Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2012, 08:58 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Stackdiesel
Stats: 238/196/Unknown
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorick View Post

I'm in, official day 1 starting tomorrow.
Awesome. Let's make a go of it.

I got my numbers back up doing John Broz-style high frequency training with a lot of low-rep sets, usually working up to a heavy single, with "heavy" being relative based on how I felt that day (autoregulating). I was squatting 6 days a week a lot of the time. I'm generally going to stick with that style of training, focusing on upper body. I'm going to lay off the squats and deadlifts while dieting and do as much walking as possible.

-Stack
Stackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Lincoln Hawk
Stats: Current 264lbs Goal-Below 250 Male 6'0"
Good to see Stack and Matt. Maybe ChasingBulk will feel the energy and get in here too. Last I remember he was about to move. Would love to hear where he ended up. Stack that's awesome to hear you started your own firm.

Ken - Any word yet?

DougK - How's it going?
Lincoln Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobatooba View Post
Stack that's awesome to hear you started your own firm.
Thanks buddy. It's nice to be my own boss for the first time. Hope all is well with you.

-Stack
Old 05-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Fourth of July Sub-Challenge Day 1

Weighed in at 215 today. Don't know if the extra two pounds over yesterday is just transient bloat, but that's where I'm starting.

Breakfast: Skipped. Wanted to kick things off with a 16-18 hour fast.

Training: Worked up to 3 singles at 275 on the bench, and did a total of 24 chins throughout the workout.

Lunch (1330): Royal Red Robin burger, no bun, side Caesar salad in place of fries. Skipped the mayo too. According to Red Robin's nutrition calculator, this was 868/67/11/55 (cal/fat/carb/pro), but they don't let you remove the croutons from the side Caesar. Ditching those probably shaved a few carbs.

Walked 3.6 miles in 1:05 after lunch.

Will have a bacon and cheddar omelette for dinner.

-Stack

Last edited by Stackdiesel; 05-16-2012 at 03:24 PM..
Old 05-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shiNer45
Stats: 208 / 179 / 170
WOE: Lower Carb, Exercise
Start Date: August 10, 2004
Quote:
Ken - Any word yet?
They checked my 3rd reference on tuesday afternoon. Just waiting to hear now. I applied for this job back in the middle of december so its been awhile!

Things going ok here, still a bit sore after mondays chest and back routine. Usually im sore for a day and then ok, must be rusty.

Doug - Where ya hiding???
shiNer45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:31 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: yorick
Stats: 5'8" 187/170/160
Start Date: May 2009
Fourth of July sub-challenge Day 1 (for me)

Stack - Great job on the lifting. Broz method is basically a form of Bulgarian training, isn't it? I've seen a lot of people transition to high frequency/low rep training over at the Starting Strength forums with a decent amount of success.

I weighed in at 177.4 today.

I went ahead and took advantage of my post workout hunger and ate like a king for dinner last night. (Like a king for me means a bunch of McDonalds burgers with the buns.)

Looks like me and Stack had chins on the mind yesterday - I did 24 weighted chins with bodyweight+22.5 lbs (4 sets of 6), and a total of something like 38 chins including the warm up ones and a last set of unweighted ones.

That was my only workout. Felt a little weak and tired.

My workout plan is mostly going to consist of chins, bench press, overhead press, walking, and probably some goblet squats thrown in to keep a squat groove going, and to keep me somewhat flexible.

I might do a few regular pull-ups here and there when I walk under the bar in my garage, and throw in some light circuits of pull-ups/sit-ups/push-ups in some combo, trying not to fatigue same-group muscles before the next scheduled main workout.

Edit: I forgot to mention my goals. Scale wise, my goal will probably put me between 165 and 167 of non-dehydrated body weight. I have some clothes that I've gotten a little too big for, and my main goal is to feel comfortable in those without having to suck the gut in.

Last edited by yorick; 05-17-2012 at 05:38 AM..
yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:33 AM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiNer45 View Post
They checked my 3rd reference on tuesday afternoon. Just waiting to hear now. I applied for this job back in the middle of december so its been awhile!
Good luck with the job prospect. Six months is a long time to wait, but checking references sounds like you have reason to be optimistic.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:35 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Good to see Stack and Matt.
Thanks oobs. Good job starting on the interval training. Clothes fitting better is a great sign that something is working for you. Keep on working hard.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:37 AM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ken- After seeing your avatar and hearing you and (I think) Bulk talk about Trailer Park Boys awhile back, I watched the movie they made in 06'. Pretty funny stuff. I don't have cable and never heard of the show before, but that avatar forced me to check it out. Not sure how similar the movie is to the TV series, but I saw someone posted the movie on youtube so I was able to watch it at work a few nights ago.

Quote:
Thanks oobs. Good job starting on the interval training. Clothes fitting better is a great sign that something is working for you. Keep on working hard.
I dabbled a little with it in the past and probably need to research it more, but I'm really enjoying it as a change in routine. My favorite part is with the short intervals no matter how much you want to stop, there's always break coming up.

