it harder to go faster, seems like a better workout to me.

For any one that has a smartphone and runs/bikes/walks, I downloaded an app called Endomondo, it clocks where you go on a map, calories burned, speed etc all using gps. it works well (as long as you turn the gps on, i forgot today)

Going to throw bike riding in the mix now, since it didnt bother my foot at all, just my butt on the seat.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #77
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This evening I was getting ready to do some interval training when I notice the kids across the street setting up for a t-ball game. So, I ditched the interval workout to chase two 3 year olds and one 5 year old around for an hour. Way better workout. Hilarious too, every hit they go for a home run.

BigD - That's great about the neighborhood pool. I'd love to have a pool big enough to do laps close by.

Ken - I've got a few friends that use endomondo. Definitely a cool app. It even tracks elevation change.

Last edited by Lincoln Hawk; 05-22-2012 at 05:51 PM..
Old 05-23-2012, 05:32 AM   #78
Senior LCF Member

FJSC Day 7 Report (for Tues 5/22)

Busy day yesterday. Was down in our NJ office trying to get some discovery out the door.

Weighed in at 205 yesterday morning - same as day before. Weighed in at 204 this morning.

No breakfast.

Walked 3.4 miles.

Lunch: Diner: Omelette with sausage, bacon, ham, green pepper & onion, and 2 sausage links.

Dinner: Wendy's Triple w/ cheese, no bun, no ketchup.

Taking a break from lifting until tomorrow.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:01 AM   #79
Senior LCF Member

FJSC Day 8 Report (for Weds. 5/23)

Another busy day in the NJ office yesterday.

Weighed 204 yesterday morning.

No lifting or walking.

Breakfast: Skipped.

Lunch: Same ometette & sausage as yesterday.

Dinner: Cauliflower crust pizza. This was a pleasant surprise.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:30 AM   #80
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Doing well here. I got the fridge and freezer restocked too.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:54 AM   #81
Major LCF Poster!

Day 8 - FJSC

Not doing well. I've been sick for 3 days and decided not to diet hard while I'm sick. I'm still not sure if it's just a bad cold or something else.

Hit the carbage a little yesterday. Not really because of a lack of willpower but more to not fight my body while it's fighting whatever I have.

Weight not good - I believe it was 179.8 today, more than when I started the challenge.

I'm not really sure what I'm doing today - I might allow a banana and some other fruit.

I'm off work today like I was yesterday, but no real exercise. I hate not being able to workout when I'm off work. It is what it is.

I'm not out of the challenge. I'll keep my carb levels lower than yesterday and see about hitting things full force ASAP.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:14 AM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorick View Post
Not doing well. I've been sick for 3 days and decided not to diet hard while I'm sick.
I can't tolerate meat, eggs, etc. when I'm sick. It's usually the only time I have a sweet tooth. It seems like my body just wants quick digesting/absorbing sugars and doesn't want to be burdened with digesting meat and fat. I just eat whatever appeals to me until I get better.

Hope you feel better soon.

-Stack
Old 05-24-2012, 07:34 AM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Colo Alex
Stats: 297/231/<200 (6'0", 47 y.o.)
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Back on track 9/7/11
Hey Guys,

Iíve been AWOL and struggling. I have some sort of nerve issue in my back that is burning down my leg. Iíve tried to take it easy with the hiking but nothing seems to help. Not sure what is going on. All I know is it hurts like a mother. Standing, sitting, laying down, stretching not stretching, Advil, Tylenol, nothing helps. Anyway, work and life are getting in the way but Iím still hanging in there. Still bouncing around 225. Drop gain drop gain. Not a good thing. Iíve got to do better, but I need to be able to get over one hurdle at a time and right now my weight is not on the top of my list. It should be but it isnít, so there it is.

Sounds like you guys are getting after it. That is great.

Ken Ė congrats on the job! That is great. Iím really happy for you.

Everyone else, keep up the great work.

My Journal
Colo Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:12 AM   #84
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Matt - Hope you get better soon. Similar thing happened a few weeks ago for me too. I had just gotten about a week or so of clean eating in and came down with something. I was able to keep the diet clean, but quit exercising for about a week until I was feeling better. Then added it back slowly.

Alex- Sorry to hear about the back. Hope you get some relief soon. Years back I had a boss who had sciatic nerve issues. It looked pretty painful at times.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:50 PM   #85
Major LCF Poster!

Good to see you back Alex !! Also hope the pain subsides. It sort of sounds like sciatica, but im no doctor, does say on net if it is it, you may need anti-inflammatories to calm it down. Check in with your DR dude. Hope you feel better.

Did my back and chest exercises, was going to ride the bike too but my butt still is sore from the other days ride. I hope to go tomorrow.

Eats arent great, I have to stop eating at nite, I know better too.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #86
Major LCF Poster!

Weighed in at 216 this morning. It's been on a slow but steady descent. Exercise has gone by the wayside this week as I've been working long hours. Last night I left work at 7 to to a school program and returned back to office once it was over for a few more hours. I am thankful that we have the work to be this busy, but the hours can be a drain. I don't know how the big firm guys do the 70-80 hour weeks on a consistent basis.

Alex - sorry to hear about your back. I've been there too many times so I feel your pain! I know it's hard, but try not to let it (and all the other crap) put a dent in all the great work you've done in the last year.

Matt - I hear you on eating badly while sick. I hope you get better quick.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #87
Senior LCF Member

FJSC Day 9 Report

Weighed in at 203 this morning.

Breakfast: Bacon & eggs.

Training: Upper body workout using mostly Hammer Strength machines.

Lunch: Tuna salad with swiss cheese.

Walked 3.2 miles after lunch.

Dinner: Leftover pizza topping casserole and LC meatballs (egg & parmesan cheese as the "glue").

Walked another 3.1 miles after the boys went to bed.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:33 PM   #88
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dano
Stats: 395/370/180
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 1/7/2013
Hi guys,I'm ready to start losing again. Did the LC thing in 09 and did pretty well.I screwed up last couple years doing it again and things are going slow.

I just got p90x to speed things up. If any of you guys on this? Just wondering how it worked for you and where would you get your p90x equipment at?
dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:43 AM   #89
Major LCF Poster!

Day 9 - FJSC

Thanks for the well wishes guys.

I'm back in the game today. I'm feeling 80% better.

I'm not very hungry and might skip breakfast today. I had a lot of protein yesterday.

Food at work for today: Chicken salad and plain Fage Greek yogurt.

I need to learn to make the Greek yogurt at home. I think it's just a matter of straining regular yogurt, which I occasionally make at home.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:12 AM   #90
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Welcome dano. I can't help with p90x, but it sounds like an intense workout. Also, don't forget that walking is great for fat loss too. I lost many a pounds just by walking.