I'm trying to come up with more exercises I can do at home. I'm finding that variety is important to staying motivated. I'd love to add some stuff I could do in the back yard. Maybe similar to what they do outside at Cross Fit gyms.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stackdiesel View Post
I squatted 405 for 2 sets of 5 reps, deep and strong.
Impressive, but could you handle POWER SQUATS with THE RACK?
Old 05-17-2012, 08:44 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

I'm trying to come up with more exercises I can do at home. I'm finding that variety is important to staying motivated. I'd love to add some stuff I could do in the back yard. Maybe similar to what they do outside at Cross Fit gyms.
That's really a great idea. And, fortunately, there are a ton of options.

I'm not sure how much you have looked into it, but here are a few things you could research and try: Sandbags, tire flips, sledge hammer work, slosh pipes, prowlers/sleds, burpees, jump rope, box jumps, rope conditioning, atlas stones, and many other things.

Last edited by yorick; 05-17-2012 at 08:45 AM..
Old 05-17-2012, 08:57 AM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
That's really a great idea. And, fortunately, there are a ton of options.

I'm not sure how much you have looked into it, but here are a few things you could research and try: Sandbags, tire flips, sledge hammer work, slosh pipes, prowlers/sleds, burpees, jump rope, box jumps, rope conditioning, atlas stones, and many other things.
Thanks. Yeah, I've just started looking into this type of stuff and there seems to be tons of ideas out there. That's great though. From your post I did just google slosh pipes, pretty cool idea. I've got a few things like a heavy 6x6 timber, some cinder blocks, and plenty of wood to build some boxes to get me started.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Doug K
Stats: 229/195/140; goal: 30" waist (5'4" tall)
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: April 2011
Hey guys, I'm back! Stack - starting your own business takes a lot of guts. Kudos! And my hat is off to all you guys who are working out.

I'm holding the line around 151 pounds. Most of the time I keep carbs around 30-40 g, though this weekend I had a couple of 50-60 carb days because I ate some plain yogurt and salted peanuts.

I haven't been around much lately because I've been working on my 4th step moral inventory for Overeaters Anonymous, which I began attending in September. I'm also taking a couple of classes at my church; one on prayer and meditation, the other on getting your financial house in order. They also have writing assignments, calls to prayer partners, etc. I'm still logging my food, and reporting it to my sponsor every day, but I haven't had as much free computer time.

Life is so much better than it was last year, when I weighed 75 pounds more than I do right now. I can run up a flight of steps, and walk down them without feeling like one of my knees is about to fold under the excess weight. Muscle-building is definitely the next frontier for me (I know, I've said that here before). But if I don't shore up my spiritual foundation, I'm not going to be able to hold on to my physical recovery, so that's my priority right now.

Yesterday's chow:

7 am 3 eggs fried in 1 tbsp butter, 1 c almond milk
12:30 pm 2 c lettuce w/ 5 oz cucumber, 1/2 sliced green pepper, 2 roma tomatoes, 6 slices pepperoni, 1 tbsp olive oil and red wine vinegar; 1 turkey burger w/ 1 tbsp mayo
6:30 pm 4 oz chicken stir-fried in 2/3 tbsp olive oil w/ 8 oz zucchini, 1/3 c chopped onion, 1/3 c shredded broccoli, 1/3 sliced red pepper, 1 tbsp sliced almonds
11 pm 1/2 c cottage cheese, 1/4 c chopped walnuts, 1/4 c frozen raspberries, 1/4 c frozen blueberries

per *********: 1589 calories, 39 g net carbs, 97 g protein, 63% calories from fat

Last edited by Doug K; 05-17-2012 at 10:05 AM..
Doug K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Impressive, but could you handle POWER SQUATS with THE RACK?
Love it. 30 lb. squats. The cornerstone of strength and athleticism.

Matt - Nice job on the weighted chins.

Doug - Thanks buddy. Glad to see you are taking good care of yourself on all fronts.

Ken - Good luck with the new job prospect.

Big D - Hope your son is recovering and getting ready for summer fun.

I'm not sure what my goal is with this sub-challenege, other than to get the excess fat back off. I don't feel like I'm as fat as I was before at 215, but can't believe I'm up 25 lb. from when I was down to 190. My short-term goal is to make sure I can squeeze my a** into a pair of suit pants when I have to go to court next Friday. The cargo shorts I wear to work these days are much more forgiving.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Stats: 265/215.8/190 (6'2")
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Original 2/9/04 restart too many times
BCC is alive!

My son got his cast off this morning. The doc still wants him in a sling with no sports for 3 weeks, but at least he can go swimming now.

I'm definitely in on the challenge - 50+ days under 30 grams of carbs. I weighed in at 219 this morning, so I'm going to set a goal of 205 for July 4. It's not a super aggressive number, but not one that I can coast and get to it. I'm now 4 days on plan.

Stack - squeezing the back side into pants doesn't get to be a problem for me, but sometimes I worry my jacket button becoming a projectile when I attempt to button it.
Not quite so Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:39 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Fourth of July Sub-Challenge Day 2 (of 49) Report

Walked 3.3 miles in an hour first thing this morning.

Weighed in at 212 after walking (0715).

Breakfast: Bacon & eggs.

Training (sets x reps): Bench: 8x3 @ 225, Barbell Row: 8x3 @ 245 (alternating sets).

Lunch: Same Red Robin meal as yesterday.

Planning to have sirloin steak for dinner.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not quite so Big D View Post
My son got his cast off this morning. The doc still wants him in a sling with no sports for 3 weeks, but at least he can go swimming now.
I'm glad he's healing up. Was it obvious that he broke it? Like was his pain just unbearable, or did you take him for an x-ray just to be on the safe side?

My kids get hurt so much, I'm always worried they might have some type of fracture.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:51 AM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Ok so now this place is hopping again !!! Great to see.

Oobs - re: trailer park boys, I thought the tv shows were better than the movies for sure. Check them out if you can.

I got the call yesterday - I got the job!! Looks like I start in 3 weeks on June 11th. The sucky thing is I had to tell my present boss, who knew about it, he by far has been the best boss I have ever had. Im really pumped and nervous a bit at starting over.

Exercise here has piddled away to 1 day a week. I intened to change that come monday. That should give enough time for my foot to heal. Going to finish the Insanity program I started way back.

Alex - where are you dude ??
Old 05-18-2012, 07:19 AM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I'm glad he's healing up. Was it obvious that he broke it? Like was his pain just unbearable, or did you take him for an x-ray just to be on the safe side?

My kids get hurt so much, I'm always worried they might have some type of fracture.
He was in a lot of pain and his arm was pretty swollen. My wife runs them to the doctor if they sneeze, so we might not be the best comparison. If it had been his older brother, I might not have taken him to get x-rays because he is a complainer. With the little one though, if he complains, something is wrong. Personally, if it had been his older brother, I might not have taken him to get x-rays because he is a complainer. With the little one though, if he complains, something is wrong.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:25 AM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiNer45 View Post
I got the job!!
Congrats!
Old 05-18-2012, 07:56 AM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ken - Congratulations. Starting a new chapter is always exciting.

BigD - Good to hear your son got the cast off.

Dougk - Sounds like you're taking all the right steps.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:14 AM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Ken - Congratulations on the job!

BigD - Thanks for the info.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Stack's 4th of July Challenge - Day 2

I'm making a quick check in. Taking the kids to the movies today.

I walked approx. 1.5 miles yesterday. Real rough estimate. Pushed a stroller for the walk.

Weight today 175.6. Down 1.8 lbs, letting go of some water weight.

Not sure if I'll get any barbell training in today. Busy day all around.

Challenge tonight - going to my mom's for dinner. I plan on packing my own food.

Keep on truckin' folks.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

I plan on packing my own food.
Wow you are brave, everytime I do that I dont hear the end of it.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Fourth of July Sub-Challenge Day 3 (of 49) Report

Well, in the vein of "you can't write this stuff," we took my 3-year old son to the ER this morning for guess what - a broken arm. The boys were wrestling on our bed the other night and the little guy fell off hard. Like Big D's younger son, the little guy is very stoic and seems to have a high pain tolerance, but we could tell something was wrong last night. He has a very slight fracture in the left humerus just above the elbow.

He's doing great, in a cast for 3 weeks and, for now, thinks the black cast he picked is like War Machine armor.

Didn't manage to do any training today with all this going on, but the diet was on point. Weighed in at 210 this morning (0750).
Old 05-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Ken - congrats on the new job!
Old 05-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stack that is a crazy coincidence. Too bad we weren't talking about a big lottery win or something instead. Good to hear he's handling it in stride. Hope he has a quick recovery.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Day 3 check in

Stack - sorry about your son's arm. Sounds like it could have been worse.

No weigh in today. Have had a busy past couple of days. Watched Avengers, sleep-over at grandma's house with the kids, etc. Food has been decent.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Day 4 (of 49) Report

Thanks guys. My son is doing great and had no problems sleeping with the cast for the first time last night. He's a tough little dude.

Matt - Avengers was awesome.

Day 4:

Weighed in at 208 this morning (0830).

Breakfast: Bacon & eggs.

Training: Standing DB Press: 5x5 @ 75's; Pull-Ups: 5x5 @ BW.

Lunch: Tuna salad with swiss cheese slices.

Worked on the landscaping overhaul in the front yard. Dug 14 holes (some small, some fairly big), hauled the wheelbarrow around, and other stuff. No walking today.

Dinner: Big plate of pastrami with swiss cheese melted on top.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:55 AM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Sunday

Things going well here. Staying off the exercise for the foot problems to heal. Yeterday we unloaded and spread 2 yards of mulch, and some yardwork. Tomorrow we have golf planned.

Tuesday I try to start back in on the cardio. I have noticed lately since I have stopped that my sleeping pattern is all screwed up now. Before I fell asleep quickly, these days I cant sleep unless I take something to get me there.

Stack - my son makes me cringe every time he is playing with his friend, its a matter of time I think.